• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

swim224

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any advice on how to play against Rosalina? I have a ton of difficulty approaching her thanks to luma, and even finishing her off feels like a challenge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Does anyone have any advice on how to play against Rosalina? I have a ton of difficulty approaching her thanks to luma, and even finishing her off feels like a challenge.
B-throw and D-air easily separate Luma.

Man, these boards are empty ;-;

Mairo's fun so I use him as a secondary to/back up for Shulk. It's been 3 weeks (or a month, I lost count) since I picked up Mario so I'm probably not switching anymore. I also picked up Diddy but there's a funny story behind that. You can probably know by just looking at my signature

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
All the mains from Brawl are either in their own crew they talk to, or stopped playing altogether.

Don't worry tho, you still have me.

BSP

Smash Legend
I've been finding :4pacman: a lot more fun than :4mario: as of late, even though the latter can grab reliably. There's just so much stuff Pac-Man can do.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I played against some really good NY Rosalina's and that matchup can feel really bad and

I had a tournament match on battlefield which felt totally unwinnable when Rosie got me up on a platform. Her range when she has Chico (japanese name for Luma... its a way better name) makes it really hard to return to stage.

I feel that Mario has ways to kill Chico quickly once he gets in on Rosalina but getting in itself is not that easy.
But then the real question is can you apply enough safe pressure on a Solo-Rosa to get an opening and push your advantage?
Approach options like cross up dair, well spaced bair, and jab poke seem like the best ways to get in.

But then when Mario gets in, Rosalina is a bit too light to eat standard throw into uptilt combos. Kills have to come from hard smash-attack reads.

What I feel would help this matchup immensely is knowledge on how to gimp Rosalina recovery, which I hear is quite unsafe but I don't actually see people in tournaments effectively killing her when she's off the edge.

Too much interesting characters in this game. At one point, I had everyone but Shulk in this game as a secondary

Also, I'm in love with Mario's u-air and u-throw :3

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What I feel would help this matchup immensely is knowledge on how to gimp Rosalina recovery, which I hear is quite unsafe but I don't actually see people in tournaments effectively killing her when she's off the edge.
http://www.twitch.tv/ultraarcade/b/625337186?t=1h27m21s

Too much interesting characters in this game. At one point, I had everyone but Shulk in this game as a secondary

Also, I'm in love with Mario's u-air and u-throw :3
There's a lot of characters I want to play but on a more "casual" level, like Wario and Rosalina. A lot of characters are interesting but for some reason I can't seem to pull away from Mario for tournaments. Like, I just feel dirty if I do that.

I actually had players tell me straight to my face that my Diddy was way better than my Shulk but I refuse to use Diddy in a tournament. I'm always miffed when this happens :I

Anyway, I use Mario because he's reliable. I don't think anyone in the cast solidly counters Mario so that's a huge plus. That, and he's fun to use.

Purple Mario is my color. Purple = Monado buster. I guess

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Precisely why I'm miffed every time someone actually says that. It's just a pocket Diddy. lol. It's probably just the salt from getting beaten by Diddy. I guess.
I guess I'm lucky everyone in my scene hates Diddy with a passion. We silently shame you for playing him.

Ironically, a lot of people that aren't the Top 10 players are trying to counter Mario for some reason.

To be fair, I only use Diddy when I'm in the mood to troll the hell out of people. That's basically the "story" behind picking up Diddy

Just for the lulz, I just saw you switch your avatar twice in a few minutes :p

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually had players tell me straight to my face that my Diddy was way better than my Shulk but I refuse to use Diddy in a tournament. I'm always miffed when this happens :I

Anyway, I use Mario because he's reliable. I don't think anyone in the cast solidly counters Mario so that's a huge plus. That, and he's fun to use.

Purple Mario is my color. Purple = Monado buster. I guess
Diddy for that matter is pretty awful for Mario on default settings...literally everything you do is walled and outclassed and you can't do anything fancy to stop him because he's way too short to safely use aerials against.

Only reason it's not 65/35 or worse is because if for whatever reason he accidentally throws away the first stock, he gets bodied by Mario snowballing a Rage lead.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I'm not a fan of Mario's fireballs in smash (Wii U)

Point number 1: Fireballs bounce a little too high, much slower and easily avoided.

Point number 2: After throwing a fireball, Mario has a ton of cool-down lag, which makes it somewhat hard to buffer with an option of my (your) choosing.

Point number 3: Hard b-reversal isn't an option anymore. :(

Can't wait to see what my Mexican brother from an another mother @ Flameleon Flameleon does with Mario in this version of Smash.

:pow:

Last edited:

Dulop

Smash Cadet
Hey guys :D yesterday I finally bought my copy of smash 3DS! I'm very happy.

Also, today i've been practicing online with a cool guy, and all the Mario's matches went in my favour. And I have much fun playing as Mario, so now he is officially my main :3

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hey guys :D yesterday I finally bought my copy of smash 3DS! I'm very happy.

Also, today i've been practicing online with a cool guy, and all the Mario's matches went in my favour. And I have much fan playing as Mario, so now he is officially my main :3
That's awesome. Now, change your avatar to make it official. (Just kidding)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
What up *******? I wish Bo had your avy Dulop because of all the forward airs he does :awesome:. It's really good though.

Rosalina is actually very light so a good Usmash read can kill. Also if you have the opportunity to kill luma, do it. Bthrow does a great job because as you swing Rosalina, you hit Luma quite far. I honestly Bthrow her every time she has luma. Even at 0%. Luma is hella annoying and kills at low percents. I hope those help.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not a fan of Mario's fireballs in smash (Wii U)

Point number 1: Fireballs bounce a little too high, much slower and easily avoided.

Point number 2: After throwing a fireball, Mario has a ton of cool-down lag, which makes it somewhat hard to buffer with an option of my (your) choosing.

Point number 3: Hard b-reversal isn't an option anymore. :(

Can't wait to see what my Mexican brother from an another mother @ Flameleon Flameleon does with Mario in this version of Smash.

About point 1, they really don't bounce much. What you're describing sounds more like Megavitamins.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Its like I've been ignoring all of the customs related posts and now they're all that matter.
So for a general strat do you think you'll stick with one custom set or alter your mario based on matchups?

I don't see myself changing any moves right now (Mario-kun is perfect the way he is) but if there are some matchups I can really alter I'd be interested.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'll be making a new thread to talk about Customs. Since they're showing up at EVO, it's imperative people find out how important they are for Mario. Full Default should never be used for Mario in a custom environment.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Does Will use any Mario at all?

That must sound terribly random haha, soz! I know Ally uses Mario, and Hero is doing stuff now but... hmm, should I ask the DK boards instead? :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Will uses DK and Sheik. I don't think he uses Mario at all but he has KirinBlaze as a practice partner, and his Mario is very solid. Though, I believe he's more fond of using Link these days.

I think KirinBlaze uses Link more than Mario. Also, yeah. Will uses Donkey Kong with Sheik

I went on like 29 classic mode runs on the 3DS and I still didn't get Mario's up B 3. At least I got fast fire ball, shocking cape and high pressure fludd. Those are my preferred customs

Last edited:

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-Emm, wzzup guyz, so, i'm back here again haha, so, what's going on around our lands nowdays.? imma read our forum so i can be up to date for all the stuff here.

@ Coolwhip Coolwhip : broskie, if u wanna see stuff of me, look over here: http://www.twitch.tv/trainingroommty/c/6091733

I gotta say, that i do NOT like Mario right now, mainly because i was a camp oriented Mario, so, i'm having trouble to be a full rushing Mario haha.

I'ts kinda nostalgic to see so many familiar names still here d:] -

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Its like I've been ignoring all of the customs related posts and now they're all that matter.
So for a general strat do you think you'll stick with one custom set or alter your mario based on matchups?

I don't see myself changing any moves right now (Mario-kun is perfect the way he is) but if there are some matchups I can really alter I'd be interested.
High Pressure FLUDD is a straight upgrade to default, and gust cape may be considered a straight upgrade too.

My Mario is rusty now, but when I pull him back out, which moves I will run is MU dependent. IE most of us agree to take scalding FLUDD in MUs where gimping isnt really feasible.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I went on like 29 classic mode runs on the 3DS and I still didn't get Mario's up B 3. At least I got fast fire ball, shocking cape and high pressure fludd. Those are my preferred customs
You have to get Explosive Jump Punch through a challenge. You have to get 200,000 or more points in Target Blast (It's in Challenge Panel #3).

You have to get Explosive Jump Punch through a challenge. You have to get 200,000 or more points in Target Blast (It's in Challenge Panel #3).
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for informing me :D

Edit: NVM

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Brawl Mario > Wii U Mario

I'm sorry fellow plumbers, I had to say it....

Thanks for the link, flameleon.

Can't wait until next weekend to meet up with Bo X7 and play some smash. It's been a historic wait.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Except high pressure has more charge time, though other than that it's true.
This isn't much of an issue if you know the different charge levels of HP FLUDD, as explained in my topic about it. At the cost of some range, Charge 3 HP FLUDD is still very effective at the cost of some range. And higher level charges past that are very effective when used in the air, even if they aren't fully charged.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Brawl Mario > Wii U Mario

I'm sorry fellow plumbers, I had to say it....

Thanks for the link, flameleon.

Can't wait until next weekend to meet up with Bo X7 and play some smash. It's been a historic wait.

If this game's engine was the exact same as Brawl's, you'd be right for the most part, only
really gaining a transcendent FLUDD. But it isn't.

Is it really a shameful thing to have a character become better through engine changes rather than
actual changes to the character?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
-Emm, wzzup guyz, so, i'm back here again haha, so, what's going on around our lands nowdays.? imma read our forum so i can be up to date for all the stuff here.

@ Coolwhip Coolwhip : broskie, if u wanna see stuff of me, look over here: http://www.twitch.tv/trainingroommty/c/6091733

I gotta say, that i do NOT like Mario right now, mainly because i was a camp oriented Mario, so, i'm having trouble to be a full rushing Mario haha.

I'ts kinda nostalgic to see so many familiar names still here d:] -
Do you have a Wii-U? I don't have a 3DS, but I would like to play you sometime.

I don't like Mario as much in this game either, but I still play him and try to help people learn matchups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom