• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main Random?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Link to original post: [drupal=896]Main Random?[/drupal]

Recently I have been having people say that maining Random is an impossibility.

This is not true.

How to main Random:

Place your selector over Random. Continue to Brawl this way, including in tournaments.

_____________GROUP

Random is epic, if you feel the same way and main Random send me a Private Message. I have a group just for Random Mains.

The only rule is that we respect Mewtwo's epicness.

_____________RANT

So don't tell me I can't main Random. Especially when I go Random and beat you 9/10 tries, and I only lose because I SD'd when I missed a footstool.

You know who you are..

SuSa

It takes a lot of concentration to remember how some of the characters are played, because their not picked often enough.

When I get Peach I'm always like ".......-_-" because I get her like 1/200 games. xD

:mewtwo:

Mith_

Smash Champion
If you get used to a muscle motion with once character you tend to do it with another character as well.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Props to you.
I would probably never be able to main random, because it's a matter of the fact that there are a few characters that I would never use under any circumstance.

SuSa

If you get used to a muscle motion with once character you tend to do it with another character as well.
That never happens to me, and I adapt quickly.

It's just Peach has a very, very unique playstyle because of floating....

Ugg said:
Props to you.
I would probably never be able to main random, because it's a matter of the fact that there are a few characters that I would never use under any circumstance.
I used to feel that way about Sonic, Dk, Bowser, ROB, and Toon Link.

But I love playing as Bowser and Sonic now, and the others are sort of "meh" but I can still play them well.

Dajayman

Random is fun in friendlies, but you got balls of steel to main random. I also agree that Mewtwo is epically awesome.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think it is possible to main Random, but only after you get good enough at Brawl to use all of the characters very well. Just know that you will not be taken very seriously in tournament lol :colorful:

i love Random though, especially Random vs Random, it's really fun having no idea who you're gonna get lol. Playing the lottery...I actually have about $20 of random mms at a tourney soon.

SuSa

I main everyone and have a knack for learning and utilizing AT's at the proper times.

Also, I'm taken very seriously in tournaments after they see me using Random in friendlies and demolishing them even when I get a character like Bowser.

I put extra work on the lower tiers, and my Meta Knight is ruthless (I use him when and if there is a Loser's Bracket. I do go for a ton of fun and lulz, and to be known for Random. But I also go to make sure MK gets the Banhammer, by demolishing with him.)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
...this just sounds silly to me.

I'm sure you main random just for the attention. If you're mildly good at the game, you can just be good with all the characters. I've played Olimar about 5 times total since I got the game 9 months ago, and I'm sure I could beat plenty of people with him.

But tournament use is almost stupid. Unless it's someone you know you can beat with ease, the idea of losing because you got 2 characters you're really bad with in a row...it's worse than items!

I'd like to play you sometime, Havokk. From the look of your sig, you probably are very good and might be able to easily beat me with random. That should change my opinion on things.

SuSa

...this just sounds silly to me.

I'm sure you main random just for the attention. If you're mildly good at the game, you can just be good with all the characters. I've played Olimar about 5 times total since I got the game 9 months ago, and I'm sure I could beat plenty of people with him.

But tournament use is almost stupid. Unless it's someone you know you can beat with ease, the idea of losing because you got 2 characters you're really bad with in a row...it's worse than items!

I'd like to play you sometime, Havokk. From the look of your sig, you probably are very good and might be able to easily beat me with random. That should change my opinion on things.
I play from 3-5pm PMT (new limits because I used to play like 12-14 hours a day, I ASKED FOR THESE LIMITS...)

Also, I go random until I'm in losers bracket. I do it a lot for the attention, I want to be known as the guy who wins tournaments with Random, and I may do it in losers bracket as well.

There is not a single character that I'm "really bad" with, but there are characters that are bad but I can get past that.

I've won with Bowser, Ganon, Falcon, Link, and Jigglypuff. To me there is no such thing as a bad character, just a bad playstyle.

It also gives you the upperhand because you REALLY know the matchup vs the top Tiers (what most people play in tourney) so using a Low tier, for a match you have the advantage of matchup experience.

You also have the advantage of not being able to be counterpicked. They cannot outright counterpick a stage or character against you. Sure, you can't counterpick them either, but I don't counterpick anyways. It's always Battlefield/Smashville for me because I can play well with any character on those two stages.

Mith_

Smash Champion
You also have the advantage of not being able to be counterpicked. They cannot outright counterpick a stage or character against you. Sure, you can't counterpick them either, but I don't counterpick anyways. It's always Battlefield/Smashville for me because I can play well with any character on those two stages.

That's the main thing about random. You can't be counterpicked.

But also:

Your opponent can pick Dedede.
You pick random and get Donkey Kong.
On Final Destination.

KEK.

SuSa

That's the main thing about random. You can't be counterpicked.

But also:

Your opponent can pick Dedede.
You pick random and get Donkey Kong.
On Final Destination.

KEK.
Or I could get Mario/Weegee/Samus/Bowser.

Not just DK.

And even then it's not unwinnable, especially for Samus and Bowser.

Samus can ultra-camp which is a ***** (I beat my friends D3 and G&W both with 0-3% on my first stock (no deaths) by ultra-cmaping like a *****)

Bowser can Bowsercide if I get the port I want.

There's always the chance he'll mess up ( I hope, but it can be doubtful... )

Mith_

Smash Champion
I don't count Samus because of what you said. I'd do the same thing in your situation. So many projectiles and Zair, she can actually not get grabbed :laugh:

As for Mario/Luigi. They could hold their own but they will eventually get grabbed. Dedede's arm is about the length of Mario 0.o And I don't think he can infinite Luigi unless its against a wall, I can't remember.

Bowser doesn't stand a chance against D3. Lol @ Bowsercide.

SuSa

Just Grab Release Bowsercide all 3 stocks. roflz (I'm totally kidding... try to kill him once, then do this)

Samus can actually not get grabbed, I agree with you.

Luigi doesn't need a wall.

Mario and Luigi are pretty ****ed over by it.

I find Luigi harder then Mario to infinite.

I can infinite as well.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Well Havokk this is all assuming your opponent is a ***got and likes to infinite (CG doesn't count). Otherwise you should have no problem. Without the infinite Mario has the advantage imo :p

SuSa

Without the CG Mario has an advantage.

Without the infinite, 65/45 D3 IMO (Cape Gimps are easy <3)

And this is all assuming your opponents wants the easy win, doesn't care for their reputation as a player (Plank plays to win, his reputation with many people is absolute **** because of the ledge stalling stuff)

And then its assuming they practice it enough and don't mess up.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I've never minded D3's Chaingrab. It's **** but....I dunno. CGing won't make me think less of you. Infinites will though :p.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I refuse to infinite unless I'm the IC's.

Because I actually care for my reputation, and I'd rathers lose and say GG then win and have someone hate me.

Main Falcon and you can have both of those at once.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I wish I could main random, but everytime I play Link or Ganon or something, I'm reminded of how much better Snake and MK are, and I just keep playing them instead :)

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Havokk, if you ever make your way to EC, I want to random ditto you for a while. I have a similar philosophy on the game as you. I just don't use MK...

Nic64

Smash Lord
I wish I could main random, but everytime I play Link or Ganon or something, I'm reminded of how much better Snake and MK are, and I just keep playing them instead
I do better with ganondorf sometimes than my higher tier mains and then I get all hateful with myself because I assume that means I suck with said high tier characters <_<

I always try to play like 15 characters or maybe a few more regularly but I couldn't play all of them x_x plus some of them I just really don't like lol

SuSa

Havokk, if you ever make your way to EC, I want to random ditto you for a while. I have a similar philosophy on the game as you. I just don't use MK...
I use MK to prove he's broken enough to win when I don't even main him. (That or the AV Smash scene sucks, which they don't)

I do better with ganondorf sometimes than my higher tier mains and then I get all hateful with myself because I assume that means I suck with said high tier characters <_<

I always try to play like 15 characters or maybe a few more regularly but I couldn't play all of them x_x plus some of them I just really don't like lol
I dislike Wario, but he's alright....

My Falcon >>> Everyone else in Brawl+

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
I got a White Peach on first try of random. XD

I think the "random corner" in Melee was better than the Button, though.

Oh, almost forgot.

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
so couldn't random be on the tier list?

i mean like if you main random then you have a chance to play as mk,snake,d3
and if you main a **** char that'll prolly lose any way (lets say) capt falcon

then

random < capt falcon ??

does anyone else get me or am i just crazy?

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
Yes it's almost like the bottom half of the tier list vs. the top half. You randomly have a chance to get any character. So really it could be really good or really bad. I guess whatever character it picked would then be that tier character.... So no I don't think random could be on the tier list.

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
I main everyone and have a knack for learning and utilizing AT's at the proper times.

Also, I'm taken very seriously in tournaments after they see me using Random in friendlies and demolishing them even when I get a character like Bowser.

I put extra work on the lower tiers, and my Meta Knight is ruthless (I use him when and if there is a Loser's Bracket. I do go for a ton of fun and lulz, and to be known for Random. But I also go to make sure MK gets the Banhammer, by demolishing with him.)

There are no A-T's in brawl.... Read my sig...:chuckle:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'm trying to main random too! I'm currently up to 14 characters that I can use confidently in tournament with 6 more that are almost there. I'm getting there. :)

Top Bottom