• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 17: Next contest begins March the 24th; get your Iron MYM'er 1st day sets ready!

JOE!

Smash Hero
That lucario example is due to brawl letting you cancel momentum and bursting early

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Now for some actual comments:

@ ChaosKiwi ChaosKiwi , your Starman (the wrestler) moveset:
The Down Smash feels like wasted potential, to be honest. While a command grab that only works on a proned foe is interesting, you can't do anything out of Pinfall except have the foe take damage for multiple seconds at a time and then escape. It feels like you should have options out of a pin, but you don't. Instead of doing fun and painful things to the pinned foe, you just hold them for damage.

Also, moves that specifically force a foe into prone tend to be inferior to moves that knock a foe prone by Meteor Smashing or spiking them. Why? Because directly putting a foe into prone without the ground-bounce lets them immediately roll away with no delay! For an example of this, see Snake's DThrow in Brawl. It's great for tech-chasing, to be sure, but you aren't getting any free follow-ups off of it. And if a move knocks a foe prone via downward knockback, then the foe can instantly screw over your game plan simply by teching the hit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is something to consider. Though now that I think about it, there is a way around it: setting a foe directly into a prone state and immediately hitting them with locking knockback the same frame to cause a bounce.

I'm not sure Starman's DSmash will ever see use, actually. It's a unique and interesting move, but any time you can land a DSmash you can partially charge an FSmash for more damage. It takes half charge on a DSmash to even match the damage of an uncharged FSmash. And you can't charge the DSmash at all because it doesn't work if the foe isn't prone, and the only way you're getting time to charge the FSmash is by a standing reset.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
JUNK WARRIOR and Junk Synchron
These two Warriors have come from the Yugioh universe to fight in Super Smash Bros! They can transform into each other with their down special.
----Trashy Stats-Junk
WARRIOR----
Weight: DK
Speed: Zelda
Air Speed: Duck Hunt
Size: Ike
------Garbage Specials-----
Neutal B: Junk Blade
Junk Warrior performs a slashing combo with Junk Blader's blade. It hits up, then forwards, then up again, and deals 13% if all hits connect.

Custom 1: Fast Blade
The combo is faster, but only deals 9% damage if all hits connect.

Custom 2: Junk Fists
Junk Warrior launches Junk Anchor's fists forward. It deals 12% and explodes on contact.
----------
Side B: Gardna Shield
Junk Warrior uses Junk Gardna's shield. It reflects projectiles from the front.

Custom 1: Junk Drill
Junk Warrior borrows Junk Giant's drills and shoots them. The drills deal 10% and home in on enemies.

Custom 2: Junk Rush
Junk Warrior rushes forward to deliver a flurry of punches. They deal 2% each and there are 6 punches.
----------
Up B: Junk Upper
Junk Warrior delivers an uppercut that propels him upwards, about the height of 3 Stage Builder blocks. It deals 11% of damage.

Custom 1: High Upper
Junk Warrior travels 4 Stage builder blocks now, but deals no damage.

Custom 2: Junk Booster
Junk Warrior uses its boosters to fly higher. It works like ROB's Robo Burner, but lasts for 5 seconds.
--------
Down B: Synchro Devolution
Junk Warrior transforms into Junk Synchron.

Custom 1: Synchro Pulse
Junk Warrior lets out a pulse as it transforms into Junk Synchron. That pulse deals 5%.

Custom 2: Return To Hand
Junk Warrior returns to the hand. Junk Synchron is summoned, and for 5 seconds, Junk Warrior will appear as a silhouette copying Junk Synchron.
-----Trash Smashes----
Side Smash: Junk Dash
Junk Warrior pretends to dash. 10-22%.

Up Smash: Junk Kick
Junk Warrior kicks upwards. 9-19%.

Down Smash: Scrap-Iron Scarecrow
Junk Warrior shoots 2 Scrap-Iron Scarecrows in front of him. 11-21%.
------Aerial Trash-----
Nair: Draw Phase
4 Yugioh cards levitate around Junk Warrior. 5-10%.

Fair: Junk Slam
Junk Warrior pounds the air. It can meteor smash when he does the 'pounding' animation. 8-10%.

Bair: 6-Card Hand
A hand of Yugioh cards shoots out in front of Junk Warrior, and he turns around to see it. 6-9%, and it hits 6 times.

Uair: Junk Rotor
Junk Warrior flails his arms upwards. 7-11%.

Dair: Junk Turbo
Junk Warrior uses his boosters to rocket into the ground. This can break shields if all hits connect. 10-12%.
----Sc-rapyard Standards----
Jab: A punch, a punch, then a kick. Punches deal 2%, Kick deals 5%.

Ftilt: A kick. Deals 10%, but it's slow.

Utilt: A fast uppercut. Deals 8%.

Dtilt: A sweeping kick. Can hit people on the ledge. Deals 7%.

Dash Attack: Junk Warrior flies forwards with his boosters. 8% and comes out really fast.

Trip Attack: Junk Warrior kicks around itself. 6% each kick.

Ledge Attack: Junk Warrior jumps and punches. 10%.
----------PLAYSTYLE-----
Junk Warrior is a very heavy fighter. Make use of his smashes and Junk Blade to deal damage, and when you need to, transform into Junk Synchron. He is bad in the air, but not Little Mac bad, so you may want to keep your play style on the ground.
----Misc.----
Boxing Ring Title: The Sc-rapyard Sc-rapper!
Alternate Costumes:

Red(In his 3DS alt trophy,and fought during round 5/6 of wii u classic mode.)
Sky Blue and Dark Red
Yellow(in his Wii U alt trophy)

-----JUNK SYNCHRON----
---Trashy Stats---
Weight: Kirby
Speed: Captain Falcon
Air Speed: Villager
Size: Kirby
----Trashy Specials----
Neutral B: Junk Barrage
Junk Synchron shoots 5 pieces of junk at opponents. They deal 2% each.

Custom 1: Junk Field
The junk instead forms a field similar to Mega Man's Skull Barrier. However, it cannot be thrown.

Custom 2: Junksplosion
The junk explodes on contact with a foe. You have a 1-in-9 chance of shooting a Smart Bomb.
------
Side B: Junk Dash
Junk Synchron rushes forward to grab opponents, and then rocket them upwards, about 2 Stage builder blocks. It deals 10% of damage, and being a grab, goes through shields.

Custom 1: Fast Dash
The dash is faster, but you go lower. It deals 11% now.

Custom 2: Rocket Boost
The attack now only involves you rushing into opponents, but deals 13% of damage.
------
Up B: Junk Rocket
Junk Synchron rockets up into the air, dealing 8% to everyone that touches him, and he travels 4 Stage Builder blocks. After, he becomes helpless.

Custom 1: Junk Jump
Junk Synchron leaps really high in the air(5 Stage Builder blocks.)You can't use Junk Jump again after this, but you can use Aerials and the like.

Custom 2: Sonic Chick
A Sonic Chick is summoned and carries Junk Synchron in the air. It offers good vertical distance, but not so good horizontal distance.
----
Down B: Synchro Summon
Junk Synchron is tuned with either Ghostrick Witch,Speed Warrior, or Sweet Corn(doesn't matter, just for flavour) and transforms into Junk Warrior.

Custom 1: Synchro Boost
Junk Synchron is rocketed into the air before transforming into Junk Warrior.

Custom 2: Synchro Shield
Junk Synchron activates Negate Attack while transforming. When as Junk Warrior, projectiles will be reflected from you for 5 seconds.
------Stinky Smashes----
Side Smash: Junk Fist
Junk Synchron ponds the enemy. Comes out fast. 8-17%.

Up Smash: Junk Launch
Junk Synchron launches Junk Anchor's fist up into the air. 7-16%.

Down Smash: Junk Expel
Junk Synchron fires 2 flame shots from his boosters. They are quick, but deal 10-17%.
----Sub-Standards----
Jab: A combo of 2 punches that deal 2% each.

Ftilt: Junk Synchron shoots a piece of junk forwards. 4%.

Dtilt: Junk Synchron slidetackles. 5%, has a windbox on top of Synchron's leg.

Utilt: Junk Synchron headbutts an opponent. 5% and one of his main kill moves.

Ledge attack: Gets up and punches forward. 4%.

Trip Attack: Kicks to the side and gets up.
--------Misc.----
Boxing Ring Title: Tuned Up Warrior
Alt costumes:

Sea Green
Blue(used in WiiU all star trophy, and round 5/6 of wii u classic mode)
Red and Pink(used in 3ds allstar trophy)
------------
FINAL SMASH
Synchro Laser
The two warriors pretend to Synchro Summon, then a laser comes in from the side of the screen(If you look, It's just Majestic Stardust Dragon.) It deals 40% and high knockback.
-----Trivial Stuff----
Icon: A Yugioh Card
Victory Theme: A rock remix of the 5d's theme song.

Junk Warrior is the default, and Junk Synchron is the 4th costume.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
DORKSIDE

I don't intend to spend time reiterating the specific reasons that this set is broken... those are self-evident, and you've already admitted in other channels that the set is utterly without merit by design. So instead, this comment will be focusing on why that's such a stupid reason that this set is the way it is, how it is nothing more than a thin veneer of an excuse against the set's lack of effort, and that with a better perspective, this set could have been remotely well-designed and simultaneously better achieve your goal than what you have regurgitated onto this thread.

So, to start with. You've maintained on Skype that Dorkside is intentionally designed to be broken as is, but as part of a larger goal of making the character properly 'overpowered'. Like most rationalizations, it has the outward appearance of a logical statement, but under any scrutiny it is clearly asinine. Many games include overpowered features or characters in some fashion or another... be it Akuma from Street Fighter II, or the Golden Gun from Goldeneye. Using these features gave you a clear advantage over other players, but no serious game has ever included an option that simply left its opponents no recourse like Dorkside does.

In a well-designed multiplayer game, 'Overpowered' refers more to a sense that the character has really incredible options, unique tools, and usually incredible damage output... a more modern example might be Phoenix (not Wright) from Marvel vs Capcom III. A character who, used properly, could obliterate a full-health enemy team, but had significant weaknesses herself. She was strong, not unbeatable, but there was no doubt that plenty of salt was spilled whenever Dark Phoenix awoke. The Golden Gun from Goldeneye had the weakness of only having one bullet before needing to reload... and the player still needed to have the skill to avoid fire and kill his enemy before he could be killed himself. A good player with a standard weapon could outmaneuver a Golden Gun player easily. Akuma has been toned down since his original incarnation, but even in Street Fighter II, he wasn't too much more devastating than another character without some serious technical skill in playing him.

The lesson to be learned here is that overpowered =/= broken, and it's something that's used by other Make Your Move sets often. Heck, most sets will lean towards overpowered, simply on the basis that more interesting options can mean a more interesting set, and when people talk competitive balance, they're talking about facing off against the top tier characters anyways. Nappa by MasterWarlord and my own DarkMega set show how to approach this idea well... DarkMega in particular I wrote with the goal of his moves like his Down Special and Up Special seeming to be completely gamebreaking at a glance, but in full context, would actually be balanced. Even if you disagree with the balance of how that set ended up, you can see the example of how you can approach it like that.

Dorkside has none of these attributes. In merely two moves, the Neutral Special and Up Special, you establish a mindless pattern you can repeat without thought and guarantee victory. There's no reward for skill, and the rest of the entire moveset, even the utterly offensive minion that says "Hey, you, with the controller. You don't get to play anymore for a while, kthnx" is irrelevant when he already has a winning strategy that can't be beaten.

"But Meanie!" You say. "Dorkside is the bestest! It would be out of character for him to be otherwise!" It's true, Dorkside is a God, in a universe where quite a few non-God characters could handily defeat most mythological gods in a beatdown... but Dorkside isn't the first god to be in Smash... and Pit makes a career out of godslaying. Sure, Dorkside is probably stronger than the gods Pit defeats... but Pit is also lower tier than a monkey with a baseball cap and banana peels. Clearly, the idea of character balance and feeling powerful are separate entities... See Ganondorf and Brawl as well. I'm not defending Ganondorf's placement on the tier list... but certainly, pulling off down airs, up tilts, warlock punches, chaining side specials felt amazing, even if it wasn't practical.

Even then though, Dorkside manages to so far go beyond the realm of playability that he's no longer fun anymore. It's the difference between using something like Protean Greninja in competitive Pokémon, and Gamesharking a hacked Wondertomb with 999 all stats and a never miss sheer cold. The latter is going to be fun for all of five minutes, at which point you realize that the entire exercise is pointless, and never use it again. Dorkside is so broken he's boring... in fact, he is optimally boring. Omega Beams are simply fired and then you go invincible and wait. There's literally no interaction for Dorkside to do at that point. This incredibly interesting, intergral ability of this character, which you can redirect at will, teleport opponents with, so many possibilities... is just fired and forgotten, and the opponent has no option but to simply delay the inevitable. Ultimately, both players are simply stalling for time in a match that was decided back in the Character Select Screen. It'd be more forgiving if every move was simply replaced with his Final Smash... then at least we wouldn't have to put up with this mockery of a fight, and Dorkside wouldn't have the problem of over 90% of his moveset being irrelevant and outclassed by his first-tier strategy that can't be countered.

What really frustrated me here, and spurned me to make this comment though, was the attitude that I got from this set. There's this mixed air of both indignance and fatalism, as if nobody, including you, should have expected better, and wanting you to aim for something higher than this is offensive to you. If I had come to the conclusion that you were in some way 'completely irredeemable' as a contestant here, this set wouldn't bother me like it has. I'd simply roll my eyes after a brief glance and move on, if I even took the time to skim it. Much less that I should put the effort into typing all of this up (and since I only have phone access to the internet at this time, that's not an insignificant effort!). I believe in your ability at least enough to know that you settled for this set instead of trying to do something better with your concept. Dorkside aimed just for being mechanically broken, and you hit that... in the same manner that you park your car in your garage by plowing through the house and into the neighbor's backyard. You could've at least had some fun with it in the process... like a braindead action movie where the houses all explode afterwards and the car flies into the air and take out two helicopters. Instead you just sort of stopped the car when you got there, stepped out, locked the door, and expected us to be happy with the result, since it's what you were going for in the first place. Unfortunately, I'm not.

Smady

Smash Master
That was a fantastic comment. Not only brutally honest, but with a positive message not to settle for mediocrity in your movesets.

Time to work on my own stuff, but felt the need to mark that comment with a post. Hooah MYM17.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'm almost done with another moveset, but I may work out some moves and formatting, and then post it tomorrow or some other time later. I think I might want to want until all the reserved spaces on the last page are finished anyways. I'll tell you right now it's a character named whose name ends with a "y", like this: _____y, but that's all I say right now. Hopefully, it's better than my Superman, and hopefully, it's not another character that another person is also doing. I'm not so good at ranking movesets, so I probably won't end up doing that, but I will sometimes leave my comments here and there, though they'll be shorter than usual.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I think my moveset is doomed, right? And, in case anyone wants to know, I did not make it from the world inside my Brain. It's based on a toy.
It's not doomed, but you certainly picked a strange character to make a moveset for! I'm curious, though: were the high percentages in the set intentional? Like, maybe to represent the deadliness of his farts? Almost feels like you were going for a joke set, just it feels a bit vague and many of the %s throughout the set are erratic. No throw in Smash does more than 12% in general, let alone 70%.

I'm almost done with another moveset, but I may work out some moves and formatting, and then post it tomorrow or some other time later. I think I might want to want until all the reserved spaces on the last page are finished anyways. I'll tell you right now it's a character named whose name ends with a "y", like this: _____y, but that's all I say right now. Hopefully, it's better than my Superman, and hopefully, it's not another character that another person is also doing. I'm not so good at ranking movesets, so I probably won't end up doing that, but I will sometimes leave my comments here and there, though they'll be shorter than usual.
No need to worry about that Kiwi guy's reserved spaces - you and everyone else are free to post movesets while he puts up some more stars in the night sky. Also, no need to worry about doing your own ranking just because everyone else is, as that...just kind of happened.

I'm curious about the next character you're doing given you made a set for someone as iconic as Superman.

AlRex

Smash Lord
It's someone who is also very well-known, but very infamous in some ways. He's very associated with a particular color of the rainbow. Maybe I'll post it within an hour, even. We'll see, if I don't just go to sleep.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It's not doomed, but you certainly picked a strange character to make a moveset for! I'm curious, though: were the high percentages in the set intentional? Like, maybe to represent the deadliness of his farts? Almost feels like you were going for a joke set, just it feels a bit vague and many of the %s throughout the set are erratic. No throw in Smash does more than 12% in general, let alone 70%.
Hum, looking back, it's really a bit... overpowered. It was actually intended to be a joke Moveset, but the Up-Throw dealing 70% damage is really not so balanced. I made some changes:
  • Weight: 7 -> 3
  • Speed: 9 -> 7
  • Defense: 4 -> 2
  • Down-Tilt now deals 11% damage.
  • F-Smash now only Paralyzes the opponent. The knockback only happens if the sweetspot (The tip of the eye) hits, and now the attack KO's at 59%.
  • Up-Throw deals 20% damage.
  • The Pooping Bomb (Side-Special) now explodes after 30 seconds.
  • Now the Wake-Up Attack (Down-Special) happens after 7 seconds, and Puggly deals a Death Stare if the opponent does not punishes him. This Death-Stare can put the opponent in the Dizzy state, and the higher the damage, the longer the opponent will be dizzy.
Hope the changes were effective enough!

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Justice League Part 2 - Batman v Starman: Dawn of Movesets

Criminals are a terror. Hearts of the night. I must disguise my terror.
Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot.

I must be a creature of the night. I shall become a bat.
There is no one in the world who doesn't know Batman. Secret Identity: Bruce Wayne. Heir to the Wayne fortune. Mother and father shot in Crime Alley by common criminal Joe Chill. Bruce decided then and there that he would put a stop to crime in Gotham City. Batman strives to destroy crime, to prevent anyone from going through a similar tragedy to his own. Batman will always find away for justice to win. He is a founding member of the Justice League.

Weapons of choice: batarangs, bat-claw, and various items useful in stealth and distraction hidden inside of the utility belt/. Has achieved the very peak of human fitness and athletic ability. Considered to be one of the most intelligent men on the planet. Preferred method of engagement is stealth. One rule - does not take human life under any circumstance. Highly skilled in using surroundings and enemy's own strengths to his advantage.

Beware the Batman

Stats
Size - 8
Weight - 8
Ground Speed - 7
Jump Height - 6
Fall Speed - 9
Aerial Control - 9
Aerial Speed - 4
Special Traits - Walljump

Gliding
Though Batman is a fast faller, he has a special "float", activated the same way as Peach's. Batman does not hover - he extends his cape and slows his falling speed all the way down to 3/4ths that of Jigglypuff. Able to toggle this ability on and off an infinite amount of times while airborne. Batman cannot slow his falling speed while taking knockback, and takes knockback normally while gliding. Useful in surprising foes wanting to take advantage of falling speed.

Sneak
Batman's main weapon against enemies is stealth. Smashing down the control stick as if dashing downwards puts Batman into sneak mode. Batman crouches lower than Kirby's height. Can dash while sneaking. Still moves at standard dashing speed. Jumping exit sneak. Most attack also exit sneak unless stated otherwise. Rolling and dodging do not. Can execute any ground move from sneak. Allows Batman to approach quickly while dodging most standard projectiles and melee attacks.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special <^v^> Batarang
Batman's signature weapon. Batman extracts a Batarang. Upon release of the special button, Batman throws it. Similar aiming to Mega Man's Metal Blade - one of the 8 cardinal directions can be chosen to throw in. Range: 1/2 length of Battlefield's main platform. Fall to the stage if they do not hit a target. Can be used as a throwing item by opponents, with same effect, though can only be thrown forwards. Opponents may hit Batarangs to force them to fall, opposed to catching. Batarangs fall when hit with any attack. Picking Batarangs up, Batman will put away into utility belt.

Upon contact with a foe. Inflict 6%. Initial hit knocks foe slightly in the direction Batarang was traveling. During flight, pressing B alters fight path. Batarangs will travel another half SBU before turning 180 degrees mid-flight. Will avoid any enemies within that half-SBU. Will travel back to location Batman initially threw from. Useful tactic on dodging foes.

Press A jut before throw, and Batman extracts explosive Batarang from utility belt. On release, throws forward. Short range - 1 BFP. Explode upon contact with enemy. Inflict 20-28% and weak upwards knockback. Same properties as normal Batarangs - if target is not hit, fall to floor. Visually indistinguishable from normal Batarangs. Explode after 10 seconds if left on ground even if foe is holding one. Batman is susceptible to explosion as well.

Up Special <^v^> Bat-Grapple
Extracts one-handed Bat-Grapple from holster. Similar to Neutral Special, can be aimed in the 8 cardinal directions. .25 seconds start lag. Once released, grappling hook travels Sonic's dash speed. Infinite range; only stops when hitting foe or solid object, or grapple leaves blast zone. Grapple hook can be cancelled mid-flight with second press of Up B.

Upon contact with object or foe Batman reels himself towards it at Fox's dash speed. Can cancel pull at any moment with second press of Up B. If contact with enemy is made Batman kicks them, inflicting 10%, low knockback in direction Batman approached from. No ending lag if this method is used.

A-button may be pressed just as Batman makes contact with the enemy. Batman will then latch onto them. Same damage/knockback applied: Batman "piggybacks" the knockback with them, aiding recovery. Excellent tactic against enemies attempting to edge guard. When knockback is complete Batman performs a single mid-air jump, is unable to jump again until ground is touched.

A-button may also be pressed before grappling hook makes contact with foe or structure. This method is only usable while performing the attack on the ground. Should this be initiated Batman instead pulls on line as contact is made. Enemies, items, and others are pulled towards Batman, inflicted with minor knockback and minor stun. Batman suffers no ending lag should contact be made. Damageable structured dealt 10% when pulled. Opponents near Batman will be pulled past. Batman strikes them down in this case, knocking foes to the ground - inflicts extra 10%.

Bat-Grapple may only be used once mid-air. Cannot be used again until Batman has made contact with ground. Grapple hook can be dodged by foes. Batman may be hit while reeling towards an object. Should this happen he is knocked out of his path and put into the "helpless" falling state. Should Batman cling to a falling foe and be KOed, will always die first.

Side Special <^v^> Predator
Pounces forward or backward 1 BFP. No starting lag. If contact with foe is made during leap they will be brought to the ground. Inflicted 5% damage. Low priority. Batman may be hit while leaping. All grounded attacks usable during air time, including grab, excluding dash attack. Useful in evading enemies whilst providing an immediate counter-attack. Much more useful than standard counters as counter-measure may be chosen in mid-battle rather than a predetermined attack. Also useful in approaches for hand-to-hand combat when the situation calls for it. Used mid-air will have similar effect: Batman enters glide and is drafted down-right or down-left depending on input. Mid-air sideways movement is much quicker, not enough time to input attacks. No ending-lag mid-air.

Down Special <^v^> Smoke Screen
Extracts a smoke pellet from utility belt. Upon release of input Batman throws them directly at his feet. The pellet explodes releasing thick puff of dark smoke between roughly 2/3 the size of a smart-bomb explosion ... Within smoke, everything excluding opponent's outlines are completely concealed. In online and handheld matches, Batman can see perfectly within the smoke - in local matches, a vague outline will appear every few seconds.

Smoke remains onstage for 10 - 15 seconds. Particularly strong wind hitboxes (Read - Batman's Forward Tilt) may actually move smoke with the hitbox, as will inhaling attacks, though within smoke inhaling attacks will inhale it. Opponents who turn invisible within the smoke will not have their outline appear. Batman excels in cover - other players are completely blind to what he does within the smoke. Their main tactic will be to escape. Yours will be to prevent their escape. Does not force Batman to exit sneak.

Standard Attacks

Jab
Batman punches his foe. First punch is rather long-ranged, as Batman fully extends his arm and body into the punch. Inflicts 4%. Moves Batman closer to foe. Second punch is closer, only activating after successful delivery of first. Punch the gut. Inflicts 5%. Third hit is knee strike to the face, Inflicts 6%, lightly knocks opponent away from Batman. Very little ending lag. Combo can be stopped at any point to avoid knocking foe away.

Forward Tilt
Batman swings his weighted cape forward. Has slightly long due to cape's length - covers 1 Bowser length. Short starting lag, short ending lag. For foes out of range, creates wind hitbox which will push back 1 BFP. Opponents hit with cape take 8%. Cape pulls foes closer to Batman. Slight stun inflicted - just enough time for Batman to follow with second attack. Cape has added effect of knocking held items out of hand.

Down Tilt
From crouch, Batman sweeps his leg and cape. Quite long range for tilt - 2/3 BFP. Inflicts 9% and low backwards knockback. Allows Batman to retrieve fallen Batarangs in process of sweep. Pick-up area entire range of tilt. Used with Forward Tilt becomes useful disarming tool. If used out of Side-Special, instead becomes powerful flying kick. Inflicts
13% - higher horizontal knockback. KO around 130%.

Up Tilt
Delivers devastating uppercut. Lifting strength of Batman - 2000 pounds. Striking power: high. Upon impact foes are launched upwards - knockback enough to KO as low as 100%. Inflicts 16%. Very minimal ending lag. Use in conjunction with Up Special.

Dashing Attack
Batman slides on the ground. Distance covered: 1 SBU. Upon contact with opponent, inflicts 9%. Ending lag minimal. At any time during slide, including after impact, tapping left or right in order to use his standard roll. Useful in situations where enemies cannot see Batman. As a not, Batman's rolls are exactly the same length as his leap in his Side Special. If performed out of sneak, Batman will re-enter sneak immediately upon finishing roll or impact.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air
Corkscrew Maneuver. Dramatically increases his forward velocity. Entire body is hitbox. Inflicts 11%. Low dragging knockback. Low end lag. Optimal use - approach for aerial grab. Otherwise very quick way to traverse stage out of a glide.

Up Aerial
Performs a scissor-kick upwards. Thanks to Batman's stature and precision, has more range than the standard upwards kick. Highly damaging - inflicts 16% with high upwards knockback. KO potential - 130%. Very low start lag - this attack can be performed seemingly out of nowhere on unsuspecting foes. Reliable KO move in high-damage situations.

Down Aerial
Dive Bomb. Batman plummets towards ground at fast-falling speeds. Entire body is hitbox on the way down - inflicts 8% and weak diagonally downwards knockback if he hits from the side. Can pull up from dive at any time by pressing up on control stick - this puts Batman in glide mode. Upon hitting ground Batman lands in a crouched position.

Cape creates a wind hitbox which pushes opponents away dealing no damage akin to flood. The wind hitbox covers an area of 1 BFP - it is powerful enough to blow away Batman's own smoke. Should Batman land directly on top of an opponent, even in the air, his grab is automatically initiated. More information can be found in the "Grab Game" section. Does not grab opponents within shields.

Forward Aerial
Similar attack to Forward Tilt. The range on his cape is quite a bit longer owing to any momentum he has while airborne. Difference in knockback - opponent still pulled towards Batman, this time at an upwards angle. Slight damage increase - inflicts 10%. Wind hitbox same as Forward Tilt.

Back Aerial
Backhand cape strike. Somewhat similar to Forward Air. Completely turns Batman around mid-air. Cape inflicts 12%. Similar knockback to previous cape attacks - pull foe toward Batman. Optimal for quick aerial opponents. Excellent in pulling foes in for grab. Wind hitbox remains in place, though stronger with the force behind the push - 1.5 BFP.

Smash Attacks
Down Smash
Extracts explosive gel from utility belt. Immediately sprays gel where he stands. Process takes as long as move is charged. Will spray onto any surface. Attack does not work in mid-air. Upon the foe walking over, the gel explodes. Explosion roughly the size of Link's bomb explosions - inflicts 14%-21% and upwards knockback KOing at 160% fully charged. Small beacon appears over opponent's head when standing within 1 BFP of gel blast radius. Explosive Batarangs can and will detonate gel. Strategic placement of gel can greatly disrupt an opponent's plan of attack. This attack does not force Batman out of sneak. In fact, cape covers area Batman sprays gel, concealing the attack's use.
Up Smash
Enters combat-ready stance. Upon release Batman flips and kicks fully extending his leg upward. Minimal starting lag. Inflicts 21% at no charge, 30% at full. KO power at full charge: 80%. High vertical knockback. One of Batman's few direct-combat attacks specifically meant for KOing foes. Ending lag average. Can be easily followed up upon at low percents.

Forward Smash
Extracts 1 or multiple flash bangs from utility belt. Upon release Batman throws flash bangs to the ground 1/2 BFP in front of his position. Immediately upon impact the flash bangs explode in bright burst of light. Area covered - .05 to 1.5 BFPs. Batman shields own eyes if within that range - ending lag is moderate. Foes within the flash bang's coverage dealt 10-14%. No knockback - opponents put in "dizzy" state normally afflicted with deku nut. The effect lingers as long as the effect of that item. Effect can be avoided if shield is up during blast. Batman will not shield his eyes if leaping away from the blast via Side Special.

Grab Game

Grab
Batman has a short range grab. Lunges at foe, pins them. Far more usable out of Side Special than when standing. Pins foe to ground. Can grab foes mid-air. Pummel is a punch to the face, inflicts 3%. Batman can grab out of sneak.

Down Throw
Extracts syringe from utility belt, injects foe. Inflicts 3%. Sleep serum. Appears harmless at first. Foe randomly takes hits of 2% and 3% over next 10 seconds. At random point, always after 5 second mark, foe will fall asleep. Will possibly not fall asleep. Just as likely. Sleeping rules apply as in-game. Foe cannot fall asleep mid-air. If foe is mid-air at 10 second mark and has not fallen asleep, affect wears off. Mid-air foes attempting to avoid sleep can be taken advantage of.

Back Throw
Handcuffs or similarly restrains foe. Leaves them where they sit. Escape difficulty: 2/3 grab difficulty. Foe cannot move until unrestrained. If used in air, foe begins falling as soon as released. Same difficulty of restraint. Will not reliably KO - rather, allows Batman safe passage onstage after piggybacking foe. Use time wisely. Taking damage knocks restraints off of foe.

Up Throw
Enemy Extraction. Batman fires Bat-grapple forward+upward, 45 degrees. Same rules apply as in up special. Batman carries foe in-toe. At apex of launch, should grapple have attached to a surface, Batman launches over edge before slamming foe into the ground. Inflicts 16%. If a wall is hit, Batman slams foe into wall and can immediately wall-jump. Acts as second recovery if off-stage. Should Bat-Grapple not latch onto anything, Batman retracts with heavy lag as foe escapes clutches. Use wisely.

Forward Throw
Lifts opponent by their neck. Delivers punch inflicting 13%. Opponents are thrown set distance of 1 BFP. Batman may follow up in any way he sees fit - rush down foe for more damage; attempt stealth with smoke; launch opponent into trap; many options available after Forward Throw.

Final Smash
Bat-tank
Batman calls upon his Bat-tank. Similar to Landmaster. But cooler.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Everyone’s favorite purple reptile finally enters Smash! That’s right, it’s…

Intro
Barney is a dinosaur from our imagination, and when he’s tall, he’s what you’d call a dinosaur sensation. To explain this further, Barney is seemingly a stuffed animal that a very diverse group of children with varied ages like to play with in the playground after school. However, through some sort of magic, Barney will spring to life and become a human-sized, walking and talking, (somewhat) intelligent dinosaur, who hangs out and plays with the children as a more active participant in their fun time, as well as helping the children with some problems (usually through magic, rather than actual problem solving skills) and taking them on field trips, ranging from kind of reasonable places like the local fire department to more fantastical ones like fairy tales, Santa Claus's North Pole workshop, and even outer space, like some sort of wannabe Miss Frizzle. He is supposedly a T-Rex, but he’s less concerned with carnivorous hunter activities and more about being friendly and fun with the children. There’s no clawing and biting to be seen from him on his show, and the same seems to hold true for this moveset.

Barney’s Stats
Size: 9/10 (About the same height as King Dedede)
Weight: 6/10 (Barney’s tall, but only slightly above average in weight, due to being made of more soft and cushioned material than your average dinosaur)
Ground Speed: 3/10 (Barney kind of meanders at a casual pace, and considering how big [and fat] the fellow is, he’s not exactly a marathon runner.)
Jumps: Barney only gets a standard two jumps. He’s (vaguely) a T-Rex, not a Pterodactyl.
Aerial Speed: 5/10 (Barney gains a little bit here due to his relative lightness)
Aerial Control: 4/10 (Barney is a lumbering land dinosaur, air is not his forte.)
Fall Speed: 4.5/10 (Barney’s coated in foam, but quite a bit of it, so he gets a fall speed only slightly under average.)
Traction: 5/10 (Very average traction for a slightly above average weighted character with several other factors that even this out to being, well, average.)

Super-Dee-Duper Specials
Neutral Special – Star of the Show
Barney looks forward at the audience as a blue and yellow top hat magically appears on his head. He waves to the audience with both hands, which can deal slight damage at both sides, with 2% for each hand hit. However, this is not the main part of the move. After about 2 seconds, a spinning circle of several stars appears around Barney, much like the Leaf Shield for Mega Man, but with a bit more stars than there are leaves in Mega Man’s move. This can cause multiple light hits of damage (2% for every time a star rotates up or down to hit an opponent), though only the one that’s closest to the opponent at the time will cause the damage, and it doesn’t deal very much knockback or stun, and can be easily gotten out of. This move also doesn’t move from Barney’s body, cannot be thrown like a Leaf Shield, and cannot deflect or stop projectiles, only attack in close range. After about 10 seconds, or if you cancel out of it, Barney will stop doing this move and the stars will all disappear very quickly with slight bursts of sparkling magical energy. These are aesthetic, and they don’t do any damage. The most damage this move could do if an opponent just stood there and took it for some reason would be 22%, but that’d be nearly impossible to pull off. You can also use to perhaps start a combo, as the initial attacks can catch opponents off guard and leave them temporarily open, though it can already by a small combo in and of itself.

Up Special – Balloon-y
Barney holds a single balloon, which seems to have eyes and a smiling mouth, and floats straight upward. Unlike Villager’s Balloon move, this doesn’t have multiple jumps to it, and it goes a shorter distance of about 1 and ½ regular jumps, but it goes faster and can deal some damage. If the balloon hits any opponent, it will pop, dealing 10% damage and some knockback/upward spiking, along with a slightly humorous quick effect of the balloon having a frowning face with X’s for eyes before it fully pops, but it will send Barney into a much faster free fall afterwards. Otherwise, after the flight of the balloon is over, Barney will automatically let go of it and descend into free fall as he and the balloon go their separate ways. You’ll have to be careful about using this recovery, but it at least is somewhat effective as a fighting move. Barney can also use his forward and backward Aerials during this move to slightly change the trajectory of his flight, as well as being able to deal some extra damage in the process.

Forward Special – Hey Kids!
Barney magically summons a random kid, around the size of Ness and Lucas, in his arms and gives them a quick hug before releasing them to the ground, which can deal a 3% damage and knock an opponent to the ground if the kid is released onto them. Barney will then say “Oh no! It’s not safe here, kids!” and he will cause the kid to magically disappear, hopefully to a safer place. However, if nobody is nearby, Barney will just release the kid normally, and they will wander the arena freely with a smile on their face, acting a bit like Mr. Saturn. However, unlike Mr. Saturn, if someone attempts to pick them up or attack them, they will react back, by kicking, punching, or headbutting the opponent away, dealing 8% damage with fairly good knockback and stun behind their attack. After this, they will disappear while Barney wags one mitten-like hand and shakes his head, saying “Nuh-uh! Bad kid!” causing them to go who knows where via his magic. Be careful to not attack these kids yourself as Barney, as they can also damage you, too, though Barney will do the same magic disappearing act afterwards as he would if the kid attacked anyone else. Hugs are fine, though, as the kids seem to usually love Barney. Only three kids can be on the stage at a time, and if you try to spawn more, Barney will just hug the air, which can send him into a grab move if he’s near an opponent and it’s timed right, but will otherwise have no effect and just leave him open.

Down Special – STOP Sign
Barney pulls out a STOP sign and holds it in front of himself, while also holding his other hand out in front of him. Barney is also suddenly wearing a crossing guard’s jacket and hat during this move, as well as having a whistle hanging from his mouth. Barney says “Stop! Wait until it’s safe!” while doing this. The effects of this are not damage, but rather halting any nearby opponent in front of Barney for a second, as well as completely stopping any projectiles that come Barney’s way. Even after the opponent realizes it would be foolish to actually stop for long, any attacks they inflict on Barney will only cause him to move very slightly, as if he were blocking in a “regular” fighting game, and any damage their attack inflicts will be halved. The downsides to this move, though, are that Barney has to stay in his original position for 3 seconds, counting the one second he has of the opponent being stunned, though afterwards, he will be able to either keep the sign up, but he’ll become able to be moved more and more by being attacked as his STOP sign's power seems to diminish, or he can just cancel out of the move and be free to do whatever else he wants. Also, while it will be hard to attack him from the front, he will be completely open from the back, though, again, attacks will not cause him to budge very much until his three seconds are up, but damage percentages will remain the same.

Nice Normals
Jab Attack – Barney dances, with a kick outward and a hand stretched upward, which can deal damage with either limb. Barney then follows up by doing the same with his other arm and foot. There’s slight 2 second lag in between both of these attacks/dance moves, but Barney can do this dance constantly for however long you keep pressing the button or until he’s interrupted by being attacked himself. Each hit with either the foot or the hand (the foot reaches out a bit further than Barney’s stubby arms) deals 3% damage at a time.

Dash Attack – Happy Hop
Barney jumps up slightly and skips forward. He then slides slightly on one foot, with the other one held out, which is basically a kick that moves quickly upward and deals 5% damage, knocking opponents away from Barney. This doesn’t go as far as some dash moves, but it will deal some more knockback than others.

Up Tilt – Hello!
Barney faces forward and waves his hand in the air, as if saying “Hello” to the audience watching at home. He shakes his hand a little bit, making the hit box of this move slightly erratic, but able to possibly hit an opponent more than once, though this move only lasts about 2 seconds and for about 2 shakes. Each shake can deal about 2% damage, for a possible total of 4% damage, though either way, it will still spike up opponents that are above him, or even swat away opponent at his sides.

Forward Tilt – Kiss from Me to You
Barney puts his hand to his mouth, then swats it outward as he blows a kiss, with little hearts trailing his hand that can deal extra damage, and one final heart that appears directly in front of him that quickly pops afterwards, dealing one final hit of damage. If the final heart burst hits the opponent, the move overall deals 7% damage. If only the kissing swat hits the opponent, it only deals 4% damage.

Down Tilt – Top Hat
Barney faces forward and a top hat magically appears on his head. He takes it off and bows down while moving slightly close to his chest, as if it were the end of a stage show and people were cheering him on. Barney’s hat moves down along with him, and is the main hitbox of the attack, moving in an arc and dealing 5% damage, though Barney’s crouching motion can also deal 2% damage if it hits the opponent instead of the hat.

Affectionate Aerials
Neutral Aerial – Dancing Twirl
Barney twirls in the air with his hands held straight above his head, as well as his feet held together underneath him. This can hit a few times, with 3 spins and 1% damage for each of them, but it will not get Barney much distance, making him stay in place, aside from dropping down, as he does it. However, the whole time, Barney’s entire body has a hitbox on him, which makes this effective for keeping opponents away from him.

Up Aerial – Sparkling Rainbow
Barney swats his hand upward in a slight arc, with a semi-transparent, magically sparkling rainbow trailing it. Barney’s rainbow smack will spike away opponents, but deals only a little damage with 3%, and will not get opponents to go very far away. A rainbow is just something that appears in little bits of water or mist, after all.

Forward Aerial – Marching Kick
Barney kicks outward while jutting his arm/elbow outward, as if he were marching, and moves slightly forward with this move, dealing a 4% damage with either limb hitting, along with some decent knockback and spiking.

Backward Aerial – Tail Spin
Barney spins around in the air, whipping his tail behind himself on accident for a move that does decent knockback and can spike away opponents, dealing 4% damage in the process.

Down Aerial – Dancing Stomp
Barney stomps down with one foot, sending him quickly straight downwards. This move can spike down opponents, or he can land on the opponent and slam to the ground, dealing 6% damage either way.

Thoughtful Throws
Grab: Barney holds his hands out for a hug and grabs the opponent to his chest with both of them.

Pummel Barney squeezes the opponent tight with his hugging.

Up Throw – Wheeeeee!
Barney lifts the opponent and then tosses them upward, intending for them to have a little fun ride. The opponent will not find this fun themselves, as they will soon drop to the ground afterwards, getting 7% damage in total.

Forward Throw – Patty Cake, Patty Cake
Barney holds the opponent to his chest, but then throws them outward. He then holds his hands to his chest, but looks forward and soon realizes his mistake as the opponent falls and hits the ground. The move in total deals 6% damage.

Backward Throw – Ring Around the Rosie!
Barney holds the opponent by their hands (or whatever equivalent they have) and swings them around once before tossing them away behind him. The throw and the landing in total lead to a damage percentage of 8%, like one of Mario’s throws, though it seems to have been on friendlier terms for Barney.

Down Throw – If You Love Them, Let Them Go
Barney has the opponent still in a hug, but then decides to hold them away from him and release them from his hands to the ground. Unfortunately, he forgot to help them land safely. Oops. This accidental landing deals 5% damage and a slight bit of stun.

Splendid Smash Attacks
Up Smash – Baby Bop’s Blanket
Barney pulls out a mid-sized piece of cloth, this being Baby Bop’s beloved blanket, and whips diagonally upward with it rolled up, coming upward in a straight, diagonal line at the end of the attack. Does decent enough damage with 15% and can cause an opponent to flinch, but doesn’t cause a lot of knockback.

Forward Smash – Direct Kiss
Barney leans forward and kisses the opponent. Kind of yucky. If it lands, the effect of this kiss results in a huge, Kirby-sized heart between the two that bursts and disappears three seconds after it appears, knocking the opponent back away from Barney and dealing 20% damage.

Down Smash – Belly Laugh
Barney starts laughing while holding his hands on his stomach. His belly starts shaking a few times, and if an opponent is nearby while this happens, they will be bounced up and then down onto the ground, sliding backwards for a short distance. They’ll be dealt 5% damage with the initial hit of the stomach, and 10% damage with the impact with the ground, though all of this will happen very quickly with no lag in between.

Final Smash – I Love You, You Love Me
Barney’s infamous ending song starts playing, and he starts standing in place, singing it and dancing along, with shockwaves around him that shield him from long range projectiles, as well as moving outward to knock away opponents in close range, for about 3% damage per each hit. If an opponent somehow gets in too close, however, they will be caught in a trance and start dancing along with Barney, though it will look more like they are shifting into their various hurt animations in different directions, and it will reflect in their damage percentage, gaining at 2% every three seconds they dance along to the song. The song, and the Final Smash, lasts 1 minute, almost exactly, so there will be a lot of damage able to be inflicted on these poor souls, the maximum being exactly 60%. After the song is done and Barney stops singing and dancing, they won’t be sent flying. Instead, they will just drop to the ground and be temporarily stunned, in a similar state to sleeping, but inflicted in a worse way. This will leave them open to further attacks afterwards, most likely from Barney. This Final Smash is slightly like Donkey Kong’s, Peach’s, and even the Assist Trophy attack of Barbara the Bat, but combined and extended to become an even more deadly force.

Playstyle
None of Barney’s moves are intended by him to hurt anyone, as he simply wishes to express his happiness and love for everyone. However, Barney is a lethal foe who doesn’t seem to realize it. A lot of Barney’s tilts have many different areas that can hit an opponent, and his lack of speed, agility, and general range are made up for by his inadvertent strength and the fact that one of his own specials can also lead into a grab and throw if timed correctly. Barney also has a lot of moves meant (by me, the writer) to keep opponents away from him once they approach him, and though a few of them do less damage than usual, they can make up for it sometimes through the distance they send opponents away from Barney. However, Barney often distracts himself with the motions of his own moves, and can often leave himself open to getting attacked. Playing as Barney can be risky (and embarrassing, but that’s doesn’t affect whether or not he’s effective.), but also rewarding (and embarrassing if you defeat the other player, which maybe can affect their effectiveness in play, though only emotionally).

Pallets/Costumes
Default– His regular purple and green self.

Blue Team – Barney becomes a darker purple and his green becomes blue instead. His eyes also become cartoony ones with pupils, and he has spikes running down his back. This resembles a bootleg-ish toy I saw and bought from a thrift store because, hey, it was pretty cheap. And it’s not like it’s actual Barney, it’s, uhh, Bernie…yeah…don’t give me that look! (I don’t have a picture, I don’t think)

Red Team – Barney becomes yellow instead of purple, his stomach becomes a slightly darker green, his dots become red, and he wears a red baseball cap and red & white sneakers, much like his friend BJ. I don’t know why he’s named that. (BJ seen here: http://tinyurl.com/przzmhv) (Safe for work)

Green Team – The regular green and purple are switched, and he wears purple ballet slippers. This also resembles Barney’s good friend Baby Bop. (Baby Bop seen here: http://tinyurl.com/qf7gbh2)

Baloney the Dinosaur. An even doofier looking version of Barney from Animaniacs who is orange and turquoise instead of purple and green, as well as having small spikes running down his back. (Baloney seen here: http://tinyurl.com/o7fdzvz)

Riff. A later addition to the series. I stopped watching long before then. Really. Barney trades the purple and green for orange and yellow, but keeps his green spots, and wears green sneakers. (Riff seen here: http://tinyurl.com/q6599x7)

Ballerina Barney. Barney retains his regular colors, but now wears a pink tutu like a ballerina. There is no other real difference. (Seen here: http://tinyurl.com/qxpzf64)

Fireman Barney. Barney in his regular colors, but with a fireman’s helmet, jacket, and boots on. (Seen here: http://tinyurl.com/pbunvgm)

Other Extras
Entrance A doll of Barney appears on the ground, but then starts growing into a full-sized Barney with magical sparkles floating around him. Barney holds both hands upwards and smiles. “Let’s use our imaginations!” he says.

Taunts
Up Taunt Barney pulls out an apple and a banana and holds them in each hand, dancing in place with them and lifting them upward with each step. After a few seconds, Barney will stop dancing and will simply eat said oople and banoonoo, or rather, shove them into his mouth and down his throat, peel, core, and all. This doesn’t heal him, but it doesn’t hurt him either.

Forward Taunt Barney pulls out a flower and sniffs it, then makes it disappear via magic.

Down Taunt A trash can appears on the ground in front of Barney, with a crumpled up piece of paper in front of it. Barney floats the garbage upward and then drops into the trash can, while also singing a bit of the Clean Up song. “Clean up, clean up, everybody do your share!”

Victory Poses
1. Barney faces the “camera” and points to the audience, saying “Remember, I love you!” while miming a bit

2. Barney spins around and jumps in the air a bit while laughing, then poses with his hands held upwards while saying “Super-dee-duper!”

3. Barney is surrounded by various dancing kids, dancing along with them with some spins, arms thrust in the air, and kicks forward. In the purest sense of the phrase, this seems to be a victory dance.

Loss PoseBarney claps and smiles politely for the opponent. Barney didn’t come here to fight, anyways, or at least, he didn’t intend to.

Boxing Ring TitleTyrant Lizard? (Yes, with a question mark)

Kirby Hat Barney gains a hat that looks like the top half of Barney’s head.

Victory Music The ending notes of his “Yankee Doodle” tuned theme song.

(I really hope nobody else does a Barney this time, and I’d be really surprised and slightly disappointed if they did. I definitely tried to make a lot of the moves more imaginative, and even pulled from that weird SEGA Genesis game of Barney, but some of them, even with disguising of their intent, still did feel a bit generic. The throws especially could be better. Oh well…)

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
STARMAN

Grabs in Rychu Starman:
  • Neutral B
  • Side B
  • Up B
  • Dashing Attack
  • Utilt
  • Dtilt
  • Zair
  • Grab

Stun on grabs in Rychu Starman:

• Down Special: ( 1-4 seconds of stun based off "pummeling", leaves in prone)
  • Dashing Attack (prone)
  • Dtilt (prone)
  • Fthrow (Chaingrabs 3 times guaranteed, deals 21% with full combo)
  • Dthrow (Forces enemy to...Use their roll, with his amount of grabs sounds abusable. Also infinites against wrestling rope walls he can make.)
  • Side B Throw (Makes enemies run half a SBU, see dthrow. As a bonus if they hit ring ropes they will run back to you the same distance)
  • Down Special Throw (Activates the broken Down Special)

The extensive stuns present in Rychu’s Starman are the primary issue I take with the moveset being generally worse than most of your other output. I get that grabs and the prone position are the most flavorful things available for wrestling movesets, but some restraint is really needed for this sort of thing. When playing with them so heavily, you need to make a huge point of why they don’t infinite, and you have to try harder to differentiate them from each other. You should probably have had some exploitation of prone somewhere (outside of the assumed stunlock), and I think one of the “command grabs” should’ve actually also lead into the grab-game. I greatly approve of the additional throws, though this character may have been an interesting one to have a second grab-game instead (done by making a Special a second grab-game), especially with the direction you took with the moveset. If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could potentially have multiple grab inputs, like Joe’s Pinsir, although I admit that would make it difficult to fill in the regular inputs. You did a decent job of trying to capture a wrestling feel with this moveset, you just left the Smash engine a bit behind. When the set isn’t focusing on prone/grabs, there’s little worth talking about, so I can see why you went so heavily with the theme.

STARMAN

Kiwi’s Starman isn’t quite as bad about stun lock as Rychu’s, emphasizing prone more in comparison to the grabs emphasized in the other version. It ultimately does turn out a bit better here, as there is a more direct incentive to place foes into prone for the playstyle with that dsmash. While I don’t think this set can infinite enemies, the use of the dizzy state in the dsmash and pitfalling on the down special is still rather overpowered stun. While this set is obviously much more balanced and handles prone better, I will say that it could probably have done a lot more with the grab-game, which the other set obviously demonstrates. Much like Rychu Starman, this set is also largely lost when it’s not focusing on prone/grabs, having minimal content beyond it.

I know you love your conversational writing style and it works a lot of the time, Kiwi, but it does set me off when the purpose of a move like the bthrow is just for a writing gag and little else. As a criticism of both Starmen, I’m not sure how much they needed generic non starman wrestlers performing all of these wrestling maneuvers as gifs. I put things like elbow drops and piledrivers on my non wreslting characters anyway, I don’t think they need to be visually shown by random wrestlers the moveset isn’t for.

STARMAN

There’s not much to say about the Mother version of Starman when Rychu can’t come up with much of anything positive to say. Your writing style is enjoyable when the character is this unworkable, but if this is truly all he can do it’s not really a viable character to make a moveset. Basically the only thing you have is some small mindgame potential with his lack of animations and between the Specials/Smashes. Beyond those sections, the rest of the moveset largely consists of Starman being angled in a direction by an invisible hand and magically spawning a hitbox. Rychu said this moveset felt “rushed”, though I don’t really know what much else you could have done with it if you had spent more time. He is a decent joke effort “bonus” for your little Starman movement.

SUPERMAN

I agree with Joe’s criticism that Rychu’s Superman doesn’t feel particularly “super”. The only way this interpretation of Superman holding back so much really works is if he’s put alongside nothing but the existing Smash characters, but that’s a rather awkward thing to assume that everyone he fights will be canonically weak. It would be good flavor for a handful of moves, but not spread out throughout the set as far as it is. The smashes seem to be where you try to have Superman actually show his true strength, but they have crippling weaknesses, and it feels weird how large of a disconnect there would be between the player and Superman. If Superman is going to be so obsessed with not harming less canonically powerful enemies, he should at least gain some further durability, as he certainly at least wouldn’t roll over and die.

Most Smash Bros stages take place in the middle of nowhere anyway, so they would be an ideal place for him to show his power. Even on a crowded stage, Superman wouldn’t cry all that much if he lifted up a single Bowser sized ground chunk or something. With the extensive work you put into Starman’s grab-game, I will also say that it feels like Superman should have some more effort put into his aerial grab-game. If he’s not able to use his full grab-game in the air, perhaps he could have a second one? These are the kinds of things that could help the set stand out. As of now, the stats section claims Superman can use all but his standards during his float, though I assume the zair input would overwrite the grab, and the set seems to take little advantage of this fact in general.

SUPERMAN

Welcome to MYM, Alrex. I will say that this Superman does correct one complaint I have from Rychu’s in that Superman doesn’t appear to be holding back constantly, and just uses it for flavor in a couple of moves rather than a constant theme. Beyond that, though, I don’t have much positive to say. Little effort is put into individual attacks and they don’t come together to form much of a unique style to differentiate him from other characters. I think both of you missed a good deal of potential with this character – in this version he largely comes across as a generic brawler that happens to be able to fly. The percentages are a tad bit low and I think Superman should probably have more of a heavyweight feel than this to represent some of the power behind his punches, but given this is your first moveset you’re probably still learning the Smash engine numbers.

X MAN

Batman does what Starman and Superman attempted to do with the grab-game much better, managing to have an remotely interesting aerial grab-game and have any kind of lead ins to it rather than just an assortment of additional redundant grabs. The various lead ins with Side Special, cape moves that bring enemies closer, and decent approaching aerials all do their job adequately. The set does a good job of actually at all feeling like Batman by going fairly strictly with the Arkham version of the character, and the organization/writing style gives a great feel without being too obtrusive.

In this day and age, I generally loathe smokescreens and control reversals, but you use them as best you really can. The mix-ups in the smokescreen are decent with the exploding batarang, the trap, and the counter. Slowly reversing the foe’s controls rather than doing it all at once makes it actually matter, and more importantly foes may not realize their controls have been reversed while within a smokescreen. While those things are good, it’s terrible the smokescreen is not a special, the exploding batarang should be an alternate input on the primary batarang Special, and I still hate control reversal enough that I’m still iffy on it even with the better execution. For the large focus on landing grabs, I think a bit more effort also could’ve been put into throws beyond dthrow and bthrow, and bthrow is the control reversal throw.

NEW>>> WINNIE THE POOH 2.0 <<<NEW

This set definitely has a lot more personality in it than Superman, Alrex. You do a good job of capturing the rather inherently humorous nature of having Barney in a fighting game with the joke animations and him only accidentally hurting the foe. The numbers are still very low, like Superman, but in this case I think it’s more intentional as Barney is largely a joke character, like Pichu. The only particularly terrible number is the Down Special where Barney makes enemies stop for 7 seconds (Nothing should stun for more than a single second at the very most), and it’s also pretty terrible for the opponent’s characterization. There’s nothing wrong with Barney humiliating Ganondorf by hugging and kissing him, but if you make Ganondorf do anything this purple abomination wants him to do willingly, we have a problem.

If you’ve read any of the other movesets, you’ll have noticed we always put the Specials first. The reason for this is because the Specials are by far the best place to lay a solid foundation for the rest of the moveset, and the rest of the moveset generally will need to be presented in the context of said Specials. If your moves could work just as well on any other character and don’t care about the context of your other moves, your character doesn’t have much unique about how they play in comparison to other characters. Ideally in MYM movesetting, you’ll be regularly referencing the Specials and some other moves to talk about how they interact. They don’t have to always be hard interactions (Down Special summons a minion, another move buffs that minion), but you can talk about how moves benefit from one another (a rudimentary example being a combo).

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
@ MasterWarlord MasterWarlord , I appreciate the feedback for Barney and the suggestions in general. I agree that the STOP move is very frustrating. It's basically just as frustrating in the SEGA Genesis game, but I do not need to inflict that upon everyone, so I'll probably change it later, among other things.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Just to let anyone who read it know - Batman has been updated, changed, and in my opinion: improved upon based on comments, suggestions, and my own feelings on the one-day moveset I put out. Consider a re-read, as I'm currently considering a new, completely different approach at re-making my Superman moveset.

And a message to AlRex - sorry for not having a comment on Barney, I prefer to do my comments in groups and will most definitely put out my opinion on it when a few more movesets come out!

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
@ Rychu Rychu : That's perfectly fine, and makes sense. You can get to Barney whenever you want to. I was also considering revising my Superman, but to be honest, I'm a little Superman-ed out now, no offense. I still want to revise Barney a bit more still and do other characters, too. Hopefully some girl characters.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Parasect
(for MYMer)

“A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.” - Caesar, The Tragedy of Julius Caesar

After a long-teased wait, Pokémon #047, Parasect, finally joins the battle in Project M! Appearing as the final, 47th fighter in the popular Brawl mod, Parasect lives up to the hype by bringing a fighting style unique from any other character in the game.

A combination Bug/Grass-type originating in the original Pokémon titles, Parasect is an entity comprised of two different, but inseperably linked, organisms. Beginning its life as a Paras, a creature rather like a cicada nymph with a fungal colony living within it, the Pokémon's small, sprouting mushrooms morph into an all-encompassing, singular tochukaso upon evolution into Parasect. At this stage in its life, the insect host is literally a neotonized shell which the fungus is free to reside in and control. In a way, this makes Parasect the closest Pokémon there is to a zombie. The species can be found in dark, humid caves and forests, often thriving in large colonies that inhabit trees and drain them of their nutrition and resources, making them somewhat of a pest. Parasect is not entirely seen as a hindrance, however, as the spores from the tochukaso have been used in medicine. In battle, Parasect specializes in status-based moves that cause hindering effects to the opponent, but its powerful, pincer-like forelegs bestow it with respectable physical strength as well. The parasite uses the host's body to any extent necessary for its own self-preservation.

Stats

• Size – 7
  • Weight – 7 (95)
  • Walk Speed – 7
  • Dash Speed – 2
  • Traction – 10
  • Jump Height – 2
  • Air Speed – 1
  • Air Control – 3
  • Fall Speed / Fastfall Speed – 5 / 7
Parasect is built a bit differently from most other fighters, anatomically speaking. Not only is it a hexaped, but its insectoid frame gives its body different capabilities – and limitations – when compared to the cast at large. Parasect, despite being just a bit over three feet tall, is a somewhat sizable fighter. While only as tall as Lucario, the entirety of the mushroom included, Parasect's stance makes it a bit wider than average, a little less so than Donkey Kong. As such, it's a semi-large target, and it may not help to know that it's quite slow as well. The heavy fungus makes mobility cumbersome, and leaves Parasect as the second slowest dasher in the game, just behind Dedede and outpacing only Jigglypuff. It fairs just as poorly in the air, with a paltry air speed between Luigi and the Ice Climbers. Its aerial control (or aerial mobility), is only slightly better, matching that of Donkey Kong, so overall, it's not very mobile, whether on the ground or in the air, and doesn't have much in the way of remedying this. Parasect's fall speed isn't too shabby, at least, being comparably middling to the likes of Mario and Ivysaur, and its ability to fastfall is respectably similar to Diddy's. Not that it'd often be falling far, based on its somewhat weak jump height, which is perhaps best compared to Snake's.

While Parasect's aerial control is a little loose, its slow speed and perfect traction make ground movement tight, responsive, and pixel-perfect for players who obsess over exact spacing. The low traction does, unfortunately, limit its wavedash range pretty considerably, giving it one of the shorter wavedash distances in the game, though it is above average in speed. Its relatively brisk walking speed, which is equal to that of Meta Knight, makes getting into precise position easier. Parasect's weight, sitting comfortably between Ness and Mewtwo on the scale, gives it modest survivability while pairing well with its decent fastfall speed.

Animation/Movement Details

An overview of how Parasect moves in battle; how the Pokémon looks and acts when being played as.

IdleParasect's default stance when left idle is practically identical to the pose seen in the above artwork. Parasect stands with its body lifted up, resting the tips of its pincers on the ground in front of it. Conserving its energy, it doesn't move much, only slowly lowering its body and rising back up to ease its legs in a continual cycle. When left idle for several seconds, it will rub one claw over the other, then alternate; other times, a claw will gently rub the mushroom on its back, as if attempting to polish or clean it.

CrouchWhen crouching, Parasect tucks its body under the rim of the mushroom, the way a turtle would retract into its shell. This leaves the mushroom resting on the ground with Parasect's lifeless eyes peering out from within. The action of crouching only reduces Parasect's height by a few inches, but it does allow the Mushroom Pokémon to crawl. When crawling, Parasect keeps its body pressed to the ground as it scuttles along on its small legs, its pincers held crossed in front of its body.

Crouching is actually pretty important when playing Parasect, and let me tell you why. When Parasect crouches, its weak, zombified, insect body is protected by the bulbous mushroom. While hiding below the mushroom, Parasect is given defensive perks. These include taking only half the normal damage from attacks, as well as a significant buff to knockback resistance. In addition to the standard defensive advantage given from crouch-canceling attacks, Parasect is given an extra layer of protection that completely halves the knockback it receives from attacks. An attack that would normally guarantee a kill starting at 100% would hit Parasect only half as far, as if it were at 50%. While the act of protection from attacks by crouching is a strong one, it does come with its drawbacks, as Parasect is not necessarily free to simply counterattack, as is normally the case with crouch-canceling. At lower percents, the hitstun is minor enough for Parasect to respond with an attack of its own, as with traditional crouch-canceling. However, at higher percents, it will still take the normal amount of hitstun from an attack, meaning that it's still very possible for the opponent to send Parasect farther than it may be advantageous for it to be. Crouch-shielding, as this practice may be dubbed, is not a crutch to rely on, and is servicable best when hard-reading an attack that Parasect cannot shield. This can be useful, because Parasect's odd frame makes it difficult for anything but a full shield to fully protect it.

The crouch-shielding technique is beaten out completely by two techniques: grabbing and low-sweeping moves. Opponents can simply grab Parasect out of its defensive state, and low-hitting moves, such as most Down Tilts, will actually pop Parasect off of the ground, flipping it onto its back. If Parasect lands on its back, it will teeter on the mushroom as it frantically kicks to reorient itself. It is vulnerable in this position, and can mash out of it to reduce its vulnerability. A quickly reacting Parasect can counteract this counter-technique by teching just as it hits the ground.

WalkParasect scuttles on its thin, insect legs, holding its pincers forward and inward in a sign of defense.

Dash Parasect scuttles as quickly as it can. If facing toward an opponent while dashing, Parasect holds its pincers forward in an aggressive, predatory manner. If facing away from an opponent, Parasect holds its claws low to the ground, as if anxious and attempting to flee.

JumpingParasect thrusts off of the ground the best it can using its four rear legs, holding its pincers up in an almost adorable pose evoking the feeling of whimsy. When using its air jump, Parasect rises while spinning horizontally, similarly to Bowser, though the Pokémon rotates much more slowly and gracefully.

ProneParasect lies on its back, teetering on the mushroom as it flails its legs like most insects would tend to do when laid on their back. This is nearly identical to the animation used when flipped out of its shielding crouch, providing for mindgames ahoy.

SleepingParasect retreats halfway into its mushroom “shell”, remaining perfectly still. Befuddled upon awaking, it hurriedly gets back into a proper fighting stance while glancing around, mouth agape.

LedgesParasect, living in caves and trees, is quite the natural climber. It has no trouble grasping onto ledges with its sharp claws. It even uses its hind legs for support in clamping onto the sides of stage platforms. When teetering on a ledge, Parasect goofily balances on its thin hindlegs, using one pincer to hold onto the mushroom and balance out its heavy weight influence.

Wall ClingIn addition to crawling, Parasect has access to the wall-clinging ability, though it cannot wall-jump, making this rather useless in the Project M environment. Regardless, Parasect simply stands on walls as you'd imagine an insect to do, and will fall from its perch naturally after 2 seconds.

ItemsParasect grips items admittedly awkwardly, using its pincers despite their lack of digits. Suspension of disbelief helps the player accept how this works. Parasect holds battering items in one claw, but uses both claws to operate firearms, with one claw pressing down onto the barrel for steadiness and the other claw clicking the trigger (if applicable).

Special Moves

Neutral Special – Effect Spores

Parasect is best known for its various status-altering spores, dispensed by the tochukaso on its back. This special move allows Parasect to freely choose which type of spore it produces. Pressing the special move button puts Parasect into a standing position, lifting itself as high off the ground as possible while holding its pincers upward as if about to pounce. Inputting a secondary direction on the joystick while Parasect is in this position causes it to use a specific type of spore attack: Stun Spore, Poison Powder, or the simply named Spore. The selectable spore types are as follows:
  • Up – Stun Spore
  • Left/Right – Poison Powder
  • Down – Spore
As soon as one of these commands is given, Parasect shoots out a cloud of appropriate spores from the mushroom. With a single “poof”, a cloud of dusty spores filters into the air, surrounding Parasect. Each attack is similar in concept, having the same start-up time, though with its own individual properties. Stun Spore, represented by thick, yellowish spores, is a slow, lingering cloud that bursts out in a small, character-wide radius around Parasect, falling to the ground at a moderate speed and dissipating when the spores touch flooring. It produces spores that paralyze opponents. Unlike moves such as Zamus' Paralyzer, opponents are not statically frozen in place briefly. Instead, their speed is debuffed, slowing their every action is if they were set to 3/5 speed in Training Mode (if that were an option). This effect is brief, only lasting for 3.5 seconds on average, though it will last only 2 seconds if the opponent is below 50%, and for 5 seconds if they are at 100% or higher. While Stun Spore is slow to travel, has a linear path, and a somewhat small area of effect, its debuff effect can make it extremely helpful.

Poison Powder is a much faster attack, producing magenta spores that resemble a fine powder. The attack is shot upward Parasect's own height, rather than immediately forming around the Pokémon, showering down to the ground where Parasect stood when starting the attack. Poison Powder falls more quickly than Stun Spore, raining downward in a mist that falls at Jigglypuff's dash speed. Opponents exposed to Poison Powder are not debuffed in any way, but they do become poisoned, which produces a “darkness” effect on the enemy while giving them 1-2% damage per second, lasting longer the earlier in the spores' existence the foe makes contact. The initial blast shot out of the mushroom poisons enemies for up to 8 whole seconds, while opponents only have to suffer for 3 seconds if caught by the powder just as it is fading away.

Finally, Spore produces sleep-inducing spores. These are shot out in a ring around Parasect, at mid-body level. The spores travel outward on either side of Parasect quite quickly, at the speed of Ivysaur's Razor Leaf and at the distance of Smashville's floating platform. These spores can be destroyed by any other projectile, but if they contact an opponent, that opponent is put to sleep. Operating under normal sleep status rules, the opponent can break out of sleep early, but overall sleeps longer the higher their percentage.

Parasect can act out of this attack as soon as the spores begin to come out. An opponent cannot have two status conditions applied at once.

Down Special – Growth
For as long as this input is held, Parasect rests its body on the ground, and simply stops in place. It begins concentrating its nutrient absorption into building up the structure of the tochukaso, causing it to grow larger. This is a slow process, taking up to 10 total seconds of charging to see any degree of growth; you don't have to charge it all at once, as the charge is stored. Once enough charging is complete, the tochukaso visibly grows, upping Parasect's weight and size by .25x and reducing its movement speed by the same amount. Another 10 seconds makes the mushroom grow even larger, multiplying these factors by yet another fourth, capping off the amount of growth possible. At max size, the fungus significantly increases Parasect's frame, making it about as large as Bowser, and puts it into the heavyweight class while also making it the slowest-moving character in the game. A bigger shroom comes with big perks as well, though. Crouching under its mushroom “shell”, Parasect is given even more knockback resistance, reducing knockback by a maximum of 2/3 and reducing damage taken to 1/3. However, if the opponent attempts to knock Parasect onto its back, a larger mushroom makes it progressively harder to tech the landing, as Parasect will be knocked even lower into the air and will have less space between the mushroom and the ground, giving it less time to react correctly.

Another advantage of an enlarged fungus is that the spores it produces naturally reach proportionally greater areas of effect, making them overall more potent. This is, in fact, the main advantage to the usage of Growth, and is a biological occurrence that takes place outside of battle for wild Parasect. The mushroom's growth (though not any charge toward growth it may have) is reset upon being KO'd. Using this move with a full-sized mushroom simply causes Parasect to shake the mushroom and expel some overpacked spores, producing a small dust around the mushroom that deals 1-2% damage overall and flinches foes that come into contact with it, helping keep invaders away. That's all done with a tapped input, of course. Hold down the input with an enlarged mushroom (whether Size 2 or Size 3), and Parasect will stop in place, concentrating, and make the mushroom shrink back to default size at will. This process takes just over two seconds, leaving Parasect in a vulnerable state if you don't take precautions.

Side Special – Rage Powder
Hold down the input to charge this move, which sees Parasect release a thick burst of dark green spores in front of itself. The burst of spores is larger the longer the move is charged, with an area of effect ranging from the size of Kirby to the size of Bowser. The spores linger in place for a little over a second, and if an opponent comes into contact with them, they become coated in a dusty layer of itchy, irritating spores, which buzz around the opponent like flies, following them wherever they go. The Rage Powder spores cause the opponent to flinch in pain every 4 seconds, taking no direct damage but making basic actions rather frustrating. The opponent will take 1% of damage every 12 seconds/ 3 flinches, however.

The rage spores are remotely controlled by Parasect's mushroom, and as such, they can only be defeated and removed by attacking Parasect and causing the mushroom to lose control; luckily for the opponent, even while flinching every few seconds, Parasect is too darn slow to simply stall the opponent out by running away. Dealing at least 4% damage to Parasect will nullify an opponent's rage spores, and this goes for all rage spores. If multiple opponents are affected, only one player is required to damage Parasect, which removes the spores from everyone. Of course, if you're purposefully applying Rage Powder to your opponents, you'll be very much aware that the opponent is going to try and hit you as quickly as possible, so you might want to keep in mind the advantages of your crouch-shielding. It'll be awfully hard for a flinching opponent to pull off a grab attempt, after all.

Up Special – Fell Stinger
When used in the air, this land-based cicada nymph has a bit of an unorthodox method of recovery. Parasect joins the tips of its pincers, aiming its body so that they point at a 35° downward angle, and fires a pincer-sized, conical stinger from them. The stinger is shot out like a bullet: extremely quickly and with great force. Enough force, in fact, to launch Parasect backward and upward at the same angle from the recoil. While Parasect is sent about 1.5 Battlefield platorms' distance in a sudden burst, the Fell Stinger projectile is launched at a decline, traveling the same distance at power-tossed item speed before disappearing. The tricky angle and mild distance of the shot makes landing the attack a little technical, though a successful hit is rewarded with 19% damage and horizontal knockback, making the move a strong gimping tool. A direct hit from the stinger's sweetspot, located at its pointed tip, results in a nasty diagonal “spike” that is sure to end off-stage foes. What makes this risky, however, is Parasect's own mediocre off-stage performance. Its limited jumping abilities are no service to returning from long distances, and on top of that, you'll be forced to face away from the stage for many gimp attempts, meaning grabbing the ledge isn't much of an option, as Parasect will enter special fall upon using this move. As a bit of compensation, Parasect's body forms a weak hitbox that deals minor hitstun and 3% damage while under recoil, which is something to enjoy, but not to rely on.

Use this move on the ground instead, and Parasect launches Fell Stinger either straight forward, straight backward, straight upward, or at a 45° incline in either direction, based on how the control stick is held. The speed, distance, and power of the attack is the same as with its aerial incarnation, and Parasect still receives recoil, though this is reduced overall, being halved when firing horizontally, nearly removed diagonally, and nullified completely when firing upward. Different angles of hits provide different knockback results. Diagonal hits are an effective repellent against aerial approaches, and have the same sort of horizontal knockback as the aerial version of this attack. Opponents speared by the Fell Stinger from below, however, are pierced as the stinger flies through them (a cross-shaped wound is left on their body), and become dazed in midair, entering a tumbling state and falling downward. This dazed effect can wear off before the opponent touches the ground, though getting hit in this way would usually imply that you're not far from the ground already. Finally, a straight horizontal hit will, like the upward trajectory shot, daze the opponent, impaling them as the stinger flies through them. Enemies hit in this manner become woozy and collapse, putting them into a tripped state that they are quickly able to react out of.

If a stinger passes through a cloud of spores during its travel, some of the spores will stick to the projectile. Should the projectile hit an opponent, the spores will instantly take effect as they ingrain within the foe's body via the wound the stinger creates. In any instance, the scar left from Fell Stinger remains on the opponent for 9 seconds before healing away (this does not extend the time spent statused).

Standard Ground Attacks

Jab – Scratch
Parasect nonchalantly delivers a simple scratch by swiping a claw in a diagonally downward, inward motion. The scratch leaves the opponent with 3-4% damage. The range is modest, but the move provides some above average stun and has a bit of pushback, though not nearly enough to KO. On top of that, the speed of the attack is quite respectable, coming out and ending rather quickly. It's a fine option for prodding the opponent and buying some time for a more ambitious option.

Forward Tilt – Arthro-Prod
Parasect attacks with both claws now deployed, stabbing with the two limbs simultaneously. With one claw held lower and the other raised up, the two pincers enlarge slightly in exaggeration for this move. Rather quick to come out, this decent prodding attack has deceptive range, hitting almost 2 whole character spaces in front of Parasect, in addition to lingering for several frames. The main hitbox of the attack encompasses the region of both claws, with modest launch strength and 8% damage. The tips of the pincers have a bit more sting to them, dealing more hitstun, on top of 10% damage and higher, horizontal launch power capable of KO'ing at 155%. While a possible KO option, the attack is foremost a prodding, spacing option, which forces foes to respect Parasect's space.

Up Tilt – Mushroom Cloud
Parasect's mushroom throbs, and the Pokémon hops slightly to scatter a flurry of black powder in a crate-sized burst above itself. This spore burst attack is similar to Ivysaur's Usmash, albeit weaker, dealing 8% damage and decent hitstun, with mild radial knockback. The move has average start-up but minor cooldown, and the spores linger as they fall to the ground at the fall speed of a sticker item, dealing minor flinch damage of 1%. Parasect is able to move as soon as the spores begin to fall, allowing it to make use of the spores as a form of cover, so the move can be redemptive when whiffed.

Down Tilt – False Swipe
Parasect's go-to choice when attacking out of a crawl, and the only option it has for immediately attacking out of its crouch while remaining protected. Parasect reaches out from within its “shell” with both foreclaws, stabbing them into the ground in front of itself and then raking them back in, in a swift and fluid motion. Opponents stabbed by the end of Parasect's claws suffer mild knockback and 7-8% damage, while those closer to Parasect are raked for multiple hits that add up to 4-6%. If Parasect's claws overlap with an item, the item will be grabbed and pulled back in, automatically being held by Parasect. The attack has a bit of interruptible startup, but ends practically immediately.

Dash Attack – Carapace Crash
Pitching its claws into the ground in front of itself, Parasect vaults forward, catapulting its body as it flies a few inches in the air for the length of 1.25 SBBs. The move is surprisingly quick to come out, allowing Parasect to make a quick sprint. However, upon touching back down, Parasect's momentum is halted briefly, leaving it vulnerable. Parasect's body serves as a hitbox during this attack's active frames, which last until it lands. Dealing weak horizontal knockback and 8% damage, the move is perhaps better for situational locomotion than as a direct attack. If Parasect hits with its claws during the start of the animation, the opponent suffers 11% and is thrown backwards, behind Parasect, practically guaranteeing a safe landing for the Pokémon.

Grab/Throws

Grab
Parasect grabs out with both claws at once, trying to get a predatory grip on its foe. Once it's landed a grab, it immediately snaps to the foe, climbing onto their torso and holding on with all of its legs. For its grab attack, Parasect administers Leech Life, draining life from its opponent by biting them. Each bite is accompanied by an olive green flash of color on the opponent's model. Every bite, about a second between each, deals 1% damage and heals Parasect by that amount. Even better, if you manage to grab a sleeping opponent, they'll be too unaware to realize they're being vampirized and unable to fight back until the sleep wears off, allowing Parasect a chance to chow down a little longer. The absorbed nutrients also contribute to the building up of Parasect's mushroom, with every 2% drained from the opponent providing a second's worth of charge to Parasect's Growth.

Parasect's grab range is straightly average, as is its grab speed. It has a strong and quick pivot grab, though.

Down Throw – Leech Seed
Parasect presses down on the opponent, causing them to fall onto their back. Still standing atop its prey, Parasect blasts a burst of spores onto the opponent, then rolls off. The opponent takes minor knockback from the burst of spores, but no direct damage. After one second, a small tochukaso mushroom, like those seen on the backs of Paras, sprouts from the opponent's head. Having been infected with a fungal spawn, the opponent begins taking 1% damage per second, with each percentage point being subtracted from Parasect's own damage, and every 2% adding a second of charge to Parasect's Growth timer. The sprouting mushroom can be removed by mashing, as with the similar Lip's Stick flower status, but Parasect can nurture its budding new spawn by applying more spores to the opponent, and once the parasite is past its initial, minimal size, it can no longer be shaken off. Any spore-based attack, such as Up Tilt or a spore powder from Parasect's NSpecial, will foster fungal growth on the opponent while they are infected, increasing the size of the mushroom and causing it to deal more damage every second. The draining effects stack in the same pattern as a Lip's Stick flower, with a full-size mushroom resembling a cap on the opponent's head that looks like Parasect's own mushroom. This even includes other Parasect, which receive second mushrooms sprouting on top of their normal parasites.

If an opponent has a stinger wound on their body, this assists in the infection process, allowing the spores to enter the opponent more easily. When this throw is used on a scarred opponent, a full-sized parasite will immediately sprout on them. Nasty. Unlike a standard flower, a tochukaso parasite larger than the minimum will remain on an opponent's head until Parasect is reprimanded, as with the Rage Powder spores, Parasect's mushroom is in control of the offshoots. The larger the mushroom, the more the opponent will have to lay the smack on Parasect. Generally, what they'll be dealing with is 5% for a minimal growth, 8% for a mid-sized growth, and 12% for a full-sized parasite. Dealing less damage than is required to fully remove the growth will cause it to proportionally shrink, little by little, so even if the opponent fails to deal the necessary amount of damage to remove your devious little gift, keep in mind that they can still remove the growth in increments. There are ways to counteract this, however, as Parasect can prolong the parasite's lifespan by continuing to provide exposure to more spores. Parasect can also synchronize the growth of its own mushroom with that of the opponent. By using Growth while the opponent is infected, the budding parasite will also grow gradually, though as this leaves Parasect vulnerable to attack, it wouldn't be terribly smart to choose this option in the thick of battle.

Up Throw – Cap Bouncer
Parasect forcefully tosses the opponent upward while hopping off of their body. The opponent falls atop the Pokémon's mushroom cap, and with a little heave-ho, they are launched upward off of its bouncy surface. With set vertical knockback, the opponent is sent to the top Battlefield platform from ground-level. At the height of their launch, the opponent is send falling back down in a tumbling state, though they have some directional control over their fall path, and can jump out of this state during a few frames, either at the height of their launch, or near the end of the tumble state. The throw itself deals 6% damage to the opponent. While not a powerful throw on its own, it's certainly viable for throwing enemies into aerial clouds of Stun Spore or Poison Powder, or for buying time to lay down a nice cloud while you're on the ground.

Forward Throw – Piercing Plunge
With sheer primal instinct, Parasect simultaneously sinks both pincers into the opponent, attempting to gore them. The opponent is pushed backwards, with Parasect holding on. The opponent, taking 10% damage, suffers decent horizontal knockback which can KO at 180%. Parasect, pressed into the foe, comes along for the ride. As soon as the opponent is able to act out of hitstun, they are able to attack, which knocks Parasect off. Parasect can abandon ship early and jump off of the opponent at any time, albeit with no second jump. The extra weight that Parasect's presence adds effects the opponent's knockback trajectory and fall-speed, however, making staying on for the long haul sometimes advantageous. If timed correctly, Parasect can footstool the opponent from this position, and if reading the opponent's recovery correctly, this move can end up with Parasect in a good position to land Fell Stinger for a possible gimp.

Backward Throw – Soil Scraper
Parasect drags the opponent across the ground, scraping them as it turns in place. Upon facing backward, Parasect tosses the opponent, letting them fly. This throw has safe, but low knockback strength, dealing 7% damage. The foe is thrown diagonally into the air, and taking into account the opponent's weight and DI, Parasect can smartly throw its opponent straight into a cloud of spores.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash – Giga Drain
Parasect withdraws halfway into its tochukaso “shell”, looking upward as a bright green, shining burst of light forms on the tip of the mushroom. The green light begins emitting swirling extensions of light that elongate and expand in a shallow “bowl” shape, resembling a funnel feeding into the mushroom's tip, as the move is charged. When released, the light source begins pulling in the ribbons of light with a vacuum effect. Opponents within the radius of the “bowl”, whatever its width may be, are pulled in to the center of the mushroom, taking rapid hits that deal 1% damage each, for anywhere between 13% and 18%, based on charge. The mushroom, leeching energy from the opponent, restores Parasect's health by half of the damage dealt, subtracting from its percentage while adding to the opponent's. Hitting multiple opponents at once is an even quicker way to restore your health, making the attack potentially frightening in doubles or FFAs. At the end of the attack, the opponent is launched upward, without much knockback to speak of.

Up Smash, aside from being a health-restoring attack, is yet another way to sustain and nourish Parasect's fungal parasite. As always, every 2% of damage healed off from Giga Drain provides a second of charge for Growth, shedding time off of having to use the Growth move itself.

Down Smash – Seed Bomb
Parasect, facing the screen, rises back on its hind legs, raising its claws to the sky. Somewhat slow to start and telegraphed, Parasect slams back down into the ground, ejecting two projectiles, Seed Bombs, on either side of itself. The seeds are launched from the mushroom, and fly in tiny arcs to either side of Parasect, landing just beside itself simultaneously. The Seed Bombs each deal 14-20% damage, with direct hits by the seeds dealing decent diagonal knockback that can KO at 130%, making them decent last-ditch kill options. Seed Bombs, if they do not hit opponents, have a 1/3 chance of actually sticking around once they land, simply laying on the ground for anyone to pick up and throw. When thrown, they make decently powerful projectiles that deal 12% and which can KO at 145%, so it may end up a mad scramble at times to collect an available seed when it appears.

Unlike the Seed Bombs produced by Ivysaur's Down Special, Parasect's Seed Bombs don't expel a paralyzing fume when they hit the ground and explode. They do, however, release a small, non-damaging burst of spores, which can contribute to fungal growth (albeit minutely), making this move a devious punish for infected foes frantically trying to dodge around your attacks.

Side Smash – X-Scissor
Parasect brings its claws up and apart, crossing them in a quick, violent cross pattern. The range on the attack is minimal compared to similar moves in Parasect's arsenal, but it makes up for it in power, being one of Parasect's few reliable KO options. This cross-chopping motion deals a hefty 15-21%, and has decent start-up and ending speed, though it is certainly punishable when whiffed or shielded. Uncharged, the attack can KO at 125%, and around 105% with a full charge.

Aerial Attacks

Up Aerial – Parascissors
Parasect looks upward, slicing above itself with both pincers in an X pattern. The attack, enacted and ended quickly, is comparable to Wolf's Uair, making for a great hit out of a shorthop, though fastfalling this move can prove dangerous due to its high landing lag. The attack range leaves a bit to be desired, though the attack is an excellent potential juggler if connected consistently, a feat easier said than done. 11% damage is dealt, with decent vertical knockback that scales slowly.

Forward Aerial – Fury Cutter
Parasect lashes out with one claw in an overhead slicing motion. The attack is extremely quick, hitting with a speed, strength, and appearance similar to Sheik's Fair, making it a very strong SHFFL option. Advancing or retreating Fairs are Parasect's strongest aerial pressure option, supplying a fast, relatively safe, meaty hit. The move deals 9% damage and has decent kill potential, KO'ing around 130%. It's a bit less kill-capable than Sheik's Fair, though, and isn't safe on shield when landing, so it's not the Swiss army knife of aerial attacks. Nonetheless, Parasect can short-hop around and throw this move out to attempt aerial aggression when need be, guaranteeing this move's place as Parasect's bread and butter aerial attack.

Backward Aerial – Cordeception
Parasect quickly performs a 180-turn and uses a single pincer, slightly enlarged, to slice upward in an uppercutting motion for 8%. This actually knocks the opponent at a slight downward angle, making it a gimp-capable technique, though its range is small and the attack is quick enough to require precision timing to land, similarly to Mewtwo's Fair. Parasect also reorients itself to face backward when using this move, allowing it to shift its gameplan quickly while airborne. It's a viable option, for example, to use the move with the intention to turn around and use Fell Stinger for a more successful recovery attempt. At middling percents, this move's knockback trajectory actually pairs quite well with Fell Stinger's own range, allowing the two moves to make a successful, and potentially deadly, combo.

Down Aerial – Rototiller
Parasect faces downward, and begins spinning with its claws held forward, mimicing a drilling motion. This multi-hit attack has a weak vacuum pull and traps opponents for a maximum of 12% damage before releasing the opponent outward with mild strength. The attack rarely works as a kill move, and the landing lag is a tad nasty, but when used among a shower of spores, the spores will be twirled around and blown outward on either side of Parasect. The two divided clouds of spores travel outward at Jigglypuff's air speed for a distance of 1 SBB, allowing them to rain down at two areas at once.

Neutral Aerial – Thallus Spread
Parasect extends all of its limbs, mouth agape, hitting with its legs and claws. The attack is a bit delayed to come out, and the range is quite limited. On top of this, the attack deals minimal knockback and only 6-7%, with a good deal of landing lag (when not canceled, at least). A rather standard type of Nair emblematic of Parasect's weaker air game, it nonetheless does its job as a pressure breaker and can be a good mix-up option, especially as most players will be attempting to DI assuming a Fair is coming most of the time.

Final Smash
Mega Medicinal Mushroom

Parasect turns to face the screen, and its mushroom immediately begins growing out of control to humongous sizes. In a little over a second, the mushroom becomes exactly large enough to obscure all of Battlefield's platforms. Suddenly, the mushroom explodes, creating an enormous burst of multi-colored spores of all kinds in its place. This explosive blast of fungal reproductive cells deals up to 45% damage in one blow, KO'ing enemies starting around 80%. All of Parasect's damage is immediately healed away, and a dormant mushroom grows back in place on its back to replace the previous one.

Playstyle
Mind-Controlling Spore Warrior

Parasect's prime concern is crippling the opponent. Parasect is slow, not too mobile, susceptible to early falls, and generally isn't too impressive of a specimen under default circumstances. Rather than focusing only on buffing itself to compensate, this parasitic Pokémon is much more interested in dragging threats down to its level. The Effect Spores are designed to give Parasect the options it needs to win any situation, so long as it goes about using them smartly. Because the opponent is largely unaware of what type of spore Parasect will attempt to use, this requires both parties to participate in predictive play with one another. The “spore clouds” (Stun Spore and Poison Powder) are great for creating threatening zones, which not only provide Parasect with stage control, but also grant it a means by which to keep the opponent on their toes. They are perhaps more useful for controlling the way the opponent thinks and acts than for their actual effects. This being said, their status inflictions are invaluable to Parasect, and allow the symbiotic entity to turn the tide of the match frequently. Spore, when compared to its counterparts, is a more specialized spore attack that inflicts a nastier status condition at the cost at having less of a technical presence in Parasect's playstyle, generally requiring precision and smart reads/punishes to land on the opponent; its rewards, however, can be the deciding factor in a match, from giving Parasect more health recovery to simply giving it a kill confirm.

The predictive style of play is perhaps most obvious with Parasect's crouch-shielding, which improves its survivability, but when used unwisely, can hasten its defeat. Parasect likes to do things passively. Why rush in and combo the opponent to their doom when you can just sap their health with toxins and fungal parasites? Why not let the opponent hit you if you're going to take less damage and they'll be right up in your turf to get stuck in a cloud of status-inducing spores anyway? But if you rely solely on that one-way train of thought, you'll soon come to realize that the opponent has ways around your passive tactics, whether they be flipping you on your back, pestering you with projectiles, or simply learning to work around your defensive capabilities and baiting you out of your own comfort zone. Parasect cannot truly force the opponent to play its game. Instead, where it excels is in getting into the opponent's head and tempting them to sabotage themselves, at a lesser cost to Parasect itself. Parasect laughs at damage leads, easily able to reverse the stock relationship. Between reducing damage by crouching and healing scary amounts of health through various means, Parasect has the tools necessary in sustaining itself and prolonging its existence, even when it appears to be as good as done for.

Parasect can be quite the defensive powerhouse, healing itself of damage and crippling the opponent while also growing its fungal protection to up the ante of its defenses even further. It's all about self-preservation for Parasect, even while it baits the opponent to come straight for it. Parasect enjoys aggression being used against it, and its own passive-aggressive gameplan truly comes into the fold when the opponent has little option other than to rush Parasect down. While Parasect's size and speed make it very realistically combo fodder, it's just as capable of using its opponent's offensive approach to its advantage. Waiting out the opponent and forcing interactions and trades that Parasect wins out in are its forté, preferring its foes to be at higher percents before it puts them into a position where they'll want to try and end the stock as soon as possible, so that it can lay on the crippling statuses and ensure a finishing blow. In rare occasions, Parasect can end a stock early by going for a gimp, though it's important to note how risky this course of action is for Parasect, so it's to be encouraged that such attempts are made after securing a comfortable lead through more appropriately Parasectian tactics first.

Extra Stuff

Taunts
  • Up Taunt Parasect releases a purely aesthetic puff of spores from the tip of its mushroom cap, appearing to sneeze or cough while doing so.

• Side TauntParasect shimmies back and forth a few times, ending by brandishing its claws, holding them up in a threatening manner.

• Down Taunt Parasect holds its head up, with its pincers crossed in front of its neck. It pulls them apart, posing with them held out at its sides.
Results Screen
  • Victory 1Parasect turns from facing sideways to look at the camera, releasing a burst of spores as it says its name.

• Victory 2Parasect, appearing to be angry or boastful, releases a ring of spores which land around it in a circle. Small tochukaso sprout in place, forming a fairy ring.

• Victory 3Parasect looks upward at the mushroom on its back, muttering its name while gently rubbing its brim with a foreleg.

• DefeatParasect, the soulless zombie that it is, doesn't clap, or show any real sign of emotion for that matter, instead just swaying back and forth.
Battle EntranceParasect is sent out from a Poké Ball which falls onto the stage.

Kirby HatKirby obtains a hat that resembles Parasect's mushroom, as well as featureless, white eyes. A second mushroom grows on top of this mushroom hat in the context of being under the effect of Parasect's Dthrow.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Why do you think I never posted anything last contest?
I can assure you that the sin of sloth is one of the chief enemies of moveset makers.
OK thanks for the responses.
BTW @ ChaosKiwi ChaosKiwi did you reply to my feedback on your Chibi-Robo moveset? Because on this thread I want to be sure that I rate every single moveset, and I rated yours in my feedback as a 7/10 and that you could make some improvements, and I need to rate the final versions of all moveset for it to be fair, so I can vote in this contest.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Barney is "patched", so to speak.
Full change log:
Neutral Aerial gets additional info
Special position in general
Up Special gains additional info and properties
Slightly buffed Jab Combo
Removed Strength. Meaningless stat that doesn't necessarily reflect the moveset.
Down Special gets some revision and additional info
Mildly buffed Up Aerial
Neutral Special gets additional info and properties

EDIT: Next character is either a video game character from SNK or a sci-fi movie character, but it won't be released for a bit.

Last edited:

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Yes Toca I read your feedback but never got around to replying, thanks for reminding me.

His jump stat doesn't mean he has three jumps. It means on scale of 1 to 10, his jump height is a 3.

I didn't mention the lack of charge based changes in every single move that was unaffected because doing so would be tedious and unnecessary. It's implied that unless a change is mentioned there isn't one.

His crawl/dash/wall jump weren't mentioned because they weren't necessary. Stuff like that generally goes in extras/animations sections, which I don't really do.
His aerial mobility is the stat "Aerial/Air Speed".

bair op plz nerf

down aerial:

But yeah I'm not gonna edit it really. I'm fine with how it is and don't really wanna waste any more time with this particular set. No passion for it.

Also, everyone get hype for a new Starman later.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Commentary dump so I feel like I'm actually contributing something.

You're a kid You're a squid You're a kid You're a squid You're a kid You're a squid You're a ki-
This set runs into some problems with characterization and practicality concerning balance. In a tournament setting, Inkling could be a nightmare to face against, as its wide range of moveset variation can make the matchup difficult to learn; on the other hand, it could make learning the matchup more interesting. The sheer amount of customization that Inkling's custom moves provide is commendably in-character, regardless. Every custom move changes the playstyle and alters much of the moveset, so you truly feel like you're playing the role you choose, as in Splatoon. The other negative I see with this characteristic, however, is that because the moveset can vary so much, there's a bit of a lack in playstyle cohesiveness, with some moves feeling like filler. Some moves, such as the Fair, feel tacky with their random gimmicks, where more simplistic moves would have sufficed. The decision to have the Inkling shoot ink from its hands, Spidey-web style, is also something I will call into question. I suppose it's something we'd all assume they'd probably have the ability to do, but since it never crops up in the gameplay of Splatoon itself, it's odd to see it make up so much of the moveset here, especially since the set works best when incorporating the various weapons. These types of ink-based attacks don't add much to the playstyle, and I can't help but feel that it may have been a better idea to have just fit as many different weapons into the standard moves as possible, Mega Man style.

The usage of the ink gauge is good, and handled fairly well within the context of the set. Most moves use up about as much ink as they logically should. The incorporation of the squid form and its mechanics also feels tight and replicates the gameplay of the source game well, though the set did leave me wishing to see the squid implemented more in actual attacks. For the most part, Inkling feels very in-character and I think it does a pretty decent job at representing the source game, though it also leaves me with the suspicion that adapting Splatoon into the Smash environment may be a somewhat messy process. There isn't much to outright criticize on an individual level, that I can find at least, but the fact that Inkling has so much variety at play does hinder the cohesiveness of the overall playstyle, I feel. In a way, this actually does go a ways in capturing the pragmatism of gameplay in Splatoon, so I suppose if any character had to have a sort of aimlessness to their gameplan, Inkling is the best one to suffer from that.

SealsTeamSixDramon
This set hasn't seemed to have gotten much buzz since it was posted, which is unfortunate because I think it's quite good. Is it because of the TBD playstyle section? I'm gonna give some commentary on it anyway. Sealsdramon's strength is as much psychological as it is tangible, with his very well-thought out and integrated cloaking mechanic, painfully stacking-oriented back wound system, and homing projectiles, making him quite terrifying simply to fight against. While the character is obviously top tier material amongst the canon cast, I do appreciate how you give the opponent a fighting chance and didn't make Sealsdramon absolutely unbeatable. A good example to note is the Up Tilt grenades, which can be deflected back at Sealsdramon. While this forces the enemy to put in more work than simply making the grenades detonate when hit, it gives them more of an opportunity to fight back against Sealsdramon, instead of just being able to nullify his projectiles without making any real progress themselves.

Sealsdramon is one of the scariest MYM sets to fight against, not because he's any more powerful and devastating than other sets, but simply because the opponent rarely sees any of that devastating power coming. Getting hit by Fsmash or Up Special without any prior warning would be absolutely terrifying, and that deals psychological blows just as strong as the physical attacks themselves. Sealsdramon's playstyle really brings out a new depth of psychological factors into the game, something only great movesets tend to achieve.

Green Eggs and Slams (and Exeggcute)
I'll just start by saying that I do like Exeggutor, both as a Pokémon and as a moveset. I'm actually somewhat fond of this set because I see a lot of my own style in it, and it feels like something I would've written maybe a year or two ago. That is not to say it doesn't have its problems. In fact, in seeing a lot of my own style in Exeggutor, I'll be the first to point that out. Pretty much every criticism I've seen made of Exeggutor so far has been valid. The concept starts off strong, and throughout the set there are little moments of impressive creativity, but the creativity flounders a lot as well, and about half of the inputs honestly feel phoned in as a result. The idea of using the Exeggcute as power sources which are to be both guardians and guarded themselves provides an interesting duality that is rarely seen in "puppet" sets of the sort. I like the idea of the Exeggcute working like solar batteries that channel their energy to Exeggutor. Defensively, they're used quite well, and moves such as Stomp and the Back Aerial showcase this aspect while providing some nice, fleshed out characterization that one can tell comes straight from the writer themselves.

My main problem with Exeggutor stems from how the Exeggcute are used offensively. It seems that you just took the idea of Exeggutor stomping/slamming on the Exeggcute and shooting them as projectiles and ran with it. It usually works well in the moves that make use of it, but I don't think all of these moves have enough differentiation between them, thusly making the Exeggcute come off as stale and underutilized in the offensive department. Exeggutor in general just has way too many generic stomping/slamming moves. I understand that an armless tree isn't the easiest character to make a diverse list of melee attacks from, but that doesn't mean it makes the moveset any less dull at points. I'd say the moveset's best aspects are seen in features like the interplay between the two Pokémon and how they can assist one another in extending combos, and in the usage of Exeggcute as attack charge enhancers/storage. Where the set falters is where it struggles to flesh out these strengths or bring them to another level, resorting to repeated inputs and moves that serve the same general function.

Batman
Though the set goes into pretty sufficient detail in most cases, there were a few times I was left somewhat confused. For example, I assume the Bat-Grapple can grab ledges or at least the sides of stages themselves, but that's never truly specified. For the vast majority of the set, however, descriptions are concise yet informative, even despite the terse language. The characterization really shines through here, from the writing style to the overall portrayal of Batman. Most, if not all, of Batman's quintessential abilities and mannerisms are present in the moveset, and they work exactly as they should. Positively, there's a lot of trickery and stealth involved, with some nice move interactions that feel natural and manage to avoid feeling flowcharty, in contrast to the simple bruiser playstyle sometimes envisioned of the character. The gliding and sneak mechanics in particular are both nice spins on concepts I've seen done more poorly before. I'd say this could very well be your best set in a while, as the only weaknesses I recognize in it are some spelling mistakes and the simple fact that it's not complex enough to win an award for sheer creativity. The playstyle itself flows well, works well, and accomplishes its creation of a satisfying Batman moveset. Very qualified for a RV or WV.

Barney
No joke, the Barney movie was actually pretty good, for real. Something I find really great about this set is how a lot of the material is actually pulled from the show, and not just made up completely. It's written as if the author is either a disgruntled parent who's seen way more of the show than they would have liked to, or an actual fan of the show who knows more about it than would be socially acceptable. Either way, it makes the set a much more humorous read than it already is. Moves like the STOP sign come off as odd until you realize how much sense it actually makes, and then it just becomes more amusing.

Barney, at least before the edits made, was an underpowered character with some overpowered moves. Now, he just...exists. It's hard to analyze Barney, because it's pretty much impossible to take the set seriously. The set itself comes off as a parody of the universally hated "pacifist" archetype, though it hilariously pulls this off by using a character that ironically fits that archetype perfectly, playing the role completely straight. Barney is at the very least playable; his non-violent moves actually deal damage, though he doesn't have much in the way of a playstyle. Almost all of Barney's attacks work independently of one another, with no greater purpose than to deal damage, even if unintentional on the character's part (making his characterization here hilariously close to that of Baloney the Dinosaur, for great cosmic justice). The Up Special's flight path being affected by Barney using his aerials is pretty neat, and is probably the stand-out idea used in the set. The playstyle is still lacking, of course, and practically nonexistent, beyond "being good at keeping people away", but even that begs the question of why Barney is so effective at playing keep-away when his main goal is to befriend everyone.

Last edited:

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Hi im quite new to smashboards and I want to enter Make Your Move for the first time :3

I've had a little experience with making movesets, most are on paper but the one i want to post here is about 99% done (except the forward and back aerials are living hell to think of for some reason.).

Im on wikia most of the time and I know barely anything when it comes to forum code and stuff, like adding pictures, colored text and other things like font sizes. Is there any kind of guidebook here i could read to learn a thing or two?

Also I hope to make quite a few movesets on here and ill make sure to give feedback on other's throughout the year :3

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Hi im quite new to smashboards and I want to enter Make Your Move for the first time :3

I've had a little experience with making movesets, most are on paper but the one i want to post here is about 99% done (except the forward and back aerials are living hell to think of for some reason.).

Im on wikia most of the time and I know barely anything when it comes to forum code and stuff, like adding pictures, colored text and other things like font sizes. Is there any kind of guidebook here i could read to learn a thing or two?

Also I hope to make quite a few movesets on here and ill make sure to give feedback on other's throughout the year :3
Welcome to the boards, and to MYM! Can't wait to see your first set! :) The formatting tools can be found at the top of the posting box for the most part. Just select the text you want to apply it to and hit the icon (or just hit it to apply it to whatever you type next). If you want a specific font, type [font="<Font name as it appears in, say, Microsoft Word>" ]text[/font], without the space before the bracket. Just remember that not all browsers have all fonts (i.e. mobile devices).

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Ugh im having a hard time making colors and text sizes on whiteboards

when i hit color it gives me somthing like -[COLOR=orange-] and im not sure how to make text that color

also how do i center text as well

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

when i hit color it gives me somthing like -[COLOR=orange-] and im not sure how to make text that color

I would suggest just typing it in the forums themselves, but saving it to another source as a backup. It's a lot easier to get the formatting done here, at least when you plan to post it here. Just be aware that it'll delete your draft if you go a few days or so without saving if, but you should be able to get away with just changing a letter or something and hitting "save draft" (from the floppy disk icon).

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

I recommend typing it up yourself in Notepad, then copy-pasting it to SWF.

For Color, you do *COLOR=colorname OR #colorcode*, with stars being replaced by [ and ] at the ends (I used stars so that it doesn't just code my post). Then you write what you want and close the tags with */color*, again with stars replaced by [ and ].

For centering, you do *center* (Again w/ stars) then put your text in, then end it with */center*.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Reason I haven't gotten a moveset up yet is mostly lack of frequent access to the computer I have it saved on. Also that I have no idea what to do for this character's Up and Down Aerials, or the Up Special customizations, and I'm not sure I like her current Back Aerial. (Also I haven't actually written out the Up Special or the second Down Special customization.)

I might edit it into this post when I finish it.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Yes Toca I read your feedback but never got around to replying, thanks for reminding me.

His jump stat doesn't mean he has three jumps. It means on scale of 1 to 10, his jump height is a 3.

I didn't mention the lack of charge based changes in every single move that was unaffected because doing so would be tedious and unnecessary. It's implied that unless a change is mentioned there isn't one.

His crawl/dash/wall jump weren't mentioned because they weren't necessary. Stuff like that generally goes in extras/animations sections, which I don't really do.
His aerial mobility is the stat "Aerial/Air Speed".

bair op plz nerf

down aerial:

But yeah I'm not gonna edit it really. I'm fine with how it is and don't really wanna waste any more time with this particular set. No passion for it.

Also, everyone get hype for a new Starman later.
But there wouldn't be any point in pointing out that his head isn't a hitbox because it would never come in contact with anyone...
Thanks for the response BTW

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
My entry for Iron Memer.
"Rejēndo! Rejēndo! Buttamagēndō!"
Hanasakajii

Hanasakajii (Which roughly translates to "Blooming Flower") is a Legendary Yo-Kai of the Pokapoka ("Warm") class of Yo-Kai. He has the power to grow cherry trees anywhere he spreads his magical flower petals, including on people's heads, which makes them incredibly happy. He was found by Keita in an old mansion, where he started planting plants on people's heads and made them do a silly dance. After taking on the persona of Professor Lenkon, Keita discovered him and got him to remove the flowers, becoming friends with Hanasakajii in the process.

Stats:
Weight: 2
Size: 2
Speed: 6
Air Speed: 10
Fall Speed: 2
Jump: 7

Specials:
Side Special - Petal Gust

Hanasakajii takes some strange dust out of the basket in his right arm, and the throws it forward, where the dust suddenly turns into around 10 small petals. The petals are around the size of a Deku Nut, in other words, very small. The throw itself creates a very short windbox of average strength, which is only truly able to push super light characters like Hanasakajii himself at a noticeable pace, but can still slightly push heavier characters. The windbox lasts around 3.5 seconds and moves forwards with the petals. The petals themselves can spread themselves around 3 Stage Builder blocks forward, with each petal dropping every 0.35 seconds. Once the petals drop, they remain on the ground, which will come into play later. Each petal also causes 1% damage and virtually no knockback, so if you manage to combo the petals, which you can do if you manage to corner an opponent, you can cause 10% damage to them. The gust can also push petals on the ground forward.

Petals act as an item once they drop, with opponents being able to pick up and throw them. Of course, the petals still act the same, floating in front of the opponent for 0.35 seconds before it drops back to the ground. It still causes 1% damage if it manages to hit an opponent. All this will function if the petals are manipulated by an attack that can move them around. Hanasakajii can actually aim the petals as well, by holding the button and aiming the control stick in any of the 8 directions. The petals can go through platforms, which makes spreading them much easier. We'll get to that later.​

Up Special - Sakura Firecracker
With a gust of wind, Hanasakajii launches up into the air, spinning around as he does so. Once he reaches the peak of his vertical movement, he throws out a circle of dust around him, which quickly transforms into a pink outline of a 5-petaled sakura flower, which itself spawns around 5 petals, one for each of the outline's petals. An odd move that's split into two parts, each with their own hitboxes. First of all, the gust of wind pushes Hanasakajii up around 3 Stage Builder blocks upward. The first part is the spinning, and with Hanaskajii's pointy head, makes it a viable weapon, causing 2% damage for every hit, which can total up to 5 hits in its travel distance, totaling at 10% damage. The second part is the explosion, which causes 5% damage, plus whatever damage comes from them accidentally hitting the petals that spawn out. Hanasakajii can also slightly control the angle of the jump as well, moving either upward, right diagonally upward, or left diagonally upward. The jump will actually cause any nearby petals to be sucked up into the jump.

Down Special - Blooming Sakura
In a slightly laggy animation, Hanasakajii sprinkles some dust onto the ground, which causes a small flower to pop out of the ground. The flower acts as a construct, with 10% HP, making it incredibly weak, and is about half as tall as Olimar. Every second it will spawn a petal. After 5 seconds of existing, the flower will turn into a small tree, which has 20% HP, is about as tall as Kirby, and spawns 2 petals every second. After 10 seconds of waiting, the small tree will turn into a medium size tree that is about the size and width of Mario, has 35% HP and spawns 2 petals every half second. Once it reaches tree form, it becomes a wall, meaning opponents cannot walk through it. After 30 seconds of growing, the tree will turn into an incredibly large tree, about the size of 1.5 Ganondorfs and one Bowser wide, with 50% HP, and spawns 3 petals every half second. The petals still act as projectiles, and launch out of the plant in random arcs, and still cause 1% damage. This move is incredibly useful for spawning petals, but Hanasakajii can only plant one at a time, and due to the amount of time it takes to fully grow, makes it incredibly inconvenient. However, if you get it to fully grow, it can become an invaluable tool. How you ask? Well...

Neutral Special - Power of the Wind
Hakasakajii sits down and enters a praying stance, which creates a large burst of wind around him that pushes any nearby opponents far away. After that... nothing happens? Well, not exactly, you see, this instead shifts your control from Hakasakajii to a large controllable windbox that is around the size of Bowser. Now, remember those petals we kept talking about? This is the move that makes use of them.

You see, Hakasakajii can have around 100 petals on the stage at the same time, and when this windbox travels over any of them, they will start collecting in it, becoming controllable projectiles. The windbox can only carry 50 of them, which will functionally turn the windbox into Thunder Tackle. The difference is, of course, that it is far weaker, only causing 0.5% per petal, which means the damage caps off at 25%. The windbox also travels very fast, about as fast as Thunder Tackle. Obviously, you will want to spread the petals in order to make them easier to get, which is what moves like the Side and Down specials are for. Also, if the windbox itself touches an opponent, it will do nothing.

Also of note is that after you cause 5% damage with a petal, it will spawn a flower on the opponent's head. This behaves like a normal flower effect, but must be hit with another 5% damage in order to make it grow and cause more damage.
The move can be cancelled out of at any time by pressing the B button again, and can also be instantly cancelled by being hit by an opponent. Both results will cause the wind box to explode harmlessly, sending the petals flying, which turns them back into projectiles, but most likely will send them off the stage​

Standards
Jab - Petal Puff
Hanasakajii takes out a small bit of dust from his basket, and throws it, turning it into a cloud of pink dust and 1 petal. The puff of dust is very, very small, and has a very tiny hitbox but if used in range, the petal will always hit the opponent, which, combined with the puff's 4% damage, will cause 5%, always resulting in a flowering. However, this flower is much easier to shake off than most, but it still helps. The throw will cause any nearby petals to move forward a bit. Anytime a petal is described as being "moved" by an attack, this will always mean that it acts as an active hitbox, causing the same amount of damage a petal usually would.

Forward Tilt - Petal Push
In an animation similar to his jab, Hanasakajii takes some dust out of his basket, but instead of throwing it, he blows it forward, creating a more horizontally focused cloud of pink dust that continues forward for 3 Stage Builder blocks at around half of Luigi's Fireball speed.. This move acts as a slight projectile, as the cloud trails behind a petal until it reaches the edge of the 3rd Stage Builder block. The petal acts as a sweet spot and abnormally causes 7% damage, before turning back into a normal petal once it hits something or reaches its maximum distance. The cloud itself is about half as tall as Hanasakajii, and causes 4% damage to anyone who touches it. After reaching its maximum distance, the cloud will hang in the air for a half second before disappearing. The cloud will push along any petals on the ground until it reaches it's destination.

Up Tilt - Cloud of Flower
Doing a short spin, Hanasakajii takes some dust and throws it up into the air, creating a slightly large pink cloud above his head. This attack spawns 2 petals, which slowly drift down from the left and right sides of the cloud. Both petals act as normal petals. The cloud itself is fairly large, as tall as Olimar, and about as wide as two Pikachus. The cloud is, of course the main part of this attack, as it causes 8% damage when touched. However, the cloud only lasts a short while, and after a second and a half. Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention was that you can only have one of any cloud type move out at once, and using the same move again will cause it to the previous use of the move to disappear. The cloud will actually draw in grounded petals below it, pushing them up slightly when it is created.

Down Tilt - Plant a Seed
Leaning down a bit, Hanasakajii plants a small seed into the ground, in a vaguely similar animation to his Down Special. However, this move is very different as, after a moment, a small flower will pop out of the ground, which, if an opponent is near, will cause 2% damage. The flower will remain on the stage for around 5 seconds, each second growing a petal, totaling it up to 5 petals once its lifespan ends. Like the other flower it only has 10% HP. Once the flower's time runs out, or it gets destroyed by an opponent, it will shoot off all of its petals at surprisingly high speeds in random directions, with each petal causing 5% damage to anyone who touches it while it is flying around. If destroyed by an opponent, it will simply fire off however many petals it managed to grow in the time it was alive.

Dash Attack - Petal Tornado
While dashing, Hanasakajii bursts into a full twirl, spinning dust around him as he goes, which creates a pink tornado effect around him. Hanasakajii himself acts as the hitbox here, causing 7% damage to anyone he touches. The spin itself lasts around 3 full rotations, and travels around 1.5 Stage Builder blocks before stopping at a fairly decent speed. Every full rotation, Hanasakajii will drop a petal onto the ground, allowing him to create up to 3 petals every time he uses it. The spin will drag along any petals it runs by, taking them along until the attack ends.

Smashes
Forward Smash - Big Blow

Hanasakajii takes out a large amount of dust from his basket, takes a very deep breath, and then blows the dust forward, creating an incredibly large pink cloud of dust. The resulting cloud is big, and when I say big, I mean about as tall and as wide as Bowser. This cloud also spawns out a number of petals, which changes depending on the charge. At lowest charge it only spawns 3, while at highest charge it spawns 7 petals. The cloud is a massive hitbox on it's own, with it's damage, of course, changing depending on how long its been charged for. At lowest it causes 13% damage on touch, while at highest charge it causes 18% damage. The move has very little knockback, like most of the cloud moves, but it stays up for a very long time, around 4 seconds in total, before disappearing. Like the jab, this attack pushes grounded petals away from the cloud, but this one pushes them much, mush farther and higher.

Up Smash - Sakura Explosion
Hanasakajii throws up 3 or 5 (It depends on the charge) dust clouds, which then proceed to explode into sakura flower shaped explosions. The dust is always thrown in random directions so sometimes you will end up with two explosions overlapping each other. However, the explosions are always situated to explode almost directly above Hanasakajii's head, meaning that this move is still fairly easy to hit with. Each explosion spawns a petal, which will fly off in a random direction as well. The explosions each have their own hitbox and cause 6% damage at lowest charge, and 8% damage at the highest charge, but due to the attack's both rather wide, and rather enclosed range, this can easily total up to 18% damage and 26% damage respectively This is by far Hanasakajii's most powerful move, capable of KOing an average weighted character at around 120%, and is basically his only true KO move. Any petals underneath the explosions will be popped upward into the air.

Down Smash - Nature Grows
Hanasakajii, in a surprisingly quick move, plants a seed on both sides of himself, which then burst up from the ground, turning into two large sakura flowers, which both have large hitboxes that are about as wide as Hanasakajii and about 1/3rd taller than him as well. The flowers only exist for a brief moment, and, once their time is up, burst into 6 petals, 3 for each flower, which slowly drift from their locations. The flowers are fairly powerful, doing 15% damage at lowest charge, and 24% damage at highest charge. They also have decent knockback capabilities, being able to KO at 145%.

Aerials
Neutral Aerial - Flower Flash

Hanasakajii throws dust all around him, creating a kind of shield of pink dust around him. This shield is barely wider than Hanasakajii, and only a bit taller than him too. The hitbox can be compared to Kirby's NAir, however, the hitbox only exists in the place it was created for around .75 seconds, and after it is created, Hanasakajii will continue falling downward. The attack makes for a decent air getaway, as, when an opponent touches the cloud, it will cause 10% damage and stop them in their tracks. The attack also creates 2 petals, both of which fly out of a random part of the cloud. If used near the ground, it will cause the grounded petals to pop upwards. Aerial petals will be drawn towards the shield.

Forward Aerial - Pollen Fever
Hanasakajii takes out some dust, but accidentally sneezes, sending the dust forward a bit, and separating it into two pink dust clouds. The dust clouds, due to the sneeze, actually travel fairly far, about 1/3rd of a Stage Builder block forward, in fact. Halfway through the travel, the dust cloud will split into two, with one going at a slight upward arc, and the other traveling forward. During the brief moment where the clouds are one, it will cause 15% damage, while when separated, they will cause 12% damage, with very little chance of comboing into the next, due to it stopping all momentum the opponent had on contact. The split clouds only stay in the air for a brief .50 seconds. Once the clouds split into two, they will release two petals that drift downward slowly. Also, if the single cloud makes contact, it will instantly disappear. Airborne petals will either be dragged toward the upward or the downward cloud, depending on how close they are to which one.

Up Aerial - Cloud of Dust
In an animation slightly similar to his UTilt, Hanasakajii throws up a large amount of dust above his head, creating a rather large cloud of pink dust above his head. The cloud, while seeming similar to the UTilt cloud, is actually larger than it, being about a Kirby and a half tall, and two Kirbys wide. This attack, like the other aerials, will instantly stop any momentum that the opponent has gained in the air if they make contact with it, and will also cause 14% damage as well. It will also spawn 3 petals from random areas of the cloud, each of which will float downward. The cloud will actually suck in any nearby petals, whether they be on the ground or air.

Back Aerial - For Good Luck
Hanasakajii tosses some dust over his shoulder, in a rather careless and absentminded way. The dust simply creates a medium sized cloud behind him, which is about as big as a Party Ball. This is a rather simple move, as it, like the other aerials, stops opponents in their tracks when they get by it, and causes 13% damage. The move also only creates one petal, which floats downward. The cloud will actively push away any petals close to it.

Down Aerial - Seed Bomb
Hanasakajii pulls out a small seed, which he accidentally drops downward. The seed is very small, about as big as a Deku Nut, but this makes it Hanasakajii's most powerful aerial, as, when it hits an opponent, it will explode into 4 petals, causing 16% damage, and causing decent downward knockback as well. The seed falls very quickly, taking only about .25 seconds to reach the bottom platform of Battlefield from the very top of the screen. If the seed manages to miss, and hits the ground, it will sprout into a small flower, which will then explode into 4 petals, and does 16% damage to anyone caught in the blast.

Grab Game
Grab and Pummel

Due to Hanasakajii's... rather small size, his grab is equally short, simply being an odd hugging animation that has barely any range. On most characters, being grabbed by Hanasakajii will result in him grabbing onto their legs. On characters like Kirby and Pikachu, this will be turned into a full body grab. The pummel is also fairly simple, with Hanasakajii slamming his rather blunt head into the opponent, causing 2% damage.

Forward Throw - Petal Possession
Hanasakajii quickly climbs the opponent and places a petal on their head, which quickly blooms into a 3 pronged flower. After the flower blooms, Hanasakaji ends the grab. So, what does this flower do exactly? Well, every half second the opponent will take 2% damage without any flinching or knockback, and after around 3 seconds of this, the opponent will burst into a goofy dance where they will point their fingers upward and chant "Happy Happy!". This will cause 3 petals to be summoned from the flower on their head. The dance only lasts about a quarter of a second, and the possession only lasts for about 10 seconds before the flower disappears, meaning that the attack can summon up to 9 petals in one use. The flower can be rid of through a surprisingly simple mean, however, as being struck with an attack that causes 20% damage will instantly cause the flower to die. Also, the dance does not interfere with aerial movement, where, instead of the dance, the opponent will simply say the chant and the 3 petals will be summoned. Any opponent under this possession will actually become a petal magnet, attracting any petals they walk over, which will form into a large shield around them, functionally turning them into a living hitbox for Hanasakajii's flowers.

Up Throw - Sprouting Sakura
Hanasakajii drops from his grab, and then plants a seed at the opponent's feet, which then sprouts a medium sized sakura tree under their feet, launching them upwards and causing 10% damage with good upward knockback, of course. After the tree is planted, it will pretty much automatically disappear and turn into 3 petals.

Back Throw - Sneezing Trip
Hanasakajii takes out some dust, but accidentally sneezes, blowing the dust and causing him to fall over, taking the opponent down with him in a sort of suplex, which causes some minor stun, and causes 8% damage. Despite Hanasakajii seemingly being pinned under the opponent, he manages to squirm his way out rather quickly. This throw will also cause any petals that the opponent lands on to be sprung into the air.

Down Throw - Relax and Sit Down
Hanasakajii blows some dust at the opponent, which summons 2 petals. The pink cloud that forms around the opponent will cause 6% damage, and will instantly cause the opponent to enter a "trip" animation, which lasts for half the time as a regular trip. This attack will also cause nearby petals to be launched into the air.

Final Smash
Sakura Festival

Hanasakajii has the Smash Ball! Hanasakajii starts off by performing his silly dance, which causes 2 large sakura trees to sprout out of the bottom of the screen. The two are not constructs and act as background elements, however, the trees will proceed to shoot off a MASSIVE amount of petals, which act differently from normal petals, in that they act as projectiles and not items. They fall in massive numbers from the trees and evenfall through the stage, and every petal causes .5% damage, and by the end of the FS, can cause upwards of 50% damage.

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965

Barney is a moveset from your imagination, and when he's good he's good but I dislike the presentation. This purple is somewhat hard to read if I'm being honest, to the point where I had to bold it in my comment so I could read it easier. I've got to agree with Warlord and Turtles on Barney - while the set is quite enjoyable to read and the moves are fun on an individual level, there's no real connection between them. Though, it is a marked improvement on Superman in terms of how well the moves are explained and their effects, and with general creativity. However, not much can be said that hasn't already been said in the two previous comments, so instead of risking redundancy, I'll just say that I hope that you continue improving from here!

Parasect
That opening quote from Julius Caesar is hilarious and totally filling of Parasect's moveset/ \

I like the way Parasect works in terms of movement, especially how it's crouches work. The defensive playstyle suits Parasect well, and the way you use the spores and their various effects in conjunction with his grab game is great. In addition, your use of Giga Drain is one of the better ways I've seen that particular move integrated into smash, so props on that. I'm honestly at a loss for criticisms of this moveset, to be honest - it's that good. Good work on Parasect, can;t wait for the next one.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
LE DEEPEST LORE

Parasect’s core that makes the set interesting are the Specials, throws, and to a degree the smashes. You play around with the powders and growth in an interesting way, with the dthrow of course being the absolute highlight of the moveset. I will say that Growth’s actual effects, for how well executed and integrated into the moveset it is, are rather disappointingly bland and weak. The only thing that makes it worth it is increasing the size of the spores, and I really think Parasect needs something more with that. On the other hand, Parasect’ crouch mechanic seems far too powerful. You have the gall to make the set for Project M and don’t expect players to tech everything perfectly? Abuse of that stance with the only potential penalty resulting in doing an invincibility roll back up to your feet isn’t that bad. Players will be expecting to tech when they activate crouch, so it's easier to pull off than a regular tech.

Speaking of Project M, the set doesn’t really feel out of place for the Brawl environment, so it seems a bit pointless. The standards, aerials, fsmash, and bthrow (I actually like the uthrow, but the bthrow has absolutely no reason for use with such fantastic other throws) result in a pretty large amount of filler. When talking about the many claw attacks in the moveset, more of your flowery writing style is concerned with talking about the animation. There’s only so much you can do to make a claw swipe look visually unique, so I would like to hear more about the properties of the moves. I really would’ve expected more from the dtilt as it can be used during Parasect’s absurd crouch, and raking foes towards you in such a defensive stance sounds counter-intuitive. For my ragging on your writing style, though, I will say the playstyle summary was well done in an age where people can’t be bothered to include them or just make poor ones. The melee attacks aren’t completely without merit, but they’re far from ideal, and I think the Project M moveset label makes you rather timid about giving Parasect some more actual powerful effects on Growth (which is weird when the crouch is so good).

TUMBLR UNIVERSE

I wish I had more specific feedback for Steven, but I would just make the general statement I make about other movesets that the attacks do not give much of interconnected feel to form a coherent mission statement for how the set plays. For some more specific criticisms, I think the portals and duo character mechanic are rather criminally underused. It’s weird to have portals floating around basically as an animation for attacks with fairly standard damage and knockback and not being able to travel through them. The lion is basically just a part of Steven’s model that alternates with him for attacks, and you’re quite vague with any mechanics where they would separate in any way, leading me to believe they basically can’t. Having exclusive mechanics with moves like dsmash where Steven can move around and him jumping off the lion during aerials feels very arbitrary with unintuitive logic.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

"It's no use!"
SILVER
the hedgehog

Introduced in the infamous (and rightfully so) Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Silver is a hedgehog with psychic abilities. He can levitate things, levitate himself, throw things, and more, and of course, this works rather nicely in his favor as far as Smash goes. He can be rather arrogant at times, but he's always determined to finish his current mission and find justice, even if it means being a bit rude. He's not afraid to have a bit of fun with it, though, and, well, his infamous lines of dialogue speak for themselves. Nevertheless, Silver has some pretty neat tricks up his nonexistent sleeve, so let's get started! As always, this set is built around the Smash 4 engine and all that stuff. Anyway, let's dive right into this set!

STATS

Weight:
Lucario
Size: Sonic
Traction: Lucario
(Yes, after sixteen movesets, I'm finally including the traction stat! :D)
Ground Speed: Mewtwo
Jump Height: Olimar
Air Speed: Jigglypuff
Fall Speed: Villager
As you can see, Silver is a very different beast from fellow hedgehog Sonic as far as stats go. In fact, the only attribute that these two share is their size, but even that is made slightly different by Silver's unusual quills. His slightly bulkier gear leads to a higher weight than Sonic, leading to him surviving more of a beating. However, Silver's falling speed is actually a bit floatier than that of Sonic, thanks to Silver's psychic abilities slowing his fall. This psychic power also grants Silver high air speed and mobility, and while he's normally very floaty, Silver's psychokinesis-aided fast fall is extremely fast! In addition, he can stop on a dime with the aid of his psychic abilities. Silver's jump height is nothing special, though, and his ground speed is nowhere near that of Sonic. Nevertheless, Silver's psychic abilities grant him much better mobility than he would have otherwise.

ANIMATIONS AND ALL

Standing:
Silver stands in a rather normal pose, occasionally hovering in place with his psychic abilities.
Walking:
Silver casually walks forward, with a smug, confident look on his face.
Running:
Silver runs forward in a casual jog, similarly to his running in Sonic 2006.
Dashing:
Silver hovers slightly above the ground, moving at a decent dash speed.
Crouching:
Silver enters a crouching pose somewhat similar to that of Greninja, with one hand on the ground and the other extended behind him.
Jump:
Silver leaps into the air, with his hands down and to his sides, looking upwards.
Double Jump:
Silver, glowing with cyan psychic energy, curls up into a ball and jumps upwards.
Aerial Movement:
Silver's midair pose is nothing special (it's similar to this pose), but whenever he fastfalls or when his left/right movement in midair exceeds Sonic's maximum air speed, he glows with cyan psychic energy and leaves faint afterimages behind him.
Spot Dodge:
Silver, using his psychic powers, moves himself into the background briefly while glowing with cyan energy.
Dodge Roll:
Silver uses the Teleport Dash, which isn't actually teleportation, but may as well be since Silver is moving at light speed. The roll is extremely quick and travels 1.25 SBB, and involves Silver becoming a blur of cyan energy and suddenly appearing on the other end.
Air Dodge:
Silver pulses with cyan energy briefly, appearing as only a cyan silhouette and becoming intangible.
Entrance Animation:
Silver emerges from an orb of psychic energy, striking a pose and saying, "I'll give it everything I've got!"
Up Taunt:
Silver floats in the air in a sort of "lying down" pose and says, "This is easy!"
Side Taunt:
Silver enters a "I feel the power" pose as an aura of psychic energy surrounds him, similarly to Mewtwo's side taunt, while saying, "This will end it!"
Down Taunt:
Silver runs in place, hovering in the air with his psychic abilities so that his feet don't touch the ground, saying in a sing-songy voice, "It's no use!" This is rather similar to Sonic's old side taunt from Brawl; imagine the line said in that tone.
Death Sound:
Silver screams, "Not now!"
Victory Pose:
This.

UNIQUE MECHANICS

Silver's first unique trait comes in the form of "Psycho Sparks", or simply "sparks" for short. Many of Silver's attacks will apply light cyan sparks to opponents they hit, and these resemble small electrical sparks. Opponents with these sparks on them can be interacted with using certain attacks of Silver's, which will be expanded upon later, but for now, here's what you need to know. Each sparking attack will apply the sparks for a set amount of time (i.e. 1 second), and after that time passes, the sparks will disappear. This duration is represented by an increased amount of sparks. Any sparking attacks that hit while the opponent is already sparked will add to that timer, but it has some limitations. Firstly, each consecutive attack (within one second of the last one) will reduce the amount added by 25%. For instance, an attack that stuns for ten seconds (which doesn't actually exist; this is just for demonstration/explanation purposes) will first add ten seconds, and the next time, it'll add 7.5 seconds. After that, it adds 5.6 seconds (7.5 * 0.75 rounded), et cetera, et cetera. This doesn't apply for multi hit attacks, the jab, etc. These spark times also go down with stale move negation, and scale the same as the damage of the attack. Sparks will disappear when Silver is KO'd, as well, and the spark time caps at ten seconds. These sparks also deal 1% of damage per second when applied to opponents. One more thing. In a multiplayer match, the sparks will match the color of that player (red for P1, blue for P2, etc), or the color of the team.

Additionally, Silver can levitate using his psychic powers by holding the jump button, similarly to Peach. Unlike Peach, Silver can use special attacks during this hover state. It lasts for up to three seconds per airtime, and this can be used in multiple spurts. While levitating, Silver enters this pose. Of course, this moves at Silver's regular air speed, which is quite high, making this a potent mobility tool. Oh, and unlike in Sonic 2006, you can't repeatedly tap the button to extend your time, since there's a half-second cooldown between turning off and entering flight. Sorry :(

SPECIALS

Side Special: Psychic Orb
Damage: 10%

Silver creates a cyan orb made of psychic energy in front of him, similar in appearance and size to Ness's PK Flash. Silver can control this projectile with a free range of motion as long as the button is held (during which time Silver cannot move or act), and it moves around at Ganon's dash speed. The orb will disappear after about three seconds, or when it hits an opponent, surface, etc. If it does hit an opponent, it will deal 10% of damage and can KO at around 120%, but more importantly, it will spark opponents! These sparks will last for three seconds, and it's one of Silver's best attacks for applying sparks, especially with its range. Silver won't slow down when using this in midair, but it won't put him into helpless either, and levitation can be used at the same time as this attack. The orb can even spark drop-through platforms! I'll get into what exactly that means in a bit, but for now, know that only Battlefield-sized platforms (and a bit bigger) can be sparked, and that this doesn't have any effect on them other than allowing Silver to interact with them via certain moves, as well as dealing 1% of damage per second to opponents who stand on them. This will destroy projectiles on contact (and get destroyed in the process depending on how strong the projectile is).

Neutral Special: Psychokinesis
Damage: 5%

Silver enters a pose, with his right hand outstretched and glowing with cyan energy, similar to the artwork at the top of the set. This pose is retained as long as the button is held, but the effects take about half a second to activate. On its own this isn't useful except perhaps as a taunt, but if a sparked object is within a 5 SBB radius (indicated by a faint cyan circle around Silver), he can interact with that object. Let's go through everything that Silver can interact with via this move. If a sparked opponent is within this radius, Silver will use his psychokinesis to envelop them in a glowing cyan energy, and after saying, "It's no use!", he can then move them around using the analog stick! Now, this might seem a bit overpowered at first, but hear me out. See, this isn't a total takeover of the opponent; they can still attack, dodge, and do anything else while being held, including influencing their own movement! Characters that are grabbed will have their natural gravity negated if it doesn't exceed that of Mario (if it does, Mario's fall speed will be subtracted from theirs, and they'll fall at that speed), but their walking, dashing, air speed, and fast fall can be applied to the movement that Silver provides. Speaking of which, Silver moves opponents around at Ganon's dash speed, like the Psycho Orb. Silver can only influence things for the duration of the sparks, so no infinite camping etc should ever occur. By pressing the attack button while holding an opponent, Silver can perform the Hold Smash, which involves Silver saying, "Taaaaaake this!" and launching the opponent away with his psychic abilities. This has a fixed distance of about 3 SBB and deals 5% of damage. Silver cannot move anything outside of the 5 SBB radius; this applies to all objects. If for whatever reason something that's being held escapes this radius (whether that be by Silver moving it there or the opponent moving themselves), Silver loses control of them.

Moving on, if an item, trap, minion, etc (which will from now on be collectively referred to as "items") enters the radius, it is picked up by Silver and he says, "How about this?!" Most of the things that happen to opponents also happen to items, but of course, they won't be attacking or moving any time soon (unless an item normally does so) Silver can perform the Hold Smash on items, but they'll only be affected by the 5% of damage if they're normally affected by damage (Smart Bombs, crates, Cuccos, etc). Projectiles (including even things like Din's Fire and PK Flash) can be moved around as well and be used to hit opponents, but their velocity is cancelled when they're grabbed, and when the button is released, they're simply destroyed. However, he can fire them forwards by hitting the attack button, at which point they'll be sent flying forwards at the speed of Samus's fully charged Charge Shot with a 1.25 damage multiplier. Oh, and Silver says the same lines here as he does for the items. Finally, platforms that are sparked can be moved freely much the same as opponents, projectiles, and items, but without the Hold Smash. Moving platforms will still move around like normal, in the same way as opponents do. Silver can also stand on a platform and move it in order to move himself. After a platform is moved, it gains a dark cyan hue and matching sparks, meaning that it cannot be moved again. However, like regular sparks, these will disappear after Silver is KO'd, allowing him to move the platforms again. Platforms that are attached to the background (i.e. the ones in Mushroom Kingdom U's first phase) will be ripped from their bases upon being lifted, and then function the same as all other platforms.

Up Special: Psychic Pull
Damage: 0%

Silver enters a pose similar to that of the Neutral Special, but it can't be held indefinitely; instead, this only lasts for a split second (but this doesn't have as much start lag, at 1/4 of a second). It has the same 5 SBB range as the Neutral Special, but it has a different function. See, if Silver uses the move with a sparked opponent, an item, or any projectile in range, he will pull them towards him as they gain a cyan glow. This has the same time limits, speed, and "movement influence" properties of the Neutral Special, but this can't be controlled; the opponent is always pulled towards Silver. Also, the same dialogue lines from that move are used here too. Be careful when using this near projectiles, though, for obvious reasons. Once an object begins moving, Silver can perform any move after a bit of end lag, so you can pull opponents in and then attack them! Platforms can be pulled too, but only if they haven't been moved before; if they have, Silver won't affect them. Of course, pulling a platform also makes it immovable for the rest of the stock.

Now, I know what you're thinking; isn't the Up Special supposed to somehow aid recovery? Well, yes. You see, since Silver doesn't quite have any footing in midair, he gets pulled to certain objects instead! During the period where Silver is being pulled, he can use any attack or other move (barring the Up and Neutral Special), and can cancel it by releasing the button. Silver can only travel for about two seconds before the pull stops. This only happens for sparked opponents, heavy items (i.e. crates), and platforms when Silver is in midair; anything else will get pulled to him instead. Silver will get pulled towards the nearest object that works with this (smaller items and such will still be pulled), and once again, he can use any attack he pleases while in this state. The two-second limit still applies, but it doesn't leave Silver in a helpless state either. So yay! One final note; when Silver stops being pulled towards an object, he says with a smug expression, "Thanks for the lift!" Overall, this move makes for a very unorthodox recovery tactic that might just throw off your opponents, but if a projectile user catches on, it could turn out very badly for Silver!

Down Special: Psychic Carry
Damage: 5%

Silver once again enters a pose similar to that of the Neutral Special (with a start time of 1/4 of a second), this time holding both arms out to his sides. The aura (and thus area of effect) is only 2 SBB in radius, and this provides yet another way for Silver to interact with objects! This time, Silver will "lock" whatever is in the aura in place relative to Silver (unless they influence their own direction), and they'll move as he does! As you'd expect, the same quotes apply as normal. Of course, Silver is free to run, jump, hover, etc during this, but he cannot attack. Instead, pushing the attack button will send any objects that Silver has in tow flying forwards, similarly to the Hold Smash from the Neutral Special. Silver can use this to catch projectiles and send them back, as when Hold Smash is used, they'll be sent flying forwards at the speed of Samus's fully charged Charge Shot with a 1.25 damage multiplier. If a projectile is behind Silver (in his psychic radius), it can still hit him when it's fired forwards, but just releasing the special button will cause all grabbed objects to fall to the ground, which can save Silver from this sort of situation.

STANDARDS

Jab: Psychic Barrage
Damage: 3%, 3%, 5%

Silver enters the same "psychic" pose, with his right hand outstretched, and lets out a pulse of faint cyan psychic energy. This won't actually deal damage; instead, once it travels 1 SBB, it bursts into a small orb of psychic energy! This is similar in appearance to the Side Special, but it, of course, has less power. It deals 3% of damage, flinching, and adds sparks that last for one second. When the attack button is pressed again, Silver stretches out his left arm and does the same thing once again, and finally, the third press has Silver outstretch both arms for a larger and more powerful orb that deals 5% of damage, moderate knockback, and 1.5 seconds of sparks. This is a good attack to use from a distance, and the jab combo is quick, but if the opponent is too close to Silver, the outstretched arms will only deal 1% of damage and flinching, leaving Silver rather open to a counter attack.

Forward Tilt: Psychic Slap
Damage: 8%

Silver, after charging up with psychic energy for a moment while holding his right hand palm on the left side of his neck, whips it out and performs a quick slap that deals 8% of damage, moderate knockback, and 2 seconds of sparks. This is a good "get off me" move, which Silver desperately needs due to his heavy focus on long-range combat. It has quite a bit of startup lag, but it does add some sparks to the opponent, so you can follow up with, say, the Neutral Special or a jab to force your opponent further away.

Up Tilt: Psychic Rise
Damage: 9%

Silver crouches down to the ground briefly, charging up with psychic energy, before jumping up a bit and rising 1 SBB using his psychic levitation. During this attack, Silver pulses with psychic energy in a pose similar to Mewtwo's Neutral Aerial (and a similar rising motion to if you used that in conjunction with his double jump). This is a multi-hit attack, dealing 3% per hit with 3 hits for a total of 9% if all hits connect. Each hit deals .75 seconds of sparks, and the last one deals moderate upwards knockback. This will put Silver into an aerial state at the end, and if the jump button is held during the attack, Silver can transition smoothly into levitation. Use this for transitioning from ground to air combat, where Silver's high air mobility gives him an advantage, but be wary of its sizable startup.

Down Tilt: Psychic Push
Damage; 0%

Silver, from a crouching position, charges up psychic energy briefly in both hands and then fires it forwards, creating a sort of stream of psychic energy along the ground. This reaches 1 SBB in front of Silver, and won't deal damage, flinching, or knockback, but it will push opponents away from Silver and apply a second of sparks. This is the quickest of Silver's tilts, and while it doesn't really do much on its own, it can be followed up by a jab to quickly get opponents away since both attacks conveniently reach 1 SBB. After that, the opponent should be ripe for a psychokinesis maneuver! Silver is best at a distance, so this is an important tool for him to have. However, opponents could easily get out of the way of the jab and punish you for it if they catch onto what you're doing, so try to mix it up a bit.

Dash Attack: Hovering Spin

Silver, while hovering, curls up into a ball, and hovers above the ground in this form for a distance of 1.5 SBB. This deals 8% of damage, moderate knockback, and 1.5 seconds of sparks. This is a nice, quick attack at both the start and end of the attack, and while it can be good for getting opponents away from Silver while dashing, it doesn't have that much follow-up potential.

SMASHES

Forward Smash: Psycho Smash
Damage: 9~15%

Silver charges up psychic energy in his body, holding his arms close to his body with his legs floating above the ground, and at the end of the charge, he outstretches all of his limbs out and behind them. When this happens, a large swirl of psychic energy appears in front of Silver, ranging in size from 1 SBB long and .5 SBB tall to 2 SBB long and 1 SBB tall. This is a multi-hit attack, with 3 hits dealing 3~5% each depending on the charge and 1~3 seconds of sparks. The final hit deals moderate knockback. However, if this hits at the very end of the swirl, it deals 2% more per hit (so it now deals 15~21%) and can KO at 60% at full charge, or 90% at no charge! The sweetspot also adds a second of spark time to the regular values. This is difficult to land, and requires great spacing (especially due to the lag at the start and end), but if used correctly, it can be devastating! Oh, and one more thing; this can reflect projectiles after holding them in place for a moment with a 1.25 damage multiplier, and all reflected projectiles move at the same speed as Samus's fully charged Charge Shot, just like the Down Special. Sweet!

Up Smash: Psychic Knife
Damage: 10~14%

Silver charges up psychic energy in both hands, holding them in front of his torso and looking down at the orb of energy, with a concentrated look on his face. When this charge is released, Silver releases a blade of psychic energy that ranges in width from 1 SBB to 2 SBB, depending on how long the charge was held. This blade appears above Silver, facing upwards, and flies up at Ganon's dash speed. It travels 1 SBB up into the air, and of course, the damage scales with the charge. It can KO at 100%~70% depending on the charge, of course with upwards knockback. Plus, it sparks opponents for 2~3 seconds. This is a great anti-air weapon that can cover a large area, but it doesn't do anything up close, so you'll need to get opponents into the air to land a KO with this.

Down Smash: Psycho Shock
Damage: 10~14%

Silver leaps into the air about the height of a full hop, and, glowing with psychic energy, curls into a ball and spins around. During this charging period, Silver levitates in place, spinning around rapidly and building up psychic energy. He then smashes down onto the ground, creating a shockwave with a radius of .75~1.5 SBB depending on the charge. This shockwave deals fixed upwards knockback of about 1 SBB into the air, high hitstun, 10~14%, 2~4 seconds of sparks, and has little endlag, making this a great way to spark opponents and start a midair combo. It's also great for catching rolls, but it simply cannot be used to KO. Follow this up with either an aerial or one of the psychokinesis-based specials.

AERIALS

So, before we get into the aerials, let me explain another of Silver's unique mechanics. Remember the Teleport Dash from the dodge roll? Well, that plays into his aerials as well. If you "smash input" an aerial (like Robin using the Levin Sword), Silver will perform a Teleport Dash in that direction; he becomes a cyan blur as he nearly instantaneously appears 1 SBB away in the desired direction. This won't deal any damage, and can only be used twice per airtime (getting hit will restore one of these Teleport Dashes, but not past the two-dash limit). Anyway, at the end of the dash, Silver will perform the aerial that was input. Which direction this faces depends on whether the input was held or tapped/flicked (depending on your control scheme). If it's held, Silver attacks in the direction he dashed, and if it was flicked, Silver attacks towards his point of origin. So, for example, if you smash input a Forward Aerial, if it's flicked, Silver will dash forwards, attack backwards (with a Forward Aerial), and now be facing in that direction. If you hold it, Silver will attack forwards. And yes, this can be used to reverse Silver's midair position. If you do a diagonal smash input (i.e. flicking the C-Stick up and to the right), Silver will dash in that direction without performing an aerial attack, but he will change direction. This is important to Silver's recovery, due to his mediocre jumps and situational Up Special. But wait... So if Silver can move diagonally downwards in midair, and he does so at a high speed, then does that mean...

Silver can WAVEDASH?!

Well, sort of. See, when Silver performs a diagonal Teleport Dash into the ground, his momentum isn't quite the same, as he's no longer moving at light speed. However, he does still have a psychic aura around him, and he leaves cyan afterimages behind him as he slides along the ground. Silver normally has very high traction, but this aura allows him to slide about 2 SBB along the ground, at a speed a bit higher than that of his dash. This functions much like a normal wavedash, except Silver's psychic-based attacks are cut in half in terms of damage, knockback, and sparks applied. After all, he is putting a lot of his resources into moving along the ground like this. Still, this can be a potent spacing and movement tool; use this like you would in Melee or Project: M, but be aware of its weaknesses.

Neutral Aerial: Psychic Spin
Damage: 9%

Silver, after charging up for a brief moment, curls up into a ball, pulsing with psychic energy, and spins around rapidly to damage opponents, deal moderate knockback, and apply one second of sparks. This is a good attack for getting close opponents away from Silver, but it does have a bit of startup lag.

Forward Aerial: Psy-kick

Silver, after a brief startup, performs a roundhouse kick with his right leg, as it pulses with psychic energy to both aid the leg's momentum and add two seconds of sparks to the opponent. This also deals 10% of damage, and it actually turns out to be one of Silver's best aerial killing options, KOing horizontally at around 110%! However, the startup lag and small hitbox make this tricky to land. Then again, you can use it in conjunction with a Teleport Dash to throw off the opponent!

Back Aerial: Psychic Blast

After a brief moment of charging up psychic energy, Silver throws a faint cyan burst of psychic energy similar to that found in the jab combo behind him. After traveling about 1 SBB, this turns into an orb of psychic energy the same size as the one found in the Side Special. The psychic energy won't move with Silver after it's fired, and the orb will stay in place for about ten seconds before disappearing. Silver can manipulate the orb with any of his psychokinesis techniques, making for a nice, movable trap to both send into opponents and send opponents into! It will also disappear if it hits an opponent or projectile, and if it does hit an opponent, it will deal 8% of damage, two seconds of sparks, and horizontal knockback that can KO at around 100%. The longer it's out, the less damage, knockback, and sparks the orb deals; right before disappearing, it's only half as potent. Silver can have up to two of these orbs out at a time; attempting to create a third will result in the oldest one disappearing. Using this in conjunction with the Teleport Dash allows for three different placement options; in Silver's original position (by flicking the C-Stick), 1 SBB behind his original position (normally inputting the aerial), or 2 SBB behind his original position (holding the C-Stick). This allows Silver to keep opponents guessing where the orb will be, and makes for some great stage control.

Up Aerial: Psychic Knife

After a moment of building up psychic energy in both hands, Silver creates a blade of psychic energy similar to the one found in the Up Smash. Like the uncharged version of that attack, this is 1 SBB wide, goes up 1 SBB, deals 10% of damage, 2 seconds of sparks, and KOs vertically at around 100%. The startup is rather slow, moreso than his other aerials, but it's still a good vertical KOing option. If this is reversed by flicking the C-Stick, Silver instead fires the blade downwards, and it has all of the same properties as the regular version, except now it's packing a powerful meteor smash! Since the Teleport Dash carries Silver up 1 SBB, and the blade travels that same distance, the downwards version will end up at Silver's original position, making this a good move to use to escape an aerial opponent who's getting too close for comfort.

Down Aerial: Downwards Psychic Blast

Silver, after a brief moment of charging and concentration, creates an orb 1 SBB below him, in a similar fashion to the Back Aerial. This one deals more damage but only 1 SBB of fixed upwards knockback. It applies two seconds of sparks, and while this might not seem very useful, the extremely quick endlag (Silver can act the tiniest bit of time before the orb actually appears), high hitstun, and the fact that this knocks the opponent right into Silver allows for a quick, consistent follow-up with practically any aerial attack! You could use a reversed Up Aerial to meteor smash the opponent, a reversed Back Aerial or regular Forward Aerial to KO them horizontally, there are just so many options! If you reverse this attack, as you'd expect, Silver fires this orb up to his point of origin, and now it knocks the opponent right down into Silver, having a similar effect. The opponent does descend a bit faster due to gravity, but so does Silver, so there's still time for him to set up an aerial. This can also function as a weak meteor smash if Silver doesn't attack, but the key word here is "weak". It won't be KOing anyone anytime soon. The orb from this move will disappear after one second if it doesn't hit an opponent, so it can't be used in quite the same way as the one from the Back Aerial.

GRAB GAME

Grab: Psychic Hold
Silver's grab is very unique. It's different from both other fighters' grabs and his own psychokinesis techniques. Firstly, this cannot be wiggled out of like a normal grab, and it doesn't rely on the opponent's percentage to determine how long they're held. However, it will only last as long as the opponent has sparks on them; if they don't have sparks on them, then Silver will only be able to hold the opponent for slightly longer than a standard 0% grab. This makes this grab either extremely long or extremely short depending on Silver's overall performance throughout the match. Also note that this only works on opponents, and not projectiles, items, etc. Anyway, the grab's range is unique as well. It only reaches about .33 SBB away from Silver, but this can be anywhere, whether in front of, behind, above, or even a bit below Silver! The opponent will be brought to Silver's current height, but he'll turn to face the opponent if need be. Oh, and of course, upon grabbing an opponent, he says, "It's no use!"

Pummel: Why Are You Hitting Yourself?
Damage: varies

Silver likes to have a bit of fun with his opponents sometimes. Using his psychic powers, Silver forces the opponent to hit their own face with their hand or whatever weapon they use for their pummel. It shares the same speed, damage, etc as that pummel, except the animation is changed so that they're hitting themselves instead of Silver. This makes for a large variation in speed and power that Silver mains must adapt to, but it can be used to great effect.

Up Throw: The Dribble
Damage: 12%

So, now we move onto the throws. Because Silver is psychic, the laws of Smash state that he must have great throws. So this first one is no exception. Silver, holding the opponent, leaps into the air with them in tow, at about the height of a full hop. Then, with a smug smile on his face, Silver slams the opponent down to the ground (aided by his psychic abilities) and they bounce back up, dealing 4% of damage. He then does this two more times, for a total of 12%, and the last bounce is much higher as Silver uses his psychokinesis to lift them upwards and launch them, also adding two seconds of sparks. This throw can KO at around 120%, and has great damage output. Plus, it leaves Silver in an aerial state, and can start levitating smoothly from this by holding the jump button.

Forward Throw: Spike-ic serve

Silver tosses the opponent into the air in front of him, leaps up into the air behind them, and spikes them volleyball-style, dealing 8% of damage and rather high knockback at a downwards angle. This will also put one second of sparks onto the opponent, and while it might not seem very good at first glance, using this near the ledge can force your opponent to recover from far away and near the bottom blast line. Couple this with Silver's psychokinesis for edge-guarding, and you've got yourself a potent KO option!

Down Throw: Psychic Blast Combo
Damage: 14%

Silver creates two orbs to either side of him, about 1 SBB away. Silver then throws the opponent into the one in front and they bounce over to the one in back, dealing a total of 14% and sparking for two seconds total. Since the one in front has already damaged the opponent (and thus disappeared), they simply slide along the ground in a prone state at a set distance of about 4 SBB. If another opponent hits one of the orbs, the throw will be interrupted and the damage will be reduced. Since the opponent can easily roll out of the 5 SBB radius for Silver's psychokinesis attacks, this isn't the most versatile throw for follow-ups, but the damage output makes up for it.

Back Throw: Psychic Spin

Silver holds the opponent in place with his psychokinesis, spins them around once ala Mario's back throw, and lets go, dealing... 1% of damage and moderate knockback. What? Aren't back throws supposed to be kill moves, especially psychic-based ones (coughNesscough)? Well yes, but Silver's needs a bit of work. You see, the more sparks an opponent has, the more damage, knockback, and sparks the throw deals. Each second of sparks adds one rotation, which adds 1% of damage, .5 seconds of sparks, and knockback; at the maximum of ten seconds of sparks, then, the move deals 10% of damage, 5 seconds of sparks, and KOs at 75%! This will rarely happen, of course. Anyway, this drains the opponent's sparks when used, but you'll get half of them back, so it's no big deal really. Use this only when you're sure that your opponent has enough sparks, because if they don't, the high endlag this throw has can prove fatal!

MISCELLANEOUS

Final Smash: Meteor Smash!

♪ Na, na-na-na-na-na-na, Ka-ta-mari Dama-cy! ♪
Silver got the Smash Ball, so it's time for him to unleash his full power! Using the power of this mystical orb, Silver's psychokinesis is greatly enhanced, allowing him to use his ultimate finisher attack. Using these enhanced abilities, Silver draws in all items, projectiles, background elements (from the stage itself), small platforms (not the main one), Assist Trophies, Pokemon, pretty much everything besides fighters, and combines them into one huge ball of destruction! While it's not quite as large as the one pictured above, it's still pretty huge; at minimum, the boulder will have a diameter of 5 SBB from background objects alone. Each item, projectile, etc that Silver also grabs increases the diameter by .1-.5 SBB depending on its size. This can increase up to 3 extra SBB, or 8 SBB total in diameter! Anyway, Silver then uses his psychokinesis to toss this giant ball of stuff in front of him, as it rolls across the entire stage (or at least from where Silver activated the attack) at Sonic's dash speed to damage opponents and pick up anything that might appear after the initial creation of the boulder. Anyway, how much damage does this deal? Well, at minimum size, this will deal 30% of damage and KO at around 50%. At maximum size, it deals 50% of damage and KOs at only 30%! Geez! Of course, this will rarely happen. The ball will disappear when it hits a blast zone or hits a wall; if the latter happens, all of the items, projectiles, etc that went into the ball will break apart and go wherever the ball crashed. As you may have noticed, this is one of the rare attacks that doesn't apply sparks to the opponent, but that isn't really necessary since they'll probably be KO'd by this anyways.

PLAYSTYLE

So, ya wanna play as Silver, do ya? Well, here's what you need to know. First off, stay on the offensive as much as possible. The more you hit the opponent, the more sparks they have, and the more sparks they have, the more you get to lift them around in ways they really don't want. This helps Silver's long-range game, defensive options, edgeguarding capabilities, recovery, everything! And boy, Silver's long-range game is crucial, because frankly, he's terrible up close, or at least on the ground. Use a tilt to get opponents away from you, since Silver's best attacks are best from afar. Due to the psychic nature of Silver's moveset, he often needs a moment to concentrate before releasing a deadly blast of psychic energy. Silver's ground mobility is all right, but if he gets you in the air, watch out! His air speed, mobility, floatiness, levitation, and the Teleport Dash make him one of the best, if not the best, aerial characters in Smash 4! All he needs is a few more jumps, and he'll surpass even Jigglypuff with flying colors. Anyway, that Teleport Dash adds tons of versatility to Silver's air game. Reversible aerials will keep opponents guessing, and they can add new versatility to Silver's existing aerials. Take the Up Aerial, for example. Normally, it's good as an upwards projectile and possible KO move, but when reversed, it makes for a great spike that can catch opponents off guard! The Down Aerial sort of ties together Silver's aerials, since it can combo into practically any of them with the right reversing and timing. The Down Aerial also goes great with Silver's psychokinesis, since he can force opponents into the orbs or throw the orb into oppponents! Edgeguarding is a breeze with Silver's ability to push opponents away with the Down Tilt and move them all over the place with his specials, but if the character has any sort of decent air mobility, it might not quite work that well. Silver's own recovery is nothing to scoff at, either. He has two Teleport Dashes to help his recovery, his air speed, mobility, and levitation speak for themselves, and a combination of his Side Special and Up Special can help him get back to the stage with ease, provided an opponent is close enough! Overall, Silver is a fighter who needs to balance his offense and defense, keep opponents away, and wants to be in the air as much as possible, but struggles with hit-and-run and projectile-heavy playstyles. Nevertheless, with his psychic abilities, mindgame potential, and a moveset's worth of taunting lines, Silver is more than prepared to take on the best Smash 4 has to offer! As always, feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope you enjoyed the set! :)

Like what you see? See some more over at my Make Your Move Hub! :D

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 : One problem I see with Silver, actually, is that his Neutral Special kills any projectile it held when he releases it, and I don't see anything about a minimum hold time or startup/endlag. As a result, Silver is able to basically kill every projectile an opponent throws at him by pressing B.

Also, his hover. 3 seconds is a long time in Smash, and with his low fall speed likely also comes a comparatively low fall acceleration. As a result, since he's able to stop and start his hover as many times as he wants in the air, he can still do that stupid Sonic '06 stunt of hovering near-infinitely by repeatedly tapping the button. Unless, of course, there's a small cooldown period after he stops hovering before he can start to do so again (I'd say probably in the range of 20 frames, or a third of a second).

And his grab. 1 second is a long time for a "failed" grab hold, especially since ordinarily a grab breaks near-instantly at low percents in Smash 4, and especially since that makes it longer than a "successful" hold with a short remaining spark duration. That's an issue of number-crunching more than anything else, but it is still an issue. If you ask me, a grab on a spark-less foe should last only marginally longer than a grab on a 0% foe, leaving Silver enough time to perform a throw and little else.

His pummel has a problem too. May first jabs are repeatable at insane speed simply by holding the button in Smash 4, so long as they don't successfully hit a foe. Sonic and Mario are both good examples of this machine gun-like jab speed and what that would mean for Silver's pummel.

Also in his Final Smash, I presume when you said it sucks in platforms you meant that it sucks in only fall-through platforms, right? Otherwise, there could very well be no stage at all for it to land on. Also Silver is kind of a jerk. Imagine that on Colosseum or Boxing Ring! And what happens to the fall-through platforms when the Meteor Smash ball shatters after hitting a wall or goes over the blast zone? Are the platforms just gone for the rest of the match?

Question about telekinesis, too: would it behave the same on traps and other constructs as it does on projectiles? I presume that anything that's an unattached article ("article" being a technical term for "anything created by a character that's not part of their character model") could be grabbed by it, unless an article is required to have either a hitbox or hurtbox in order to be grabbed (in which case it can't catch a PK Flash or Din's Fire, among a few other things). Would minions need to be sparked first in order to be grabbed by telekinesis, or would they behave as projectiles? That's an important question, as minions are still articles of the character that created them. Also another thing, does throwing an item with Hold Smash deal damage to the item, or is that 5% Hold Smash damage dealt to anything hit by the thrown item instead, or is it treated as if Silver simply picked up the item and threw it normally in the direction of the Hold Smash? Little details like that are important and should be elaborated on.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 : One problem I see with Silver, actually, is that his Neutral Special kills any projectile it held when he releases it, and I don't see anything about a minimum hold time or startup/endlag. As a result, Silver is able to basically kill every projectile an opponent throws at him by pressing B.
Good point. I'll probably add a bit of start lag to the three TK techniques, to fit in with the "needing a moment to concentrate" theme.
Also, his hover. 3 seconds is a long time in Smash, and with his low fall speed likely also comes a comparatively low fall acceleration. As a result, since he's able to stop and start his hover as many times as he wants in the air, he can still do that stupid Sonic '06 stunt of hovering near-infinitely by repeatedly tapping the button. Unless, of course, there's a small cooldown period after he stops hovering before he can start to do so again (I'd say probably in the range of 20 frames, or a third of a second).
Once again, good point. I'll add some of that cooldown you mentioned, as well as perhaps reducing the flight time a bit.
And his grab. 1 second is a long time for a "failed" grab hold, especially since ordinarily a grab breaks near-instantly at low percents in Smash 4, and especially since that makes it longer than a "successful" hold with a short remaining spark duration. That's an issue of number-crunching more than anything else, but it is still an issue. If you ask me, a grab on a spark-less foe should last only marginally longer than a grab on a 0% foe, leaving Silver enough time to perform a throw and little else.
Very good point. I'll go and fix that real quick.
His pummel has a problem too. May first jabs are repeatable at insane speed simply by holding the button in Smash 4, so long as they don't successfully hit a foe. Sonic and Mario are both good examples of this machine gun-like jab speed and what that would mean for Silver's pummel.
It would be the speed from the first hit to the second hit in those cases. I'll clarify that.
Also in his Final Smash, I presume when you said it sucks in platforms you meant that it sucks in only fall-through platforms, right? Otherwise, there could very well be no stage at all for it to land on.
Right, haha.
Also Silver is kind of a jerk. Imagine that on Colosseum or Boxing Ring! And what happens to the fall-through platforms when the Meteor Smash ball shatters after hitting a wall or goes over the blast zone? Are the platforms just gone for the rest of the match?
That's what I had in mind, yes. I was thinking that if it didn't go offscreen, though, that everything that the ball was made of would just go there instead, including platforms, items, etc.
Question about telekinesis, too: would it behave the same on traps and other constructs as it does on projectiles? I presume that anything that's an unattached article ("article" being a technical term for "anything created by a character that's not part of their character model") could be grabbed by it, unless an article is required to have either a hitbox or hurtbox in order to be grabbed (in which case it can't catch a PK Flash or Din's Fire, among a few other things).
Basically everything you mentioned would be able to be grabbed. I'll clarify that.
Would minions need to be sparked first in order to be grabbed by telekinesis, or would they behave as projectiles? That's an important question, as minions are still articles of the character that created them.
I'd say they can be grabbed.
Also another thing, does throwing an item with Hold Smash deal damage to the item, or is that 5% Hold Smash damage dealt to anything hit by the thrown item instead, or is it treated as if Silver simply picked up the item and threw it normally in the direction of the Hold Smash? Little details like that are important and should be elaborated on.
The damage is only applied to items that actually respond to damage. Crates break, Smart Bombs explode, Cuccos attack Silver, et cetera.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 What would happen if Silver tried to pummel Pikachu?
It's somewhat vaguely-worded, as far as animation goes he'd probably just hit himself in the head with his hand, and lag-wise it'd have the exact same frame data as Pikachu's jab since he only has the one. Pummeling Meta Knight is what gets really silly though, since you end up with a multi-hitting pummel.

Actually you'd probably just copy-paste the frame data from the jab onto the pummel in terms of animation length and hitbox timing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom