• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Uhh, all these movesets to comment on.

I'll get to it.

Maybe.

Sloth is excellent, I HATE the character, but there are some very interesting attacks in there, namely the Steel Whirlwind and a few others I forget. :p

I'm stealing your method of stats by the way. :p

EDIT: Straked, I'm doing a moveset for both Calvin and Hobbes at some point, but yours is drastically different from mine, so it doesn't matter. Just thought I'd say. Yours is going nicely, by the way. You had the same idea for a FS as me, but that's alright. I'll think of another. :p
I had this same set planned from MYM 5, but I never did start on it. :laugh: I was talking to Ocon about this awhile ago, and he liked the idea.

I'm glad you're taking interest in a C&H set. I'm actually using Stupendous Man as an assist trophy, so I really hope you weren't thinking of that. :p

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
Hey guys! To all the new members, welcome to MYM6 and enjoy your stay! To everyone else: I've been busy preparing for camp (packing, shopping, spending time with friends, etc.), so I haven't had a chance to read any of the sets in detail. I will, however, offer my initial thoughts on each set.

Tryclyde is typical BKupa fare - insanely creative attacks, lots of props, and overly-detailed move descriptions that would make Warlord cry. However, in this case, it seems as if you've juked up everything: everything's really creative and interesting, but the writing is so cluttered it's hard to see what you're really getting at. Nice job, anyhow.

Heatran and Roserade both suffer from generic attacks and sloppy organization (the latter in particular). However, they both show promise, so I look forward to what you guys have to offer later on in the contest. By the way, sorry that sounded too harsh; I'm normally MUCH nicer. :)

Envy and Sloth are both MASSIVE improvements over all of your MYM5 sets, IMO, Warlord. Yes, even Alphonse (who I'm sure you know that I was never particularly fond of). Envy, especially, is an amazing improvement over his previous rendition, although I do miss the transformation OHKO Final Smash. And I finally get to see my namesake in set form! I like him a lot, although I think it's kind of ironic that the tall skinny kid who weighs less than 130 lbs. is named for this massive fatass. XD

Hobbes, I really wanted to like (C&H is my favorite comic strip EVAR), but...I couldn't find a single interesting attack in the bunch. They were all generic swipes/bites/tail swings. However, your organization is very good, which, combined with unique attacks, would make any of your sets very good. I look forward to seeing you improve over the course of MYM6.

Thrall definitely improved upon Arthas' building mechanic, and is so far your best moveset I've seen, Chris. Although it makes me feel a little bad because I'm making Tyrande, but she's not permanently mounted like the rest of the Warcraft characters I've seen (she CAN mount Ash'alal, but it's just an extra feature).
And, just so you know, I can still feel your bitterness emenating from the little blurb at the end. ;-)

Junahu

Smash Ace
It's not like he got the idea from any other moveset...

Sloth: This is the kind of moveset I like to see, and the reason I complained about Envy's mess of ideas before. Sloth has but a few ideas, but they are all fully explored and so neatly interwoven into eachother that the seams are impossible to spot. The organisation, particularly your choice of highlighting is also something that should be applauded.

I must, however, give you a huge thumbs down for that "Final Smash" and I'm sure you already know why. (even though a lazy Final Smash kind of suits Sloth)

Ahh! Your extras are shrinking! Don't give in to the "no-fun" movement!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I know, looking back, I'm not very satisfied with the end result. But I'm fixing all the really, really bad moves. So far, I've only came up with a croquet mallet in place of Ftilt.

Thoughts?

And seriously, thanks for the honest critique. I'll get right on those new moves.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Ah man, loving some of the sets so far. They're all pretty detailed, but several I don't want to look at: (Envy, Sloth, Lelouch) because I am watching or am going to watch those shows... Man though, I'm already thinking I don't have a chance at Top 50.

Daroach is almost done, I just need to go back and balance some of his moves out, and come up with a more inspired bair than the boring one I have right now. He'll probably be up in a day or two. He's definitely left the generic move zone that Magmortar was stuck in, but he's not quite done yet.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Sloth:

Oh God, so one page after the epic Thrall set I have to read THIS work of art? I'm feeling extremley demotivated for MYM6 right now xD

I'm very glad you retooled the sleeping mecahnic, this version sounds MUCH more fun to play while also somewhat more strategic since you can consider simply standing still or you can risk being vulnerable while napping. Good stuff.

For a guy who just uses brute strength and some chains, the individual moves were all pretty cool, especially when you saw the myriad of ways they were all inter-connected. No move in that set could truly function without the others, making the moveset feel like a whole picture that is "Sloth" and not just a bunch of moves that happen to share a similar theme. My favorite attacks were the USmash (gee, I wonder why xD) and the Fthrow.

Speaking of move interactions, Sloth had a really cool playstyle for what would probably be a generic heavy-hitter if Sakurai made him. I'd totally abuse chaining myself to my own boulders and using side-special into a tomb, fun stuff.

So he counters MK, but is countered by Snake and is ***** by Dedede. If the MYM character matchups are any indication, he'd still manage to land an easy high-tier spot despite his fail D3 matchup, so he's in the ideal spot for me.

Like Thrall, this is a set that I feel will be difficult to surpass despite being posted so early in MYM6. I have yet to read (and review) Envy so for all I know I may end up liking the transforming Homunculous better, but I can say with certainty that Sloth is an epic set that is worthy of being placed alongside Ryuk and Al.

edit: @darth meanie, there aren't any spoilers in the Sloth set unless you count him sleeping as a spoiler xD

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
There are no spoilers in Sloth, Darthmeanie. This is manga sloth, who is completely unimportant to the plot of the manga (and irrelevant to the show).

And I would like to know what Tanookie meant by that spoiler message at the end of his comment on Thrall.

ShoryuRasen

Smash Rookie
Sorry to the vets about my timing, but:

MYM Link-Up Space-The Dragon's Den

Finished sets:
None! :(

Planned sets:
MythBusters: Right now, most people would wonder, "What is this set about, and why is it so crazy?" To me, it's quite simple: it's about harnessing all the craziness that happens on MythBusters, and dumping it into all of the attacks. Baiting and punishing is this set's goal in Smash, especially with neutral B doing the punishing!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Sloth, I have to say, is my favorite of your's, MW. You captured the very essence of Sloth and packed him into this set. The chains, sleeping... everything.

The stat images look a little better here than in Envy, but still ugly as ****. :p

EDIT: Welcome to MYM, ShoryuRasen. It's nice to see a newcomer, and especially someone starting off in MYM. I look forward to your Mythbuster's set.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Arthas Thrall: Since you were so kind to point out the inspiration behind Thrall, that makes it so much easier to in turn point out the obvious. This is, blow-for-blow, a "more more more" remake of Arthas, regardless of how many times you demonstrate how they are in fact different.
This alone isn't a bad thing at all, the idea is solid and the improvements are clear; but Thrall has so much more that needed to be explained that the organisation and pacing you've employed here is almost criminal. Thralls attacks and the special mechanic are on completely seperate planets here, if your moveset is to be believed.
It all just felt.. fragmented, like you believed the reader would care enough about the moveset to piece it together themselves without your help.

It also doesn't help that you often describe the actual important parts of a move after you've made us sit through the stuffy details. And that methodology is carried through to the special mechanics, denying the reader even the most tentative understanding of what Thrall is about until after they read the attacks.

And this is clearly just degenerating into a rant, which was not my intention. The moves themselves, along with the special mechanics are both clever and perfectly suited to the character.

I'm just annoyed that the one thing you really should have improved over Arthas, readability, ended up worse than its forebear.
Wow.... just... wow. You rant for 2 paragraphs about something as petty as organization and spend all of one sentence describing your opinions on the actual moves. Frankly, I expected better from someone in a leadership position.

To quote MasterWarlord: "2 paragraphs of ranting on organization.... btw great moveset."

Your commentary makes me question whether you have even read the set. There is only one "shared" move between Thrall and Arthas. Even the mechanic is only an inspired idea. Rather than just "more more more" it was actually completely rebuffed and improved. To even consider Thrall and Arthas too similar like you have is just..... wow.

How you could even knock my organization is beyond me. This is the same exact organization that I use for every set. Do you know what I use this organization? Because it is simple. It is easy. And it works. As for piecing it together, did you really have a hard time knowing that the mechanics detail was to be connected to the Down Special? That should be a no-brainer. If I had placed this stuff inside the Down Special, that would have been just criminal. It would have looked absolutely horrible and the entire moveset would have been impossible to read as a result.

I can take criticism, but when the criticism sounds completely unintelligent, it gets on my nerves. And this really surprises me, coming from one I've often looked upon as being among the most intelligent MYM'ers.

But enough on that, let me give my thoughts on Sloth so this post isn't just me giving a ******** rant in response to a ******** rant.

Sloth​

Envy was certainly an amazing set, but Sloth is much, much better, despite having seemingly less potential. If Sloth is the MYM6 Gluttony of your homonculus sets, then it certainly shows just how much you have stepped up your game.

In this set, there are plenty of moves to like- almost every move actually. The chains were so well and cleverly implemented despite being such a simple concept. The connections between the Neutral A, F-Tilt, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air, Up Smash, Down Smash, and Down Special are absolutely incredible.

Basically, I simply love this set. There is simply so much creativity despite such seemingly low potential. My favorite moves of all were the Forward Smash, Up Smash, and Down Special... though there were simply many many things to like about this moveset.

So this is basically the embodiment of an excellent moveset- creativity, detail, organization, and a good writing style. Other than a couple of somewhat generic moves (Down Tilt being the most noticeable), you have yourself a set that could surpass Alphonse and Ryuk.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alright, as it stands now, I have all the requirements needed.

I'll be updating with misc. info and extras throughout the week. And I'll be swapping out the more boring moves for better ones. The only thing I'm truly satisfied with is the specials.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
since I have all the needed parts on my submission, but as stated in the reviews need more information, I will be giving more vivid descriptions of the techniques starting tomorrow(since it's almost time for me to go to bed now).

Smady

Smash Master
Hobbes: I saw you had updated it to completion, figured I may as well give an in-depth comment as it’s not at all long.

The playstyle being at the front of the moveset is an interesting concept. Before the reader even gets into the moves, we see how Hobbes plays, which I’m sure Junahu would equate to giving a preview of a completed puzzle then the pieces. As far as playstyles go, it’s good for a newcomer, but it is far too vague to be up there with the best of us – I like how you split it up into three pieces, but each is somewhat generic. It doesn’t seem very Hobbes-specific, though it is still good for a newcomer [most don’t even write these].

Moving onto your statistics for a second, I like how you used colour here, but I find it odd that one of the ‘8’ ratings is sea green and the higher ones lime; doesn’t look right. Obviously not much to speak of here with statistics, but it feels as though one does know a lot about Hobbes already. Going back and doing the statistics is a unique concept, it works well here.

Onto your moves, they are all under detailed, but your layout and organisation stands firm still. Again, we see moves that, while may work into a good playstyle, do not seem Hobbes-specific and aren’t very exciting. Secondly on the moves, they do seem a tad random: dropkicks, paw swipes, pounces, Hobbes seems to play just like any boring animal character might and it doesn’t all mesh well into the playstyle like it should. I’m also not so sure I like the moves in each section – get-up attacks with dash and neutral A is an oddity. Yeah, the layout is unusual in a lot of ways, but to be fair, it never becomes a bore (at least by this point in my writing). These comments go to all your non-specials, as they do seem somewhat rushed in comparison. You also missed a smash here, so it’s not completely done.

Back to specials and I see some images and better moves right off the bat. The neutral special is not very original, but the snowman mechanic is. It is fitting for Hobbes, too! Down special is weird – where’re the detail on the properties of each balloon? I think you can see my problem here and with some of your briefest moves, there needs to be more than a basic explanation. Up special is equally weird; it doesn’t even seem in character. Side special is the same; it’s too short and needs more specific detail. You need to make comparisons to Smash on a lot of these to really give an inkling of understanding for the reader on what these moves actually do. The damage percents are the first step.

The final smash is probably the best move in the set. It’s certainly longer, but again, you need to explain in further detail how some of this stuff works, like the volleyballs for example.

In all, I’m not surprised by this moveset’s shortcomings. You’re new, so it’s forgivable – take note of what others and I have said to improve. There are plenty of good things about this set as well, like the pretty organisation, the unique layout, though in hindsight, the playstyle’s positioning doesn’t matter, as it’s not descriptive enough to be warranted. Generally, most if not all of your moves seem random and don’t come together to a playstyle, so although I congratulate you on having one at all, it wasn’t needed. Thanks for the set nonetheless, it’s always fun to read good newcomer movesets.

Sloth: I spoke too soon when I labelled Envy your best homunculi, Sloth is by far the best. He actually may be one of your best movesets. The laziness mechanic is extremely fitting and well done, great work on that. In fact, the entire set seems more condensed and brilliant than most of your other sets, perhaps up to the level of Alphonse. I’m impressed. The implementation of the chains and how Sloth plays is exquisite; it’s very tailored for him indeed. This is all backed up by your awesome match-up section and playstyle.

What I really like, though, is your writing style. You highlight helpful parts of every move with bold and / or red, which makes reading it far easier, which is missing in Envy’s moveset. Your use of colour and organisation is superb as well.

You’ve set a very high standard, Walrod.

Baloo

Smash Ace
I had this same set planned from MYM 5, but I never did start on it. :laugh: I was talking to Ocon about this awhile ago, and he liked the idea.

I'm glad you're taking interest in a C&H set. I'm actually using Stupendous Man as an assist trophy, so I really hope you weren't thinking of that. :p
Nope, he's the up special.:)

Thrall: This is a good moveset.

My commentary remains as good as it always was.

EDIT: Oh fin,e I'll comment more on it. It's a good set, yes. It's detailed, it's original, it's cool. I especially liked the down smash and special.

There. Now it's not gnawing at my conscience.

I'd also like to announce that I will be doing a very Junahu like moveset design thing: A moveset entirely in Artpad.

Link to Artpad.com: http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
UPDATE: I Modified my Masked Man entry, so now his A attacks, aerials and grabs have better descriptions, and added a summary explaining MM's fighting style.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I'm boycotting Sloth because it has Specials last. What the hell are you thinking???

Also because some of his attacks are randomly all bolded. WHY?

I read Thrall, though, and I'll tell you, it's a pretty great set. I love how the actual units are the ones supporting one another this time around, leaving Thrall to actually have his own offensive moveset - IIRC, Arthas's set was mostly based around manipulating his units, leaving him with little room for his own attacks. Few of them are generic and most of them are pretty dang unique. The building mechanic seems a bit more intuitive and, of course, true to the game - the moveset didn't knock me off my feet like Arthas did, but that's only because I was somewhat expecting it, not because its quality isn't all that Arthas was and more.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Roserade: I really like this set....but it does seem a little broken at a glance. The stats are broken, as 10 is Sonic, and she's faster than that. Though you may consider Sonic to be much farther up, so meh. Everything Soars except for power and the fact that she can't take a hit at all. I like the abilities, both the enhancers and the hampers. It makes for a great balancing factor. However, none of these really make or break her moveset, unlike they would if....well, pretty much any esteemed member of MYM had created it. I like that, though. They help her/hinder her, but the moveset doesn't revolve around them. It's like a mechanic that DOESN'T force you to memorize 75 lines of text to actually be able to play the character. MW, that's to you >_>
All right, to start off, I'll address the speed issue. If Sonic is a 10, then what does that make every other character? The closest anyone would come would be a 5, maybe a 6.

The fact that her stats are great except for her strength and defense is that without having great stats in the other categories, she'd be utterly screwed. With a body frame as light as that, if she gets hit by practically anything at maybe 50%, she's most likely not going to survive, even on larger stages. It's like playing with the damage ratio raised. Still, I do see what you mean, and I guess I should drop some stats at least a little.

There is one mechanic that her moveset does kinda revolve around: the poison. Your best bet when playing as Roserade is to try to poison the opponent as quickly as possible, then play a game of camping using her Toxic Spikes and large range to keep them at bay until their damage is high enough for her weak attacks to manage some decent knockback.

Evilgidgit

Smash Apprentice
All of these movesets are so awesome as expected.:chuckle:

I hope to do several this time - including one original character and possibly Optimus Prime.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
ROSERADE: Also, your method of organization is... interesting, but a bit bothersome at times.
Bothersome? How so?
And yes, it is against the rules to repost sets, leafbarrett. Personally, I would let this slide this one time seeing as you are a newcomer, but just edit changes into the old post and announce the changes in a new post if you want changes to your set to be known.
All right, understood. Sorry about that.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

SHRAEVE

<OVERVIEW>

Shraeve hails from the Godless World trilogy by Brian Ruckley. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of her, but I'll describe her as best I can.

Shraeve is a Battle Inkallim, an elite warrior class in the bloods of the Black Road. The Black Road is a creed, first started in 922 by Amanath the Fisherwoman, and outlawed soon after by the Bloods. In 939 the Thane of the Gyre Blood, Avann oc Gyre-Kilkry adopted the creed, which essentially stated that fate rules over anything else, and that one man or a group of men could never shape the world by themselves. In 940, the Kilkry Bloods started a civil war, with the Gyre Bloods, and all the Bloods under them (Wyn, Fane, Gaven, and Horin) fighting against the True Bloods (Haig, Kilkry, Lannis, Taral, and Ayth).

After their banishment following the loss of the battle in Kan Avor, in the year 942, the Black Road was banished to North of the Stone Vale, and the Inkallim were formed 3 years later. The 3 parts of the Inkall are the Hunt, which specializes in tracking, stealth, and cunning, the Lore, which could be aptly described as seers, and the Battle, who are bred for fighting. The Battle adopted the name "Children of the Hundred," after the 100 famous men and women who deterred the True Bloods from snuffing out the Black Road completely, south of the Stone Vale. These Battle Inkallim are the best of the best when it comes to Black Road warriors. They die their hair black for battle, and thus are also called Ravens, by friend and foe alike. Trained from the time they can walk, they are practically killing machines, and Shraeve happens to be one of the best.

Shraeve starts the first book as a commander of a group of Battle Inkall, and we first encounter her in the city of Kolglas, where she and her Ravens disguise themselves as a group of jugglers and other entertainers. Once inside the castle, they shed their colorful clothing and reveal their true identities; cold blooded murderers from the North. Shraeve and her Ravens wreak havoc in the castle, killing all save the handful lucky enough to escape.

But that is only the beginning. Shraeve joins the army of Horin warriors from the North, and soon they've practically destroyed all of the Lannis territory, and much of the Kilkry land as well. Warriors from the other Black Road Bloods descend from the North, and a full scale war starts.

Shraeve soon is at the middle of the war, fighting alongside the most powerful being in the world, Aeglyss. Aeglyss is a na'kyrim, a magician per sé, who has the ability to kill almost any being in the world by accessing their minds through a dimension called the Shared, where all na'kyrim and humans essentially draw power from. Shraeve becomes Banner Captain of the Battle Inkallim, giving her power over all of the Ravens in the field.

Fate brought Shraeve up through the ranks, and now fate has brought her here, to challenge a different kind of warriors...

<Stats>

<Weapons>

The Battle Inkallim fight with whatever weapons they personally like the most, ranging from lances, to sword and shield, to axes, and beyond. Shraeve's weapon, err, weapons of choice are two semi-long knives. She straps these to her back, and whips them out when they are needed. One is slightly longer than the other, though both knives are about 14 or 15 inches long.

Here a decent example of what one might look like, with the other being slightly longer, but of the same style.

<Stats>

The overview is finished for now, I may add more later.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
It looks great. With most movesets, people name every attack, and a few attacks are still kind of generic. As far as detail goes, most attacks appear to suffice, and you seem to have went the extra mile with extras (c wut i did thar?), including things like Star KO noise, statuses caused by items, and the like.

Overall, a fair moveset.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Sloth:

Oh God, so one page after the epic Thrall set I have to read THIS work of art? I'm feeling extremley demotivated for MYM6 right now xD

I'm very glad you retooled the sleeping mecahnic, this version sounds MUCH more fun to play while also somewhat more strategic since you can consider simply standing still or you can risk being vulnerable while napping. Good stuff.

For a guy who just uses brute strength and some chains, the individual moves were all pretty cool, especially when you saw the myriad of ways they were all inter-connected. No move in that set could truly function without the others, making the moveset feel like a whole picture that is "Sloth" and not just a bunch of moves that happen to share a similar theme. My favorite attacks were the USmash (gee, I wonder why xD) and the Fthrow.

Speaking of move interactions, Sloth had a really cool playstyle for what would probably be a generic heavy-hitter if Sakurai made him. I'd totally abuse chaining myself to my own boulders and using side-special into a tomb, fun stuff.

So he counters MK, but is countered by Snake and is ***** by Dedede. If the MYM character matchups are any indication, he'd still manage to land an easy high-tier spot despite his fail D3 matchup, so he's in the ideal spot for me.

Like Thrall, this is a set that I feel will be difficult to surpass despite being posted so early in MYM6. I have yet to read (and review) Envy so for all I know I may end up liking the transforming Homunculous better, but I can say with certainty that Sloth is an epic set that is worthy of being placed alongside Ryuk and Al.

edit: @darth meanie, there aren't any spoilers in the Sloth set unless you count him sleeping as a spoiler xD
Heheh, yeah, this turned out a lot better then expected. I'm just glad Ocon previewed it and told me how awkward and unplayble the old mechanic was. . .Sloth is much more functional/playable this way.

Sloth has a lot of move interactions, albeit a large amount of them of them are linked to the ftilt/fair, so it could possibly be considered more of a mechanic. This moveset without a doubt wouldn't of been posible if Sloth didn't have the chains. . .But I didn't think I would squeeze nearly so much potential out of them.

Worthy of being placed alongside Al and Ryuk? Hell yes.

It's not like he got the idea from any other moveset...
Indeed. But it seems to be a really big love/hate thing though. Perhaps if I got rid of those ugly white lines linking the characters together?

Sloth: This is the kind of moveset I like to see, and the reason I complained about Envy's mess of ideas before. Sloth has but a few ideas, but they are all fully explored and so neatly interwoven into eachother that the seams are impossible to spot. The organisation, particularly your choice of highlighting is also something that should be applauded.

I must, however, give you a huge thumbs down for that "Final Smash" and I'm sure you already know why. (even though a lazy Final Smash kind of suits Sloth)

Ahh! Your extras are shrinking! Don't give in to the "no-fun" movement!
I agree that Envy was a good bit too random which is what makes me feel a lot more satisfied with Sloth in that he seems actually playable. . .Then again, I'd probably main him if he was in (Based off his playstyle, not the character), so it's only natural he seems a lot more playable to me. I'm really trying to work on improving my organization/writing style recently. It was present in Envy, but Sloth got me feeling a lot more comfortable with it.

Yes, yes, I know. I would've loved to give him some big ultimate form for a final smash. . .If he had one. Honestly, there wasn't much potential left in the simple character after I'd squeezed so much out of him in the main moveset. . .Although I was considering replacing the neutral special in the final smash with something interesting and flashy, though to be quite honest I couldn't think of anything. Bah. After seeing Thrall's final smash, I'm not terribly worried about Sloth's being bad.

The no extras things was suppossed to be a joke based off the character it was for and to go with me working on readability/organization on this moveset. It was suppossed to help me score points with Rool. . .

Envy and Sloth are both MASSIVE improvements over all of your MYM5 sets, IMO, Warlord. Yes, even Alphonse (who I'm sure you know that I was never particularly fond of). Envy, especially, is an amazing improvement over his previous rendition, although I do miss the transformation OHKO Final Smash. And I finally get to see my namesake in set form! I like him a lot, although I think it's kind of ironic that the tall skinny kid who weighs less than 130 lbs. is named for this massive fatass. XD
Heheh, if you want, you could be named after the Anime Sloth, but then you'd be a chick, so yeah. Such great choices, eh? Anyway, Sloth is a lot more readable and less insanely complicated then Al, so you should hopefully like him when you go to give him a deeper read. Envy. . .Surprised you liked that one, actually, seeing he's also pretty d*mn complicated (Albeit more readable then the likes of Ryuk and Al and not as complicated as either of those two).

Sloth is excellent, I HATE the character, but there are some very interesting attacks in there, namely the Steel Whirlwind and a few others I forget. :p

I'm not sure if I'd recommend stealing the stats, seeing how many people seem to have a distaste for them. Anyway, glad you liked the set despite hating the character. Quite honestly, there's not much to like about him, seeing how deep and developed he is. . .Generic stupid strong characters ftw?

Sloth, I have to say, is my favorite of your's, MW. You captured the very essence of Sloth and packed him into this set. The chains, sleeping... everything.

The stat images look a little better here than in Envy, but still ugly as ****. :p
Your absolute favorite? Epic. And yes, I know the stat images are ugly. I'm still looking into methods of making them pretty so you all can stop crying about it.

Sloth​

Envy was certainly an amazing set, but Sloth is much, much better, despite having seemingly less potential. If Sloth is the MYM6 Gluttony of your homonculus sets, then it certainly shows just how much you have stepped up your game.

In this set, there are plenty of moves to like- almost every move actually. The chains were so well and cleverly implemented despite being such a simple concept. The connections between the Neutral A, F-Tilt, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air, Up Smash, Down Smash, and Down Special are absolutely incredible.

Basically, I simply love this set. There is simply so much creativity despite such seemingly low potential. My favorite moves of all were the Forward Smash, Up Smash, and Down Special... though there were simply many many things to like about this moveset.

So this is basically the embodiment of an excellent moveset- creativity, detail, organization, and a good writing style. Other than a couple of somewhat generic moves (Down Tilt being the most noticeable), you have yourself a set that could surpass Alphonse and Ryuk.
Honestly, I don't think that we can go all that much higher then the top contenders of MYM 5 anymore. We've begun to hit the roof in terms of how high our movesets can go. . .So if this is my MYM 6 Gluttony, then I'm somehow going to make a set that's going to blind us all with it's quality.

That said, glad you liked it. It's everything Al was, but less absurdly complicated and more readable. Envy admiteddly was a bit too random and tried to do too many things at once, particularly with those awkward grab aerials, but I'm certainly not ashamed of him lilke some of my MYM 5 sets, seeing he still has an actual playstyle.

Sloth: I spoke too soon when I labelled Envy your best homunculi, Sloth is by far the best. He actually may be one of your best movesets. The laziness mechanic is extremely fitting and well done, great work on that. In fact, the entire set seems more condensed and brilliant than most of your other sets, perhaps up to the level of Alphonse. I’m impressed. The implementation of the chains and how Sloth plays is exquisite; it’s very tailored for him indeed. This is all backed up by your awesome match-up section and playstyle.

What I really like, though, is your writing style. You highlight helpful parts of every move with bold and / or red, which makes reading it far easier, which is missing in Envy’s moveset. Your use of colour and organisation is superb as well.

You’ve set a very high standard, Walrod.
Alphonse wasn't nearly as condensed as he could be, hence why I couldn't get people like Rool and Junahu on board with him. That's the main thing Sloth has over my other sets while still keeping up to my other quality standards.

Finally some praise for the match ups! Considering hardly anybody else has done them besides myself yet, those could be counted as extras, couldn't they Junahu? Seriously though, more people need to do match ups.

(Yes I know Tryclyde, who I still need to read, has them. The fact that he has them is making me look forward to reading him considerably.)

I'm boycotting Sloth because it has Specials last. What the hell are you thinking???

Also because some of his attacks are randomly all bolded. WHY?
I made this set specifically with people like you in mind, Rool. You have to read it. If I listed the specials first, the down special wouldl have to be explained in the fair, making that move absurdly long. I hate specials last as much as you do, but the attack order here is absolutely necessary. If I -really- wanted to make specials first, I could've combined the ftilt and fair into a special, but I liked how both chains were controllable individually.

Fixed the bolded issue. Don't know how I missed that. Then again, nobody else but you gave a d*mn or even seemed to notice at all.

I should hope that the lack of extras would cancel out specials last, for you, but no. I could edit in the obligatory wall of FMA Extras from MYM 5 if that'd make you feel better. :cool:

THRALL
While Thrall has hordes upon hordes of insanely laggy moves to the point of making him on Ganondorf's level, his ftilt perfectly helps him get around the problem. . .A bit too well. The ftilt in combinatino with mass laggy powerful moves was a very interesting concept, easily the best aside from the main mechanic, I just worry for it's balance. Considering how much use the move would get, it'd probably make more sense as a special, albeit all the moves you already have as specials are very worthy of being specials, so it's unavoidable.

Now, the actual mechanic. While Thrall can't heal/absorb his minions like Arthas via Death coil/part, the mechanic is much more controllable, easily beating out those options. In particular, I loved how the neutral A allowed him to control his mindless units, an excellent addition indeed. It might help Thrall more if the arrow wasn't there for mindgames, but whatever floats your boat.

While I wanted to see a warlord with more actual control over his units then Arthas, I didn't think it would turn out so well and practical. Very impressive job, Chris. I also applaud you for coming up with some actual original effects and not just direct translations of what all the abilities do in WC to Smash, such as with the Spirit Walkers. Although on that topic. . .Having every move be a Warcraft ability, many of which have no relevance to Thrall, feels somewhat random in the same vein as having every move on Pokemon being random TMs. The fair is by far the worst case of this.

As far as other criticisms go, the final smash is awkwardly underwhelming. While it's fitting seeing it's Thrall's ultimate abillity in the game, it'd be good if you gave it some more interesting effects somehow, as there's gotta be something wrong with a final smash when it has the detail level of a situational.

You do repeat yourself a hell of a lot in the descriptions for the buildings and units when you could just quickly list the statistics for the buildings/units. . .I grasped the pattern and was able to skim through while getting the necessary information a lot faster and most who go out to read the set probably will too, but it does add a good bit to the tl;dr factor.

. . .And that's about it. While this didn't utterly blow Arthas out of the water like I was hoping it would, it's still without a doubt better, if only for how much more controllable the mechanic is. Thrall would be among the first characters (Aside from my own, of course. Wouldn't we all play our own characters?) I'd try in MYM Brawl.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was trying to really not overcomplicate things. Hobbes is a very, very physical based character. I was trying my best to give him some original ideas, but my detail is very lacking. It's not yet complete, since some of it's still under construction. I didn't even add assist trophies, alternate colors, and I've yet to even update some things.

I appreciate the honest criticism. I'll keep that in mind during future sets. Hobbes as he is now is still incomplete. I also didn't feel he needed any gimmicks, or ridiculous sets for regular attacks.

I'll go into greater detail, but I just tried to keep things concise.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Absolutely. :laugh: Already updated the Final Smash, but I forgot to go into greater detail about the Volleyballs.

I'm working on tilts this very second.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Chris Lionheart's reaction to my comment on Thrall
I apologise for the poorly worded comment. I did not intend to focus so exclusively on petty matters, but it happened anyway.
Everyone has their off-days. Let's just write this off as mine.

Smady

Smash Master
I don't wish to be Jun's knight in shining armour, as he's a grown boy, but he did have a point, Chris. You came a long way in MYM5 to restore your image as one of the best and most consistent MYMers, but your organisation does need some work. I'm willing to forgive in a case as extreme as yours, with all the massive work you put into your sets, but they could indeed be far prettier. I agree it doesn't merit an entire post or indeed be the centre of an argument about Thrall, but it is one of the few areas you could improve in.

Just looking at the Thrall moveset from a far back position, you are guilty of using the same fonts and that horrid lime green, for example. There doesn't seem to be a colour scheme, your B coding is quite basic and etcetera. It works, but it isn't great and I think this may be partly why it's not blowing Arthas out of the water. Just a little something to think about.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, MYM6 already? 0_0

And all of slugma's attacks have their basic ideas down, now I just need to get damage, extras, etc.

But the reason I've been so slow on this moveset is on account of me making 3 movesets at once. XD Slugma, Swellow, and Gastly. I bet you're all tired of the pokesets but I assure you these should be great as long as I keep getting good ideas. Really, the only thing I have trouble with is finalizing it all, and sticking with the moveset until it's 100% done.

I'm glad there's a sudden influx of new users, the best advice I can give is lurk, see what the standard is for movesets, you know. (But I shouldn't be giving advice, I'm a n00b myself....)

I've only read Sloth so far, really cool set.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Slugma? EPIC!

Trust me, there's gonna be a lot of poke-sets in MYM6 considering I'm involved with 2 joint-sets remniscent of the infamous Steven Stone of MYM5. xD

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Hey, hey, hey, don't forget about my Mr. Mime set!

*looks at SOLID's new avatar*

WRRYYYYY!?

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Yeah, okay, so I read Sloth. And yeah, it's a really really good set. WHAT OF IT?

...Seriously, though, I can see what you mean when you said you made it for people like me (and Junahu, I'd assume), and it's kind of curious that everyone's received it so warmly. He has a lot of mostly generic attacks, some of them downright dull, like that Up B. He's grossly imbalanced and has pretty light detail on many attacks. And yet... he's probably your best set yet. And that's saying something. This is the first of your sets I've really loved since Dimentio.

Let's get the bad out of the way first.

1) "Bear with me" is the preferred nomenclature, man. "Bare with me" means... something different altogether.

2) The set is SO imbalanced, I'm shocked no one's pointed it out yet. He has powerful throws, one of which can be chained; he can basically rack up over 20% at the start of the match. He has powerful disjointed hitboxes that hit from really far away. He can make himself immune to KOing for 15 seconds. His boulders are considerably stronger than Bonsly (who's already ridiculous if he connects), while also being bigger and in constant supply. Craziest of all, his Side B is a lagless, extremely powerful, long-range attack. It single-handedly breaks the game. How hard is it to rack up someone's damage to 65%? Then you just wait for the tiniest moment of lag on their part and you KO them. They can't even properly punish you in the five seconds of lag that follow! Please, enlighten me as to how this attack makes any sense, outside of thematically, and I admit it's pretty cool how he's incredibly quick but refuses to use it.

3) Some of the attacks really are dull. This is a complaint in one way, yeah, but on the other hand, it lends to ease of use, and is actually quite necessary considering how complex his chain mechanic can get at times.

4) SO FEW EXTRAS? WHAAAAAAT? Heh, I've conditioned you well. I've noticed a trend in your reviews of my movesets; you complain less and less about a lack of extras in each set I make. Much has changed since the days of MYM 3 - soon I'll be able to pull another Father Time and include none at all! AHAHAHAHAHAH!

Okay, so the last two weren't even really negative. The overall playstyle is so interconnected here it boggles the mind. Manipulating your chain is so incredibly intuitive - it goes exactly where you want it to - it's the kind of thing I'm trying to do in my upcoming Kangaskhan set (and I KNOW you're all excited for that), pulled off with such aplomb it makes me fear for my sets. You've reached a new level of creativity; I'm SO glad you started your little playstyle movement, even if, really, you're the only one who followed it who hadn't already or before.

I'm noticing something interesting, though; all your recent sets are trap-based characters who manipulate the stage and leave things behind. Actually, more and more of the top sets are like this. I'm starting to worry we're getting pigeonholed into complexity creep, where nothing can compete with the trap ideas yet unexplored. Hopefully I'll prove wrong.

Anyway, the point is I loved this set, mostly, and it actually makes me want to see what you could if you were to make the two remaining Sins (Pride and Greed are the only two left, right?); this guy's personality is so clear and the whole concept of these guys as villains is so awesome it almost makes me want to get into FMA.

[I can't, and won't, go there, but it's tempting.]

Junahu

Smash Ace
4) SO FEW EXTRAS? WHAAAAAAT? Heh, I've conditioned you well. I've noticed a trend in your reviews of my movesets; you complain less and less about a lack of extras in each set I make. Much has changed since the days of MYM 3 - soon I'll be able to pull another Father Time and include none at all! AHAHAHAHAHAH!
You're as cruel as your namesake... taking down MasterWarlord himself.
Fine, you've convinced me not to include an extras section in my next moveset.
And by that I mean the extras will be integrated into the moveset itself so you HAVE to read them

I'm noticing something interesting, though; all your recent sets are trap-based characters who manipulate the stage and leave things behind. Actually, more and more of the top sets are like this. I'm starting to worry we're getting pigeonholed into complexity creep, where nothing can compete with the trap ideas yet unexplored. Hopefully I'll prove wrong.
Trap characters are MYM's deus ex machina for creativity. And even though we have all these trap characters, the best trap character of all time STILL doesn't have a moveset.

Seriously, someone makes this, and we'll never see another trap character again.​

Baloo

Smash Ace
I don't see why anyone would dislike the stat system you used, it makes it much more realistic.

To a newcomer, The stat Like Jigglypuff is much more understandable than 5/10. Or priority especially. You can say 4/10,. but who knows what that is? Falco, however, and they know what you mean.

Frf, you're doing Gastly? So am I, but I'm sure mine will be different. Considering the entire set will look like this:

Jab

EDIT: That's a link, just so you know. ^

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Is everyone doing the same sets as Baloo? :p

I CALL KEVIN MCCALLISTER MOVESET.

Especially if Baloo was already planning to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom