• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M9.0 Earthquake, Tsunami hit Japan

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0001xgp.php
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42023385/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Key details:

• Second quake hits another area of Japan
  • 200 to 300 bodies found in one coastal city after tsunami
  • Dam breaks in ***ushima prefecture, washing away homes
  • Coast Guard searching for ship carrying 80
  • At least 90 fires in northeast Japan
  • Train with unknown number of passengers is missing
  • Radioactive vapor to be released at nuclear plant
  • 4 million lose power in Tokyo area
  • 100 aftershocks, some above 6.0
  • Some damage in U.S.; Calif. search for man swept out to sea

TOKYO — A magnitude 8.9 earthquake slammed Japan's northeast coast Friday afternoon, unleashing a 23-foot tsunami that swept people, boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland — and prompted a "nuclear emergency." The death toll was expected to top 1,000, most from drowning.

A second quake struck central Japan along the northwest coast hours later, causing buildings to sway. There were no immediate reports of deaths or damage from the quake, listed as a 6.6 by the U.S. Geological Survey.

The tsunami reached Hawaii and the U.S. West Coast, where evacuations were ordered but little damage was reported. The Coast Guard was searching for a man swept out to sea in Northern California.

According to Japanese police, 200 to 300 bodies were found in Sendai, the coastal city closest to the epicenter. Dozens of others were confirmed killed elsewhere, with hundreds missing. Hundreds more were injured.

"I was unable stay on my feet because of the violent shaking," a woman with a baby on her back told television in northern Japan. "The aftershocks gave us no reprieve, then the tsunami came when we tried to run for cover."

TV footage showed fires engulfing a large waterfront area in northeastern Japan. Houses and other buildings were ablaze across large swathes of land in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture, near Sendai. The city, with a population of 74,000, has residential, light industry and fishing areas.

Police told the Kyodo news agency that a passenger train with an unknown number of people aboard was missing in one coastal area.

Nuclear emergency
The government ordered 3,000 residents near a nuclear power plant in Onahama to evacuate because the plant's cooling system failed and pressure inside the reactor is rising. The reactor's core remained hot even after a shutdown, and officials said they would release some slightly radioactive vapor to ease the pressure. The plant is 170 miles northeast of Tokyo.

The Defense Ministry dispatched dozens of troops trained to deal with chemical disaster to the plant in case of a radiation leak.

An American man working at the plant said the whole building shook and debris fell from the ceiling when the quake hit. Danny Eudy and his colleagues escaped the building just as the tsunami hit, his wife told The Associated Press.

"He walked through so much glass that his feet were cut. It slowed him down," said Pineville, Louisiana, resident Janie Eudy, who spoke to her husband by phone after the quake.

The group watched homes and vehicles be carried away in the wave and found their hotel mostly swept away when they finally reached it.

Overall, dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions because of the tsunami that crashed ashore, swallowing everything in its path as it surged several miles inland before retreating. The apocalyptic images of surging water broadcast by Japanese TV networks resembled scenes from a Hollywood disaster movie.

Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses or scraping under them and snapping power lines along the way. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water. Ships anchored in ports crashed against each other.

The highways to the worst-hit coastal areas were severely damaged and communications, including telephone lines, were snapped. Train services in northeastern Japan and in Tokyo, which normally serve 10 million people a day, were also suspended, leaving untold numbers stranded in stations or roaming the streets. Tokyo's Narita airport was closed indefinitely.

Tomoko Koga, a 34-year-old translator and interpreter, told msnbc.com she couldn’t see any damage from her house in Chiba, outside of Tokyo, but was watching reports of devastation on the news. “I don’t even know what to say. I feel sorry that I’m safe and OK because there are so many people affected by this disaster.”

Koga was waiting to hear back from her father, who was stranded in his office in Tokyo. “He texted us right after the earthquake that there wouldn’t be any way for him to come back home. But after that, we didn’t hear from him. It’s really nerve-wracking.”

Austrian Lukas Schlatter said he saw houses and cars moving when the quake struck Japan, and it was even hard for him to stand, “like I was a little bit drunk.”

Schlatter, a 22-year-old intern at the Austrian embassy in Tokyo, said there was a lot of shaking and books fell off shelves in their office. “My Japanese co-workers were also scared because they said they had not experienced that strong of an earthquake in a long time,” he told msnbc.com in a Skype interview.

More than 4 million buildings at one point lost power in Tokyo and its suburbs, the NHK news agency said.

Around Sendai, waves of muddy waters flowed over farmland, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways.

More than 300 houses were washed away in the city of Ofunato alone. Television footage showed mangled debris, uprooted trees, upturned cars and shattered timber littering streets.

The tsunami roared over embankments, washing anything in its path inland before reversing directions and carrying the cars, homes and other debris out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.

A large fire erupted at an oil refinery in Ichihara city and burned out of control with 100-foot-high flames whipping into the sky.

Jefferies International Limited, a global investment banking group, said it estimated overall losses to be about $10 billion.

Struck at a depth of six miles
The U.S. Geological Survey said the first quake hit at 2:46 p.m. local time and was a magnitude 8.9, the biggest earthquake to hit Japan since officials began keeping records in the late 1800s. USGS files show that an 8.9 quake would make it the fifth strongest worldwide since 1900 and the seventh strongest on record.

The quake struck at a depth of six miles, about 80 miles off the eastern coast, the agency said. The area is 240 miles northeast of Tokyo.

A tsunami warning was extended to a number of Pacific, Southeast Asian and Latin American nations, including Japan, Russia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Chile. In the Philippines, authorities ordered an evacuation of coastal communities, but no unusual waves were reported.

In downtown Tokyo, large buildings shook violently and workers poured into the street for safety. TV footage showed a large building on fire and bellowing smoke in the Odaiba district of Tokyo. The tremor bent the upper tip of the iconic Tokyo Tower, a 1,093-foot steel structure inspired by the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The quake was nearly 8,000 times stronger than one that struck New Zealand late last month, devastating the city of Christchurch.

Japan's worst previous quake was in 1923 in Kanto, an 8.3-magnitude temblor that killed 143,000 people, according to USGS. A 7.2-magnitude quake in Kobe city in 1995 killed 6,400 people.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire" — an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones stretching around the Pacific where about 90 percent of the world's quakes occur, including the one that triggered the Dec. 26, 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami that killed an estimated 230,000 people in 12 nations. A magnitude-8.8 temblor that shook central Chile last February also generated a tsunami and killed 524 people.
Still breaking -- my thoughts go out to those affected over there in Japan.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
prayers and condolences

hoping for the best for those on the coasts of other countries threatened by the potential tsunami

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Hawaii is now under Tsunami warning and expected to get hit in a few hours. Thoughts and condolences to everyone in all the areas affected by this.

If anyone is in the threat areas here is a page with estimated times of when the areas might be hit with the after effects: Here

Patinator

Smash Champion
Probably feels like 1945 again...

But hey, guys, think of all the millions of fish! :(

...In all seriousness, though... it's bad, but it could've been a lot worse. And the "tsunami" that hit Hawaii was probably smaller than a normal wave for Hawaii...

It'd be interesting to see how strong it is when it hits California. Maybe wash away all the dopeheads, haha.

M@v

Subarashii!
Probably feels like 1945 again...

...In all seriousness, though... it's bad, but it could've been a lot worse.
Did you even see the pictures? The flooding was worse than Katrina, and they showed this giant wall of water filled with debris rolling across in the country side. Unless they were on high ground, anyone who was in the way of it is pretty much ****ed to put it bluntly.

I actually have a fraternity brother over there on an internship. Thankfully I got a text from him saying he's alright.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
we on the pacific bay area have received tsunami warnings. i think the japan footage has scared everyone, but considering it wasn't so bad in hawaii, i don't think it will be very severe here either. however, i'm paying attention to live blogs and streams just to make sure.

the death toll in japan has reached the hundreds =\ really sad.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you mean, in japan?

oh man, i really hope not.

millions have been affected already. entire cities lost power, and there is a lot of footage of cars/ENTIRE HOUSES being swept away, and some on fire. there has also been a tanker explosion. the footage is so intense

edit: in spite of the death toll, i'm seeing widespread praise of japan's preparation and readiness for events like this. it could have been much worse, but their successful engineering and building codes has kept major buildings intact. however, the horizontal mudslides within coastal neighborhoods couldn't be helped.

M@v

Subarashii!
The mudslides were like nothing I've ever seen. Walls of death with cars houses debris and even fires on them. Looked like it was moving at least 20-30mph as well.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Edit: You know what no :/

Might just be me, but the post I made was a little too offensive and really not needed. Ignore plz.

UberMario

Smash Master
I heard about this earlier, my prayers are with the families affected by this disaster.

@Ulti: I don't hear anything similar to that, one of the women in the background said something ending with a strong "i" sound, but I definitely didn't hear Brawl.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
It's really sad that some people would go far enough to say, "Oh, no, earthquake in Japan! are the makers of Brawl and Anime okay?".

My condolences to anyone affected by this.

Life

Smash Hero
All I can do is shake my head and LOL. Pearl Harbor? Srsly? Most Japanese that were alive then are dead now. Worried about karma? Two words: Enola Gay. Any "karma" issues were taken care of back in the appropriate time period. So if anyone says anything like what was posted in that pic... consider this my slap in the face personally to you.

Have a nice day! :smirk:

As for the Japanese: prayers.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just to tell you guys that the brawl players from japan are all safe, though the world's best stadium player of all time at both melee and brawl, Sin2324, hasn't given any news yet. He lives in Miyagi, one of the cities that have been hit the most by the event.

I hope the best.

SolarChimecho

Smash Apprentice
http://i.imgur.com/o9hr8.jpg
Faith in humanity:
Gone

Edit: There's more
http://i.imgur.com/eFYYe.jpg

Edit again: Is there really such a thing as too much stupid?
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/03/facebook_imbeci.php
Funny how those people forgot that USA nuked Japan, killing innocent japanese people. So USA and Japan are even. The Pearl Harbor incident is in the ****ing past and they are salty over a tragic yet very old news. I'm disappointed in those people.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
even when comparing the nuking and pearl harbor, japan suffered 3000x civilian casualties.

so many of those status updates are like "lol search up pearl harbor death tolls" and when i did i was not impressed. Idiots. what a bunch of freaking idiots.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Worst thing since WWII? Damn

Which reminds me, how is Japan's and the US's relationship after the dropping of the atomic bombs there?

Life

Smash Hero
Actually pretty good, nukes didn't really have as bad a stigma then as they do now (and they were smaller too). And we helped them rebuild afterwards.

/missingthepoint

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Actually pretty good, nukes didn't really have as bad a stigma then as they do now (and they were smaller too). And we helped them rebuild afterwards.

/missingthepoint
Jeez sorry the thought sparked into my head and seeing as the US basically destroyed two cities I thought they had some feud going

But seeing as they aren't in bad terms, then ok.

And the Japanese have my condolences I hope they rebuild good. They just don't get the moniker of one of the most advanced nations in the world for nothing. With their technology, they'll be back on their feet in no time. If anything, this is actually good for them as this right now lets them test their advances in technology and see how well they respond. You know what they say, it's times like these that shows how much of a man you are

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion

5ive

Smash Champion
I'll be yelled at as per usual for this but prayforJapan? No. If you want to help DO something. They want money, aid & food; not thoughts.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Sorry I don't pray I'm an atheist

And man, what is it with all these rumors that every important Japanese person died in the tsunami

So far I've heard of Akira Toriyama, the guy who made Hello Kitty, the guy who made Naruto, Satoshi Tajiri, Miyamoto, Sakurai (though I admit I wish this was actually true) and about 5 other important Japanese people I don't even know about

Suspect

Smash Hero
An Atheist...wishing someone would have died...showing support to said guy by playing his games...with a "love dont hate" user title

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Well, according to the news, the earthquake supposedly got bumped up to a 9.0 magnitude, which is said to be "one and a half times more severe" than it's previous 8.9 magnitude. As well as people in the states buying out iodine tablets, which are said to help protect against radiation, in fear of it reaching the states. Containers of these tablets are also supposedly being sold on popular auction sites for around 400 dollars at this time.

D

Deleted member

I'll be yelled at as per usual for this but prayforJapan? No. If you want to help DO something. They want money, aid & food; not thoughts.
These are nice and all, but what if you can't do anything to help with money, aid, or food? At least try to comfort the Japanese in their time of needs and show them that they are not alone.

Which sadly, not everyone do either one of these. American's behavior toward this hasn't been great and I've been especially displeased with some of their behaviors; since there's no way to refute the fact that the Japanese do not deserve this. There are people trying to say this is "payback for Pearl Harbor", saying it helps with the overpopulation problem (Which is full of poo, while this is a tragedy, it will not, in the end, cause a significant decline in population. Even if it was valid, it should not have been said), trying to justify religion as a cause of this (I am not joking on this, go to Youtube, type in GOD IS SO GOOD Japan Tsuanmi and you'll see a bat**** crazy religious fanatic thanking God for this disaster), and being racist while at it. This is not the time for insults or lulz and some people just fail to understand this.

Top Bottom