• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic: The Gathering and Commander (EDH)

Raylin

Smash Rookie
Does anyone here happen to play Magic and own an EDH deck? I'd love to hear your crazy experiences and your taste in Generals. Mine are currently:

*Omnath, Locus of Mana - He was my first.
*Wrexial, The Risen Deep - He copies everything and steals everything.
*Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker - My most recent deck under construction. Almost ready at this point.

What say you?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Is this a generic MTG thread too? I can't find one, and funnily enough, I was about to make one before I saw this.

Anyway, I'm gonna crack open a NPH box tomorrow or Thursday! I'm really excited.

I'm also getting the cards for my RG Eldrazi as well.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I use to play a lot of EDH and one my favorites was Sen Triplets as my general.

But my favorite moment was a group of 8 of us did a $10 EDH tournament. I won the tournament with the following decklist

General - Ashling the Pilgrim
99x Mountains.

This was when EDH was starting to get popular in my area and a friend of mine told me to build that deck. It was hilarious and the group wasn't too happy. Obviously it doesn't work that well now but at the time it was funny.

I am about to try out my new RDW for Standard on Friday. I need to raise my DCI rating again because I went to a Nationals Qualifier a few weeks ago and it took my total rating from 1780 to 1720 because I had the worst luck ever. (Even in the draft I did afterwards, my opponent had a really good deck and he ended up winning the entire thing but that lowered my rating as well.)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, it's like two years old, I don't think it matters.

I've heard that, but I haven't really kept up with Magic. I was unimpressed with the Lorwyn set, then Shadowmoor almost sucked me back in, but no.

Deiyn

Smash Rookie
At the moment I am unimpressed with Mirroden/New Phyrexia, but I am more than stoked about the Commander pre-constructs coming out.

Right now i'm running a Tolsimir Wolfblood G/W mid-rangy kind of thing that has multiple win conditions and packs so much lifegain that I can fish out a Felidar Sovereign ftw.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about getting into magic for the first time since 7th edition. A friend suggested I purchase an event deck and build from there if my interest continues to grow. My research indicates this would be a good idea, but I know nothing about the current metagame. Also, I am definitely on a budget.

And are poison decks as good as they look? 10 poison counters=game? None of those kinds of things were around when I played last.

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about getting into magic for the first time since 7th edition. A friend suggested I purchase an event deck and build from there if my interest continues to grow. My research indicates this would be a good idea, but I know nothing about the current metagame. Also, I am definitely on a budget.

And are poison decks as good as they look? 10 poison counters=game? None of those kinds of things were around when I played last.
It's probably not a great time to get into the game if you're on a budget. The past two years, the game been crazy expensive for type 2. After Zendikar rotates (about 4 months), I think you should be able to play budget and do decently well, or even still buy things outright. the core set duals are dirt cheap, as are the ones from the current block. Also, most of the planeswalkers that are left will have been reprinted at least once.

Casual, EDH, and limited are always good in the mean time.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Cool, thanks for the heads up, cheaper is better. Duels are those two-pack premade decks, correct? What is it about that specific block that is making everything so expensive?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
He meant duals as in dual lands, haha.

The main problem with Zendikar is Stoneforge Mystic (15-20 right now), and Jace the Mind Sculptor (70-85), which are both needed as 4 of's in the most dominant deck right now.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
He meant duals as in dual lands, haha.

The main problem with Zendikar is Stoneforge Mystic (15-20 right now), and Jace the Mind Sculptor (70-85), which are both needed as 4 of's in the most dominant deck right now.
lol, I'm pretty noob. :D At any rate, I know 2 stoneforge mystics come in an event deck which is 30 for the whole deck. But yeah, no way I'm spending $250 on four cards.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Stoneforges being reprinted has decreased the price, but a LOT of gaming stores are really marking up prices like crazy for that deck. :/

I opened my New Phyrexia booster box packs today! Since I split the cost with a friend, I got 18 packs.

I'll post any noteworthy aquisitions later.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
There are 4 stores in my local area and the one I go to is really cool. They try their best to keep prices as low as online. And anytime they are open (and often when they aren't) you can just walk in and there will be people in the back room playing different card games. It's really nice.

I ended up getting both new event decks because a friend had some extra store credit he threw at me (man is a saint). Even though the green cost $25 and and the white was $30, I play-tested them with a random at the store and whoever used the green won every time. We played I think 6 games. I'll probably build off of that one.

DZLE

Smash Master
Helllll yes I play EDH.

Well I play everything from Legacy to Standard competitively, but EDH is my super favorite format.

Current Tier 1 (my opinion, just decks i've tuned to a T) decks:
Rhys the Redeemed
Sharuum the Hegemon
Thraximundar
Rafiq of the Many (Voltron)

Multiplayer Shenanigans:
Jhoira of the Ghitu
Niv-Mizzet

1v1 under construction:
Kaalia of the Vast
Godo, Bandit Warlord (Voltron build)

Haha, as you can see mtg is a big part of my life. :3

I work for Delta Airlines so I get to fly out of state for ptq's gp's and the like a lot.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I have a friend who is going to let me borrow one of his EDH decks for the league next week. Anybody know a good site for basic rules/strategies? I've never played this version.

DZLE

Smash Master
I was taught the rules in person (plus it seems the rules vary so slightly from playgroup to playgroup, league to league), but if you want to see a database of decklists and generals, go here:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=152979

That'll show you some great lists people have put together for some great generals, as well as combo utilization, card choices, and reasoning.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Time for my pull list! ^_^

Karn
Jin-Gitaxias
Vorinclex
Spellskite
Mental Misstep
Phyrexian Metamorph
Myr Superion

And a bunch of other stuff. My friend pulled Batterskull and Obliterator, so I don't know who got better pulls, haha.

DZLE

Smash Master
Time for my pull list! ^_^

Karn
Jin-Gitaxias
Vorinclex
Spellskite
Mental Misstep
Phyrexian Metamorph
Myr Superion

And a bunch of other stuff. My friend pulled Batterskull and Obliterator, so I don't know who got better pulls, haha.
Solid Pulls. You got the Jin-Karn-Oblit mapped box, I see. Batterskull is definitely another sweet mythic to pull. I opened a couple boxes and got similar pulls from one and bunk from the other, 2 karns out of it though as well as a foil misstep ^^

Myr Superion is seeing a lot of play around here in birthing pod toolbox decks, they are all so different and cool :3 he's a beating. I play mono-green control atm though ^-^

RATED

Smash Lord
I been interested in MTG since a long time, I know a place where they play it ( a card store) so that I will try to go there after I finish my summer classes.

cutter

Smash Champion
I am a big MTG player, so here's what's up:

First, ****s getting banned on June 20th. Aaron Forsythe tweeted something a bit ago comparing the current Standard format to that of the Affinity era (the last time cards got banned in Standard). Stoneforge Mystic and Jace going down the drain. Book it.

Second, I loooooove commander. I have four different decks in decreasing competitiveness: Captain Sisay, Sakashima, Geth, and Godo. I'm hoping to build a fifth deck for Commander especially with all the new stuff coming out in the Commander decks.

@ Werekill: I didn't know you were on MTG Salvation! I go there all the time lol... I'm Surging Chaos over there.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm not a much fan of commander when people play combo.

I play MTG competitively in some form in almost every format, except Vintage.

Standard: G/B/W mid range
Extended: Bant
Legacy: Boros/Bant
SOM Block: Big Red

DZLE

Smash Master
Added you on MTGS Werekill :) Loving that deck, it looks really fun.

As for my decks (other than EDH ones since i already posted them)

Standard: Mono Green Control
ITW: RUG - Twin

Extended: Persistent Melira

Legacy: ThopterSword CounterTop

SOM Block: U/W Bounce

Violence

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure nothing is getting banned on the 20th.

I've been playing GB Pod lately, and it's pretty sick. I just have to flesh it out and make it more consistent.

Phyrexian Metamorph is my favorite thing forever.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I actually think that Stoneforge is getting banned. It's warping the metagame to the point where a ton of decks, like Phyrexian Soul Sisters, needs to run it in order to play at a competitive level, and at that point, it's pretty much Caw Blade without blue. :/

And yes DZLE, that's a fun combo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Jace should really be banned, imo more than stoneforge.

He is warping the format far more, plus I think when someone looked at his statistics he was being used around 81% of decks at GPs post NPH. Which is pretty disgusting.

Smash Master
I don't like the usage argument because ban Preordain. I think the whole caw-blade deck is a problem, but not any of its parts. Jace is beatable by midrange, sword is beatable by artifact removal. Stoneforge is beatable with low-cost creature removal, Batterskull is beatable by going over the top. It just you can't do all of those things together with nearly the consistency caw can get its engine going.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Not conclusive if they banned anything or not, but they have it written up and are waiting to post it at the start of the 20th.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I don't like the usage argument because ban Preordain. I think the whole caw-blade deck is a problem, but not any of its parts. Jace is beatable by midrange, sword is beatable by artifact removal. Stoneforge is beatable with low-cost creature removal, Batterskull is beatable by going over the top. It just you can't do all of those things together with nearly the consistency caw can get its engine going.
Sure, I agree that usage shouldn't be an argument, but when decks have to become essentially Caw Blade in order to be decent (phurexian soul sisters) by adding a stoneforge package, somethings wrong.

And if we could just say "oh, it dies to removal," then affinity would never have been so dominant. I say ban the engine that makes Caw so good: Stoneforge. Without it, Caw can't cheat out a batterskull on turn 3 or even get their equipment so consistently.

Smash Master
Nah, because that same engine isn't as good with Red accompanying it (or green, or black). If I were dictator of M:tG, I'd say "you can only have 4 total Jaces and Stoneforges in your 75."

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Played EDH with some guys who had collectively bought all of the pre-constructed decks and were trying them out. It was rather enjoyable, I like EDH.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/148

Announcement Date: June 20, 2011
Effective Date: July 1, 2011
Magic Online Effective Date: June 29, 2011

Standard
Jace, the Mind Sculptor is banned.
Stoneforge Mystic is banned.

Exception: The deck list for the "War of Attrition" Event Deck will be legal in Standard if kept completely intact. That deck, which went on sale on June 10, contains two copies of Stoneforge Mystic.

On Magic Online, Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic will both be banned in Standard as of the June 29, 2011 downtime. There will be no exceptions made for the Event Deck containing Stoneforge Mystic, as that deck will not be sold online.

Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed, Extended, Legacy, Vintage
No changes

Have fun.

Top Bottom