• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Brilliant moveset. It could almost work ( besides difficult stuff like "What happens when he's attacked while he's not in contact with his bike like in one of the b moves" ).
Except *braces for flaming* that Mach Rider is still just a muscular guy on a bike.
Uh...just have the bike return by itself (a la Nana). On the other hand, there's only one instance where that could happen, so I think they'd be better off just changing what B does.

And yeah, he's a muscly dude on a mototcycle...but C. Falcon's just a muscly guy in a racecar, right? And Pit's just a little kid in a toga. Nintendo characters in general aren't that original; what sets them apart is their awesome gameplay, which Mach Rider has in spades.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Correction. Mach Rider is a bada** muscular guy on a bike.

Mario and Luigi are both just plumbers that can jump high. Peach is just a princess with nothing really going for her at all, and she turned out to be a higher tier character. Captain Falcon is just a muscular guy in a... well, whatever that is. The point is, he doesn't have to be an extrordinary character with an interesting background to be a great character. Anyone who makes it in Brawl is bound to have a fanbase no matter what their abilities are, they just have to kick arse and take names.

I'm the only one on this thread so far that has flamed anybody, but that was for a whole other reason. Besides, people who post their thoughts actually help the thread, keeping it from dying. (This one was on its last legs until Lord Deathborne came back. Just in time.)

Lord Deathborne, I like the moves and I think they are very creative, (I don't think I could come up with anything better) but they, sadly, would never be used. And the "Neutral B" move would draw too many comparisons to Captain Falcon. Which is, so far, the biggest complaint about Mach Rider making it into SSBB.

Fawriel

Smash Master
And yeah, he's a muscly dude on a mototcycle...but C. Falcon's just a muscly guy in a racecar, right?
Did I happen to mention that I hate Captain Falcon with a passion?

And Pit's just a little kid in a toga.
Pit is an angel, which has to count for something, and he probably did some cool stuff. Being a NES(?) character kind of makes one immune to personality, but he has potential.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Pit is an angel, which has to count for something, and he probably did some cool stuff
He's actually a cherub I believe. I think he's somewhat based off Cupid, due to all the greek mythology references in his game.

And what's wrong with muscular guys? It's not like we're overcrowded with them in Smash. I don't see how him being muscular makes him an instant Falcon clone anyway.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hey, no fair, posting a few seconds before me!

Anyway, to me, personality is THE most important thing about a SSB character. The personality and background is what sets it apart from other fighting games, where characters' personalities can be summed up in one word, or even just a scale of "how badass" they are.
Mario is not just a plumber who can jump high, he's one of the principal heroes of the gaming world, he's had more adventures than can be counted on the collective fingers of a small rockband and he just has that weird charme about him that helped him survive for so many years. He is ABSURD. A short, fat plumber who fights against a demon dragon to rescue the princess of a kingdom of mushrooms!
That is also the reason why Peach kicks so much butt. Most characters in the game are practically one-man armies. A princess would normally be frail and useless in a battle, but she gets to be powerful because it's just so beautifully absurd. That's cartoony logic!

To end my argument, being powerful is the worst argument for a character there is. Hardly anyone knew Fire Emblem before SSBM and Starfox was never THAT popular, but everyone suddenly LOVES Marth and Fox. I wonder why.
If Nintendo just created the best possible character, he'd definitely garner a fanbase, whether he's a knight or a pile of puke that moves with telepathic powers.

Sorry, that last paragraph is pretty extreme. I like exaggerations, they are just so much fun. No offense. *grins*

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
^^Yeah, I see your point.

I don't think Mach Rider deserves to make it into Brawl, (he probably isn't going to anyway) but he would be a pretty awesome inclusion, especially with Lord Deathborne's moveset. Like I said earlier, at the very least, he could be a Captain Falcon-like character that would appeal to an entirely different audience (like myself).

I too, hate Captain Falcon. Well, not him or his games, (I love the F-Zero series. They're just isn't very many ballsy racing games left anymore, or at least ones that are GOOD. :) ) but I dislike his moveset and basically, the entire way he was implemented into SSB. BUT, he does have a weird charm to him that alot of players like. And like you yourself said: personality is one of the most important things for a Super Smash Bros. character.

crazyq42

Smash Rookie
he looks like too much of a falcon clone but the made him slower and more powerful(like fox and wolf) then yeah

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
crazyq42 said:
make him slower and more powerful
You wouldn't make Sonic slow but powerful would you? If anything, they'd slow down C. Falcon and make Mach a speedster.

Not saying they should/could/would clone him, but in a hypothetical scenario...that's what they'd do.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Ridiculously awesome character idea, I support it!

Also; Jigglysama kicks some ***

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I know this thread just got brought back from the dead but...

Did I happen to mention that I hate Captain Falcon with a passion?
What's with people hating characters/series "with a passion"?? I think the only characters you should be able to hate with a passion are Fox, Sheik, Marth and Peach...but that's just my opinion.

And since this thread did get revived: I wouldn't mind Mach with or without his bike or some combination of the two. This thread also made me realize how Falcon really did get almost an entirely new moveset (or at least several new/replaced moves) from 64 to Melee. I wouldn't mind a character like this picking up some of those old moves again...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I have a strange feeling that statement has something to do with me..............

Oh well, nevermind. Glad to see this thread has risen from the dead. Mach Rider for Brawl.
Nah, it just seems like I see it everywhere I look. (I almost didn't recognize you with that umbrella? avatar)

As I said, though...I think it'd be cool if someone inherited C. Falcon's moveset from 64 (the ones he didn't keep going into Melee).

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Prefer Marilyn Monroe better? Well, since you said that, I'll switch it back.

On topic: Mach Rider needs to stop being compared to Captain Falcon or I am going to shoot up this entire thread. Or website for that matter.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
On topic: Mach Rider needs to stop being compared to Captain Falcon or I am going to shoot up this entire thread. Or website for that matter.
I'll agree to that.

But, I was just reading through the moveset and I remember Falcon's old smashes and tilts and aerials...I wouldn't mind if someone got those. Also, I wouldn't mind if Mach just simply had his motorcycle and used that for his moves.

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
I'll agree to that.

But, I was just reading through the moveset and I remember Falcon's old smashes and tilts and aerials...I wouldn't mind if someone got those. Also, I wouldn't mind if Mach just simply had his motorcycle and used that for his moves.
Sign me up there too, I don't think Mach Rider should be Captain Falcon: Mach Rider edition. I'll bet the Brawl team could come up with a great character that centers around his motorcycle. Actually, somebody posted a motorcycle-based moveset for Mach Rider, I'll have to track it down.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The bike idea is just plain awesome. Mach Rider would be large (Bowser's size) and on the heavier side, but with speed. That could be a winning combination.

I think one of his toward B moves should be a clothesline where he navigates his bike to the side (like a dodge) and extends his arm. Any character standing gets knocked onto their back (or stomach depending if the arm hits them on the front or back). Of course the attack should not be as quick as a dodge and should have some ending lag because the move itself is defensive (Mach Rider can only be hit by Down Smashes) and offensive.

I really hope Sakurai tries to go for this.

If he has to, he can redesign the bike so Mach Rider is partially inside it like a kayak. Remember it is from the future and Sakurai did a major overhaul on Pit. So he could do the same for Mach Rider.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im hoping he doesnt have the motorcycle moveset, how would he grab a ledge, double jump, and how can a little guy like kirby throw machrider if hes on the cycle? Im going with plain fighter Mach Rider...

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
The motorcycle based moveset was Chief Mendez's. Me and him got in an argument about that. It was pretty funny, but we edited it all later on...
Thank you, I remember now. Mendez has been coming up with some great movesets recently (yay Simon!) :chuckle:

Im hoping he doesnt have the motorcycle moveset, how would he grab a ledge, double jump, and how can a little guy like kirby throw machrider if hes on the cycle? Im going with plain fighter Mach Rider...
Well, while the idea of cycle Mach Rider seems really cool (and I love his bike from the Melee trophy...heck, I like his personal reimagining too :laugh:), I'd be perfectly happy with a unique standalone Mach Rider moveset. My biggest worry is that he'd be too similar to Captain Falcon if the standalone route is chosen.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
I will be happy if he makes it, even as a falcon clone. I'm thinking.......maybe...mach rider will become the new falcon clone and ganon will be redone with the sword.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
*Pulls out machine gun and mows down everyone in the thread*

*Wipes away the back splatter of blood from face*

Enough. No more comparing Mach Rider to Captain Falcon. The only thing that they share in common is that they are both buff dudes who ride futuristic motor vehicles at high speeds. The similarities stop there. I'm sure that Sakurai and his team can make a unique moveset for Mach Rider that won't draw any comparisons to that of Captain Falcon's.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
*Pulls out machine gun and mows down everyone in the thread*

*Wipes away the back splatter of blood from face*

Enough. No more comparing Mach Rider to Captain Falcon. The only thing that they share in common is that they are both buff dudes who ride futuristic motor vehicles at high speeds. The similarities stop there. I'm sure that Sakurai and his team can make a unique moveset for Mach Rider that won't draw any comparisons to that of Captain Falcon's.
Mach Rider has a gun...apparently.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Enough. No more comparing Mach Rider to Captain Falcon. The only thing that they share in common is that they are both buff dudes who ride futuristic motor vehicles at high speeds. The similarities stop there.
Too bad that's all the personality they have.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
i like it, but i think 15 seconds is more appropriate for the super. still a good idea.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Mach Rider has a gun...apparently.

Apparently so...

Anyways, I'm glad to see that this thread is getting some attention again, but I still don't see appeal with the Mach Rider w/ motorcycle moveset... As Stryks pointed out, it would have severe limitations and would come off as akward if you ask me... But oh well... everyone's entitled to their opinions...

Also, the Captain Falcon comparison I made was just to provide a general idea for his physics, not to present him as a C. Falcon clone. C. Falcon was also good to bring up as an example, as he is a succesful example of a character with a moveset made from scratch, which would also be the case with M. Rider if he were to be included. Sure others may like the "Captain Falcon clone" shortcut, but that wasn't how I intended to get my idea for him across.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
This was probably already mentioned, but let me stress it...

The modern looking Captain Falcon and F-Zero was based partly on Mach Rider. The fact that Captain Falcon is more than likely going to return to Super Smash Bros. Brawl means the chances of Mach Rider being included are terrible. They are just way too similar.

Besides, F-Zero is better than the little known Mach Rider.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
This was probably already mentioned, but let me stress it...

The modern looking Captain Falcon and F-Zero was based partly on Mach Rider. The fact that Captain Falcon is more than likely going to return to Super Smash Bros. Brawl means the chances of Mach Rider being included are terrible. They are just way too similar.

Besides, F-Zero is better than the little known Mach Rider.
First of all, I never said that Mach Rider WASN'T a long shot - in fact, I believe I've stated it several times - but interestingly enough, in your effort to belittle the title, you actually serve to reveal it's importance: Mach Rider is the progenitor to the F-Zero franchise! IGN certainly seems to like to state that little factoid whenever the subject of either Mach Rider or the original F-Zero is brought up. Also I find your last comment interesting in this regard: stating that "F-Zero is better than the little known Mach Rider" is akin to stating that "Super Mario Bros. is better than the much less popular Donkey Kong" - OF COURSE it's going to be "better" because the former BUILT UPON the extant formula of the latter, not to mention that there is a considerable time gap between titles and therefore a higher degree of technology available to exploit for the more recent titles. Also, the advent of the Super Mario Bros. franchise didn't prevent the Donkey Kong series from retaining its franchise, so why should it be any different in the case of F-Zero and Mach Rider?

As far as the "way too similar" argument, I thought that I'd give you a friendly reminder that Melee made extensive use of CLONES (how much more "similar" can one get?), but yes there are striking aesthetic similarities between C. Falcon and Mach Rider's NES era look:

-vs-

However, if you take the Melee redesign of Mach Rider into context, the similarities are suddenly not so apparent:

-vs-

In closing, I will agree with you that Mach Rider's chances as a playable character in Brawl aren't the greatest (though I wouldn't quite say they're "terrible"...), but your reasoning for why this happens to be the case is considerably flawed. I'm not sure why you've felt the need to rag on a character that doesn't get that much attention here on SWF in the first place...

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
awesome thread, I think this character should be added at all costs...

someone here actually thought mach rider was the main character from wave race!!! WTFLOLOGMBBQ

classic nintendo franchise that has been overlooked... ala kid icarus/ice climbers

rumored to have been in the beta version of melee mach rider was supposedly cut due to time restraints and the hastening to release the game come the winter of the Gamecubes release...

I have come up with a decent list of special moves:

^B: consisting of a rocket boost, as uninspiring as it may seem; its fitting, most futuristic/post-apocalyptic machinegun totting/rocket launching doom cycles have at least some form of turbos *points to X-treme G*

B neutral: charge tackle, like american football, hopefully making use of his retro outfit complete with spikes

>B: the implementation of his super bike in a manner similar to how Warios bike will be used scept with sharper turns and more maneuverability smash ttacks replace with machineguns and rockets niiiice

vB: is probably my favorite move, its one of mach riders most unique abilities: he braces himself posing with feet firmly planted and arms in 'x' formation guardin his face, but upon impact he fragments into many pieces reappearing behind the opponent before its attack animation finishes, giving him enough time to attack, good for edge strategies and such...

lemme know what you think!!!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Nice to see this thread back in action...

@NeoSoul: I really like the tackle idea, more so than my rather uninspired 'Turbo Charge' (which was my suggested >B, but serves a similar function) move I have listed in my suggested moveset. And your treatment of his fragmentation ability is just plain awesome and would serve to introduce an entirely different type of technique to the game - decoy. It would be just as momentous as Marth's (and Roy's) counter technique from Melee. Your B^ recovery move also gets the job done very well. However, you have to realize that Mach Rider's bike is a beast, not a little tricked-out moped like Wario's, so I think that it'd be better to have something of that caliber reserved for his Final Smash. Besides, I'm afraid such a move would somewhat rob the originality of Wario's moveset...
But yeah, overall awesome job! :grin:

@flaco: Thanks dude! :grin: I also find the game to be quite the awesome, though I will admit that it does show it's age to a considerable degree and, like many NES-era games, it's insanely difficult.

Hong

The Strongest
Mach Rider is a character I've supported since SSBM (though I played the original title.) If Sonic doesn't make it (and I hope not *cough*), then his chances are much higher. Though if Sonic does, it'll be harder to make three different super fast runners unless they insist on putting him in even if he's too similar.

I really want Mach Rider in Brawl, but I definately won't be upset if he isn't. Though I guess a blue rodent getting in before Mach Rider would be a bit of a slap to the face, I'll live. xP

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
nah sonic has no relation to mach rider, sure he's just another fast runner, but i'm sure sakurai won't take that into account. If sonic doesn't make it mach rider's chances aren't risen, but what would hurt his chances will be if there are more retro characters revealed.

I really hope Mach Rider makes it with that redesigned Melee look, in fact that trophy inspired me to support this character. I would at least be satisfied if he becomes a falcon clone, replacing ganondorf as the clone, while ganondorf gets a new moveset with his sword.

Top Bottom