• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 17: Next contest begins March the 24th; get your Iron MYM'er 1st day sets ready!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Comment reply time, yay (if I leave something out, it's because I don't have much of anything to add or whatnot)

@Smash Daddy

"As a side note, I also have to compliment your use of sprites and how clear everything is, you also manage avoid getting into a convoluted writing style as it seemed you did in Sonic 2.0."
Thanks! c: those gifs took a while : p

"The flaw here is that it's all very dull and doesn't make a good argument for the character's uniqueness, as I feel like the boulder could have more impact on the other moves,"
The boulder is meant to be a simple, yet versatile tool (versatool?) that still plays into Knux's other options in a somewhat interesting manner despite a lack of hard interactions, mainly for combos and the like. Hit someone into a boulder with another attack as it falls, knock it into the air preemptively, that kinda stuff (plus the pressure it can put on foes). With that said, of course, feel free to throw any suggestions etc my way if you think it could be improved.

"but more than that is has bog standard aerials and grab game. There's simply very little interesting stuff going on there at all, making them very forgettable."
Yeah, they are pretty basic (maybe aside from uthrow). And while they may not be the msot interesting things in the world (especially in a purely hypothetical environment such as MYM), they get the job done. I agree that it'd probably be a good bit better and more memorable if they had some more unique stuff going on, but at the same time, they do have decent enough uses for aerials. As in, if you were able to play around with the set a bit, you'd likely find some combos, setups, etc when you combine them with other moves. But of course, this is MYM and you can't, so yeah it's not the most interesting read. : p

"Simply juggling the boulder is also not enough to make moves have a reason to exist in the playstyle."
Which attack(s) are you referring to?

"If your aim is to replicate a Smash Bros set, this would rank pretty low as far as interesting newcomers go, it's no Ryu, Cloud or Bayonetta in terms of creativity and effort. On a scale of that to Palutena or WFT, this is closer to the latter. I hope this is a decent analogy to get through to you on why your sets don't have much of a positive impact, despite the fact they could be seen in the game, as not all sets in the game are as good as one another. You don't have to be afraid of doing something impossible for the game when you look at the kind of mechanics Sakurai has introduced in Smash 4, there's plenty of new ground to be broken."
I don't really see it the same way -- while yes, the set is a lot more "standard" than a lot of MYM sets, it's got some decent stuff going for it as far as being unique in Smash. He's got a unique glide mechanic, variable-distance teleport/super-jump move, distant hitbox (dtilt), and juggleable projectile -- all of which can set up for a unique breed of combos (plus there's the enhanced priority stuff, an uthrow that can bring the foe wherever he wants, etc). In terms of mechanics, I'd argue that Knux is more unique than Cloud -- other than the Limit Break (which is pretty cool, and does make his set "worth it" or whatever), he's got a rather generic moveset. As for Ryu, he's essentially got a different control scheme, effective combos, and Focus Attack. Other than the control scheme, I'd say that Ryu and Knux are pretty even (or that Knux has a bit of an edge). But the control scheme does make him _really_ different in a way that isn't really comparable to individual moves (which is the focus of most Smash characters', and Knux's, uniqueness). As for Bayonetta, she's almost on a level of her own really, I won't argue that. lol

Palutena, WFT, and the like don't really have much at all in the way of uniqueness (I assume it's default Palu). Palutena has Reflect and maybe Autoreticle/usmash (other than that she's pretty standard), and WFT has a temporary buff/heal and awkward hitbox placements. I'm really not sure where the comparison. But then again, y'know, bias and whatnot.

Anyway. Thanks for the comment Smady! c:

Last edited:

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Question: Wheres a good place where I can upload images so I can then post them on MYM. These fourms don't allow downloaded pictures to be uploaded and using picture URL can be troublesome somtimes, escpeccily If you wanted to upload somthing like an OC image, series icon, logo ect. that was made by yourself.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Question: Wheres a good place where I can upload images so I can then post them on MYM. These fourms don't allow downloaded pictures to be uploaded and using picture URL can be troublesome somtimes, escpeccily If you wanted to upload somthing like an OC image, series icon, logo ect. that was made by yourself.
Imgur. Upload the image (drag it from the file explorer to the imgur main page), right click it, copy the URL, and paste it into either [ IMG ] tags or the image tool.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Fixed accidentally saying 3/3 instead of 3/4ths.
Good. :)
Jedi often use their lightsabers to reset, this is most commonly done by clashing until one or the other pushes off, which leads to the Jab having a clash mechanic. The battlefield reset comes from various similiar moves used by Count Dooku in The Clone Wars: For example in the video I linked in that post, the Anakin vs. Dooku battle in the dining room, Dooku uses a similiar move to this twice to push Anakin away from him. In the Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku battle at the end of that video, Dooku uses his lightsaber to push Obi Wan off of him and reset the battle and give him a 1v2 advantage twice, which is where I got the idea for this move along with other characters using it during The Clone Wars and some movies (Darth Vader vs. Luke). Note that Forward Tilt and Dash Attack also come from this battle. As for using the force to reset the battlefield, that is exactly what the Jab's force version does, using the Force to reset it better, and the Force is used to this effect multiple times in the set. As for kicking, I wanted to include 1 or 2 of these moves in the set, but there ended up just not being much room to fit it in logically, the most open spots were Back Aerial and Up Aerial but neither of this really allowed Dooku to use a kick as he normally does, so I simply excluded it as I felt it was not a big deal.
OK, thank you for clarifying. I understand now.
Huh? Force Lightning goes over 2 Battlefield Platforms in range, it has REALLY LONG range! That is about 2/3rds the ENTIRITY of Battlefield! (Battlefield is just a touch over 3 Battlefield Platforms in size.) It not having any range is not an issue because it has actually has insane range and I was worried it would do too much damage for that range. As for Up Smash, I did not make it as tall, but I do specifically note the attack is very WIDE, and considering the disjointed nature of the mood and size, it is probably one of the highest range Up Smashes in the game. These complaints are absurd.
2 Battlefield platforms is longer than I thoughts it was when I read it, but it's not that long. I would expect it to travel the length of the whole stage, if not more, since force lightning in Star Wars seems to travel indefinitely.
so that readers would not go through a phase where they thought they HAD to overdrive after grabbing someone.
Why would they think that? I didn't think that.
As for the placement of sections, I first knew what I was going to do with the Specials, Standards and Smashes moreso than Grab Game/Aerials until I'd finished the Specials, I enjoy talking about this kind of thing so here is why each input section is where they are.
OK, but you could've put them in a logical order after making the moves, before posting the set. Aerials being last is just stupid to me.
Specials: Pretty obvious to go first, the ground chunk from Neutral Special will be repeatedly referenced throughout the moveset and therefor pretty much must go first (every input section after references it in some way). Specials were ordered to give a sense of how they help Dooku fight: The ground chunk sets up approach defense, the ability to fire it out and help him approach, and is generally something you set up BEFORE a major engagement. Force Lightning is his move that then forces the foe approach or retreat, helping him use the ground chunk from the first move, while Down Special is an extremely powerful but difficult to use counter which works best to crush opponents once approached OR to break approaches. Thus they tell a story of how Dooku plays. Up Special therefor goes last.
That makes sense.
Standards: I knew that I wanted Dooku to have a high emphasis on lightsaber attacks to really bring out his 1v1, Lightsaber duelist nature, and I also knew that the Standards section would have the meat of this, being all lightsaber attacks and all of which but Up Tilt being planned before I began writing the section. After that, I put Forward Tilt after the other Tilts + Jab because of the fact that the F-Tilt can use them, so it sticks with the reader more if they already had an idea of what they can use going into Forward Tilt, hence why the moves you can use come before it. Dash Attack comes last because breaking up the flow of Jabs + Tilts to put it in felt awkward and I wasn't sure how I wanted to make the exact attacks within so I wrote it last of the Standards.
Is Dash Attack like the spin that Palpatine does before the fight with Mace Windu?
Smashes: Since both Dooku's Specials and Standards referenced his lack of KO power somewhat heavily, I felt it was prudent to show off his primary KOing move, which was Forward Smash. I had ideas for all of the Smashes planned out, although Up Smash at the start of the input section only had the idea of being a lightning move and keeping lightning on ground chunks. Forward Smash came first to show off the KO move, then Down Smash breaks up the two Force moves and allows me to show off his "strongest" lightsaber move with the most costly Force Meter cost which feels good after seeing the Standards, Up Smash was last because it took me a while to solidify what I wanted to do with it (since moves are pretty much written in order for me).
OK.
Grab Game: I had ideas for every throw except for Forward Throw entering this section and the grab game of Force users is always something a bit more expectant than normal since the Force is often used for grabby things in-franchise, so I felt it would be better to put this before Aerials, which I did not have ideas for Back Aerial + my Up Aerial ideas were murky at the time. Also, I knew the aerials would primarily be lightsaber moves, and I felt those would have more impact further away from the Standards section. Grab and Pummel went first for obvious reasons. Back Throw went first because I desired to put the non-Force throw first, and then Up Throw/Down Throw are essentially interchangable in position, Forward Throw was last because I came up with the move last among the grabs.
If you put the downward attacks before upward attacks in the rest of the set, then put Down Throw before Up Throw.
Aerials: The reasons for Aerials going last was discussed in Grab Game: Two inputs I had fewer ideas for and not wanting to clump up the primary lightsaber sections too much. Neutral Aerial and Forward Aerial went first because they were my favorite aerials, then Down Aerial which I also liked and because I didn't have Up Aerial/Back Aerial ready, Up Aerial came after that because I had more of an idea than Back Aerial, and then finally Back Aerial because I went into the move with no idea where I was going to take it and it went through a full mental iterations (a kick, an impalement move, then the move you see in the moveset).
But you could have put it into a logical order after thinking of the attacks.
I hope that was informative, it was certainly fun to write anyway, and I thank you for the comment on Dooku. He seems popular, which pleases me. :)
Well I do like Star Wars, and I know who Dooku is so I was intrigued. :)
I can't find the comment I made with Alica Vassin's combos :(
I found it. I have put it in the Alica Vassin set. Expect a post from me about what I am going to do with her customs and then I will edit Akullotsoa like everyone has asked.

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
OK, but you could've put them in a logical order after making the moves, before posting the set. Aerials being last is just stupid to me.
Well, could you at least give us your reasoning behind why you think putting Aerials last is stupid?

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Well, could you at least give us your reasoning behind why you think putting Aerials last is stupid?
Because Aerials are standard attacks. They are A attacks which should be shown by Grounded attacks. I would at least put aerials before throws.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
There is no universal rule for move order. Most common practice is something like Specials-Standards-Smashes-Aerials-Throws but that's descriptive, not prescriptive. Moves should be ordered in a way that most makes sense to present to the reader - ie. what's most central to understand to play the character first, and what builds off of that following.

In some cases, I've put aerials or the throw game near the very front, even immediately after specials. Two of my sets have even completely ignored usual structure and put moves in a totally different categorization.

Would you really give Little Mac's aerials priority over his throws? Or say that Mario's staple throws should come after his anemic tilts? Well, perhaps Little Mac's aerials should be shown off early if only to demonstrate their impotence.

EDIT: As an aside, if your aerials don't seem to add much to your moveset and are comfortably last to discuss, you're probably not giving them enough emphasis? In actual Smash play, aerials are probably some of the most used attacks in the game, at low or high level of play. With platforms, the ability to use them while moving in any direction, off-stage play, they're usually far more important that the standard tilts. That's not a statement on whatever moveset is being discussed though, because I certainly don't even know what set it is! It's hard to read or write sets on mobile!

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
When thinking of customs for Alica Vassin's Flame Waves, I realised that all I had to do was change the other variation of it into a custom move instead.
Here is the original Side Special:
Side Special: Flame Waves
This is Alica Vassin’s best kill move, KOing at down to even 50% at full charge, and breaking shields extremely quickly upon impact. It has different properties upon how you press it. She holds her hands to her left, one above the other, then she swipes across with her hands (like when Lucario releases an Aura Sphere), releasing an arc-shaped wave of flame, with a solid texture that almost looks like lava. There isn't really that much of a curve. The wave gets bigger and more powerful over time, for example when the match starts, you have to wait 20 seconds before it is fully charged, similar to R.O.B’s laser and Wario’s Fart. All flame waves travel at 4.5 BPS. At minimum power, the wave is small (about 1/5 the height Alica herself) and travels 3.6 SBBs at no charge, lasting 0.8 seconds (or 48 frames). If you use it at full power, the wave will be 4/5 of the height of her, travels 14.4 SBBs at full charge and lasts 3.2 seconds (or 192 frames).
If you just tap the special button and let go, the wave will deal single knockback and disappear upon contact, dealing 5% damage at no charge and 20% damage at full charge, KOing at as low as 50% DAMAGE, and breaking shields instantly (dealing 34 HP of damage to a shield, not including the original damage, which is 20%; meaning that the Flame Wave deals 54 HP of damage to the shield).
If you hold dow, it will carry the opponent along with it, and deals 1% damage every 3 frames, dealing knockback on the last 2 frames. This is more focused on racking up damage, as it can deal 32% damage in total if fully charged (and 8% damage without charging it), and causes massive shield pressure, breaking it in 0.8 seconds (48 frames, or 16 damage frames of the flame wave). Upon contact, the flame wave actually deteriorates 2x earlier than normal, meaning that it will only last 1.6 seconds when you are trapped in the flame wave’s hitbox. It which causes knockback that knocks you forwards enough but not too much, so you will stay in its grasp. If you get caught in the middle of the flame wave, don’t expect to be escaping death, but if you come into contact with it near the top/bottom of the wave, you may be able to escape by DIing up/down and towards Alica.
She suffers high end lag after this (45 frames), so if you avoid it, take the chance and punish her! The start lag is only 18 frames, however.
This move uses up 5% of her fire power at no charge and 20% at full charge. All of the information provided was worked out with a lot of mathematical and Smash Bros. logic, and if the move is half charged, the info still applies, you just may have to do some maths LOL. It contributes to her playstyle by being her main kill move, or her shield breaker, opening up for a fully charged Side Smash for the KO. A non-charged single-hit one kills at 140%, and a non-charged multi-hit one KOs at 200%.
Here is the edited version:
Side Special 1: Flame Waves
This is Alica Vassin’s best kill move, KOing at down to even 50% at full charge, and breaking shields instantly upon impact. She holds her hands to her left, one above the other, then she swipes across with her hands (like when Lucario releases an Aura Sphere), releasing an arc-shaped wave of flame, with a solid texture that almost looks like lava. There isn't really that much of a curve (the shape is like Cloud's Blade Beam). The wave is bigger and more powerful depending on how long you wait, for example when the match starts, you have to wait 20 seconds before it is fully charged, like with R.O.B’s laser and Wario’s Fart. All flame waves travel at 4.5 BPS (Blocks [SBBs] Per Second). At minimum power, the wave is small (about 1/5 the height Alica herself) and doesn't last long. After about 0.6 seconds the flame waves disappear by deteriorating from the side in to the middle, and it takes 0.2 seconds for the wave to deteriorate from top to bottom completely, at no charge. If you use it at full power, the wave will be 4/5 of the height of her, and will deteriorate at the same rate as the small flame wave, however of course it is bigger, meaning it takes longer for the whole thing to disappear. It travels 14.4 SBBs at full charge and lasts 3.2 seconds (or 192 frames), starting to deteriorate after 2.4 seconds, meaning it takes 0.8 seconds for it to disappear after it starts running out of heat. The wave will deal single knockback and disappear upon contact, dealing 5% damage at no charge and 20% damage at full charge, KOing at as low as 50% DAMAGE, and breaking shields instantly (dealing 34 HP of damage to a shield, not including the original damage, which is 20%; meaning that the Flame Wave deals 54 HP of damage to the shield). This move is Alica's main KO option and is her best one too, and is essential to playing as her. She suffers high end lag after releasing this (45 frames), so if you avoid it, take the chance and punish her! The start lag is only 18 frames, however.
Here is the first custom:
Side Special 2: Fire Flow
This has the same animation as Flame Waves, and has the same frame data, and the wave looks the same in every way, except it acts differently upon impact. It is more about the damage than the KO power. It will carry the opponent along with it (low knockback and some hitstun every 3 frames), and deals 1% damage every 3 frames too, dealing knockback on the last 2 frames which at full charge will KO at about 100% damage (remember the attack racks up 31% damage before it starts dealing any knockback). This is more focused on racking up damage, as it can deal 32% damage in total if fully charged (and 8% damage without charging it), and causes massive shield pressure, breaking it in 0.8 seconds (48 frames). Upon contact, the flame wave actually starts deteriorating 2x earlier than normal, meaning that it will only last 1.2 seconds for it to start running out of energy when you are trapped in front the flame wave’s hitbox, which causes knockback that knocks you forwards enough but not too much, so you will stay in its grasp. If you get caught in the middle of the flame wave, don’t expect to be escaping death, but if you come into contact with it near the top or bottom of the wave, you may be able to escape by DIing up and towards Alica. And like with Flame Waves, she suffers high end lag after releasing this (52 frames), so if you avoid it, take the chance and punish her! The start lag is only 13 frames, however.
This move uses up 5% of her fire power at no charge and 20% at full charge. All of the information provided was worked out with a lot of mathematical and Smash Bros. logic, and if the move is half charged, the info still applies, you just may have to do some maths LOL. It contributes to her playstyle by being her main kill move, or her shield breaker, opening up for a fully charged Side Smash for the KO. A non-charged single-hit one kills at 140%, and a non-charged multi-hit one KOs at 200%.
This is just a sample.

OK so since nobody has replied yet I had no choice but to double post. It is a completely new point with nothing to do with the previous post and the previous post is meant to be showing off a preview of what I did for Alica Vassin's customs, but this is about the names of attacks. Don't sue me please.
If you moderators believe this is an infractable offense, then please explain why and mind telling me how else I can alert people about my new point.

I just finished reading Default Neutral Special and I can already tell that this is a good set, but I also feel obliged to point out that your 'Custom Neutral Special 1' should technically be called 'Neutral Special 2', also I feel like you should put the customs in spoiler tags because it's a bit much to read through, however I am impressed that you have decided to make customs in the first place. This will be edityed soon when I have finished reading the set.
Don't trust everything you see on a wiki.
I didn't see a source for your claim. ;)

But anyway, it's mainly a matter of opinion and such.
Yep, I've always seen the default one be called 'Neutral Special 1' and the others 2 and 3.
Oh, and nice phone BTW.
I actually do have a source for my claim. The game itself. It literally says 'Neutral Special 1','Neutral Special 2' and 'Neutral Special 3' and so on with other specials.
"But the game itself doesn't include correct competitive terminology!"
All it does is call Forward Air 'Front Air' and call Tilt Attacks 'Strong Attacks', it doesn't change the logic of it. The game logically calls Side Tilt 'Strong Side Attack' rather than 'Strong Front Attack', which I will be grateful to it for.
It's not 'Forward Tilt'. It's Side Tilt.If you call it a Forward Tilt then that implies there is also a Back Tilt, which is incorrect. Forward Air and Forward Throw attacks all can only be done forward, in the direction that you are facing. If you try to use them backwards, in the opposite direction to where you are facing, you will use Back Air/Back Throw, which is a different attack hence the different name. If you input 'Forward Tilt', 'Forward Smash' or 'Forward Special' backwards, you turn around and use the move, therefore using the exact same move in the opposite direction to what you were originally facing. It's not Forward Tilt, because it was not done forwards.
"But the attack was used in the direction you were facing, forwards, so it's Forward Tilt!"
Oh yeah. So is every single character's Jab and Tilts and Grab.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
"If you put the downward attacks before upward attacks in the rest of the set, then put Down Throw before Up Throw."

This consistency is unnecessary. It is more important to put moves how you wish to be read than in some ordering just due to direction. Darth_Meanie's points about this are generally quite good. (As an example BTW, the next set I am making has throws right after Specials, because they are most important and thus need to be shown early).

Also @Tocaroca: Forward Tilt is what most Smashers called it before Brawl began to call it Side Tilt and because of that it is VERY common to call it Forward Tilt, to the point that the SmashWiki calls it such ( http://www.ssbwiki.com/Forward_tilt ), as do many people on this very website. It's not really a big deal. Also note that technically the "correct" term is Strong Side, but nobody likes this wording so they continue to use Forward Tilt and Side Tilt.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
"If you put the downward attacks before upward attacks in the rest of the set, then put Down Throw before Up Throw."

This consistency is unnecessary. It is more important to put moves how you wish to be read than in some ordering just due to direction.
No, I was replying to how you said "Up Throw/Down Throw are essentially interchangable in position"; if you didn't mind which one goes first, then put Down Throw first since in the rest of your sections you put Down attacks before Up attacks.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Because I've nothing better to do with my time and class is in 30 minutes, I'll weigh in with my standard moveset order that I've used for some time now: Specials>Standards>Aerials>Grab Game>Smashes.

I think it works well since Aerials and Standards tend to have the same amount of importance in most movesets, it allows the base concept to be introduced in the specials first, and it lets the throws and smashes, where most sets seem to really start to expand on their introduced concept, to come after the concept has already been played with and varied in the standards and aerials.

I'm not sure if MW still thinks this way, but once when we were talking about it he said that Smashes are the closest standard attacks come to Specials, and I generally tend to agree with him on that sentiment to this day, so it only makes sense for them to come last as they're likely to introduce new variations on a mechanic that throws can't. That said, I think that either of the last two can come in either order.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
User was warned for this double post
Because I've nothing better to do with my time and class is in 30 minutes, I'll weigh in with my standard moveset order that I've used for some time now: Specials>Standards>Aerials>Grab Game>Smashes.

I think it works well since Aerials and Standards tend to have the same amount of importance in most movesets, it allows the base concept to be introduced in the specials first, and it lets the throws and smashes, where most sets seem to really start to expand on their introduced concept, to come after the concept has already been played with and varied in the standards and aerials.

I'm not sure if MW still thinks this way, but once when we were talking about it he said that Smashes are the closest standard attacks come to Specials, and I generally tend to agree with him on that sentiment to this day, so it only makes sense for them to come last as they're likely to introduce new variations on a mechanic that throws can't. That said, I think that either of the last two can come in either order.
I might actually use this order.
Akullotsoa is a special case because his Standards introduce everything about him (Ice Spheres, sword attacks and kicks).
FrozenRoy FrozenRoy
It's Tocaraca not Tocaroca. lol
"Forward Tilt is what most Smashers called it before Brawl began to call it Side Tilt and because of that it is VERY common to call it Forward Tilt, to the point that the SmashWiki calls it such"
That doesn't make it any more acceptable. Calling it Forward Tilt is simply illogical, it doesn't matter whether it used to be called that, it never should have in the first place, it's stupid.

Also does editing the most recent post on the thread alert people that there is a new reply to the thread? I'm guessing not.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!! I WAS GOING TO EDIT THIS INTO MY OLD POST! WHY DID I FORGET!
OK now I should get an infraction. I surrender.

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
To use a forward tilt, you hold forward on the control stick (just like any other forward attack). The only difference is that both directions happen to be "forward" (as in, they turn you around, so what used to be backwards is now forward). You can't turn around in midair or during a grab state, so only one direction is "forward," with the other being backward (hence the existence of back airs and back throws).

And seriously. It's the name of a move. Get over it. No one way of saying it is more correct than the others. It's purely a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
To use a forward tilt, you hold forward on the control stick (just like any other forward attack). The only difference is that both directions happen to be "forward" (as in, they turn you around, so what used to be backwards is now forward). You can't turn around in midair or during a grab state, so only one direction is "forward," with the other being backward (hence the existence of back airs and back throws).
Is the same case with Jabs, Tilts and Grabs.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Is the same case with Jabs, Tilts and Grabs.
You don't hold forward to use a jab, or a grab (at least, you don't have to for a grab). You do have to hold forward (which on the ground, is either side since the character turns around) to use a forward tilt.

Is this really worth arguing about?

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
You don't hold forward to use a jab, or a grab (at least, you don't have to for a grab). You do have to hold forward (which on the ground, is either side since the character turns around) to use a forward tilt.

Is this really worth arguing about?
You don't just hold forward. You hold to either side. If you hold it backwards then it's a Back Tilt is it? No.
"But holding backwards makes you turn around, therefore you are then holding forwards!"
Not when using a C-Stick to use Tilts, but that's beside the point. Just because it is used forwards, in the direction that you are facing, doesn't make it a Forward Tilt. You also use Jab, Down Tilt, some Up Tilts and most others move in the direction you are facing.
You're actually using the 'who cares' argument against me? Sure this isn't that significant, but it's still a thing, and the little things do matter. I bet you wouldn't like it if I called Side Tilt 'Strong Side' in my moveset, would you.

I am pedantic and have mild autism, so this is probably why I care so much about these little things.

I am going to edit Akullotsoa today. I haven't got around to doing it for a few days, but now I definitely am.

characters don't have traction in the air
I never got around to replying to this statement because I... I have no words. Where have you been when we were talking about the Air Traction stat? I could call it Air Control if you guys all use that.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I never got around to replying to this statement because I... I have no words. Where have you been when we were talking about the Air Traction stat? I could call it Air Control if you guys all use that.
Traction is by definition the friction against a surface, so Air Traction is a wrong term for this kind of thing, Air Control is a better term for this aerial stuff really.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You don't just hold forward. You hold to either side. If you hold it backwards then it's a Back Tilt is it? No.
"But holding backwards makes you turn around, therefore you are then holding forwards!"
Not when using a C-Stick to use Tilts, but that's beside the point. Just because it is used forwards, in the direction that you are facing, doesn't make it a Forward Tilt. You also use Jab, Down Tilt, some Up Tilts and most others move in the direction you are facing.
So tell me why "forward tilt attack" fails to accurately describe the attack where you tilt the control stick forward.
You're actually using the 'who cares' argument against me? Sure this isn't that significant, but it's still a thing, and the little things do matter. I bet you wouldn't like it if I called Side Tilt 'Strong Side' in my moveset, would you.
I would not care at all. It's another name for a forward/side tilt. The name used does not matter at all. They're the same thing. The name that one uses is an entirely subjective matter based on personal preference.
Dictionary.reference.com said:
Traction: the adhesive friction of a body on some surface, as a wheel on a rail or a tire on a road.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
So tell me why "forward tilt attack" fails to accurately describe the attack where you tilt the control stick forward.
Because you can also tilt it backwards to use the attack too. Sure it turns you around, but so does doing a turnaround Jab or Down Tilt and many other moves.
You can call it Forward Tilt if you want. I will call it Side Tilt because I find it more logical and it is also easier to both say and to type due to having less letters and syllables. lol

I will say Air Control instead of Air Traction. Sorry for the confusion.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Because you can also tilt it backwards to use the attack too. Sure it turns you around, but so does doing a turnaround Jab or Down Tilt and many other moves.
But you don't hold forward to use a jab or dtilt, unlike a ftilt (holding forward is what gives it its name).
You can call it Forward Tilt if you want. I will call it Side Tilt because I find it more logical and it is also easier to both say and to type due to having less letters and syllables. lol
I usually just say "ftilt," as an abbreviation of "forward tilt." But anyway.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
But you don't hold forward to use a jab or dtilt, unlike a ftilt (holding forward is what gives it its name).

I usually just say "ftilt," as an abbreviation of "forward tilt." But anyway.
Yeah, Ftilt is a good abbreviation for it. Stilt would be weird.

I am starting to edit Akullotsoa now. Anyone who has read it, do not treat what you read as a final version, it is merely a beta set. I knew that it would get negative criticism.

I just edited Alica Vassin lol. She needed a bit of polishing too, and I will add customs to her soon. But onto Akullotsoa...

Last edited:

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Lip has been updated. Among other things, more detail has been added. Go check it out if you haven't already. Or even if you have.

Changelog:

Minor:

- Flower Sprout name -> Flower Magic

- Flower Switcheroo name -> Switcheroo Spell

- All moves now have names.

- Intro and other extras added.

- Typos fixed.

General:

- Playstyle Summary added.

- Flower Combo petals are now safe against reflectors.

- Flower absorption through grabbing them has been replace by a general mechanic named "Lip's Stick". Some of the absorbed effects have slight changes:

- Having Green flower power now grants Lip minor super armor on attacks.

- Purple flower power no longer deals extra damage, but now has buffed healing.

- Blue and Yellow powers now create a small effect cloud.

- Red Flower Combos now shoot 10 thorns radially.

- Sneezing now stacks with flinching.

- Drowsy effect given more explanation.

- Damage and KO% adjusted on various moves. Did not keep track of changes.

Specials:

- Flower Magic can now sprout flowers on opponent's head, replacing down throw's effect.

- Flower Sprite moves greater distance and doesn't leave Lip helpless anymore.

- Flower Sprite doesn't deal damage anymore.

- Final Smash added.

Normals:

- Neutral attack gains a soft interaction with Lip's new mechanic.

- Forward Smash gains two extra hits.

- Forward Smash bonus combo effect increased 1.4x -> 2x

- Down Smash gains more hits depending on how many flowers are near Lip.

- Up Tilt, down air and forward air replaced with different moves.

Grab Game:

- Grab and forward, up, and back throws replaced with different moves.

- Grab no longer tethers.

- Down throw no longer plants flower on foe's head.

- Down throw gains new effect if foe has flower on head.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Lip has been updated. Among other things, more detail has been added. Go check it out if you haven't already. Or even if you have.

Changelog:
Minor:

- Flower Sprout name -> Flower Magic

- Flower Switcheroo name -> Switcheroo Spell

- All moves now have names.

- Intro and other extras added.

- Typos fixed.

General:

- Playstyle Summary added.

- Flower Combo petals are now safe against reflectors.

- Flower absorption through grabbing them has been replace by a general mechanic named "Lip's Stick". Some of the absorbed effects have slight changes:

- Having Green flower power now grants Lip minor super armor on attacks.

- Purple flower power no longer deals extra damage, but now has buffed healing.

- Blue and Yellow powers now create a small effect cloud.

- Red Flower Combos now shoot 10 thorns radially.

- Sneezing now stacks with flinching.

- Drowsy effect given more explanation.

- Damage and KO% adjusted on various moves. Did not keep track of changes.

Specials:

- Flower Magic can now sprout flowers on opponent's head, replacing down throw's effect.

- Flower Sprite moves greater distance and doesn't leave Lip helpless anymore.

- Flower Sprite doesn't deal damage anymore.

- Final Smash added.

Normals:

- Neutral attack gains a soft interaction with Lip's new mechanic.

- Forward Smash gains two extra hits.

- Forward Smash bonus combo effect increased 1.4x -> 2x

- Down Smash gains more hits depending on how many flowers are near Lip.

- Up Tilt, down air and forward air replaced with different moves.

Grab Game:

- Grab and forward, up, and back throws replaced with different moves.

- Grab no longer tethers.

- Down throw no longer plants flower on foe's head.

- Down throw gains new effect if foe has flower on head.
Hey Conren, cool to see you around! I'll try to read Lip soon since I don't think I ever did and I am pretty behind on my reading. Think you will have any shot at making an Iron MYMer entry for the end of the contest?

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Because Aerials are standard attacks. They are A attacks which should be shown by Grounded attacks. I would at least put aerials before throws.
Hey guys, here's a stellar idea!

Call the move whatever the hell you want. It literally doesn't matter at all.

Same with how you organize your sections in the set. Okay? Mmkay.

Last edited:

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Hey Conren, cool to see you around! I'll try to read Lip soon since I don't think I ever did and I am pretty behind on my reading. Think you will have any shot at making an Iron MYMer entry for the end of the contest?
Yes, actually. I have a character in mind that I can make in time.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I was going to wait to post this later, once the contest ended or would be close to ending, but in light of this thread having recently just been a collective argument which resulted in nothing meaningful, here's a neat announcement to compensate.

My Reigaheres Set Index has been updated! Before, each link was just an image of the character with maybe a background, but now, the new and fresher link-ups have a fittingly-colored frame with a little area for the Character's series icon! For characters who's series are already in Smash, the series icons are the same as in Smash, while characters from new series have their own custom icon, which just proves that I don't know how to write in japanese in Paint.
Check an example with good ol' uncle Marx, which is also conveniently a link to my Set Index:

Also, I may have passed 6 months without posting a set, but my next set is coming, just fricking wait, you fricken fricks.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
What do you call somebody who gives a job to a bounty hunter? Their master?
Depends on the context. In the modern day, most "bounty hunters" are just people who go out and look for minor criminals, usually those that for example break bond. For more assassin-y bounty hunters, you'd probably want something like "boss", "benefactor" or something that implies them being hired for the job, while something like "master" or "leader" would imply a more personal connection and more like someone in that person's organization or what have you.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Depends on the context. In the modern day, most "bounty hunters" are just people who go out and look for minor criminals, usually those that for example break bond. For more assassin-y bounty hunters, you'd probably want something like "boss", "benefactor" or something that implies them being hired for the job, while something like "master" or "leader" would imply a more personal connection and more like someone in that person's organization or what have you.
OK, thank you. :)

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
yet another question from yours truly: What is the typical gap of time between MYM contests?

I basically did nothing this entire contest but lurk and examinate some stuff in the bunker and read sets here, at least the research (i think) made me pretty knowledgeable with playstyles and how to make decent sets but I have nothing to prove that...yet :evil:

Dont get me wrong though MYM 17 is still great, there are some pretty great concepts within this thread that I'll establish in my advertisements, and while MYM17 didn't seem as energetic as the previous contests I've read a bit about, I'm still hyped for the contest results and possibly a few suprise sets near the end of the contest!

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
yet another question from yours truly: What is the typical gap of time between MYM contests?

I basically did nothing this entire contest but lurk and examinate some stuff in the bunker and read sets here, at least the research (i think) made me pretty knowledgeable with playstyles and how to make decent sets but I have nothing to prove that...yet :evil:

Dont get me wrong though MYM 17 is still great, there are some pretty great concepts within this thread that I'll establish in my advertisements, and while MYM17 didn't seem as energetic as the previous contests I've read a bit about, I'm still hyped for the contest results and possibly a few suprise sets near the end of the contest!
Well, if you need a good comparison, MYM 16's set submission period ended April 11, while this contest started June 1st, but still, this isn't a concrete time-slot shared in-between all MYMs, so while the next contest starting in March is a good hunch, this is still a matter for the Leaders to decide upon and announce.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Well, if you need a good comparison, MYM 16's set submission period ended April 11, while this contest started June 1st, but still, this isn't a concrete time-slot shared in-between all MYMs, so while the next contest starting in March is a good hunch, this is still a matter for the Leaders to decide upon and announce.
MYM 17 started on June 1st?!
My god, time flies by so fast.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Count Dooku
I saw a Star War once. It was good.

Dooku was always one of those Sith I never really cared about until very recently when I started watching the Clone Wars tv show, mostly because I had only seen him be prominent in the absolute worst thing to come out of Star Wars, Episode II. Thankfully, he's way cooler in the show, and this moveset reflects him there way more than anything in the cinematic vomit that is Attack of the Clones.

The use of The Force in this moveset is probably the best in the history of MYM. Dooku simply FEELS powerful. Using Force Choke as a counter is incredibly clever and it makes a whole lot of sense for him. As well, the ground ripping Force Pull is a really great move that might just be his most versatile attack, giving him a huge amount of options. As for his lightsaber attacks, you do a great job of giving each it's own unique use and feel, which can be difficult with a sword-heavy moveset. Obviously, the Force Meter buffs help make them multi-useful. The Force Meter really is the star of the show here, I think, as it feels natural and powerful without being OP or OOC. Great job here, I love the set, hoping you make more from the Star Wars universe!

Lubba
Lubba is Rosalina by-way-of Warlord, and it's honestly a really cool combination. Let me just say: the Planet forming use of the star bits might just be one of my favorite things to come out of a moveset in a long time. It's a cool incorporation of one of the coolest game mechanics of one of the best Mario games ever, and it's pulled off beautifully here. The infinite amount of ways to play off of it with the rest of his moveset makes Lubba the moveset that I've read in a very very long time that I'd want to play the most in an actual Smash Bros game. This might be my favorite moveset of this contest.

Top Bottom