• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
On the final puzzle right now, actually. My bad for the slowness.

EDIT: ALSO FIRE THAT WAS SILLY. (But if we want it back I can reupload it to private or something. Too much alcohol was definitely involved in the making of that video)

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I wanted to, but no one in my area wants to go, because there is a smaller local tournament that same weekend. I'd rather go where the challenge is, but they're pretty content being small time and stagnating their growth.

I mean, hey, it's Brawl, so whatever.

Except Rain has more P:M.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Whats up Coolwhip nothin much goin on except NO ONES GETTIN HYPE FOR ME IN THAT OTHER THREAD SO IMA SAY IT AGAIN HERE I JUST BEAT A FALCO

If theres anything you've learned from me in 2012, I am the worst against Falco. So this is huge for me right now.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I got 4th in a tournament with Mario yesterday. Somehow, I think I'm actually getting better at this game without playing it too much.

1st in a tournament with Mario in Minus though. ;)

I also got 1st in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I'm actually starting to get really good at that game, I'm gonna keep working on it. I think from now on I'll primarily be a Marvel player, but I'm definitely gonna keep playing smash too.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Nice nice. Unfortunately for me, Brawl is my only game. :(

Anyone else stay up last night watching Apex? That last match was some of the hypest yit I've seen in a long time!

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Yeah, Salem apparently was able to beat M2K in a close finish! It was really intense! Watch as ZZS goes up the tier list. Also, I was very surprised at Salem's interview, he seemed so shy, so quiet. I felt that he didn't really seem to care about the tournament.

BSP

Smash Legend
Nice nice. Unfortunately for me, Brawl is my only game. :(

Anyone else stay up last night watching Apex? That last match was some of the hypest yit I've seen in a long time!
Yes I did, but it was hard to stay focused past 2 AM lol. We need faster set format.

Salem was hype all day, and plenty of players gave spectacular performances. Gonna steal something from Brawlman1000: The only thing that could've made it better was being there in person.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Mario just can't do it. Way too many MKs and a horrible MU against him.
Yeah, I know, I just love the ZSS matchup so much. Now, with Mikeneko, MikeHaze, Mr. R, and Salem around, there will be so many Marths and ZSS that Mario's got a shot at making it through pools if he's good enough. [/wishful thinking]

But seriously, I hope Project M gets a tournament of it's own at APEX that isn't invite only. Then I'll see some Mario.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Shoutouts to the guy who dropped the pre-Spirit Bomb.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I forgot people try to get ranked lol. Im in NJ/NY. Having to deal with M2K/ADHD/Anti/Nairo/Vinnie in locals isn't worth trying. Like wtf? All 5 of those guys are national threats.

:phone:

steep

Smash Lord
@Coolwhip: Hey man! It's good to have the time to be able to get back on here! I miss talking to you guys! I have been working on my Mario again after a brief hiatus and I am getting a lot better with mixing up my options. I look forward to showing off some good results soon. I'm beating a lot of people who I couldn't even come close to beating before.

@SKidd: I dunno if you wanted advice, but as far as the Diddy MU goes, usually I sort of grab one of his bananas and run away and fireball camp. Lol seriously it works pretty well a lot of times. What you have to remember is that Diddy wants to get in because once he gets in he can gain SOOOO much momentum. Diddy is pretty much entirely momentum based, so your tools that really help to stop his combos are jab, ftilt, and up b, and in some instances, cape, so be ready to utilize those tools when appropriate. When you gain momentum on Diddy, just be smart and don't go in so hard that you put yourself in a bad situation because then Diddy can gain momentum back and he will most likely do a lot more damage than you did. So basically be smart and be safe, and know that Diddy doesn't really have options that shut you down completely, like Snake (ftilt), DDD (grab and bair), etc. so he isn't really that scary you just have to be smart.

As far as your Mario goes, you seem to make really good decisions in a lot of situations, but there are a couple of things I noticed that you do. The big one is that you tend to air dodge to ground WAY too often. If you rewatch that video you see that Kantrip started reading that you were going to air dodge to ground every time (even the fsmash kill that you got came from him dash attacking in thinking you were going to air dodge and you didn't that time). Just a habit to watch for. I used to do that a lot, and still find myself doing that sometimes, but it allows your opponent to not be afraid of approaching you when you are landing, which is an invaluable fear to take advantage of and a devastating psychological tool to lose in Brawl. You should work on your spacing a lot too, but that just comes with practice and more experience.

One other point I want to make is that you seem to use mostly smashes and specials. I would like to see a lot more jab, ftilt, utilt, bair, uair. A lot of times when you manage to get in on Kantrip you would use something like dsmash and then you lose the chance to follow up with a string that would have done a lot more damage than just hitting him with one smash attack you know?

The use of those tools and working on fixing that air dodge habit will really help you I think. Hope that helps and I hope you didn't mind me critiquing you. Keep up the Mario rep!

BSP

Smash Legend
Take the Diddy MU slow with mario. I agree with everything steep said. Also, although this is a no brained, respect the fact that his smashes and tilts are better than yours in the speed/range department. Mario's Dsmash can whiff on Diddy at X range while Diddy's will hit mario. Be careful.

Fludd also screws with rocket barrels, so make sure it's ready. Same goes for Nair (soft Nair is really good for hitting him out of them), fireballs, cape...heck, edge guard him hard.

:phone:

Top Bottom