• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Ideas and Strategies

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
A place to discuss the Mafia games. Tactics, thoughts, basics, or views are allowed in here. You are not allowed to talk about a game in progress. Perhaps you noticed something in a game and thought it'd be cool to acknowledge. Or maybe someone used a strategy against you and you want to warn others. Or maybe you want to say that strategies are stupid and everyone should work on a day-by-day plan. All of that goes here. Post questions here if you have them, though don't do so if you are currently in a game and could just ask them there.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I have always wanted to have such an organized town in a game to carry out the idea for the cop to come out after night 1 with his investigation and then the doctor and all other healing characters would put their ability on that cop so that he couldn't be killed. Then this tactic could be used until the whole cast is revealed. Easy picking from there.

Downfall, somehow the mafia gets there first and organizes themselves to have one of them claim to be a cop and maybe even sacrifice one of the mafia to solidify this position, consequently all of the doctor roles will be wasted on the mafia member.

Still, an interesting idea.

agentli

Smash Apprentice
I always liked the "Use effect on yourself in order to prove you're town" kind of safeguard if you're mafia or independent. But then again, sometimes it backfires and then you're screwed.

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
I've seen some crazy strategies in my time.

In one game, a player (Who was the doctor) lied his way through the town and stated he was the cop.

He made up investigated roles, and they all turned out to be correct. Every night, the mafia would try to kill him, but being the doctor, he always saved himself. Needless to say, the town won easily. I would not recomend this strategy unless you are mad good at reading players and have a great knack of imagination and intelligence.

Another cool strategy I saw was imployed by a mafia player. He would go to "Frame Up" a player, by killing off a certain player's suspects. The kicker is that the next day he would be the one to suggest that the player was being framed! I modded that game and couldn't believe his strategy. Again, not for a beginner mafia player, but a cool idea none the less.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Some basic stuff

If you're mafia, always try and lynch the person that you think is the most suspicious, not the person that is the deadliest to the mafia. Save those for night kills. If you try and lynch someone that's been getting mafia members (or is just an intelligent person), you're doing it wrong.

If you're town, look for those that try to lead. Not all of them are bad, of course, but if there are several people that are the most influential, chances are at least one of them is mafia.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I absolutely agree, that is the correct strategy to take, during the day just act like a normal townie with normal strategies and normal suspicions. Try to look at everyone with the pretense that they are a mafia member even though you know he isn't. Then night time is when you should do what you need to do.

Just to reiterate what Eor said.

Also, a very basic strategy for an independent with killing ability, look for two people that always bicker with each other and then kill the less aggressive one. You will get more kills that way because after a few days people will see that whoever argues with this person is killed and then they will lynch the aggressive arguer thinking he is the killer. Don't waste your kills on people that you think will already be lynched. Independent is my favorite role to have, I have studied it extensively, in fact, I got to the final 5 in South Park mafia as an independent with no mafia members left, if I remember correctly.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I should also add that you shouldn't take anything here as a 100% "always do this" rule. Everything here is more of a guideline. If you see an opening to lynch someone that's intelligent, and believe that you can survive the fallout (if you're mafia), then do so. I did that for Ligolski in SP mafia, and the mafia did it to Frozenflame in Lost Mafia. It's just that most of the times, that won't work.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Heh, whenever I read threads like this I always chuckle a bit. The very action of revealing strategies to everyone and discussing them makes them that much more predictable. Once that happens, they cease to be good strategies no? Then again, if everyone is expecting these strategies then you can do other things and have success with that as well.

It's all about the Yomi leveling people. XP

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I've noticed that nearly every mafia game starts with "joke votes", but rarely are they funny. Most likely, it'll only be funny to you and the person you vote for (not guaranteed), with everybody else thinking it's lame. It's fine at first, but it can sometimes be annoying, especially if it snowballs and hampers the game. Well, unless you like reading through half a page of people placing worthless votes on each other and saying something in caps.

It doesn't bother me that much, but the term "joke vote" is really misleading, because it probably won't make many people laugh. If anything, it should be called an elbow nudge vote, since I always like to imagine the peoples' avatars nudging elbows and grinning at each other while everybody else just ignores them. It's kind of like holding up a sign saying that the post is worthless (like this), that way it'll be a lot easier for people to weed out the useless posts from ones that might actually help with something.

I hope this helps you win your next mafia game.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I don't get that argument in reply to, "It was just a joke."
"Well, it wasn't funny."
Just because it isn't funny doesn't mean it wasn't a joke. A joke is still a joke if no one is laughing. It needs only to be intended for amusement or laughter.

Just a pet peeve of mine for people to say that. Nothing against you personally Marshigio.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
stop trying to name claim. It is probablly the worst idea ever pretending you know more than you do about the game base machanics is never a good idea.

Also, bump.

Smash Master
I don't like the strategy of killing the most influential player. This inhibits discussion, and ultimately makes the game less fun.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unfortunately that is a very basic and obvious strategy for mafias and SKs. Killing leaders makes the town loose direction and focus which is exactly what they want.

Probably the most interesting yet agonizing strategy I've ever seen is this guy on MafiaScum named BabyJesus.

The guy has the most ridiculous scumdar I've every seen (every game I've read with him it it he's called out almost all the mafia, when he's town that is) yet he is the least helpful and least constructive player I've seen. He'll literally just post one liners and vote. He never explains his votes or is reasoning for his actions. He's impossible to read because he never provides anything of substance. The guy is just crazy good at reading people, but never allows himself to be read because he never posts anything of substance. He's like a pinpoint sniper that you can never trust, but want to, because when he's on your side he basically hands you the win.

Asking him to explain things doesn't get you anywhere either. In response he'll just post NOT HELPFUL in big bold letter accompanied by a giant red X.

I supposed he's the perfect definition of someone who is "crazy good". =P

Superstar

Smash Champion
I got to look at BabyJesus myself. Dayum.

Joke Votes, while eh, beat the alternative, game flat out dying. Hard to get a game really going without the joke votes. It's possible, but harder.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
what do people think of breadcrumbing?

I think its dumb, well not really dumb, but I don't see how breadcrumbing something like yur role makes you seem more townish. If breadcrumbing starts becoming more common, people will start trying to look for people who do this.

Also, day 1 mafia could just say breadcrumb alot of roles in obscure ways, so they can pick from one later on when they need to fake claim.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just wanted to ask why everyone these days who mods a game demands chat transcripts for out of thread discussion. I don't get, it's a such a pointless and just plain dumb rule.

What are you trying to accomplish by making logs mandatory? Are you trying to prevent illegal discussion or something? You realize that chat logs can be tampered with right?

I honestly think it's a useless rule that places an unnecessary burden on those people who can communicate outside of the thread.

Is there some amazing reason or use for transcripts that I'm missing?

Handorin

Smash Hero
I just wanted to ask why everyone these days who mods a game demands chat transcripts for out of thread discussion. I don't get, it's a such a pointless and just plain dumb rule.

What are you trying to accomplish by making logs mandatory? Are you trying to prevent illegal discussion or something? You realize that chat logs can be tampered with right?

I honestly think it's a useless rule that places an unnecessary burden on those people who can communicate outside of the thread.

Is there some amazing reason or use for transcripts that I'm missing?
I took it out of my Rules simply because I don't need the spam and I get actions anyways. I dont need much more.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I do it because it is really fun to read what people talk about.
I think that's the main reason. It started from adventure games where the GM needed to know because other people can listen in, then I think people added it to mafia games because they wanted to know/just took it anyways

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
yup. i usually ask for them so i can have a little more fun knowing whats going on.

smashbot226

Smash Master
So, here's the plot for my Team Fortress 2 Mafia story so far:

"ATTENTION! ATTENTION! RED TEAM IN BASE!" The Heavy looked up from his half-eaten sandvich, bewildered. He looks farther down the corridor to see an onrushing Soldier-Medic pair, with the Soldier's toothy and maniacal grin welcoming the Heavy's cries or help.

A quick pull of a trigger, a flash, an exertion. The missile streams down the hall, as it lands on its mark- the Heavy's blundering, bloated mess of a body, sending chunks of skin and bone everywhere.

The Soldier gave a quick battle cry as the Medic announced, "I am fully charged!" A shame he failed to see the blue blur behind him... As it formed into a Spy, knife equipped, and drove it into the Medic's larynx, killing him instantly in near utter silence, even in this stonewall arena. Just then, the Soldier grunted impatiently and roared,

"CHARGE ME, DOC!"

"Obliged." The Spy flipped his butterfly knife between his fingers once more and thrust his knife into the Soldier's neck, as the armored nut yelled in pain. The Spy quickly withdrew his knife and stabbed again, into the Soldier's throat, then ripped off the kook's helmet and finally drove his now completely red knife into the Soldier's bald head, spouting a fountain of blood, as some of the bitter red splattered onto the Spy's gloves, as he tuts at the corpse, in an irate tone, "You got blood on my suit!"

By then, the rest of RED managed to reach the Prison- holding many, many RED units and Civilians. Swiftly unlocking each of the cells, they gathered supplies for the walk home...

As the titanium, 3000 ton doors closed on them, leaving them alone and isolated in this desolate area of Fiction, Pen Island. A Spy spoke out once again, stating, "Gentlemen. It seems I am not the only spy. Some have trapped us, survivors amongst the masses."

A Sniper sniffs the air around him and states, "Too right, mate. Seems like we missed a couple. That ain't good, he could be anybody here. Could've swapped clothes with a RED corpse!" An excitable Medic pointed an accusing finger at the Sniper and retorted, "How do you know this, dummkopf? Zee odds ov meesseeng ANYVUN are SLEEM! Vat does not geev us veason to kill you, Spy?!?"

A Pyro steps forward and negotiates, "Mmmph! Mmph mrrmph. Mrrmmmrmmmph mrrmph mph. MMMMPMH MRRRPM."

Everyone else in the prison nods their heads in agreement, deciding on the Pyro's well-thought out plan. They would stay alive for as long as possible... or until the traitors get them all.

Top Bottom