• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Ideas and Strategies

Handorin

Smash Hero
Pen Island really sells pens.

I only know because I got someone to go there.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well, your friend probably has a new hymen implant, courtesy of the Pen Island staff- free of charge!

Be thankful he didn't get the DELUXE package...

Ugh, my cousin came back with something called the Pen Island Orificial Removal Treatment.

Don't ask which ones they chose.

Ronike

Smash Ace
It's... Ok, but mafia could prolly just leave him alive for a few days in order to get the town to doubt him and kill him.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That whole thing is just a buch of crap imo. It's circular logic. He tells the true doc to not CC but then he tells the rest of the town to follow him because hes unCC'd Doc...

:059:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Looks like it was a great way to stir discussion without causing too much commotion. You helped end the RVS stage while presenting a concept that can be both pro-town, scummy, and neutral.

I approve.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha I kind of like it. I didn't look to see how it turned out, but done by a good enough player that just WIFOM's the hell outta mafia, and if town disregards it, as they should, doesn't hurt them much.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
That strat is awful.

Gambits like that are pretty ****ty. They only serve to confuse townies just as much as the mafia. I can see what he's trying to do, and if discussion was stagnant, then I guess I can understand why he did it.

But strategies like that destroy Lynch all Liars. There are very few situations in which LAL should be abandoned and none of them take place at the start of a game and none take place in Lylo.

I don't particularly like that guy who responded saying "the real doc should not counterclaim" as "always true." It's not always true. In fact, it's almost NEVER true.

I basically agree with the guy saying that it may have been a better idea in an experianced player game, NOT a newbie game.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Loool I can totally see that from Kairyuu.

I will talk about a gambit someone tried of a game Im in currently once it's over. (On MS)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
so... why is everyone so against no lynching? I somewhat think its a good thing to do on d1. spend the day working on getting discussion goin, do as much as u need, then end with no lynch. considering u can't learn THAT much from d1 (enough to have a rly good deduction if someone is mafia or not) paired with the ratio of scum to townie, it just doesn't add up. seriously, how many times is scum actually lynched on d1? its such a rare thing that it makes a lot more sense to conserve a tonie than to take that risk. also, if there's about as many town power roles as there r scum then its practically the same chance that u would lynch one of them instead (or force them to role claim which is awful to happen on d1)

Ronike

Smash Ace
A) puts more pressure on scum day 1. If they know someeone is gonna be lynched out of desperation, they are going to be more careful, which can ve seen.
B) I hate no lynches.

I've hit scum d1 in 2/3 of my past games

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, a no lynch doesn't benefit town in almost any situation short of MYLO. The town has to lynch to win, and when it's at the earliest points of the game where a mislynch won't hurt town yet, using that lynch is an extremely good thing. Also, the night kills generally give nothing to work with, whereas lynches give us something to build suspicion from. Overall, it's in towns best benefit to lynch every non-mylo day.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
no lynching just removes towns only power. Lynching is what wins games. Flips are very informative more so than cop reports or any night actions.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
SLJ Mafia 2: Tom lynched D1, Mafia Aligned.

Nuff said.
Go take 20 random games from MS and find the % that landed a D1 scum lynch. In fact, I'll go do that now.

A) puts more pressure on scum day 1. If they know someeone is gonna be lynched out of desperation, they are going to be more careful, which can ve seen.
B) I hate no lynches.

I've hit scum d1 in 2/3 of my past games
It puts pressure on everyone. No one wants to die. Even moreso for town power roles than VTs.

Also, a no lynch doesn't benefit town in almost any situation short of MYLO. The town has to lynch to win, and when it's at the earliest points of the game where a mislynch won't hurt town yet, using that lynch is an extremely good thing. Also, the night kills generally give nothing to work with, whereas lynches give us something to build suspicion from. Overall, it's in towns best benefit to lynch every non-mylo day.
mislynches always hurt the town. Guess what, mislynch on Day 1, and then later on in Day 5 when you wish you had one more townie... o wait

no lynching just removes towns only power. Lynching is what wins games. Flips are very informative more so than cop reports or any night actions.
Town power roles is power. You also get the flip from the first night kill.
You said that flips are the most important info, so your taking a risk with lynching someone with no flip info on Day 1 when you could wait for Day 2 to be your first lynch and use the flip data from Night 1 to make a more intelligent decision.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Traditionally, town loses in case of a NL. At least on SWF. The info gotten from a lynch is almost always more helpful than saving a townie.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
mislynches don't hurt the town very much at all. Info inthread is better than nightaction/pr results.

If we say lynches are random. Then there is a certain percent of lynching scum. However scum have a NK which is 0% of lynching scum. If you NL, you remove one of towns chances to lynch scum. And thts only percent wise, the amount of info you get from flips is just so much more worth it.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Go take 20 random games from MS and find the % that landed a D1 scum lynch. In fact, I'll go do that now.
This is swf. We're smarter than the average MS person, especially in DGs.

It puts pressure on everyone. No one wants to die. Even moreso for town power roles than VTs.
Yes, but as town, you aren't worrying about screwing up. Mafia is.

mislynches always hurt the town. Guess what, mislynch on Day 1, and then later on in Day 5 when you wish you had one more townie... o wait
Wrong. They generally hurt in the short term, but lemme give you several examples:

A) FFVII Mafia. Day 3 (or 2 or 4, one of those). Town was completely convinced that Chill was mafia, but we couldn't get the votes together fast enough to lynch him, so we ended up no lynching. Mafia got a kill, as did the town vig who killed Chill. Turns out he was town. But if the Vig hadn't killed him, we would have gone into the next day and lynched chill, and then the mafia would have gotten to choose another kill. No lynch almost hurt us a ton.
B) Mafia jumps on the wagon of a d1 person, since nl isnt an option. We later come back and notice he suddenly switched onto said lynchee and lynch scum for it.
C) Everytime a mafia pushes a mislynch, they have to be wary of pushing further mislynches, which requires them to give more info to town, clear more townies in order to reach their night phases. No lynch is essentially a free nk for mafia.

Yada yada.

Town power roles is power. You also get the flip from the first night kill.
No, prs are an individual power. Lynches are the towns combined power, just like nks are the mafia's combined power. And at any rate, relying on PRs is a sure way to lose, as they won't always be there. Get good at mafia.

You said that flips are the most important info, so your taking a risk with lynching someone with no flip info on Day 1 when you could wait for Day 2 to be your first lynch and use the flip data from Night 1 to make a more intelligent decision.
Nowadays mafia either random nks, nks specifically to hide info, frames others with nks, or nks who everyone would nk in the situation. How exactly would we draw info from that?

You are trying to turn the scum's nk into a plus for town. Its not, and it never is.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea nks arent very informative at all anymore. Mafia is generally smart and will kill off someone that won't give town much new info.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
are you srs... lol ok....

New York
Mafia #100 - BloodCovenent, Vanilla Townie, Page 16, Post 380
/in-Vitational Game 4 - BridgesAndBaloons (Vanilla Townie) - lynched Day 1.
Mafia 99 - Killers Mafia - Devestator - Townie
Large Normal 92 - Mastin, a 3rd Party Lyncher, Lynched Day 1.
Mafia 94: Sickening Pimplicity - Pyromaniac, Mafia Goon, lynched Day 1
Open 144 - Near-Vanilla 2. Cephrir - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 1 7. Khamisa - Mafia Goon - Lynched Day 2

I'm already tired of pandering to your "go get data" so I'm going to stop at the 5 most recently completed mafia games at MS. 3 of them a townie was lynched d1. 2 of them scum was lynched d1. sixth game, townie was lynched and they used information to lynch mafia next day. seeing as how town vastly outnumbers scum, derp.

allowing the MAFIA to determine what information the town gets only via nightkills is dumb. come on, chibo.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Obviously lynching ppl to get flips helps the town a lot, but is there enough to go by on D1 to determine who is the best to lynch to get info off of? Except for crazy D1 happenings like Anime Mafia lol

I just feel like a lot of people lynch whoever on Day 1 for policy or for cause they did something stupid (which could totally be an accident, unless its like rly a legit scumtell).
Lynching on Day 1 to get the flip info is the best counter to this that I brought up. Tom's rebuttal of letting mafia choose what info the town gets is the best counter argument yet.

In that case, no one should be lynched Day 1 unless...
-There was a legit scumtell
or
-More about the game can easily be told from the players flip (like if that player had a lot of connections in D1)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Obviously lynching ppl to get flips helps the town a lot, but is there enough to go by on D1 to determine who is the best to lynch to get info off of? Except for crazy D1 happenings like Anime Mafia lol
Yes there is enough to go on on D1 to get a decent lynch. In Anime mafia, town was lynched Day 1, so I dont know what you mean.

I just feel like a lot of people lynch whoever on Day 1 for policy or for cause they did something stupid (which could totally be an accident, unless its like rly a legit scumtell).
Lynching on Day 1 to get the flip info is the best counter to this that I brought up. Tom's rebuttal of letting mafia choose what info the town gets is the best counter argument yet.

In that case, no one should be lynched Day 1 unless...
-There was a legit scumtell
or
-More about the game can easily be told from the players flip (like if that player had a lot of connections in D1)
Its only one counter argument of several that I hoped I wouldnt have to bring up and you would just accept that lynching day 1 is good.

basically, you have to look at it this way - the information on day 1 is only valuable with its accompanying flip. if you try to get the information without actually lynching, you get worthless information. if you use the information to try to get your best lynch, and then the lynch happens, not only did you use the information to try a lynch, but the information means even more with a flip and you can use it on day 2 to lynch even better.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
If I'm a day-vig, and someone suggests no-lynch, I will highly consider shooting them on the spot. No-lynch is horrible in any case besides Mylo. Spidey-mafia is the supreme example of this. We didn't get the lynch on D1, and we ended up chasing our tails the rest of the game. No-lynch really submarined town that game.

@Macman
You could try doing it the same way you hunt for mafias. I don't see a difference between scum and indy-tells.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
One big difference is mafia has multiple people working together whereas indies are working alone, so you can't possibly try to deduce relationships between players to find out who's independent.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If I'm a day-vig, and someone suggests no-lynch, I will highly consider shooting them on the spot. No-lynch is horrible in any case besides Mylo. Spidey-mafia is the supreme example of this. We didn't get the lynch on D1, and we ended up chasing our tails the rest of the game. No-lynch really submarined town that game.

@Macman
You could try doing it the same way you hunt for mafias. I don't see a difference between scum and indy-tells.
yeah... both of these paragraphs are kind of wrong

go read harry potter and the deathly mafia, Day 1, on why no lynches are sometimes okay... you shouldnt push for one all day, but when **** gets real and you feel that things have dissolved into two major possible lynches, and you are convinced that both are town, you can push a no lynch. thats just one example of when a bad strat is a decent strat.

also in spiderman mafia, if you want, i can point to a post of mine on day 1 where i listed my suspects and asked them questions and it was all of the mafia + one indy. so town didnt lose because of a no lynch, town lost because you didnt catch the scum.

also... you cant hunt for indys the same way you hunt for mafias. sure you can rebuke them / punish them for being on incorrect lynches, but indys do not develop any of the kind of connections that mafia do. indys could be on correct lynches for real reasons, as they actually scum hunted... what are you going to do then? ittl throw your whole scumdar off.

macman... just hunt for mafia. dont worry about hunting for indy. if you hunt for mafia and get all the mafia gone, sooner or later you will pick up on something that doesnt seem right and it could be an indy straggler.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Hunting for Indys really depends on your playstyle in general. Sometimes you really have to change your strat to hunt indies, sometimes you don't have to change that much. But in general, applying pressure is going to be much more important, and just look at how they play in general. Did they do a lot of wagon hopping, especially close to a deadline? Did they just seem absolutely desperate to find some sort of a lynch? Did they generally just try to blend into the background? But I'd say Tom is right: don't hunt independents any differently until all the mafia is dead.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Well, independent survivors (like in FF) and cult will draw connections, so you have to look at that too (but, it's almost the same as looking for mafia except without kills).

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
yea, so my spirit to write big posts/contribute lots is pretty much gone at this point

it's so much easier to sit by & just change votes every now and then

So what are some ideas/strategies for being convincing without posting a lot. Because like Anime/Newbie mafia felt like a waste & like Monster Island is like the only thing I've won as town. Man I suck at this. lol

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Don't feel bad Xiivi. I still haven't won. At all. Whether its indie roles siding with mafia or backup watchers or lack of counterclaims, something ALWAYS ruins me.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
see Marshy

I generally just go back and paraphrase instead of direct quoting and answering every post or making a case on every post.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
finally moved anime mafia here, good example of why I suck as town/have tried to not post long because it ends up being a waste/me being stupid
---
but yeah jungle, what are good debate stuff that makes you be convincing in condensed-ness. I tend to get flack whether I post a lot or I don't >_>

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
yea, so my spirit to write big posts/contribute lots is pretty much gone at this point

it's so much easier to sit by & just change votes every now and then

So what are some ideas/strategies for being convincing without posting a lot. Because like Anime/Newbie mafia felt like a waste & like Monster Island is like the only thing I've won as town. Man I suck at this. lol
Emphasis mine.
What do you mean by "it"? You can't mean "winning" because winning in a Mafia game is not an easy thing to do and "sitting by & change votes" will not make you win games. So what is it that you want to have an easier time at?

finally moved anime mafia here, good example of why I suck as town/have tried to not post long because it ends up being a waste/me being stupid.
Playing a good town game takes practise. How many times have you been town in your games? Monster Island is the only game you're confirmed town from what I've seen of you. I sucked in my first town games pretty hard - just get ***** as town once and you improve a lot (happened to me in Simpsons Mafia).
In AnimeMafia ... well you have been trying too hard to look for a scapegoat instead of actually finding scum. That's something MANY players confuse at first and a lot of new players are falling for it these days. Just play more and once you played a bunch of games as town you'll get the idea. I had to play like 5 or 6 games as town before I was able to play a D1 like I did in Monster Island Mafia. Be patient.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Hey gheb, I hope by emphasis mine you didn't mean to look at your playstyle. Because currently, you suck more than hando and KK of yore.

Xiivi, I know it may look like quite q few of the good players do exactly what you are proposing, but I can tell you right now just because their posts are short doesn't mean they are not taking the time to read or think about the game, which is of course the thing that takes the longest. In fact, for the most part, said conciseness if oftentimes the player keeping things to themselves until later. Hard truth is, if you don't want to spend a long time reading and seriously thinking about the game, you ain't gonna be good. So if you can do that, getting your posts shorter seems easy enough. Just don't get into quote wars and bring up o e point at a time.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Shut up Ronike. You've been playing this game since like 06 and you still suck. Good ****

Top Bottom