• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MannCo: Cookie Country v3

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman

Im to lazy to write, so I'll let this video I made do the talking.
Sometimes I feel like you've been pushed into insanity over the past few months, Scout, and videos like this are why.

Album Link: http://imgur.com/a/BTdHJ

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cga8znteaas8ubt

So I have sad news, this stage... due to how unique the sky model is, it doesn't seem to work on my wii. Due to the risk of loosing time with it, I stopped working with it as it is, and I release it as a thread exclusive until its made certain this works on other's wii.
Wow, the lighting looks great. The shadows on the characters are so nice. I would test it on my Wii right now if it weren't for all these papers I have to write right now. D:

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I'll test it on my Wii, should be able to get back to ya by tomorrow, looks fantastic though!

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
As beautiful as that is, do you think that might be a bit too much detail in the grass?
Still working on it, with Photoshop that should be a breeze, there are many brawl stages that uses distant grass textures, I just need to find them.

Dio still ate the sky...

In all honesty, good work on this m8! :)
I think your sky worries will be a thing of the past.
00000000-24.png

See that? Even the mech has some shine to it. Have to fix some of his settings tho, somethings are dark. And the sky needs to be bigger.

Every metallic surface on this stage will have a shine applied to it.

Untitled.png

Also, 3ds max 2016 and Brawl Box 0.75b feels fantastic! I recommend everyone to update.

Last edited:

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Sorry it took me so long! I can confirm that Heaven's Call soft freezes the game upon selection on a normal Wii

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Sorry it took me so long! I can confirm that Heaven's Call soft freezes the game upon selection on a normal Wii
Then its dolphin exclusive. How unfortunate. Heaven's call was an experiment on how to add shine on surfaces, it was never intended to be a stage on its own. But I released it hoping someone could take over.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I broke a thing:

JK.

I just decided to start somethings over, from a clean canvas and optimized models, stock lights and no backgrounds to fix all clutter I left behind from the trials and errors.

I figured since I learned somethings, I apply them fresh instead of just injecting it between my attempts. AND, I could optimize more, so I did:

B4

After

The Lower Pollys = Less lag, the B4 results from the testers concluded that it only lags if you tried to make it lag, with the further optimizations, that would settle any lag situation.

Before: 2.68MB
Now: 2.17MB

With the lower .pac size I imported some other models and material settings.

In addition to that, I discovered FOV materials. A tool that lowers flickers from a texture the further away its from the camera.

Even with MAX FOV's, certain things still flicker, but that is easy to fix, make it a solid color using the new UV mapping viewer included in BB .75b

With the mechs and FOV's, the stage is now: 2.46Mb
Thats a nice looking night setting isn't it? I wonder if I can use it.

I also discovered something else:

He's not textured like that.

Handy little glitch to keep in mind...

Last edited:

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
I broke a thing:

z

JK.

I just decided to start somethings over, from a clean canvas and optimized models, stock lights and no backgrounds to fix all clutter I left behind from the trials and errors.

I figured since I learned somethings, I apply them fresh instead of just injecting it between my attempts. AND, I could optimize more, so I did:

B4

After

The Lower Pollys = Less lag, the B4 results from the testers concluded that it only lags if you tried to make it lag, with the further optimizations, that would settle any lag situation.

In addition to that, I discovered FOV materials. A tool that lowers flickers from a texture the further away its from the camera.

Even with MAX FOV's, certain things still flicker, but that is easy to fix, make it a solid color using the new UV mapping viewer included in BB .75b

The resemblence is really similar. Anyway what are you working on next after Boggly Woods

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice

So, when characters appear in front of the texture, they turn all black, like a silhouette? If you could switch the effect on and off, you could make a stage that occasionally loses light, like that one level from Sonic Lost World that was a ripoff of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or something... I don't know how it would affect a match though, whether it would be fun or frustrating.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
So, when characters appear in front of the texture, they turn all black, like a silhouette? If you could switch the effect on and off, you could make a stage that occasionally loses light, like that one level from Sonic Lost World that was a ripoff of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or something... I don't know how it would affect a match though, whether it would be fun or frustrating.
Nope. Regardless of their location, the characters are always black. What I did is apply "glow in the dark" effect to certain models in the background to make them not react with black lights... giving the illusion of the characters being silhouette when they are actually just enveloped with dark light.

Characters with glow in the dark pieces will look epic.

I have to learn a bit more about dynamic lights in order to attempt that, just trial and errors.

I might make this with Brawl - in mind, since items are also dark.... you can't tell a pokeball from a smart bomb.

The resemblence is really similar. Anyway what are you working on next after Boggly Woods
Planet Wisp is priority since its long overdue.

Afterwards Gloam Valley since I have some HD textures to apply. (Side Project)

Then begin with Hill Top Zone (Main Project)

And next goes Mute Story [Yoshi Story cross Mute City] (Side Project)

This is gonna be my pattern, I cannot accept more requests since my list if full of promises already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, Wisp.
00000000-8.png

Its nearing completion.

Current Size: 2.40MB

Stage now has a non painful brightness, flicker textures were redone using the smash 3 method, the light is animated.

I just need one more thing and this stage is complete.

Have an b4 an after.

Edit: Still slightly adjusting lights

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I broke a thing:

JK.

B4

After

Hmmmmmmmm. Yessssssss very goooooddddddd...... I was looking at the DKCR silhouette levels and I realized that it cant be made to resemble it exactly as the characters have some color on them.

Regardless, Super Mario 3D World dark levels were also extremely fun.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Im back, Im a bit behind on Life, so here it goes:
1. Planet Wisp v2: Custom and PM green hill ver.
2. The Omega and Pm version of the Kirby Stage.
3. Hill Top Zone: Omega, Custom, PM and Hazard Mode.
4. Reserved for @Taiko
5. NES controler: Just the NES version.
6. Nutty Moon: Custom, PM, Omega and big/casual
7. Club Wario feat. DJ Metal: PM Version only... Can't do casual
8. Competitive Super Mario Land 1-1
9. Remastered Bomb-Omb Battlefield
10. Terminal Velocity: Hazard and Omega only
11. Smash 3: Pokemon Stadium
12. Fully Custom FD... hopefully I can make it feel like this. Clethic or Viking like maybe.
13. Update all of my stages
14. Seven Blades: Shadow
15. -???- Casual and Balanced
16. TF2 community project and Source Fillmaker.
K guys, lets talk for a sec.

Not so long ago, a 2 weeks ago, it came to my realization that stage making has grown... rather limiting lately. Even the smallest and tiniest thing done wrong could render the stage not working with Wii anymore. And as much as I like challenge, I feel like Im going backwards....

The lack of information of what things do, the fact that Im working on the grey area of modding and PM getting more and more custom stages on the plate makes me feel like... its too late. And tbh, the modding community doesn't back each other up. Tutorials are outdated, and the pro seem to keep any new discovery to themselves, or any knowledge for that matter. Now please, Im not shooting bullets here, I just feel this way. And Im not saying that everyone on the modding community is selfish with their experience, a group of these... like Theytah, Mewtwo2000, KTH and Legacy teached me alot about stage making, but everything else I had to learn by myself. I understand that the rest have lives or other better things to do, but it is a shame that the knowledge is private. When these pro leave, what will happen to the knowledge?

I tried to compensate to this, I wanted to stand forwards and be a teacher, writing tutorials here and there to help keep the community alive... but Im not a pro, and no matter what people say, Im not a pro; I don't know the most important parts of stage making, I don't know how to work with fogs, lights and even specs. I don't know casual, I can't make hazards, and there is always a error, always a defect, that due to my lack of knowledge I can't fix these. I always bootleg myself out of the issue because I can't figure out what to do... but then these bootlegs make everything worst. Its just... frustrating.

Now, why am I still here? Simple, promises. I counted my chickens before they hatched.

The reason I started brawl modding was not for brawl, but for TF2. Unlike Nintendo, Valve fully supports mods and community made content to an extent that the company released their tools to the public, have their devs write the tutorials and now even pay for well done mods and include them on the game itself... and every time the item is bought, the creator receives money for it. This, this makes everything easier, and the limits of what can be done are far greater than what the Wii can handle. When I started Brawl Hacking, my computer could not handle TF2, so I started with brawl as a "temporary passtime", once I got the computer, I was still brawl hacking because I found it fascinating. But now, I wanna move on.

I wanna apply what I learned to TF2, the texturing and map making, and what makes a map "feel right".

What Im saying is, I wanna quit. I really have ideas bottled up, and I need to put them in action.

So........ here's my final to-so list:

1. Planet Wisp (One version)
2. Hill Top Zone
3. Nutty Moon
4. Finish what I have to do for smash 3
5. Quit Brawl Hacking and move on

I am eternally grateful for you guys, that unlike KCMM, you all did your best to keep me hyped to do more, and reminding me that I wasn't wasting my time, that my stuff was good, that it was worth it... and Im sorry that I have to break the promises. But its time for me, myself, to be selfish for once and do what I truly, and deep down truly, wanna do.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I've enjoyed working with you and I'm glad you taught me what little that you knew. Best of luck out there, scout

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

Not so long ago, a 2 weeks ago, it came to my realization that stage making has grown... rather limiting lately. Even the smallest and tiniest thing done wrong could render the stage not working with Wii anymore. And as much as I like challenge, I feel like Im going backwards....

The lack of information of what things do, the fact that Im working on the grey area of modding and PM getting more and more custom stages on the plate makes me feel like... its too late. And tbh, the modding community doesn't back each other up. Tutorials are outdated, and the pro seem to keep any new discovery to themselves, or any knowledge for that matter. Now please, Im not shooting bullets here, I just feel this way. And Im not saying that everyone on the modding community is selfish with their experience, a group of these... like Theytah, Mewtwo2000, KTH and Legacy teached me alot about stage making, but everything else I had to learn by myself. I understand that the rest have lives or other better things to do, but it is a shame that the knowledge is private. When these pro leave, what will happen to the knowledge?

I tried to compensate to this, I wanted to stand forwards and be a teacher, writing tutorials here and there to help keep the community alive... but Im not a pro, and no matter what people say, Im not a pro; I don't know the most important parts of stage making, I don't know how to work with fogs, lights and even specs. I don't know casual, I can't make hazards, and there is always a error, always a defect, that due to my lack of knowledge I can't fix these. I always bootleg myself out of the issue because I can't figure out what to do... but then these bootlegs make everything worst. Its just... frustrating.

Now, why am I still here? Simple, promises. I counted my chickens before they hatched.

The reason I started brawl modding was not for brawl, but for TF2. Unlike Nintendo, Valve fully supports mods and community made content to an extent that the company released their tools to the public, have their devs write the tutorials and now even pay for well done mods and include them on the game itself... and every time the item is bought, the creator receives money for it. This, this makes everything easier, and the limits of what can be done are far greater than what the Wii can handle. When I started Brawl Hacking, my computer could not handle TF2, so I started with brawl as a "temporary passtime", once I got the computer, I was still brawl hacking because I found it fascinating. But now, I wanna move on.

I wanna apply what I learned to TF2, the texturing and map making, and what makes a map "feel right".

What Im saying is, I wanna quit. I really have ideas bottled up, and I need to put them in action.

2. Hill Top Zone
3. Nutty Moon

I am eternally grateful for you guys, that unlike KCMM, you all did your best to keep me hyped to do more, and reminding me that I wasn't wasting my time, that my stuff was good, that it was worth it... and Im sorry that I have to break the promises. But its time for me, myself, to be selfish for once and do what I truly, and deep down truly, wanna do.
Ooh! As an avid Source Filmmaker-maker, now I'm REALLY excited! Haha!

Cahalan

Smash Ace

2. Hill Top Zone
3. Nutty Moon

Sad to see you leave the Brawl Modding scene, but at the same time, I'm excited to see what you'll come up with in TF2 modding.
Best of luck in the future!

McMarth

Smash Cadet
I was really bummed to read that, but it makes total sense. Thank you for everything you've done. And best of luck to you in your future pursuits, Scout. :)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Are you still gonna use mods and stuff or are you leaving the SSB modding community altogether?
After those 3 stages, I'll stop modding and probably stop using them as well. I'll hang out on these and the social threads, and still answer whatever question I can.
I'll also maintain myself as a Brawl Vault Staff just to see how everything is going.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
After those 3 stages, I'll stop modding and probably stop using them as well. I'll hang out on these and the social threads, and still answer whatever question I can.
I'll also maintain myself as a Brawl Vault Staff just to see how everything is going.
Will you ever convert your stages (or any Smash stage) to the Source Engine?

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
Sad to see you go Scout, I loved ur work from Gameland to Toy Time Galaxy to Planet Wisp and now Boggly Woods. Ur stages have been amazing to me. They feel like stages that sakurai could of made if he made dlc for brawl and I really appericiate that. I'm so glad ur still planning to make Nutty Noon it makes me happy to see a talented stage maker like you fulfilling one of my most wanted stages to be in smash 4 but never made it.

Mewphelis

Smash Apprentice
I guess that all (or at least some) good things must come to an end. It's been a fun journey watching you make tons of progress, make beautiful stages and work on one of my favorite projects ever (Smash 3). I'm seriously close to crying now! Btw I think it'd be fitting if you put this on the OP. I almost forgot, I know that's your FINAL :( to-do list but in Boggly Woods it's really easy to go under the stage. Also I saw that some or most of the names don't look exactly like PM, so I'm making some names by taking parts from other names and making one name. I'll post them here when I'm done with them all.

Attachments

Last edited:

Arkhamael

Smash Apprentice
God damn... Well, I do wish you the best of luck on your endeavors and am really glad to have played your mods and /will/ continue to play them.

You my boy, Scout/Edel

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Currently learning how to work with lights and play with their settings. Baby steps!
Right click on a light, enable volumetric or something like that. That's the most fun one.

Right click on a TF2 player model, go to rig, and do "rig_biped_simple", it's simple, easy, and beautiful.
Made this a long time ago... I miss TF2.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Right click on a light, enable volumetric or something like that. That's the most fun one.

Right click on a TF2 player model, go to rig, and do "rig_biped_simple", it's simple, easy, and beautiful.
Made this a long time ago... I miss TF2.
That is extremely accurate lol I must try that out!

I made two more sfm's while trying to get the lights right:
Final Battle of The Blood Moon War IMG.png Scout Request img.png

I think I should stop posting these before the guys with the red text names points out how off thread/ website this is lol

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That is extremely accurate lol I must try that out!

I made two more sfm's while trying to get the lights right:
View attachment 56225 View attachment 56226

I think I should stop posting these before the guys with the red text names points out how off thread/ website this is lol
Eh, I don't think it's off topic, this thread's always been about YOU.

Though it might be more on topic once you start porting your maps to the Source Engine, eh? Eh?
Hahaha, as you can tell, I'm a bit map-desperate.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Eh, I don't think it's off topic, this thread's always been about YOU.

Though it might be more on topic once you start porting your maps to the Source Engine, eh? Eh?
Hahaha, as you can tell, I'm a bit map-desperate.
Atm, I've acquired all the tools and all the tutorials I need to begin TF2 modding. I do need a teacher for SFM, a guy that can help me with some tips and tricks. Could you add me on steam? I would like some tips on facial expressions.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Atm, I've acquired all the tools and all the tutorials I need to begin TF2 modding. I do need a teacher for SFM, a guy that can help me with some tips and tricks. Could you add me on steam? I would like some tips on facial expressions.
Oh, pffft, that's easy, the sliders on the left below "jitter", "smooth", and stuff. There's also a left and right option allowing you to only change half of an expression. That, corresponding with the graph editor, makes manual lip sync really fun! There are lots of "Edels" on Steam, didn't know which one you were, but there's only one "Nefnoj", might be easier for you to add me, haha. I'm assuming you did Valves tutorials? Jimer Lins has a lot of good YouTube tutorials, some of them are complicated, but they all take you step-by-step assuming you know nothing, which is REALLY helpful for someone like me who may have skipped a tutorial or two, haha.

Top Bottom