• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic: The Gathering and Commander (EDH)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So last night I noticed something about my Myr tribal deck. Or rather, about 2 cards in particular
[Palladium Myr]
[Myr Galvanizer]

Both of these were 4-of's in my deck. By the time I got to at least 1 Palladium Myr (PM) and 2 Myr Galvanizers (MG) I learned something.

Assuming you have the 3 mana to get them out, you can:
-Tap PM for +2 mana = 5 mana
-Tap MG for -1 = 4
-Tap the PM again for +2 = 6
-Tap the 2nd MG for -1 = 5
-Tap the PM again for +2 = 7 and so on and so forth.

Infinite colorless mana :D
Nice. But:
  • How do you get two Galvanizers out in the first place?
  • What do you do with the infinite colorless mana?
  • How do you get around Null Rod/Damping Matrix/Pithing Needle/etc.?

Now fortunately there are actually a bunch of outs to this. Idk what your deck looks like, but here's what I would build if I were you.

1 Academy Ruins
3 Adarkar Wastes
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Darksteel Citadel
2 Island
2 Seachrome Coast
4 Underground River

1 Gold Myr
1 Leaden Myr
4 Silver Myr
1 Alloy Myr
4 Myr Galvanizer
4 Palladium Myr
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Myr Battlesphere

4 Inquisition of Kolizek
4 Origin Spellbomb
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
4 Thoughtcast

This deck is Modern legal with no fetchlands or Ravnica duals.

So the main combo here is to get two Galvanizers and multiple mana myrs out, get a ton of mana and then use Blue Sun's Zenith for the kill. Failing that, you use the mana to draw as much of the deck as you can, dump your hand, and hopefully have a Myr Battlesphere out to attack with next turn along with 10+ Myr. By having 2 or more mana myr out at the same time, you can get infinite mana of whatever color you desire, which will allow you to easily pay for your spells. Originally I had in mind a kill that used Treasure Mage, Myr Incubator, and Akroma's Memorial, but it proved ridiculously hard to pull off due to all the parts required. I decided to put in Blue Sun's Zenith to help with drawing cards during the combo but then I realized that it would probably just be better to kill with Blue Sun's Zenith. Failing the BSZ approach, you can always just draw lots of cards with T4K and Thoughtcast and then use Metamorph to copy Battlesphere and kill with either a huge Battlesphere activation or Tezzeret's ultimate. Metamorph is essential in this deck as it can copy whatever part of your combo you need - Galvanizer or win condition. Tezzeret is incredible in this deck, as he gives you a free Impulse every turn and his ultimate (which is pretty cheap) can be used to kill the opponent. Aside from Tezz, your draw suite is a bit lacking to be honest, but Ponder and Preordain are banned so there's not much else you can do. I decided to go with Thoughtcast over Sleight of Hand or Serum Visions because you can get enough artifacts in play to cast it on turn 3 fairly consistently (though not always for 1 mana). Kolizek's Inquisition is in the deck as an early play and as a way to get rid of anything that your opponent can do to threaten you early on, be it instant speed shenanigans, artifacts like Damping Matrix, or creatures like Kataki, War's Wage.

So yeah, try that out and let me know how it works.

Oh, and be sure to use the original Mirrodin myr when you can. The new art for the mana myr looks like crap imo.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
How do you get two Galvanizers out in the first place?
?... idk they're 4-of's, and it happens eventually lol

My main squeeze with the deck I was using was getting a Myr Turbine out, and once I had 5 myrs, tap them to put a Battlesphere on the field, voltaic key the turbine (I know that's not standard, but this was just casual anyway) and do it again by tapping the battlesphere and the 4 tokens that come into play. And depending on how many keys or turbines you happen to have, you could get out every battlesphere in your deck. Last night I had 3, and could have gotten 3 out, thus 15 creatures in one turn, plus the boost from galvanizers and tempered steel and the game doesn't last much longer than that.

Then again, like I said, it was a casual setting and I do not assume that tactic is the greatest thing since sliced bread

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Since return to Ravnica is coming out soon, wizards put a guild quiz up.

I got Boros followed by all of the other white related guilds.

:phone:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I got Azorius followed by Boros, Izzet, and Simic. Not too surprising, I kinda figured I wouldn't get any of the black, green, or red guilds.

Bing

Smash Master
Hey guys so I just recently began playing Magic. Its been about a month since I started playing and two weeks since I decided I wanted to actually make a good deck and possibly enter tournaments. This is what I have so far. Its an Angel deck.White/Blue based.

Angel's Tomb x2 - When creature enters the battlefield. Add a 3/3 White Angel Artifact with Flying until the end of turn. Cost is 3.
Ocular Halo - Enchantment - Creature has Tap to draw card. Tap Plains to add vigilance until end of turn. Cost 3+ 1 Island.
Sleep - Tap all creatures target player controls. Creatures dont become untapped during next untap phase - 2 Islands 2 other Sorcery
Mind Control - You Control Enchanted Creature. 2 Islands 3 other
Defy Death x2 - Return target creature from graveyard to battlefield. If Angel add 2 +1/+1 Counters. Cost is 2 Plains 3 other Sorcery
Repel Of Darkness - Tap 2 target creatures. Draw a card. 1 plains 2 other.Instant.
Divination x2 - Draw 2 Cards. 1 Island 2 others. Sorcery
Pacifism x2 - Enchanted creature cant block or attack. 1 plains 1 other.
Iona's Judgement - Exile Target Creature - 1 plains 4 other.
Conqueror's Pledge - Put 6 1/1 Kor solider tokens onto the field. Kicker(6) Put twelve instead. 3 plains 2 other Sorcery
Unsummon - Instant. Unsummon target creature 1 Island
Cancel x2 - Counter target Spell - 2 island 1 other. Instant
Defang x2 - Prevent all damage that would be done by target creature. 1 plains 1 other
Builder's Blessing - Untapped creatured you control get +0/+2 1 plains 3 other
Tidings - Draw 4 cards - 2 islands 3 other.
Scoll of Avacyn - Sacrifice Scoll draw a card. If you control an angel, gain 5 life. 1 mana
Deprive x2 - Counter target Spell. 2 Island and return 1 mana you control to owners hand. Instant
Essence Scatter - Counter target creature Spell. 1 island 1 other. Instant
Seance - At the beginning of each upkeep, you may exile target creature from graveyard to put a token of that exact creature with Spirit as an additional type. Remove at next end step. Enchantment. 2 plains 2 other
Bladed Bracers - Adds +1/+1. If Human or Angel add vigilance. 1 to play. 2 to equip
Angel's Mercy - Gain 7 life. 2 plains 2 other
Infinite Reflection - Every other non-token creature you control becomes an exact copy of enchanted creature 1 island 5 others.

Bruna, Light of Alabaster - Flying, vigilance
Whenever Bruna, Light of Alabaster attacks or blocks, you may attach to it any number of Auras on the battlefield and you may put onto the battlefield attached to it any number of Aura cards that could enchant it from your graveyard and/or hand. 5/5 2 plains 1 island 3 other
Pathrazer of Ulamog 9/9 Annihilator 3. Cant be blocked except by 3 or more creatures.
ArchAngel - 5/5 Flying Vigilence 2 plains 5 other
Emancipation Angel X2 - 3/3 Flying. When enters the battlefield, return target permanent you control to owners hand. 2 Plains 1 other 3/3
Aether Figment - Unblockable Kicker (3) add 2 1/1 counters. 1 Island 1 other.
Angelic Wall x2 Defend, Flying 1 plains 1 other 0/4
SilverBlade Paladin - Soulbond. Both creatures gets doublestrike 2 plains 1 other 2/2
Angel of Glory's Rise - Flying - When enters the battlefield, exile all Zombies and return all humans to the battlefield. 2 Plains 5 other 4/6
Gideon's Lawkeep x2 - Tap plains and Gideon. Tap target creature.1 plains. 1/1
Cathedral Sanctifier x2 When enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life. 1 plains. 1/1
Voice of the Provinces Flying - When enters the battlefield,you get a 1/1 white human token. 3/3 2 plains 4 other
Herald Of War Flying - When attacks place a +1/+1 counter on Herald of War. Human and Angel spells cost 1 less to play for each counter. 3/3 2 plains 3 other
Seraph of Dawn x2 - Flying, Lifelink 2/4 2 plains 2 other
Angel of Flight Alabaster Flying, return target spirit from graveyard to hand at upkeep. 4/4 1 plains 4 other
Goldnight Redeemer - Flying - When enters the battlefield you gain 2 life for each creature you control. 4/4 2 plains 4 other

Mana
12 Islands
13 Plains
1 Jwar Isle Refuge tap to add one swamp or one island to mana pool. Gain 1 life when this is played. Comes into play tapped.
1 Seraph Sanctuary tap to add one mana to pool. Gain one life when played. Gain one life when an angel is played.

So any thoughts?

genhutalla

Smash Rookie
This sounds new to me. I'll check more about this game online and see if the feedback of the game is good.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hey Bing, you don't have to type out all the effects. We can look them up. ^_^

Anyway before I start critiquing your deck, what format are you going for? I'm guessing not standard?

Bing

Smash Master
Well I typed out the effects for two reasons.

1. It took up time at work :p
2. Save you all time in the hopes that people would actually critique it.

I honestly dont know when it comes to format..I never really thought about it. 90% of deck is from the 2013 Core Set. The rest are 2010. And theres a few randoms that I picked up at card shops. So I'm pretty sure I'd fall into the extended category.

Sorry like I said, just started playing a month and a half ago :p

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I started getting into MtG early August, and it's pretty great. I've been thinking all day about using a Rakdos ramp deck once Return to Ravnica is released, and I *think* I've devised a (highly improbably) turn 4 victory situation.

Turn 1: Overgrown Tomb, tap for Avacyn's Pilgrim.
Turn 2: Dragonskull Summit, tap all for Fervor.
Turn 3: Swamp, bring out Somberwald Sage, tap her to bring out a second Somberwald Sage.
Turn 4: Cast Bump in the Night on an opponent, bring out Rakdos, Lord of Riots followed by Thundermaw Hellkite (taps any fliers that could block) and Desecration Demon. Swing with all of 'em for 17 points of damage which, after adding the damage from Bump in the Night, becomes a full 20, 21 if Avacyn's Pilgrim decides to join the party.

Of course this is under absolute ideal conditions, but hey, it's legal in standard. :3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I'm necroing this thread. Magic is 20 years old this year after all.

So how about that Bloodbraid Elf ban in modern? I say it's about damn time. I've never liked decks that just take the best cards in the format and throw them all together and call it a day with little to no regard to synergy beyond deciding where your mana curve should end. Jund probably isn't the best example of that, but it's by far the most successful of those types of decks and I'm glad to see it gone. Good riddance.

Yes I played Ravager Affinity when it was in Standard. No it's not the same. Affinity ran a lot of incredibly good cards like Arcbound Ravager, Disciple of the Vault, Cranial Plating, Skullclamp, etc. but for every good card it ran it also had to run crappy cards like Arcbound Worker and Frogmite. Jund does not run a single bad card. The closest it comes is Inquisition of Kozilek, which works really well in the deck since repeated use of Thoughtseize would wear it down too much.

Too bad they also had to ban Seething Song, a card that really wasn't having any impact on the format. I had no idea they cared about the online metagame so much. They said that a turn 3 win went against the DCI's "goals of the format", but when did they state those goals and what are they? Is their goal to make the format as slow and boring as possible without slowing it down to Standard speed? Cause they're doing a bang-up job of that. At least we won't have any more Turn 3 wins in the format aside from all those other decks that can get turn 3 kills like Eggs, Scapeshift, that Elemental Combo deck that was at the Pro Tour which nobody besides me remembers, and fast aggro decks like Affinity. And weren't Goblin Electromancer and Past in Flames bigger facilitators for Storm anyway?

Speaking of Eggs, I'm kind of surprised they didn't ban Lotus Bloom since everyone seems to be really annoyed by how long it takes for Eggs to combo off. Going to time is apparently a big problem with the deck, and a lot of times when that happens Wizards decides to intervene - that's why they banned Shahrazad in Vintage and Legacy. Well who knows.

So how bout that Gatecrash?

D

Deleted member

I think the banning of BBE solidified Modern as a joke format. You also forgot Infect on the turn 3 kills list.

Gatecrash looks pretty boring to me. Nothing really catches me anyway.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You also forgot Infect on the turn 3 kills list.
It's pretty ironic that I forgot it since the only way Affinity can kill on turn 3 is with Blinkmoth Nexus.

The only thing that really jumped out on me from Gatecrash is the two new Hermit Druids they printed, and all it really means is that we'll see some janky Vintage decks that people will play for a while before they realize that they're too inconsistent to be good.

Battalion looks like a fun Limited mechanic but I don't see it being used much in any constructed format, if at all.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I really dislike the new abilities in Gatecrash. They seem pointless besides the three creatures attacking thing.

Evolve is an amazing mechanic for limited. It's situational, like Batallion; only as good as the effect that it brings. Imagine if Fathom Mage was printed at a single U/G casting cost. The Evolve mechanic in this sense would look amazing.

As a control player, Extort looks incredibly awesome on non-creature permanents. I'm pretty excited to play with it.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
A difference of 2 life just doesn't sound that good. As a player who only plays standard I don't know how these new cards would do in limited.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
As a control player...
I thought you were most successful with Zombies?

A difference of 2 life just doesn't sound that good. As a player who only plays standard I don't know how these new cards would do in limited.

You should play Limited. Some of the most fun times I've ever had playing Magic is from drafting with friends.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Ya, I live near a store with Magic tourneys every Friday (Standard). They do pre releases and I won the Innistrad pre release and got 20 packs. 40 players entered the pre release. Then I quit pre releases since I won. I always win drafts. Lately in drafts I've won the new Jace, foil Detention Sphere, and that flying exile 3 card.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Where do you live that only 40 people entered the prerelease? In MI there's always 200+ throughout the day.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ah, I see. Yeah, 140 over a one day period sounds more normal for a prerelease.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I thought you were most successful with Zombies?
I played zombies once, and that was back when you could run 8 clones and 4 messengers. I decided to play aggro at a 10 round swiss event cause of how fast the games would go and how powerful I thought the deck was.

I much prefer the side of a control player, just feels more natural to me. I can play whatever comfortably, but control sits best. Combo also excites me to no end :) That's how I snagged my victory to Barcelona and a recent top 8 at another ptq. Then again... modern is all about combo, and Standard is currently everything else.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Why's this thread kind of dead

Anyone here play EDH? I've got a pretty great Riku deck that I've slowly built this year.
Got a g/b sisters of stone death deck

anyway, I've always wanted to build a blue water deck, any suggestion

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Mono-blue Control/draw/ramp deck with Arcanis the Omipotent.

I just got into Magic fairly recently, and it has been the first EDH deck I've made. So far, it's 6-0 :)

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
So, I have been playing MtG since Alara block and have been competitive with since I started playing. At the moment I have just been playing standard mostly (haven't played since before the M14 release.) Playing either Junk Reanimator or Mono Red. I also enjoy drafting quite a bit and will be drafting a ton of M14 since core sets are my favorite to draft.

I also enjoy cubing as I own a half proxied Powered cube which can be found here: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/265 (I don't have the proxies listed but just so you get the idea of how fun it is to draft that.)

If anyone is interested in theory crafting a competitive list for standard shoot me a pm or post here and I will definitely help you out! :)

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I forgot to mention that I am working on a multiplayer Ghave edh deck. I really enjoy his versatility as a general and the fact that he can work in a multitude of different decks (stax, combo, tokens.)

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I'll be getting these for sure.

Bant sliver: http://deckstats.net/decks/3958/21055-bant-sliver/en
Astral slide: http://deckstats.net/decks/3958/16135-wg-slide/en

I wanted to do some sort of fairy tribal doo-dad, but Bitterblossom still costs like $20, so no. Maybe I'll just make a nice storm deck. :3
Sad thing about Bitterblossom is that it's still banned in Modern and doesn't really see too much play in legacy. Although I have one for my cube (traded for it a long time ago) I wouldn't suggest picking them up.

Fairy's in general are kind of expensive.

I wouldn't really suggest storm in casual format. I used to have a casual storm deck that no one like to play against because it is very non interactive. It's pretty much playing single player magic especially against casuals.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Of course no one likes to play against storm, haha.

I only play casually, and most of friends play Standard anyway. I don't like Standard, so I just build what I like (read: can afford).

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys ever use TappedOut.net? I find that as a great source for ideas and a great place to post MY decks.

I actually have my Turn 1 Win Deck Series on there.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Yeah I used Tapped out when gold fishing combo decks seeing how my curve is in a R/x aggro deck.

Top Bottom