• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

March Smashness!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hello everyone.

As some of you may know, March Madness has begun in the NCAA! For those who don't know, March Madness is a yearly NCAA event where the top 32 teams in NCAA Division I compete in a tourney that caps off thier season. So, here I bring March Smashness! 32 franchises represented in Smash will be voted on by Smashboards to determine which is the best franchise in the series! Each will be progessed through a (completely randomized, trust me) bracket, and will proceed to get votes. The winner advances to the next round. The loser, well... won't. However, there are 39 franchises in Smash, so I had to cut it down a bit

So our first eliminations from playoff contention (drowned in pools);
Ice Climbers
Game and Watch
ROB
Duck Hunt

And to cut the number to 32...
Mario, Wario, DK, and Yoshi have been rolled into one singular Mario Universe. Wii Fit and Miis have been rolled into the Wii Series.
Without further ado, the bracket
MarchSmashness(Round1).jpg

And...Round one voting!

For the sake of making things easy for me, voting for each round will shut down about 24 hours from when it was posted. So let's say this will close at 5:00 PM US Central Time tomorrow

Alright, have fun!

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hello everyone, I appreciate y'all participating in the poll, I had almost 20 responses (which given that non major threads on this site die fast af, is something nice to see). Well, round one is done, so lets show the new bracket:

MarchSmashness(Round2).jpg

And now for some stats (19 votes overall):
Biggest Blowouts:
Bayonetta vs. SF, Kirby vs. F-Zero, and Fire Emblem vs Fatal Fury all had a whopping... 3 votes for the losing team each

Biggest upset (IMO): Castlevania beat Splatoon, not what I expected for sure, and I'm not gonna lie, and early on, Castlevania destroyed Splatoon. Splatoon got a bit of late votes, but it lost 11-8.

Closest Race (IMO): Final Fantasy vs Pokemon. You would think it was a blowout, right? Wrong, FF was actually leading Pokemon by a significant margin early on, but as more votes came it, Pokemon fought back. It was 50/50, a true power struggle for a while, but at the end, Pokemon won by... 1 vote. Now if it were 50/50, I would be the tiedbreaker, and lets just say... the rat would have lost.

Another close one: StarFox vs Punch Out. Punch Out was destroying it early on, like damn near 100-0. But Star Fox fought back and... lost by one. A reverse story of the closest one.

Now for round two!

Voting closes at 6:00 US Central tomorrow

]Minecraft (73.7) v Eathbound (26.3)
Final Fantasy (47.4) v Pokemon (52.6)
Street Fighter (84.2)
v Bayonetta (15.8)
Tekken (36.8) vs Mario Universe (63.2)
Dragon Quest (57.9)
v Pac-Man (42.1)
Splatoon (42.1) vs Castlevania (57.9)
Punch Out (52.6)
v Star Fox (47.4)
Metroid (63.2) v Pikmin (36.8)
Zelda (73.7) v Kid Icarus (26.3)
Banjo (36.8) v Animal Crossing (63.2)
Kingdom Hearts (63.2)
v Persona (36.8)
Metal Gear (26.3) v Sonic (73.7)
Arms (36.2) v Wii Series (63.8)
Xenoblade (36.8) v Mega Man (63.2)
Fire Emblem (84.2)
v Fatal Fury (15.8)
Kirby (84.2) v F-Zero (15.8)

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Oof, not a lot of my votes made it to this round, oh well, one of my favorites at least did (Fire Emblem) although not sure it stands much of a chance against Kirby

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
March Smashness bracket update:
Again, I do appreciate everyone participating once again, votes were way up. These battles... weren't even close, all wins were by good-significant margin, but I bet these next matchups are gonna be significantly closer. Let's look at the standings...

MarchSmashness(Elite8).jpg

Yeah, I know some of these are gonna be TOUGH, and again, randomized seeding, but I think this worked for the better. Now for some stats:
Votes: 27 (Up from 19)
Closest match: Kirby vs Fire Emblem. Kirby still won by over 60%, so uh yeah. FE didn't stand a chance
Biggest Blowout: Zelda vs Animal Crossing: Animal Crossing didn't even get 15% of the vote.
No real upsets to be found.

Vote Vote VOTE

Pokemon (66.7)v Minecraft (33.3)
Street Fighter (22.2) v Mario (77.8)
Dragon Quest (29.6) v Castlevania (70.4)
Punch Out (22.2) v Metroid (77.8)
Zelda (85.2)
v Animal Crossing (14.8)
Kingdom Hearts (25.9) v Sonic (74.1)
Wii Series (29.6) v Mega Man (70.4)
Fire Emblem (37) v Kirby (63)

Voting will close around 6:30 US Central tomorrow

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Welcome back to March Smashness, we hit the final four! These ones were tightly contested, much less of a margin of leads, but in the end, only four move on.
Here is the backet

MarchSmashness(Final4).jpg

As you can clearly see, the entire bracket is now Samus vs Scrimbo Bimblos. Sonic is the last remaining 3rd party franchise, Metroid is the only one that is not primarily a platformer franchise. Since there was only four brackets, I'll just lay on the statistics right now.

Total votes: 25

• Mario v Pokemon was a 50-50 split to start, but Mario was slowly pulling away the more votes came in. Mario leaped for a 16-9 finish, Pokemon just couldn't catch the W.
  • Metroid got a significant lead early on, it was 5-0 at the start of the round. Sadly, it was too much for Castlevania to make up. Metroid crawled to a 16-9 victory.
  • The closest one of the day: Sonic vs Zelda. This was hotly contested, there were multiple lead changes as voting came it, it started off 50-50 right off the gate. However, Sonic sprinted to the finish line last second, taking a win 13-12.
  • And shockingly, Mega Man v Kirby was close as well. This one also had several lead changes, I actually thought Mega Man would score the upset, it was leading for a while, but Kirby has the benefit of the late votes. Smashboards decided their favorite copy machine is the Pink Puff, as Kirby Swallows a 15-10 victory.
AND VOTE NOW

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Alright, we hit the final for March Smashness. Y'all voted, y'all determined, and well...

MarchSmashness(NationalChampionship).jpg

Y'all are basic as all hell.

But I can't rig the vote, so here's the Stats:
24 votes.

Metroid didn't have a chance, it got clapped like 9-1. In the end, it only got 5 votes vs Mario's 19.
Kirby faired a little better, getting 9 votes. Sonic got 15.

Yeah, none of these matches were close. RIP

Voting Form

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
March Smashness: Finale!

Alright, I would like to thank you all for voting as usual, befire I reveal the national Smashion, I would like to return to the rankings.

Disqualified:
Ice Climbers
ROB
G&W
Duck Hunt

First round exits:
Earthbound (eliminated by Minecraft)
Final Fantasy (e. Pokemon)
Bayonetta (e. Street Fighter)
Tekken (e. Mario)
Pac-Man (e. Draqon Quest)
Splatoon (e. Castlevania)
Star Fox (e. Punch Out)
Pikmin (e. Metroid)
Kid Icarus (e. Zelda)
Banjo-Kazooie (e. Animal Crossing)
Persona (e. Kingdom Hearts)
Metal Gear (e. Sonic)
Arms (e. Wii Series)
Xenoblade (e. Mega Man)
Fatal Fury (e. Fire Emblem)
F-Zero (e. Kirby)
Minecraft (e. Pokemon)
Street Fighter (e. Mario Universe)
Dragon Quest (e. Castlevania)
Punch Out (e. Metroid)
Animal Crossing (e. Zelda)
Kingdom Hearts (e. Sonic)
Wii Series (e. Mega Man)
Fire Emblem (e. Kirby)
Pokemon (e. Mario Universe)
Castlevania (e. Metroid)
Zelda (e. Sonic)
Mega Man (e. Kirby)
Metroid (e. Mario)
Kirby (e. Sonic)

And alas, the grand finale, the final winner. With 22 votes counted, the winner is...
THE MARIO UNIVERSE. Mario wins 14-8.

1. Fighting games aren't very popular on the boards. Fatal Fury and Tekken both lost round 1. Street Fighter got destroyed round 2. RIP.
  2. Non-platformer Third Parties in general faired bad. Majority got eliminated round one, and most adances were vs other third parties.
  3. RPGs may have faired the worst of them all. Despite Smash being filled with them, Pokemon was the only one that made it past round two, and all lost to a primarly platformer franchise.
  4. Smashboards hates more darker/mature franchises. Metroid and Castlevania were the only franchise for mature audiences (say rated T and up) that made it past round two, vast majority got eliminated round one.
  5. I heavily disagree with some of the choices y'all made, but I can't rig the vote.
  6. Smashboards's favorite food is white bread.
Thanks for participating!

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
March Smashness: Finale!

Alright, I would like to thank you all for voting as usual, befire I reveal the national Smashion, I would like to return to the rankings.

Disqualified:
Ice Climbers
ROB
G&W
Duck Hunt

First round exits:
Earthbound (eliminated by Minecraft)
Final Fantasy (e. Pokemon)
Bayonetta (e. Street Fighter)
Tekken (e. Mario)
Pac-Man (e. Draqon Quest)
Splatoon (e. Castlevania)
Star Fox (e. Punch Out)
Pikmin (e. Metroid)
Kid Icarus (e. Zelda)
Banjo-Kazooie (e. Animal Crossing)
Persona (e. Kingdom Hearts)
Metal Gear (e. Sonic)
Arms (e. Wii Series)
Xenoblade (e. Mega Man)
Fatal Fury (e. Fire Emblem)
F-Zero (e. Kirby)
Minecraft (e. Pokemon)
Street Fighter (e. Mario Universe)
Dragon Quest (e. Castlevania)
Punch Out (e. Metroid)
Animal Crossing (e. Zelda)
Kingdom Hearts (e. Sonic)
Wii Series (e. Mega Man)
Fire Emblem (e. Kirby)
Pokemon (e. Mario Universe)
Castlevania (e. Metroid)
Zelda (e. Sonic)
Mega Man (e. Kirby)
Metroid (e. Mario)
Kirby (e. Sonic)

And alas, the grand finale, the final winner. With 22 votes counted, the winner is...
THE MARIO UNIVERSE. Mario wins 14-8.

1. Fighting games aren't very popular on the boards. Fatal Fury and Tekken both lost round 1. Street Fighter got destroyed round 2. RIP.
  2. Non-platformer Third Parties in general faired bad. Majority got eliminated round one, and most adances were vs other third parties.
  3. RPGs may have faired the worst of them all. Despite Smash being filled with them, Pokemon was the only one that made it past round two, and all lost to a primarly platformer franchise.
  4. Smashboards hates more darker/mature franchises. Metroid and Castlevania were the only franchise for mature audiences (say rated T and up) that made it past round two, vast majority got eliminated round one.
  5. I heavily disagree with some of the choices y'all made, but I can't rig the vote.
  6. Smashboards's favorite food is white bread.
Thanks for participating!
To be fair, Tekken, and Fatal Fury barely stood a chance against the likes of franchises as big as Mario and Fire Emblem. Street Fighter not getting a higher vote even with Mario as it's opponent is still a bit surprising, though.

What really surprises me is that, even with the franchise's reception being bit more mixed, Sonic still managed to beat out both Zelda and Kirby.

With that said, congrats to the plumber in red!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Speaking as a Sonic fan, if there's one thing we're good at, its rallying around voting for him in polls that he has no business winning

Top Bottom