• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic: The Gathering and Commander (EDH)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Went to Modern PTQ Austin this past weekend and took first. Won an invite/trip to spain for the pro tour. I'm super excited. This was the list I ran.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
Congrats on the win UTDZac I was curious what advantages you think the green Tron deck has over the U/W version. Here is the list I jammed at the SCG Open Sacramento bringing me to an uneventful 3-3 record.

3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Mana Leak
3 Think Twice
2 Dissipate
4 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Doom Blade
2 Go For the Throat
2 Tragic Slip
1 Consecrated Sphinx
3 Curse of Death’s Hold
3 Black Sun’s Zenith
1 Grave Titan
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
1 Ghost Quarter
7 Swamp
8 Island

2 Batterskull
2 Sever the Bloodline
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Curse of Death’s Hold
3 Negate
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Ratchet Bomb

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
It looks like you are lacking in win conditions. Did you forget Drownyards?

I love the U/B control archtype. I'd play this list at salt lake city if zombies werent more awesome:

2 Grave Titan
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Curse of Death's Hold
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
2 Dissipate
3 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Go for the Throat
4 Mana Leak
4 Think Twice
3 Tragic Slip
2 Tribute to Hunger

8 Island
6 Swamp
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Nephalia Drownyard

Althought Liliana can win you games, Tribute to Hunger in her spot can help you not lose to the aggressive decks. The lifegain + use with snapcaster can really help you regain control. Ratchet Bomb helps too much against delver/zombies and random artifacts that I find a hard time cutting down below 2. I personally like Grave Titan over Sphinx because the meta is still dominated by aggro decks; tapping out for a titan with 3 bodies is easier than tapping out for sphinx.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
Tribute is interesting in the main, seems pretty good with Snappy. I think you should just bring 12 black removal spells to the event and play to what you see. The Blue Sun Zenith can be a big game. Thanks for the input. I included the sphinx with anticipation of a more controlling field. Esper control ended up taking 1st so I feel I was correct in that case. Thanks for the input.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I also kind of want to play a deck that plays all the best cards, which I guess is esper colors. If only I knew had to perfect it. You've got snapcaster, souls, ponder, mana leak, delver, black removal, white sideboard options. I don't know.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Accidentally-ed 17th place at Pro Tour Barcelona. Woot! Got to beat Richard Bland and Antonino De Rosa as well as lose to Nassif, Naoki Shimizu, and Ken Yukuhiro. It was glorious, expect me back for Seattle! :)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm mad late but good **** on doing well at Barcelona, Zac.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I really like the idea of EDH and the idea of having fun building your own EDH deck (lots of customizations)... but what I cant understand is how to play a multiplayer game. Since Im a competitive player, i tend to optimize any damage output I can do... which in turn tends to tick people off and make them angry at me. Cant seem to figure out how to best have fun in a multiplayer EDH game.

Currently my only EDH deck is Doran and it's heavily treefolk themed.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I've played multiplayer a lot before but never EDH. I've played 2 on 2, free-for-all, Emperor. Emperor is a lot of fun in particular once you figure out what qualities a General's deck should have and what an Emperor's deck should have.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I NEVER NEW WE HAD AN MTG THREAD
ASDLKJFASDJKHFDASLJK
Subscribing, I'll read through it when I the chance

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I NEVER NEW WE HAD AN MTG THREAD
ASDLKJFASDJKHFDASLJK
Subscribing, I'll read through it when I the chance
same

So I went to the pre-release last night, and :embarrass: kind of didn't know it was $30 to enter the draft. So my friends and I were kind of bummed but we at least were allowed to buy the intro pack for M13! It was a preset deck with 2 boosters for $10. Sounds like a deal to me.
Anyway, I picked up the deck called "Mob Rule" fronted by a legendary goblin with "tap: place X 1/1 red goblin creature tokens on the battlefield where X is the number of goblins you control". So double goblins every turn :D The other decks were badass too though. Definitely helped fuel me into playing more (I kind of only got into MTG a few weeks ago)
sorry for a story-of-my-life kind of post, but yeah. cool beans

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
nice. I went back with my group to just bust out and play the new decks. Do you notice a really big emphasis on tokens? It seems like all the intro decks are pushing that. Goblins in mine, drakes in the blue one, soldiers in the white one, etc. Maybe it's a trend I haven't been around long enough to know is already there, but it was like everyone I played with had a tool for creating them

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Haha my friends have been playing MAgic for ages, but I've only started pretty much yesterday.

Went and got the M13 Sole Domination Black and white intro pack focusing on "Exalted" and I love it. Opened one of the booster packs and got Sublime Archangel, no idea what that card would mean to me until later. Now I need like at least 2 more of her haha.
Purchased a few more cards to replace a few of the less then great cards and I've got a decent deck.

Playing Magic is expensive :O

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Man Zac is doing some fun things, if I didn't want to travel for Smash and other things i would be doing that for MTG.

I'll just stick to locals then.

:phone:

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I have been trying to make a new magic deck in general. and the fact that Exalted is back, it makes me super happy. I have an exalted deck, tricolor (Blue/White/Green) But now I want to finally make a standard deck.

Is the new exalted cards any good?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
well you've got that Nefarox guy who's a 5/5 flying demon with exalted and every time he attacks alone, defending player sacs a creature.
The exalted themed intro deck has some other nice ones.
Duskmantle Prowler, a 2/2 vampire with exalted and haste
Knight of Glory, 2/1 with exalted and protection from black
Knight of Infamy, 2/1 with protection from white

OH, and the only mythic with exalted: Sublime Archangel, a 4/3 flying exalted with "Other creatures you control have exalted" 0_0

I admit, exalted looks super fun right now

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nefarox, Archangel, and the two-drops are the only Exalted creatures that look good to me right now, but they could probably support a deck along with stuff like Lingering Souls.

I don't think the land would be good in an aggressive deck - in fact, Angelic Benediction might be better since you don't lose tempo by playing it - but it could work in control. The skeleton doesn't really do enough on his own either imo. Beating for 2 on turn 2 and then sitting around the rest of the game to block and let Exalted stack is just kind of underwhelming. And besides, both black and white have access to way better creatures on turn 1 in this format. I guess he's still better in an aggro deck than the land though.

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention the Aven. He's effectively a 2/2 flier for 2, which is really good.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So I wanna make a deathtouch lifelink type deck :3
I already have a Vault of the Archangel and after attending pre-release and opening a few boosters, I now have the xathrid gorgon and a couple of vampire nighthawks. The latter being a 2/3 flier with deathtouch and lifelink for 3, which is ****ing awesome. But I'm trying to decide how practical the gorgon is. She's got the petrify ability but that essentially means 6 to summon and 3 for the ability to take out 1 creature. But she can do it every turn. Does that still sound pricey?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Xathrid Gorgon definitely does not seem worth the mana it costs to use it. For less mana you could just run red for Olivia Voldaren or you could just keep using Nefarox and have a slower kill in exchange for being able to get rid of their creatures. Hell, you could run Zombie Apocalypse and it would probably be more consistently relevant than Xathrid.

Here's a list of the best Deathtouch+Lifelink deck I can think of.

24 Swamp
24 Vampire Nighthawk
12 Wurmcoil Engine

Strategy: Never have more than 4 of anything out at a time. If your opponent sees what you're up to and calls a judge, punch them in the face and book it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
oh ****, I hadn't seen Olivia before, that's way cool

I live the punch-and-run technique >: )

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Here's my attempt at an exalted deck [standard]

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/egg-cellent-exalted/

Got about 90% of the cards. Sublime ArchAngel too costly :( yet core
No Nefarox? Not even as a 1-of?

So in general, I don't like Tormented Soul. He's good with Ring of Xathrid but bad with a lot of other things. I understand that it's really tempting for him to be a big exalted sweeper at the end of the game but you have enough evasion in this deck that you shouldn't need to run an unblockable guy over more knights and avens (Or Nefarox who is a big Exalted sweeper). I also don't like Ring of Xathrid here since it effectively costs 3 mana to equip and have mana left to regenerate and it only slowly builds up over time. And again, you only have two so you'll rarely see it. If you do want to run equipment, Executioner's Hood seems better because of its evasion and Mask of Avacyn seems better also because of Hexproof, although Mask is pretty mana intensive too. But personally I would recommend cutting the equipment for more Sign in Blood, that card is just too good to not run 4 of. Your manabase also seems like it could use some work. Maybe put a few Evolving Wilds in to help get what you need consistently? Your deck really wants BB on turn 3 for Nighthawk and WW on turn 4 for Angel or Paladin. I guess your manabase will be better once Return to Ravnica brings back shocklands.

tl;dr
-4 Basic lands
-4 Tormented Soul
-2 Duty-Bound Dead
-2 Ring of Xathrid
+4 Evolving Wilds
+1 Aven Squire
+2 Knight of Glory
+2 Knight of Infamy
+1 Nefarox
+2 Sign in Blood

Also, I never noticed it before but the equipment in Innistrad block really suck.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Thanks for the feedback :)
You've opened my eyes. I never really thought about taking out Tormented soul, but that does make sense, I was blinded by the word "unblockable". I'll take em out for +Aven squire and knights. Nefarox I feel is too costly and has too little impact in this deck. Sublime does well enough with exalted.

I did like Sign in Blood, but I figure that Duress would be better. I'd rather see my opponents hand and remove a card that could destroy my creatures then pay the extra mana cost and 2 life to draw an extra card.

Evolving wilds is decent, I just don't like that the land comes in tapped.
I like the rings due to it being only 1 to equip and doesnt get destroyed even if the creature is. Adds pressure to respond and the regen is good for only 2.

Thanks, the tormented soul removal was much needed now that I've done it :D
Hmm didn't know about the shock lands, that's awesome, def need that.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Damnit I was going through the thread hoping for tons of Legacy but low and behold tons of Standard.

Hey Mow, I play Legacy. Your first deck link doesn't work anymore. Second one does and that deck looks aight.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Yay legacy! :D
Half the cards I have in my favorite deck are from an expansion with the word 'Mirrodin' in it lol

:phone:

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So last night I noticed something about my Myr tribal deck. Or rather, about 2 cards in particular

Both of these were 4-of's in my deck. By the time I got to at least 1 Palladium Myr (PM) and 2 Myr Galvanizers (MG) I learned something.

Assuming you have the 3 mana to get them out, you can:
-Tap PM for +2 mana = 5 mana
-Tap MG for -1 = 4
-Tap the PM again for +2 = 6
-Tap the 2nd MG for -1 = 5
-Tap the PM again for +2 = 7 and so on and so forth.

Infinite colorless mana :D

Top Bottom