• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Yeeeeah, I got work on friday, so I can't attend.

I'm free tomorrow and the next. For those two days, I can put my tournament group to use.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
We gots-a new trailer for the Mercedes DLC stuff.
Yes, I said "stuff," implying for than just one thing. Apparently they're going all out...

This is almost so stupid it's funny.

Booster

Smash Lord
We gots-a new trailer for the Mercedes DLC stuff.
Yes, I said "stuff," implying for than just one thing. Apparently they're going all out...

This is almost so stupid it's funny.
Worst thing to happen to the Mario franchise ever since Galaxy 3 not being made.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Worst thing to happen to the Mario franchise ever since Galaxy 3 not being made.
Well, if it means anything, along with the DLC there'll be an update...

From GoNintendo:
- map display on the TV screen
- records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc.
- improved online stability
- default menu selection following GP changing to next race
- last used kart customization added to save
- edit others' highlights

Those are some pretty good fixes, if I do say so myself.
It's almost as if they actually listened.Now we just need a nice DLC pack consisting of playable characters that people actually want along with some battle arenas.

kylexv

Smash Master
Well, if it means anything, along with the DLC there'll be an update...

From GoNintendo:
- records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc.
- improved online stability
- last used kart customization added to save
- edit others' highlights

Those are some pretty good fixes, if I do say so myself.
It's almost as if they actually listened.Now we just need a nice DLC pack consisting of playable characters that people actually want along with some battle arenas.
FINALLY I get to see how close I am to the Gold Glider!
Inb4 I unlock it before the update.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is great and all Nintendo, but I'm still waiting on proper utilisation of the GamePad for split-screen.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
That award goes to Pink Gold Peach.
This is the kind of stuff that should already should have already been in the game.
Now we just need a nice DLC pack consisting of playable characters that people actually want along with some battle arenas.
Diddy or riot.

R0Y

Smash Master
This is great and all Nintendo, but I'm still waiting on proper utilisation of the GamePad for split-screen.

Impossible without a severe resolution/FPS reduction, that's two full frame buffers that have to be created. It's harder than split screen and/or making the Gamepad a second screen or mirror the TV.

Resolution (and possibly performance) drops are how it's happening in Hyrule Warriors.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Impossible without a severe resolution/FPS reduction, that's two full frame buffers that have to be created. It's harder than split screen and/or making the Gamepad a second screen or mirror the TV.

Resolution (and possibly performance) drops are how it's happening in Hyrule Warriors.
Mario Kart is not nearly as busy as Hyrule "literal army on screen in nearly every frame" warriors.

It's a kart racer, they can add it in. If they can patch Off TV Play into Monster Hunter, or patch the Quick Start menu and all of the other stuff that came with that update, they can do this.

R0Y

Smash Master
Mario Kart is not nearly as busy as Hyrule "literal army on screen in nearly every frame" warriors.

It's a kart racer, they can add it in. If they can patch Off TV Play into Monster Hunter, or patch the Quick Start menu and all of the other stuff that came with that update, they can do this.
'rolls eyes'

Sure bro....

It's a 60 FPS kart racer and probably the prettiest game on the system. It may not be pushing as much but it's pushing a lot. Resolution and/or FPS would have to go down to push out two different frame buffers like that. The game can't even handle Anti-Aliasing at 60 FPS, so it doesn't have any, not even the usual edge-smoothing solution in Nintendo Wii U games.

Comparing mirroring for the gamepad in off-TV play to two in-engine framebuffers...I can't even. Nintendo can't flip a switch for this sort of thing like you can for mirroring.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
'rolls eyes'

Sure bro....

It's a 60 FPS kart racer and probably the prettiest game on the system. It may not be pushing as much but it's pushing a lot. Resolution and/or FPS would have to go down to push out two different frame buffers like that.

Comparing mirroring for the gamepad in off-TV play to two in-engine framebuffers...I can't even.
The resolution already goes down in MK8 split-screen, and the frames of animation on online opponents are cut. So I see no reason not to go that extra mile.

Plus, as I already pointed out, other Wii U games are far more intensive than MK8, and handle the GamePad splitscreen just fine. That game is pretty based mostly on artstyle. From a technical standpoint, it's not revolutionary.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
The resolution already goes down in MK8 split-screen, and the frames of animation on online opponents are cut. So I see no reason not to go that extra mile.
No it doesn't, native 720p frame buffer. That maintains, only thing that goes down is some effects, etc., and the FPS being halved/some slow down with 3/4 players.
You're comparing split screens to frame buffers. 1280x720 and 854x480 in-engine frame buffers being put out at the same time would be murder on the Wii U hardware for this game. This isn't Nintendoland.

Plus, as I already pointed out, other Wii U games are far more intensive than MK8 and handle the GamePad splitscreen just fine. That game is pretty based mostly on artstyle. From a technical standpoint, it's not revolutionary.

No, you didn't point out a thing.

The game can't handle AA at 60 FPS. 60 FPS game are naturally easier on the hardware, but the lack of any AA, which is unique among Nintendo first-party efforts on Wii U, implies that there is very little overhead.

Also, Monster Hunter looks terrible, the only reason it's 30 FPS with drops is because it renders at 1920x1080. MK8 is 1280x720. You're also comparing 2 frame buffers to a simple mirroring of the frame buffer, and possibly you'll next compare an inventory screen)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No it doesn't, native 720p frame buffer. That maintains, only thing that goes down is some effects, etc., and the FPS being halved/some slow down with 3/4 players.
You're comparing split screens to frame buffers. 1280x720 and 854x480 in-engine frame buffers being put out at the same time would be murder on the Wii U hardware for this game.

The game can't handle AA at 60 FPS. 60 FPS game are naturally easier on the hardware, but the lack of any AA, which is unique among Nintendo first-party efforts on Wii U, implies that there is very little overhead.

Also, Monster Hunter looks terrible, the only reason it's 30 FPS with drops is because it renders at 1920x1080. MK8 is 1280x720.
The split screen resolution is lower than the normal, it's very noticeable. Everything looks comparatively blurrier and the characters look more jagged.

And I'm pretty sure AA even on first party Wii U games is not common.

And my point about Monster Hunter is that they added GamePad functionality via patch. It wasn't in the vanilla release, but they added it.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
The split screen resolution is lower than the normal, it's very noticeable. Everything looks comparatively blurrier and the characters look more jagged.

And I'm pretty sure AA even on first party Wii U games is not common.

And my point about Monster Hunter is that they added GamePad functionality via patch. It wasn't in the vanilla release, but they added it.
You have no points, and no idea what you're talking about!

In split screen, the frame buffer and screen resolution remains 1280x720... Of course each individual "screen" has less detail and jaggies are more noticeable...Each individual "screen" has less resolution, but the total resolution remains the same. I expect that will go over your head.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

False, here's an edge smoothing one in action, you'll find it in Nintendoland and more as well. I don't feel like finding additional examples since you've provided me with zero evidence.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to block you because you have no idea what you're talking about and I don't want to say something that will get me in trouble.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You have no points, and no idea what you're talking about!

In split screen, the frame buffer and screen resolution remains 1280x720... Of course each individual "screen" has less detail and jaggies are more noticeable...Each individual "screen" has less resolution, but the total resolution remains the same. I expect that will go over your head.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

False, here's an edge smoothing one in action, you'll find it in Nintendoland and more as well. I don't feel like finding additional examples since you've provided me with zero evidence.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to block you because you have no idea what you're talking about and I don't want to say something that will get me in trouble.
And you just sent me an article with absolutely no provided proof on most of it's points.

Also, the very article contradicts your statement that Mario Kart can't handle/can barely handle 60FPS:

The frequency and pattern of this problem suggests an internal timing issue, potentially related to Mario Kart TV, rather than one of performance. We can't be certain where the root cause lies but we certainly do hope Nintendo will take time to correct this problem in a patch.
Also, that screenshot of 3D World is pre-release, it's not reflective of the final product. The actual game has no AA.

Also, MK8 technically doesn't mimic the TV screen when using Off TV Play, since it already displays other things even in splitscreen:

EDIT: And your logic on this whole thing about blocking me out of nowhere is very poor and paints you as a person with serious issues if you need to "restrain yourself from saying something you might get in trouble for".

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Me too, the second screen is pretty pointless in this game if you do Split Screen, it might as well not even be there. Hopefully it's added in a later update

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My VR building quest is nearing its conclusion, as I'm around 9670 VR now. At least I did find a tournament that seems okay for doing random races, though the fact that tournament community posts do not count towards your post count is discouraging.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Hey @ Vinylic. Vinylic. Is it possible to change the time for the SmashBoards tournament, to make it more idk accessible, maybe have no set time or something

Booster

Smash Lord
I made myself several Miis to race as (And play in Smash.), Jason Vorheez and Slender Man are my favorites

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
How will a win loss record work, everyone will be like 10 wins for every 50 games or worse, lol

I am looking forward to it, (less the stats since I don't play to win, I just play to throw red shells at my friends)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How will a win loss record work, everyone will be like 10 wins for every 50 games or worse, lol

I am looking forward to it, (less the stats since I don't play to win, I just play to throw red shells at my friends)
I'm probably guessing that it'll be like Mario Kart 7's win/loss system; you earn 1 win for each racer you've beaten, and 1 loss for each player who finished before you.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Maybe they'll put these unused icons to use for possible DLC cups/tracks? They can finalize their appearance, or keep them on the game disc and create a new set of icons (with the same symbols) for the DLC, similar to Mortal Kombat 9; Scarlet's babality model was found in game, but the DLC version doesn't use the unfinished baby model, as it uses a new DLC-specific model not found on the game disc. I think the same rule could apply.

If memory serves me well, didn't Nintendo say that the Mercedes DLC will not be the only add-ons made for the game? I'd love to see more items (like the chain chomp, or super feather), and new tracks added to the game.

kylexv

Smash Master
Copied and pasted from the Mario Kart Wii boards:

Okiedokie, this all spread around faster than we thought it would considering it was posted in like... two Skype groups total. I suppose clarification is in order!

These icons are intended to be used for DLC; or at least, are placeholders for images that may eventually be used. Their filenames from left to right in the image are:

ym_CupIconDLC_00_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_01_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_02_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_03_130x130^h.bflim

The "DLC" in each name can't really be mistaken. We haven't located the 3D versions that the menus use; but we haven't located any of the 3D cup icons in the first place, so there's no saying they don't exist. Mind you, in their current form, these icons are missing some files that complete cups have, namely some textures used for effects and similar. When we had the game render these, we had to use the mushroom/flower cup's effects, which might have caused small drawing errors. The other files might be downloaded someday if these cup icons are to be used for something!

Also supporting the DLC theory is that the valid track IDs in MK8 start at 0x10 and run to 0x2F. The ones before that, 0x00 - 0x0F are labelled as Reserved00 - Reserved15, exactly 16 slots that are apparently... "reserved". What's 4 x 4, I wonder? And what are they reserved for?

Furthermore, there are 16 full size graphics of 12 Marios on the start line of Mario Circuit, with the word "SAMPLE" plastered across. All of these images are labelled "DLC" as well and are probably placeholders that may one day be replaced with brand new track images.

Of course, we won't know for sure until Nintendo says something.

Also, interesting discoveries, there might be plans for a Shy Guy outfit for Mii, and a Yoshi outfit for Mii. There are placeholder files for those on the disc as well, but when we tried to load them, we merely got a red suited Mii. Very unfortunate. Still might be an indicator of things to come, though!
Straight from MrBean35000VR, a well known Mario Kart Wii hacker and the creator of the CTGP (Or Custom Track Grand Prix), adding many more courses to Mario Kart Wii. He has also created a texture hack for Mario Kart 8, and has done some other stuff revolving around Mario Kart 8's unused stages (One called "The Void")

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've managed to reach 9999 VR today. That brings my VR quest to an end, though I'll probably attend tournaments more frequently now.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I really need to work on my VR, lol. I haven't ww'd in a very, very long time even though I've added many new people from this thread and such. I'll try to be more active and see if anyone else is as well. I think currently my VR is only around 4800 or something haha.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you ever see me online next time, odds are, I'll probably be doing tournament races from here on out; the MK8 World Cup will probably be my main hangout place.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to use the Boomerang item? It's probably my least favourite item to get in MK8 and I'd love some pointers on how to make good use of it when I do get it...other than time the throw so I pick up something else like a Fire Flower lol

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
The best way to use it is to just throw it like a mad dog or protect yourself from incoming red shells or other items/racers coming close to you.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Boomerang really isn't guaranteed to stop incoming Red Shells though. It's mostly for offense, and to annoy anyone who's trying to take those sharp turns.

Top Bottom