• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining characters because of Fanboy/girlism or playstyle in Brawl?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I'm actually jealous of some of you guys. Alot of you guys will be maining characters because of your emotional attachment to the character, and not because they'll be awesome characters. You guys'll be maining characters that you have deep nostalgia for because you played their games when you were younger and loved them so much.

What does this mean for me? lol I don't really have any emotional attachment to the character's games. I definitely played their games and enjoyed them lots but I didn't become a... fanboy, I guess, of the character. The only characters that I'm close to having that attachment to is Snake(having played a little of the Metal Gears) and Sonic(but his recent games made me lose faith). The only characters that I'm actually a fanboy of are the Ice Climbers and that's just because I love playing them in Melee so much and they're so cute! ^_^

I guess the only characters that have a chance of making it in that I would main regardless of whatever because of how much I loved their game is Lip. Panel De Pon is my favorite puzzle game of all time. If somehow, by some crazy twist of fate, Nintendo managed to grab:

Gum from Jet Grind Radio(Favorite character from favorite game of all time)

Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue(main character from second favorite game of all time)

or

Gunstars Red and/or Blue. Gunstar Heroes is my third fave game ever. Original(right or redesign(left)? YOU DECIDE!

I'd main them regardless because of how much of a fanboy I am.

I guess the point of this thread is:
a) who are your planned mains and why are you planning on maining them?
b) who would you main because you're a hella fanboy/girl of their game?

GOOOOOOOO!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
In Melee, I mained Mario and Luigi because of fanboyness, and Marth and Pikachu because of the way they played.

In Brawl, I will be maining Mario, Sonic, and Red because of Fanboyness.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Samus and Lucas because of fanboyness.

Pit cause I like angels... and I've played some of his game, enjoyed it, and come Feb 10, I *WILL* have played his game.

Ice Climbers if Desynching is in.

Secondary Sonic just because...

Among other options. The only characters I will not drop if they suck are Lucas and Samus.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if I'll necessarily be *maining* Ike, but I really like him as a character from Path of Radiance, so I'll at least make an effort to use him despite how badly everyone thinks of him. I'll probably still main Mario/Peach/Marth or Falcon if they're still in, but Ike will definitely go in there because he's awesome.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the original SSB64, i picked Link and Samus because i liked their style and original games. Later, i also took Luigi and Jigglypuff for their crazy fighting techniques. Finally, i picked Ness as my main out of curiosity, which lead me to play Earthbound and learn to love the Mother franchise.

When Melee came along, I continued using Samus, Luigi, Jiggles, Ness and kind of dropped link. Of the newcomers, i started using Roy (i like fire and sword based characters), tried to use Mewtwo (and gave up on him) and enjoyed playing as the Ice Climbers and Sheik.

When Brawl comes, i think i'll begin playing with Ike, Metaknight Lucas, and i'll just have to try Snake.

Cless

Smash Champion
I used Pikachu in the first game because I thought he was good, and I used Sheik in Melee because I thought she was good. This is way before I knew about the tier lists for either game; back when I was a wee lad.

Anyways, Brawl looks like it's going to be the first time that I'll pick characters based upon who I really like (Sonic and Ike).

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
SSB64 had me pick up Mario and Kirby, purely because I was young and didn't know the difference in skill really. Once I unlocked Ness, I started maining him and Mario. Ness because of skill, Mario because of 'fanboyness'

Melee comes, I start with Kirby again, Bowser, Ness, and Captain Falcon. Soon find out about 'tiers' and the smash community, ditched Bowser, took up Sheik instead. Unlocked Luigi, loved his playstyle. Found smashboards later one, ditched Kirby. Now I pretty much play Ness, Luigi, Sheik, Falcon, and Samus.

With Brawl coming, I'll probably go with Bowser, Diddy and Kirby for fanboyness, Lucas for replacing Ness, and Snake for pure curiosity. But I'll officially decide once the game comes out :)

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Don't be jealous, take pity instead. Some characters will be good in Brawl, and some won't be. It really sucks to like a character so much that you only play him/her, even though it means you will have to work 10 times harder to get half the results as someone who uses a top or high tier. I've seen a local player get exponentially better through the years, but he loses to people he's smarter/faster/more experienced than because he only plays one bottom tier. And it's almost painful to see ;_;

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
KirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirbyKirby.

I'll probaly be playing as Sonic too, but mostly just because he seems fun to play as.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Back in the SSB64 days, I chose Ness out of pure curiosity. I had just been introduced to Pokémon only a year earlier (like the rest of the Western world), so I was instantly interested in Pikachu, but my true affinity lied with Psychic Pokémon. Ness was thus the closest I could come to utilizing the psychic powers that fascinated me so. I grew to love the little guy, and I recently downloaded Earthbound just so I could finally understand firsthand what makes the series so appealing.

In Melee, however, things changed. Early screenshots showed Toad as a playable character, so I was obviously excited. When I found out that such would not be the case, I was very upset. Since Peach used a Toad as a human shield, I decided that I might as well play as the princess--after all, I had thoroughly enjoyed SMB2, and she was my second choice (next to Toad, of course). I immediately became infatuated with the princess, and I have mained her ever since. I was already accustomed to her floating and turnips thanks to her debut outing, so nostalgia alone gave Peach a special place in my heart. She just plays so effortlessly for me--it comes so naturally. Granted, I'm no vidjo, but I feel most comfortable utilizing Peach.

Brawl looks to be even better in every way imaginable. Peach looks stellar (as always!), so I will no doubt be playing as her this time around as well. It's thoroughly exciting to see Pit, though, and I can say with certainty that I'm going to love playing as him as well. Kid Icarus was a fun and challenging experience, and it's great to see the little guy back in action. He looks phenomenal, and I'd really like to try him out. At first I was skeptical about Lucas; after reading about MOTHER3 and actually playing the game, however, I was smitten. Lucas, in my opinion, is infinitely better than Ness. The story in M3 is just far more interesting and engaging. "Funny, strange, heartrending"--truer words were never spoken. Peach, Pit, and Lucas will form my perfect little Brawl trifecta. :bigthumbu

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
In 64 I started playing Link because of fanboyness, but after I got familiar with the game I picked up Ness and liked his style so he became my main since. I then played Mother 1 and 2 so I got even more attached to him, he was the first character I tried out in Melee (and I was quite disappointed :() and I'll probably still use him in Brawl (lol hope).

I've still always played Link a lot and I definitely will in Brawl. I haven't played Mother 3 yet so I don't care much about Lucas (**** clone)...

Besides that I'm looking forward to Ike, Pit and Pokemon Trainer for pure fanboyness (their games rule), also new Ganondorf =)

But this is just based on based on nostalgia or love for the respective games by the way... Because in Melee I enjoy playing the most with Marth, Fox, C.Falcon and others who I have no emotional attachment to, nor their games. So actually it's more important to me to have great playability and style to a character than to just have a familiar character with a meh moveset. In the same way I don't care if we get a character that I really hate (in their games) as long as it's very fun to use (lolKrystalmaybe). Though ideally I'd rather get both in one :colorful:

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Hm... boozer (slow spectrum and fanboi-ism) sonic (fast spectrum, also squealing fanboi-ism) and metaknight (awesome spectrum, yeah.... I'm a big fanboi)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
This is honestly what I love about Smash bros. You don't see other fighting games getting drama like this. ^_^

samspot

Smash Rookie
I'm a sucker for cool taunts, and I fell in love with Peach's "Sweet!". Also liked toad's "I'm the Best!" from mario kart :).

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
No one maining Wario? =(

I'll main metaknight and Pokemon Trainer.
Metaknight looks really cool, and well.. Red's pokemon are looking good to =)

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably be maining Sonic, I'm not much of a fan of the anime nor the games, but after hearing how much Fox(Current main) got nerfed and the way I can't really get the most of my fighting unless I'm fast, Sonic, for now atleast, is probably going to be my main.

Though, as a character I'm attached to, that would be Ivan, or even Sheba from Golden Sun and Golden Sun II, though that's probably asking for too much, so even Isaac or Felix would be great, I really don't see how none of the Golden Sun cast haven't made it to Smash yet, GS is the best game I've played, ever, by far, they're also seem like they would just fit right in, but GS isn't really on the mainstream, so if they do make it to Brawl it would be either as an unlockable, explaining why we haven't seen them yet, or, unlikely, as AT.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I will first place with the characters I have some attachment to from their games, however, that does not mean I will main them. If I cannot play with their style (eg Ike's slow/strong style) then I will just use them for fun sometimes.

I main who I can use the best, but still enjoy playing with characters that I just like.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Well in Melee I mained Peach (no specific reason, she just ended up with an alright playstyle that suited me) and Zelda (I have a soft spot for magic users in any game, although oddly enough I had never played a LoZ game at the time. Since I finished Twilight Princess I've been backtracking and buying the previous games though) but I'd play Ice Climbers on the side for fun and Kirby for nostalgia value.

Kirby's Dreamland in black and white on the GB was the first ever game I officially "finished" many, many years ago. I'm hoping to main Kirby if he's better in Brawl than he was in Melee, or if not head for King Dedede since Meta Knight will likely be subject to his "bad-***-edry" (heh, SMYN) even if some people barely know who he is. I've always been a fan of the Kirby series so I'm hoping to main atleast SOMEONE from it. Also possibly Zelda again since I've grown to love the franchise, although Midna would definately give her a run for her money if she made it in.

Lastly, Marina Liteyears, (or hell even Banjo-Kazooie if we're on the subject of incredibly unlikely 3rd-partiers) I would main in a second just because of all the awesome memories from both Mischief Makers and the Banjo-Kazooie franchise in the N64 era. Bomberman has also given me some pleasant gaming experiences over the years, and if he made it in (much more likely than Marina or Banjo, though still a bit of a long-shot) could also be a contender.

I really think I'll just end up with a bit of a tough decision when Brawl is released >.<

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
When 64 came out, I always picked Link because I've been a huge Zelda fanboy since I was a young'n. I wasnt very good back then, but he became my 'main' for that game. Then I started playing my friends in it instead of just my siblings, and I realized I really wasn't that good with him, lol. I switched to Kirby because he was my best by far.

When Melee came they completely screwed Kirby, so I went back to Link and Young Link. I got fairly good with them in Melee, but I ended up maining Fox because he was better.

In Brawl I'm sure I will go straight back to Link first because I'm a fanboy :D
I'm also really excited to play as the TP Ganondorf if he makes the cut.

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
I'll be playing zero suit samus because of fan boy -ism. And taking zoomed in screen shots because of fan boy-ism. And...doing other stuff with the screenshots because of.........fan boy-ism.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Kirby Kirby and more Kirby. Meta Dedede and the Puffball are my top mains since I am pretty much a Kirby diehard. I'll also sub main Ike, My main man Mario, and possibly Snake and Sonic for fun.

As a Sonic fanboy, I think you are taking this to far. Yes, I own nearly every game that has Sonic in it, but that is not the only game I play (hence I'm on Smashboards) and I do look forward to playing other characters too. If a character like Sonic will not match my playing style to win, I won't play as him unless it's for nostalgic reasons. Three reasons people play as a certain character in any game is:
1)Top tier or they heard they were good
2)They are a favorite character
3)Sheer dumb luck
Why care why people play as a certain character? A lot of people play Fox/Falco in Melee because they are Top Tier and that's it. They may hate the character all around, but they'll play as them because they like to win. I play as characters I like because I played their other games and like them there as well. So... what? Why should I care?
This has been a fanboy's rant on why it really doesn't matter what character you play as, as long as you are getting out of the game what you want.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
ill main Mega Man because i love him so much, but even if i never played his games i would prolly still main him
Mega Man is awesome, if he makes it he needs to come together with ALL of the Mega Man 2 and 3 music.... especially 2 =).

LOL I almost want his music more than him... almost.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
That's why you will always be my main, Falco :D Star fox is my one of my favorite series and Falco has always been one of my favorite video game characters.

Come to Brawl!!

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
Well in SSB64, I just played random characters at the beginning, but picked up Samus. I had never played a Metroid game before, but Samus's Up+B was good IMO, and I had a big gun. And with me and my friends, my Samus was the best. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Samus was bottom tier in SSB64. I avoided Ness, Luigi, Falcon, and Ness for the sole reason that I didn't want to rely on them if I went to some kids house and they didn't have them unlocked. But ya, I mained Samus.

First thing I do when I get SSBM is try out Captain Falcon. Among my friends, only Captain Falcon players could give me a run for my money in SSB64, and since he was unlocked from the start, why not try him? Well as soon as I discovered Samus's missiles, back to being a Samus main. Eventually, due to Space Animals, I picked up Dr. as a secondary, for the sole reason that the cape is pretty good against a space animal Up + B. Eventually he got replaced by Marth, but I still main Samus. I picked up Link as a low tier as I do love the LoZ games, and have recently picked up Jiggly for the heck of it/resting ppl is fun.

So basically, I'm going to main Samus. Probably will pick up ZSS. I'm going to try out Pit (Angels = awesome) and Pokemon Trainer (Yes I'm a PokeNerd). But if I find I like someone else, who isn't a space animal, that I like, I may play them.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
In 64 I mained mario because I liked the games and Link (who I didn't know at the time) because he wielded a sword.

In melee I main Mario for some fanboyism, peach, because in every fighting game I main one female and one male,and link.

In brawl maybe will main Link and Mario to keep with the tradition. If Micaiah is in though she will be my number one main then Mario and Link.

T-major

Smash Champion
I mained Kirby in 64 because of Fanboy-ism, but I droped him in Melee because of the way he played (swiched to Captain Falcon *fanboy-ism* and Young Link *Play style*). In Brawl, I'm going to use....

- The Kirby Trio; Kirby first, then Dedede, then Meta Knight in terms of who I'll use more
- Captain Falcon
- Ganondorf, if he has the Sword of the Sages from TP (I love that sword!)
- Claus, if he gets in
- Snake
- Mewtwo
- Takamaru
- Others....

miller483

Smash Ace
In Smash 64 I mained Mario because of fanboyism and Captain Falcon because F-Zero X was my 2nd favorite multiplayer game at the time (1st being Smash 64 of course)

In Melee I mained Mario and Samus due to fanboyism, and Shiek because of the way she played.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I usually play with whoever I have more fun with, but for me it's

pikachu (fanboy and playstyle)
link (fanboy and playstyle)
Marth (playstyle) I have so much fun with his playstyle

I don't see how someone can play someone just from fanboyism, do you actually have fun from just the fact that you like the character ?

miller483

Smash Ace
I usually play with whoever I have more fun with, but for me it's

pikachu (fanboy and playstyle)
link (fanboy and playstyle)
Marth (playstyle) I have so much fun with his playstyle

I don't see how someone can play someone just from fanboyism, do you actually have fun from just the fact that you like the character ?
**** YEAH! That's the point of Smash Bros. - You pick your favorite Ninty character(s) and beat the **** outta other Ninty characters!

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Well, if Krystal's in the game, you know there's only one reason for anyone to play her! :>

Hell, Ness and Kirby are two of my childhood game heroes and I think they suck in Melee.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, if Krystal's in the game, you know there's only one reason for anyone to play her! :>

Hell, Ness and Kirby are two of my childhood game heroes and I think they suck in Melee.
To kick your friends' *** with her because they're anti-furry and then laugh at them?

Actually, I can picture her having a good playstyle, so if she's fun to play, I'm using her.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I actually play as alot of characters. Although I start playing more with characters that I'm "in love with"(automaticly giving them a better chance to be my best char) I do try out the other ones, and might use one of those alot later, like I did with Pikachu and Captain Falcon.

I think I'll use Pit alot in Brawl 'cause I think he'll be a good char, and Sonic because of fanboy-ism.(Although he looks like a powerfull character too)

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I main Mario and Luigi because I love the Mario series. But I'll also main Pit and Mega Man(hopefully he's in) because I like those characters.

Top Bottom