• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
A smash club meeting isn't a good place to practice basic techskill anyways. you'll be distracted and not focused for the ~15 minutes it takes to learn a technique. it IS a good informal setting to practice applying your new tech skill in a match, though.

We have several players who are just reaching the cusp of the casual mountain and starting to climb the competitive one; new people interested in playing seriously would have plenty of opponents near enough to their level that they wouldn't be frustrated.

Two separate things and if there is anyone, you sent them over. It's not that hard to keep them separate.

People can learn on their own time anyway. If playing people who are worse than yourself bothers anybody, then just give it a year. I never touched melee at all until coming here and as far as I know, neither did frank at least where 1v1 matches were concerned. One year later, this is where we are now.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I think playing against people worse than you helps you improve more than playing people at your skill level. Playing people better than you is still the best way to improve once you have tech skill.

john!

Smash Hero
i have a serious question for some of the relatively inexperienced players that go to these smashfests. when i play against you guys, i tend to use my secondaries/low tiers so that you can at least do somewhat well against me and have a fairly close match. if i played my best characters instead and tried hard to win as much as possible every game, would you have more fun and learn at a faster pace, or would it not be fun and you wouldn't learn anything? i dunno how many of you read this thread so i might not get any responses.

vintage

Smash Cadet
i have a serious question for some of the relatively inexperienced players that go to these smashfests. when i play against you guys, i tend to use my secondaries/low tiers so that you can at least do somewhat well against me and have a fairly close match. if i played my best characters instead and tried hard to win as much as possible every game, would you have more fun and learn at a faster pace, or would it not be fun and you wouldn't learn anything? i dunno how many of you read this thread so i might not get any responses.
Playing a wider selection of characters and having closer matches is usually going to be more fun. I will enjoy the variety and the occasional win. I will also enjoy getting a chance to play characters other than my main without getting butt *****.

However, if I'm just trying to improve my main, then this will be counter productive and possibly annoying. You will learn more by playing the characters that people usually play in matches, getting owned by those characters, and slowly learning how to not get owned.

Although, that being said, if you are just 4-stocking someone over and over then you might want to go like 80% or play more of a teaching match. That's what I do in chess against weaker opponents and people who want to improve find this to be fun/helpful.

@John: Use whoever. Honestly, I have no idea how to play against peach or really any of the characters you use normally. So every match I play against you usually ends up being bad no matter what (recall pichu vs marth lol). I have no idea what to do and it takes forever before I actually start learning what I'm doing wrong.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
As long as you know how to use the character you're playing against me moderately well it will help me learn the matchup and it's fine. And as Vintage said, winning sometimes is fun lol.

And Oro, Frootloop has been playing for a year now.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
hey Oro, I've been playing competitively for almost a year, but I had tech skill before that because I played btt for a while which used l canceling, wavedashing and the like

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Playing a wider selection of characters and having closer matches is usually going to be more fun. I will enjoy the variety and the occasional win. I will also enjoy getting a chance to play characters other than my main without getting butt *****.

However, if I'm just trying to improve my main, then this will be counter productive and possibly annoying. You will learn more by playing the characters that people usually play in matches, getting owned by those characters, and slowly learning how to not get owned.

Although, that being said, if you are just 4-stocking someone over and over then you might want to go like 80% or play more of a teaching match. That's what I do in chess against weaker opponents and people who want to improve find this to be fun/helpful.
no. I completely disagree. I would rather have someone 3-4 stock me over 2-3 hours again, and again, because thats where your force to think, wow what can I do to adapt to this? they show your bad habits the most.

Ryan, where you at?!

Also, Sam, how are you going to set-up Wednesday night at the kohl center. My calender says it's 5-8 which I can make. Also, I can make like the last 30 minutes on mon/wed. to play at your place.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I saw that advanced how to play video last spring/summer, so I wavedashed and lcanceled for break the targets, dashdancing/ledgehop stuff I didn't use because it's worthless for btt. September was the first time I played with AT's with someone else who knew about them. My first tournament was in november

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Erik, setup is from 3:45-4:45, so I'm going to get there at like 4:30, bring your wii and both games by 5:00. I'll bring paper for the email list. Anything else you think we need?

Alright. I have a class until 4:20 that day, so I'll head down after it. I cannot think of anything else that probably wouldn't already be provided. I'm guessing your bringing your TV or they provide one? Hell, I should bring an SD card for a hacked version of brawl. Brawl- for the lulz. Awkwardly drawn character sprites on the character selection screen.

is anyone going to geek kon this weekend?
*google's geek kon*
I didn't know there was such a thing going on in Madison.
is **** illegal in wisconsin? because thats what the badgers are doing this year, :D

Erik: I have work until 5 Wednesday, so you'll need to hold it down for 45 minutes or so by yourself.
lol Ok. Is there anything else you need to tell me? Or can I pretty much go in and set-up anywhere and other stuff will be provided for us?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Smash Thursday is in the Governance room, the same room we were in last week across from the computer lab on the 2nd floor of Union South. You can park pretty much anywhere on the street or in a numbered parking lot for free after 6PM.

Smash Wednesday at Kohl Center . Smash Thursday at Union South. Smash Friday at Ogg. Smash Saturday at Upper Gulley Carson. Busy week.

Also, how does everyone do their air lag canceling? Do you all light press L or R. Perhaps you click it. Or maybe use Z?

Oh, just another of those gaming nights. I'm surprised to see it happening so early in the semester. Not another tournament, but because of that I could probably swap out brawl for melee ;p

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Wednesday is the student org fair for freshman to find student orgs to join. Erik and I are going to play smash to attract people and stuff. Come if you wanna play between 5 and 8. Friday is the University gaming night at Ogg hall, which always has a Melee setup in the corner. Saturday is, well, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305762.

You're coming to IMDB, right BlazingFury?

Top Bottom