• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kinda stopped playing MK8 for a bit but I've started again and I got myself to exactly 3,000 points in Global/Regional Race.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
God damn GameXplain tourney. Had the worst ****ing ****ty luck I've ever had in mario kart 8.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
I just got to 2400 VR. I feel like I'm really far behind on VR compared to everyone else.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Is anyone else experiencing increasingly poor connection? When I first started playing MK8 when it came out, it felt great, but now the game desynchs very badly at times, and I've started to get booted a few times. I don't know what could have changed :s

Like it's so bad...
- I've hit people with stars and they end up speeding up. My end thinks I ran them over, but their end thinks that they're trailing me for a speed boost.
- I've been in 2nd place, but when I crossed the finish line, it said I was 4th, losing to people who were at least 6 kart lengths behind me.
- While blocking with a green shell, I've had a red shell lose me as a target, pass me up, then turn around it hit me in the front. (wtf??)
- Lots of times, when people drop items, the desynch is so bad that I don't even get to see what item ended up in their hand before it spawns 3 karts lengths behind them, hitting me.

.___.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Is anyone else experiencing increasingly poor connection? When I first started playing MK8 when it came out, it felt great, but now the game desynchs very badly at times, and I've started to get booted a few times. I don't know what could have changed :s

Like it's so bad...
- I've hit people with stars and they end up speeding up. My end thinks I ran them over, but their end thinks that they're trailing me for a speed boost.
- I've been in 2nd place, but when I crossed the finish line, it said I was 4th, losing to people who were at least 6 karts behind me.
- While blocking with a green shell, I've had a red shell lose me as a target, then turn around it hit me in the front. (wtf??)
- Lots of times, when people drop items, the desynch is so bad that I don't even get to see what item ended up in their hand before it spawns 3 karts behind them, hitting me.

.___.
Yeah all this happens to me. Also during a race someone botched the starting line speed boost and spun out... then immediately got a bigger boost than I.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm getting Mario Kart fairly soon! Well I already have the disk (got it from target for 33, woot), but I'm waiting on my actual Wii U. I wouldn't mind playing against some of you guys some time.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
I'm getting Mario Kart fairly soon! Well I already have the disk (got it from target for 33, woot), but I'm waiting on my actual Wii U. I wouldn't mind playing against some of you guys some time.
How did you get the game for $33? All the prices I see for it are $60.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
My brothers friends got me the Golden Glider the other day. Got all the kart parts and I didn't even need to do anything. :smirk:

Spellbinder

Smash Rookie
I'm so bad at this game. I've tried every single combination of kart with Toadette, and even if I drive flawlessly and don't get hit by anything, I always come in 5th on 150 and mirror.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541

Like it's so bad...
- I've been in 2nd place, but when I crossed the finish line, it said I was 4th, losing to people who were at least 6 kart lengths behind me.
- While blocking with a green shell, I've had a red shell lose me as a target, pass me up, then turn around it hit me in the front. (wtf??)
- Lots of times, when people drop items, the desynch is so bad that I don't even get to see what item ended up in their hand before it spawns 3 karts lengths behind them, hitting me.

.___.
I just started playing again since e3 started and yeah I'm getting a lot of this. I got some of it before but not nearly as much as I am right now. Lots of people are teleporting and going faster than they have any right going.

@ Blaziken Blaziken
I played basically every day since launch except for during e3 so about two and a half weeks? I did local 4 player multiplayer quite a few times though.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Has anyone noticed the Power Star improves your handling drastically now? Or did it always do that and I just never noticed.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Has anyone noticed the Power Star improves your handling drastically now? Or did it always do that and I just never noticed.
Stars eliminate the offroad "slipperiness", making it so you can take tight turns and such without sliding around. Especially noticeable on tracks such as Dry Dry Desert.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Stars eliminate the offroad "slipperiness", making it so you can take tight turns and such without sliding around. Especially noticeable on tracks such as Dry Dry Desert.
Not that. Like on regular roads where I would normally have to drift to even hope to make the turn like the anti-grav section of wario stadium, I can just turn normally and I'll make it no problem.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm so bad at this game. I've tried every single combination of kart with Toadette, and even if I drive flawlessly and don't get hit by anything, I always come in 5th on 150 and mirror.
Sometimes you have to switch to using heavier characters, simply because of how slow the lightweights typically are. It's pretty much impossible for the lightweights to have average speed, and above average acceleration at the same time.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm only hovering around 2200 VR personally, but I put the game down for about a week now. I've got to say, my interest in the game's online has dropped considerably because of the massive lagging going on. I'm basically experiencing everything that @Problem2 listed, except I'm also D/Cing a lot during races, making VR drop pretty badly sometimes.

I really hope Nintendo can fix these issues. The game itself is pretty bloody good, but when you're never sure where the other racers actually are because of server problems, THAT's bad. I simply didn't have these issues on Mario Kart Wii, either.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The problem is Toadette, haha.

Lightweights can only win against competent players based on RNG in this game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem is Toadette, haha.

Lightweights can only win against competent players based on RNG in this game.
To further explain this, the lightweights were never gifted with having high speed stats this time around; they're more focused on handling. And because of the way Mario Kart 8's stat system is set up, it's impossible for lightweights to have average speed and above average acceleration, as the following image shows.

Both combos offer the exact same ground speed, but Iggy's combo is way better overall, despite having weaker handling stats than Baby Luigi's combo.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've run into the same problem I can't find a good combination for Shy Guy that comes anywhere close to the superior stats I get from using Ludwig or Waluigi.

Handling is an overall bad stat since you can make most turns in the game just fine even with a sub-par handling stat.

Basically anyone using a Lightweight is gimping themselves, which a shame since I love Shy Guy. :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Handling is an overall bad stat since you can make most turns in the game just fine even with a sub-par handling stat.
Try to win a race at Mount Wario with 1/6 handling. It's much harder than you think. Sure, high handling may be redundant on most occasions, but you probably don't want it to be too low either.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Of course SOME handling is needed (I can get by just fine on all courses with 2.5 handling), but when compared to the importance of speed and acceleration the stat falls flat on its face.

There's literally no reason to use lightweights in this game unless if you are new and need more control over your vehicle.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
As much as it pains me to say it as a person who planned to use Toad and Shy Guy... They're flat out useless. I even tried them with the Circuit Special and Slicks, but the stats are so mediocre that Mediums / Cruisers can just get better Speed with better Acceleration and Grip just by having the ability to use other wheels without giving up Speed. Not to mention, being smacked all over the track isn't fun, either.

I tend to stick to Cruiser / Heavies (Roy, Waluigi etc / Metals.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I think I am in the minority of people who uses a heavy character, but Button wheels. Secret acceleration haha
I as well use button wheels. They kind of remind me of giant Ritz crackers lol.

Btw, does anyone else in here use a bike? Or is the majority on karts?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Ever since I learned about the Fire Hopping technique I haven't touched a bike since.
Me too. Although I didn't know you had to hop left to right. I just kept hopping after anything haha but it's kind of trolly so it's still funny. Plus I can't handle the turns on bikes

Also, I am trying to make saying OK! alot in the track selection screen a thing. It would be so funny if I got everyone to do it haha

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Ever since I learned about the Fire Hopping technique I haven't touched a bike since.
I thought only inside drifting bikes couldn't fire hop.

I've been switching between the Pipe Frame kart and Flame Rider with Bowser lately, since they're both the same stat wise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I am in the minority of people who uses a heavy character, but Button wheels. Secret acceleration haha
You're not entirely alone, though I've used the Azure Roller wheels a lot more. For the most part, I've been fond of the following combination...

I as well use button wheels. They kind of remind me of giant Ritz crackers lol.

Btw, does anyone else in here use a bike? Or is the majority on karts?
I've used bikes from time to time, but only really the outside drifting variants; I don't really like how the inside drifting bikes work in this game. Of course, I'd never use Rosalina with a bike or ATV.

Top Bottom