• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Manual Tripping and Techjumping

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
So umm....what would the tech jumping animation look like (we'd have to make an animation you know)? I was thinking it could be a sped up, yet very short, version of the character's roll animation (in the direction that they hit the ground, so they'd do a left roll if they were moving left when they hit the ground) followed by a sped up jump animation with a little of the horizontal momentum from the attack carrying over (a very small amount).

What do you guys think?
I was thinking it would use a normal jumping animation. Simple enough, right? It just needs to look respectable.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Why not just use the techjump animation, but on the ground? Or can that even be done?
Umm...you'd look like you're jumping off an invisible wall.

I was thinking it would use a normal jumping animation. Simple enough, right? It just needs to look respectable.
The thing is though, you need some kind of transition from the tumble state to the jumping state. I think it would look really odd if on one frame your falling on your back, but on the next your suddenly on your feet and jumping.

Mechanics wise it doesn't need any special animation, but I kinda wanted it to look...logical. Maybe a normal tech animation first instead of the tech roll? They just need something to explain how they got back on their feet.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I think it would just be a standing tech animation in which they're boosted upward at the point they turn upside down. I'm not sure if it's possible to have a character be moved into the air while still be considered to be in the tech animation, but in a worst case scenario you'd just make it so it was the jump animation at the point they leave the ground.

You could get something that resembled a jumptech in melee if you were hit into the ground, I believe (this seems to be what is common among all of the jumptechs I've done so far... I was still in knockback when they happened), so this is basically what I'm trying to emulate here. I wish I had videos of me (or someone else) doing it, though... then I might be able to figure out how to actually do it intentionally >_>

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^The tech jump thing you're refering to happens when you're hit to the edge of a platform, tech at the edge, and slide off during the tech, and then immediately jump. It indeed looks really cool, but honestly way too fast to be balanced if that's how we're implementing it. I was thinking that it should actually take a little bit longer than a standard tech (since you get the benefit of...moving), but less than a tech roll.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Okay. How about this?

The character would do the recovering animation of a normal tech. Like, for example, my main, Marth, does a hand stand and then jumps to his feet.

Just going on the assumption that anything is possible (Just to get the image across), Marth starts to rise up into the air during the start of his tech animation, and when he reaches a certain point in the animation, he'd be switched into his neutral falling jump animation, and at that point, he'd be at his apex and now falling.

You see what I mean? This way, it'd be clear to see when the invicframes end, and to promote balance, through this animation method, you could force a specific height if its agreed upon by supporters, than techjumped heights should be universal.

Because he'd be in his neutral fall animation, it'd be a clear indication of when he gets control and you know you can do something.

I could make a frame by frame example if I had the ability to.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^It makes sense for some characters (Marth for example), but how would that look with Bowser? I really think we should include the character's jump animations somehow, since some characters' tech animations just don't look like they'd make any sense in the air.

If we can move characters into the air during the tech animation...then I think it'd have to be a more character specific thing to make it look right, which would take a lot of line space.

I'm talking purely cosmetically right now. If we're going to implement this, it should not look out of place (and Bowser rising into the air while slowly flipping over his turtle shell would look incredibly odd). Ideally it should look just as pretty as the other tech options. That's kinda why I was just going for a combination of character specific animations, rather than trying to make a new one or taking one animation out of context.

D

Deleted member

I meant rotating the tech animation so it would look like you were hopping off of the ground.

Though thinking it over again, that'd look really goofy. Nevermind. >_>
Yeah, I just took some screenshots of characeters wall-techjumping and if you flip them 90 degrees they look kinda weird.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
(and Bowser rising into the air while slowly flipping over his turtle shell would look incredibly odd).
If by incredibly odd, you mean incredibly badass, then I agree with you.

But in all seriousness, maybe you could use airdodge animations? There wouldn't be the appearance of a jump, but you could also borrow the invincibility and vulnerability data from it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
And by that of course you mean random air tripping.
Best Correction of 2009.

But really, back onto the topic of Techjumping.

Usually when a character normally techs on the ground, he is upside down, sooo we move him up during the first few frames of the upside down animation and turn it into a jumping animation which then goes into a normal jump animation to a fall animation

Even so, that's one more direction your opponent can go.

The only thing that this would even be useful for is avoiding tech chases. If you make it so it can still be tech chased, then it's useless.
If you make it so it cannot be tech chased, it destroys characters.

It's a good idea, really. Tech Jumping a spike into a GTFO aerial would be really satisfying.
I just don't see a good way to implement this, nor a need for it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Even so, that's one more direction your opponent can go.

The only thing that this would even be useful for is avoiding tech chases. If you make it so it can still be tech chased, then it's useless.
If you make it so it cannot be tech chased, it destroys characters.

It's a good idea, really. Tech Jumping a spike into a GTFO aerial would be really satisfying.
I just don't see a good way to implement this, nor a need for it.

There is no real need for it, but like much of what B+ has done to Brawl, Depth would be added out the ***.

Hell, if this is figured out, it might very well make it into B+

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Coding something entirely new into the engine like that, which no character has an animation for, would be almost stupidly difficult and probably very buggy.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Coding something entirely new into the engine like that, which no character has an animation for, would be almost stupidly difficult and probably very buggy.

This is obviously true and we already know this, which is why we're only talking about it on a hypothetical sense on how it would work.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
back on the manual tripping, not much point for it, but as someone said there is no invincibility while tripping, could that be programmed in? (would that effect all tripping, like on bananas, if so then it wouldn't work, but if you could just do it for regular tripping that you induce it'd be just a variation of a dodge but looks and moves slightly different, confusing the opponent)

Blad01

Smash Lord
Tech-jumping would be cool, but xould also allows to counter 'combos' or aggresive phases... What you don't want in B+, don't you ? :o

D

Deleted member

Tech window V0.3 [spunit262, Phantom Wings]
C277F190 00000013
80BF0068 88C5008F
81050074 71000008
40A2000C 88E5008E
7CC63A14 2C060014
41A10074 80810010
2C040046 41A00068
2C04004C 41A10060
2C040049 41820058
41A00008 3884FFFC
3884FFBA 5484083C
38840060 2C040062
41810038 41820018
80E50038 54E76D3E
2C0707E5 41A00008
38800061 80E50038
7CE79E70 2C0707E5
4080000C 71000004
41A20008 38800063
90810010 00000000

Currently you can jump tech a ground tech, I can easy remove it but it will add a line.
So, sp unit262 made techjumping as a byproduct of the Tech Window Fix code, as of right now it's pretty broken since it's so good you'd never use a techroll over this. So yeah... Discuss.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I've done it. The window is pretty hard and ********. And how it stands now, yes. Tech jumping is broken. That's because there are no limitations placed on it. You can immediately aerial out of a techjump and there is no legit way to chase it. You can DJ out of it, Fast fall. Airdodge, everything you coudl do as if it was a normal jump. This is not good.

There needs to be heavy limitations and restrictions placed on techjumping in order to make it something worth using. Limit the height. Take away the double jump. Force a frame duration in which the techjumper cannot act. Add invinciframes to 90% of this duration. Allow fast fall and AD and attacking. And you have yourself a tech.

The Night Cat

Smash Cadet
So, sp unit262 made techjumping as a byproduct of the Tech Window Fix code, as of right now it's pretty broken since it's so good you'd never use a techroll over this. So yeah... Discuss.
What I have discovered so far:

To do a ground tech-jump(GTjump) you have start hitting the tech and jump buttons before your regular tech height/time. If you hit them late you'll get a regular tech and if you hit them too early you'll get nothing but the window is generous. Also if you come out of hitstun before or during the ground tech jump window I just described you'll probably air dodge, jump or jump and airdodge.

This information is from practicing with link and bombing myself.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ultimately, the way it should work should be exactly like tech rolling. You hold up when you tech and you do the jump. Simple as that.

Top Bottom