• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Doubles Discussion: Lucario

NNID
LilG912
Good Attributes

Good combo ability, decent ground game, good killing power, Luigi can be the stock tank.

Bad Attributes

Fox can get juggled, chain grabbed, he can killed easily if the Fox player cannot DI properly, and he can get shield grabbed easily (b/c of his aerials).

Characters to watch out for

MK, Pikachu, Olimar, G&W, and not Sheik cuz Luigi can just mess up her ftilt spam if she tries to perform it on Fox.

Stage Picking

All neutrals, RC, & Delfino (Fox can infinite characters on wall w/ his reflector)

Advance Team Techniques

Fox can hold the opponent while Luigi runs up and Up-B him or Luigi can hold the opponent while Fox do charge up up-smash.

Is the team viable?

This team is viable, I'll give a 6 imo.

Variable

Smash Ace
Good Attributes

Good combo ability, decent ground game, good killing power, Luigi can be the stock tank.

Bad Attributes

Fox can get juggled, chain grabbed, he can killed easily if the Fox player cannot DI properly, and he can get shield grabbed easily (b/c of his aerials).

Characters to watch out for

MK, Pikachu, Olimar, G&W, and not Sheik cuz Luigi can just mess up her ftilt spam if she tries to perform it on Fox.

Stage Picking

All neutrals, RC, & Delfino (Fox can infinite characters on wall w/ his reflector)

Advance Team Techniques

Fox can hold the opponent while Luigi runs up and Up-B him or Luigi can hold the opponent while Fox do charge up up-smash.

Is the team viable?

This team is viable, I'll give a 6 imo.
Granted, Fox can get juggled occasionally but shouldn't consistantly be a problem. He can shine stall and force the opponent into attacking early, and Dair, Nair is good from recovering from above. Also you really won't have to worry about Pikachu or anybody with a CG on Fox. It's doubles I doubt he'll get in more than just a few grabs, if at all. 6 is too low. I'd say 7 at the very lowest.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah I completely agree. Chaingrabs and locks shouldn't be applicable to doubles matches. Well at least the ones specific to Shiek and Pikachu. Both characters require a while to actually rack considerable damage, as opposed to like, fthrow>fsmash from Marth. Fox doesn't get shieldgrabbed too easily, if he spaces with Auto-Canceled moves and shield-pressures with jabs.

I would give the team at least a 7 as well. It's not that they work perfectly and excellently together, but given the right players and strategies this team is completely worthy and has little flaws imo.

Variable

Smash Ace
Yeah I completely agree. Chaingrabs and locks shouldn't be applicable to doubles matches. Well at least the ones specific to Shiek and Pikachu. Both characters require a while to actually rack considerable damage, as opposed to like, fthrow>fsmash from Marth. Fox doesn't get shieldgrabbed too easily, if he spaces with Auto-Canceled moves and shield-pressures with jabs.

I would give the team at least a 7 as well. It's not that they work perfectly and excellently together, but given the right players and strategies this team is completely worthy and has little flaws imo.
Yeah 7 to 8 IMO. Not too much higher than 8.

paterack7

Smash Rookie
Oh wow I was JUST about to post a topic asking for some help on a Luigi teammate.

My personal vote goes for someone like Marth with his counter. Luigi has a ton of strong KB moves that would go well with Marth and his speed attacks.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i haven't really seen olimar ever in doubles, um i really can't see him doing good in doubles, tether recovery can get you screwed over. ._. boss teams with that olimar i've seen, but i really don't have any info on anything to help with this. D:

Geddan

Smash Ace
both characters are able to cover each other well. luigi covers the close range game that olimar lacks, while olimar has his amazing ability to zone midrange. luigi's aerials cover the air game so that olimar can focus on stage control which is what he does best. also, olimar grab + shoryuken is amazing.

i don't really know much, just saying so in advance.

Variable

Smash Ace
Yeah Olimar is a less popular character, so like everyone else my knowledge is limited. But for the most part they work well because they are complete opposites. Olimar can cover the parts luigi can't. (Ground game, + Range. and Vice versa.)

NNID
LilG912
Good Attibutes: Very good aerial game and good matchups, Olimar covers him very well in matchups, good DI. Olimar got the ground, Luigi got the both, but his aerial game is slightly better.

Bad Attibutes: Idk, range, Olimar's poor recovery

Characters to watch out for: MK, Marth. They outclass them in range.

Stage Picking: Battlefield, Halberd, Yoshi's Island, Delfino Plaza, & Brinstar. Olimar is 2 gud @ that, spamming up-air through platforms = ****.

Advance Team Techs: Olimar's grab > Luigi's Shoryuken, easy.

Is this team viable: This team is totallllly viable, I say 9

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Olimar is one of the best best teammates for Luigi along with Lucario, Game and Watch, Snake, and MK .

It is a great teammate as Olimar can space the ground while Luigi can space the air. The matchup allows quick up B kills along with f-smash kills.

The main issue is recovery as both of them are quite terrible at it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hello, i was going to post in the general discussion but i see Luigi also has a doubles thread going.

Anyway i would like to invite Luigi players to discuss a Luigi and Link team here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274758

I figure it would help both boards fill out their teams thread.

Well thanks in advance to anyone who decides to participate.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i think this good be a really good wifi team, i haven't played peach offline but, peach is pro at wifi combos, with luigi's kill power it could be a really good team :S

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
she also can hold off two people when weegee is recovering she is very good team mate but can get gimped easily due to most of the teams having mk(really gay)and also wario i say we could use more peach players assistant on this b4 i can set a good # on this team i had no problems doing this team just mk.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Luigi kills right?

Conclusion: good teammate for Peach.

NNID
LilG912
Good Attributes -

Peach is very good @ racking up damage w/ her dairs. She always have her ways when the match-ups is not slightly not in her favor. Good projectile and aerial game. Good recovery. Like I said before, ppl find her annoying when she can pressure on her opponents.

Bad Attributes -

Peach is terrible @ killing. Many players predicts her f-air when it comes to killing. She have the worst airdodge in the game, characters can easily kill her w/ charged smash attack. MK can gimp her easily offstage.

Characters to watch out for -

MK and Snake. Luigi and Peach can handle high tiers like Olimar mostly. MK can predict Luigi's recovery and can gimp Peach just easily offstage.

Stage Picking -

All neutrals, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Brinstar, Pictochat. Avoid Frigate b/c Peach's recovery doesn't look gud on the right side of the stage, the floating platform would give her trouble if she tries to recover.

Advance Team Techs -

Peach's grab release on Wario to Luigi's up-b, wait for Peach to release him, Luigi jumps in the air to do up-B or the grab > up-B.

Is the team viable?

Yes, due to good match-ups, Peach covers Luigi in poor matchups w/ high tiers while Luigi covers Peach for killing. I say 7.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Luigi + peach isn't too bad. I have teamed with a Peach though mostly online. One of my favorite things is to catch Peach's turnips and then Backwards DACUS into an f-smash or something. Peach is a big damage giver and Luigi can kill

The issue is that there are top tier characters to worry about. Marth, MK, Wario and to an extent D3, Lucario, Wario, and Marth are still going to be extremely good vs these characters. Neither of these characters excel vs these people (pardon the Excel joke).

Luigi+Peach in my opinion is the best Mid tier doubles team. Luigi is overall probably the best at killing in mid-tier doubles (in terms of speed and punishing combined, not just power) and Peach is the best at raking damage. Sheik + Luigi is probably a close second.

Mid tier: 10/10
All tiers: 6.5/10

Top Bottom