• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Majora's Mask Mafia | Game Over!

X1-12

Smash Champion
general getting to know you chitchat

@DanGR, Vocal and Pierre: If you were scum who would be your ideal scumbuddies? why?

Is there anything from the pre-game confirmation that you think should be used in evidence against anyone? (do you have any scum picks based on what's happened so far)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
OS we should form a secret masonry that the mod doesn't know about, but instead of chatting in private, we'll do it all in this thread in secret code language that we'll have to invent in this thread without anyone else realizing it.

X1-12

Smash Champion
someimtes even joking about breaking rules can get you modkilled

err on the side of caution

also buddying up to people makes me not like you

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS we should form a secret masonry that the mod doesn't know about, but instead of chatting in private, we'll do it all in this thread in secret code language that we'll have to invent in this thread without anyone else realizing it.
Speak only in english. Posting in another language, encrypting your
post in some code of some way, or anything similar to this is not allowed.

It is rule #9 AND #10. Hilt's spr srs bout that one.

Also X1 hates people that have friends. :(

X1, I have slept on Dastrn's floor and played Final Fantasy music on his keyboard.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

So far, I have only played one game, a Newbie Mafia run by Hilt as well. I became interested in playing because of Mafia exp irl; I went to a summer camp a while ago and basically played this 5 out of the 7 nights I was there. From like 11 at night. Til 3. <3 Mafia ^_^

Vote: DanGR

Because Tristana > Nidalee.
Tristana is better than Nidalee... Why rub it in my face. :(

@DanGR, Vocal and Pierre: If you were scum who would be your ideal scumbuddies? why?

Is there anything from the pre-game confirmation that you think should be used in evidence against anyone? (do you have any scum picks based on what's happened so far)
Can you rephrase that first question? As I said earlier, the only person I've ever played with in this group is Vocal in Newbie Mafia 8 (link in my last post), who I thought was scum the entire game. Besides his performance last game, I don't know anything about y'all's playstyles so how can you expect me to point out ideal scumbuddies right now?

And nothing pregame strikes me as being particularly off.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
EBWOP: The only person I've played with in this group is Vocal in Newbie Mafia 8, (which was my first game, as I said earlier) who I thought was scum the entire game.

(Did I use ebwop correctly here?)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

The kind that turns himself in so justice prevails! :D

...oh wait, that answer doesn't work for you? Well that's rude, just assuming I want to be good at being scum if I were to be scum. How do you know that I wouldn't have moral conflicts? Maybe my dad is the godfather, maybe I never wanted this, MAYBE I WANTED TO GO BE A STAR ON BROADWAY BUT MY DAD SAID FUGGEDABOUDIT!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Since I'm guessing this is no help to anyone, I might as well tack on a real answer. My ideal scum partner would be someone who doesn't apply pressure that's obviously in the wrong place. Someone who knows how to choose their battles :)

Someone like you. *looks deeply into your eyes*

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws

I would choose Overswarm and Swiss as my scummates. They are both strong players and the consensus seems like they are hard to read. I do not have any scum picks so far. The only thing that I thought was of note or possibly good to mull over as discussion was this:

In other news, all of our replacements are really good replacements. I'm not sure how I feel about pressuing ACTUAL inactives this game. Pressuring inactives that just happen to post enough to be prodded is one thing, but those receiving multiple prods I wouldn't be opposed to them being replaced. Stronger players = stronger town. I may change my mind on this later.
I didn't really know what to think when I read this. I thought it was strange, because I sort of assumed that this was the norm already. You pressure inactives that you think you can pressure back into the game, and if you think they are sincerely inactive, you ask for them to be replaced.

@OS: Are you normally opposed to replacements, or do you normally favor mod-kills or lynches instead?

also buddying up to people makes me not like you
Why is that, and what do you and dont you consider buddying?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I would choose Overswarm and Swiss as my scummates. They are both strong players and the consensus seems like they are hard to read. I do not have any scum picks so far. The only thing that I thought was of note or possibly good to mull over as discussion was this:

I didn't really know what to think when I read this. I thought it was strange, because I sort of assumed that this was the norm already. You pressure inactives that you think you can pressure back into the game, and if you think they are sincerely inactive, you ask for them to be replaced.

@OS: Are you normally opposed to replacements, or do you normally favor mod-kills or lynches instead?

Your name makes me think of Fiddlesticks. <Way too addicted to LoL.

I realized that I know very little about each of you.

X1, I answered your question - now it's time to return the favor! What do you think about quiet people?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You've made good choices. Unfortunately Swiss will consider that a reason not to trust you and my ego makes me happy to hear that, which means I get defensive, which means I'll watch you closer. Just saying.

Your "@OS" statements? They're both the same. loaded question. I'll assume that's by accident.

The answer is, it depends. If the replacements are weak or the inactive has been overall scummy or completely a blank slate? I'd like them dead. If we've got strong replacements coming in like in this game that I know will read and comment? Replace in. I'm strictly a "play to win" guy in that sense. No emotion involved. Should a player that has caused havoc go inactive, he will need to die for information purposes regardless of who his replacement is. might as well be modkilled. So on and so forth. Exceptions abound, and the "rule" changes like the wind, but you get my idea.

Buddying is any action that works to psychologically attach yourself in some way to another player so that it appears there is, or is in actuality, a connection that can be observed by both an immediate or third party; from my observations, I have noted that scum-to-town buddying via words is most common in mid game while early and late game is generally more action-oriented (such as voting or FoSing). As such, I tend to note trends in regards to buddying as town buddy simultaneously with votes AND words (as this is consistent with their own desires rather than an ultimate goal). If scum did this, they would be incredibly easy to catch. This helps me narrow down my pool considerably, as either I'm right and I have a smaller pool in which to find a scum member or two or Scum has left a trail as bright as the sun after snowfall. Win/win.

What do you think of roleclaiming, Scarecrow? When should it be done, for what purpose, and is there ever a situation where mass roleclaiming is important?

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
My power just went out when I was almost finished. This draft is much shorter.

It was by accident.

Your attitude on replacements is what I expected.

My buddying question was towards X1-12.

Roleclaiming should be done when you are L-1 for the purpose of saving your own skin and re-directing the lynch, should be done when you have caught some scum (preferably more than 1, and if you can wait until you have caught more than one, do so, unless a mafia roleblocker has flipped and no protective roles have flipped, or if you think there is just one more mafia remaining and you have caught him, or if you fear you cannot push your target's lynch without dying the next night even if you didnt claim), and there are situations where mass roleclaiming is important, because it forces scum to lie, but it shouldn't be done early, it should be done after actions have been made and there is a large enough paper trail to compare against claimed night actions.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Newbie 8 was my first online mafia game. I've read through a lot of games on the Mafiascum website, though.

And I've played IRL with friends before.

X1-12, did you read the first of the two quoted posts above before you asked me who my ideal scumbuddies would be in the second quote? It seems like after reading the first it'd be fairly obvious that I wouldn't know who the ideal scumbuddies in this group would be before I even went into detail about not having played with any of these guys before (except Vocal).

Considering the above, I have to ask... what kind of answer were you expecting?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
EBWOP: before I [later] went into detail about not having played with any of these guys before (except Vocal).

X1-12

Smash Champion
@ Pierre, much as it pains me to say it, OS would be my ideal scumbuddy, followed by Swiss.
i don't like buddying, although it is often harmless in very early game its not a good habit to get into.
Quiet people who don't post and get prodded should be replaced, peole who post every 47, (or 71) hours should be seriously looked into.

Wrt: pregame talk, no nothing stood out as odd, although thats not to say there was nothing of interest there

@Vocal, as I said, it was mainly getting to know you chitchat but sometimes people answer such questions in an aggressive way and/or say something inncriminating or unusual which can be looked at later in the game after some of the player's flips have been seen. i did see that post you quoted but I thought its probably worth asking anyway

on my phone, sorry about speelling/grammar errors

Swiss

Smash Lord
Glad to see X1 making a nice, scummy intro - gives me an easy D1 lynch.

X1, you missed Dan's question (hard to see right above your post amirite?)

I have found a reason not to trust Pierre.

You gunning for the medal again, OS?

Swiss

Smash Lord
What is it about Vocal and Dan you find similar? You have no experience with either, so why do you feel so 'comfortable' around vocal?

Why state you answered the question twice? Am I a poor reader, or do you have a guilty conscience? Pray tell.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Scarecrow, I pray you are town aligned. I think I'd like to finish this game with you.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Scarecrow, I pray you are town aligned. I think I'd like to finish this game with you.
Maybe harmless buddying.

MAYBE a mafiate wanting to kill Scarecrow in the last LYLO.

What makes you want Scarecrow as an ally (assuming you're town) so much? And why not me :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Maybe harmless buddying.

MAYBE a mafiate wanting to kill Scarecrow in the last LYLO.

What makes you want Scarecrow as an ally (assuming you're town) so much? And why not me :(
He's intelligent, and going along with him is a good way to learn how he works. Openly claiming I'd like to discuss my thoughts with him makes it obvious that, yes, I am buddying him, and I am not being manipulative in this.

It may change if I consider him scummy later, but I believe in keeping those most likely to be able deceive me as close as possible. Either way I win. If he's town, I get good reads with him. If he's scum, he's going to be watched closely from the beginning.

Purple

Hi guys!
EBWOP: Vocal, your questions seem to be a bit, well, bad. Questions that generally have a 'best' answer. And the best answer isn't even that hard to figure. What did you think you were going to figure out with the questions you just asked?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
EBWOP: Vocal, your questions seem to be a bit, well, bad. Questions that generally have a 'best' answer. And the best answer isn't even that hard to figure. What did you think you were going to figure out with the questions you just asked?
There's no such thing as bad questions when it comes to asking people about their motivations. Even if the answer is obvious, the way they communicate it will give more information than what they say.

bad questions are those that create risk without creating enough reward to offset the risk. such as "you're the cop, aren't you?" on day 1. good cops will have to lie, and then will have to explain their lie later. lynch all liars is ruined if you set up town to have to lie to keep things safe.

i suppose I should have just let vocal speak for himself, though. :ohwell:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'm not entirely sure :laugh: Like I said before, I'm relatively new to forum mafia. At this point in the game I get the impression that it's best to simply become familiar with everyone's character profile, so I was just trying to find out more about OS as a player. It may also serve as a reference point later in the game; you never know which post might become a piece of evidence. The more people post the better ^_^

Honestly I just wanted to ask a question and that's the best one I came up with.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
EBWOP: There should be a comma after "people post." Yes, I grammar check my posts; yes, I felt this was important enough to warrant noting; and yes. you may continue with your day.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Can you ask someone a 'good' question

Purple

Hi guys!
EBWOP: Also Dastrn, I'd agree with your comment, if you're willing to tell me in what ways would they have been able to communicate differently to vocal; otherwise I still think the question didn't help much.

Vocal just said a moment ago that he (or she) wasn't really sure what they were going for when they asked that question. I would consider that problematic however you are new to mafia so i'll say this instead.

You should have a backup reason for asking questions in my opinion, or better yet, your questions should weight for you to use later.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What on Earth do I call you for short? Let's go with Perv for now :D

Well, Perv, I would say that I'm not experienced enough of a player to know precisely what type of statements are useful (those containing scum tells) in late game. The newbie game I was in lasted 2 days, so you could say that I'm new to asking insightful questions. This said, I know that the more people talk the more likely it is that you will find something to call a person out with, which is why I asked a question.

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
unvote vote: J

There's no such thing as bad questions when it comes to asking people about their motivations. Even if the answer is obvious, the way they communicate it will give more information than what they say.

bad questions are those that create risk without creating enough reward to offset the risk. such as "you're the cop, aren't you?" on day 1. good cops will have to lie, and then will have to explain their lie later. lynch all liars is ruined if you set up town to have to lie to keep things safe.

i suppose I should have just let vocal speak for himself, though. :ohwell:
Dastrn, what do you think about Lynch all Liars? Is it a good policy?

X1, would you consider your comment an attack against me, or a defense to vocal; explain why for either case.
I look forward to X1-12's answer to this question, and then Roxy's.

X1-12

Smash Champion
X1, would you consider your comment an attack against me, or a defense to vocal; explain why for either case.
Neither, just an effort to get this game going and getting people to contribute

Vocal, playing the noob card like that in later game will not end well for you. Read other games if you are looking for good questions.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Neither, just an effort to get this game going and getting people to contribute

Vocal, playing the noob card like that in later game will not end well for you. Read other games if you are looking for good questions.
Well my question was just trying to do the same thing you just mentioned - get the game going and getting people to contribute.

From now on I'll let others ask the initial questions unless I have something specifically pressing to inquire about or a specific purpose in mind :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Day One Vote Count
[1] Pierre the Scarecrow: Overswarm
[1] JoanBud: X1-12
[1] DanGR: Vocal
[1] J: Pierre the Scarecrow

[7] Note Voting: Adumbrodeus, DanGR, Pervatasaurus, JoanBud, J, Swiss, Dastrn

Day one will end October 8th at 3:00 PM.
With eleven players remaining it takes six votes to lynch.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
@J - I played with you a bit in DR mafia, I'd like to know if you've learned anything from that game and if you'll be using what you learned there in this game.
I learned alot and even some of your best friends can be mafia so I am a little untrusting still =p though I have learned alot. I plan to do better (kindof hoping moreorless). x.x

What games have you guys played in (here, mafiascum, ect)?

Do you have any IRL mafia expirience?
I have played one game in the DR with Roxy who is also in this game. Currently I am in the middle of playing Oddworld and Villains along with this one. I have no clue why but ever since that game in the DR I have been addicted to this game.

I do actually have some IRL mafia exp. ;o

unvote vote: J
I am assuming this was to lure me out to post? Or is there a legitimate reason for the vote may I ask?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
unvote

vote adumbrodeus

where are your mouth words

You're more quiet than normal.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vote: X1-12

My vote goes towards lynching X1 for now. He seems most likely to be scum atm, aside from those that haven't posted anything so far (Joanbud & J).

J, what do you think about X1's responses? About the game thus far? Does anything peculiar and/or of interest stand out to you?

What is it about Vocal and Dan you find similar? You have no experience with either, so why do you feel so 'comfortable' around vocal?

Why state you answered the question twice? Am I a poor reader, or do you have a guilty conscience? Pray tell.
This question directed at X1 wasn't answered.

From now on I'll let others ask the initial questions unless I have something specifically pressing to inquire about or a specific purpose in mind :)
Do you think you'll survive by playing this way?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ninja'd.

I guess Joanbud is now the only person who hasn't posted yet.

Top Bottom