• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
if mach rider does make it, Sakurai needs to keep his massive package as massive as it was in melee.

>.>

seriously have you seen that thing?!

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
I would love for Mach Rider to be in Brawl! Possible special moves:

B: The multi-punch-bullet-sound-thing that the tc said in his moveset.

>B: Like Warios bike move it is faster, meaning less control and accuracy, but faster turns and more damage.

^B: Again same as the topic creators.

\/B: A huge motorbike wheel grows between his hands and he hits the floor with it, which grinds up the enemy.

Final Smash: The bike appears, but on its own, and moves around the stage. It has the ability to jump and mows down opponents. Meanwhile, M.R.'s arms grow into gun-like things. Because bullets are not allowed in Brawl, he would shoot lasers or missiles at a high speed. He can run around the stage like this, without the shooting stopping. He can also run faster and again, when he attacks, the shooting doesnt stop.

What do you guys think? Any good?

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
nah sonic has no relation to mach rider, sure he's just another fast runner, but i'm sure sakurai won't take that into account. If sonic doesn't make it mach rider's chances aren't risen, but what would hurt his chances will be if there are more retro characters revealed.

I really hope Mach Rider makes it with that redesigned Melee look, in fact that trophy inspired me to support this character. I would at least be satisfied if he becomes a falcon clone, replacing ganondorf as the clone, while ganondorf gets a new moveset with his sword.
I thought about that, since my primary character is ganondorf i wanted someone to inherit his moveset/physics I came to the conclusion that black shadow would be an excellent candidate, cuz I really like the retro characters and mach rider would have a completely fresh take on moves based around a bike

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
Nice to see this thread back in action...

@NeoSoul: I really like the tackle idea, more so than my rather uninspired 'Turbo Charge' (which was my suggested >B, but serves a similar function) move I have listed in my suggested moveset. And your treatment of his fragmentation ability is just plain awesome and would serve to introduce an entirely different type of technique to the game - decoy. It would be just as momentous as Marth's (and Roy's) counter technique from Melee. Your B^ recovery move also gets the job done very well. However, you have to realize that Mach Rider's bike is a beast, not a little tricked-out moped like Wario's, so I think that it'd be better to have something of that caliber reserved for his Final Smash. Besides, I'm afraid such a move would somewhat rob the originality of Wario's moveset...
But yeah, overall awesome job! :grin:
yea Im having trouble implementing motorcycle based moves because I havent really seen the mechanics of warios but I figure MR's to be much more aggressive with an arsenall at his disposal and what have you... I wanted to have a move taht focuses on his particle technique because it not only makes him unique but really versatile strategy wise

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
This thread's starting to get a lot more busy than usual... I need to do a better job at keeping up... >.<;

@Lunadis: Inkslinger already made mention of this, but whether or not Sonic is included Brawl will have really no bearing at all on Mach Rider's chances at making the roster. Can't really blame you for not wanted Sonic though... Pretty much all of his outings for the past decade have been sub par (or, in the case of Shadow the Hedgehog, utter crap...).

@Inkslinger: If Mach Rider is unfortunate enough to get the clone treatment, he would most undoubtedly replace Ganon (who's almost certain to get a new moveset, sword-based or not) as the C. Falcon clone, but I doubt that he will inherit Ganon's Melee moveset - if anything, I think that he'd be on the other side of the spectrum, faster but slightly less powerful...

@DJLO: Erm... interesting observation there... o_0;;

@Smash Ninja: Good start, and I'm glad you like some of my suggested moves. :grin: Still, I'd be interested to see what neutral B and B^ moves you could come up with. As far as your own suggested moves are concerned, the Bv technique sounds very cool - I really like the grind effect you mentioned - but yeah, I think you really have something there. The Final Smash is interesting, though I don't think he needs to transform his arms into guns since he already has those mounted on his bike. Also, I don't think Sakurai ruled out guns that fire bullets completely, he just said that Snake wouldn't be making use of them (but he DOES use an RPG, which makes a much bigger mess out of people than guns do...). And as I mentioned to NeoSoul, Mike Rider's monster of a bike is in an entirely different league than Wario's funky scooter, so I don't think it should be used as casually - but maybe that's just me... Again, good start and I look forward to more of your ideas.

Thanks for the support everyone! :)

war-bearer

Smash Rookie
Man I hope that Mach Rider makes as a playable fighter in Brawl because he looks really cool.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
@Smash Ninja: Good start, and I'm glad you like some of my suggested moves. :grin: Still, I'd be interested to see what neutral B and B^ moves you could come up with. As far as your own suggested moves are concerned, the Bv technique sounds very cool - I really like the grind effect you mentioned - but yeah, I think you really have something there. The Final Smash is interesting, though I don't think he needs to transform his arms into guns since he already has those mounted on his bike. Also, I don't think Sakurai ruled out guns that fire bullets completely, he just said that Snake wouldn't be making use of them (but he DOES use an RPG, which makes a much bigger mess out of people than guns do...). And as I mentioned to NeoSoul, Mike Rider's monster of a bike is in an entirely different league than Wario's funky scooter, so I don't think it should be used as casually - but maybe that's just me... Again, good start and I look forward to more of your ideas.

Thanks for the support everyone! :)
Thanks for the feedback! Sorry im replying rather late, I JUST got back from my holiday...

The bullet thing is a definate no-no, as in an interview, Sakurai mentioned (when questioned) about Snakes useage of guns in the game. He said that the only weapons he would be using are explosive ones, as bullets would rise the rating to "T"... which he did not want... so he said "they is a line I draw with smash... and that line avoids bullets at all costs". Fox/Falco's blaster is allowed as it is not recocnised as "an established form of a true weapon".

And also, havent they changed the scales of some things already in the smash series? Couldnt they do that with the bike? Or wouldnt it just be more final smashey if it WAS just huge?

BTW, im not being moaney... I just enjoy debate!

Oh, and since you wanted them, I thought of my own ^B and B moves.

B: BLOCK: This move is just like from the game Mach Rider. In the game if you performed a BLOCK on an opponent, sending them into a hazard, you earned more points and your bullets replenished. In brawl, the BLOCK will damage your opponent 10%, knockng them quite far, and you will recover by 10% if timed rightly. If timed a bit off, your opponent still is damaged and effected in the same way, but you only recover 5%. If you do this move at a wrong time and only slightly miss your opponent, you will recive 5% damage. If you perform a BLOCK whenthere is no-ne near you, and was never going to hit anybody, you recive 10% damage.

B^: Handlebar launcher: In this move, handlebars appear out of thin air, and as they do, M.R. grabs onto hem and is launcehed skywards. This has good vertica distance with poor horizontal reach. When next to an opponent on the ground, your foe will be attached to the bars, thowing them further upwards at the end, damaging them greatly. It does a fair bit of damage if an opponent is struck mid-way through the move. If you perform this in the air next to an opponent, however, you atch onto them, do a somersalt, and perform the same move, but with better horizontal recovery and slightly worse vertical distance. Damage remains the same.

Phew... im done... whaddya think, hm?

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
@ Lord Deathborne-I see Mach Rider as the slower one of the 2, if they use that redesign look of the Melee trophy because he looks bigger and more powerful than Falcon.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Thanks for the feedback! Sorry im replying rather late, I JUST got back from my holiday...

The bullet thing is a definate no-no, as in an interview, Sakurai mentioned (when questioned) about Snakes useage of guns in the game. He said that the only weapons he would be using are explosive ones, as bullets would rise the rating to "T"... which he did not want... so he said "they is a line I draw with smash... and that line avoids bullets at all costs". Fox/Falco's blaster is allowed as it is not recocnised as "an established form of a true weapon".

And also, havent they changed the scales of some things already in the smash series? Couldnt they do that with the bike? Or wouldnt it just be more final smashey if it WAS just huge?

BTW, im not being moaney... I just enjoy debate!

Oh, and since you wanted them, I thought of my own ^B and B moves.

B: BLOCK: This move is just like from the game Mach Rider. In the game if you performed a BLOCK on an opponent, sending them into a hazard, you earned more points and your bullets replenished. In brawl, the BLOCK will damage your opponent 10%, knockng them quite far, and you will recover by 10% if timed rightly. If timed a bit off, your opponent still is damaged and effected in the same way, but you only recover 5%. If you do this move at a wrong time and only slightly miss your opponent, you will recive 5% damage. If you perform a BLOCK whenthere is no-ne near you, and was never going to hit anybody, you recive 10% damage.

B^: Handlebar launcher: In this move, handlebars appear out of thin air, and as they do, M.R. grabs onto hem and is launcehed skywards. This has good vertica distance with poor horizontal reach. When next to an opponent on the ground, your foe will be attached to the bars, thowing them further upwards at the end, damaging them greatly. It does a fair bit of damage if an opponent is struck mid-way through the move. If you perform this in the air next to an opponent, however, you atch onto them, do a somersalt, and perform the same move, but with better horizontal recovery and slightly worse vertical distance. Damage remains the same.

Phew... im done... whaddya think, hm?
Yeah, I did read somewhere that Sakurai is supposedly aiming for an 'E10' rating, but (I ask forgiveness in advance for using this game as an example... >.<) Shadow the Hedgehog made plenty of use guns and it still managed to garner an 'E10' rating. I also have this sinking feeling that Brawl is going to walk away with a 'T' rating regardless, just because it seems to be more or less the default rating for fighting games...

As far as the bike's size is concerned, you're right - they could rescale it to a more meager size, but I feel that it would lose a lot of it's impact in the process. However, it was more because of it's firepower than it's size that made me feel that it was best left as a final smash - and also because it seemed to me a more appropriate treatment for a vehicle of that caliber (I also suspect that Fox and C. Falcon will utilize their respective vehicles for their final smashes).

Now on to the move suggestions: I'm really liking the idea of the BLOCK technique, although I'm curious as to how the technique is initiated, does he ram them with his bike or use his own body? Either way, I'm rather intrigued by the mechanics and I can see this as a deadly edge-guarding technique. Also, it's nice to see how you've incorporated actual elements from the game into your moveset. I also like the mechanics of the Handlebar launcher, although it may not need the literal use of handlebars to execute the attack, but rather just the motions. At any rate, that's my two cents; great material nonetheless.
@ Lord Deathborne-I see Mach Rider as the slower one of the 2, if they use that redesign look of the Melee trophy because he looks bigger and more powerful than Falcon.
Yeah... I guess I was refering more to Mach Rider's classic appearance than his updated Melee trophy look.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
The moveset posted on the first post seems to work very well for the character. Unfortunately, the only way I see him in is if he can replace the Ice Climbers and beat the Balloon Fighter; like those two, he seems to be one of those forgotten retro characters that might just make a comeback.

I can, however, see him working as an AT (don't shoot me). PC would be cool, but AT is more likely.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh the memories.

Even if Mach Rider can't make it, I hope he's at least a costume for Captain Falcon. Might sound odd, but it'd be a nice tribute. (Not saying he'd be a Falcon clone if he was his own character.)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The moveset posted on the first post seems to work very well for the character. Unfortunately, the only way I see him in is if he can replace the Ice Climbers and beat the Balloon Fighter; like those two, he seems to be one of those forgotten retro characters that might just make a comeback.

I can, however, see him working as an AT (don't shoot me). PC would be cool, but AT is more likely.
No, I'm not going to deny the fact that Mach Rider is at this stage in the game seems much more likely to make it in as an AT than as a playable. However, I don't think Balloon Fighter is as likely as many seem to think - you can thank the inclusion of another certain retro aerialist combatant to Brawl's roster for that... At any rate, with the inclusion of a character as unlikely (and unnecessary) as the Pokemon Trainer, I think that anything is possible with regard to Brawl's roster. Like always, we'll just have to wait and see...
Awesome find once again, parrothead!
Oh the memories.

Even if Mach Rider can't make it, I hope he's at least a costume for Captain Falcon. Might sound odd, but it'd be a nice tribute. (Not saying he'd be a Falcon clone if he was his own character.)
I'm not a huge fan of having separate characters reduced to costumes, but it was done in Melee, so it is rather likely. Don't really know if I'd call such treatment a tribute either, but suppose it would be considering how relatively obscure the title is...

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. I guess it would be somewhat degrading.

I guess I'm such a fan of the game that I'm willing to accept the awesomeness that is Mach Rider in any form. An original playable character would be above all. Mach Rider would be my favourite retro character inclusion by far, followed by Takamaru of course.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yeah. I guess it would be somewhat degrading.

I guess I'm such a fan of the game that I'm willing to accept the awesomeness that is Mach Rider in any form. An original playable character would be above all. Mach Rider would be my favourite retro character inclusion by far, followed by Takamaru of course.
Mach Rider and Takamaru FTW! :grin:
That was exactly my retro priority list for a long time, but at some point Startopics' Mike Jones nudged Tak-kun aside for the #2 spot. The hierarchy is still very closely contested between those three though...

Tru-underdog

Smash Journeyman
i can see mach rider as wario meets snake he could have snakes combo move with the kicks and bazooka etc and he could whip his bike out like mario also i read hat like he falls apart or sumfing so he could have like rocket fists or something any way he is facing balloon fighter in my fight club thread help him out

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^Mach Rider won. Cool. (WAY late, I know...)

Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE been able to make it all the way to Sector 10 in the Fighting Course? The farthest I ever seem to make it is Sector 4...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*HOLY THREAD BUMPAGE, BATMAN!*

Anyways, I am dedicating my Post #2112 to my main man Mach Rider, as it happens to be the year in which his arduous journey is set to begin - and was never bought to conclusion... Of course, endless battles were the norm back in those days, where the objective was to obtain the High Score rather than beat the game... However, I'd really like to see where his quest would have taken him once he cleared Sector 10, so I'm hoping Nintendo will give this franchise a second look. At any rate, it would be very interesting to see his quest implemented in the Subspace Emissary - maybe he could team up with C. Falcon, which would be all kinds of awesome as Mach Rider is often considered the predecessor to the F-Zero series (game concept wise, not story wise).

Also, seeing how many character support communities have come up with their own nicknames (i.e. R.I.D.L.E.Y. for the Ridley supporters), I propose that us Mach Rider supporters (all ten of us currently... T_T) call ourselves the Road Warriors. Like Max Rockatansky in the movie title from which the term derives, the odds are stacked heavily against us... Will we emerge victorious, or will we just crash and burn? Either way, it should be fun. If anyone has any suggestions, such as a better group nickname (I will admit mine's not the best...), feel free to post. At any rate, thanks for the support guys!

war-bearer

Smash Rookie
Obscure characters like Mach Rider should be put in Smash Bros. because he is a unique individual who had his own game

GenG

Smash Lord
I've seen people claiming that Mach Rider has been sighted as an AT in the Demo, along with Little Mac. There isn't any official confirmation of this (I mean pics or videos) yet.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Err... Mach Rider wasn't shown at all in the demo. Or mentioned.

Little Mac was mentioned, but not shown, so he's definitely ATed. No confirmation yet about Mach Rider.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Why put all that detail in Mach Rider's Melee trophy? I hope he gets in Brawl...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Because they were playable characters, unlike the excitebikers who are AT's... to be honest I didn't see the point of them to be added in their 8 bit version, do you?
I'm not to bothered either way.

Mach Rider does stand a chance though, seeing as though he was supposedly in the Beta version of Melee. There is evidence that seems to suggest that he was.

But that Excite Bike thing doesn't even relate to Mach Rider in any way. It's like saying that if Pichu's not in, then Mario wont be.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm not to bothered either way.

Mach Rider does stand a chance though, seeing as though he was supposedly in the Beta version of Melee. There is evidence that seems to suggest that he was.

But that Excite Bike thing doesn't even relate to Mach Rider in any way. It's like saying that if Pichu's not in, then Mario wont be.
Oops... hahaha I totally thought Mach Rider was from ExciteBike, excuse my ignorance on this topic, I guess you can tell I haven't played either game.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Oops... hahaha I totally thought Mach Rider was from ExciteBike, excuse my ignorance on this topic, I guess you can tell I haven't played either game.
Lol It seems a lot of people think that, even I thought that at first. Then I went and checked, turns out Mach Rider and ExciteBike are actually the names of the games aswell. Two completely different franchises.

Just check out the first page of this topic to see what Mach Rider is like. I've only ever checked it once, and that was like 5 minutes ago. But I did know that ExciteBike was a different franchise before then though. :p

And now it's 5:11am, and I'm really tired. I'm not even sure if this post made that much sense, but I'm not that bothered right now as I'm off to bed. Be up in about 3 hours on the Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread hopefully.

Toodles. *Waves*

NukeA6

Smash Master
Top Bottom