• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Very pleased to see Shy Guy return! He was one of my favorite characters to play in MK7. No comment on Lakitu or Metal Mario though, lol. I really hope more characters will be revealed soon though... So far I honestly haven't been very impressed with the known characters thus far, with the Koopalings taking up much of it. I feel like there is still great potential for more reveals though, how could they have that Dry Bowser-themed track and no Dry Bowser?

Straight away loved Mario Kart Stadium, it looks really clean and neat, the lighting makes it look even more incredible. Not sure how to feel about the Boomerang and Piranha Plant, though. The Boomerang I feel like it may end up being op. I thought it may just be a one-time use item; but with the ability to use it three times hitting everything in front of you twice (potentially), it kind of seems like it'll be a very annoying item. I think it would have been much more unique if you could use it to steal other people's items or something. The Piranha Plant I don't have much of a comment on yet, I feel like I'll have to wait to actually experience using it and having someone else use it before I can make an actual opinion about it.

The retro tracks look amazing by the way. I hated Moo Moo Meadows in MKW; but oh my god it looks insane in MK8 it might just be enough to change my mind simply for the visuals alone. Also that oasis on Dry Dry Desert? Fantastic addition both visually and gameplay-wise. Really, really wish I could have seen more of Grumble Volcano though, that's the track I'm really hyped for.

Not sure how to feel on the MK7 blue shell, I really didn't like it much sliding across the floor obliterating everything in its path. I just wonder how Red Shells are going to work? Will they be the absolutely awful shells that they were in MKW? Or will they be the unstoppable, kill everything shells that they were in MK7? I also did not see any mention of the Thundercloud?????? Please Nintendo. Also, the fact that you can no longer possess triple shells whilst having another item in your inventory kind of saddens me. For example, I really liked having the ability to have triple shells around me and also have a mushroom. It offered both protection on myself, while allowing me to also have the ability to take shortcut(s) and such. Also going to throw in there that it looks like it is a lot easier to hit people with green shells and other projectiles now based on what I saw from that video.

Overall, it looks really nice, I'm excited for it. Thanks for posting @ PadWarrior PadWarrior

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm upset about the Triple Shell thing myself, seeing as how I can no longer have both a shield against most other items while also potentially being able to have a reliable back-up item should I lose the shells anymore.

I really think the Piranha Plant is going to be a fun item, albeit, one that I could also potentially end up hating when it's used against me. On the plus side, if I do end up hating it in that case, I'm sure I'll have absolutely tremendous amounts of fun using it myself.

One retro track I'd like to see is Sherbet Land from Double Dash. I can't imagine how amazing it would look visually.

Another Double Dash track that I really want to see return is it's version of Bowser's Castle, which is my favorite version of it along with Mario Kart Wii's version.

Gatlin

Major update to the first post with additional pictures and videos, including a video of all 16 tracks in the Mushroom, Flower, Shell, and Banana cups.
If I missed anything (which is highly likely cuz I'm super tired) lemme know! :teemo:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Gatlin Gatlin : The rich text editor is not very friendly when it comes to handling tags. You might want to fix up the primary post by removing the collapse tags that are useless. You can also disable the rich text editor by going to your preference settings.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's a better roster than Mario Kart 7 so far, but I'm still really really disappointed in it.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Just gonna copypaste my info thread from MKB to SmashBoards, eh. @ Gatlin Gatlin ?

jk, it doesn't bother me. I'm stoked for MK8 tho, ofc.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
It's a better roster than Mario Kart 7 so far, but I'm still really really disappointed in it.
Don't worry, we know there's characters to be announced, so let's hope they are awesome ones. ^^
Let's say there's room for 6 more characters.

Cranky, Mouser, Hammer Bro, Birdo, E. Gadd, and King Boo (the real, Luigi's Mansion King Boo, with the blue tongue and Gem Crown, not the fake King Boo like DD had) are some of my most wanted. :)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cranky, Dixie, E.Gadd, Birdo, Bowser Jr, Diddy, King Boo, Kamek, Nabbit, Plessie, Hammer Bros. That's pretty much my wants.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Any remaining participants could just be Diddy, Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Funky Kong, and Dry Bowser. Of course, maybe instead of Funky, old Cranky Kong could join the Mario Kart fray, and show everyone how Mario Kart's done.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
Slightly disappointed by the return of Metal Mario. Everything else looks fantastic. Loving the retro course redesigns. Still waiting for Yoshi Valley and Mushroom City.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Rainbow Road looks utterly gorgeous though. Like I want to make love to that Rainbow Road.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Looking beyond psychedelic and having big amounts of detail. Nintendo has outdone themselves again. Mario Kart Stadium has to be one of the most festive and amazing first tracks you ever get to race through - no, I think this game's Mushroom Cup is completely trouncing the previous installments by longshot.

I hope now for Sherbet Land GCN.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
On GameXplain's preview of @5:35-5:44, you can see some signs of where planes will arrive and land. Someone from mariokwartwii.com managed to blowup a picture. So far the locations are confirmed courses except for one:

N64 Yoshi Valley confirmed?

Not only is Yoshi Valley again, is that Sherbet Land (most likely Double Dash's) lower right hand corner???

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Spoilers for rest of the Retro Tracks:

Apparently Sherbet Land GCN and N64 Yoshi Valley confirmed

EDIT: ninja'd

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Without having played Mario Kart 8 yet, I don't believe I'm being too hasty in saying that this will be the best Mario Kart game of any in the series (subjective, of course). Having passed on Mario Kart 7 (which is out of character for me; I haven't really any reason as to why that happened. . .), I'm very much excited for this Wii U iteration (my last being Mario Kart Wii). From the stage diversity and design (new and old (Moo Moo Meadows and Tic-Toc Clock!)), new mechanics, characters and items (etc.), the game just seems like it's going to hit all of the right area's. I'll definitely make the effort to get a Wii U upon Mario Kart 8's launch (worst-case scenario being a week or two after), because this game really has me interested and excited (not to mention I've been wanting to play Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD equally as much for some time now).

LF2K

Floor Diver
I still hate how they chose "Water Park" as a track name. That's my only complaint so far...

But man, oh man, do the the retro courses look good. I hardly recognized them!

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I still hate how they chose "Water Park" as a track name. That's my only complaint so far...

But man, oh man, do the the retro courses look good. I hardly recognized them!
Well... it IS a Park. About Water. :D

But yeah, not very imaginative. Anyways. Yeah, it looks gorgeous, that's for sure. And it seems a LOT of people are suddenly planning to get Wii-Us. Mario Kart is a very powerful Selling tool, that's for sure.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I dunno, they could of come up with a better name. "Wario's Waterworld", maybe?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I kept telling myself I would never go back to non-handheld Karts after Wii. Needless to say, if I do get a Wii U, I'll probably take back that statement. Still kind of sad that F-Zero wasn't the one "debuting" all these gravity features, though.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
If kirby isn't in this ima cry. Sakurai shouldn't have teased me with that rosalina trailer. ;-;

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm honestly surprised that we got 3 N64 tracks. Speaking of which, there's only 3 unconfirmed retro tracks left. Wonder what they could possibly be?

My guess is we'll get at least one more 3DS track, a track from Wii, and maybe another track from Double Dash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does anyone else always feel very apathetic to new characters in Mario Kart? I can't remember ever being excited for a Mario kart newcomer....maybe Rosalina at a stretch.

I'd love to see more characters from Mario spinoffs and side franchises.

Professor E. Gadd (Luigi's Mansion)
Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
Pauline (Mario Vs Donkey Kong)
Vivian (Paper Mario)
Ashley (WarioWare)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Cackletta (Mario & Luigi)

If we had to have some non unique npcs I'd go for a Shroob (Mario & Luigi) and a Pianta (Mario Sunshine)

Now those would be some exciting additions, at least I think so.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Metal Mario kind of represents Smash, in a way. :p

Come to think about it, the Koopalings are the only announced newcomers, right? There's hopefully more.

LF2K

Floor Diver
The music from N64 Rainbow Road gave me chills. It's just that awesome. (But I do hope the original music will be an option for the retro courses. :p)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So far every Rainbow Road in the Mario Kart series has pretty much blown my mind already.

I really can't wait to see what the new Rainbow Road looks like.

LF2K

Floor Diver
That's what I'm thinking. The new Rainbow Road is going to look freakin' amazing! :chuckle:

Gatlin

Just gonna copypaste my info thread from MKB to SmashBoards, eh. @ Gatlin Gatlin ?

jk, it doesn't bother me. I'm stoked for MK8 tho, ofc.
Oh I had a tag at the bottom giving credit to you for information, but I think I deleted it when I removed the MK7 information last night, which was also at the bottom. I swear it was there lol, lemme re-add it.

D

Deleted member

I am loving how the new Mario Kart is looking right now!
The thing that caught my attention the most was definitely the N64 Rainbow Road. My mind was just bursting with nostalgia when I saw that course get a beautiful HD makeover.
Looking at how the graphics are and what the gameplay is like, I bet that we are in for a nice surprise. My only wish right now is for the Blue Falcon to be a Kart again as well as featuring an area from F-Zero. :p

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Even though I'm late to the party, I just found out about Rainbow Road 64 being in MK8. Words cannot describe the hype overload I had. I called up my friend since I know she's been crossing her fingers for it and she went crazy.

This game is REALLY turning out to be awesome!

Top Bottom