• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider, Rides Again For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Mach Rider is being rated in the RTC thread! Come show your support for her!

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this game was the last chance Mach Rider had for some reason. I was hyped about their inclusion when the Grinch leak came about, but when that was deconfirmed, I felt Mach Rider would never see their time in Smash. I still think Geno and Isaac have a chance for the next game, though!

I'd really, really love Mach Rider, I've supported the idea since before that fake leak, and would love to see what moveset he/she would bring to the table!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like this game was the last chance Mach Rider had for some reason. I was hyped about their inclusion when the Grinch leak came about, but when that was deconfirmed, I felt Mach Rider would never see their time in Smash. I still think Geno and Isaac have a chance for the next game, though!

I'd really, really love Mach Rider, I've supported the idea since before that fake leak, and would love to see what moveset he/she would bring to the table!
At least Sak has an affinity for the NES era. Most old underused characters from any console upwards are SOL until further notice.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think Mach Rider still has a chance in future installments. As long as there is a retro rep, Mach Rider could easily fill the role. Helps that the Grinch Leak made her more well known.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Call me crazy but saying you feel Mach Rider is done for but Geno still has a chance makes me laugh. At least MR is 100% owned in house.

No forgotten character is done for until Nintendo decides they are completely forgotten and scrubbed from history. And as far as we know, that’s never happened. Or it happened so well we don’t know about it....

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what do you guys think a modern Mach Rider game would be like? Ever since Kid Icarus came back from the grave, I think this question has become a great motivator for retro rep fans.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, Grinch got me invested a lot into Mach Rider.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, what do you guys think a modern Mach Rider game would be like? Ever since Kid Icarus came back from the grave, I think this question has become a great motivator for retro rep fans.
For some reason, I'm thinking a Mad Max game but with combat from Bayonetta.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’d think a 3rd person “slightly on rails” shooter. Throw in some action race-like bits and maybe a twisted metal esque combat arena/multiplayer and we got something here

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, mayhaps something like the recent Mad Max and Fist of the North Star games. It'd write itself; play in an open-world story setting while wandering from town to town, while coming under attack by thug drivers on occasion.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, Grinch got me invested a lot into Mach Rider.
Same. The leak got me to look into the character more than the brief glance I had originally given her, and I easily became a fan.
For some reason, I'm thinking a Mad Max game but with combat from Bayonetta.
I also think Mad Max: Fury Road has also contributed to more people seeing the potential in this character. The driving is a must, but on ground combat would also be fitting of the setting.
I’d think a 3rd person “slightly on rails” shooter. Throw in some action race-like bits and maybe a twisted metal esque combat arena/multiplayer and we got something here
That sounds like a whole lot of fun.
Hmm, mayhaps something like the recent Mad Max and Fist of the North Star games. It'd write itself; play in an open-world story setting while wandering from town to town, while coming under attack by thug drivers on occasion.
Would definitely be a cool thing to have as a Nintendo IP. Could also fit into a good Switch format.

I just wonder what sort of nature the game would adopt about it's setting. Kid Icarus become fully self aware about it's nature, so I wonder if Mach Rider would do something similar.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think a Sin & Punishment style on-rails shooter, with some Nier: Automata angle changes to keep it interesting visually and in gameplay. I’d also add an open world (open road?) and have missions connect seamlessly through it. Multiple paths are a must.

As for whether it’d go self-aware like Uprising, I think not, as I’d expect Mach Rider to stay a silent character. Personally, I would go with a nostalgia, punk-rock driven style to keep it from being too serious.

On foot combat, I dunno about that. I’d leave a Platinum style reboot to another IP like Murasame Castle. I’d go for a simpler God of War or maybe Spider-Man style combat, but I’d actually like it to be a Contra, 2D run and gun affair, with some use of Mach’s disintegration ability for puzzle-platforming purposes, like Bionic Commando.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just wonder what sort of nature the game would adopt about it's setting. Kid Icarus become fully self aware about it's nature, so I wonder if Mach Rider would do something similar.
Eh, not really. It worked for Kid Icarus, because KI as a whole is inherently silly.

For Mach Rider, I suppose you could try to find out exactly why the planet's being assaulted by the aliens and their Quadrunners. Bit of a mystery angle, if you will, in an endless quest for answers as you try to save as many refugees as possible.

Although yeeting aliens FOTNS style would be fun, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for whether it’d go self-aware like Uprising, I think not, as I’d expect Mach Rider to stay a silent character. Personally, I would go with a nostalgia, punk-rock driven style to keep it from being too serious.
Why do you think Mach Rider would be silent in a new game?
Eh, not really. It worked for Kid Icarus, because KI as a whole is inherently silly.

For Mach Rider, I suppose you could try to find out exactly why the planet's being assaulted by the aliens and their Quadrunners. Bit of a mystery angle, if you will, in an endless quest for answers as you try to save as many refugees as possible.

Although yeeting aliens FOTNS style would be fun, not gonna lie.
I don't think a modern Mach Rider would be as self aware and silly as KI, but I don't think the game would be as serious as the Mad Max like setting would indicate.

Another question for a modern Mach Rider, what would be Mach Riders gender? I know one thing that got me to look into the character some more was the discovery that they may be female, but it is by no means officially confirmed. And I imagine that a new game might be a reboot of sorts, so its really up in the air what could happen when it comes to the character itself.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I don't think a modern Mach Rider would be as self aware and silly as KI, but I don't think the game would be as serious as the Mad Max like setting would indicate.

Another question for a modern Mach Rider, what would be Mach Riders gender? I know one thing that got me to look into the character some more was the discovery that they may be female, but it is by no means officially confirmed. And I imagine that a new game might be a reboot of sorts, so its really up in the air what could happen when it comes to the character itself.
I mean, even FOTNS itself has silly moments, to be fair (three words: post-apocalyptic games). While I don't expect any fourth-wall breaks, there can be moments and scenes of levity to keep things from being too dead serious.

In terms of MR's regenerating ability, this can be used as an evasive counter/dodge tactic that needs good timing to pull off.

The character's identity really is the biggest question. I think one clever way to hide it for the most part would be to have a voice modulator in their helmet, if you really need to have them talk every so often.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's an idea. Have it be a sort of legacy thing. Basically, have it so that the name "Mach Rider" doesn't refer to one specific person, but rather anyone who cares enough to take up the mantle, kinda like with superheroes. That way, we can say that both versions of Mach Rider are canon: they're not the same person.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, even FOTNS itself has silly moments, to be fair (three words: post-apocalyptic games). While I don't expect any fourth-wall breaks, there can be moments and scenes of levity to keep things from being too dead serious.

In terms of MR's regenerating ability, this can be used as an evasive counter/dodge tactic that needs good timing to pull off.

The character's identity really is the biggest question. I think one clever way to hide it for the most part would be to have a voice modulator in their helmet, if you really need to have them talk every so often.
Although I have not played the series, what if they did something similar to DMC in tone? I also don't think they would hide Mach Rider's identity. Hiding stuff like that in this day in age is kinda impossible.
Here's an idea. Have it be a sort of legacy thing. Basically, have it so that the name "Mach Rider" doesn't refer to one specific person, but rather anyone who cares enough to take up the mantle, kinda like with superheroes. That way, we can say that both versions of Mach Rider are canon: they're not the same person.
You know, I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking about how they did something similar in that F-Zero anime. The idea could also lead into some great story potential.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although I have not played the series, what if they did something similar to DMC in tone? I also don't think they would hide Mach Rider's identity. Hiding stuff like that in this day in age is kinda impossible.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking about how they did something similar in that F-Zero anime. The idea could also lead into some great story potential.
Well, that's fair. How early on should it be shown? They could pull a hat trick by having two people don the identity at different points in the story.

DMC tone can work tho.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, that's fair. How early on should it be shown? They could pull a hat trick by having two people don the identity at different points in the story.

DMC tone can work tho.
I think it would be more along the lines that there would be an the old Mach Rider and a new Mach Rider.

When it comes to tone, this hypothetical game could easily be either a serious protag in a not so serious world(It is an invasion of an alien race that specifically uses automobiles) or a not so serious protag in a serious world(Mach Rider is fighting aliens on a bike while looking like a daredevil). I am fine with either.

Edit:
I will say, if they were to go with the legacy idea, that means we could see the full variety of Mach Rider designs as well.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman

Quite a few official Nintendo sources portray Mach Rider as female. The Captain Rainbow character model (though not in official game) should be all the evidence we need as it was created by official Nintendo developers. To me that means MR is a woman.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Quite a few official Nintendo sources portray Mach Rider as female. The Captain Rainbow character model (though not in official game) should be all the evidence we need as it was created by official Nintendo developers. To me that means MR is a woman.
Although the costume itself has stylistic liberties taken.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22909469

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I dunno, I imagine Mach Rider being the stoic, silent badass, and keep in the tradition of silent Nintendo protagonists.

And that would also keep Mach Rider’s gender and identity ambiguous. I think that’s the way to go with Mach Rider. Keep people guessing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
True.
I dunno, I imagine Mach Rider being the stoic, silent badass, and keep in the tradition of silent Nintendo protagonists.

And that would also keep Mach Rider’s gender and identity ambiguous. I think that’s the way to go with Mach Rider. Keep people guessing.
I can understand that, but I think it would be more interesting if they did have them speak. That way they can have the character pull off bad*** actions and lines. Or maybe it's because I see Mach Rider being kinda crass and I want Nintendo to try that out.

I will say, it would be kinda hard to hide Mach Rider's gender depending on the suit they use in this modern era of highly detailed models. Both the in game daredevil suit and the box art suit would be more than enough to reveal their body shape(This is assuming that the box art suit is at least a little bit similar to the jumpsuit that Mach Rider wears in that one poster). I guess the Melee design is the best when it comes to making things ambiguous, but would it be enough and would they go for it?
In game suit:

Box art suit:

The poster suit:
I tried to put the image in, but apparently Smashboards can't handle poster Mach Rider.

The Melee suit:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>”The people behind Mach Rider said that they wanted the girl present in one of the shots as the girlfriend of the character, so he must be a boy!”
*travelling back to one or two years ago*
>”The team behind Super Mario World said that they intended to make Mario punch Yoshi at first, so that means that Mario mistreats Yoshi!”

Declarations about the concepts that the team of the game had at first ==/== official confirmation.

Just like Nintendo scrapped the idea of making Mario punch Yoshi, the company can also affirm that Mach Rider is a girl without any trouble (and they kind of did with an old official poster from a japanese magazine and Captain Rainbow).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
>”The people behind Mach Rider said that they wanted the girl present in one of the shots as the girlfriend of the character, so he must be a boy!”
*travelling back to one or two years ago*
>”The team behind Super Mario World said that they intended to make Mario punch Yoshi at first, so that means that Mario mistreats Yoshi!”

Declarations about the concepts that the team of the game had at first ==/== official confirmation.

Just like Nintendo scrapped the idea of making Mario punch Yoshi, the company can also affirm that Mach Rider is a girl without any trouble (and they kind of did with an old official poster from a japanese magazine and Captain Rainbow).
Interesting, where did that girlfriend declaration come from?

D

Deleted member

Interesting, where did that girlfriend declaration come from?
I heard that it came from an interview with someone behind the original Mach Rider game.

But as I said, it doesn’t mean a lot even if that is true.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I heard that it came from an interview with someone behind the original Mach Rider game.

But as I said, it doesn’t mean a lot even if that is true.
Well, I agree with that. I wonder where this interview even is, and if true, why did they have the girlfriend alone rather than have her with Mach Rider. That just makes confusing context.

D

Deleted member

Well, I agree with that. I wonder where this interview even is, and if true, why did they have the girlfriend alone rather than have her with Mach Rider. That just makes confusing context.
I feel like that statement ended up like the “Mario punches Yoshi” one from Mario World’s team.

They planned to do it, but Nintendo made it look ambiguous enough to retcon that idea.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like that statement ended up like the “Mario punches Yoshi” one from Mario World’s team.

They planned to do it, but Nintendo made it look ambiguous enough to retcon that idea.
Yeah, and as you said, the poster and Captain Rainbow kinda proved that they did retcon it.

Top Bottom