• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: Lil Gerald!

Matt07

Smash Master
This topic is for interviewing different Mario mains on the Smash World Forums and the Mario boards.

Here you may ask the particular individual being interviewed any question you'd like about play style, favorite moves, best matches...anything!

I feel this could make some of the new comers get to learn about the veterans of the board, and the veterans can learn about the newcomers! Hopefully, making the Mario community a little more close.

In case people are wondering how this works, you guys ask the questions, I'll wait a few days, I let them answer the questions, then I post the interview!

Around 3-4 too ask questions, and if there's little activity I stop at a week max.

This Week's Interview is...XeroXen!
Interview List:
HeroMystic [INTERVIEW HERE]
Hippiedude [INTERVIEW HERE]
Bo X7 [INTERVIEW HERE]
Inferno3044 [INTERVIEW HERE]
Kanzaki [INTERVIEW HERE]
Vato_Break [INTERVIEW HERE]
Monk [INTERVIEW HERE]
Flameleon [INTERVIEW HERE]
Famous [INTERVIEW HERE]
Boss [INTERVIEW HERE]
XeroXen [INTERVIEW HERE]
Juushichi [INTERVIEW HERE]
Lil Gerald [INTERVIEW HERE]

Ask Away!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I was thinking of stealing this from the DK boards waaaaay back but decided against it because I'm too busy doing other things.

Still sounds fun.

EDIT:

Heromystic, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ruh-oh, I have to give away all of my vast secrets of awesomeness. :|

Bring it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hero, do you actually use FIHL in real matches? I ask because I've seen it work a dozen times in mine and other Marios matches, but I don't see it used as a staple of Mario's gameplay when it potentially could be.

Since you (and judge) are the biggest advocates of FIHL iirc, I was wondering if you use it.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh! In case people are wondering how this works, you guys ask the questions, I'll wait a few days, then Hero answers them, then I post them!

And here's a question;

What's your most fun match-up in the game?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
What is it like to live in a state where, Snakes, D3s, MKs roam freely as they please?

do you ever get tired of theorycrafting?

do you think that, overly theorycrafting, will make you a more overall terrible player in tourneys? looool<3 (not intended for insult but out of love just wonderin ;D)

do you think you'll be the next mario to revolutionize the FLUDD?

matt leme get next :D

Veggi

Smash Champion
Me=FLUDD master

Anyway, what characters in the game revolve around having a lot of creativity in their playstyle? (think moves with vague or multiple uses like FLUDD or G&W's uair)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Excluding Smash games, what is your favorite game featuring Mario?

Can you describe your preferred playstyle for Mario?

Matt07

Smash Master
I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I forget to edit the OP.

Oh! In case people are wondering how this works, you guys ask the questions, I'll wait a few days, then Hero answers them, then I post them!
Around 3-4, and he answers the questions. A week max, if we have little activity.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Yeah, BoX7 needs interviewed.

Another question:

Yo Hero, where would you rank yourself on a Mario power rankings, if we were to have them?

Speaking of Mario power rankings, we need those so I can complain about how I'm not on them.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I was joking.

EDIT: I don't think you'd understand why that was supposed to be funny unless you've been around here a little while...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
When Matt gives the OK I'll answer the questions.

Lay out whatever questions you have for me though, this could be a once in a lifetime chance. :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I just remembered Matt is going to be busy with his tourney, so I'll answer the questions now. If there are anymore just ask away and I'll answer ASAP.

Heromystic, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Strawberry.

Hero, do you actually use FIHL in real matches? I ask because I've seen it work a dozen times in mine and other Marios matches, but I don't see it used as a staple of Mario's gameplay when it potentially could be.

Since you (and judge) are the biggest advocates of FIHL iirc, I was wondering if you use it.
Yes, I do use FIHL, but that's not all I use it for. FIHL is just a popular staple technique for FLUDD but honestly F.A.K. (FLUDD Approach Kill) is better since it screws up spacing, and in general mindgames opponents. FIHL should really only be prioritized against a select number of characters, namely G&W, Peach, and Luigi.

What's your most fun match-up in the game?
Hmm... I'd have to say vs Snake, ironically. Probably because I like the challenge and applying my techniques against him. 2nd Favorite would have to be Ice Climbers. ****** Nana is just too fun.

What's your personal dream pizza?
I'm actually not a big pizza fan, so I'd be just fine with pepperoni.

hero whats been your high placeing in your brawl career?(offline)
4th Place in a 16-man tourney two years ago. That's the highest I've gotten out of the three tournies I've been to.

What is it like to live in a state where, Snakes, D3s, MKs roam freely as they please?
Isn't that for every region?

Chaingrab actually died out here. I'm completely fine with fighting Snakes and Metaknights because they actually are beatable for me. I'm actually more worried about low-tiers since they're so rare.

do you ever get tired of theorycrafting?
No, I do not. Every viable tactic was a theory once.

do you think that, overly theorycrafting, will make you a more overall terrible player in tourneys?
Only if you choose to test those theories in a tournament environment. Testing at Smashfests and friendlies are completely viable. Honestly, if players never choose to theorize then the metagame will always be stale. That's why it's always best to try out new things, go out of your comfort zone, and do some wacky things. Otherwise, things won't change.

do you think you'll be the next mario to revolutionize the FLUDD?
I already did.

Anyway, what characters in the game revolve around having a lot of creativity in their playstyle? (think moves with vague or multiple uses like FLUDD or G&W's uair)
Hmm...

Pretty much every character that isn't a S or A tier, though Snake and Kirby are exceptions. Characters that heavily involve creativity are Sonic, Link, Lucas, Luigi, and of course Mario. Every character needs some form of variety though.

Excluding Smash games, what is your favorite game featuring Mario?
Super Mario 64, followed by Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

Can you describe your preferred playstyle for Mario?
Going by my metagame thread, I'm largely a Mario-style player. I like to pressure, mindgame, and apply what I have in order to win. I dislike leaving out any tactic that can mix-up my game and stop my Mario from being predictable. On that note, I also tend to switch to Jumpman(Aerial) or Luigi(Camp) styles when needed. There's no need to only have one style.

Overall I'm just a very technical Mario.

Hero

How many systems do you own?
Wii, Xbox360, PS3, DS, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube... that makes 7 Systems not counting the PC. I used to have more but I pawned them off.

How long have you been involved in competitive Smash?
I've known about competitive Smash for about six years. Didn't get into it till Brawl came out, so that makes about three years.

Hero, why are you so mystic?
Because I'm heroic.

Hero, are you really a hero?
Yes, because I'm so mystic.

What's your most hated match-up?

Like you just find really boring to play, not necessarily your worst.
Diddy, because there's too **** many of them. I swear I'm freaken cursed with them. Next up would be Mario dittos.

Would you consider changing your name to SupaMystic?
Nah.

Are you gonna comment on this thread?
Nope.

Yo Hero, where would you rank yourself on a Mario power rankings, if we were to have them?
I wouldn't put myself on it. I'm only decent, not great.

Heres a Question. What anime/game is your avatar from?
Shining Tears X Wind, an anime adapted from a game. The character is Kanon Seena. Full Pic is here.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Where did the idea of your name come from?
I play in Text-based Roleplays on IRC, and one of my character's name is Mystic. So that's one part. "Hero" came from Fire Emblem, since Hero is my favorite class. "MysticHero" just didn't sound right and even then it was overused. So I came up with HeroMystic and stuck with it.

D'you think MK should be banned? Why/why not?
I'm completely neutral on the subject.

I do think he should be banned because in reality Metaknight is 90% of the reason why the game isn't balanced, and it's the reason why we're having multiple topics about ledge-grab limitations, planking, and ruleset changes.

I don't think he should be banned though, because Metaknight is the best character in the game. It's only natural that people will use him the most and cause a great amount of domination. It may not bode well to a number of people, but it's not really something you can slander Metaknight on. If the game becomes nothing but MK, Snake, and Diddys, well, that only proves that Brawl is a bad competitive game.

Personally though, I don't care. If he's banned it's just one less match-up to worry about.

If you have fun useing top tiers why don't your results reflect this?
Do you mean If I have fun fighting top tiers? (Which I don't. I only really have fun fighting Snake, Falco, and Wario)

Fun =/= Win.

It's because I lose, and I've only been to three tournaments. As far as I'm concerned I have a long road ahead of me and I'm a very humble person. Until I can back up my claims I won't be the type to shout I'm the greatest Mario in the nation.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-This looks fun...heh, Hero, do you think that dittos matches between Low tiers actually help you with your character.?-

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
-This looks fun...heh, Hero, do you think that dittos matches between Low tiers actually help you with your character.?-
Only if the opponent is more skilled than you. Problem with Ditto matches are there is nothing to take advantage of besides skill level. You can pick up on some things but that's about it. You're alot better off tackling other MUs head-on.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
hero what do you think of the Mario community overall atm?
We're a cool bunch... kinda lazy though. We could step it up in terms of advancing the metagame and getting more aggressive in placing in tournies. But the community has a lot of heart, which is why I like it here.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
im taking mario super serious now and is in the process of making my mario legit for tournies. i have come across two problems in which i need help with. G&W and snake are the two people I have problems with. My question is.... how do i go about defeating them? should i get campy, get defensive, or stay in their face? I have MOST of Marios tech down. mind helping me out?

FireMario guide is a life savor

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
im taking mario super serious now and is in the process of making my mario legit for tournies. i have come across two problems in which i need help with. G&W and snake are the two people I have problems with. My question is.... how do i go about defeating them? should i get campy, get defensive, or stay in their face? I have MOST of Marios tech down. mind helping me out?

FireMario guide is a life savor
I can go on and on about G&W and Snake, but it's better if you just Go to here and look a the summaries I posted about them. They pretty much say what I think about them nicely.

Top Bottom