• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining characters because of Fanboy/girlism or playstyle in Brawl?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I'm a Snake fanboy through and through. :-)

And well, Sonic is bad arse and I like fast characters.

Well, if Krystal's in the game, you know there's only one reason for anyone to play her! :>
Because shes good with a staff?

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
i'm gonna main snake just because of the attachment ih ave to the game.

Also i'm going to main link, because of that attachment too.

GUNSTAR HEROES WOW THAT BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES!!

IllidR

Smash Champion
You really should main someone because he's your favorite character, not just because of how he plays. If he's low tier, who cares, play through it because you have fun playing him and you'll get good. I plan to main Captain Olimar if he's in the game, no matter how bad he is. I'll work through it.

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
I'm maining Lucas, not only because the MOTHER series is WAY too under rated, but because I've always been attatched to the PSI or PK type characters.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
There is no question I will main Link. Second Kirby.

For me, my fanboyism of Link is beyond that of normal fanboyism... which probably isn't good for my health but I don't care. It's actually closer to religion. But I already have one so that is probably to only reason why I don't worship the Triforce. I've been playing LoZ games for ages upon ages. Played completely through OoT a grand total of 18 times... and that's JUST OoT. Don't get me started on other adventures.

But I'm sure none of you want to really hear that. lol.

And Kirby = win. Plus I like the Kirby games too.

rideonshootingstarxx

Smash Cadet
I mained Roy, because he was a cool Japanese swordsman, until I learned Marth was "better" and my smash skill grew to adapt to Marth and play far better as Marth, who I love equally with Roy.
In SSB64, I played Yoshi because he was familiar from Mario Kart 64.
Metaknight is my dream character, I've wanted him since 64, so I'll definitly play him no matter what. Ike is my second out of love for the FE characters (I got into Fire Emblem from Melee), and Lucas is third because I have fallen in love with his coolness. No joke.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
The first time I played Smash Bros. 64 was at a friend's house. At this time, the only character of Nintendo's that I knew was Mario (Really, who DOESN'T know him?) but I've never really cared for him. So, I decided to play as the little pink puffball Kirby, and I've mained him ever since.

EDIT: I also have to use red Kirby. Dunno why, but he has to be red.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
I mained Pikachu in the original.
I mained Mario in Melee.
I will main Pit (he sounds amazing) and Ike (he also sounds amazing) in Brawl. However, if Isaac from Golden Sun, or Bomberman got in, I would main them for fanboyism.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm maining Pit because I like Pit. Don't know why, though. Kid Icarus isn't me favorite Nintendo-owned game, Super Metroid probably is. Pit isn't my favorite Nintendo character, Link is.

I guess I just like angels :p . Guess that's why I play angels (ie: Fairy-type monsters) in Yu-Gi-Oh! now.

I mained Pikachu in the original.
I mained Mario in Melee.
I will main Pit (he sounds amazing) and Ike (he also sounds amazing) in Brawl. However, if Isaac from Golden Sun, or Bomberman got in, I would main them for fanboyism.
I mained Mario in 64, Fox in Melee, and now Pit in Brawl. Like you, if Isaac is in this game, he will be mained, but not before Pit.

I picked Mario in 64 because I always stay with the default until I find my character. In SSB, Mario turned out to be my character. Then I mained Fox for various reasons. One, Foxes were my favoirte animals back then, and two, because every other character I mastered, my friends would surpass me with them, until I learned how to use Fox. I'm still the best Fox player amongst them.

Ger-Bah

Smash Rookie
I'll be maining Lucas, from the looks of it. Played Mother 3 and beat it, and completely loved it, but I also really loved how Ness played in Melee (also I beat Earthbound, many times...). Lucas looks like he'll at least play similar, and all I really need to have him "fit" is that delicious jump that Ness had... It was just SO easy to control! So, yay? Lucky enough to get one of my favorite characters and really enjoy playing as him? Of course I'll also be using... Every other character... A lot, except for Sonic/Diddy/Donkey Kong.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
I'll start out playing characters I like because of their games, but I'll likely end up playing whatever has a good move set.

Hopefully there will be some overlap between the two.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if I've ever really mained anyone, I enjoy trying out a variety of characters depending on how I feel like playing. The closest I had (in Melee, I never played SSB64) would probably be Link, as his Spin Attack helps when there are enemies on both sides, his smash attacks are pretty strong and easy to use, and Boomerang I found to be very useful if I'm having trouble getting any hits in. Samus would be the next closest after that, as Screw Attack fulfils a similar role to Link's Spin Attack, and Charge Shot could make for a good finisher.

In Brawl I expect I'll try everyone for a while, although Pit and Diddy look particularly fun. I'm also interested to see how the Trainer's Pokemon play. If Olimar is included I expect he'll be one of my top choices, too.

Lexl5

Smash Journeyman
I mained jiggs (with manly green headband) and somewhat Ness
I think Ill be very into using Meta Knight and Lucas (along with Jiggs if shes in)

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
i main peach because i love the character.

imagine my surprise when she fits my playstyle AND she one of them tire things i hear about so much.

ATTACK ATTACK!
GET PUMMELED.
COME BACK!
no matter where you go.
no matter how you hide.
..peach will have your behind..

>:D

Twisted

Smash Cadet
Link will always be my main (or at the very least my secondary) because of fanboyism. It just happens that he fits my play style perfectly, so I do pretty good with him

HeltXL

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to main Samus because I'm a crazy fanboy of her.
I'm going to secondary pit because I am a fanboy of him, too.

Irow

Smash Ace
Superfanboy of Link. I mean... the games...

They're just way too good.

I've mained Link since 64, even though he sucked. I don't plan to stop.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
the only character I would main out of fanboyism is meowth, i main ice climbers instead

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
Mach Rider. Sakurai already stepped on my macaroni art so to speak when he killed off Mac...

If I lose Rider....

I dunno...

Metalknux

Smash Ace
I had no idea who Falco was until Melee. After playing with him, I realized I really liked his playstyle and started using him all the time. Then I actually started figuring out who he was, started buying Starfox games, and fell in love with the franchise. Now I am determined to become good with him in Brawl no matter how good/what tier he is.

For my secondaries or other mains, I'll just play as anyone who suits my playing style.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the IC are cute. I do want to be good with some characters because I like them, but in melee, I couldn't help the fact that my best character was one I'm not as interested in. (shiek)

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Link, strangely for both the fact that I am a big fan of Zelda and Link is an awesome character, but Link is also the first character I beat a lvl 9 with in melee, since then I decided to main him. So whether it's a natural thing or me just playing him more I play him because I like the character and how he plays.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Playstyle for the win. Seriously, my varying levels of fanboyism will only influence the order in which I test out the characters. How fun they are to play with and how they permit you to achieve desired results are what matter most after that point.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'm a combination of fanboyism and playstyle. Ike is from Fire Emblem, which is a game series I've recently come to enjoy, and his strategic, slow style of fighting is what I choose in most fighting games.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I believe when I first played SSB64, I started playing as Kirby because I thought he'd have a huge advantage off the stage with multiple jumps. I was partly right, but stayed away from Yoshi(despite being a Yoshi fan ever since Super Mario World) because I hated disliked what they did to Yoshi in Yoshi's Story.

So fast forward to SSBM, and I pick up Kirby.
Face goes from
:) -> :confused: -> :mad:

So after suffering numerous defeats, I found out this new Kirby wasn't for me. I played around with many other characters to see which would fit my style of play, and lo and behold wouldn't you know, I instantly loved Yoshi's style once I got to actually USE him.

I haven't turned back since. At the E4A Brawl demo the first character I used(and primarily used) was Yoshi.

On the other hand, I did pick up Marth and Jigglypuff primarily because of how they played. Marth because he has pants being the swift fluid swordfighter and Jigglypuff being what Kirby should have been.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I mained Peach all throughout Melee, simply because I liked her playstyle, so chances are I'll continue maining her in Brawl.

As far as fanboy-ness goes, I'm definitely maining Ganondorf and Pokemon Trainer, because Pokemon was the first video game I ever played and Ganondorf is just so incredibly awesome in every game he's in. :chuckle:

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
I'm gonna main Sonic not only because I'm a fanboy but of his speed

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
-Evereyone- tries whatever person they want to main because they think they're awesome. thats usualy how people get their mains. I was just lucky and picked marth. and my freinds picked roy (this was a looong time ago btw). They we're like "LOLOLOLOL NEUTRAL B SPAM" and i was doing the same (we we're all noobs) ofcourse. I lost. so eventualy we droped Smashbros. got new games ect. but when we came back. I owned them all.becuase I was older and knew that Bspaming was for losers. and easy to get around.

So really. I picked marth because I thought he looked cool. and to be diffrent than my freinds. and it worked out wonderfully.

but my secondary, Ness. I was kinda forced into. with his event match. where you haveta fight Fox Falco C. Falcon Samus and Kirby... So eventualy i got really good with him and hes not my secondary. (Soon to be replaced by Lucas?)

Alright, I was all around the map in 64 and Melee, but here is who I'm planning to main in Brawl.
*Takes deep breath* Sonic, Luigi, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Falco, Ike, Marth, Mario, Peach, and anyone else who I have time to learn their moves.
Mostly Sonic and Luigi though.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
i'm definitely going to try out link (even though I kinda dropped him in melee) due to fanboyness, aswell as metaknight just because he's so frikken awesome in Kirby: Air Ride. Probably try out Ike cuz i like marth, definitely pokemon trainer and sonic cuz they're so awesome.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I'm going to play as every character and decide who i like best. Not by tiers, but just by who i like best.

I do hope that Wario is awesome to play as, as well as Diddy, and Dedede, because those are my fanboy picks. At least out of the new characters. Link and Mario are my others.

Top Bottom