• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make a roster for the hypothetical "Smash Reboot" that was considered!

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Although I don’t like cuts since someone loses a character that they like, I am curious on the direction for the next game. While it was stated that the roster would be cut to about a third if Ultimate didn’t happen, I’ll make a 30 character roster, which is roughly 20% more than a third (25 and a third)

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
:ultmarth::ultvillager::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultinkling:
:ultsonic::ultpacman:
:ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ulticeclimbers::ultpit:
Bandana Waddle Dee, Octoling
The original plan for this roster is to start with the original 8 and filling out the major IPs. Marth’s here because he’s SSB’s view of the FE representative, and Shulk is here because I’d prefer to add Pokemon Trainer before Pyra and Mythra. These choices already gave me half of my roster. In terms of the other half, I’ll first add the two most prominent third parties.
With the next twelve fighters, I want to split ten of the remaining fighters into staples and major players and leave the last two for newcomers. For the newcomers, I went with two that seem popular enough to add.
If I had room for a few more fighters, I’d probably choose Wario, Isabelle, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Olimar, and Waluigi.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
If I could have something slightly more than SSBFor post-DLC.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultmarth::ultchrom:Alear*
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:Meowscarada*:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:BWD:ultness:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultinkling:Octoling*:ultshulk:Noah*:ultfox::ultfalco::ultolimar::ultfalcon:Isaac
:ultpit::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultsonic:Tails:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultpacman::ultkazuya:Rayman:ultmiifighters:
Except for maybe Jigglypuff, I think that everyone that’s been present since Melee is safe given how long they’ve been in the game for, and I still kept Jigglypuff as it’s always snuck in last minute.
Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer stay for their gimmicks, and they would’ve never been dropped prior if the 3DS didn’t exist.
I kept Mewtwo here because it was one of the most requested fighters going into For, and Pokemon and Fire Emblem are such messes to handle, so I just went with my gut feeling here.
Most of the other Brawl newcomers represent the most prominent characters, and Toon Link is here because there seems to be a priority to have two Links on the roster.
For the post-Brawl Nintendo newcomers, Animal Crossing, Wii/Mii, Xenoblade, and Splatoon are the most prominent franchises, so most characters stay from these franchises except for Pyra/Mythra as Pokemon Trainer has the transformation gimmick on it. Ridley, K. Rool, and Chrom stay for being requested, and Daisy is popular and easy to add, so she stays.
For third parties, I just kept all the Sega, Capcom, and Namco ones because of licensing, and Steve’s a nightmare to program.
For newcomers, I went a few requested fighters, the promotional Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade fighters, a Splatoon fighter (these four are placeholders). Also, I added Tails as a Sonic character is requested, and Rayman is a common request too.
If DLC is a thing, I’m confident Sora, Cloud, Steve, Banjo would be on the list somewhere, but I’m unsure after that.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To me, a reboot is the next step... because there is no growing. Anything short of a reboot is a letdown.
...And also destroys Sakurai's chance to step out as anything other than a creative consultant- which is the route I suspect for next game.
I think the next Director is going to be story driven- and so the characters will be based, at least on the release roster, with that notion in mind. Story Telling- something the genius gameplay creator of Sakurai was somewhat lacking within.
I think the characters will get INTENSE overhauls, to replicate how far gaming has come since 1999, and allow the true individuality of each character to shine even more.

I'm aware that there is unlikely a user who agrees with me (as I only suspect a base game of ~20 characters).

Unlocked from the start:

Mario, more based in platforming and jump abilities.
Link, with an emphasis based on item switching and combat, including a summonable Epona for speed.
A new Fire Emblem character, who has ability to use magic and all of the weapons triangle.
A Pokemon Trainer who better emphasizes the switching and capture mechanic.
Isabelle, who is primarily based on collecting and stage manipulation.
The Inklings, who have even more in depth inventory management via ink, as well as movement options in the ink.
Donkey Kong will be an option for pure power, with Rhythmic elements involved, as well as Kong buddies to share for specials.
Kirby will come back, with a greater ability to copy others' mechanics based on swallowing.

Locked characters:

Pikachu will return.
Bowser will return.
Peach will return.
Yoshi will return.
Fox will return.
Samus will return.

From there, I believe we will get maybe a few more locked, and definitely more characters as DLC options.
Ultimately I think we may get some base characters who are completely new, likely from New Series.
However, I expect the DLC of the new game to function a lot like in other games, being primarily fan favorites, and promotions (in this case to third parties).

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
To me, a reboot is the next step... because there is no growing. Anything short of a reboot is a letdown.
...And also destroys Sakurai's chance to step out as anything other than a creative consultant- which is the route I suspect for next game.
I think the next Director is going to be story driven- and so the characters will be based, at least on the release roster, with that notion in mind. Story Telling- something the genius gameplay creator of Sakurai was somewhat lacking within.
I think the characters will get INTENSE overhauls, to replicate how far gaming has come since 1999, and allow the true individuality of each character to shine even more.

I'm aware that there is unlikely a user who agrees with me (as I only suspect a base game of ~20 characters).

Unlocked from the start:

Mario, more based in platforming and jump abilities.
Link, with an emphasis based on item switching and combat, including a summonable Epona for speed.
A new Fire Emblem character, who has ability to use magic and all of the weapons triangle.
A Pokemon Trainer who better emphasizes the switching and capture mechanic.
Isabelle, who is primarily based on collecting and stage manipulation.
The Inklings, who have even more in depth inventory management via ink, as well as movement options in the ink.
Donkey Kong will be an option for pure power, with Rhythmic elements involved, as well as Kong buddies to share for specials.
Kirby will come back, with a greater ability to copy others' mechanics based on swallowing.

Locked characters:

Pikachu will return.
Bowser will return.
Peach will return.
Yoshi will return.
Fox will return.
Samus will return.

From there, I believe we will get maybe a few more locked, and definitely more characters as DLC options.
Ultimately I think we may get some base characters who are completely new, likely from New Series.
However, I expect the DLC of the new game to function a lot like in other games, being primarily fan favorites, and promotions (in this case to third parties).
I definitely agree with you that a reboot is probably the best route for the series since the other options would be to port Ultimate, which would get stale over time, or to make an underwhelming sequel with cuts and little additions. For the reboot, I definitely think a more fleshed out story can be made along with revamped fighters and unique modes like a CTF/KOTH since we’re not worrying about 70+ fighters.

Outside of :ultluigi:, I feel like this roster has the most essential characters of Nintendo’s most successful IPs as of now (I will admit it’s sad to also see :ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultfalcon: excluded).

For a potential reboot in 2024ish, what would stages be like?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I definitely agree with you that a reboot is probably the best route for the series since the other options would be to port Ultimate, which would get stale over time, or to make an underwhelming sequel with cuts and little additions. For the reboot, I definitely think a more fleshed out story can be made along with revamped fighters and unique modes like a CTF/KOTH since we’re not worrying about 70+ fighters.

Outside of :ultluigi:, I feel like this roster has the most essential characters of Nintendo’s most successful IPs as of now (I will admit it’s sad to also see :ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultfalcon: excluded).

For a potential reboot in 2024ish, what would stages be like?
Thanks! I can update it with my DLC favorites.
I do think Luigi would be the first. Maybe even free.
And then I would also think Captain Falcon would be on it.
Maybe they'd even all four come back if the series were given enough passes.
But I do actually think Ness and Jiggs wouldn't make it.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
If it were to be a full on hard reboot with new mechanics and the like, I would go with 20 characters, i tryed to represent most of the major nintendo franchises

:ultmario::ultbowser::ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultfox::ultpit::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultrob::ultness::ultfalcon::ultminmin Would all return, and the newcomers would be the pokemon trainer from the newest pokemon games, tiki from fire emblem and rex and pyra from xenoblade

:ultmario::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultlink: :ultinkling: are all givens

:ultisabelle: was chosen over :ultvillager: because she's the series mascot and one of the most popular characters

:ultpit::ultminmin:ultfox: aren't as important but they're important enough

:ultrob::ultfalcon::ultness: were chosen to represent the older nintendo systems and games

:ultbowser: was chosen so I could have a villain
so with that logic you would think i would choose :ultganondorf: but I went with :ultzelda: because she's more iconic
and has been in more games

I wanted a new pokemon trainer instead of red to have more than just kanto

i chose rex and pyra over shulk because i think they would be more interesting
same thing with tiki

I had the idea for each fighter to have a special ability
Mario can jump on foes to deal damage, link can switch different weapons, samus can turn into zero suit, pikachu can level up,etc
but i am having trouble thinking of one for some characters

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
if I were to do veterans only i would replace the newcomers with :ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultshulk:

i know people will be upset i chose :ultpokemontrainer: instead of a pokemon from another generation but he's more unique than :ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultincineroar::ultpichu:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
if I were to do veterans only i would replace the newcomers with :ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultshulk:

i know people will be upset i chose :ultpokemontrainer: instead of a pokemon from another generation but he's more unique than :ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultincineroar::ultpichu:
Imo, I agree that :ultpokemontrainer: should be one of the higher priorities (definitely over :ultmewtwo: and :ultlucario: would are already prioritized over :ultincineroar: and :ultpichu: if clones are not accounted for ) since they are the protagonist of pokemon and has a more unique movesets (I’d be interested having the trainer fight themselves instead to reduce dev time, and it’d still be more unique imo).

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I updated the roster and made this neat picture for it.
made it 25 fighters because I think 20 isn't enough
:ultolimar: was always meant to be included, I just forgot him
for his reasoning, see :ultfox::ultpit::ultminmin
his ability is plucking pikmin

:ultwario: was added because I wanted another villain but i didn't want to give a series already represented a new rep
can't think of a gimmick for him though

Chibi Robo was added because he's from one of the few semi relevant series not yet represented
his gimmick is that he uses energy while fighting, and when he loses most of his energy he becomes slow and weak,
so you use his down-B, where he recharges himself

for dragaux, see :ultwario: and chibi robo
his special ability would be that his taunts are all him working out,
and they would make him stronger

for karate joe, see chibi robo
his gimmick would be that his attacks are stronger if you do them do the beat of the music

:ultmiifighters: were added because they are iconic mascots of the wii era
their gimmick is fairly obvious, they are customizeable

Pupp135

Smash Lord
why :ultmewtwo: and :ultlucario:? they are both very popular and unique, imo :ultincineroar: and :ultpichu: should be lowest priority, one irrelevent and the other's a clone
I do think that :ultincineroar: is bottom priority (:ultpichu: is weird since its a clone but would also be bottom prioritiy if clones are not accounted for), but :ultpokemontrainer: brings something different by being a human character or a character with the switching mechanic (I don’t think :ultmewtwo::ultlucario: should be cut, but if I was forced to choose among:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:, I’d pick the first choice. I probably just worded it in a weird way).

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I do think that :ultincineroar: is bottom priority (:ultpichu: is weird since its a clone but would also be bottom prioritiy if clones are not accounted for), but :ultpokemontrainer: brings something different by being a human character or a character with the switching mechanic (I don’t think :ultmewtwo::ultlucario: should be cut, but if I was forced to choose among:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:, I’d pick the first choice. I probably just worded it in a weird way).
yeah, the way you worded it made it sound like :ultmewtwo::ultlucario: were bottom priority

Otoad64

Smash Lord
working on a concept for a remake/reboot of Smash 64

here's the roster:
Smash 64 Reimagined.png

I have a google doc with everything in it, but i've only finished Mario and DK's moveset

I know posting this on a dead thread is probably the worst place to get feedback but I'm gonna post it somewhere else once I get more finished and it may make this thread more active so who knows?

here are some of the basic ideas:

-All characters now have a Shield Special, activated by pressing B while Shielding

-All characters now have a Back Tilt, activated by pressing A while holding backwards

-Smash Attacks are now exclusively activated with the R stick, while Tilts are now exclusively activated by pressing A and using the L stick

-Assist Trophies have been reworked. They are now chosen before battle and will be in you HUD. You can activate them with X. When someone uses an assist they have to wait a while to use it again. They are also separated into Support Assists and Attack Assists. They can also

-Weight Classes have been added to the game,

Weight Classes Include:
-Heavy
-Cruiser
-Medium
-Light
-Feather

-Final Smashes have changed, they are now exclusive to FS meters, and FS meters make you stronger the more they fill up.

Mario's Moveset:

Donkey Kong's Moveset:

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
working on a concept for a remake/reboot of Smash 64

here's the roster:
View attachment 301139

I have a google doc with everything in it, but i've only finished Mario and DK's moveset

I know posting this on a dead thread is probably the worst place to get feedback but I'm gonna post it somewhere else once I get more finished and it may make this thread more active so who knows?

here are some of the basic ideas:

-All characters now have a Shield Special, activated by pressing B while Shielding

-All characters now have a Back Tilt, activated by pressing A while holding backwards

-Smash Attacks are now exclusively activated with the R stick, while Tilts are now exclusively activated by pressing A and using the L stick

-Assist Trophies have been reworked. They are now chosen before battle and will be in you HUD. You can activate them with X. When someone uses an assist they have to wait a while to use it again. They are also separated into Support Assists and Attack Assists. They can also

-Weight Classes have been added to the game,

Weight Classes Include:
-Heavy
-Cruiser
-Medium
-Light
-Feather

-Final Smashes have changed, they are now exclusive to FS meters, and FS meters make you stronger the more they fill up.

Mario's Moveset:

Donkey Kong's Moveset:
While I’d like to keep the smash ball, back tilt and special shields would be interesting changes to the series gameplay. I also like the assist trophy change.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
While I’d like to keep the smash ball, back tilt and special shields would be interesting changes to the series gameplay. I also like the assist trophy change.
yeah, I do like the Smash Ball, but I just wanted to make the FS meter do more then just activate your Final Smash

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Now that Ultimate is over, I'll do a soft reboot roster for its sequel, which would presumably release later this decade.

Sakurai stated that if he were to have done a reboot, it would've been 1/3 of Ultimate's roster size, so 29.7, which can be rounded up to 30. However, the roster won't entirely be comprised of veterans. Every Smash game has newcomers and they entice people to buy the game. There aren't that many here, but then again, Ultimate's base game had five unique newcomers and some extra clones.

Veterans (those who unfortunately don't make the cut can be repurposed into other roles):
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi:
:ultwario:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:+ Dixie (half a newcomer, basically reuses :ulticeclimbers:'s duo mechanic)
:ultlink::ultzelda:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:
:ultfalcon:
:ultness:
:ultmarth:
:ultrobinf:
:ultolimar:
:ultshulk:
:ultinkling:
:ultgnw:

Newcomers:
Ganon
Bandana Dee
:052: (one of the most iconic Pokémon and one that can represent both the anime and Team Rocket)
Tom Nook (only here because I wanted to have a decent selection of newcomers, otherwise I'd prioritise :ultvillager: over every NPC)
Isaac/other pre-2010 IP (like Karate Joe, an Advance Wars CO, Style Savvy, etc.)

I probably wouldn't do DLC, but only to allow for the roster to grow in a potential sequel. This is also why I left out third parties, otherwise I would've thrown :ultsonic: back in.

Final roster:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy:+ Dixie:ultfalcon:
:ultlink::ultzelda:Ganon:ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:Bandana Dee :ultfox::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::052::ultmewtwo::ultness: :ultmarth::ultrobinf:Tom Nook:ultshulk::ultinkling:Isaac/other IP:ultgnw:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby:Bandana Dee
:ultfox::ultpikachu::052::ultfalcon::ultrobinf::ultvillager::ultinkling:
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultlink:Ganon:ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultfalcon:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:/ :ultlucario::ultness::ultmarth::ultolimar:Tom Nook:ultinkling:Isaac/other IP:ultgnw:

It really pained me to cut Luigi and Dedede. I kept Ganon, Nook, and Isaac/other in order for the game to still have newcomers, albeit on a limited roster. Though Meowth is a newcomer in the 30 characters version, I still think Mewtwo is a bigger priority, hence why, in this version, Lucario could be added instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom