• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make a roster for the hypothetical "Smash Reboot" that was considered!

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
It's your roster prediction, you don't need to change anything based on my opinion or any other members. Granted this is an old thread, so we already know what the roster consists of.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You make a LOT of generalized assumptions with your use of 'everyone' that I'm here to say.. ain't true. Opinions are fine, but you spoke with a little too much authority on some things. EVERYONE hated the WW artstyle.. LOL. After it sat for a few years it literally became one of the fan favorite art styles. Some people just say stuff when they type I suppose. Pichu.. a weak clone? Do you know ANYTHING about Pichu outside of Smash..? Christ. Who cares if MG Survive was hated, Snake in Smash is based off of an entirely different game in the series and nobody said a character couldn't be in Smash if they had a bad game(s).. if that were the case even Mario would be out.

You also sailed completely past a few characters, not mentioning if you'd cut or include them. If you want to cut 95% of the roster, fine, I disagree.. but fine. Just give decent reasons please, it seems bias fuels every opinion on this matter so heavily having a genuine discussion about it often becomes impossible due to wildly outlandish additions such as this.
I'm terribly sorry about this list i did

BowserKing

Smash Lord
It's your roster prediction, you don't need to change anything based on my opinion or any other members. Granted this is an old thread, so we already know what the roster consists of.
The Echoes are added because there is some time and resources to make them, just like the Echoes in the main smash games. Saves time that way.

Also :ultdoc: is an alternate costume for Mario.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Eh don't mind by the way i removed Titan Dweevil from the roster because of how big and too large it would be on stage

Last edited:

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultpiranha:
DK: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

Starfox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:

Samus: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:

Keep most if not all retros such as: :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultlittlemac:

Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:

Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpokemontrainerf::ultjigglypuff:

Fire emblem and the rest of the anime characters who’s series’s I can’t remeber or know: :ultmarth::ultike::ultroy::ultcloud::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultshulk:

Earthbound or whatever ness is from: :ultness::ultlucas:

Single character games: :ultwiifittrainerm::ultsnake::ultolimar::ultinkling::ultfalcon:

Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:

Lonk and friends: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:

The meme squad: :ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler:

Animal crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:

I mean sure, it’s 45 fighters. I’d say it’s not that bad

BowserKing

Smash Lord
To continue with my roster, I have decided there would be a preorder bonus and a new DLC pack

The Preorder bonus is given to Adeleine

As for the DLC pack, consists of :ultgreninja::ultryu::ultken: Chun Li :ultpalutena: and :ultvillager: (Random Pack)

Also a mini pack for Echoes (:ultrichter::ultdarkpit: and Black Shadow)

FWI, :ultsheik: and :ultzss: are transformations again.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Super Mario (including DK/Yoshi/Wario)
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario:
Pokémon
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainerf:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:)
Legend of Zelda
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
Kirby
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
Fire Emblem
:ultmarth::ultrobinf:
Metroid
:ultsamus::ultridley:
Single Series Reps
:ultfox::ultfalcon::ultness::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultmiifighters::ultlittlemac::ultpit::ultvillager:
If Third Parties are included
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultryu:

So there, trimmed the roster down to 40 characters if we are only looking at Nintendo owned franchises, 45 if third parties are included and discounting DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Super Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr:
  • Legend of Zelda: :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
  • Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpokemontrainerf:
  • Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
  • Metroid: :ultsamus::ultridley:
  • Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
  • Mother: :ultness::ultlucas:
  • Star Fox: :ultfox::ultwolf:
  • Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:
  • Fire Emblem: :ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobin:/:ultrobinf:
  • Animal Crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
  • Single Series: :ultinkling::ultshulk::ultfalcon::ultwiifittrainer::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultolimar:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I have decided a make a few more changes to my roster from earlier

Here is the roster now

Starting Roster: :ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultsonic::ultinkling:
Unlockable Unique: :ultluigi: Fawful :ultkrool::ultzelda::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultmewtwo::249::ultlucario::ultfalcon::ultcorrinf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultisabelle: Shantae
Echo-Fighters: :ultdaisy: Dark Bowser, Dixie Kong :ultyounglink::ultdarksamus: Dark Meta Knight :ultfalco::ultpichu::ultlucas: Shadow and Octoling

Pre Fighters Pass Bonus: Adeleine

Echoes Pass (:ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultken::ultlucina: and Black Shadow)

Fighters Pass One (:ultmarth::ultrosalina::ultmegaman::ultsnake::ultganondorf:)

Fighters Pass Two (:ultsimon::ultryu: Chun Li :ultbowserjr::ultpalutena:)

Fighters Pass Three (:ultvillager::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultgreninja::ultwario:)

Note: :ulticeclimbers: and :ultpiranha: were considered for DLC

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Ok, let's see... I'm not really looking at any character limit. Just so long as it isn't as insane as Ultimate's 80. (not that i have a problem with that or anything...I just feel a reboot should be somewhat simpler)
VETERANS:
:ultmario: now primarily based on Mario Odyssey, with a heavy focus on Cappy in his moveset
:ultdk: now uses a few more moves from Donkey Kong 64
:ultlink: uses the Champion's powers for his special moves
:ultsamus:
:ultdarksamus: no longer an echo. Actually uses her powers from Metroid Prime.
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu:
:ultluigi: moves almost exclusively revolve around the Poultergust and its attachments
:ultness: now uses PSI techniques he ACTUALLY could learn in EarthBound
:ultfalcon:
:ultjigglypuff: only still here because original 12
:ultpeach: based on Super Princess Peach. Wields Perry and has the vibes as her specials.
:ultdaisy: wears her soccer outfit and fights using sports equipment
:ultbowser:
:ultzelda:
:ultmarth:
:ultganondorf: less Captain Falcon, more OoT boss techniques
:ultmewtwo:
:ultgnw: i thought about cutting him, but i felt that he was too important to Nintendo's history. Keep him just like in Ultimate (but maybe with the old fair)
:ultmetaknight:
:ultpit:
:ultwario: now based on the Wario Land series. The overalls is the default and the biker suit is the alt.
:ultsonic:
:ultcharizard: as much as i love Pokemon Trainer, i feel like we would revert to solo Charizard again if this happened.
:ultdiddy: same edits as DK
:ultlucas: same edits as Ness
:ultkingdedede:
:ultmegaman:
:ultrobin:
:ultbowserjr: now plays like everybody thought he would before Smash 4: on foot, using the Magic Paintbrush. Shadow Mario is an alt.
:ultinkling:
:ultsimon:
NEWCOMERS:
I don't feel like we would get too many of these. But I can see these happening...
Waluigi (i feel like a reboot would be an excellent way to finally bring him in. I could see him being very tennis-centric)

Ribbon Girl (an ARMS character is a very good choice, and she seems like the best representative to me)

Miitopia Miis (instead of the classes we had previously, lets instead have all the classes from Miitopia (Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Thief, Pop Star, Chef, Cat, Imp, Scientist, Princess, Tank, and Flower). The Miis themselves and their costumes could be customized but the movesets would not.)

there could be more but i don't have any other ideas that wouldn't just be my personal wishlist

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Here is my ideal roster for a reboot

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultness::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultwario::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultlittlemac::ultinkling:
My reasoning for my choice was to include franchises that are important and iconic to nintendo’s history and then pick characters that are the most important to that franchise.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Rather than doing the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" thing Ultimate did, imagine "NOBODY IS HERE!" where every character is a newcomer.

1. Geno
2. Donkey Kong Jr.
3. Midna
4. Sylux
5. Kamek
6. Prince Fluff
7. Krystal
8. Eevee
9. Waluigi
10. Ninten
11. Black Shadow
12. Garchomp
13. Pauline
14. King Wart
15. Mach Rider
16. Skull Kid
17. Takamaru
18. Stanley the Bugman
19. Mr. Mime
20. Hammer Bro
21. Lyn
22. Tingle
23. Ganon
24. Deoxys
25. Hades
26. Octoling
27. Marx
28. Hades
29. SA-X
30. Mona
31. Captain Syrup
32. Edelgard
33-35. Hoenn Pokémon Trainer (Torchic, Marshtomp, Sceptile)
34. Medusa
35. Viridi
36-38. Kongs (Funky Kong, Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong)
39. Bandana Waddle Dee
40. Louie
41. Smeargle
42. Glass Joe
43. Alucard
44. Banjo-Kazooie
45. Shadow
46. Dr. Eggman
47. Mega Man X
48. Proto Man
49. Chun-Li
50. Akuma
51. Pyramid Head
52. Sora
53. Travis Touchdown

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
These are my predictions for a potential reboot (as absurd as that sounds); it is not a wish list. I am assuming Sakurai is not guaranteed to return as the director. Also, I decided to exclude third parties (outside of the two placeholders in column A) because predicting them is really hard tbh. .

[Column A] Most likely to be in: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario:/:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:/:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultjigglypuff:/:ultdk::ultdiddy:/:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:/:ultfox::ultfalco:/:ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultness:/:ultmarth::ultrobinf::ultike:/:ultinkling::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultolimar::ultmiifighters:/ 2 third party [37 total]
[Column B] A gigantic pile of maybe: :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultlucina::ultkrool::ultduckhunt::ultdoc::ultgnw::ultlittlemac::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultzss::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultroy:/:ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultgreninja::ultlucas::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultcorrin:[23 total]
Probably not?: :ultpiranha::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer::ultrob::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultyounglink::ulticeclimbers: [8 total]

I have no clue lol: Smash Ultimate Challenger Pack Characters + Third Parties

• I think the roster would be all of column A, five or so fighters from column B and maybe five newcomers to start.
  • My most likely out of column B would be: :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultroy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdoc::ultdarksamus::ultlucas:
  • :ultpit: (and more so:ultpalutena:) is very much dependent on whether Sakurai decides to come back for development
  • At minimum, the base roster would be 47 fighters, close to Smash 4's pre-DLC roster.
  • As you can see, clones are given a decent amount of priority, as they are much easier to develop. Which ones I think will be cloned, I'm not really sure (Daisy I feel is extremely likely).
  • Newcomer ideas: Rex/Pyra/Mythra; Elma; Dixie Kong; Pokemon from Sword/Shield or a future generation; Waluigi; Third Parties like Master Chief, Sora, another Platinum character, etc; Spring Man (if the series isn't abandoned by then); FE character; BotW champion (?)

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and for DLC of my "NOBODY IS HERE!" reboot idea.

Goomba is free, followed by Kazuma Kiryū, Conker, Haxorus, Enzo and finally, Chrono.

These are my predictions for a potential reboot
Probably not?: :ultpiranha::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer::ultrob::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultyounglink::ulticeclimbers: [8 total]
I can't see Wii Fit Trainer getting cut, honestly. And Ice Climbers have lots of fans and are pretty iconic to the series.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Goomba is free, followed by Kazuma Kiryū, Conker, Haxorus, Enzo and finally, Chrono.

I can't see Wii Fit Trainer getting cut, honestly. And Ice Climbers have lots of fans and are pretty iconic to the series.
Wii Fit Trainer would be cut due to Wii being dead and unlikely for it on Switch

Pski

Smash Cadet
I would leave it to a max of 45 characters and cut out all the third-parties. not a lot of big additions to the roster.
MARIO
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi:
LOZ
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
DK
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
METROID
:ultsamus::ultridley:
KIRBY
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(bandana dee)
STARFOX
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
POKEMON
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultincineroar::ultgreninja:
FIRE EMBLEM
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobinf:
SINGLE REP SERIES
:ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultolimar::ultgnw::ultness::ultmiifighters::ultlittlemac::ultinkling::ultpit::ultshulk::ultvillager: (karate joe)(springman)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my second game of the Smash Reboot

Starter Roster: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:Sceptile :ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultfalcon::ultness::ultmarth::ultpit::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultryu::ultinkling::ultsimon:
Unlockable Roster: :ultbowserjr::ultrosalina: Fawful :ultkrool::ultwario::ultganondorf: Midna :ultridley:Adeleine :ultfalco::ultwolf::ultmewtwo::249::ultlucario::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultrobinf::ultcorrinf::ultgnw::ultpalutena::ultsnake: Knuckles :ultolimar::ultisabelle::ultmegaman::ultduckhunt: Chun Li, Shantae, Steve, Ray-Man and Spring-Man
Echo Fighters: :ultdaisy: Dark Bowser, Dixie Kong :ultyounglink::ultdarksamus: Dark Meta Knight :ultpichu: Black Shadow :ultlucina::ultdarkpit: Shadow :ultken::ultrichter:

Bonus Character: :ultpiranha:

DLC: Muddy Mole, Bandanna Dee, Bio-Rex, :ultike: Zoroark, Krystal and Chorus Kids

Note: Falco and Lucas have been promoted from Echo-Fighters to Unique Fighters

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

I definitely could if the roster is 30-40 characters, at least on release. Consider the other characters on my list (especially column A); I don't really think ICs and Wii Fit would take precedence over them (especially since many of them are easy clone/semi-clone characters).

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Wii Fit Trainer would be cut due to Wii being dead and unlikely for it on Switch
But on top of her having a great moveset, she represents the Wii, which is a huge part of Nintendo's history. It'd be like cutting the spacies just because they don't get their own games anymore. Pretty sure that even in a decade, people will recognize Wii Fit Trainer before they recognize Falco. R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch have some important history, but aren't nearly as recognizable as Wii Fit Trainer, who also has some Nintendo history worth remembering.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Legends

Main Characters (Heroes vs Villains)
Super Mario - Mario, Bowser
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong, King K. Rool
The Legend of Zelda - Link, Ganondorf
Metroid - Samus, Dark Samus
Yoshi - Yoshi, Kamek
Kirby - Kirby, King Dedede
Star Fox - Fox, Wolf
Pokémon - Pikachu, Giovanni
Earthbound - Ninten, Giegue
F-Zero - Captain Falcon, Black Shadow
Fire Emblem - Marth, Ashnard
Kid Icarus - Pit, Medusa
Wario Land - Wario, Captain Syrup
Pikmin - Olimar, Louie
Punch-Out!! - Little Mac, King Hippo
Splatoon - Inkling, Octarian
Super Smash Bros. - Sandbag, Galleom
That's thirty-four characters. I'd say there'd be certain hidden characters that go against the theme, though.
Was just thinking back to this old idea, and thought it could use an update.
This time, the characters are definite heroes or definite villains, for the most part. Mario is a hero, but Mario & Cappy together are an even more heroic duo. Bowser's evil, but he has a warm side that makes you care about him more than other villains in the series.

Main Characters (Heroes and Villains)
Super Mario - Mario & Cappy, King Wart
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Jr., Petey Piranha
The Legend of Zelda - Link, Ganon
Metroid - Samus, Ridley
Yoshi - Yoshi, Kamek
Kirby - Kirby, Magalor
Star Fox - Fox, Wolf
Pokémon - Red, Giovanni
Earthbound - Ninten, Giegue
F-Zero - Captain Falcon, Black Shadow
Fire Emblem - Lyn, Ashnard
Kid Icarus - Pit, Hades
Wario Land - Wario, Captain Syrup
Pikmin - Olimar, Louie
Punch-Out!! - Little Mac, King Hippo
Splatoon - Off the Hook, DJ Octavio
(Thirty-two characters initially.)

Unlockable Characters
Super Mario - Geno, Luigi, Petey Piranha
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong, Cranky Kong
The Legend of Zelda - Skull Kid, Midna
Kirby - King Dedede, Meta Knight
Star Fox - Falco, Krystal
Pokémon - Cynthia
Earthbound - Porky
Kid Icarus - Viridi
Punch-Out!! - Glass Joe
Splatoon - Inkling
WarioWare - Mona, Ashley
Animal Crossing - Isabelle, Tom Nook
Others - Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Mii (Tomodachi Life), R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Takamaru
Third Party - Simon, Alucard, Mega Man, Proto-Man, Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Crash, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown
(Thirty-eight characters to unlock, making a full roster of seventy, one more than what Ultimate has, pre-DLC.)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my third game of the Smash Reboot

Starter Roster: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:Sceptile:ultgreninja::ultincineroar::249::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobinf::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultryu::ultinkling::ultsimon: Shantae, Spring-Man and Chorus Kids

Unlockable: Fawful, :ultpiranha: Midna, :ultridley: Bandanna Dee, Adeleine, :ultfalco::ultwolf: Krystal :ultlucario::ultmewtwo: Zoroark, :ultpokemontrainerf: (:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:) :ultlucas: Bio-Rex :ulticeclimbers::ultcorrinf::ultgnw: Viridi:ultwario: Ashley :ultsnake: Knuckles, Louie:ultrob: :ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk: Elma :ultduckhunt: Chun Li :ultbayonetta: Ray-Man, Steve, Muddy Mole and Karate Joe

Echo Fighters: :ultdaisy: Dark Bowser, Dixie Kong :ultyounglink::ultdarksamus: Dark Meta Knight :ultpichu: Black Shadow :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit: Shadow :ultken: Octoling :ultrichter: and Ribbon-Girl

DLC: :ulttoonlink::ultcloud: :ultjoker: Geno, Skull Kid, Gardivoir and Marx

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:Eevee
:ultmarth::ultcorrin:
:ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultinkling::ultpit:
:ultlucas::ultfox::ultsamus:
:ultlittlemac:Twintelle:ultshulk:
:ultduckhunt::ultgnw:Balloon Fighter

DLC:
:ultsonic::ultpacman:Lara Croft
:ultmegaman::ultryu:Rayman

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
44 reboot Roster.png

Got it down to 44 with Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer counting as three characters each.
If you have your own game and it's semi successful you got prioritised.
Luigi, Captain Toad, Wario, Yoshi and Tingle rep their own series.
If your franchise is super successful you get more than one character.
Some older franchises got dropped to replace with some different discontinued series. No reason for it, just felt like rotating some series.

Reboot DLC.png

Fighter Pack 1: Top five franchise fighters. K. Rool and Meta Knight return via DLC after missing out on base, Paper Mario is his own series, Blaziken fills in the non-gen 1 quota, Impa is both spinoff Zelda and a replacement for Sheik.
Fighter Pack 2: Middleweight franchise fighters. Included characters who have been wanted for a long time in the Smash community...and Captain Falcon who missed out on the base
Fighter Pack 3: Third Party DLC pack. No one new here, but trimming the fat on the third party bananza to what I'd consider the biggest five names.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 214184

Got it down to 44 with Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer counting as three characters each.
If you have your own game and it's semi successful you got prioritised.
Luigi, Captain Toad, Wario, Yoshi and Tingle rep their own series.
If your franchise is super successful you get more than one character.
Some older franchises got dropped to replace with some different discontinued series. No reason for it, just felt like rotating some series.

View attachment 214193

Fighter Pack 1: Top five franchise fighters. K. Rool and Meta Knight return via DLC after missing out on base, Paper Mario is his own series, Blaziken fills in the non-gen 1 quota, Impa is both spinoff Zelda and a replacement for Sheik.
Fighter Pack 2: Middleweight franchise fighters. Included characters who have been wanted for a long time in the Smash community...and Captain Falcon who missed out on the base
Fighter Pack 3: Third Party DLC pack. No one new here, but trimming the fat on the third party bananza to what I'd consider the biggest five names.
Imagine a Smash Bros. game without Captain Falcon in the base roster.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Imagine a Smash Bros. game without Captain Falcon in the base roster.
I did.

It's really easy when you consider how being a Smash memetic character is the only thing keeping Falcon in the public mind in the first place.

Also dropped Ness and Puff entirely from the game. Original 12 means nothing to me. *shrug*

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
It's really easy when you consider how being a Smash memetic character is the only thing keeping Falcon in the public mind in the first place.
Surprised Fox is there, by that logic. Captain Falcon's iconic enough that even new players to the series would wonder where he is.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Surprised Fox is there, by that logic. Captain Falcon's iconic enough that even new players to the series would wonder where he is.
Starfox is still a top 20 selling franchise for Nintendo and still gets games...even if they're of questionable quality. Nintendo clearly don't want Starfox to go into hibernation and are throwing concepts and games onto the franchise to keep it relevant to modern day Nintendo.

F-Zero meanwhile has been dead for 15 years surviving only on Smash, a few elements in the latest Mario Kart, a single stage in Nintendo Land for the Wii U and memes about Falcon Punches.
Falcon doesn't really need to be in a modern day reboot aside from the OG12 nostalgia. However if that's the reason, I'm not sure why you're not equally annoyed at me cutting Ness and the entire Mother series.

Besides, Falcon gets added back in my roster's DLC, I'm just prioritising other dead series that didn't have the luck Falcon had in the original Smash such as Golden Sun and Chibi Robo. Judging by this reaction however his DLC announcement would be as big a deal as Mewtwo's was.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
A few of the characters have changed in my reboot Smash Bros

Mario uses his hammer for his down special. He also has his fire alt back, along with Dr.Mario and Mario from Mario and Luigi as alternate costumes.

Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, Diddy Kong, King Dedede and King K.Rool can talk (as with Dixie Kong).

Bowser curls into a ball and rams opponents for his up special. His shield is replaced with him hiding in his shell. Bowser also talks and has Dry Bowser and Wedding Bowser as alternate costumes.

Peach has her wedding outfit and Shadow Queen as alternate costumes.

Luigi has Luigi from Mario and Luigi, plus Mr.L as alternate costumes.

Sonic has costumes based on Tails, plus 2 moves from Sonic Fighters.

Snake has 2 new Taunts.

Daisy has her sports outfit as her alternate costume.

Rosalina and Luma has their Biker outfit as their alternate costume.

Pikachu has Detective Pikachu as an alternate costume.

This is among others.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'll throw this out.

:ultmario:(:ultdoc:):ultluigi::ultpeach:(:ultdaisy:):ultbowser::ultyoshi:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
:ultmarth:(:ultlucina:):ultroy::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
:ultsamus:(:ultdarksamus:)
:ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight:
:ultpit:(:ultdarkpit:)
:ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultinkling::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultvillager:
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu:

Not including any newcomers or characters added from hereon that I believe would make sense.
If anyone wants my reasoning behind any of the selections I'll divulge it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultpiranha:
DK: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

Starfox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:

Samus: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:

Keep most if not all retros such as: :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultlittlemac:

Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:

Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpokemontrainerf::ultjigglypuff:

Fire emblem and the rest of the anime characters who’s series’s I can’t remeber or know: :ultmarth::ultike::ultroy::ultcloud::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultshulk:

Earthbound or whatever ness is from: :ultness::ultlucas:

Single character games: :ultwiifittrainerm::ultsnake::ultolimar::ultinkling::ultfalcon:

Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:

Lonk and friends: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:

The meme squad: :ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler:

Animal crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:

I mean sure, it’s 45 fighters. I’d say it’s not that bad
That's 54

Regardless, I'm curious as to what reboots a lot of you play, regarding fighting games.
I cannot recall any that kept such a large number of characters.
Mortal Kombat Armageddon comes to my mind the most, in part due to the nature of "Everyone is Here."
It went from 60 or so characters... down to about 20.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
That's 54

Regardless, I'm curious as to what reboots a lot of you play, regarding fighting games.
I cannot recall any that kept such a large number of characters.
Mortal Kombat Armageddon comes to my mind the most, in part due to the nature of "Everyone is Here."
It went from 60 or so characters... down to about 20.
Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 (which has almost every past character) to Tekken 7 went from fifty-nine to thirty-six, with ten of Tekken 7's characters being new, meaning only twenty-six of the game's characters were veterans. What if Smash did something similar? Seventy-five in Ultimate, to say, forty in the next? Eleven to thirteen of the characters being newcomers?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 (which has almost every past character) to Tekken 7 went from fifty-nine to thirty-six, with ten of Tekken 7's characters being new, meaning only twenty-six of the game's characters were veterans. What if Smash did something similar? Seventy-five in Ultimate, to say, forty in the next? Eleven to thirteen of the characters being newcomers?
I fully think that what you said is possible (and is very different than the scenario in the post I originally quoted).
Even in my list in this thread, I followed the rule you have above, roughly, just with smaller numbers (such as in the example given).

Also- as someone who loved Gon (and the odd Dr B), you chose an example that makes me a bit salty, haha.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I fully think that what you said is possible (and is very different than the scenario in the post I originally quoted).
Even in my list in this thread, I followed the rule you have above, roughly, just with smaller numbers (such as in the example given).

Also- as someone who loved Gon (and the odd Dr B), you chose an example that makes me a bit salty, haha.
Doctor Bosconovitch is Tag Team Tournament 2, but Gon isn't, what did you mean by the last part? If you're talking about the characters that aren't in 7, it's weird that you mention Gon, when Gon's been gone for ages, hahaha.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Since my roster is pretty much complete, I'll showcase what boss the character will fight as their final opponent

:ultmario::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultgnw: and Fawful fights :ultbowser: and then Giga-Bowser
:ultdk: fights :ultkrool: and then Giant King K.Rool
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ulttoonlink::ultroy: and :ultkingdedede: will fight Ganon (:ultzelda: fights :ultganondorf: first)
:ultsamus::ultolimar: and :ultisabelle: fights Mother Brain
:ultyoshi::ultmarth::ultduckhunt::ultpiranha: and Bio-Rex fights Rathalos
:ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultrosalina::ultinkling:, Octoling and Adeleine fights Marx
:ultfox::ultfalco: and Krystal fights Andross
:ultpikachu::ultlucario::249: and Gardivoir fights Giratina (:ultpikachu: fights :ultmewtwo: first)
:ultluigi:Dark Bowser, :ultpacman::ultsimon::ultrichter: and Shantae fights Dracula
:ultness: and :ultlucas: fights Porky
:ultbowser: fights :ultmario: and later Metal Mario
:ultpit: and :ultpalutena: fights Hades
:ultdarkpit::ultsnake::ultrob::ultwolf: and :ultkrool: fights Galeom
:ultwario: and :ultvillager: fights Dr.Zomboss
:ultike::ultcorrinf: and Steve fights the Ender Dragon
:ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja: and Sceptile fights Rayquaza (:ultpokemontrainer: fights :ultmewtwo: first)
:ultsonic:, Shadow and Knuckles fights Dr.Robotnik
:ultmegaman: fights :ultdoc: and later :ultmewtwo:
:ultryu::ultken: and Chun Li fights M.Bison
:ultbayonetta: fights Giant :ultpalutena:
The rest fights Master Hand and/or Crazy Hand

Top Bottom