• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: Lil Gerald!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
1.Do you prefer the campy nature of Brawl or Melee's aggressive and fast-pasted play?
2.Do you like watching Brawl matches or Melee?
1. Bit of a loaded question here, but I prefer Brawl's gameplay over Melee's, though I don't like everything about Brawl.
2. Melee's matches are definitely more fun to watch.

Matt07

Smash Master
Last day to ask questions! So ask away, and tomorrow we're moving on too Hippiedude92!

Hmm...

What's your favourite movie of all time, of all time!

What's your favourite attribute about Mario in Brawl (as in his aerial movement, edgeguarding, etc)?

Why don't you get more matches up!?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Whats your favorite move of Mario's in each catigory?

Basics::

Aerial::

Specails::

Throws::

Smashes

Tuants::

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What's your favourite movie of all time, of all time!
Of all time? So many movies... I'm gonna have to say Rocky III, with Super Mario Brothers as a close second.

What's your favourite attribute about Mario in Brawl (as in his aerial movement, edgeguarding, etc)?
Balance.

I'm a sucker for just about any balanced character, and Mario is as balanced as one can get. The ability to adapt to any situation is one of my favorite skills of all time.

Why don't you get more matches up!?
That's pretty much the same as asking why don't play more friendlies, cause I can't. :laugh: I'll send you replays whenever I can so you can put up.

Whats your favorite move of Mario's in each catigory?

Aerial::

Smashes

Tuants::
Ground: Jab
Aerial: N-air
Special: FLUDD
Throw: F-throw
Smash: F-Smash
Taunt: Side-taunt

Matt07

Smash Master
Same question as Mars except backwards!

Whats your least favourite/disliked move of Mario's in each category?

Basics:
Aerials:
Specials:
Throws:
Smashes:
Taunts:

I'm going to guess d-tilt for basics :p.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Same question as Mars except backwards!

Whats your least favourite/disliked move of Mario's in each category?
Ground: D-tilt
Aerial: F-air (Needs to either come out faster, or the flubb-hit should've been a KOBE)
Specials: Up-B (Needs more kill power)
Throws: B-Throw (For as good as it was, it's just pitiful that they nerfed it for no reason, and worse yet gave the power to Luigi's)
Smashes: U-Smash (Could use more kill power)
Taunt: Up-Taunt (I never understood it)

Matt07

Smash Master
Hero's interview is almost done, keep asking questions guys!

What's your most difficult low tier character to fight against?

What other low tier character do you believe has potentional to be mid-tier?

I know you might not know much about other low tier's but based off your knowledge on them already, I'd like see your view.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What's your most difficult low tier character to fight against?
Right now it's probably Yoshi.

What other low tier character do you believe has potentional to be mid-tier?
Samus most likely. She has the ability to rack up damage easily but her kill moves are terrible. If Samus players can take better advantage of her positioning and counterpick stages I believe she can jump to the bottom of mid-tier.

Matt07

Smash Master
HeroMystic

Q. Heromystic, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
A. Strawberry.

Q. Hero, do you actually use FIHL in real matches? I ask because I've seen it work a dozen times in mine and other Marios matches, but I don't see it used as a staple of Mario's gameplay when it potentially could be.
Since you (and judge) are the biggest advocates of FIHL iirc, I was wondering if you use it.
A. Yes, I do use FIHL, but that's not all I use it for. FIHL is just a popular staple technique for FLUDD but honestly F.A.K. (FLUDD Approach Kill) is better since it screws up spacing, and in general mindgames opponents. FIHL should really only be prioritized against a select number of characters, namely G&W, Peach, and Luigi.

Q. What's your most fun match-up in the game?
A. Hmm... I'd have to say vs Snake, ironically. Probably because I like the challenge and applying my techniques against him. 2nd Favorite would have to be Ice Climbers. ****** Nana is just too fun.

Q. What's your personal dream pizza?
A. I'm actually not a big pizza fan, so I'd be just fine with pepperoni.

Q. hero whats been your high placeing in your brawl career?(offline)
A. 4th Place in a 16-man tourney two years ago. That's the highest I've gotten out of the three tournies I've been to.

Q. What is it like to live in a state where, Snakes, D3s, MKs roam freely as they please?
A. Isn't that for every region? Chaingrab actually died out here. I'm completely fine with fighting Snakes and Metaknights because they actually are beatable for me. I'm actually more worried about low-tiers since they're so rare.

Q. do you ever get tired of theorycrafting?
A. No, I do not. Every viable tactic was a theory once.

Q. do you think that, overly theorycrafting, will make you a more overall terrible player in tourneys?
A. Only if you choose to test those theories in a tournament environment. Testing at Smashfests and friendlies are completely viable. Honestly, if players never choose to theorize then the metagame will always be stale. That's why it's always best to try out new things, go out of your comfort zone, and do some wacky things. Otherwise, things won't change.

Q. do you think you'll be the next mario to revolutionize the FLUDD?
A. I already did.

Q. Anyway, what characters in the game revolve around having a lot of creativity in their playstyle? (think moves with vague or multiple uses like FLUDD or G&W's uair)
A. Hmm...Pretty much every character that isn't a S or A tier, though Snake and Kirby are exceptions. Characters that heavily involve creativity are Sonic, Link, Lucas, Luigi, and of course Mario. Every character needs some form of variety though.

Q. Excluding Smash games, what is your favorite game featuring Mario?
A. Super Mario 64, followed by Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

Q. Can you describe your preferred playstyle for Mario?
A. Going by my metagame thread, I'm largely a Mario-style player. I like to pressure, mindgame, and apply what I have in order to win. I dislike leaving out any tactic that can mix-up my game and stop my Mario from being predictable. On that note, I also tend to switch to Jumpman(Aerial) or Luigi(Camp) styles when needed. There's no need to only have one style. Overall I'm just a very technical Mario.

Q. How many systems do you own?
A. Wii, Xbox360, PS3, DS, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube... that makes 7 Systems not counting the PC. I used to have more but I pawned them off.

Q. How long have you been involved in competitive Smash?
A. I've known about competitive Smash for about six years. Didn't get into it till Brawl came out, so that makes about three years.

Q. Hero, why are you so mystic?
A. Because I'm heroic.

Q. Hero, are you really a hero?
A. Yes, because I'm so mystic.

Q. What's your most hated match-up? Like you just find really boring to play, not necessarily your worst.
A. Diddy, because there's too **** many of them. I swear I'm freaken cursed with them. Next up would be Mario dittos.

Q. Would you consider changing your name to SupaMystic?
A. Nah.

Q. Are you gonna comment on this thread?
A. Nope.

Q. Yo Hero, where would you rank yourself on a Mario power rankings, if we were to have them?
A. I wouldn't put myself on it. I'm only decent, not great.

Q. Heres a Question. What anime/game is your avatar from?
A. Shining Tears X Wind, an anime adapted from a game. The character is Kanon Seena.

Q. What's your favourite movie of all time, of all time!
A. Of all time? So many movies... I'm gonna have to say Rocky III, with Super Mario Brothers as a close second.

Q. What's your favourite attribute about Mario in Brawl (as in his aerial movement, edgeguarding, etc)?
A. Balance. I'm a sucker for just about any balanced character, and Mario is as balanced as one can get. The ability to adapt to any situation is one of my favorite skills of all time.

Q. Why don't you get more matches up!?
A. That's pretty much the same as asking why don't play more friendlies, cause I can't. I'll send you replays whenever I can so you can put up.

Q. Whats your favorite move of Mario's in each catigory?
A. Ground: Jab
Aerial: N-air
Special: FLUDD
Throw: F-throw
Smash: F-Smash
Taunt: Side-taunt

Q. Whats your least favourite/disliked move of Mario's in each category?
A. Ground: D-tilt
Aerial: F-air (Needs to either come out faster, or the flubb-hit should've been a KOBE)
Specials: Up-B (Needs more kill power)
Throws: B-Throw (For as good as it was, it's just pitiful that they nerfed it for no reason, and worse yet gave the power to Luigi's)
Smashes: U-Smash (Could use more kill power)
Taunt: Up-Taunt (I never understood it)

Q. What's your most difficult low tier character to fight against?
A. Right now it's probably Yoshi.

Q. What other low tier character do you believe has potentional to be mid-tier?
A. Samus most likely. She has the ability to rack up damage easily but her kill moves are terrible. If Samus players can take better advantage of her positioning and counterpick stages I believe she can jump to the bottom of mid-tier.

Thanks for your time Hero!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hippie, what's your most valuable/cherished tourney victory? Be it an MM, friendly, whatever.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Why do you ask me for advice? I suck.
i dont give a **** ur godly and u cant argue with me

how much money have you made in your smash career?
uh u count, store credit ($3), a manga book, and $2 from beating snakeeee ($1) and 'wes $1 then sure lol.

Do you like being Asian?
Of course, asian smashers **** lol (see azen)

Hippie dude

Who's your favorite character besides Mario?
Luigi hands down.

Hippie, what's your most valuable/cherished tourney victory? Be it an MM, friendly, whatever.
seemingly alot really lol, but in terms of results and just down right a good tourney day, it'd be this one http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261061 even though it was small, top 7 was one of my primary goals and when l first got it, l felt like my training had paid off. http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=51815

although, it's funny how the ones l liked /sorta cherished, are ones with me losing to insanely close matchs with pros lol.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Who do you think is the best mario?
boss = the metagame

but after boss is definitely Bo x7, then maybe abit of mix of kirin/vato maybe, just naming top of my head so not really official

Why Mario is soo pro? :3
cuz he's Jesus.

Do you have a player that you consider a rival?
not really, well l consider lots of ppls rivals in various things , like terms of overall results, better character pride or w/e y'know etc.

oh and someone play me on wifi im bored no wc. aim = hippiedudeCM

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
maaah bad for long post

When did you get involved in smash?
It's a really funny story lol might be long. Basically, l played Smash around the age of 11 or 12, and one of my friends (old school melee player StrataRazor, also introduced me to old school legend Wes), he'd always invite me to parties, and somehow he'd always smash, with his friends, and as a younger kid, l never got the chance to play, but they played Melee competitively (wavedashing etc) so l imitated that stuff, and one of the ppl there used Mario, so l was like, yo son lets try luigi lol, and apparently l was so **** as each party l came to, but i didnt know they were competitive advanced techs.

so then one of my best friends l made him learn advanced techs, i usually **** him until one day he used smashboards to learn how to lcancel and **** me and what not, and we were just rivals from that point.

then i pretty much just waited for Brawl to come out, which l was like 15 or 16 years old, and started using smashboards, and just chilled on the boards and the community was chill. so from there l resorted to wifi, until l SERIOUSLY got involved with smash community of NY, at Feb 09 and started my real Smash Career entering tourneys up to now.

TL;dr l played smash casually 11 or 12 years ago.
Played semi-competitive smash 12-14 years old (just played melee with competitive techs no tourneys)
officially involved with smash at Feb 09 and here l am today. yeah sorry this was mad long, l kinda liked my way getting into the smash scene.

Why did you choose to main Mario?
i picked mario up around beginning of brawl, maybe in the summer, l was thinking, well isn't Mario similar to Luigi? it shouldnt be too hard picking him up lol esp his speed i liked alot plus boss and bo was pretty rapist back then :]

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol biglou, this is mario boards XDDDD

im trying my hardest my ****ING hardest to go to Apex 2010, so you should go, so we can have Luigi FFA and we can go around the venue, acting all ninja and ****, and shoryukening them irl.

Matt07

Smash Master
Other people can come in this thread and ask questions, doesn't just have to be Mario mains ;).

How would you feel if MK was banned?

Do you think Mario would have an easier time in tournaments, why or why not?

What's your thought on FIHL, and FLUDD in general?

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Exactly I can ask some questions too.

Alright now for my serious question.....

Mario or Luigi?

Who is your favorite and why?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
What game did Mario fisrt ever have a Cape

A:: Super Mario 3

B: Luigi Mansdion

C:: Super MarioWorld

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
It's a really funny story lol might be long. Basically, l played Smash around the age of 11 or 12, and one of my friends (old school melee player StrataRazor, also introduced me to old school legend Wes), he'd always invite me to parties, and somehow he'd always smash, with his friends, and as a younger kid, l never got the chance to play, but they played Melee competitively (wavedashing etc) so l imitated that stuff, and one of the ppl there used Mario, so l was like, yo son lets try luigi lol, and apparently l was so **** as each party l came to, but i didnt know they were competitive advanced techs.

so then one of my best friends l made him learn advanced techs, i usually **** him until one day he used smashboards to learn how to lcancel and **** me and what not, and we were just rivals from that point.

then i pretty much just waited for Brawl to come out, which l was like 15 or 16 years old, and started using smashboards, and just chilled on the boards and the community was chill. so from there l resorted to wifi, until l SERIOUSLY got involved with smash community of NY, at Feb 09 and started my real Smash Career entering tourneys up to now.

TL;dr l played smash casually 11 or 12 years ago.
Played semi-competitive smash 12-14 years old (just played melee with competitive techs no tourneys)
officially involved with smash at Feb 09 and here l am today. yeah sorry this was mad long, l kinda liked my way getting into the smash scene.
I was looking for a long anwser. Your long story reminds me of how I got into smash. :]

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Exactly I can ask some questions too.

Alright now for my serious question.....

Mario or Luigi?

Who is your favorite and why?
you *******, asking me hard questions... just kidding :laugh:

but nah for real, kinda hard question, i love them both equally with all my heart, they're both very unique in their respective ways in and out of smash. I grew my love for Luigi because l wanted to be an opposite of the Mario player, and proved he can be a threat too. But l love mario and his games (Mario Party, old school mario, fire Mario, mario sunshine) and hes speed is just so **** (cuz luigi's aerial movement is ****) plus the Mario community is down right ****ing **** l love this community and proud that it's really active and VERY helpful, so cant say which is which lol..

Other people can come in this thread and ask questions, doesn't just have to be Mario mains ;).

How would you feel if MK was banned?

Do you think Mario would have an easier time in tournaments, why or why not?

What's your thought on FIHL, and FLUDD in general?
If Mk was banned, it'd be one less thing to worry about lol. hardly ever fight MKs in tourney, even if he wasn't banned, oh well l'll just **** the **** outta him because Mario>MK. honestly would have ICs infinites grabs banned from personal experience lol.

Depends, many people live in different regions and different kinds of Smash scenes, I know that MD/VA doesn't have too many MKs but have more of a diverse characters used by different kinds of people, I mean it doesnt hinder the fact Mario has other bad matchups too y'know?

From my personal experience, l hardly use it lol, i keep forgetting to implement it into my game after seeing the amounts of potential that can change a matchup (ex:GaW) but i think its heavily underrated/under used by others, and should DEFINITELY be into every single Mario player's game plan because it is a tool that can be used in a variety of situations and Mario being versatile, has a answer to everything and that without doubt, is with his FLUDD. Plus I think putting FIHL into ur mario, takes abit of learning practice because you'll need to try it in different scenarios (like if they're too close, when should l do it, frame data, what happens if...) but definitely a option for mario.

What game did Mario fisrt ever have a Cape

A:: Super Mario 3

B: Luigi Mansdion

C:: Super MarioWorld
dam lol i needa get back into the mario games scene again XD havent played em in sooooo long. i think its super mario world? lol im so rusty i hope im right XDDD

When I grow up I want to be like hippiedude how do I accomplish this ?
lulz first, u tell urself that selena gomez, maria ozawa, demi lavato and bunch of other celebrities WILL be ur future dream wife cuz they hella ****ing hot as ****. then, next u tell ppl that if u fight hippydood in a tourney using gay tactics, he'll scream at you like a girl.

@ BoTastic, oh ok lol, l was feeling bad it was gonna be too long XD.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I need to change my SWF display back to BO X7. Its making you guys think that I really changed my name. Think of is like stracked. He changed his name but he's still stracked. lol

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I just realised I forgot to ask you this question that I plan on asking all Mario mains.

Where would you rank yourself on a Mario PR if we were to have one?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I need to change my SWF display back to BO X7. Its making you guys think that I really changed my name. Think of is like stracked. He changed his name but he's still stracked. lol
lol sorry, l know ur still Bo x7 XD, i just did botastic cuz its **** name lol, but i'll address you bo x7 definitely now.

I just realised I forgot to ask you this question that I plan on asking all Mario mains.

Where would you rank yourself on a Mario PR if we were to have one?
As much as l want to be perceived as a top Mario, l would not rank myself because l am in my learning stage, and will be in it for a long time, and l refuse, to be in one because i usually dont like being in the hella internet drama, and my actions and results will speak for itself. i do my own thing.

tho i dont mind being last :]

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
hIPPI DUDE

Whats your favorite move of Mario's in each catagory

Aerials::
Smashes::
Taunts::
Victory scene::

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hIPPI DUDE

Whats your favorite move of Mario's in each catagory

Aerials::
Smashes::
Taunts::
Victory scene::
im guessing basics is ground game? lol, most likely jab1, l play luigi and his jabmindgames i can easily implement with mario.

aerials - l love them equally, but prolly bair.

specials - prolly fireball or super jump punch

throws - dthrow

smashs - FSMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

taunts - the uptaunt i think the one where he grows bigger lol

victory scene - not sure what this is, but i think the one with his punch or some **** idk lol

Top Bottom