• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 2010 Video Archives! - Updated 8/14

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I loled when I saw that.

Some clown on that site thinks I actually matter. I'll take that as a compliment haha.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
@ Gheb

I liked your use of nair OOS, and Mario's range on bair. It definitely helped with your defensive game in both matches.

I encourage you to try out Mario's stutter-stepped Fsmash and the set-ups for it. You unknowingly set it up perfectly a few times in both matches but didn't take advantage. For example, 2:21 on the first match. Bair spaces stutter-stepped Fsmash perfectly, and he tried for the shieldgrab. Had you done an Fsmash as soon as you landed, the Fsmash would've hit.

Hitting Mario's shield is generally unsafe because of his upB. For all intents and purposes, it's a good upB OOS. It comes out sooner than shuttleloop and dolphin slash, does 11%, and has invincibility. Don't hesitate to use it if you think nair OOS will miss, or pre-emptively if they're in range.

Fireball is a great approach tool that you seemed to be using well. However, even if they shield it, you have plenty of follow-ups for it. You can grab them while they're caught in fireball lag, you can dair-> DJ Nair their shield which is completely safe unless they're Marth or MK, you can run up to them after the fireball hits their shield and space a capejump, which also has range enough to be safe (not against characters like Sonic with his DA), and, if you're feeling gutsy, you can fireball, run pass the opponent, then pivot grab if you think they'll spot-dodge OOS. There are prolly a dozen other options that you can fool around with to mix your approach up.

ALWAYS keep your Fludd charged vs characters like Ness. If not for Fludding his upB for a 100% gimp on his recovery, you can easily screw up the spacing on his Fair, Dair, and Nair to get inside his wall.

Overall, I can tell you're a rather seasoned player. Once you've got Mario's options down, I can see him being a good main for low tiers for you.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zapdy8lo-co&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rbtkk83SPw&feature=related

My set vs Iliad, and my first real set of games against a Marth. I got destroyed. I'm very happy for it, since there's a lot that can be said about what I need to work on then. Critique Plz.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xTinxManx#p/u/14/HxLWJhv2ICQ

This was just a match in doubles from the same tournament. I got a lulz gimp, so I figured it'd be an interesting watch.

*edit* before anyone says anything about my camp game, I know I can't camp for beans. But when the only guy you can consistently face off against is a Pit main, you don't really have much time to practice that.

Matt07

Smash Master
0:34 First match when Marth does that part of Dancing Blade, and your shielding upB. If your in the hitstun you can SDI towards him and get an u-air.

Anyways some basics things to work on, f-air less. Also if a Marth is creating a f-air wall either Shield Dash in and go for a Grab, or the safer option would be to wait until he hits your shield and upB. Also try to roll less. Also when recovering always aim for the ledge, or else you'll get punished for RCO lag.

Also be less predictable when charging Forward Smash, it shouldn't used at times where your opponent could punish it.

I hope I helped, and I'm not too hard on you :urg:. Also I'm from Ontario too, we should try and meet up and play in a tournament sometime :).

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
0:34 First match when Marth does that part of Dancing Blade, and your shielding upB. If your in the hitstun you can SDI towards him and get an u-air.
I did not know that. I gotta try it out next time.

Anyways some basics things to work on, f-air less. Also if a Marth is creating a f-air wall either Shield Dash in and go for a Grab, or the safer option would be to wait until he hits your shield and upB. Also try to roll less. Also when recovering always aim for the ledge, or else you'll get punished for RCO lag.
I noticed the f-air and recovery issues I was doing. I've been trying to use my c-stick for aerials more recently, but unlearning the use of the A button is harder than I expected.

Also be less predictable when charging Forward Smash, it shouldn't used at times where your opponent could punish it.
Yeah. I noticed that my F-smashing wasn't getting me anywhere most of the time. I also know that I gotta work on spacing moves that aren't u-tilt, jab, or D-smash.

I hope I helped, and I'm not too hard on you :urg:. Also I'm from Ontario too, we should try and meet up and play in a tournament sometime :).
Not at all, not at all. That was the kind of response I was hoping for.
And we should definitely be in touch when going to tournaments. I'll be looking forward to it.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Updated:

Added Hippie vs. Knightmare
Added Juushichi.
Added a grip load of Vato's video.

Special thanks to Vato for being the ONLY person to put it in the format I've asked for.

Matt07

Smash Master
@Matador, I dunno if you want just Xero to critique these but I crituqued anyways :laugh:.

First match - Not a whole lot to say I mean I really didn't find anything you really need to work on. Maybe your spacing on the first stock, but your second and third stock you really stepped it up and did some amazing spacing stuff. Also your ledgegame mix-up's were really good.

Second match - Nothing I noticed, you just had a hard time landing the K.O on the first stock, which pretty much forced you to bring back the percentage again. Good stuff overall.

Third match - Yay MK. A match I'm familar with so I can give you some pointers. More Fireball's. I can't stress this enough. This is what forces Metaknight to approach you (unless he's d-airing but, just upB and punish), and it's what is best for an opening.

For Tornado UpB isn't such the best option. Unless he's hitting your shield then yes, but if he's not don't go for it, as seen in the match he baited it, and you got punished. If your caught in the Tornado, Smash DI up crazy, and you'll get an up air on him. Also if he's in Free Fall, just Fireball, MK doesn't really suffer from RCO, so if you try to follow with a grab/attack, your risking to eat a *insert move here* from MK. Fireball away is your safest option. Also if a MK is just sitting in **** shield don't b-air just stay back and Fireball, you'll just eat a n-air.

I think in my opinion, Tornado is what got you in this match, just work on ways on how to beat Tornado, and it'll be a lot closer ;).

@Kanzaki - Whoops my bad! But I dunno if you want those videos up cause they quality is kinda bad, but I'll fix it when I'm not lazy, lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First match Matador, you need to use more D-air to juggle (to frametrap dodges). I also suggest spending time to learn the Up-B to the top platform of BF trick.

Also more Jabs, otherwise your gameplay is pretty solid.

Oh yeah and please save Cape more. It's just as important, if not more important than your midair jump for recovering successfully, and wasting it is not wise.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
More Jabs, more D-air (especially for juggles since it frametraps dodges extremely well), learn how to SH Double B-air, more F-throw -> Fireball, punish Kirby's approaches more intelligently (you got hit by a lot of dumb DAs and other random things that are just stupid lol). Oh yeah you need to be smarter about Smashes as well, like just know when to use each Smash. Jabs -> D-smash can legit combo on Kirby, Up-smash anti-airs him, F-smash can outrange everything....yeah.

That's all you'll get from me for now. Hope it helps.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Cool and thanks I'm thinking about secondarying him tryna choose right now.
I've been playing all Fox with out secondary ya know so I thought it would be time to pick up one. Mario can cover Shiek and Pika right.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Re-posted again no one critiqued it.
you can FLUDD more even if it is just to pushing someone further from the ledge, Buffering would be a good thing to add as well, and UpB would make a nice mindgame since you rarely use it. Done forget that D-Tilt is very effective at high percentages ^_^. Good job

i like trying to F-air before the kirby can pull off his UpB. I dont get it most the time but when I get it off i feel good about myself^_^

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
FLUDD when he is onstage to start edgegaurding and/or when is offstage to continue edgegaurding and go for the gimp?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I have Vato's combo vid on my Zune.

He does this one combo on a Diddy that makes me cream.

Was amazing...and kind of embarrassing...

@Matador, I dunno if you want just Xero to critique these but I crituqued anyways :laugh:.

First match - Not a whole lot to say I mean I really didn't find anything you really need to work on. Maybe your spacing on the first stock, but your second and third stock you really stepped it up and did some amazing spacing stuff. Also your ledgegame mix-up's were really good.

Second match - Nothing I noticed, you just had a hard time landing the K.O on the first stock, which pretty much forced you to bring back the percentage again. Good stuff overall.

Third match - Yay MK. A match I'm familar with so I can give you some pointers. More Fireball's. I can't stress this enough. This is what forces Metaknight to approach you (unless he's d-airing but, just upB and punish), and it's what is best for an opening.

For Tornado UpB isn't such the best option. Unless he's hitting your shield then yes, but if he's not don't go for it, as seen in the match he baited it, and you got punished. If your caught in the Tornado, Smash DI up crazy, and you'll get an up air on him. Also if he's in Free Fall, just Fireball, MK doesn't really suffer from RCO, so if you try to follow with a grab/attack, your risking to eat a *insert move here* from MK. Fireball away is your safest option. Also if a MK is just sitting in **** shield don't b-air just stay back and Fireball, you'll just eat a n-air.

I think in my opinion, Tornado is what got you in this match, just work on ways on how to beat Tornado, and it'll be a lot closer ;).
Thanks so much Matt ^_^

Yeah, I'll try something different vs MK's nado next time. Cape and Usmash are usually my go-to tools, but I guess I was nervous and wanted the sure thing.

And it's weird, I SDI up EVERY TIME...I just don't do it fast enough I guess. I was going for the free Uair.

First match Matador, you need to use more D-air to juggle (to frametrap dodges). I also suggest spending time to learn the Up-B to the top platform of BF trick.

Also more Jabs, otherwise your gameplay is pretty solid.

Oh yeah and please save Cape more. It's just as important, if not more important than your midair jump for recovering successfully, and wasting it is not wise.
Thanks A2Z, much appreciated.

What should I do instead of cape that far back? Double jump and save the cape?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ideally you should save both, but if you know someone is trying to edgehog you since you didn't DI perfectly or something, sometimes yes, you should use your Double jump FIRST, and then save cape for the moment they try to edgehog. Your Cape doesn't give you much distance at all when recovering, and that's not what it's used for anyway, so don't pretend that it gives you a huge horizontal boost in recovery. It's potential lies in its ability to stall, but it is only good for that when used for the first time, since after that you will lose too much height.

This requires reading your opponent, but used right, the Cape will allow you to wait out their invincibility frames as they edgegrab, and then you will force them to get up as you Up-B. Now alternatively if they know the matchup, they will try to wait for the Cape itself before edgehogging. This is where you just Up-B to the ledge immediately.

This tactic coupled with my consistently amazing DI is why I never really complain about getting gimped as Mario.

vato_break

Smash Master
i think mario vs mk onstage isnt that bad but mario cannot combat mk offstage AT ALL imo if you have a charged fludd use it...in fact i actually think fludd is very useful and i have a feeling sometime along marios metagame it will become a staple in this matchup

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i think mario vs mk onstage isnt that bad but mario cannot combat mk offstage AT ALL imo if you have a charged fludd use it...in fact i actually think fludd is very useful and i have a feeling sometime along marios metagame it will become a staple in this matchup
I agree, I haven't ever really been punished for using it offstage. It usually works just like it should.

You just can't use it too far from the stage or they have enough time to just grab the ledge anyway.

vato_break

Smash Master
i remember in friendlies once that fludd could stagespike however i fludded from far away so not too much fludd had been used, someone should test and see if fludd has enough knockback to hit them off the ledge.

Matt07

Smash Master
i remember in friendlies once that fludd could stagespike however i fludded from far away so not too much fludd had been used, someone should test and see if fludd has enough knockback to hit them off the ledge.
I agree, this should be looked into too.

@Kirin - Really good match. You held the first stock really well, and you mixed up your playstyles. Second stock he kinda got quite a good percent on you, but you still won so it doesn't really matter anyways, lol.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This is a set of me and my win against Keen last weekend at The Showdown. Before I even get into it, I'm going to admit that I didn't really know how to fight Peach going in and wasn't confident in landing my kill moves, so I played defensive/campy and timed the guy out twice to win the set. (I think I did better as the set went on, however.)

Juushichi (Mario) vs Keen (Peach) - Battlefield (L)
Juushichi (Mario) vs Keen (Peach) - Delfino Plaza (W)
Juushichi (Mario) vs Keen (Peach) - Smashville (W)

That being said, any criticism is helpful. I know I want to improve as a player.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I don't think that Peach knew how to fight a Mario due to the turnip spamming, just cape them back. But yea, usually if you don't know how to play a match up, play defensive/campy! It always work! Good job xD

I only watched the last match, but was cute, it was like a lil Metaknight in the making xD And lawl at stage spike -> foot stool, those always make me a lil wet.

But yea, here's an example of me fighting a Peach, I thin only 1 turnip hit me, if any:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzDu6NWy3io

Thanks for being like the only person putting it in my format btw <3

Top Bottom