• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindash

Smash Ace
By the gods...

Brawl sucks. Online, that is. It's difficult to stomach anymore Smash Bros. when it comes to Wi Fi anymore. Offline? I can't get enough of it! And this comes from a competitive aspect (seeing as this is a Mario Kart Wii thread, I'll get to that shortly. :p) of the game.

Mario Kart Wii, on the other hand? Is music to my ears. It has friend codes...and yet it doesn't at the same time. In my opinion, the online for entertainment value and the lack of lag in ANY way, shape, or form, rivals X Box Live. There's rankings, world records to beat, downloadable ghosts, and that frustration that comes with EVERY single Mario Kart game that just brings us back, and begging for me.

After playing Mario Kart Wii's online epicness? I can't stomach Brawl anymore, the Wi Fi portion that is.

Oh. And I'm a pure Wii Wheel goer right here. I'm a sucker for that little golden icon of the wheel for using only that. Heheh. :p

Fantastic game, and when I feel up for memorizing my friend code, I look forward to playing with many of you soon. Or heck! Maybe I'll find you all randomly. ^^

God bless Mario Kart Wii. FTFW

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
How do you unlock Funky Kong? On every website I went to, it said unlock four expert staff ghosts which I did and I don't have him. Anybody know why?
After you unlock four expert ghosts you have to go out of your license and then go back in. That should do it.

If the next time you start the game and select your license and you don't get Funky Kong that means you haven't unlocked 4 expert ghosts.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
To unlock expert ghosts you have to beat the staff ghost times on time trial by a good 5-10 seconds. Then when you do that you will unlock a expert ghost who usually has a much better time then the time you just beat the original ghost with. A message pops up at the bottom after you have unlocked an expert ghost aswell.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I think i may just have ****** fingers, but i cant seem to do any tricks while playing with the GC controller. Do i have to hit another button along with the d-pad or something? I cant seem to wheelie or air trick

Patinator

Smash Champion
To unlock expert ghosts you have to beat the staff ghost times on time trial by a good 5-10 seconds. Then when you do that you will unlock a expert ghost who usually has a much better time then the time you just beat the original ghost with. A message pops up at the bottom after you have unlocked an expert ghost aswell.

...Holy mayonnaise...

Well, I guess I won't be unlocking all the characters then... Might as well not bother getting the game if I have to do stuff like THAT to unlock characters! JEEZ!

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Well, I guess I won't be unlocking all the characters then... Might as well not bother getting the game if I have to do stuff like THAT to unlock characters! JEEZ!
Most of the set staff ghosts aren't that tough (some are insane, though, so I can only imagine the unlockable ones..), so you should be able to get a lot of the characters....

After about a half hour I unlocked Funky, which is four different ghosts unlocked.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
Thanks N9NE, by the way your really good at mario Kart I will give you props for beating me even though I just got it Yesterday but anyway good game. So anyway on the main subject so far i added everyone on the b13lion's list (yes even you Meta-Kirby). So far i only have N9NE, Master WGS, PXG, and XACE active on my list.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm finding that while I initially did not like MKWii too much, its really grown on me.

The stage designs are awesome and the online battles are great.

I still get POed though about losing to BS items online. I've had a few rounds where I was in first for 2 and a half laps, only to get hit by 2 blue shells, a red shell and then be run over by a giant mushroom while I essentially was being held in place by items. That'd almost be fine, except that now as I'm going from 1st to 7th by no fault of my own, the only item the game gives me on the last stretch is a F#$&ing green shell.

At least the online battle mode is fun. Except sometimes the matchmaking is on drugs or something. The game decides that even teams are 3 people versus 1. That 1 guy doesn't usually have the highest br point total either.

I'd have liked a Battle FFA mode... but oh well, still a fun game.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
I agree 100% on your statement on BS items S2. But i dont like Battle mode (expecally coin runners) because red team always wins (which im almost never on). This is in my opinion the best Mario Kart ive never played (ive never played SMK thought).

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If you guys are having trouble unlocking Funky Kong I suggest these tracks:

Luigi Circuit
Daisy Circuit
GBA Bowser Castle 3
N64 Sherbet Land
DK Snowtop thingymijjigy

I forgot the others I did.

and getting owned by items is what makes Mario Kart Mario Kart.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Nope. It should just be the D-Pad...

Anyways, my Friend List still says most of you haven't added me. . . Where's the love for WGS? :(
I knew I forgot to add somebody. Don't worry, I'll add you soon.

If you guys are having trouble unlocking Funky Kong I suggest these tracks:

Luigi Circuit
Daisy Circuit
GBA Bowser Castle 3
N64 Sherbet Land
DK Snowtop thingymijjigy

I forgot the others I did.

and getting owned by items is what makes Mario Kart Mario Kart.
I'm almost done unlocking him but here's some more tips:

Use bikes and do wheelies when you can. It's helpful.

1-upshrooms

Smash Rookie
Unlocking Dry Bowser and Baby Daisy????

Baby Daisy 1 Star in all 50cc Wii-Cups
Baby Luigi Unlock 8 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Birdo Play Time Trials on 16 different courses or win 250 Wi-Fi matches.
Bowser Jr. 1 Star in all 100cc Retro-Cups
Daisy Win 150cc Special Cup
Diddy Kong Complete retro 50cc Cups
Dry Bones Win 100cc Leaf Cup
Dry Bowser 1 Star in all 150cc Wii-Cups
Funky Kong Unlock 4 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
King Boo Win 50cc Star Cup
Mii (Outfit A) Win 100cc Special Cup
Mii (Outfit B) Unlock all 32 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Rosalina Have a Super Mario Galaxy savefile and she will be unlocked after some GPs or get 1 star in all Mirror Mode Retro-Cups
Toadette Play Time Trials on all 32 different courses or win 1000 Wi-Fi matches.

I got this off Game FAQ's.
What do they mean by 1 Star in all 50cc wii-cups?
It says 1 star. And then it says all wii cups.

What are the "wii cups", and what does it mean by "in all 50cc"?

Same question for dry bowser.

So I think they mean you have to get a star rank on all of the cups in 50cc to unlock baby daisy, and a star rank in every 150cc to get dry bowser am I right?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
When you do a Grand Prix, you get a grade at the end, typically E-A. If you do exceptionally well (good times, don't wreck, etc), you'll get star ratings. You can get up to three stars. The "Wii" cups mean the new stages, "Retro" stages are the returning stages.

To get Daisy you have to play through all the new Grand Prix and score at least one star on each of them in the 50cc difficulty. For Dry Bowser, you have to do the same thing, only in the 150cc difficulty.

XACE-K

Smash Master
How do you get the golden wheel? I want to know because I got a golden wheel in both battle and vs modes. If its by points then I have between 5,800 and 5,900 in vs and between 5,300 and 5,400 in battle. If anybody knows the answer than let me know.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
How do you get the golden wheel? I want to know because I got a golden wheel in both battle and vs modes. If its by points then I have between 5,800 and 5,900 in vs and between 5,300 and 5,400 in battle. If anybody knows the answer than let me know.
If you use the Wii Wheel more than anything else, you get the Golden Wheel.

M.K

Level 55
HOLY CRAP.

I'm so fed up with getting a 1 STAR ranking for all the of Retro 50cc Cups just to get the Cheep Cheep Mobile. I get first in all the races...and I still only end up with an A ranking. Stupid rubber band items make it impossible to stay in the lead for the entire race, and wrecking is inevitable.

What are some good tips for getting a STAR ranking?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Stay out of the grass and do tricks every chance you get... That is, so long as it doesn't cause you to wreck.

I haven't had too much trouble getting the stars, to be honest... It takes a few tries, but I eventually get them.

Also, I added you Meta, but I couldn't PM you because your inbox was full.

M.K

Level 55
Stay out of the grass and do tricks every chance you get... That is, so long as it doesn't cause you to wreck.

I haven't had too much trouble getting the stars, to be honest... It takes a few tries, but I eventually get them.

Also, I added you Meta, but I couldn't PM you because your inbox was full.
Ooh, I'm sorry about the Inbox thing, I guess it is time to clear that OUT!

And thanks for the info, once I have more time (weekends) I will unlock my favorite kart EVER!

Can I get some positive/negative feedback on the Cheep Charger?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, thanks whoever gave me a boost of confidence for unlocking Funky... But even worse will be Dry Bowser!

T_T Stupid Nintendo and their hard-to-unlock stuff. Why do they think people want to work to unlock stuff?!

Oh well... I'll get him some day...

*10 YEARS LATER...*

So yeah, I got the game today. It is FUN! The Wii Wheel is excellent, though my arms ache...

But can I say something?

RAINBOW ROAD IS INSANE.

And I thought someone on the Mariowiki said its music is similar to Good Egg Galaxy's from SMG... But I find almost no resemblance.

Know what would've made this game even better?

Having a special Rainbow Cup, the last of the Retro cups. It has five tracks, all of them the past Rainbow Roads; SNES (...), N64 ( :D ), GBA (PM Bowser's Castle FTW!), GCN ( :D :D :D ), and DS ( :) ).

Anyone like my idea...? A Bowser Cup would be cool too, but there's what, twenty of them?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Dang it, I wanted to tell UberBob to save a spot for me, as soon as I get my Wii back, I will play Mario Kart Wii..... maybe not online yet but to get my FC up though.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I suck at this game. I've only unlocked, Diddy, Rosalina, and the Blooper car. I don't know when I'll unlock anything else.

Shanky

Smash Cadet
^ Haha, I suck too. I haven't unlocked any characters yet. I haven't been able to put much time into it though. Busy with finals and stuff.

But basically I love love love the wheel. Gosh I'm such a Nintendo tard. However I think I'm gonna start using the Nunchuk setup....everyone's raving about it. And unlike Brawl, the Classic & the GCN controllers just seem kind of....blah in this game. D-pad for tricks? No thanks.

What does everyone here use?

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
I dont actually own it, but i play it alot at my friends house, and i just felt the need to complain about it like i do with everything.
It's to much like mario kart ds, with basically the same gameplay with the controller, i just dont like it with the online rankings it does make it a great game, but i was looking for some pazzaz or razzle dazzle.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
I thought i sucked to, but i played reagonal online races to se how everyone else plays like. I remember that out of eight racers two of them gave me a challenge. Then when i play Worldwide all the Europeans own my ***. I only used the Wii wheel so far ind i reasently beat all of 50cc (but not all stars) I got and ever since main King Boo. Rosalina is my 2nd.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
OK, I just had to throw this in.

Yesterday I was playing on the WFC.

I was on Bowser Castle and I was In 1st, feelin' pretty good seeing as I was on the last stretch (the part with the flame geysers) SUDDENLY the a guy behind me (I think his name was Mr. Bigs) came roaring out of no where as I entered the last part of the geysers. I pulled a wheelie to pass! I was almost over the line when, out of no where, a star empowered person comes up behind me. WHAM! he misses the other guy who finishes first, he hits me so that I smash into the pillar next to the finish line, tipping into the lava. I tried the gas. No good. I fell into the fiery abyss. By the time Lakitu recovered me and placed me at the beginning of the geyser field, I was in 5/9 position. Wouldn't you know it, a huge Yoshi comes flying in behind me. He finishes 5th. I try my luck at getting to the finish again...BULLET BILL FROM NO WHERE! Once Again, I meet my friend the lava.

I place 8th only because the guy who was in 9th was viciously shoved off the edge by my heavy character.

True story.
I don't kid you.

D

Deleted member

It's to much like mario kart ds, with basically the same gameplay with the controller, i just dont like it with the online rankings it does make it a great game, but i was looking for some pazzaz or razzle dazzle.
And that's a bad thing because...?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Alright, My FC is 3480-3053-4879

But, I won't be online until I get every character. That shouldn't take long though.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I take it back; unlocking Funky Kong won't be INCREDIBLY hard... But Dry Bowser? And even the B-Dasher Mk. II? HECK YES. I can hardly get through the 100cc cups for some reason... But maybe that's because I had just woken up and was using the Wheel. I migrated back to the GCN, but the Wheel's fun.

I've unlocked Diddy, Rosalina, and the Blooper car, as well as all the 50cc cups. I got a close second in the Special Cup... Rainbow Road is just... O_O

If anyone wants to know, you unlock the Blue Falcon by:

Beating the Mirror Lightning Cup. I probably won't even get mirror...

Say, anyone have a favorite character/kart and/or bike combination? I like using Rosalina; that Luma is so cute...
Screw masculinity.

But then, Mario and Bowser are also some of my favorites, in the Sugarscoot/Standard Bike M/Blooper whatchamahoosis and Flame Flyer/Wario Bike respectively.

What stinks is that the Blue Falcon is a SMALL kart...

...Baby Daisy in the Blue Falcon? Yeah, no. lololol

1-upshrooms

Smash Rookie
Thanks

When you do a Grand Prix, you get a grade at the end, typically E-A. If you do exceptionally well (good times, don't wreck, etc), you'll get star ratings. You can get up to three stars. The "Wii" cups mean the new stages, "Retro" stages are the returning stages.

To get Daisy you have to play through all the new Grand Prix and score at least one star on each of them in the 50cc difficulty. For Dry Bowser, you have to do the same thing, only in the 150cc difficulty.
Ahh... thanks for clearing it up for me.

Oh and someone asked to name their favorite characters...

1.Mario w/ standard bike
2.Mario w/ Mach bike
Mii
w/ standard bike (in case people don't like the spoils.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom