• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Luigi being a clone makes sense though. In the Mario series, his abilities rarely differ that much from Marios.
  • Jumps Higher
  • Is more slippery
  • Use Polterguster instead of FLUDD
  • Is more scared than Mario in general
  • Doesn't express true feelings (except in SPM when he was Mr.L
  • A bit more shyer

It's a small list, but....

I don't think Luigi should be a clone.

I want Polterguster as his grab as well.

#LuigiForGodTierInSm4sh

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
  • Jumps Higher
  • Is more slippery
  • Use Polterguster instead of FLUDD
  • Is more scared than Mario in general
  • Doesn't express true feelings (except in SPM when he was Mr.L
  • A bit more shyer
2 of those are already done with his current moveset, and 3 of the rest can't really be reflected in his moves.

Implementing Poltergust in any form would feel gimmicky, just like how FLUDD felt gimmicky and tacked on for Mario.

Also, clones aren't as big of a problem as people like to pretend they are. There's only about 5 or 6, and most of them are clones of different characters, unlike in some games(*cough* Street Fighter *cough* KoF *cough*) where all the clones are based of one moveset.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
Implementing Poltergust in any form would feel gimmicky, just like how FLUDD felt gimmicky and tacked on for Mario.
This is how I feel about the Poltergust's possible inclusion. As much as I love Luigi's Mansion, I can't see a viable use for it in play.

With that said, I too would like to see a buff in his mobility. Perhaps make him just faster than Mario, but make his air speed significantly higher. It should compliment his already lightning-quick aerials.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Perhaps make him just faster than Mario, but make his air speed significantly higher. It should compliment his already lightning-quick aerials.
Yep, like in SMG. He runs faster but takes more time to build up speed.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
With this whole Year of Luigi thing Nintendo is using, I wouldn't be surprised if Luigi is unveiled first at E3 2013
amongst Kirby, Link and Pikachu (And dare I say it? Possibly Instead of Mario? :troll:).
I can even see this YoL affecting Luigi's play-style a lot more for SSB4. I think, and hope as well, that Luigi does utilize tricks and gadgets he has acquired in Luigi's Manison 1 & 2 as well as the new Mario & Luigi RPG game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I honestly can't see many changes with Luigi. I know most would want the Poltergust to be implemented is some fashion. But the main issue is...how? Should it be used for throws? As a command grab to replace his Down-B? Maybe his Final Smash can be changed to include it. If it is implemented I hope it isn't gimmicky or anything like that.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How about to implement Poltergust 5000 and the Strobulb. His grab would be now special that uses the Poltergust. When you use it, Luigi will stand still and start vacuuming. His vacuum will start to pull in both items and enemies when close. If they get to close they will get sucked up. Just like a regular grab though they can break free. His down special is replaced to use the Strobulb. The longer you charge it the longer your enemies will be stunned. You can move around similar to that of King Dedede's down special while charging it. This move complements his Up B by giving him a perfect opening to use it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I honestly can't see many changes with Luigi. I know most would want the Poltergust to be implemented is some fashion. But the main issue is...how? Should it be used for throws? As a command grab to replace his Down-B? Maybe his Final Smash can be changed to include it. If it is implemented I hope it isn't gimmicky or anything like that.
I mean there are a couple ways to implement the poltergust. It can work very similar to Mr. G&W's bucket, where Luigi can suck up projectiles and then fire it all back in one shot. It can also be used as a long ranged grab

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
How about to implement Poltergust 5000 and the Strobulb. His grab would be now special that uses the Poltergust. When you use it, Luigi will stand still and start vacuuming. His vacuum will start to pull in both items and enemies when close. If they get to close they will get sucked up. Just like a regular grab though they can break free. His down special is replaced to use the Strobulb. The longer you charge it the longer your enemies will be stunned. You can move around similar to that of King Dedede's down special while charging it. This move complements his Up B by giving him a perfect opening to use it.
I think the only way to avoid that becoming one of the most broken combos in smash history would be nerfing his up special significantly. If we want smash 4 to have a competitive feel, we can't turn characters into one trick ponys on the battlefield.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean there are a couple ways to implement the poltergust. It can work very similar to Mr. G&W's bucket, where Luigi can suck up projectiles and then fire it all back in one shot. It can also be used as a long ranged grab
The long range throw seems like a good idea for the poltergust.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Another thing:

Maybe use Mr.L as a final smash or another transformation?
But Mr. L isn't actually more powerful than normal Luigi. He's just Luigi in a costume and more confidence. He would be cool as an alternate costume but not a transformation or Final Smash.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
But Mr. L isn't actually more powerful than normal Luigi. He's just Luigi in a costume and more confidence. He would be cool as an alternate costume but not a transformation or Final Smash.
I was saying for the final smash that either:

- He auto transforms into Mr.L and brings out Brobot

Or

-Dimentio comes out and hypnotises Luigi and forms Super Dimentio.

Though, the transformation does sound stupid now thatI look at it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was saying for the final smash that either:

- He auto transforms into Mr.L and brings out Brobot

Or

-Dimentio comes out and hypnotises Luigi and forms Super Dimentio.

Though, the transformation does sound stupid now thatI look at it.
You never actually clarified what you were saying.

I'd rather he keep his current Final Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Luigi's Final Smash should have him bring out his poltergust 5000 and expel the boos from it which then attack other players. :)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I brought this up in the roster discussion thread but what do you think about Luigi having his own series, i.e. Luigi's Mansion series? Yoshi has gotten one despite having games totally based in the Mario universe with Mario often in the game and Bowser as well.

Wario also has his own series despite technically being a Mario character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I brought this up in the roster discussion thread but what do you think about Luigi having his own series, i.e. Luigi's Mansion series? Yoshi has gotten one despite having games totally based in the Mario universe with Mario often in the game and Bowser as well.

Wario also has his own series despite technically being a Mario character.
Personally, I think he's fine as he is. No need to say he reps his own series.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't think we need the Vacuum. Besides, Mario got something similar and it sucked; a lot of people want the tornado to return instead. Plus, Luigi's down B is pretty boss.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think we need the Vacuum. Besides, Mario got something similar and it sucked; a lot of people want the tornado to return instead. Plus, Luigi's down B is pretty boss.
You mean it blow's. :troll:

But honestly, I don't think Luigi really needs the Poltergust 5000 either, Mario should get his star spin from the Galaxy games (It's the closest thing for the Mario Tornado, really) And Luigi can keep his old tornado. They might change it though anyway, who knows. :/

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just for fun, I present you:

LUIGI SUCKS 'N BLOWS: Luigified Newigi for Sm4sh

Since Dark Moon is out and it's a hell of a fun game, I thought about a completely revamped Luigi to appear in the next Super Smash Bros.

The smash attacks can stay the same, I'll focus on the specials.

NORMAL B SPECIAL: Flash Torch. In Dark Moon, Luigi can charge his torch to release a giant flash which stuns ghosts and makes him able to capture them. In Smash Bros., it would deal a fair amount of damage if used at its maximum power (let's say 5%, with 1% dealt at minimum by simply pressing the button) making the opponent tripping. It would probably become his most used special because it's a good opening for combos.

UP B RECOVERY SPECIAL: Balloon. In Dark Moon Luigi can find balloons and put them in his vacuum. By blowing in them, he can use them to levitate in the air. You can see this here at minute 9:00. In Sm4sh, this special is similar to R.O.B.'s. It doesn't deal any damage, but it's the highest recovery in the game. By pressing up+B once, you'll start to levitate, but you'll have to keep B pressed to gain height. By releasing B, the balloon will simply lose air and you'll slowly fall to the ground (similar to Peach's umbrella). You can stop this move by pressing basically every other buttons. The balloon explodes after a bit.

SIDE B SPECIAL: Poltergust 5000. This is like Kirby's normal B but with more power. You can also control your vacuum similar to Bowser's normal B with the control stick. You can also move, even if slower, while doing this. The attack will deal 1% of damage every second the opponent is in the vacuum's range, and you'll need 5 seconds to completely suck your opponent in the Poltergeist 5000 (making the normal B special essential for this). After that, you will be in a slower state similar to when Donkey Kong grabs an opponent. By pressing B again in any direction, you will blow your opponent out dealing 10% of damage.
This move can work with items too: in fact Luigi can suck till a max of three different items, and then blow them out as projectiles which deal different amount of damage based on the item.

DOWN B SPECIAL: The same from Brawl, since I can't think of any better!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Vintage Creep
I like the moveset. :)
Though I'd prefer to keep his Fireballs.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
What I think makes sense for his poltergust is using it as a special. While the button's held down, you can indicate directions and vacuum, and when you suck in a player or an item it gets clogged. While stuck in the vacuum, players can press buttons to try to escape as Luigi takes aim. The next button press will make the vacuum tip swell up with air pressure and launch the object in the direction indicated. Distance launched would not be based on percentage

The directional controls could either just work in the direction indicated or they could be like the Cracker Launcher where you can still run left/right and adjust up and down.

If you suck in a fire/explosive projectile/item, instead of getting clogged it will switch to a flame thrower mode. Until he exhausts his newly acquired flame fuel, instead of sucking he will spray flame in the direction indicated.

Similar things would happen with ice or water projectiles/items and maybe other elements as well. In Luigi's Mansion he could absorb Fire, Water, and Ice.

I think that would make the poltergust useful both offensively/defensively... It could replace Neutral, Side, or Down.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It should be able to suck an opponent towards the mouth, and once they're against the mouth Luigi should be able to aim where he shoots them away, like certain items in the games.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think Luigi should also utilize his flutter jump. It doesn't let him float like Yoshi's flutter jump, instead he slows down his fall as seen in Super Mario 64 DS and most recently, in the Super Luigi U trailer that was revealed 2 days ago.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know what they should do for a Smash 4 trailer? At the end they should show Luigi come in, he stumbles on a pebble, but rights himself before he can fall. He cheers and the caption says "NO MORE TRIPPING!"

PixelChaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
PixelChaos
Luigi's Up B was him spinning the nozzle of the poltergust like a helicopter.
Down b would be like peach, but he can stand on other characters and pick them up with down b. he has no step stool
standard b is him cowering in fear
side b is luigi going "bang bang" and instant killing everybody in front of his line of sight.
If you dash luigi trips. always. You can only tiptoe
neutral A is him giving up
Out of movelist ideas at the moment

Top Bottom