• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
Do you have a Wii-U? I don't have a 3DS, but I would like to play you sometime.

I don't like Mario as much in this game either, but I still play him and try to help people learn matchups.
-Sadly, no, i only have 3ds, i usually play wiiu only with friends who own one haha.

I'm actually playing well with DK and the one i have the most fun with is mii gunner, since Mario didn't got any significant changes, it's not that fun to play with him, at least for me, he has a kinda simple metagame, unless, some AT are found that change drastically his metagame...-

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
-Sadly, no, i only have 3ds, i usually play wiiu only with friends who own one haha.

I'm actually playing well with DK and the one i have the most fun with is mii gunner, since Mario didn't got any significant changes, it's not that fun to play with him, at least for me, he has a kinda simple metagame, unless, some AT are found that change drastically his metagame...-
Ah, well I will say whenever it works out for you, the Wii-U is very worth purchasing. There are a LOT of good games, and the system has a lot of neat features.

By the way, how is the competitive Smash 4 scene in Mexico? I imagine there's names you are familiar with there.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
Ah, well I will say whenever it works out for you, the Wii-U is very worth purchasing. There are a LOT of good games, and the system has a lot of neat features.

By the way, how is the competitive Smash 4 scene in Mexico? I imagine there's names you are familiar with there.
-It's great, better than brawl era, it has grown a lot and players like m2k and zero come here a lot.

I will try to help too with Mario, if i find stuff or with mu's, i think i can't drop him, since i have like 15 years playing with him haha...-

Last edited:
Playing Super Mario 3D World really makes me wish Toad was playable in this game. I don't care if he's dog **** in Smash ;-;

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Playing Super Mario 3D World really makes me wish Toad was playable in this game. I don't care if he's dog **** in Smash ;-;
You say that because Toad is generally known for being useless, but I bet you'd
have a different tone if it was someone like Zelda...

I'm not calling out on you specifically, just trying to show how perception of a character can
affect your attitude over his/her performance.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
-It's great, better than brawl era, it has grown a lot and players like m2k and zero come here a lot.

I will try to help too with Mario, if i find stuff or with mu's, i think i can't drop him, since i have like 15 years playing with him haha...-
Yeah, it'll be very, very difficult to walk away from a character that guys like us been using for nearly/over a decade now. I've been a plumber since the Melee days, I was a more of a casual player, never knew their was a competitive smash community until I started playing Brawl.

:pow:

Last edited:
You say that because Toad is generally known for being useless, but I bet you'd
have a different tone if it was someone like Zelda...

I'm not calling out on you specifically, just trying to show how perception of a character can
affect your attitude over his/her performance.
Er... I'm against the perception that he's useless :c

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Er... I'm against the perception that he's useless :c
I said generally, didn't I?

It's just... characters like Samus or Link tend to get mocked more mercilessly for being bottom tier
than characters like Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, Pichu etc.

Do you think people would be more surprised if Toad was good than if he was bad?

I said generally, didn't I?

It's just... characters like Samus or Link tend to get mocked more mercilessly for being bottom tier
than characters like Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, Pichu etc.

Do you think people would be more surprised if Toad was good than if he was bad?
I don't know tbh but eh. Whatever. I love Toad but Mario is great in Smash 4

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
What do you guys think about Mario's fludd in smash 4? In my honest opinion, it's not like the Brawl version where Mario can use it to make his opponent lag on one whole frame.

I haven't seen much of his fludd being use in multiple ways other then edge guarding situations.

Would like to hear anyone's opinion about this.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
FLUDD is great IMO. I never played Mario in brawl though to use a a comparison point
If your opponent is recovering high you can force them to eat it and then have them fall really really slowly and predictably so you can hit them with an aerial and rack up some more damage or even get a successful edgeguard.

When they catch onto this and start recovering low you can start trumping them by running off the ledge and caping towards it. Then you can start trump pressure which I think everyone would say is very strong in this game regardless of character.

So having a fully charged FLUDD at the ready enables you to have pretty comprehensive edgeguard game at the ready.

The other way I use FLUDD which I don't really see others use is to regain center stage positioning. When I grab ledge and use normal get up, mario is usually in a pretty bad position. Being pressured in the corner in this game is pretty scary. So I like to throw out a FLUDD when my opponent approaches just so I can push them back and give myself enough space to return to the center of the stage.

BSP

Smash Legend
What do you guys think about Mario's fludd in smash 4? In my honest opinion, it's not like the Brawl version where Mario can use it to make his opponent lag on one whole frame.

I haven't seen much of his fludd being use in multiple ways other then edge guarding situations.

Would like to hear anyone's opinion about this.

The removal of FIHL makes it better at accomplishing its main purpose, pushing people. Outside of edgeguarding, I mainly use it to push people who are retreating to the ledge past it, whiff punishing up B moves, and for pushing people camping the edges off the stage for a free approach. I haven't gotten to use HPFLUDD in a real match, but I'm sure it would turn some of normal FLUDD's pushing past the ledge into KOs.

Pushing people past the ledge when they are resetting to it needs to be expanded more IMO. People always do it and Mario is the only character that can seriously punish you for it.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The removal of FIHL makes it better at accomplishing its main purpose, pushing people. Outside of edgeguarding, I mainly use it to push people who are retreating to the ledge past it, whiff punishing up B moves, and for pushing people camping the edges off the stage for a free approach. I haven't gotten to use HPFLUDD in a real match, but I'm sure it would turn some of normal FLUDD's pushing past the ledge into KOs.

Pushing people past the ledge when they are resetting to it needs to be expanded more IMO. People always do it and Mario is the only character that can seriously punish you for it.
Honestly ledge resets are part of the reason I'm believing more in Scalding FLUDD these days, because when your opponent just waits for the animation and airdodges, your punish options to that are pretty limited. I don't think most good players outside of the Ness and Mac matchup should get edgeguarded by FLUDD unless you go out deep to threaten more options before FLUDDing.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
High Pressure Fludd is really good but not for getting KOs. It's kind of useless for that. It's good for positioning and for getting things like Olimar's Pikmin or projectiles away from you. It's an anti-zoning tool; that's about the extent of it. It's really good at what it does, but if your opponent isn't zoning, I'd rather take Scalding Fludd.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Good morning fellow plumbers.....

I was at a tourney yesterday, I finish in 17th place. Thanks to @BoTastic! (Bo X7) for picking me up for the tourney, nice to FINALLY meet you dood. Good stuff yesterday!

I can say that Mario is NOT the same as his brawl counterpart, It's like playing a brand new game.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
It was awesome dude. The car ride there was fun (minus the traffic) his dubz buddy greenbeast is mad funny.

Dr. Mario is bad......story of my life.

Last edited:
I almost fell in love with Dr. Mario but I was sent off-stage. Mario's effing fun though. I'm trying to get used to shocking cape's maximum range because pivoting it sounds like a good idea

Also, congrats to @ HeroMystic HeroMystic and San Antonio at TGC. MegaFox is too good as always

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I'm was trying Mario as a secondary cause I'm just not good enough to pull off Doc, and in an online match I used the FLUDD and the cape together to win the match at an early percentage.

I believe I found my new secondary.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Is getting a weak hit out of Mario's Nair simply a timing thing or is there a specific part of the hitbox that causes less knockback?

I know that frames 3-5 cause more damage than frames 6-29 but is that the only way to get a softer hit out of nair?

I think Mario's weak hit Nair is a really interesting tool that I'd like to integrate into my combo/pressure game.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Yo. I've been reading up on some Mario. The data dump states that Mario's cape is active from frame 12-14. Am I reading this correctly? It seems as though it has reflective properties longer than that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yo. I've been reading up on some Mario. The data dump states that Mario's cape is active from frame 12-14. Am I reading this correctly? It seems as though it has reflective properties longer than that.
That's correct, though we don't have specific data on when it actually reflects in this game.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
How many players here have never played Mario in a previous Smash game? I played Doc when I was like 10 and hardly count it. It seems like there's a lot of people with tons of Mario icons on their profile and an intimidating amount of experience with the character.
Of course, character discussion boards probably pull loyalists a bit more heavily so maybe it's a skewed sample.

I feel like I might be the only one playing him because I think he's strong more so than I love the character (obviously I must love Diddy and Sheik's style a little less, but I quit a character I initially enjoyed more to play this one because I found it winninger)

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The icons doesn't really matter tbh.

I played strictly Mario in Melee and 64 but I would hardly call myself a competitive player in either of those games.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I never really played mario before in any smash iteration.
I didn't like him in 64 but played him quite a bit cuz you could get 0% spikes off of a down B tornado.

I think he's great in this game though and definitely the most fun character to play in my opinion.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I've played Mario in every game pretty much, not sure why originally, but when melee came i loved the cape, and even though brawl mario was worse, i loved the concept of fludd comboed with cape. Now i have that option in smash 4 with a buffed fludd and sadly nerfed cape, but now with lots of combos, which are pretty awesome.

On a seperate note, I've got most of my experience with normal noncustom Smash 4 since the Michigan scene hasn't done any custom tournies yet, but I was playing around with them last night and I really like the feel of explosive punch in particular, you can combo alot of chars into death 0.o. Course, if you miss,you kinda give them a free smash on you, but thats just part of the package lol. Oh, and I'll have more (older) videos i'll be posting in the vid thread since it looks like the guy who recorded them is finally uploading them to youtube and trying to catch up to current videos ^.^

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If you're open to adding a new move to the gimping paradigm each game, you'll probably enjoy gust cape.

EJP is creeping its way from the reason I play Mario on the way to the reason I play Smash 4 and is hoping to conquer the reason I play Smash, the reason I play video games, and the reason I get out of bed in the morning

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah, my full custom set would be fast fireball gust cape exp jump punch and high press fludd/scalding depending for personal preference, though i really need to get more exp with them to not overly focus on them to the point of overusing them.

Dood, smash is like, my free time. All of my free time i just want to play smash vs good players. I've been making progress and want to become best in MI, then continue from there. I'm consistently placing in top 4 or so for most of our tournies so far, just need moar practice!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I really wanted to love EJP but it doesn't have the tiny nuances that I've come to love from SJP. :/

I'm going to be doing more thorough training with it though just for the experience. Also, I don't actually play Mario competitively in Melee or PM. Just played Mario in Brawl/64 (Not even competitive in 64)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I just wanted to drop into this thread and say that @ DtJ XeroXen DtJ XeroXen is godlike with Mario. You kind of make me want to second Mario now.

By the way, I know you played Kass and Fumbles at Alpha, so I was wondering how you think Mario does in the Rosalina matchup?

Yeah, it'll be very, very difficult to walk away from a character that guys like us been using for nearly/over a decade now. I've been a plumber since the Melee days, I was a more of a casual player, never knew their was a competitive smash community until I started playing Brawl.

Out of curiosity, are you the same Coolwhip from TYM?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I can't really say right now. It doesn't seem awful. Actually, I'd say it's pretty easy once Luma's out of the picture. Mario's bThrow pretty much instantly kills her if they're together, and they're apart it's of no consequence if you're close enough to do damage. From there it's mostly about pressuring her and avoiding her nair.

I don't dislike the matchup by any means so far though. I'd definitely recommend a Mario secondary.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Rosalina's pretty difficult if they go full defense and focus on spacing you, and Mario's very susceptible to U-air juggles, which is ridiculous when it comes from Rosie and Luma combined.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ DtJ XeroXen DtJ XeroXen , I must get a glimpse of your Mario sometime. And for that matter I would want to experiment with Mario custom sets while we're at it.

Top Bottom