• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-air is really good against Peach. It beats a lot of her stuff from below and comes out really fast, so if you need to go on the offensive, running in and U-airing is a pretty good option to cover her jump options.

Reverse F-smash is handy for outranging pretty much everything she has too.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I try to jab lock I do two and then I either hit them and they stand completely up or I do a dash attack. Even if I take a step it still doesn't lock on the third one. I can upload a video if needed.

Famous

Smash Champion
Your only suppose to do the 1st part of jab...Usually the 2nd jab lifts the opponent out of the lock state...

Just do this

Jab-Walk-Jab-Walk...

The other problem is you may be jabbing too fast/slow

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes he flashes white and stands up after I hit him, does this mean I'm hitting with the jab2 or that I'm too slow/fast?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have trouble taking a step without dashing could this have something to do with how loose my control stick is? No matter how much I practice this I just can't seem to get it without taking half a step or dashing.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, it was my controller, I got a new one today and I can almost do it perfectly... same for IC's chain grabs.

Lesleyk

Smash Apprentice
Sure it was.
lol

Few weeks ago I saw a Mario sliding backwards and dodging at the same time O_o!?
I can't seem to find that video, but Im trying to learn that move. If anyone knows what Im talking about could you explain it ?

Edit: If I can find the video I'll put it here

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
your probably talking about ftilt where he does that little slide (looks like a small wavedash) then a spotdodge, if your talking about that, it's really impractical and better off practicing something else like cape dashing or something.

Lesleyk

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen it been used a lot yeah! But by my knowledge cape dashing can be only used on the ledge right?
Im trying to figure out if theres more to slide too it. Using the move so there is a little more extra space for my defensive game.

Im going to try the thing u said hippie, I hope its that what you are talking about.

Edit: I tried what u said Hippie I couldn't figure it out. Maybe u could tell me the control inputs ?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
quick thing : did anyone know you can Cape off the side/top of mk's tornado? i'm trying to re-create it, but is cape disjointed and will beat tornado? or does it depend on tornado's priority ? (as you know the more it rises, it gains more priority etc)

SKidd

Smash Master
w.... wut
I don't cape as much as I used to
actually I use Snake a lot
but I guess it just takes precise aim... like cape teleport, just not as hard

monkeyboyinc

Smash Rookie
can anyone tell me what the term SH means? I keep seeing it but I have no idea what it means. Also, hypothetically speaking, would if the cape **** glitch was accidentally used in a tournament against meta-knight, what would the judges rule? thanks!

Famous

Smash Champion
SH=Short Hop

You wouldn't be disqualified killing MK with the cape **** glitch since it's difficult enough just to pull it off...

monkeyboyinc

Smash Rookie
Ah. Thanks.
So no disqualification? I bet metaknight mains would hate you forever if you did pull it off though.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
dude, I'd make sure I got the one where he flies upwards and backwards, and cape him a few times on the way down.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Could someone please explain to me how you do that cape thing where your opponent gets a massive boost in knockback? I think I remember seeing something done with Luigi's Up + B - do you cape them before you attack them or after you attack them?

Or alternativly someone could link me the vid xD Thanks in advance

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You just Cape someone as they take knockback. It's as simple as that. The Cape amplifies momentum.

SKidd

Smash Master
cape **** with weegee :D
Apparently Pikachu has a cape ****. where you at a2z

BSP

Smash Legend
Since Luigi's threads are usually dead...

Do you guys try usmashing MK's nado? I'm asking because I remember a thread that listed all moves that beat the nado, and it claimed that Luigi had none. However, when I Usmash the nado, it usually breaks through as long as Luigi's head hits it. Do you guys do this with Mario?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It beats it 100% from the bottom. Takes a bit of timing though.

Cape beats it 100% of the time as well. So does Fludd at the right angle.

Nado literally shouldn't be a problem for Mario who knows the match-up.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So does Fludd at the right angle.
Really? What kind of angle? Genuinely curious because I can imagine pushing MK offstage whilst he's Tornadoing being pretty hilarious...

Do you guys have a hitbubbles thread? I wouldn't mind checking out your hitboxes paticularly Mario's Up Smash because I swear its got a strange hitbox

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Vato does it at some point in this vid.

I only say "at the right angle" because sometimes it doesn't work...I suppose because it's at some wrong angle, lol. It doesn't push him off, but up...which is amazing for punishment.

Dunno if we have a hitbubbles thread, lol. Usmash has really deceptive range...it's actually huge. And it has a ton of priority.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pick another character if you want to win a tournament set.

But if you choose to go Mario, basically don't let him take you to any stages you're unfamiliar with. Camp as much as possible and try to outspace him with tilts, B-air, and F-smash, or try to bait him into your Jabs at close range and then Jab cancel into mixups. Your safest option for stopping the Tornado is also fullhopped fireballs as well, which will hit him as long as you can hit the top.

Gimping him is possible, but extremely risky. You can do it if you call a Tornado recovery and Cape it, or if you know exactly when and how he's going to Shuttle Loop. Fireballs, FLUDD, and creative edge tactics are also necessary if you want to edgeguard him. If he does a glide attack, N-air clashes with it. N-air trades hits with his Up-B, but it's not favorable and should only be done when you have no other options.

imo the matchup hinges a LOT on how much you're able to F-smash him, and how much you can Jab him before he grabs you.

If he's above 110% and your Up-smash is fresh, watch out for his Tornado for a free opportunity to Up-smash him out of it.

If he does repeated D-tilts on your shield, you can D-smash out of shield between hits if you buffer perfectly.

Your biggest problem in general will be dealing with his F-tilt. If he delays hits intentionally, it will be a guessing game to punish it.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Mm, much appreciated bro. Got anything on Marth as well?

And is it easier to use some settings on controls when playing Mario? Or the regular default, tap jump on is used by the majority of players?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vs Marth, I believe pivot walking is going to be extremely important against Marth. But you don't have to take my word for it. It's just something Pierce7d suggested since it will give you a more consistent way of approaching with B-air out of shield.

Against Marth...it's actually pretty much the same as vs Metaknight. Only you have less room to camp, but slightly more room to try aggression (although not much at all). Plus Marth is actually pretty easy to gimp.

If you can PS his F-air (read him when he does rising F-airs or spaces SHFF F-airs), do that. It helps tremendously. If he DBs you, try to SDI towards and above him and go for a U-air. If he DBs your shield, you can either try to Up-B between hits, or wait until the 3rd hit for a guaranteed shieldgrab. Or if he does the final hit on your shield, you can blatantly F-smash him out of shield.

Same as Metaknight, if he does repeated D-tilts on shield, you can buffer D-smash between hits.

Jab cancels to D-smash work better on Marth unless he Up-Bs out of them, but if you sweetspot Jab at the fist, I'm quite certain you have enough time to link an unblockable D-smash on him provided you know the timing.

FLUDD every so often can mess up his spacing. And you definitely want to FLUDD him as he's coming back offstage to kill his momentum and set him up for an easy Cape gimp or edgehog. N-air trades hits with his Up-B (actually you can beat his Up-B by spacing as such that you hit the back of his head, but just hope that stagespikes him) and it's worth doing since it can be very hard for Marth to recover from a weak hit N-air.

When D-throwing Marth, you have to be careful if he DIs away from you and F-airs. You might want to consider U-throw at extremely low percents to put him up a bit higher so it's harder for him to F-air you.

Reverse F-smash out of shield can punish Marth's Smashes on block consistently.

Top Bottom