• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining characters because of Fanboy/girlism or playstyle in Brawl?

IzunaDrop

Smash Rookie
Luigi is my favorite Nintendo character, so he'll definitely be one of my characters for sure. I'm also really fond of DeDeDe, cause he's a brilliant character imo. Also, I'm a huge fan of Diddy, so he'll likely be one of my characters too though. Outside that, I'm not sure. Those might even change if I play the game and love someone else.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Luigi is my favorite Nintendo character, so he'll definitely be one of my characters for sure. I'm also really fond of DeDeDe, cause he's a brilliant character imo. Also, I'm a huge fan of Diddy, so he'll likely be one of my characters too though. Outside that, I'm not sure. Those might even change if I play the game and love someone else.
I'm guessing that if Nintendo managed to snatch Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, you'd main him? I'm going off of your username.

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
Probably Link, as I've mained him since the first, and because of some of the changes in Brawl. It seems like he's been upgraded a little. I'll probably pick up Ike too, I just love the slower sword users for some reason. And, as much as I doubt his return, if Marth is back, I'll still play him.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Ridley, because bosses in Metroid are sweet, and Ridley is the best of all of them.
Fox because Star Fox is the first pilot type game I ever played, and because he was the first character I could consistently beat my brother with in both games.
Sonic was the first game I have ever played.
Mewtwo, if they improve him to an at least fun extent
King Dedede because... well... uh.... he's nostalgic?
Any of the guys in my sig, I suppose.

XACE-K

Smash Master
For me, I main anybody with a playstyle I like and who I think is a badass. So in melee I mained C.Falcon, Link and Roy. Out of the confirmed characters for Brawl, I will main Snake, Ike and Link.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Ike, when I first played Fire Emblem, I've realized that Ike was way ****** * cooler than any of those other sissy lords, that and I loved Path of Radiance(Despite being easy.) and Radiant Dawn.(Despite being frickin hard at times.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure for brawl I'll be using Sonic, Metaknight, and Zero Suit Samus if we can start with her. Probably will still use pikachu too..

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually if the the girls in my sig make it to the game They'll get alot of attention from me.

Females rule

Wreked

Smash Lord
Well my main for melee was Falcon, and I've never played a f-zero game in my life.

Same goes for Ike, I definitely want to main him even though I know he sucks. But my fanboy for metroid, zelda, and mario games automatically draws me to those characters like Link, Zelda, Samus, Mario and others.

The Director

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm going to main Diddy Kong is because he's my favorite character. Even if he sucks (which right now it looks like he won't) I'm still going to stick with him.

This is how everybody should pick their characters. There are so many phonies in the Smash community. Oh yeah, you play as Marth cause you grew up playing the FE games. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

iMichael

Smash Lord
No one maining Wario? =(

I'll main metaknight and Pokemon Trainer.
Metaknight looks really cool, and well.. Red's pokemon are looking good to =)
If it wasn't for Mario I'd give Wario the number 1 spot but as of now....he's looking at the number two spot

Master Peach

Smash Ace
In 64 I mained Kirby Because I just felt comfortable with him. He had great combos speed and power. I never really played much kirby games in the past but in 64 kirby was a good character I got really good with. it's just way he felt in battle, in was natural. Plus as an added bonus he had awesome recovery. I could come back form anywhere and I barely died in any of my matches. He was that awesome.

When Melee came around I tried kirby out again, only to be disappointed at what happened to him. He got nerfed so bad. I couldn't do much of anything with him anymore. My combos felt unnatural, his moves felt unnatural, and his recovery seemed lacking. I could no longer come back from anything like I use to. I was very disappointed at what happened to him. In my head I said I could no longer main him. He was just too unnatural for me. So I said I'd try out some other people. I say that link got some major improvements so I started using him for a while. But that's when I met a friend who played Smash he used Fox. He made me realize that using Link wouldn't be enough. This is when I got the competitive feel for the game. I then noticed Peach as one of the playable characters in the game. (I didn't put much attention on her because of the other characters.) But I then remembered back in 64 when I played Mario kart That I used peach often even in Mario party, and she always brought me good luck. When I used her I could never lose. She was awesome. So I decided to try her out in Melee. I thought I might get the same effect that I got in the other games. Turns out I was right. No only did she give me good luck but she gave me more. She gave me the same feeling I had when I was using Kirby. For some reason me and Peach Connected. It was amazing how I would avoid death moves and combos so easily with her. She had such good moves (Dsmash!!! XD) and the combos came together so easily (Corneria/Hyrule Temple) From most of friends I won every match off them except for best friend he played smarter than me. It was always a challenge to try and beat him. After a couple of years of using Peach I just knew she was the character for me. Since then I've actually used Peach in every game that has her. Guess you could say I now have a Peach fetish lol. I even now own a Peach doll lol (Nintendo world XD). When I learn about smash boards and how to improve my game with peach this got me excited. But when I found out about the teir list, I never knew that Peach could kick so much ***. It was amazing. This made my love for Peach grow even more. She was more than just a beautiful woman who get kidnapped all the time. She was a person that could fight her own Battles and win XD.

In Brawl Peach Looks even betten than she was in Melee. When I heard that her Dsmash got nerfed I was a little disappointed but I got over it. What made up for it was the buffs she got. Nintendo made her into a better character that I can again love a respect. But even in brawl if they made Peach suck I would still main her. She has made me into the person I am today. Without her I wouldn't be as good as I am in Melee. Thank you Peach XD.

As for my other Main Pit. I never played kid Icarus but I always wanted to. I heard it was a good. When I got the Pit trophy I looked at Pit and thought he was kind of gay, but I still read the history on him. It was interesting what I read. Pit seemed like a unique character. I never expected him to be in Brawl and how much of an evolution he would go through. He looked amazing and with his bow he looked like he could a lot of things plus his recovery looked amazing. In all the Only reason I'm Maining Pit along with Peach for Brawl is because he is looking very promising for Brawl and I've heard a lot of good things about him from the people who played as him in the demo. This makes me feel confident that Pit will be an excellent choice for a main and also because he just looks too cool to be ignored. That's my reason.

Actually if the the girls in my sig make it to the game They'll get alot of attention from me.

Females rule
Dude that's so true. Females are Awesome and can kick so much ***.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
Well... In 64, I played random people, but mainly Mario (fanboyness) and Kirby (..... I have no idea). In Melee, my mains were Bowser (fanboyness), Jiggly (fanboyness and playing style- mostly the latter), Luigi (fanboyness...), Falco (playing style) and Ganon (playing style)... Wow, I have alot. =O

I look forward to maining Meta-Knight (he just.... pwns and I like the Kirby series), Bowser, King Dedede (same as Meta-Knight) and Pokemon Trainer just out of curiousity.

Oh, and when I heard about the tiers, I sticked to my current mains.

Now here's hoping for Jiggz, Ganon, and Luigi for Brawl.... And for Kirby to pwn like he did in 64.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
im maining peach cuz i have an emotional attachment. :chuckle:
hmmm, geeky crush on game character? hehe :p

haha that somehow makes me laugh.. I love her, so Im going to USE her. hah

edit: aa ignore me

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
-Samus- Metroid fan since the 80's!

-Peach- Loved loved LOVED "Princess Toadstool" since Super Mario Bros 2
-Bowser- C'mon, he's awesome! Fan of King Koopa since Super Mario Bros 3

-Diddy Kong- Donkey Kong Country was the most graphically mindblowing game at the time for me, and Diddy kicked butt!

-Pit- KID ICARUS!!!!! Oooomg, such FOND memories of that cozy black background and the soft soft glow of the whites, blues, reds, and yellows coming off of my small 12" color tv in my room late at night before bedtime with the lights off. (same with Metroid)

-Kirby- Kirby Super Star is by far my favorite Kirby game, and one of my top Nintendo choices.
-MetaKnight- Because of Kirby Super Star.
-King Dedede- ...ditto

-Link- Again, a fan since day ONE in the 80s! Twilight Princess freaking rocks!!
-Zelda- This *IS* Zelda's legend, afterall!

-Red- Whether you chose "Red" or "Ash" as one of the default names when you first booted up Pokemon Red ("Blue" or "Gary" if you bought Pokemon Blue), or if you edited your own custom name, Pokemon Red/Blue was the game that started it all, and playing your three starters got my little fanboy heart fluttering...
-Pikachu- After playing the game and noticing the first episodes aired on TV, I noticed Pikachu, and I ended up like him in the cartoon.

As for Mario and Luigi, yeah, they're cool, but they just seem to be so "default" to me, like Ryu and Ken. I don't really gravitate towards them. They're cool, and I'll play as them once in a while, but they've never been my mains.

If TOAD gets in, you bet your face that I'll be all over that shroom!
If MEGA MAN gets in, I'll be charge-shooting my mega-buster all day long!
If GENO gets in, i'd probably die...

------------

That's what so amazing about Brawl, the roster and the fact that they're reworking them from the ground up (to promote more balance? i guess?). It allows people to adopt MORE character to main.

Melee, i only used Samus, Zelda, Sheik, and Doc (occasionally Pikachu, Link, Ness, and Link). The other characters were too nerfed or useless for me to care enough to play them.

Brawl has characters that are ACTUALLY playable...I'm gonna have such an big list of Mains now!

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, lets see..

I've always mained Pikachu and Kirby. That was because I was a big fan of Pokemon and Kirby series when I was young. So, even they'd sucked I would still main them. Just like I stuck with Kirby in melee even though he was terrible compare to others. However, it's also because it's a lot of fun to play with Kirby, so I would main him even without liking him.
If it wasn't for "fanboyism" or liking him I would have probably not main Pikachu, because they are other characters that are little more fun to play with. Today, I don't like Pikachu as much as I did before, but I tend to be loyal to my old favorite characters.
I mostly main Mario/Dr. Mario because I love playing with him, and not because I like him. If he wasn't fun to play with I would probably not main him.

I would main characters like Diddy, Sonic, (WW Link, Paper Mario, if they get in) because of "fanboyism" too.

So, I mostly main characters because of "fanboyism" and I like as characters, because I love playing people like C. Falcon, Ness, Young Link even more than Pikachu but I didn't main them. And characters like Ike and Pit look awesome, but I don't know much about them so I won't main them before either.

Bountyan

Smash Rookie
I main Bowser and Samus because of both, and Fox for play style. I usually try to use characters I like in general, and the way they play.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
luckily, my favorite game of all time is made by the man who created smash. Snake is one of my other favs so its a win there as well. Congrats to the oldschool sonic lovers

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Back when Donkey Kong Country came out I remember always switching to play as Diddy Kong (aldo in DK64 and DKC 2) because I thought he was awesome with that hat of his. So I will probably main him

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I can't lie... it gets me everytime I start talking about how epic the smash brothers series is. The all-stars of Nintendo and now even a couple third party characters have been fortunate enough to be granted entrance.

I still remember at age 5 when my family purchased the original nintendo for me and then a few years later when I had a Sega and played the sonic games... donkey kong country.... with the snes... I was freaking out when I played melee the other day talking about how Donkey Kong jumps in melee just as he did in the original donkey kong country... and let's not forget the original donkey kong game... mario's original apperance...... why do you think I made this.....

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I love all these characters and wish to own at least one game from each of them.

I'll have to say Kirby.

I would be crazy over Pokemon trainer if I still had my gameboy color and my pokemon cards, but those days are over. I hope to get a DS sometime though.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am not really emotionally attached to any character lol,

I will proubley main have a main but more then likey use a variety of other characters to keep the game fresh.

Tanea

Smash Ace
i will main yoshi and peach because i love them and their game(s)

also : pokemon trainer because he looks cool and i like grass types

samus/zamus cause they kick *** in different ways well at least samus does
also zelda with or without sheik and still waiting at on the last one:chuckle::chuckle:

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
have... a... main?
My main changes almost weekly in melee right now since I only play random characters. My best for a long while now has been Marth, so I guess he's my main, but I've just now found myself able to wavedash so I have a lot of fun (and wins) with Luigi. Pikachu has always been one of my best characters since 64, though in melee he's a little on the weakside for me to use effectively and just spamming "nair" for the most part gets a little boring.

The only revealed character I have a particular attachment to is Metaknight. He will be the character I try to main (ie play through classic mode and whatnot with), but I like playing as everyone in melee and will continue to play as everyone in Brawl. The game gets boring fast if you play with just one character. Eventually, like in Melee, I'll find a character whose playstyle just gels perfectly with me, and that's who I'll claim to be my main.

I'd really like to see Midna (without wolf link) in the game and would probably spend special effort to main her if she is as cool as she has the potential to be. Same with Megaman and Crono and Geno...

(Um, you do know that the Gunstar Heroes on top aren't redesigns, but new characters, right? Red is a girl, even.)

While I'll definitely play as every character at least once, seeing as I'm a big fan of Nintendo in general, I'm gonna try and main Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Samus/Zamus, Wario, Mario, Pit, Snake and Sonic, all because I not only loved the games they were in, but I think the characters are simply awesome.

Lucario, I'm a major fanboy of. Along with Wind Waker Link, Lucario would make the game set for me. I would main them in a second, just because I loves them so, no matter if they were bottom teir or not.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
i c e c l i m b e r s

1. I love the retro game.
2. It's the only character I can beat any of my friends with.
3. I love incest.
4. Ice tread boots.
5. Mallet.
6. Clubbing seals.
7. Clubbing starfoxes.
8. I love their recovery.
9. Incest.

Dais

Smash Cadet
No matter the reason you pick somene we all play the game for the same reason, to have fun. And I just wouldn't have as much fun if it wasn't Me and Samus against the world. So put me down as a fanboy.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
First, sry for my english, i hope you understand.

I totally main'd young link because of fanboysm. I never had such emotional connection with anything else before Zelda Majoras Mask. I felt in love with the game and with the hero.

I'll never main a character that's just top tier because that's not how I play. I don't care much about winning - i never loss, anyway [there's no tourneys here in Brazil].

Of the brawl characters, i'm maining Pit. I never played his games but i like him anyway. You don't have to know someone's entire story to start adoring him, do you?

.:«Jeff»:.

Smash Rookie
This gonna sound pretty "classic", but I'm probably gonna use Mario! I'm a fan and have beaten all his side scrolling games. I'm not to much a fan of his 3-D Adventure Games like Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, ad maybe Galaxy (haven't played yet). Also I'm good with Mario on Melee and 64! I'm also looking forward to Sonic because I've played his fast-paced side scrolling games and his 3-D adventure games.

max32090

Smash Ace
im definitely maining dedede cuz i know hes gona suck and being good with a low tier character is more important than being amazing with a high tier character nowadays.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
i'm maining peach, that's a definite. i will main her ONLY beacuse of her awesomeness in melee. she was one of the best characters tier-wise and i could beat the crap out of my friends with her since she fits my playstyle perfectly. she is also easy to control in my opinion. since gimpyfish62 said she is pretty much the same, but improved, i will main her. for the record i hate peach, but love her domination in smash bros. i might try to main link since he is one of my favorite characters and i will definitely try bowser as he is my favorite character in video games. he was my original main in melee until i discovered tiers. and i loved roy, but sadly he is probably out of smash bros.

Top Bottom