• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yeah. I still want him to gain a special where he vacuums and if you grab an enemy/large item, you spit them back out and if you grab a projectile with an element (fire, ice, electricity etc) the vacuum turns into a flamethrower/icethrower etc until it runs out of elemental fuel.
Could Luigi vacuum grab his own fireball?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Could Luigi vacuum grab his own fireball?
@Neanderthal
It wouldn't be any rarer than things that fill up G&W's bucket, really (if you add in more elements than Luigi actually had... the elements wouldn't have to be too different from one another)
@Blick
I kinda think of the vacuum replacing his fireball... it's just another move that is similar to one of Mario's.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Pshh, representative of Mario's beginnings, more like! Year of Luigi! His beginning is the game that he first went solo! ... not including Mario's Missing.

(I just don't really like Luigi's fireball, and I''m not quite convinced that giving it a less original flight pattern and making it green makes it an interesting move)

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Pshh, representative of Mario's beginnings, more like! Year of Luigi! His beginning is the game that he first went solo! ... not including Mario's Missing.

(I just don't really like Luigi's fireball, and I''m not quite convinced that giving it a less original flight pattern and making it green makes it an interesting move)
Tbh, I don't like it either, but I worry that removing his only projectile would hurt him. Really, all his specials have good uses, which means anything that replaces them should have similar ones.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Replace his b down with the vacuum and make his luigi cyclone is a down in air.
No.

Doing that to Mario was a mistake, (it really limited his recovery and approach options) and don't want them to repeat the same mistake twice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I mean sakurai really doesnt care about the games balance so Im all for it.
Possibly, but that isn't a reason to make a character weaker unnecessarily.

As for the Poltergust appearing in his moveset, I want to see it as a tether recovery and a ranged grab.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How about they just add Luigi's Mansion flare to his character? Like maybe with the down special, Luigi takes out his vacuum and starts to spin. The tornado now actually drags in opponents if they are close enough. Besides that it works exactly like his old down b.

Also....maybe replace his down smash? Like he is charging up his strobe light and shoots it, the longer you hold it down, the longer the stun?

BSP

Smash Legend
Possibly, but that isn't a reason to make a character weaker unnecessarily.

As for the Poltergust appearing in his moveset, I want to see it as a tether recovery and a ranged grab.

Ranged grabs tend to not work very well unless you're named Olimar. I hope he just keeps a normal grab.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope he gets revealed relatively soon. With each Smash game he becomes more interesting as he stands out more from Mario more and more. So, I can't help but wonder what new tricks he'll get.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4c1Oeh24yk

Luigi Ideas:
Specials:
Poltergeist Vacuum (as you've all been talking about.)
Normal Special: It works like Animal Crossing "Villager"'s "pocket" and sucks in projectiles. Elemental based attacks can be reflected based upon the element ghost, but not things like Samus' missiles. When you pull out the vacuum in the air (you can only use it for maybe two seconds) it "sucks" you in that direction. you can adjust the direction it's facing. So, if you're off the ledge facing the map, you can pull out the vacuum, and tilt it upwards, to get sucked upwards in the air.) It's also a secondary grab, as it sucks in enemies, like bowser's koopa claw was a second grab. And, finally, it'll suck up petty ghosts (bats, mice, etc.) that appear out of nowhere while sucking in.
Side special: It "blows" out like L would in Luigi's Mansion. While it blows up, a flock of petty ghosts come out (bats, mice, etc.) I think being able to "build up ghosts" like a charging special would be a nifty trait. These ghosts do a tiny bit of damage (1--4% depending on color) and it has a knockback similar to Bowser's fire. Occasionally, it'll misfire (like his luigi missile) and release a larger ghost that'll (for that basic orange ghost) rush straight ahead, and that ghost will have a diagonal knockback + do like 10% damage. Knockback should be fixed and just enough to ensure that only terrible DI makes you get hit again (while no DI makes you not for most characters.) Perhaps different kinds of ghosts for different misfires. Similarly, if used in the air, it pushes luigi away a little bit (perhaps as far as Jigglypuff's Pound.)
Down Special: Still Luigi tornado. It's in Super Luigi U.
Up special: Same old, same old.

Pummel: While inside vacuum with Special grab, suck in a fire elemental. Long pummel but kinda high damage (like 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 [burn] = 6%)
Pummel: With normal grab, smack em with the flashlight. It makes the flashlight click on for a second because lol.

Down Aerial: Luigi's "second jumps." Twice the damage and knockback as a hit from yoshi's flutter kick. Lower hitboxes than luigi's kick (mini hotboxes from air puffs).

Neutral Aerial: You see his movement at about 0:42

Dash attack: Sliding on his behind like he does at 1:10 in the video

Down throw: Position opponent under luigi + ground pound. This can also apply to mario.

Up Smash: Luigi finds a gem or key or etc like he would in Luigi's mansion. It makes him flash out happy colors because luigi lol. The longer you charge it, the better the gem you find. These gems do nothing outside of his Up Smash.

Side Smash: Throw out the vacuum at opponent. Charge longer = longer range + harder hit.

Side Tilt: A lot like his current side smash. Instead of his hand, it's a flashlight.

I think this is viable and would be a bit of a benefit for luigi. Better dash attack, more useful nair I think, worse dair, and much better specials, while improving his recovery, making floaty mr luigi almost like peach.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
He's currently my most wanted veteran, and he'd better make it back, with a LM inspired moveset, hopefully. I'd be interested in trying that out. ^_^ Luigi gets better and better with every game, so I'm curious about this one.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
With Luigi I am hoping that at the very least we can see the Poltergeist used as one of his grabs. Giving him a ranged grab with his current track record would help make him a much more stronger of a character and differentiate him even more from Mario than he already is.

Daz Larc

Smash Rookie
OK in all truth i'm not a big time smash player (nothing really competitive). I do love my smash and Luigi was the guy who helped me defeat Intense mode for SSE mode. I only use his fireball to kill the foes in the SSE or creatures in adventure mode if i don't feel like getting close. I would prefer something like his strobe bulb on the vacuum. it charges like robs laser. it has a stun effect in a cone (more charge further the cone) its a short stun but still good enough to start up those combos or edge guard. Having it slowly build up over time adds more strategic value to Luigi. do i use it to get this kill or wait to make the next one a bit easier? i have only seen like 2 people here say keep the fireball. I say add that to make Luigi that much more different then his brother.

Jsut thought i would ramble and throw in my two cents while i was rambling. im happy its the Year of Luigi

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Okay, this is MY idea for how to make Luigi feel more "Luigi's Mansion-y".

Neutral Special: Poltergust 5000

Even though his Green Fireballs were decent projectiles, I think we need something that truly represents Luigi. When Luigi holds down the Special Button, Luigi takes out the Poltergust 5000. Once Luigi has taken out the vacuum, Luigi's movemet changes to like when a character grabs the Cracker Launcher. If someone gets in range of Luigi while in this state, the vacuum will lock on to the enemy (you can also lock on to multiple enemies). The enemies will take damage overtime in this stage, so they have the choice of to fight Luigi head-on and risk more damage or run away quickly. Also if they don't get out of range within 6 seconds, they will get sucked in and shot out resulting in 22% with decent knockback.

Side Special: Green Missile

Don't worry, nothing has changed.

Up Special: Super Flutter Jump

Super Flutter Jump is very similar to his old special, with the exception that you will slowly decent with kicking of your feet like in SMB2/SM3DW. You can of course hold down to quicken your decent in case if you're in a tight spot.

Down Special: Luigi Cyclone

Again, nothing has changed.

Final Smash: Ghost Rush

Luigi takes a deep inhale and whistles very loudly, this calls out ALL of the good ghosts from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon to come out and start a riot on the enemies. While the ghost rush is going down, Luigi is just playing with Polterpup.

Forward Smash: Strobulb

Luigi now has a special new Forward Smash which stuns the enemies. The longer Luigi charges it, the longer the enemy is stunned. This combos very well with his Up and Neutral specials.

JOE!

Smash Hero
....are there really people with a shred of doubt the firggen -Luigi-, a -MARIO BROTHER- might not return?

I just...

what?

why....

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
....are there really people with a shred of doubt the firggen -Luigi-, a -MARIO BROTHER- might not return?

I just...

what?

why....
Ha, yeah. Out of the 4 secret unlockable characters in the OG Smash. He is the most likely to return. I just hope they show him soon, mostly for the Year of Luigi thing.

UndiaperedBaby

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think they should totally redesign Luigi (without ridding of the fireball), and work in his stand alone games more - like New Super Luigi and Luigi's Mansion. Have him shoot ghosts out, or at least incorporate them into his Final Smash in a similar way to what they did with King Dedede's or Pit's Final Smashes. It might be dumb, but for instance they could keep the relative use and look of his recovery move/up special/up B but instead of him just jumping a ghost scares him and he shoots up - maybe more like a vertical version of his side special/missile.

On a side note that truly has very little relation to Luigi: Paper Mario, please.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I always thought ever since Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga he should have the Thunderhand for his B move instead of the fireball but I guess its just too iconic even if its also used by Mario.

UndiaperedBaby

Smash Apprentice
He just needs a reliable way to get in. Faster FB would help; less cooldown on tornado would help too; overall faster speed, etc.

How exactly would poltergust work? I can't see much use for the suction function, but I think the Flamethrower, Water Gun, and Ice thrower (lol) could get some use. Assuming no new additional inputs are made, something would have to go...

If nothing else, they could use the poltergust in his grab, to give it more range. Like Link's or Samus'.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
While I definitely want Luigi revamped somewhat, especially with a few new Luigi's Mansion moves, I just don't want too many moves of his changed to Luigi's Mansion based attacks. Like 2-3 max.

Oh, and replace the fireball with an electric projectile please. But that's wishful thinking...

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
100% chance Luigi makes a return. 99% still being an unlockable character.

His moveset better get a revamp. Vacuum inclusion is pretty much inevitable.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
I have a feeling he may be shown at December.

To end the Year of Luigi spectacularly.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Luigi needs his regular special to be the flashlight. Blind enemies temporarily *stun* would be godly. He could use that poltergust, as mario has the flood

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
I think there's a good chance Luigi will have his vacuum this time. Sakurai did actually consider it during the Melee days. Don't feel ARSED to go and find a poorly translated source, but I thiiink he wasn't sure if he should or could considering how far Melee was into development...? With Luigi's Mansion having a new game out soon, and having a mini-game in Nintendo Land, I bet he just might feel the vacuum is more apart of Luigi's character than it had been before. A Stronger association.

Especially if Mario loses his F.L.U.D.D.
Dark Moon has been out a while lol. The Poltergust would make a great addition to his moves... maybe replacing his downward special? Vacuum up the enemies you are facing, then launch them away from you with the blower?

UndiaperedBaby

Smash Apprentice
Dark Moon has been out a while lol. The Poltergust would make a great addition to his moves... maybe replacing his downward special? Vacuum up the enemies you are facing, then launch them away from you with the blower?

Sounds like more of a long ranged grapple. Which has been brought up before, and I would love that.

UndiaperedBaby

Smash Apprentice
Luigi needs his regular special to be the flashlight. Blind enemies temporarily *stun* would be godly. He could use that poltergust, as mario has the flood

That sort of move would work good as a stun, or even cooler as counter - like Marth's down special - or a deflector like Mario's cape. He could shine it in their faces as they attack and stun them, but then have a immediate attack built in, like the Poltergust (which would be exactly like the game).

Regardless, the Poltergust needs to make an appearance with Luigi: even if they do something like make it his Final Smash, one similar to R.O.B.'s.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That sort of move would work good as a stun, or even cooler as counter - like Marth's down special - or a deflector like Mario's cape. He could shine it in their faces as they attack and stun them, but then have a immediate attack built in, like the Poltergust (which would be exactly like the game).

Regardless, the Poltergust needs to make an appearance with Luigi: even if they do something like make it his Final Smash, one similar to R.O.B.'s.
I actually kind of like the idea of the flashlight being a stuncounter instead of Marths attack counter.. It would give people sweet spot time for his Up-B hahaha. Maybe that would be a little too good.

UndiaperedBaby

Smash Apprentice
I actually kind of like the idea of the flashlight being a stuncounter instead of Marths attack counter.. It would give people sweet spot time for his Up-B hahaha. Maybe that would be a little too good.

There's a lot of ways they could work the flashlight in. Even something like having the effect change depending on the opponent's movement. If they're attacking, they get stunned or countered, if they're in the air it works as a meteor smash somehow, and if they're running if works like a banana would and they stumble and fall. I don't know, there are a tone of possibilities.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
There's a lot of ways they could work the flashlight in. Even something like having the effect change depending on the opponent's movement. If they're attacking, they get stunned or countered, if they're in the air it works as a meteor smash somehow, and if they're running if works like a banana would and they stumble and fall. I don't know, there are a tone of possibilities.
I'm not sure where they'd work it in either really. Also what would you think of the Thunderhand from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga as a move for him? I doubt it would happen but what would you think

Top Bottom