• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic: The Gathering and Commander (EDH)

Smash Master
Heh, magic players really like banning stuff. Red Ryu knows what's up

DZLE

Smash Master
They do? Lol nothing been banned since standard affinity o.o

Although I don't really care either way if they got banned now or just waited to rotate, i for one personally think FNM will be more fun these next few months.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I went to my 2nd competitive experience with my mono green infect deck. (Aggro, focuses on speed) (Wednesday night magic, 13 entrants) This time I had a full set of inkmoths and such, so it was first time my deck could really be competitive. I went 2-2 beating two vampire decks (2-1 and 2-0) and losing to a borros and caw blade (0-2 and 1-2 respectively). I had no idea competitive magic was so stressful. It was a good experience, and I plan to keep on entering and such (our card shop has a $5 entry and you get a free pack for entry... and winner got like 4-5 packs as a prize) but I'll probably have to stick to one tourney per week.

DZLE

Smash Master
Just keep at it Faith. It can be frustrating but you just have to get used to it. It's even more nerve racking when you're 7-1-1 trying to cut to D2 at a GP.

If you have any questions about deck tweaks or anything, i'd be happy to help you out.

I think with the proper boarding techniques any deck can win any match, given the proper circumstances.

It may seem stupid, but, that's just how it is.

Smash Master
I agree. There's so much variance in magic that basically anyone can win if they get lucky that day. Although personally I think the hardest matchups in the game are these super aggro decks like Kuldotha against a normal aggro deck like Goblins, because Goblins gets to be a control deck with 2 mana cards, lol. That's why I'd personally shy away from aggro infect, but if you like it then it sounds like a plan.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I went to my 2nd competitive experience with my mono green infect deck. (Aggro, focuses on speed) (Wednesday night magic, 13 entrants) This time I had a full set of inkmoths and such, so it was first time my deck could really be competitive. I went 2-2 beating two vampire decks (2-1 and 2-0) and losing to a borros and caw blade (0-2 and 1-2 respectively). I had no idea competitive magic was so stressful. It was a good experience, and I plan to keep on entering and such (our card shop has a $5 entry and you get a free pack for entry... and winner got like 4-5 packs as a prize) but I'll probably have to stick to one tourney per week.
Well, after this weekend Caw Blade will be virtually non-existent, so that should be good news for you, haha.

I'm gonna try to go to my first tourney tomorrow. I don't like Standard much, so I'll be running my cheapo RG Eldrazi.

DZLE

Smash Master
With Caw-blade disappearing and my LGS filling back up for FNM, i've put together my RUG Toolbox deck. Jace was big in RUG, but i'm focusing more on a toolbox sort of deck. Sea Gate Oracle isnt played enough and it's such a good card. Also, casting a Trinket Mage for a B-collar then equipping up an Inferno Titan is so satisfying. But, if the titans die, i still get to collar up a Sparkmage :3

It's doing ok so far. Needs more testing, only been to one tournament with it thus far.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Thanks. I'm not really discouraged, I'm glad to go 2-2 considering what others paid for their decks vs what I paid for mine. DZLE should I post here for deck advice or pm you? Also, are evolving wilds decent replacements for people who don't want to pay the $45 for a set of sac-lands?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
:D

MTG? Old school player here.

*subscribes.*

Does anybody like that Duel of the Planeswalker game available for consoles/PC? I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to get back into the game and I was wondering if that foot the bill.

Smooth Criminal

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If you have a ps3 and that free ps+, I think that you can still get the first one for free.

I suppose that it's fun, but I hate the fact that you can't really customize your deck too much.

If you're going for a really cheap way to get back into MTG, try MWS or Lackey. They're both free, and you can play with whatever cards you want.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Thanks, Werekill. I think I'll try those. I tinkered around with the Apprentice program for MTG years ago and I wasn't a big fan. Good to see there are others out there.

Do you happen to have either of those programs? Maybe we can set a game up sometime.

Smooth Criminal

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I just really wanted to make my deck smaller. I'd be sticking them in my infect deck. (i don't have the cards for multiple decent decks at this point)

DZLE

Smash Master
Pm or vm me anytime faith :) id love to help you in any way I can.

As for evolving wilds and expanses being good replacements, they can be. It depends on your mana curve as well as the tempo of your deck. If it stops you from making tempo plays or valuable plays because it enters tapped, it is not right for your deck.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Really though, in a Mono G infect, it has no place there. You already have mono color, which means that fetches are generally unnecessary, and it'll wreck your tempo. Mono G infect really needs to be blisteringly fast in order to be decent.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Just bought a single booster pack.

Pulled a Misstep, a Sheoldred, Whispering One, and a foil Psychic Barrier.

I did a little dance in the store. :)

DZLE

Smash Master
Good pulls :)
Also, fetches are nice in any deck because they thin it out and statistically make your draws better. But as is, the tapped sac lands do not help in a mono colored deck.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Do prices for singles drop after release? I like garruk but don't really see him being a $30 card....

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm building a Blue/White Control/Lifegain EDH deck with Grand Arbiter Agustin IV as my General. Any suggestions for cards for such a deck?

DZLE

Smash Master
@Faith, He will go down. Cards start out high for Preorder because of hype. You'll probably be able to pick him up at 18 ish after a little bit.

@Final, I can help you out. But you'll have yo wait til I am home from work because doing this from a phone sucks.
In the meantime, pm me your current list (if you have one) so I don't suggest doubles.

:phone:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, I dropped my mass polymorph idea and built a straight-up polynorph after picking up an Emrakul for 5 bucks. :3

It's pretty sick, but I need a playset of brainstorm before it's really complete.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Honestly, my edh is just a random assortment of cards that I put together after picking my best (and only) multicolored legend. It's still fun to play though, so don't sweat the choices too much!

DZLE

Smash Master
@Were, I love polymorph, and you can pick up brainstorm for next to nothing. I've got brainstorms lying all over.

@Lythy <3
Let's do it!

:phone:

DZLE

Smash Master
Agreed with Smooth.

Is it just 100 singleton? Or EDH (Commander)?

What kind of thoughts are you looking for?

Violence

Smash Lord
There's a card shop 2 minutes from the Genesis Hotel.

Is anyone who's going to Genesis down to draft during release weekend?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

Is it just 100 singleton? Or EDH (Commander)?
A better question would be what the theme of the deck is in general, haha. I think he meant that it was just a plain ol' 100 card deck.

Anyway, I'm building my first Modern deck! It'll be Cascading Hypergenesis. :3

Edit: @Violence: Sorry man, but I'm not going to Genesis. :(

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Oh, thanks! <3

And I will most certainly do that.

Out of three he bought, it seems like it's going to be the one that works well, regardless of what cards you draw, though I haven't tried it yet.

DZLE

Smash Master
Just got 502'd and i'm pissed after a long post LOL, anyway here's the gist of it:

As someone who has played a lot with the new generals / cards from the precons, Devour for Power is easily my favorite list. Glad you guys picked that one up. Even though I just spent a ton of money on my competitive Kaalia of the Vast 1v1 list :p

The Mimeoplasm is probably my favorite Legendary Creature of all time. I have a list that i've been testing and looking at for a Hermit Druid Combo shell, with him as the General for an alternate one-swing win condition. I'm a little afraid to make it though, I don't think winning consistently on turn 3-5 doing the same thing over and over with the same combo every time would be good for my local meta. I never want to discourage people from playing EDH since it's my favorite format. Instead of building the Hermit Druid shell, I suppose I should just make a deck around the Mimeoplasm himself :p

As for Damia, she is a complete HOUSE all on her own. You can basically just make a deck full of good stuff in here colors, and get the most insane card advantage every turn, just make sure to protect her ^^

On a side note, does anyone here use Cockatrice? I have been playing EDH on there, but I always much rather play with friends than randoms. It's more enjoyable, etc.

And if I may add, Lythy, you look very cute in that picture :3c

Top Bottom