• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 17: Next contest begins March the 24th; get your Iron MYM'er 1st day sets ready!

Smady

Smash Master

LORD MORGAN

This is the best Warlord set this contest, it hits all of the high notes that I love in general and specifically from his sets. It's always great to see a set that goes the extra mile in the inputs and this is in combination with Warlord's experimental vehicle set style. This set solves all the traditional problems inherent in the genre by making the car a separate entity entirely, getting its own exclusive inputs while Morgan himself gets his own full set of inputs. This set was really reaching for potential already on that premise, when the character doesn't do all that much on his own that's not generic and the car for the most part is just a regular car. It's a pretty definitive HMA vehicle set though, given what you added, as well as a definitive Fist of the North Star one shot set because of all the material in there. It's very impressive how much is covered across the entire set.

The highlight of the playstyle is definitely the villager minions, and it's all fairly simple while having lots of depth. The AI of the minions is very straightforwardly played by damaging the minions, always keeping in mind their HP and how to best take advantage of their higher AI when lower on health. This is one of the main parts of the playstyle, outside of just hitting against the car, using the slopes and the car's physical shape to create strong moves that hit up in the air. This all works into when Morgan actually gets in the car, with the slopes working both to help him build up momentum and flows into his regular set. When the minion gets in the car, it's kept in mind how stupid they will be and works it into the playstyle when Morgan has all these easily spammed moves for the villagers to abuse. It's all pretty simplistic stuff you'd expect out of a one shot from this series, it's all extremely fitting, from the double grab to the hammer moves, the oil drums, it's exactly the tool kit you'd expect and is done exceptionally well. It is a bit OP, what with two 10 weight "characters" the foe basically has to KO between the car and Morgan, but it's very manageable given the limited and restrained car set that needs the set up to be viable.

Of course this wouldn't be a great set if the car moves didn't also deliver, and they do. This set handles the balance of the vehicle well, keeping in mind the balance of a huge hurtbox/hitbox in play. In the past this would be a huge sticking point where the car was a constant threat and almost an extension of your containment sets, in that the vehicle was so giant that it was hard to not get hit by it. Here, the car is actually a lot weaker and it's a hilarious dichotomy. That is because Morgan is portrayed as a bad driver and wants the villager to take over eventually, because being in the car later on will just end up killing him, and given the amount of weight both have it will definitely get to that point. The car moves are your most versatile despite such a generic vehicle. This is largely because of the slopes, the villager minions and so on, as this set is a far more normal character because of the on foot moves. The flow between the two is really great, and it's all very well characterised. It's really fun imagining it in match ups and how it'd play against other similar sets that use slope mechanics this contest. Best of all, it revitalizes its genre better than I could have ever hoped.

FORLORN JUNK HEAP

This is half comment, half advertisment the same as Lord Morgan, but as this is one of my favourite sets this contest, there's not much negative to say. I doubt anyone will not read this, but you absolutely should if you plan to vote. Forlorn Junk Heap was a great read from start to finish, and I didn't even dislike the end of the set that terribly much. It's got a very nice characterisation to it, always digging up garbage buried in the stage and re-purposing it, but also coming across as a low intelligence character who is enjoying the fight as much as he's trying to win. This is put across best in moves like the wave, the throws, the smashes. There's a disjointedness to inputs I actually like for the character and gives the inputs some nice differentiation from other sets that have done similar concepts. It takes something that would be a bit of a mistake in another set and makes it into a positive, without feeling pretentious or weird as many sets do, very straightofrward but having great depth. For that reason while not the most exciting inputs, I found the forward and down smash fun little moves that have strong implications on the rest of the set.

The concepts at play here are very simple. FJH digs up junk, progressing through a ball, a larger ball, and then a pile. From the pile, he can then find a bunch of other weapons, including a rocket firework, gun, sword and finally a shield. These all can be picked up by the foe and used against the Junk Heap, referencing the fight where the party can hit back his projectiles. These are all fun, but the one that's my favourite is probably the sword, when it can stick to the character and become a static hitbox at all times, naturally building into his other moves as a combo and defensive tool. The gun, shield and firework have some fun uses too, memorably the firework firing other fireworks, and oddly having on friendly fire... I see why you did that, but it is a little forced. However, the options this opens up and the amount of items he can summon add a naturally huge amount of depth to the set's gameplay, and it's fun to imagine just what he'd go for in certain match-ups, whether it'd be the defensive shield, the camping gun, the strong melee sword or the more situational projectile firework. It makes sense for the character again, as he's just recycling whatever crap he finds on hand, and it's balanced well to feel as though he does need these items to stay viable, because of the awkward hitboxes of moves like jab, up tilt, up smash, and moves that have no hitboxes or high start up like the junk creation move, interacting with the pile at all or various tethers/command grabs.

The set does have some stuff I dislike. Notably, I wasn't a huge fan of the multiple plug moves, although I mostly just found myself confused about the exact reason why he needs that many. For example the ftilt having a similar function to the up special, just on the ground, and now it does the big interaction. I was slightly confused how exactly the clay works but seemed fairly safe to assume later, though it's not actually that important so it's no huge issue. I agree that the aerials are pretty weak although I like the simpler applications some of them have, as it lends itself well to the character I feel when he goes for a gimp off stage, and the pile stuff is pretty awkward but makes sense in a "I will play with whatever's in front of me" kind of way for the character. The set's strongest quality is definitely the dedication to the character, and after not thinking about it for a while, I do get a good sense of how much you have a special connection to it. It does FJH great justice that you wouldn't expect, I'd assume if it got a set it would be as part of a huge movement where he's overlooked, but this set's got a lot of love put into the effort. Dooku assured me you were back and this set proves you might have your best sets yet to come.

SLON THE ROOK

This was one of the four Dragon Quest V sets posted this contest and despite being for the hardest character of the four, Warlord was able to create something truly standout. The base is deceptively simple: a buff to the next attack and throwing weapons that can impale on solid ground or walls. That's because the character here is nothing more than a few generic attacks in his source material, and gets a couple flashier animations in a couple of spin-offs, these amount to a bite, a sword slash and in the spin-off, a move where he enlarges the spikes on his shield. This set is able to combine all of these elements by having a unique buff on every move and thinking of interesting ways to work off the weapons lying around the stage. There's the easy interaction of cutting off start lag, but many more interesting ones such as picking up weapons in the middle of a spinning move to throw them off, catching them in midair, and perhaps best of all, crushing them together using the shield to create a huge sweetspot in midair.

The highlight of the moveset comes unusually at the end of the set with the last set of inputs, the standards. These moves are highly memorable and are a shock when they come up, when you'd expect the set to be winding down, but do the best job of selling the concept. Other great moves include the neutral aerial, with the great name "hippoblockomus" based off a DQ enemy, where Slon crushes two shields together, creating the sweetspot hitbox I talked about earlier. The smashes all seem extremely satisfying to pull off and use the concept of having the weapon out to give very fun options to the Slon player, while the enemy has to play around it, creating a good dynamic in every match up. The back aerial interacts off the foe's shield in an interesting way, very inventively for the input. The standards are the real highlight though, almost every input here is worth a mention. The jab is the fun enlarged shield spike move, the ftilt is a simple step forward and slash similar to the old Bowser fsmash, but does very exciting things with the concept. The down tilt has the set's only real form of set up besides the weapons, and gets tons of mileage out of it. Interestingly the dash attack is the best one, using a dash with the shield out and running with it all the way, pardon the pun. Warlord had to dig pretty hard to even find this animation in the game but definitely justified the effort.

As the only other person to pay attention to this game at all, it was great seeing this come together into such a good set, while not my favourite Warlord contribution this contest it's no wonder it's so popular, for me easily the second best. You can't help but root for a set that had so many potential obstacles. These are overcome through sheer forceful effort by Warlord, in a fairly intricate execution that has very few flaws to nitpick. I would say as well that from a characterization perspective the set does a great job too, as Slon comes across as brutish and intense, as he does in the game. It's not the most complex character and the set conveys that through its anger-fueled playstyle, Slon biting, chomping and headbutting his way to victory. Most have read this set already and have shown high approval for it, but for those on the fence, I highly recommend you don't overlook this set. I'll be doing more DQ sets next contest so it'll be fun to see how they all fare on the top fifty. As you'd expect, Warlord more than pulled his huge weight with this movement. Kon is also worth a read of course, though it's not as good as Slon, it's a more balanced, modern take on a momentum set.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
AD TIME FOR REALSIES

INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR
I've made it pretty clear that Korol is one of my favorite sets, what with me ranking him higher than Mista Baddd, and a lot of my comments in chat. Korol has a lot going on, slaves, slave driver, pyramids, terraforming, magic spells, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting, and it all combines into a really fun sandbox style set, all based on a relatively minor villain from an RPG.

DON'T TREAD ON HIM
Been awhile since anyone brought up Blocks, huh? For a really long time (I mean like, for most of the contest) Blocks was the ONLY truly excellent sets of the contest. Luckily, since then we've had a lot more great sets thanks to some great set makers. Anyway, Blocks himself is a fun set, with tons of fun animations and interesting interactions thanks to his strange shape shifting abilities. There are problems here and there, like it maybe being a bit TOO complicated, or the dash attack, which I still do not understand.

IF YA SMELLLLLLLLLL
The Mountain is another really fun set from Warlord, exaggerating his standard HMA obsession to the absolute max, with a character so heavy he terraforms just by existing. His ghost form also ads a lot of interesting things to it, especially in regards to stuff like The Mountain's insane weight scale, and does change up some moves in interesting ways.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
The wind is howling...

It fills you with...DETERMINATION!

The Heroine appears!

UNDYNE (Reigaheres)

Reigaheres' second contest may have graced us with the same number of sets as his first, but Undyne is an obvious example that with design time and DETERMINATION, he's got the stuff in him to make something truly special.

The translation of Undyne's signature green attack from the game is, to me, quite impressive. Not only does it keep surprisingly true to the game, which seems very difficult to me given how it works in the games, but does so in a way that complicates and deepens the game in a way I find quite enjoyable, simple in its effects yer far reaching, and when confronted with criticism, Reigaheres tackled it head on and made exquisite changes to the moveset to make being green more blue for the opponent: The arrows shield eating in particular was the kind of inventive, yet ultimately simple, effect that melds great into her pre-existing game, and which really impressed me.

Combining with this is Undyne's rushdown, determined style, as despite the setup on turning the foe green and the addition of projectiles and traps, the set maintains an excellent sense of intensity and action and keeps an aggressive nature to it, doing the impressive job of including traditional camper tools in an aggro way and not feeling like its gotten all turned around. Moves like the Forward Tilt, Down Tilt, Down Aerial and all of the Smashes really felt quite excellent to me, adding surprising depth to the way that Undyne can approach a mid-range aggressive situation, and the planted Down Tilt spears interactions with her smashes added just enough of another layer of complexity to add to the move.

Finally, it would be shameful not to mention the fact this set has a wonderful characterization to it: As mentioned, the green attack is translated with surprising faithfulness, abilities like Undyne's Side Special take her game attacks and concepts and meld them wonderfully into smash, and the rushing, determined, never-give-up playstyle works perfectly with her relentless pursuit from the game and how she utilizes things like her spear puddles...and the way it can all backfire and end up sending Undyne to the cleaners.

I'm by far the set's most vocal supporter, so my advertisement may certainly seem flowery, but make no mistake: The set is more than worth reading and one might just...determine...that it's a pretty fine set. So check it out before it's all over!

Smady

Smash Master
When I hear Princess Nautilus I assume Riot has produced their latest rework, not a new Peanut set. Rosalina's Luma is super bulky and has to be heavily focused to go down after 50HP. This set's idea is to make the minion be about 2.5x weaker, when you take into account that it may as well die once it's at half health due to the mechanic. That means the foe can focus it down very easily, if anything they may want to not kill it to keep it in the gimped form, not that the set takes this into account. Though you fixed the numbers a bit so Nautilus solo isn't useless, it's still about as effective as Nolimar. Her percents without the minion are just terrible and compared to Rosalina, who is still playable without Luma, this character is desperately flailing around when alone. The problem with that is unlike Nolimar, Nautilus has any trouble getting a new minion, despite the fact her set is atrocious if it's not there, and very bad when it's in the weakened state. Ultimately it makes the set feel very UP and imbalanced. As far as the actual ideas go, there are a few moves I thought were decent, where the minion is wrapped around Nautilus as a separate hitbox or tries to do a simple combo between the two, but it's not winning any points for originality. It's no wonder though as your first set in a long time and I hope you keep making sets, it might even encourage DK's down taunt to make his long awaited return. In the least, this was a set fun to nitpick for balance, as experimenting with Rosalina's gimmick is always interesting.

Undyne went through a good bunch of changes from the original version. I had a fairly negative opinion of it then, but you took on board many positive suggestions. The basic concept felt imbalanced before, as it seemed as though landing the green mode was too difficult when the effect was underpowered. I never saw the roll and dodge nerf as that punishing, it's already easy to punish a roll and dodges tend to be entirely superior anyway, but the buff to shield then tipped the balance so that Undyne would never actually try to land this integral move. The addition of interactions means that while I'm not sold on the effect, the dodge/roll nerf alongside more homing attacks make it worth the effort, and as that is the core playstyle move it definitely helps. Getting the "tester" archetype right is hard so I can't be too nitpicky about how you handled it at first, especially given this is clearly your first big effort outside Lubba's Galaxy characters that are comparably throwaway. This was a big learning process for you.

The addition of planting spears helping with lag on the smashes, some changes to make the aerials less awkward and other small details added all help a bit too so that this set is good on a playstyle level. Generally when the set goes on about the green mode effects this was not interesting but the rebalancing gives it extra relevance to me and very important depth. However, I still think you could've done more with all the potential of the character, considering she can summon spears anywhere out of the ground and has melee potential unlike the others in her source material. I was not a fan of the arrows as they seem to arbitrarily do extra shield damage, and I saw the different variants as fairly redundant. Compared to just Homing Missile versus Power Missile, these arrows didn't seem to accomplish any greater functionality. Speaking of which it still feels like the spear out of the ground moves don't really need to be on multiple inputs, the special version should have a much greater range and the base version seems more of a smash than a special, whereas the smash doesn't feel that justified as another move using this concept. Just something to differentiate better like a bigger spear, a row of them coming up, something to make it less redundant would've been nice. The throws were nice for the character but also didn't contribute much to the playstyle.

Just a quick comment on Tails, this block isn't too impressive as I upgraded two comments to be advertisements. Tails is in fact one of your best sets and that is because the glove has some fun interactions, and genuinely feels unique as a grab because of the range specific buff. Redirecting the projectile around with the glove is some of the move fun you've had in a set, directly leading into follow ups and building up a fun air game with Tails. I was a fan of the grab aerial ultimately, just for giving a fun, logical suicide move to Tails. I would say that even as your best, you could still improve on some of the weaker inputs, mostly in the aerials now as I felt the grab game mostly was okay. I also don't know anything about the character to really comment on how the glove should fit in, but I felt like from what little I know of the character, this was pretty faithful. All you need to know is more of what you did here, and Paper Mario is shaping up to be just that based on the preview, looking forward to your sets next contest Muno, you put out an impressive amount in MYM17.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Yay, advertisements.

Fassad by Smash Daddy
This set is pretty fantastic -- PK Rockin', one might say. It's got cool mechanics, solid interactions, and a whole lotta humor that'll make you chuckle. It conveys a personality quite excellently, and it introduces a lot of mechanics while still keeping it from being overwhelming. Every mechanic is relevant and pops up at some later point in the set, and they're all interwoven together to create a pretty cool playstyle. I also really like how it uses PSI moves that Ness and Lucas do, but in completely different ways -- it's a really fun take on existing PSI users in Smash. And overall, this set is a fun read through and through.

Advertisement image removed due to legal issues with Lego™
Blocks by MasterWarlord
Blocks was an early gem this contest, after a sea of mediocrity at the start. The character seemed rather generic to me at the start, but MW does an excellent job here at using the Legos™ to their fullest potential. It's a really cool resource-management mechanic, since you can do things like build structures, power up attacks, make giant boulders, etc at the cost of Legos™. Of course, using these up also alters Blocks' own stats, and you can only have so many, so it's a neat element of choice. I also like moves such as bthrow, where MW makes clever use of Blocks' Lego™ nature, and making doppelgangers is also a really cool concept. So yeah, overall, Blocks is a quite enjoyable read with a solid core mechanic. Wonder what that Final Smash was though...

Mister Badd by Smash Daddy
Badd is an excellent moveset, through and through. From the get-go, the humorous jabs at Nintendo and other companies hooked me from a characterization standpoint. I also liked what Badd does outside his mech, that's a lot of fun. The writing in this set really is spot-on, and so is the actual set itself, with solid interactions, a lot of variety, and fun mechanics to give him a really interesting playstyle. The set makes great use of its inputs too, with no real filler moves in the mix. So yeah, read this set if you haven't already, it's one of the best in the contest.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've been working on something for a while now, but I guess since submission period has been over I'll have to keep an eye out for the next thread.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
NWEHEHE....NWEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

That's one "Nwe" and 8 "He"s.

FASSAD (Smash Daddy)

Smady stepped it up extremely this contest, keeping a high quality in tact while significantly upping his set count, and Fassad stands as to me the pinnacle of what he did this contest.

If I were to make a Fassad set, the natural thought would be to look into his combat-ready second and third forms, but Smady took the first form and ran with it, creating an extremely organic playstyle on Fassad's bossiness and Pigmaskness, his greed and duplicity, allowing Fassad to cybernetically augment himself as the match goes on, practically allowing someone to play out Fassad's transformation first hand. The Pigmask minions are extremely well done and I especially love how the military, yet somewhat comical, feel is gotten across in them, and it truly feels like a Pigmask ARMY instead of just "here's some random Pigmasks". Even Fassad's simple love of bananas becomes a key part of the moveset and a worthy successor to Darth Kong. The use of moves like PK Freeze was impressive and things like the Flea Bomb, that would seem extremely hard to make viable, are presented quite exquisitely here, the Punishizer in particular seems like it would be difficult to do much with, yet Smady creates a rather glorious grab game with it, without going so overboard it becomes excessively tacky or interruptive.

Topping it off though is the fantastical characterization of the moveset, Fassad's character practically oozes out of the moveset, from his carelessness with bananas to his willingness to lie and cheat even his allies, and how his greed can both be his greatest undoing and an asset, stuff like telling a "little white lie" for the upgrades was wonderful and things like the PK abilities, with them mirroring the Lucas ones in ways, are great, and even the Pigmask minions feel full of flavor. It really helped elevate the set above and beyond.

It's my favorite Smady set to date, what else needs to be said? Go out and read it on your brand new Happy Box!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
A NOTE FROM LEADERSHIP:

Vote count for this contest has been raised from 36 votes to 40. You now get 8 Super Votes, 16 Regular Votes and 16 Weak Votes. The OP has been updated to reflect this.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
TREVENANT (JOE!)

Trevenant was one of JOE!'s two sets this contest and, of the two grass types, certainly the superior one (but not Serperior).

Trevenant is a nice example of utilizing recoil effectively, as with his Wood Hammer and Horn Leech attacks providing their own self-fueling system, especially when upped with the strong Curse special, and Wood Hammer is rather impressive in taking the King Dedede Down Special and making it rather good, especially when combined with Trevenant's final Special: Shadow Force. This simple duplicate-esque move permiates the set and allows a shockingly large variety of options, even just with the Specials, without feeling overpowering, feeling as organic as the tree itself.

Moves like Forward Tilt and Down tilt not only serve good uses in the moveset itself, but especially open up Shadow Force possibilities, and the grab, while sometimes iffy, provides an excellent desyncing chance and has rather unique uses as far as the Shadow Force duplicates go. The smashes feel similar to improved Sceptile smashes and all of them feel impressive, with the Forward Smash wrapping working nicely as an edgeguard with Shadow Force duplicates and Up Smash letting you use Shadow Force to block attacks via trees, it's all quite good stuff really.

If you've already read Trevenant, consider giving it a harder look, you might just find more depth than you first realized nestled in the roots.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
10 - COPYPASTE

Copypaste as a character badly wants to showcase his strength and raw masculinity as much as physically possible, doing his job as a giant robot to wreak destruction. While not written in first person, the writing style very much so gets the character across as if it were being written by him. The moveset itself isn’t always the most impressive with some basic terraforming and playing around with rock “constructs”, but Copypaste is as enthusiastic about it as can be, saying that other heavyweight male antagonists are mere weaklings next to him. Copypaste can’t embody these stereotypes as much as he wants with his awkward bodyshape (ironic since he loves it so much), but he tries his hardest anyway to try to be a traditional heavyweight antagonist, almost as if he were trying to compensate for a lack of legs to stomp down with.

A good chunk of the moveset is dedicated to dealing with Copypaste’s status as a giant tank robot and enabling him to be viable despite it such as in the excellent nair. While Copypaste is very loud about his appearance, he would probably prefer to be a more simplistic heavyweight male antagonist with an actual body. Of course, this is heavily prevented by the franchise he comes from which is exclusively made up of anime girls, with Mr. Badd as the sole exception. Copypaste fights those lightweight female protagonists who would combo him for his right to be an HMA. Copypaste is no stranger to the alienation he feels in the Smash 4 roster of non stop pretty lightweight protagonists after having come from his home series, and his disdain for all of these people is portrayed perfectly in the moveset. While Copypaste would like to hold his own with the best of the Warlord library, he is designed more directly to fight in an environment against his most hated enemies.

9 - KOENMA

Like several of Smady’s other characters this contest, Koenma lacks the means to fight directly, at least without being a very simplistic set in the vein of Ness with generic ki blasts. Smady has done a great job coming up with solutions for characters like King Korol to have movesets, but Koenma has no single end all be all answer like slavery. Koenma’s potential desperately has to be scrounged up from many different sources in order to make him a viable candidate for MYM standards, and while it can certainly come across scattered it’s undoubtedly a very accurate representation of the character. The moveset is so dense, every single move has so many things going on, but Smady does his best to manage to cobble the moveset together into something functional and coherent, unlike George Lucas.

While the core of how the character would fight relies on the barriers and soul separation, the minions/Jorge are the more mandatory part of capturing Koenma’s character, and they provide the more interesting interactions/execution to carry the moveset forward through the tougher input sections. When the moveset is exclusively for the baby form, it would be a crime to not showcase his interactions with Jorge in the moveset in some way, and Smady goes for the direct route. With multiple characters and the potential to create an additional hurtbox for the foe, Smady is certainly playing with fire in this moveset balance wise, but the moveset is self aware enough to not get too carried away and plays with these sketchy concepts more respectfully than in the past.

This is Smady’s single moveset this contest for somebody that’s technically not evil aligned, a rare sight. Having to play the moveset on a more comic relief tone with Jorge rather than simply abusing him and making him disposable is a tight rope to walk on, but it manages to capture that element accurately. Portions of the moveset can come across marginally tacky, but with this kind of character it’s kind of expected and is still heavily restrained.

8 – L’BELLE

The development cycle of L’Belle was very slow and methodical, aiming for a very in-Smash moveset due to the character’s lack of potential to be anything but one, and Smady was absolutely determined to avoid tackiness. As an Ace Attorney set, the development cycle came across quite similar to Smady’s involvement in Manfred Von Karma. While I was not as involved with L’Belle as Smady was with Manfred, I rejected a few ideas that only made the process more difficult as Smady became more religious with the approach, refusing to use anything but the props from his existing animations. The base was quite strong for a very in-smash set to follow, now the problem was actually making it. Things only became more difficult when several moves had to be given spearless versions, and while they aren’t particularly impressive they still serve their basic playstyle function.

This development cycle continued further after the set’s release as Froy and myself to a lesser extent requested further edits to the moveset. I do believe the long argument with Froy did serve to strengthen the final product, primarily with the addition of shields being able to push gas as the last really defining element the moveset needed. While L’Belle doesn’t seem to be anything that fancy on the surface, he creates a lot of interesting match-ups with his perfume and interactions with the foe’s shield for one of the best movesets formed around it to date after several lackluster ones made in the past.

This was Smady’s first moveset and paved the way for his very character driven contest. Aside from not wanting to do anything “silly” with this weird character that would be a disservice to it, you can really feel the raw arrogance of L’Belle’s character oozing out from it. This can most obviously be found in the writing, which a couple found mildly uncomfortable – if you don’t find it humorous, you probably should find it uncomfortable, as this character is firmly built up as a stereotype of that really pretentious guy you hate. No opportunity is missed for L’Belle to show his absolute disgust of his opponent – even in a mirror match where his foe looks identical to him, the issue is the fact that his opponent is somebody other than him.

7 – KING KOROL

While L’Belle was Smady’s first set in MYM 17, is was definitely King Korol that paved the way for the rest of Smady’s contest and served as the model. King Korol would simply be a very weak magician set without resorting to the use of slavery. While Korol pays some actual respect to his slavedrivers, the slaves themselves are possibly the most abused minions in the contest. It’s not even possible to play Korol as a beneficial king if you wanted to, as the slaves are killed after completing any action, die to any attack, and it’s difficult to keep them out for more than a couple of seconds. The slaves barely qualify as minions and more resemble props summoned by Korol and the slavedrivers – while it’s normally bad to use characters like this, it’s perfect for the “character” of the slaves.

While Korol can come across a bit uninvolved in his playstyle and it doesn’t go much beyond basic stage construction, it’s quite in-character for Korol to be so lazy, given he doesn’t do much of anything but sit back and enjoy the benefits of his position in the game, barely making an appearance or much of an effort in his boss battle. The more cowardly nature of Korol is portrayed well with the desperate attack/counter and a few other moves, while the meat of the moveset’s material is taken from the section of the game where you get to see his slavery in action such as the brilliant slave burial barrel, enabling you to dispose of any captured Kongs. That said, if Korol doesn’t take a more active role in the defense of his empire, he’ll have the foe easily run over him much like in his original game, encouraging a more active and interesting playstyle.

6 - CARIBOU

Caribou’s pieces of his set-up aren’t the most inherently interesting, but he makes up for it by being able to mix and match them in a myriad of fascinating ways. This is yet another one of Smady’s movesets that went through heavy editing, and while it was great to start with it has been made a lot more definitive since then. Being able to absorb portions of the set-up before sending them out into the swamp, piece by piece at your leisure, allows for great customization. Caribou can play very conservative if he wants and never let his constructs go to waste like many a defensive character, but he can also bring them out at very opportune times and locations to prepare for quite elaborate set-ups and generate bursts of offensive momentum.

The swamp itself provides most of the interactions to let you bring things up from different sides of the swamp, and the pseudo “pummel KO” drowning really helps to bring the set together. Interacting with the potential of an easily generated and absorbed pile of goop lets Smady interact with rather mundane objects in a much more interesting way by interacting with them through the main attraction of the moveset. Heavy set-up is generally not necessary either, as just having the goop out on stage in any form is easily accomplished and can be played with by itself in quite interesting ways with moves like the dashing attack and Side Special. While this guy’s characterization doesn’t come across as strong as some of Smady’s other works, you still get a great sense of what a creeper this guy is as he lurks through the mud, waiting to lurch out at you. Even the aerials, where you think a character that has to interact with his ground based set-up would suffer, manage to come across pretty interesting, even if they are still largely used as shorthops.

5 - LADJA

Ladja finds a happy medium between a character with countless projectiles on half the inputs in their moveset and a character who only focuses on one big one. Both face difficult match-ups against reflectors and various MYM characters for different reasons, but Ladja has the best of both worlds by being able to split up his big fat projectile his set centers around into smaller ones before reforming them back together on demand. Ladja also has a rather inventive and balanced way for dealing with reflectors by being able to reflect his projectile within the move that summons it by simply pressing that input again to redirect it, without having an obnoxious reflector of his own that makes life for enemies difficult and just wastes an input slot. Ladja is able to manipulate his projectile(s) heavily just within his presented specials without needing that many moves that just manipulate them for the sake of interactions with a very intuitive control scheme that serves as a very good model for this kind of moveset.

Ladja’s two other core specials are his “tether” and his petrification. Increasing the foe’s falling speed with petrification is a very difficult status effect to get much mileage out of, but Smady manages quite well, using it to do things like make his aerials fairly interesting. Smady realizes that a character like this has no use for a traditional tether that actually keeps a projectile based character like Ladja close to the foe, and comes up with an inventive one that largely serves as a guideline for his projectiles to follow in unique ways from move to move. While at its’ core the tether is a simple projectile “lock on”, it is used more interestingly than that throughout the moves, especially considering the fact that Ladja can target his projectiles with the move instead of just the foe. Most moves largely just function differently if Ladja has a tether out rather than performing arbitrary interactions, making this feel a lot more organic than more traditional projectile spammers with projectiles and interactions on every attack.

4 – DR. MARCUS

Dr. Marcus is a minion set with rather weak minions at the forefront, and while they can scale to be respectable it’s very difficult to get them that far if a regular character just had Marcus’ minion summoning special. Marcus is adept at fighting alongside his minions, though, moreso than any of Smady’s many other minion sets posted this contest. This is arguably his most interaction heavy set, as many of his moves can potentially be beneficial by hitting both the foe and a minion at the same time with moves like usmash and dair. Of course, the big highlight is his Down Special tentacle which not only enables him to fuse minions with each other like with his Up Special tentacle, but to himself, letting him move around to carry their hitboxes around with him.

Marcus can resume leech piles he started later, use his bthrow to cause a minion to start powering up by itself, and can attach or detach minions as necessary in order to keep fighting, as he has a disadvantage of lag if a minion dies while attached to him, preventing him from just attaching everything that moves and not thinking about it. The cap on Marcus’ set-up isn’t particularly high and he will generally have to continue the process of set-up throughout the match as things will keep getting destroyed, forcing Marcus to actually use his large kit of interactions to adapt to fighting the foe. Beyond his direct fight against them, Marcus also has a lot of room for creativity by his ability to literally combine minions with usmash/tentacles.

3 – WILLIAM BIRKIN

This moveset is one of the most heavily reworked from when it was posted and read by the main voter base, and the original set serves as a good demonstration of how good the set is by how it corrected absolutely everything wrong with it to make something that you can really sink your teeth into. Transforming multiple times over the course of the match is a very interesting proposition, and while the main purpose of the first 2 forms is simply surviving to reach the third form, they still have their own interesting nuances on their own. The set’s appeal comes in with form 3, of course, which enables him to mix and match the attacks of the other two forms with his own to create ideal attacks.

With his multiple arms, form 3 can do multiple attacks at once, providing more depth to the formula of possible arm combinations. Because of the earlier forms having to be gone through to reach form 3, it can come across as a very fun “boss set” designed for 1v1 in a manner resembling Cornello’s rebound form. The moveset can mix in ground chunks and form 1 Birkin’s pipe into the mix to really get going, with the idea of multiple limbs enabling him to carry multiple objects while still having free limbs for attacking. If he didn’t have enough tools at his disposal already, Birkin can even copy a few of the foe’s attacks before mutating even more new appendages to perform them. While Birkin doesn’t have a ton of character to portray when he’s a mindless killing machine, the player is largely controlling the G-virus itself, mutating Birkin’s body to adapt to the situation to overpower the foe as efficiently as possible.

2 - FASSAD

Fassad is up there in the top candidates for benefitting from raw set-up time, and the massive amounts of minions and upgrades Fassad can obtain never fail to impress. Fassad is calling in for back up from the pigmask army with 2 of his specials, with Fassad getting better support based off how much time he gets to complain. Fassad can potentially complain about multiple things at the same time while eating a banana, using 3 set-up specials at once. Fassad has such potential to take advantage of his superiors in this set it’s ridiculous – while the army will normally only give him certain upgrades if he’s in desperate need of aid and has taken battle damage, he can potentially lie about how beaten up he is so he can order some horns to essentially use as megaphones to yell into his walkie talkie louder and complain more. While he’s doing that, he can eat a banana, then hand the banana peel to the colonel when he arrives to dispose of once he’s been summoned to the battlefield, making great use of him.

Despite Fassad’s very high rank in the army that enables him to abuse them like this, he is very cowardly and does his best to not participate in the battle, only half heartedly using the PSI abilities of Ness and Lucas on non Special inputs. Half the time he uses his attacks, he’ll be doing something like freezing over his own minions with PK Freeze. In case the pigmask colonel gets too fed up with taking out your trash and getting frozen over, you can give him a shock collar to keep him in line while you continue complaining about your troops being too “incompetent” to defeat Lucas’ powerful forces and eating bananas.

While the moveset may sound like a heavy interaction playground that doesn’t interact with the foe, it’s kind of shocking just how many options there are while still enabling him to fight. Despite summoning minions from 2 long lists, that’s all confined to one special, and the upgrades are primarily used on Fassad himself. Several of his moves get direct improvements to enable him to more directly combat the foe if the player isn’t as overly lazy as Fassad is. That said, Fassad is still adept at fighting alongside minions, and it’s outright bananas how much crap Fassad can potentially get out on the stage while still being quite a balanced moveset.

1 – MR. BADD

Mr. Badd brings creativity formerly delegated to the land of boss sets in Ameno Sagiri to standard Smash Bros with his large focus on making minions based off the foe’s moveset. This can potentially be just as scary as something like Ameno, but requires a lot of hard work on Badd’s part in a way that feels incredibly satisfying to pull off. Badd can store data on his produced Amiibos in his mech suit before eventually storing it in the headquarters. The mech is destroyed whenever Badd recovers, but the HQ will survive even when Badd dies, potentially letting Badd store data over stocks in one of the more interesting and well thought out mechanics done in MYM, as it’s usually playing with fire to not just have a character’s set-up reset on their death.

For Mr. Badd, his headquarters is more important than his life at times – any good entrepreneur should be prepared to die for their business, after all. While the headquarters is a longstanding construct that will often last for upwards of 30 seconds, the special that summons it doesn’t just do nothing, and is efficiently used to both reposition the headquarters and turn it into a powerful hitbox to let Badd throw around his corporate weight. When Badd is on top of the world and has a thriving business of selling Amiibos to all the fans eating up his shallow, copied product, he no longer has to be subservient as the business then serves him, with plenty of reward found in the aerials as he comically abuses the HQ to crush any competition trying to get into his market space.

Mr. Badd’s grab-game is the meat of his customization with the Amiibos, though there’s plenty of great interactions throughout the set. He can greatly manipulate their AI to enable them to improve and become better rip offs of the opponent, as well as give them access to Badd approved attacks such as Bowser’s shell, or inserting the creatures of his own design to flesh them out. If the foe isn’t providing enough material for you to be “artistically inspired by”, you can even have your minions fight each other in order to produce more material, giving Badd a great countermeasure against armchair critics who don’t engage Badd directly and just sling mud at his achievements. Of course, when the minions largely improve by interaction with the foe, the moveset does a great job of fighting while performing set-up, particularly when Badd can grab a foe and a minion simultaneously. The more defensive measures of Badd’s playstyle largely revolve around defending the headquarters, and considering the fact he can spring it up in new locations and has several interactions with it to turn it into a hitbox and/or heal it, Badd may be better off looking into ambush marketing than damage control.

Last edited:

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944

Dr. Marcus
by Smash Daddy
A fantastic minion making and customising set. Dr. Marcus has many options for utilizing and combining the leeches that he makes with interactions that feel natural, and there are tons of interactions. It's pretty tricky to make a heavy set-up set that doesn't slow down the action packed tempo of a match, but Marcus does it really well with how he attacks to build up. The balance also feels quite good, being a character that starts out with weak minions but starts to rock once he gets momentum going. All-in-all, there's just very few crtitizism you can say about Dr. Marcus.

Last edited:

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Last minute ads with Kiwi~! Hope you're clenched.

SEALSDRAMON

Flawed but I'm biased towards Digimon, what can I say. I like the idea of a stealth based fighter like this, which is why I liked that ol' Predator set from a while back, and it's why I like this one.

The invisibility is functional, which is rare for invisibility mechanics... but it's a little too functional, you know?

I mean, it's hard for the opponents to counter it, is what I'm saying. Too hard. He can be seen when he attacks but that's about it, he doesn't even show when he gets hit. I mean, that's cool, but like I said, kinda unfair. Maybe make it so moves like the Scouter (which is awesome by the way) give away his position a little, yeah?

Overall though, one of my favortie sets this contest, won't lie. It's not one of the best, not by a long shot, but it's just cool to me, and cool sets, as far as I'm concerned, get my vote more often than not. Good on ya, mate.

TRIFORCE HEROES

The only Muno set I'll ever praise.

Your best work, you deserve recognition for this. It's not a great set, no. But it's still a big step up from your earliest work, showing real growth from you, which I'm proud of. After a while the 'combos' and stuff seem superfluous, sort of just having them for the sake of having them to keep the other Links relevant, but other than that, it's solid. Good job, kouhai. You get to live another day.

PARASECT

gud set bugshroom. pokemon. like set, gud job.

Project M-ness is questionable because I don't like the things the engine stood for, but otherwise it's solid, aside from stuff like the crouch and boring-ish aerials/tilts. The throws are pretty great, though, love the down throw.

Powder manipulation shenanigans seem like they'd be really fun to actually play, and like I said in Sealsdramon's ad, if it seems fun/cool and I want to, like, actually try playing the set in a real game, I like the set enough to vote for it. Thus, it has my vote. Yippee doodle dandy.​

Smady

Smash Master
Important!

Advertising is being extended another week to accommodate all the people who didn't get out their ads. We got many great ads, I especially loved that top ten, but there's clearly plenty of people who need more time. Get your ads in before the end of this Sunday PST to qualify to vote, as we're not extending it any further after that.

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Tri Force Heroes

One of Muno's more creative sets, a bit more experimental compared to his other sets but one still worth mentioning, but was likely ignored for the most part due to being smack dab in the middle of a bunch of somewhat mediocre sets, or just being simply TL;DR. The large focus on teamwork really shines in this set, some notable examples are things like creating a intimidating moving totem of rowdy links or cleverly commanding a teammate to stay there and charge an attack, buff your next attack, protect your team with a shielding link or move them around with a boomerang. There are lots of cool setup options in this set and I think It really gives off the vibe Muno wanted. If you haven't I suggest you give this a read should you not have yet, it may seem TL;DR but trust me it's definitely worth it.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
THE TOP TEN NOT BEST SETS IN MYM17
imo lol
Friendly reminder that I'm not trying to make enemies on the internet, pls dont kill me

10 - Groudon
This set doesn't make burn my eyes or anything, actually, it does, but at least it didn't choose barf green as its color or anything like that. Even then, its color scheme includes it being written entirely in orange with a bit of... blue? Outside of the aesthetics, the set is very, very bare bones, to the point where you can see Groudon's bones. It has a good idea as a foundation, i'll give it that, drought seems an okayish idea enough, but it's only used for some vanilla extra damage on some moves, which due to being bare bones usually only add up to "Groudon spews a star-shaped blast of fire. It deals 10% and has good knickknack. It travels 2 SBB." knickknack? KNICKKNACK? bluh, next one.

9 - Franky
Like Groundy over here, Franky doesn't make my eyes burn, and actually has good enough looks to it, and could actually pass as just a newcomer set with just slight problems around stuff like detail and playstyle, but OH MY GOD IS HE ATTACKING WITH HIS HAIR?
Yes, that's right folks, who cares if this is a set for a giant armed cyborg pirate, WHO CARES, who cares if they actually have moves other than hair, who the hell cares. Why have that when we can instead have the guy attack with his hair gag stuff and bottles of coke? This my friends is an example of trying to stand out by doing something "unique" with a character, but doing unique stuff with the wrong guy and the wrong place, especially considering how one could do a Franky set without not even touching his hair stuff being maybe a cool taunt or something of the like.
What I also find funny of the set is its priorities, I mean, sure, Franky has some cool special attacks, but who the hell cares about those, let's just skim through those and not mention them ever later on, after all, we still haven't gone to the meat and best part of the set, the hair Up Smash, a move which I decide to have fun differences with charges, something that would look just lame in the specials.

8 - Isaac
do you know that kid from way back ago in school who used to think he was the freaking best because he had the coolest looking yugioh cards? yea, this set is that kid.

7 - FMA Duder
Action: a set that is written entirely in red with moves that are only more than two lines because they have stupid Action/Use stuff made by some guy with a lolz randem Shrek avatar which doesn't even freaking state the damage percentages, with some Monado Arts ripoff that is only stated once and forgotten forever.
Use: None

6 - unexpected fighter much lolz randem
I can just imagine what this guy was thinking when he wrote this set "heh, if cloud can enter smash, then who else can? kek, dis set suuuure is unexpected!". And what later ensued was magnificent, a set made entirely of one line moves written in regular smashboards white with a red title and a couple of differently sized titles, oh and of course, of course, of course, of COURSE, I cannot forget the random ****ing image of a larch tree that is literally the first result on google image search for "Larch Tree", truly beautiful.
O, and this set is a load of crap.

5 - Junk Warrior and Junk Sychron
(I'm pretty sure I ****ed up the name of the other guy, but I'm not really caring atm).
It was good of me to talk about yu-gi-oh in the Isaac part of this, because now I can reveal that this whole time I knew nothing about Yu-Gi-Oh! dun dun dun! I think the only thing I know about yugioh is that the cards are cool and that there's a carnivore cheeseburger card or something. Either way in the process, you can guess that I understood ****ing nothing out of this set. I mean, for pete's sake, put a freaking image for these guys! And the only one solid color trope of these sets returns once more in this set, with the set, alongside its cheeky singular lines of move descriptions, also describing stuff like the trash people using some trash shield or something, which I guess I'm just supposed to know how it looks.
With a set with "junk" in the name, you can just tell what I think of it. Hint: it's junk.

4 - Puggly
no.

3 - Chief Mendez
lol gg great set, got me a great laugh, good job rychurino, i never though an old man with no legs hugging me would be my doom.

2 - Springtrap
Note: this image has been engulfed and replaced by an ad for Home Depot

"I couldn't read it because it actually made my ears hurt" -beonichute

Springtrap will forever be known as one of the biggest memes to come out of MYM 17. Words cannot describe Springtrap. For a clear understanding of Springtrap, just imagine everything that can fundamentally be wrong with set. Thought of it? Great, said set is a mere fraction of what Springtrap is, with random horror props being used by a bunnyman, excessive and long

linebreaks and of course, the freaking ads, which alongside the linebreaks and the random narrator changes make Springtrap not just be a bad set, but an advanced bad set, that represents Staffosmashing's sad story about how even with a virus ****ing destroying his computer and a broken space bar that on input creates a ****load of lines, Staffo still wanted to make a below mediocre set for a dear character from his favorite extremely scary guys, jumpscares are really scurry horror game, one which he decided to represent the franchise through moves like a chicken's beak, but a representation of a franchise nonetheless. These characteristics alone have made Springtrap not be just some early-contest set, but a living meme.

1 - Dorkseed
Ah yes, nothing like a good ol' unavoidable laser set with various minions and moves that are pretty much instant win buttons to finish this list of the best of the worst. Peace.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
~ Advertisements ~
Wow, the end of the contest already? Time flies by when you're absent for half of it. Oh well. After power-reading this contest and ranking sets for voting, I decided my advertisements would be for characters in my Weak Vote tier, ones that I don't recall much attention or praise for before and explain why they made it up on my list, and I am also using this time to comment a bit and explain why these sets are in the Weak Vote tier and not higher (besides competition). As such, the advertisements are split into two parts: The ad, explaining all the stuff I enjoy in the set, and the (b)ad, all the stuff that prevents it from being higher up in my mind and how future sets could improve on these designs. So, without further ado, let's jump into it. (Images link to their respective sets)

Starman
ChaosKiwi

The Ad
This moveset hasn’t drawn much attention, especially in the later portion of the contest, given it was part of the most misplaced movement for a while and was buried among his Star brethren. However, out of the Starman lot, Jack Knight is by far the best out of them. The interactions in the specials are genuinely interesting, and the use of physics without completely breaking the mechanics of the game adds further interest to the set. When first reading through the set, the Stellar Bursts lack promise and one might be discouraged about a standard projectile set, especially given the milktoast effects of the Bursts. However, the set saves it using the Repulsion Fields, which themselves are a cool concept. The ability to position projectiles and fighters around like that, as well as in a loop as mentioned, works well with the Black Hole, essentially a reverse of the Repulsion Field (with added damage). The two moves on their own, the Repulsion Fields and the Black Hole, already create a unique moveset, weaving the gravity of the battlefield (or Final Destination, or Gamer, or wherever you want to play) around Starman’s will. It opens interesting opportunities, such as knocking an opponent into a loop of Repulsion Fields that lead back to Starman, who has charged up a Smash, or the same effect by using a Black Hole to drag opponents towards one of Starman’s attacks. I’m also a fan of a ‘pre-emptive’ recovery move, and Antigravity’s increased jumping abilities are unique, rather than an actual attack. The smashes later on also add a fun element to the set and work well with the character, adding gravity, projectiles, and even converting opponents into projectiles as well (though not super useful in 1v1). The Up Smash could flow well into a Repulsion Field, excellent for knocking down aerial foes.

The (B)Ad
Unfortunately, past the specials, there is little that is great in the set. Antigravity’s secondary effect is neat but far too situational, only affecting objects, and only those objects which are physical. Competitive matches are not wrought with barrels, crates, beam swords, Mr. Saturns, etc., and actual character matchups will either be non-consequential such as against Donkey Kong or Fox, or crippling to a character like Link. Luckily, Antigravity has effects beyond the object manipulation, or else it would be a completely unappetizing move. The standards are frankly standard. The Forward Tilt is as follows:

“Jack grabs his Cosmic Rod's shaft and thrusts it forward with all of his might, aiming to impale his foe on the tip. In doing so, he charges the Rod with stellar energy at the tip, giving this move a sweetspot. If the foe is hit with the shaft or the tip during the initial thrust, they take 10% and are sent slightly upward, but otherwise the knockback is negligible at best.

Should the foe be hit by the energized tip at the very end of the move's animation, however, the damage is ramped up to 12%, which isn't huge but is noticeable nonetheless. The real boost is the knockback-- It can now KO at 140%, and does so completely horizontally, meaning it's entirely possible to use this to blast foes into a Repulsion Field, should you so wish!”

While not a criminally awful move, it’s very standard, and you attempt to utilize Starman’s powers into the tilt. Rather than some unique interaction using the energy to influence a Repulsion Field or Black Hole, it simply tries a Marthesque sweetspot system with a weird knockback influence that is supposed to be more helpful than vertical knockback. Despite it being good for positioning opponents into a Repulsion Field, the Fields have set knockback, giving them less killing potential in most cases than the un-sweetspotted F-Tilt. The standards are filled with moves of this caliber, and while it certainly fits for a Smash moveset, it doesn’t match the Specials in term of innovation. The aerials at least attempt interactions with the Specials, though no more than increasing usefulness when nearby a Black Hole or Repulsion Field, and the Grab Game is a little weird, between the pummel changing the throws for no explained reason to the freezing opponents for up to a full second in the midair. However, I’m not advertising this set for no reason. I genuinely do enjoy the set in the Specials and Smashes, and with the aerials and grabs you did attempt something unique. However, the Standards are dull and the other moves need better meshed together with the Specials before it (and other sets) can move up into higher voting ranks.

Alakazam
FrozenRoy

The Ad
The first 70-75% of this set is very enjoyable. You take concepts that normally would be ridiculous to use for a Pokemon like Alakazam’s fighting moveset, such as Focus, Teleport, and Kinesis, and turn them into interesting and sometimes threatening attacks. The moves, especially the Specials, do feel characteristic of a super-intelligent being. Alakazam has a diverse movepool in the games with devastating attacks but you have picked moves with more finesse and strategy, perfect for a frail supercomputer of a Pokemon. Focus has an excellent goal for a buffing move, providing different effects for Alakazam’s different moves, and draining the Focus on sufficiently powerful or viable uses of the Focus. Teleport is somehow stretched into several paragraphs of explanation for what would normally be an incredible simple move, and the ability to escape death in such a way accurately represents the frustration of wild Abra’s Teleport in the games. Also, the ability to Teleport twice and to attack in and out of a Teleport add meat to the move, and on a heavier character might even be broken. The Smashes, though not consecutively appearing in the moveset, are all interesting concepts for Smashes, and Future Sight is undoubtedly among my favorite’s of Alakazam’s moves, providing a useful point of interaction for other moves.While not a set meant to be taken super seriously, it’s got plenty of thought into the interactions and has a fun Froy-dien charm.

The (B)Ad
Then you get halfway through the Aerials and it becomes obvious the set was scrapped at one point. Everything past here dwindles, and there is little effort in the last quarter of the set.There’s not much to say about this because there’s not much there to talk about, but even still you’ve put in enough effort to make at least one of the Throws relevant to the rest of the set. However, other things before this point can be mentioned that leave a bad taste. Recover, though a good concept and a characteristic move of Alakazam, should very much use Focus. However, instead it is an alternate to Focus, which, while useful for buffing out Alakazam’s moveset, will rarely outweigh the ability to shave off 10% damage at no charge. Combined with support for clearing the way for Recovery, it is far too broken and unintegrated a move, especially when compared to other Specials. Similarly, Kinesis feels isolated, though it supports other parts of the moveset. Aside from Recovery and the last chunk of the moveset, though, I did enjoy my read of this set and I do think it has very redeemable qualities that form a veyr solid basis for a moveset.

Princess Nautilus
ProfPeanut

The Ad
This set is the first I’d ever heard of Cucumber Quest, and it paints the game? comic? cartoon? in a positive light for me to look into post-reading. In concept, I’m reminded of Reiga’s Steven Universe while reading this, a fairly peaceful character powered up by their companion. However, unlike Steven Universe’s Lion, Liquus actually feels interactive within the set. The ability to heal up Liquus and have him return to battle is fantastic for a minion type dealio. The interactions with Liquus are a nice balance between, for instance, Steven Universe, who has an immortal caretaker in Lion, versus Rosalina, who is functionally the same with or without the disposable Luma. There’s real risk and reward by keeping Liquus by Nautilus’ side or sending him out into battle, and Liquus provides offensive utility in either case, unlike some proposed partners who are inept when separated. As mentioned above in Kiwi’s Starman ad, I am a big fan of recovery moves that are indirect recovery, providing the tools to assist a recovery, in this case being the Power of Positive Superarmor. You also go above and beyond into quickfalling and dashing, which while at a glance may seem odd also give Nautilus the means to rush towards Liquus, helping aid their reunion. Moves that are changed by Liquus’ absence don’t always hurt Nautilus in the long run, either, such as the Dash Attack, which is improved by Liquus (and provides a very nice visual image). The throws also do something interesting in that Liquus is actually hampered without Nautilus around, adding more to the strategy to the interactions between Liquus and Nautilus. In short, the writing here is very enjoyable, and this set is a well-thought out homage to a character that you clearly care about, with some neat minion / companion interactions throughout that avoid being crippling to lose or irrelevant either way.

The (B)Ad
Unfortunately, while Nautilus and Liquus have plenty of interactions with each other, the moves themselves are isolated. Electrify creates a damaging buff to all of his own attacks and little else besides the immediate attack. If nothing else, Splashback could provide unique traits from electrified Liquus. Even utilizing the Royal Instrument of Summoning in attacks (thought a cell phone-thing is not a particularly effective weapon) which gains electric properties while an electrified Liquus is stored inside of it would be a positive interaction. Many of Nautilus / Liquus’ Standards are lackluster outside of the dual hitboxes, and a beefing up of these moves with more complex interactions would boost this set, and future sets, greatly. Generally common criticism with movesets, just poor fleshing out and integration of moves outside of the Specials hinder the set’s ability to succeed into higher voting tiers, but nonetheless I still greatly enjoy Princess Nautilus’ set and hope to see more sets of this caliber, or beyond preferably.

-=-=-=-
Fun contest to all! It was nice to see some newer people put out their moveset feelers, such as Reiga or Muno, or in some cases to watch movesetters retract said feelers and enter a state of isolation from MYM (oops). While it wasn't my strongest contest I do not regret being a part of it and wish everyone luck in the voting process! See ya 'round for MYM18!

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Well, if you've changed an entire move, that might disqualify the set from voting
OK. Can I just repost the set on MYM 18 with all of the changes?
Or can I edit the set after the voting has finished? Because TBH I haven't quite finished edits for either of my sets, I'm planning to put customs moves in Alica Vassin and Akullotsoa's big edits haven't been finished yet.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
OK. Can I just repost the set on MYM 18 with all of the changes?
Or can I edit the set after the voting has finished? Because TBH I haven't quite finished edits for either of my sets, I'm planning to put customs moves in Alica Vassin and Akullotsoa's big edits haven't been finished yet.
You can edit a few moves completely during ad period (which ends on Sunday), the part about that in Froy's post was an error / outdated if I'm not mistaken. The week after though, during voting period, editing your sets may result in disqualification.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
You can edit a few moves completely during ad period (which ends on Sunday), the part about that in Froy's post was an error / outdated if I'm not mistaken. The week after though, during voting period, editing your sets may result in disqualification.
Oh, so I can make as much edits as I want now up until the voting period? Nice! :)
But will it still have a chance to be voted for if it is only finished editing at the end of the ad period? Will people still vote for it even if it wasn't finished in the ad period?

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
CLAWS OF ECH
Alright, I'm gonna be straight with you guys: Nightshade is absolutely NOT a perfect moveset. I wouldn't even say it's a great moveset. But you know what? It's fun, and it works. I'm not so secretly a lover of stealth characters in pretty much everything, so this set obviously appeals to me in a big way, and I think it's worth a re-read to help fill out your vote list with sets with actual quality. Do I think it deserves to be top 10? No, but I think it's definitely good enough to crack the top 50 best sets of this contest.

Sportsball Woman
So, yeah, Jamie knows a lot more about the inner workings of smash bros than most of us, and it shows here with Daisy: he manages to make a fun moveset that's incredibly in-character and also incredibly close to a moveset that could feasibly appear in smash bros and ALSO that is just a really good moveset. There's a pretty great amount of detail, every possible variable in a move is discussed in detail, making even something as innocuous as a kick interesting within the moveset. Daisy is a fantastic moveset and definitely worth checking out.

Notorious L.U.B.B.A

It was all a dream
I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine
Hangin' pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl
I let my tape rock 'til my tape pop
Smokin' weed and bamboo, sippin' on private stock
Way back, when I had the red and black lumberjack
With the hat to match
Remember Rappin' Duke, duh-ha, duh-ha
You never thought that hip hop would take it this far
Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I rhyme tight
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade
Born sinner, the opposite of a winner
Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner
Peace to Ron G, Brucey B, Kid Capri
Funkmaster Flex, Lovebug Starsky
I'm blowin' up like you thought I would
Call the crib, same number same hood
It's all good​

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
William Birkin
While I suppose it can't quite compete with Mr. Badd from an execution standpoint, William Birkin is probably my favorite set conceptually from this contest. Custom minion is already a pretty cool concept, but what Birkin does instead is allow you to functionally play as one, but not without some effort. While you start off in the fairly limited first form, as he takes damage, he evolves into a more and more terrifying threat in a far more exciting fashion than Lucario. Once he hits the third form, the set gets truly exciting as he gains the ability to combine three different types of arms, further enhanced when you consider he also can wield a chunk of the ground or his traditional Steel Pipe, and hell there's a specific reward for combining the two. You can even take a piece of the opponent's moveset to add onto your own to create some truly horrific combinations, but its all balanced surprisingly well as the more attacks you overlap, the more lag you experience. After receiving some criticism that the earliest version of the set was not nearly the fullest use of this concept, Smady went out of his way to make sure every move felt purposeful despite the many variations. Its very lengthy sure, but the amazingly cool concept and well thought out execution makes it more than worth it.

Caribou
I've always enjoyed a good projectile set and last contest I advertised Vander Decken, which this set serves as something of a spiritual successor too. I'd argue Caribou is much better than that set, because it has way more fun with the later input sections and keeps an insanely consistent level of quality, and also the concept interests me a fair bit more. Caribou can store weapons and projectiles in his ooze-like body, which he can then spread across the stage as a swamp, scattering them throughout it. Should he remove the swamp, he can revert the projectiles to their original dangerous state, but there's plenty of benefit to just leaving the swamp as a swamp too with the many ways he can manipulate it. Arguably though the setups themselves are what are most fascinating about the set, with the insane multi-layer traps Caribou can build out of the weapons he makes. That's not to say he doesn't play off them well, especially in the grab game where he can put all this material into a swampy ground chunk with the opponent for example. Its a really fun ride with a great deal of depth to it, and never loses so much self-awareness as to become a slog to play, which you would think it easily could be with this character.

Count Dooku
Dooku generated some excitement when it came out on account of being the first Froy set in a while, and of surprisingly high quality at that. It was quickly buried by the hype for Depressed Garbage Citizen, but Dooku is still a pretty fun set in its own right. It follows a similar pattern to previous force users Mace Windu and Darth Vader from past contests, but its learned from their mistakes. It introduces a ground chunk projectile but unlike those sets it actually provides some fun interactions with it, like the ability to chop it up or make it fall apart in midflight, or just boost it exceptionally hard with FSmash. More exciting though is the set has one of the best takes on meter mechanics in years, creating a really fun fighting style for Dooku that is very rewarding of player skill. There's plenty of power to be had in overdriving a force attack, but that will expend your whole meter. You can instead spend it on follow ups to hold out until you want it most, though that just means you're going to have to keep up more consistent aggression. While some criticism was leveled against the set on release for how it didn't reflect projectiles on every lightsaber move, I'd argue that makes the set far more interesting to play against, giving him a viable set of options against projectiles but not one that will ever invalidate them, making him a really exciting set to imagine fighting some of the more bullet hell-ish MYM characters. I'd sure like to see how a match between Dooku and the above advertisement would play out. Anyway, give it a look, one underwhelming special be damned its still one of the more enjoyable sets this contest.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
I finished editing Akullotsoa, however I may still be able to improve it. Can you still edit sets after the contest?

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944

Lubba
by Master Warlord​

Lubba is a puppet fighter set in the same style as Rosalina, unsurprisingly enough, but it takes it a step further with more ambitious concepts and great execution. Lubba has many play features going for him, with a star bit ammo mechanic, teleportation, and even two separate grab games for Lubba and his hungry luma. What forms the centerpiece of this set, however, is the ability to feed hungry luma enough to turn it into a planet. All of the mechanics come together in a natural and very clever way. It's also nice to have a terrforming set that can create terrain to terraform.

Trevenant
by JOE!​

Joe shows his Pokemon mastery again with Trevenant. A large and slow fighter, Trevenant actually doesn't that awkward thanks to his ghostly tools that allow him to trick the opponent and also give a large stage presence. This set is very fitting for the ghost tree with the use of clones, curses, and tree roots that all come together in a creative and pleasant way.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
So last contest, I posted a bunch of plans of every character I know that I would remotely consider for a moveset, with no intention of getting to all of them, but the possibility of coming to them in later contests. It worked out fairly well, as Blocks, Polpo, and the Mountain were all selected for movesets and were posted on those plans. Since they were successfully made, they've been removed from the updated list of plans.

Lord Morgan, Kon, and Slon were from material I hadn't seen yet when I made the last one (I was in the middle of FOTNS, so I was aware of it but hadn't seen Morgan). Lubba I had considered in the past pretty strongly and came up with some of the basic concepts, but forgot about it and came back to it later.

I'm reposting the same list of "plans" here, with many additions.

Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle

One Piece

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

Dragon Quest

Fist of the North Star

Yu Yu Hakusho

Zatch Bell

Dragonball

Warcraft

Mario

Misc.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

(don't kill me for the low-quality Google image preview)
HEAVYWEIGHT FEMALE PROTAGONIST
Regina mainly gets props for pulling off a variety of standard "don't do this" MYM tropes without being tacky. This is a set which manages to have item creation on a jab and still integrate it smoothly into the jab combo and the set overall. She has a DTilt which doubles as a trap, but still feels natural. Outside of that, she fights in many ways like your standard HMA, with a variation on the typical ground chunk and plenty of super armour, this time exploited to play with explosives at close range. The set is at its best where the variety of ways to play with bombs in melee combat are concerned, allowing for fun and unnecessarily elaborate setups to deliver explosives to the foe's face. And of course, all the interactions with bombs can be applied to any other throwing item as well, so she's just as fun in a casual setting as she is in a competitive one.

Unusually, the set feels at its weakest where the ground chunk is concerned. While the ability to launch a stalagmite flying as a projectile seems like a fun trick indeed, the set spends too much time dwelling on the ability to ride the stalagmite as an approach, which doesn't seem executed all that well. The details on the interactions are necessary in order to avoid unanswered questions, of course, but they still feel like a low point overall. The bomb created on the jab also has unnecessary interactions and finicky details that seem to detract from its overall utility, or put the focus of the move in the wrong place. Additionally, the set might have benefited from a focus on shield pressure. A defining trait of heavyweights in Smash 4 is their ability to shatter a foe's shield in very few moves, giving them a threatening presence even though everything they do is so inherently unsafe.

Moves like the aerial Side Special get a lot of mileage out of just one input, allowing for a variety of offensive options. The playstyle also does a good job of making the character really feel like a heavyweight; she's not at all afraid to get hurt in the process of crushing her foes, and self-damaging tactics are outright encouraged, even though a safer playstyle is also perfectly legitimate. It's a refreshing change from many other female protagonist sets in MYM, which have similar self-destructive tendencies but are lightweights and concerned with watching their own percents as they're inevitably forced to take self-damage over the course of the match. Regina takes self-damage by choice, and she's tanky enough that she can do just that. It's a set that has a lot of fun being a not-HMA, and I'd say it's definitely worth the read.

SPOOKY TREE
Trevenant is an interesting concept, a set focused on mid-range camping without conventional projectiles. In fact, the closest thing Trevenant has to a conventional projectile, Curse, causes self-damage to fire! This projectile is key to his whole game plan, however, as the set has its fair share of fun with semi-arbitrary hard interactions against foes hit by Curse. While the interactions can be said to be arbitrary, they still add significant depth to the set. The Smashes, normals, aerials, grab and throws are all interesting and useful moves that contribute immensely to Trevenant's gameplay, especially when the duplicate created through the Phantom Force up special is considered. The grab in particular is Trevenant's main move at range, thanks to its interaction with Curse. Trevenant's weaknesses are also a deliberate consideration in the set, with it having very few options to deal with a foe's offensive pressure once they get close.

However, the set does have its faults, mainly in the form of messed up numbers in some instances. Curse doesn't give enough reward in its full damage over time effect to make up for the self-damage Trevenant takes when firing it, considering that not every Curse will hit even if Trevenant is extremely careful. This is especially true because all the interactions Trevenant gains between Curse and other moves all cause the active Curse to end instantly, cutting the reward short, and their usefulness is generally limited by how easy it can be for the foe to simply run away from Trevenant until the Curse ends, especially since the effectiveness of the interactions is generally based on how long the active Curse has remaining, with less remaining time being better. Trevenant as a whole feels undertuned, and this is especially evident in the Neutral Special, Wood Hammer. Three whole seconds to charge a move that deals only 29%? And Trevenant takes 7.5% self-damage minimum just getting it to full charge? Dedede's Jet Hammer is already a terrible move, and it "works" because it deals only 1% recoil to Dedede per second and doesn't cause recoil before reaching full charge, and because it deals a massive 38% fully charged! (Even in Dedede's case, the full-charge recoil is a punishment for fully charging it in the first place, because it's a far more potent KO move when released just before reaching full charge.)

Though Trevenant suffers from somewhat undertuned specials, it's still a very fun set with solid concepts. I'd definitely recommend it.

Knuckles is… a Knuckles set. It's very good at being a Knuckles set. There's not all that much to say about it precisely because it's so good at being a Knuckles set, but everything about reads as if it would flow quite smoothly. Grounded Drill Claw to aerial Drill Claw to Glide to air attacks, the combos are all there and they very much feel like Knuckles. This is a set that, while it doesn't try anything too spectacular, doesn't need to. It hits all the right notes and totally nails the character. The only aspect of the set that's even negotiable whether or not it needs to be there is the Neutral Special boulder. Everything else is mandatory. If you were to put Knuckles in Smash, this is really the only way to do it. I'd recommend reading this if you like Knuckles, because it does everything right that a Knuckles set could possibly do.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
ADVERTISING PERIOD IS OVER

Voting begins now! Those who posted 3 advertisements:

Reigaheres
Smash Daddy
Bionichute
Munomario777
FrozenRoy
MasterWarlord
ChaosKiwi
Dr. Slavic
Rychu
ForwardArrow
Conren
JamietheAuraUser

May proceed to vote. To do so, send your votes in to FrozenRoy AND MasterWarlord via conversation. With that, look forward to the Top 50!

On an entirely different note, here are set plans to look at for fun. Obviously won't get much if any done, but hey's it's fun to look at these kinds of things. These are just some for the time being, that I can think of right now.

...maybe

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
updated on a later page

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
SETS I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING IN MYM 18 AND OTHER FUTURE MYM CONTESTS
Since just saying a couple of sets with a higher chance of being made will probably just jinx me and have me do four more sets, I'll take the Warlord route this preview and just generally give off all of the characters that I would do sets for, and not just say the couple with the higher chance of being made next contest. Alongside trying to improve set quality, one of my objectives for next contest is to diversify more my moveset repertoire with different series and character types, I mean, this contest I only did an Undermeme and a couple of Lubba's Galaxies, that and the fact that there's still some waters I haven't touched that I want to, like, I don't know, an HMA or something, so there's still much, much, much room to improve and dwindle, which makes me hopeful for next contest.

UNDER❤TALE

Cucumber Quest

MOTHER/EarthBound

Metroid

Kirby

Pokemon

Miscellaneous

Oh, and let's not forget to adress the e
lephants in the room.

See you soon...

Last edited:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
A list of every character I am considering doing at the moment. Each franchise lists characters from highest to lowest priority; characters on the lists have almost no chance to of being made, but are there just to show you all and hey maybe they'd make a neat little jokeset.

MISCELLANEOUS

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Remember those other sets I said I was going to do? Yeah...I got lazy this year. Pohatu is essentially done (I have the most trouble linking the moves to each other for combos, etc) so I'll put him up next contest. The other bionicles I have some ideas for, but I probably won't do them all in a row. Another one I really want to do is Milla from Freedom Planet, and maybe the Marionette one, but that'll probably be toughest. In any case, I look forward to see this year's results.

TL:DR-Pohatu is done, will do the others, but may break it up with Milla and Marionette.

Last edited:

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
I promise to be more active next contest... is what I would say, if I actually felt obligated to. I might post more, who knows. I regret nothing.

Now then, let's get goin.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Since everyone else was doing it...I thought I'd make a list of movesets I have thought of before or plan to do in the future. Very unfinished, yes, but I am quite happy with the way it looks anyway, hopefully someone else finds enjoyment in it. A good deal of these images have videos embedded, take a look if you like!

UNDER❤TALE

RWBY:

Yu-Gi-Oh!

League of Legends

Warcraft and Hearthstone:

Magic: The Gathering

Defense of the Ancients 2:

Kingdom Hearts:

Homestuck:

Diablo:

.Hack:

SMT/Persona:

Star Wars:

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!:

Gargoyles:

Hellsing:

Misc:

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
~ OBLIGATORY BAND WAGON PREVIEW AND PLANS POST ~
These are characters I have something worked on, even if it's just a generalized playstyle to build upon when I get there. Can pretty much guarantee that not all will be done.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Why not? I'll join the bandwagon. Here are all sets I'm considering doing, in no particular order:

Fire Emblem

Pokemon

The Conduit

Skies of Arcadia

Viewtiful Joe

Dwarf Fortress
☺
☺
e
U
g
U