• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Role Discussion

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Hey, Mafia members of DC. Just thought I put up a thread that talks about one thing: Power roles. You know, those abilities that can help the favor of town or mafia (and even be abused if used right :p). But we're not gonna talk about the original roles you find in the mafia wikipedia. This thread talks about original roles, which means roles we made up for this said game

Take for example my Mafia game, Mafia Milkyway Sleep Over (found here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224521 ). As you read through it, you notice some people have roles that were originally made by me. From 'Truth Vial Gunman' to 'Rouge' power roles. People were with a mix of positive and negatory over the roles, but they were liked none the less cause it sparked something new within the game. Hopefully, future Mafia games may want to make original power roles without making it too strong or too weak. That's where this thread steps in.

This thread is meant to talk about original power roles that may have been created from said player. In this thread, we critique upon said role so as to make it balanced. These created roles are meant for Town, Mafia, and Independents alike. When putting in a role that needs to be critiqued, be sure to

- Put the name of the said power role

- Be sure to tell what its alliance its for (Be sure that it can be used by either any aliance or just one.)

- Thoroughly tell what the role does.

So now...without further adue

send out some roles you wish to put in your Mafia game and critique!

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'll start myself off as an example

In my game, Mafia Milkyway Sleep over, I made several roles in it. Here they are

Truth Vial Gunman
aliance - He was considered town in the game, but can be used by Mafia as well

Basically, you have two types of powers and each of them has two to three (which means you range from 4 to 6 bullets in total). One of those effects is that it can check the target's alliance. The other can check what role they have. However, they have a 50% chance of miss, and if they do, there's a flavor that tells they're possibly mafia. At first, the hints get a bit light, but then it just shows flavor of mafia framing the said gunman.

It was considered a vig at first, but since it has to KILL, I may switch it as a investigative role.

so far, that's all I have to put up (have to head to work). Tell me what ya think.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The easiest way to balance a custom role in a game is to compare the new role to its classic role relative. First of all, Truth Vial Gunman would be considered an investigatory role, not a vigilante role. Vig roles kill people, investigatory roles learn information about the target's role. So in this case, the best way to balance the Truth Vial Gunman (now abbreviated TVG) is to compare it directly to the (sane) Cop.

Each night, the Cop can investigate a target and determine his or her alignment. This is a constant: he can do it once each night, every night until he is dead or the game has ended. His investigation can fail, but only if a roleblocker stops him that very night. His investigation is always reliable with the exception of the miller (townie who pings scum, normally 0-1 per game) and the godfather (mafia who pings inno, normally 0-1 per game).

For my comparison, I am going to use the TVG that was in Sleepover Mafia, which was Ashley, played by KevinM.

The TVG was given 4 bullets: 2 for alignment investigations, and 2 for flavor-name investigtions. They each only had a 50% chance of success: in essence, the TVG has 1 alignment investigation and 1 flavor-name investigation. The alignment investigation is just like a normal cop's, and in Sleepover, it would find all townies innocent, 2 of the mafia guilty, 1 mafia godfather innocent, and 1 Rogue (mafia SK hybrid) independent. The flavor-name investigation is not as powerful or useful as the alignment investigtion, as it does not tell you if the target is bad for the town. In Sleepover, the TVG was further punished by the fact that all 3 scum and the 1 independent all had very townie-sounding names. Furthermore, the TVG's shots were guaranteed failure if he shot the mafia doctor's target.

In summary, when compared to the Cop, the TVG would be considered a 1-shot day-cop (a regular townie who is able to use 1 cop investigation during the day once in the game). However, the TVG is even weaker than a 1-shot day-cop, because every time his investigtion fails (predicted to be twice), he is publically framed by flavor to seem scummy.

The TVG seen in Sleepover Mafia is a very weak power role that brings little benefit to the player and can be compared in power to a vanilla townie: a vanilla townie would not get the 1-shot cop investigtion, but he also would not get framed by flavor to look guilty.

To balance the TVG, I would make him more equal to a Cop, especially considering that there was no straight-up Cop role in Sleepover. To begin, I would give the TVG one shot each day, similar to the way a Cop gets 1 investigation per day. I would also remove the 50% chance of failure on his vials; instead, I would make it a 50% chance he is told his target's alignment and a 50% chance hs is told his target's name. The miller and the godfatehr still affect his results, but now he is much more like a cop. Finally, I would not produce thread flavor for each investigation - instead, I would have the TVG PM me who he wants to investigate, and I would respond to him with the results of his investigation. I would also send a PM to the target, letting him know that he was hit with some kind of needle and cannot remember what happened next.

In this way, the TVG is much more like a cop, though he is still weaker than the Cop. He is in essence a 50% alignment day-cop, 50% flavor day-cop, with the side effect of mysteriously notifying his target that *something* happened. This is a much more viable role, pun intended.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I encourage any and all kinds of role discussion in this thread. If you would like to discuss any role, whether it be a classic role or a custom role, feel free to bring up the discussion.

If you would like me to help you balance a role, or would like to discuss a role that you created, feel free to bring it up and I will respond thoroughly.

Handorin

Smash Hero
/subscribe.
Hurry and finish TLI mafia, then I could probably talk more.

But since one of my interesting roles is dead, I suppose I can talk about it while not revealing a lot more about the game.

Matt the Toothwhitener Dealer from White Power (Salesman Independant)

Man, you are one smooth guy. How do you get your teeth so white? Come on, share the wealth. Send in a name each night. That person then pays you $10. If you send in a name of a power role, the person they visit will also pay you money. However, you will not know how much you make. You are independent. If you get $60 by the end, you win.
I thought it would be fun to include him in the game, but I wasn't sure how. There are several things that happen because/through him in the episode he is in. I thought of a town or mafia politician that could control votes of people who he sold to, but I decided that might be too complicated. I also thought of some sort of silencer, but decided against that as well.

I settled down on the fact that I wanted him to give away teeth whitener, but would make him independent so he can have his own agenda. I asked around to find out what people thought was the average length of the game. It ended up being 4/5 nights.

After finding this out, I decided instead of trying to find certain players, it would be best if he actually earned money for the drug deals. Obviously it would make sense to make visiting PRs (cop, vig, mafia, roleblocker, doctor, etc.) worth more because they can "recommend" someone to Matt and he gets another sale. Naturally, knowing how much you made per night would be broke tier, because if you found a PR night 1, then you can have an easy ride for the win.

$60 seemed like an ideal amount to reach. $70/80 would require a sale to a PR nearly every night, $40-50 could possibly end in 2 nights, 3 at most. $60 could at minimum last 3 nights, but was more likely to continue 4 or 5 because the player didn't know how much money they received.

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Advice?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
60 was definitely good. It requires him to think like a "survivor", while also weighing other variables. I thought that was a very cool role.

Omis

my friends were skinny
You are a daytime vigilante. However, there is a twist. If you pm me whom you wish to kill I will announce it for you and your role will not be revealed. After secretely using a kill you may not day kill any longer. On the other hand, if you choose to announce your kill yourself, thus revealing your role, you will get two day kills. You can only use one of these roles. Choose wisely.

I loved this role but a lot of people thought it was overpowered. I thought it required some mind games and Mac played it out well.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Heh I loved that role.
Who cares if it's overpowered, as long as the role is given to me. =D

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I had a (as far as I'm aware) custom role in Dinomafia. I never really gave it a name, but it's basically a Scaredy-Cat Cop.

It was a cop who investigated during the day. However, if he got a "mafia" result to his investigation, he'd be scared away from the game until the next day. This would only happen once. The twist was that he didn't know this would happen, and thought himself to be a normal day cop.

It's a shame it never actually came up, because I would've liked to have actually seen it in action.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Tom - Your way of the TVG is better constructed then mine. Thanks for the critique! ^^

Hando - The toothwhitner dealer is a very interesting role. I like it, lots

Mcfox - Your role is also interesting. Too bad I couldn't really use it XD;; You spoke before saying that you was gonna let the role run every time he finds mafia (instead of it being just once) and felt it'd make the game unlimited or something when it came to 3 players (two townies vs. 1 mafia). well, if that's an issue, just remember that Mafia wins when they're the same amount or more then Town, so if the cop uses his pr and leaves, Mafia would win. That's the only way I can see that role backfiring.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
The tooth whitener role was was mine, and yes I agree it was interesting and fairly well designed, I simply must say I don't approve of such roles.

Independent roles that entail non conventional win conditions, IMHO, are just plain dumb. Going into a game of mafia, NO faction can plan for the existence of said roles. They simply exist outside of the US vs THEM design that mafia is suppose to have.

Such roles just seem entirely pointless. They lack the "clash" that the town/mafia/SK have. Independent roles of that nature don't really beat anyone when they win. They are just awarded some hollow win over nobody. The mafia and the town cannot BOTH win. The SK cannot share a victory with any other faction (at least conventionally). This is because their win conditions rely directly upon the failure of the opposing faction. You don't have that kind of clash when you're one of these stupid "minigame sub-win
roles.

By removing that clash, you're isolating a player from the game. They aren't out to beat anyone. They're just trying to "win". But win what? Accomplish some task that no one could prepare for or expect you to be trying to carry out? Where's the satisfaction in that? I don't know about you guys, but sharing victory with a faction just because you did something quirky doesn't make me feel like I won. It just makes me feel like I was forced to do something stupid and uncompetitive in place of actually getting to play REAL mafia.

Maybe I'm missing something, but in all honesty, I HIGHLY recommend against placing such roles in games. Your time and creativity is better spent designing and balancing interesting power roles for CONVENTIONAL factions.

Handorin

Smash Hero
One thing I've seen GMs do is make those independent roles with a win condition, but after they achieve it, they because regular town/mafia members. This would probably be a good consideration for future games.

Sharpevil

Smash Rookie
The tooth whitener role was was mine, and yes I agree it was interesting and fairly well designed, I simply must say I don't approve of such roles.

Independent roles that entail non conventional win conditions, IMHO, are just plain dumb. Going into a game of mafia, NO faction can plan for the existence of said roles. They simply exist outside of the US vs THEM design that mafia is suppose to have.

Such roles just seem entirely pointless. They lack the "clash" that the town/mafia/SK have. Independent roles of that nature don't really beat anyone when they win. They are just awarded some hollow win over nobody. The mafia and the town cannot BOTH win. The SK cannot share a victory with any other faction (at least conventionally). This is because their win conditions rely directly upon the failure of the opposing faction. You don't have that kind of clash when you're one of these stupid "minigame sub-win
roles.

By removing that clash, you're isolating a player from the game. They aren't out to beat anyone. They're just trying to "win". But win what? Accomplish some task that no one could prepare for or expect you to be trying to carry out? Where's the satisfaction in that? I don't know about you guys, but sharing victory with a faction just because you did something quirky doesn't make me feel like I won. It just makes me feel like I was forced to do something stupid and uncompetitive in place of actually getting to play REAL mafia.

Maybe I'm missing something, but in all honesty, I HIGHLY recommend against placing such roles in games. Your time and creativity is better spent designing and balancing interesting power roles for CONVENTIONAL factions.
Quoted for truth.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Nah, you didn't kill it. lol there isn't a lot of custom threads to talk about atm since there's only a few of them. However, I would like to bring up a role that has shown concern after the game the role is called 'Rouge'

It's a independent role, with a mason-like effect. Basically, the Rouge is considered a 'mafia align' member within the group and can enter chat rooms of the mafias or conversate with them. However, that said indie is not counted towards the total win of said game (as in, if there's 3 mafias and one of them is a indie facing off against 3 townies, the game is still continued). As such, the indie is able to still kill his opponent, but there is a catch to it. while he could normally kill a townie member with no problem, him killing a mafia member has a 'chance game' effect. Depending on how many members there are, he shows a great chance of revealing his true alignment in terms of a flavor hint.

let's say there are two mafias (true ones). If he tries to NK one of them, he has a 50% chance of either a clean kill or not. we'll say the indie is a character name...Meta Knight (LOL perfect example for a 'broken' role lol). If he fails the chance game, the game would show off a hint like this.

"Hmm...there's something funny about this kill. There seems to be a lot of slashes on his body, and they all seem agressive."

Or

Upon the wall lies something strange. Near the body was a peice of what seems to be fabric of the sort. There shows what seem to be a sword and a M right in front of it.

It's suppose to be a hint of some level as to who the rogue might be. You see, the less Mafias there are, the more stronger the hint is gonna be. If the last mafia member is killed and the indie fails the the chance game, the flavor is gonna flat out say the said player/character. The reason for this chance game is to discourage the player from constantly picking off the Mafia players whenever he chooses.

The Rouge also has a key winning condition. He can only win by him either surviving or by limiting the mafia members to at least one. That means if there are two townies, a rouge, and one mafia member and it gets carried to the next day. If the rouge isn't killed that time, he wins the game.

Now special ability aside, he is considered a indie by blood. This means he can still kill if he's recruited by a mason or turn up as 'indie' by a cop.

Now again, this role was tested in the Mafia Milkyway sleep over. To help prove something was amist, I assigned 4 mafia members. 3 of them were Mafia while the rouge, who was Tom, was the Rouge. Many have feel that it was too powerful cause of how he could easily presuade the NKs to his desire.

anyway, I would like to hear what you all think of this role.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
The role is interesting, but IMO, it's very broken.

You're throwing a traitor into the midst of a core group thats survival DEPENDS ENTIRELY on teamwork and coordination. There are two key staples to the conventional factions of mafia. The town has numbers, but lacks trust and coordination. The mafia is the opposite, they have complete trust of one another and the ability to coordinate. If you introduce a role that undermines the mafia's ability to trust its own members, you've essentially destroyed the essential pillars that uphold successful mafia operation.

What interests me most about the Rogue role is how discovery of his existence could be used to allow for a "throw under the bus" maneuver by the mafia WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO SACRIFICE A REAL MAFIA MEMBER. I think in order to make this role balanced, there needs to be a more consistent NOT LUCK BASED manner in which the real mafiats have a way to figuring out who the traitor in their midst is. The reward for solving the puzzle would be allowing the rogue to become bus fodder.

But then again, even THAT is flawed! Think about it, if the rogue is about to go down, he has GAMEBREAKING capabilities! He's technically not alligned with the mafia, YET HE KNOWS WHO ALL OF THEM ARE! This is a FATAL flaw in the role design. A vindictive Rogue could easily destroy the game because of this knowledge, by simply revealing it to the town prior to his death.

The key to the mafia's victory is secrecy, and allowing for an independent role to know who comprises the mafia is pretty **** game breaking.

Ultimately I give the Rogue role a big no. As it stands, it's ridiculously imbalanced and destroys many game fundamentals.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The role is interesting, but IMO, it's very broken.

You're throwing a traitor into the midst of a core group thats survival DEPENDS ENTIRELY on teamwork and coordination. There are two key staples to the conventional factions of mafia. The town has numbers, but lacks trust and coordination. The mafia is the opposite, they have complete trust of one another and the ability to coordinate. If you introduce a role that undermines the mafia's ability to trust its own members, you've essentially destroyed the essential pillars that uphold successful mafia operation.

What interests me most about the Rogue role is how discovery of his existence could be used to allow for a "throw under the bus" maneuver by the mafia WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO SACRIFICE A REAL MAFIA MEMBER. I think in order to make this role balanced, there needs to be a more consistent NOT LUCK BASED manner in which the real mafiats have a way to figuring out who the traitor in their midst is. The reward for solving the puzzle would be allowing the rogue to become bus fodder.

But then again, even THAT is flawed! Think about it, if the rogue is about to go down, he has GAMEBREAKING capabilities! He's technically not alligned with the mafia, YET HE KNOWS WHO ALL OF THEM ARE! This is a FATAL flaw in the role design. A vindictive Rogue could easily destroy the game because of this knowledge, by simply revealing it to the town prior to his death.

The key to the mafia's victory is secrecy, and allowing for an independent role to know who comprises the mafia is pretty **** game breaking.

Ultimately I give the Rogue role a big no. As it stands, it's ridiculously imbalanced and destroys many game fundamentals.
What if we give the rouge the strictness of not revealing or breadcumming the mafias, like the real traitor? Also, we could give god father the ability to actually scope out the traitor. All the god father has to do is give one guess. Just one. His special saying will cripple said mafia to not being count in terms of saying (hell, we could just kick him out of the room). Now, if the god father guesses right, the rouge ability will be crippled, losing it's ability to willingly kill when it wants.

the object of the rogue is to be the backstabber. you know, the ninja who gets inside the heart of evil and corrupts it to his own way, making others fight for each other or not trust. it's meant as such as 'watch your back' sort of way.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Although I disagree with frozen's utter hatred of indie roles, I have to agree with him on Rogues. Your restrictions don't address frozen's central point, either. The mafia's best weapon against the town is its ability to trust one another. If you take that away, then they're just a smaller town that's up against the big giant town.

Your description of the Rogue role is, I think, exactly what's wrong with it.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Although I disagree with frozen's utter hatred of indie roles, I have to agree with him on Rogues. Your restrictions don't address frozen's central point, either. The mafia's best weapon against the town is its ability to trust one another. If you take that away, then they're just a smaller town that's up against the big giant town.

Your description of the Rogue role is, I think, exactly what's wrong with it.
Okay, I understand =/

I guess we can use the Rogue role in a more townish play. Maybe it can either be already partnered by a mason (think of lovers, except they're not lovers at all). Or have the option of able to be recruited by a mason (this in terms of the masons not getting killed by his recruit.)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Right, a Rogue would be cooler if it was a mafia-alligned traitor that can be masoned. The concept of invoking paranoia is a cool one. But doing it to the mafia camp is just a brokenly bad idea.

EDIT: The thing about the Lovers-but-not-Lovers aspect is that if the game STARTS with them together, it's kinda broken in mafia favor. The mafia has a pet to toy with with absolutely no repercussions. Whereas this unknown repercussion is exactly what brought you down in TLI, and rightly so, as you'd manipulated jungle to the point of him doing things that were flat-out logically bankrupt.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
guys, i'm in so much pain right now.
=/

and I told you the role was broken Rockin

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so i've been thinking about how to go about game balancing. Any ideas? Tom suggested to have mock playthroughs of the game using random.org to choose night actions.

High School mafia: 7 vanillas, cop, doc, reporter, traitor, mafia role blocker, mafia goon, survivor
Dinomafia: 4 vanillas, day cop, night cop, complete BP, 2 masons, mafia lawyer, mafia framer, mafia goon, SK that has to be lynched or shot twice in order to die

Are these games well balanced? Why or why not? What would you do to balance them more.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
both games were easily some of the best on this site so i wouldn't change a thing. i'd probably take out the survivor in high school mafia though. and dinomafia was just awesome

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mafia Bomb Lover. Gayest **** ever.

Also, Dinomafia seemed pretty cool.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer

roles.

i agree. tired of "do an obnoxious sidequest and leave" roles. indies that need other factions to lose are better

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
You are a Comparison Cop. Each night, you may select two players other than yourself who are currently alive. You will then be told if those two players are the same alignment or of different alignments. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are an ascetic. You may never make a night action, but you are also immune to any night action that is not directly lethal. You are [insert alignment here].

You are the mafia bloodsucker. You are close to death, only sustaining life from the blood you steal from your nightkill targets. If you fail to make a nightkill during the Night phase (due to your target's protection OR you are not the designated killer that night), you will die from blood-loss in the morning. You are in the Mafia with xxx (playername), yyy (playername), zzz (playername), and win when the mafia reaches a majority or nothing can prevent this.

You are a warlock. Each Night, you may send me the name of the player you predict will be lynched the next Day. If you predict correctly, you will earn 1 point. If you predict correctly (n/5 where n=#players) times, you will achieve your win condition. You may choose "No Lynch," and you may choose yourself (if you predict yourself successfully for your last point, you will leave victorious before you die and therefore still win). You are independently aligned.

Note: send me a choice for Day 1 ASAP before I start the game!

You are a Jack of all Trades. Each night, you may use one of your one-shot abilities: a cop's investigation, a doctor's protection, a drunk's roleblock, or a vilgilante's shot. You may only use one each night and you may use none of them on yourself. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are an Inventor. Each night, you may anonymously send the player of your choice one of your one-shot items: a cop's investigation, and doctor's protection, a drunk's roleblock, or a vigilante's shot. Your target will then be notified that they received this power and may use it on a subsequent night of their choice. You may only send one per night and you may never use them yourself or send them to yourself. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are a Hunter. You are a vanilla townie, however, if you are lynched, you may choose one player to daykill and take to the grave with you. You do not get this opportunity if you are nightkilled. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are a Hider. Each night, you may choose one player to hide behind. If someone targets you for a nightkill, they will miss. However, if the person you are hiding behind is targeted for a nightkill, you will die as well. You are [insert alignment here].

You are a Commuter. Every [odd OR even] Night, you drive back home and are immune to all Night actions. You are [insert alignment here].

You are a Motivator. Each night, you may choose one player to motivate. That player will be allowed to make their night action twice that Night. You are [insert alignment here].

You are an Executor. Once per game, you may make a public, bold action to execute: playername if that player has L/2 votes. That player will be lynched and the Day will end. You are [insert alignment here].

You are a Governor. Once per game, you may end the Day prematurely and [no one will be lynched OR the person with the most votes will be lynched]. You are [insert alignment here].

You are a Thief. Each night, you may steal a flavor item from a player. This item will give a clue to their role (vanilla: ice cream cone; godfather: ice cream cone; cop: badge; doctor: scalpel; serial killer: scalpel; vigilante: gun; mafia: gun; etc.). You are [insert alignment here].

You are an Abductor. Each night, you may choose one player to abduct; that player will be removed from the game and reported as "missing!" though their role and alignment will be kept hidden. If you die, all the players you have abducted will return to the game. You are independently aligned and win when you are the last man standing or nothing can prevent this.

You are a Lyncher. You absolutely hate [insert town-aligned player] and want them to get lynched. If [that player] is Lynched and you are either the 1st vote or the hammer vote on them, you will win and leave the game. If that player is killed or the lynch is not executed properly, you will (lose OR revert to a hated vanilla townie). You are independently aligned.

You are a hated townie. Nobody likes you, and as such, it only takes L-1 to lynch you. Be careful! You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

You are a mafia Yakuza. On a Night of your choice, you may sacrifice your own life to recruit another player to the mafia. This is a trackable action, and you may make this action and the night-kill in the same night if you wish. You are mafia aligned and win when the mafia wins.

You are a mafia usurper. You are a simple mafia goon and win when the mafia wins; however, if the mafia wins and the Godfather is still alive, you will lose. You must both ensure that the Godfather dies AND ensure a mafia victory.

You are a tree stump. You are a vanilla townie, but when you die, you will still be allowed to post in the game. You will no longer have a vote, no longer count towards majority, and no longer be targetable, but you will be a confirmed townie tree stump and you will still be allowed to talk as much as you want in the thread. You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Role modifiers:

...you also have a bulletproof vest, which will protect you from one night kill. You (will OR will not) be notified if you are shot and your vest is used.

...you are also bulletproof, and cannot be killed at night.

...you also have a skeleton key, which you can use once to free yourself before a lynch and sneak away, unlynched.

...you are also unlynchable, and cannot be lynched.

...you are also pacifistic, and you may only use your night action if you end the Day without a vote on the lynch target.

...you are also warmongering, and you may only use your night action if you end the Day with a vote on the lynch target.

...you are also hammer-happy, and you may only use your night action if you hammer the lynch target that Day.

...you are a 1-shot xxxx and may only use your power once.

...you are a backup xxxx and may only use the power once the main xxxx is dead. (Deputy for Cop, Nurse for Doctor, Boyscout for tracker, Birdwatcher for watcher, etc.)

...you are a compulsive xxx and must use your action each night!

(note: compulsive vig is like a town aligned serial killer...)

...you are a no back-to-back xxxx and may only use your power if you did not use it the Night before.

...you are an odd night xxxx and may only use your power on odd numbered Nights (1,3,5,etc).

...you are an even night xxxx and may only use your power on even numbered Nights (2,4,6,etc).

mask man

Smash Cadet
Comparison Cop
Pacifist
warmongering
and
Hammer-Happy

Are the only things I have never seen before.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay, I want to ask to see if this role is fairly balance as I vision it to be.

It's a remix of the 'Paranoid doctor' role. Instead of protecting and roleblocking said person you choose, you do something a bit different. You get to have two abilities that you can switch to

One of them is to have two targets. One target will be roleblocked, the other target will be docced. They CAN'T be the same person, so it has to be different people. So basically, you're roleblocking one person while you're saving the life of another. Normal doc and roleblock rules apply here.

The other is that you can doc yourself. You lose the function to roleblock that said night, but you will be able to doc yourself. To make this role less broken, if a Mafia and indie target you at the same time, you'll be pretty much 'too weak' to do an action on the next night. However, if a vig targets you, you are indeed dead.

I'm not sure for the moment what name to give it. I didn't mean to make the 2nd option seem weak, but I felt several might think it's too overpowered if I didn't do that.

anyway, tell me what ya think.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I haven't posted here before because I didn't know of this place - I wish I found out earlier that there are Mafia games on SWF :ohwell:
Even though I never took part in any Mafia game on SWF I'm still quite experienced in the game as I have played it a lot IRL...so I'm not a newbie. Whenever I played Mafia IRL with my friends we tried to create some new, balanced roles...

The opportunist starts as a vanilla. He is basically an indie but he has to choose an alignment at some point during the course of the game. He helps to one side but he still acts in his own interest.
As soon as both sides (town and anti town) lose one member (either NK or lynch) the opportunist has to choose, which party he sides with. Likewise, if 3 members of the same side die (most likely town) without the other side losing even one member he has to take the "loosing" side.
Example 1: Day 1 the Doc gets NK'd and a Mafia goon gets lynched. Now the opportunist has to decide, which of those two he wants to replace and he takes his role. If he decides to side with the Mafia he'll become another goon. If he decides to side with the townspeople he'll take the role of the doc.
Example 2: Town has lost 3 members: a vanilla, a cop and something else...now the opportunist has to replace one of those people, taking his role.

Once the opportunist chooses his side he has to keep that role for the rest of the game / until he's dead.

At first the opportunist doesn't seem to make a lot of sense but he's really fun since the townspeople never know which side he's on. On the other hand he take any of their roles if he feels like doing so (at a given time), which can be really helpful (if he takes the role of a cop or a doc)...

:059:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Kinda sounds like the amnesiac, except more lenient on when he chooses.

mask man

Smash Cadet
Most places I know an Amnesiac is a role that doesn't know what they are, but may understand in time. I think he is talking about the EpicMafia role, which chooses to be town or mafia at night if he wants, I think if he chooses mafia that the mafia don't know about him.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ Rockin: Your variation of the role doesn't seem too out of balance, but it could use some tweaking. I'd suggest adding a limitation to the self Docing, such as you cannot do it two nights in a row, or something along those lines. I also don't understand why self-docing would protect you from mafia/indy but not from a vig. Why are you making such an exception? It seems completely unwarranted.

@ Gheb: Yeah, your role is very similar to the Epic Mafia amnesiac, however I see a mechnaical problem with your role.

You said that "as soon as any side loses a member, the opportunist MUST pick a side", but then you go on to say that if either side looses three people in a row, the opportunist MUST pick that side to join. This doesn't make sense, unless you actually want the opportunist to be able to change sides more than once. The town could easily loose a townie by day and one by night, at which point the opportunist could choose to go mafia. But then the next day, according to your rules, if another townie is lynched, he HAS to go back to the town. Is this correct? If so, I don't agree with the role's design. Side jumping is a BIG no-no in my opinion. There are plenty of roles that allow for alignment changes ONCE per game, but more than once is just plain dumb.

In all honesty, you should really pick if you want your role to be an OPPORTUNIST who can choose his side, or a SYMPATHIZER who MUST go to the losing side, but not both.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
@ Gheb: Yeah, your role is very similar to the Epic Mafia amnesiac, however I see a mechnaical problem with your role.

You said that "as soon as any side loses a member, the opportunist MUST pick a side", but then you go on to say that if either side looses three people in a row, the opportunist MUST pick that side to join. This doesn't make sense, unless you actually want the opportunist to be able to change sides more than once. The town could easily loose a townie by day and one by night, at which point the opportunist could choose to go mafia. But then the next day, according to your rules, if another townie is lynched, he HAS to go back to the town. Is this correct? If so, I don't agree with the role's design. Side jumping is a BIG no-no in my opinion. There are plenty of roles that allow for alignment changes ONCE per game, but more than once is just plain dumb.

In all honesty, you should really pick if you want your role to be an OPPORTUNIST who can choose his side, or a SYMPATHIZER who MUST go to the losing side, but not both.
He can only choose his side once. Once he decides to go town or anti-town he has to keep his alignment...I should've mentioned it but I thought it was obvious. I'll edit my description and fix it.

:059:

Top Bottom