• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi is broken

Magus420

Smash Master
mangoose
Smash n00b
Hahahahaha
Trust me, I'd have more posts on the forum if I johned as much as you did. :(

I would way rather fight a pro Snake then a pro Luigi any day.
Luigi beats his *** quite well, I don't know if G&W belongs up there, although I haven't really fought a pro.
Hey Mikey, I hope you see this thread and agree with me that Luigi is top tier.
Luigi's Nair could stop Jesus's resurrection.
Luigi and Wario have the most insane recoveries for their character (barring the obvious Rob and MK).

The worst, to me, is Zelda's. Why? I main her and I hate her go**** teleport. It's ridiculously hard to aim and has terrible lag when you land, not to mention the long cast time. Your screwed unless you land precisely on the edge, which is difficult due to the nature of the distance and timing it requires.
Get ***** :laugh:

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Ok honestly if he thinks Luigi is broken that is his opinion, cheap also his opinion I don't care. Here we are all of us defending or unproving if Luigi is or is not broken etc. Look while I don't mind posts like this, this one has gotten a bit far. While other boards are discussing how to improve their character or make new discoveries with that characters here we are at the Luigi boards trying to see if Luigi is broken or not. I don't wanna sound harsh or anything but it is the truth :(.
Hmm, why don't you start a thread for new discoveries then? Don't take the term "cheap" too harshly though, it wasn't intended as an insult to luigi. Being "cheap" and being "broken" are two different things.

As far as luigi being top tier, we need more tourney wins for him, I mean he's good, but he isn't that great against top teir characters...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hmm, why don't you start a thread for new discoveries then? Don't take the term "cheap" too harshly though, it wasn't intended as an insult to luigi. Being "cheap" and being "broken" are two different things.

As far as luigi being top tier, we need more tourney wins for him, I mean he's good, but he isn't that great against top teir characters...
FYI, he already has a thread on discoveries basically covering and improving Luigi's metagame.
He's pretty much right though, if he want's to rant about how Luigi is broken and such, then let him be. I'd like to have Luigi as underrated as possible so that I can make people go "WOW that luigi pwnt me"! with humilation moves.

All the other boards such as Diddy Kong are already a step ahead or maybe even 2 in improving their character's metagame and not ranting how broken their character is.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
cHooKay said:

For the record, I created the Luigi guide and also have created the Luigi strat and setup discoveries thread. As taking the term cheap or broken harshly I don't really care if he is or not I just like using the character its just the fact that we are wasting most of our time here in this thread discussing if he is or is not cheap or broken. But if you kinda look at it, Magus, Leprechaun_Drunk, Eten, and some others are the ones that are here trying to get Luigi to the top of his game, if you take a look at all of the other boards, the community as a whole has something to apply to their specific character; in making him/her better.

hippiedude92 said:
All the other boards such as Diddy Kong are already a step ahead or maybe even 2 in improving their character's metagame and not ranting how broken their character is.
Quoted for truth and it's going in my sig as well lol.

Also, this is kinda like the last time I'll post in this thread, let's just let this thread be and carry on with our lives...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm thinking of making a dedicated thread about Luigi vs MK since it is his hardest matchup and maybe a throw guide since they seem to be overlooked and I keep looking at diddy kong boards it just makes me more eager to improve luigi. Because really Luigi has the potential, it's just matter of stepping up, improving his meta-game and such etc..

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of making a dedicated thread about Luigi vs MK since it is his hardest matchup and maybe a throw guide since they seem to be overlooked and I keep looking at diddy kong boards it just makes me more eager to improve luigi. Because really Luigi has the potential, it's just matter of stepping up, improving his meta-game and such etc..
Hey, I made a guide on a single B Move. Why not?

..Course that'll have to wait til after my vacation. Someone else could do it too.

There's really a million guides you could make for each character; it jsut takes a person to actually make these things indepth.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hey, I made a guide on a single B Move. Why not?

..Course that'll have to wait til after my vacation. Someone else could do it too.

There's really a million guides you could make for each character; it jsut takes a person to actually make these things indepth.
Haha I wish. It's just that I have NO expreience in writing guides what so ever, no exprenice against a Mk only from what I know, which is not enough. Also time seems to be flying by even though it's summer vacation. I'll go nuts if I have to make a guide constructive. It's as if I'm writing a hardcore essay to get myself into college. :p

Btw, that fireball guide was pretty handful, had some handy ideas. xD Deserves a sticky :p

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
FYI, he already has a thread on discoveries basically covering and improving Luigi's metagame.
He's pretty much right though, if he want's to rant about how Luigi is broken and such, then let him be. I'd like to have Luigi as underrated as possible so that I can make people go "WOW that luigi pwnt me"! with humilation moves.

Bro, I definitely do not take luigi lightly at all, so don't place me into that catagory. :chuckle:

Luigi has too much KO potential, which makes him cheap in a way, but for some reason I never, EVER, seen a great luigi player dominate in a tourney. That's all I'm saying on that matter. Luigi can be cheap, which is a good thing, and shouldn't be taken lightly at all, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't be at all upset or embarrassed losing to a luigi mainer at all...

solidxgeo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GeoDude
bullS-H-I-T! luigi is not ****ing broken! he is badass and could kick anyones *** period! peace!

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
Luigi is much better than people know, in melee he was very ignored and when you played one you didn't know what to expect and then you got this crazy priority and air game. Now in Brawl all these new characters steal the limelight even more and now the majority has it in thier minds that Snake and MK are the most powerful(Or broken as you would put it =/) characters. Today I surfed through a couple character specific threads and I found one in particular in the G&W thread where some guy was saying G&W was broken and while surfing through that topic people were naming all these other characters and stating how they were broken, and they displayed thier point in a proper manner.

But my main point which I took awhile to get to with all this background stuff is that it seems like almost every character has been called broken at one point or another and I think we are starting to confuse the word broken with a character's advantage. Each character has a trait which makes them special and gives them an edge and if a player can utilize it in the proper way, they will win. No one is broken...just find a way to get around what your opponent is doing instead of walking into a losing match.

OMG QFT so hard, i'm new here and personally i could not have said this any better myself, i've been playing luigi as my main since SSB and used him in SSBM and now in SSBB, i know how to use him, and he's good if you know how to use him. BUT look at every character in the game, they all have a cheap or broken something. Go through the list everycharacter has something that can be used very well and effective, either a shield, a spam, a spike etc... any character can edge guard, so just by using smash attacks and positioning with any character you can win. So don't hate on the character who's owning you, hate on the person who's playing you that's better than you who is owning.

Weegi has had his Up+B since ssb and it has always been very powerful, and on the flipside it also has the possibility to do 1% if off the slightest bit, and can be stopped by the shield fairly easily. His smash attacks are strong, and fairly fast and yes every one can send you, but look at bowser, he can take 200 dmg and stay alive and all of his smash attacks are quick and can kill also even though he is supposed to be slow and heavy his down smash and b-side are fast and can kill. Luigis recovery is good if you are playing against a noob, any character with a projectile can drop the missile in it's tracks and leave luigi up b-ing for hislife while he falls with 15% damage to his early death, and to use his down b you need to have a upward motion as you do it or you will not rise far/you will fall. Complain about his recovery all you want, pit can fly 4 jumps and then use up b wings that will take you off the screen from FD floor, and he can soar to get back like weegis missile but better, let me just show you a way to look at things, i'll do 3 characters known to be cheap or "broken" then 3 characters people might think suck or are lower tier, but i will show pros and cons of the character and that will show why no one character is cheap and others suck. i will also provide a YT combo video for all 6 characters to show if your good SSBB has done a great job of making a great game with competitive fairly even playing field

MK-has great up+b that can raise hell well attacking people off the map and on it, while it can launch the opponent off the side of the stage and send MK soaring back to a safe landing, if done incorrectly or at the wrong time it will do minimal damage and with any slip up can leave you plundering to your death on the side of the stage trying to fall and hope to land on the edge or just barely make it back, he also has a great up air that can be used in rapid sucession to put tons of damage on the opponent grinding up their % before the glorious KO, but this move can be stopped by a simple b-down from, yoshi, kirby, bowser, Ice climbers and other down smashes work as well, MK last broken or cheap move, the 'spammy' tornado, while giving the ability to add tons of damage to the opponent MK is vulnerable when he is coming down and can be smash attacked with ease with no chance of air dodging, all in all MK is a grinder, he puts a ton of damage on you with small fast hits, but his tragic flaw is he is a light-medium character and can be sent easily by a lightly charged smash attack

great combo video credit to DOJO- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzNzaPJKSbs

Pit-What doesn't he have? You've got a nice b spam projectile that you can aim, a down B reflector shield, a side-b spam attack that can put mass damage on you and reflects certain projectiles, he also has a great up+B recovery that flies farther than any other characters up+b in the game, plus he has 4 jumps with his regular wings, and on the fourth by holding the jump button he can soar back to the map and deliver a nice slash attack. and his smash attacks are all solid, he can down smash and hit both sides and his others are mostly kill smashes, Where are pits down falls? He has a great up+b but, if hit by a projectile he can not re-summon his blue wings, as if you where fox you could just fire fox up over and over every time you get hit, his projectile spam can be reflected by all of fox's crew, and absorbed by ness and if facing pikachu this flying angel can be sent to heaven with a down b spam by pika, because when hit you get sent up and with pit always flying he is easily sent off the top of the stage, Pit is a great character nice flying skills good overall, but he is only medium and is also ko'd fairly easily and has several bad matchups (ie pika-kirby, kirby ducks under arrows and reverses the whole spam game using his own arrows)

combo video credit to Kupo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5T1kdd5teg&feature=related

Pika-Nice small target with a shocking power, has a great recovery using his side b to launch back and a great double move up+b to recover, nice down smash that puts good damage up, great down b spam that hits even when it appears to be over for a slight second after still does damage and can send characters off the top of the map with ease no matter the damage, spam a few down b's and there a stwinkle in the sky behind the stage or a face smashed to the camera, side smash is great has good range and damage and can send you to your death easily, the side b can launch pike across the stage at a high speed and connect with high % given and send you faily far most often to your death, pikas downfalls are that projectile spamming on the edge can stop the side b recovery and leave him falling hoping for a great up+b safe, the down b can be reflected and absorbed and work hard agaianst the cute little electric rat, he is light-medium and can be sent easily, but is great at edge guarding with his up from the stage to the edge like lucario does

combo video

now to the bad or crappy characters... or so they say

Peach- She has a killer side smash attack that changes between 3 weapons, a frying pan (damage) a golf club (ranged attack) and a tennis racket (launching speed), peach has a great b reflector with toad that can add nice damage will grinding down the opponent, she can levitate witch is great for throwing off opponents smash attack timing, her up b also allows her to drop and re-open her umbrella at will throwing off timing, she has a great down b item spawn that can be used great in combos with a dash and smash or grab to end the attack getting damage up fast, her b-side is slow but does a good amount of damage and sends the opponent flying and with peaches air talents when the opponent is off the stage it is open season for % to fly up or Ko's to happen, he weakness is she is light and KO'd easily(but every one underestimates you and that will give you an advantage :laugh:) she also lacks some speed but with good movement can dominate

combo video- http://youtube.com/watch?v=E9OfEl3cSb0 credit to nikok

Craptain falcon? i don't think so, this the falcon punch is a hard one to hit but packs a lot of damage and a nice flight across/off the stage, falcons jumping side smash is like luigi in that it can do murdering damage or about 5, but if it's hit right have a nice ride to the side of the stage for a KO, he's very quick and his b-side allows him to set up a great amount of combos leaving you to get smacked around in the air, and can be used as a spike near the edge, and if you connect with the up b close to the edge of the stage it's curtains for you with little or no damage, the falcon kick does little damage but is easy to spam and hit often and can be used from nice angles in the air and a good combo finisher, his weakness is he has some moves like foxes quick attack that if you miss close to the edge you drop to your death, his recovery isn't great but he's fairly fast for being a medium-heavy character who bounces and flies fairly well but is a pain to finish, major flaw is a lack of projectiles and a good recovery and with no spammy move or reflector/sorb shields he can be considered bad, but if you use him right he can **** hard as MK or snake

vids or shens? here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHIB__ADjw&feature=related

I can't think of a 3rd character who's considered low tier so i'd say lucas or diddy kong are usually considered bad?

Diddy- great recovery, the side b and then up b has a great range, you should never fall to your death without being spiked with this acrobat, he is one of the best edge guarders imo, he has a great powerful spike and his side b in the air stuns the opponent leaving them to fall u hump there face then jump back up the safe edge and wait for them to try and recover before being spiked or edge guarded, on stage he's a nice tricky character, his bananas make every one slip as much as weegi does normally :laugh: but there great for throwing off peoples game, and can be used well in dashes to pick one up throw it and start smash attack comboing the opponent to the edg, the gun is okay to spam but not great hey it's % though, diddy doesn't have an up smash attack that sends the opponent, his side and down do but it's a semi delimma i think and his recovery can hit the stage and not the edge and ko yourself and he is stopped by projectiles from recovering easy he is a medium character who seems to be a damage magnet and always gets high percent fast for some reason, i'd recomend shielding a lot, but he doesn't usually get sent around 70-80 i normally see him killed at 110+%

combo video http://youtube.com/watch?v=zxFkTdCbRTg

okay very long post coming to an end i am just going to clear some things up
When i play it's 3 lives on Final d or battlefield or smashville or yoshis island, no levels with great distraction/ outside forces, we do not use final smashes, when they are on i think who ever gets the most wins and there not commonly on in tournaments so i don't use them, they make u not depend on stick skills and more on FS skills, i know many people say there are no combos in brawl, i disagree... look some of falcons up and many other characters, i don't edge guard, i can i just don't luigi is not broken, nor is snake, pit, Mk, pika etc... no one is horrible no one is dominent it is all a matter of being able to use the character they all have great special talents just learn to tap into it and even the "worst" characters can own

sorry pika video link is not there... YT has no good brawl videos of him i didn't feel like using a melee one. but if you don't believe every character is good search there name brawl and combo or w.e video and you will see all characters are top tier and dojo has got a great game with even playing fields... so long? wow this is my first post... the names brett and sorry for using nooby slang/terms i am new here and will pick up forums talk soon enough i just play the game and don't no what a lot of the stuff is called but i get how it works...

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
luigi is not roken he is just a real good char. so just deal withit ok? like seriously dude wtf is wrong withu. u proly just a wack player that u always complain of every char. so just stop k? and just get etter

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
Luigi I play just for kicks, I'm not a serious Luigi player. However, I do see the many good things about him such as his absolutely BEASTLY air game and the things that he can do in the air to make people fear him should they try and beat him on his level. Even his ground game isn't terrible, but I don't think that all his good attributes are cause to make him "broken". Like he lacks a good, solid projectile, his fireball is SLOW and WEAK, with hardly any stun or knockback.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Luigi has too much KO potential, which makes him cheap in a way, but for some reason I never, EVER, seen a great luigi player dominate in a tourney.
I think the reason for that is if you main Luigi in a tourney and get a DDD opponent in a blind draw your fairly screwed. MK can be a b**** too. DDD and MK are now two of the top three most played characters in tourneys and they both give Luigi a hard time, so people choose to play their other mains instead of Luigi at tourneys. I feel like I could whoop on most people in a tourney with Luigi but the chance of running into a DDD and getting 0-death comboed doesn't appeal to me.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
Luigi is not broken like alaxe said DDD infinate grab to your death and MK can **** u in the air where ur best at, but you cant say luigi is broken because the last tourney i was at no one even played him. that tourney i mained link and i was one of the 2 links there so if ur gonna say luigi is broken and blah blah blah look at it this way quit *****ing kuz ya are not going to see many of us around.

The next tourney i have is on july 26th and i am maining luigi and ill let ya all know if im the only one there maining the Green cuban missile crisis.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Great job feeding the troll guys. Really, excellent work.
He is not a troll he is a frustrated player with a valid argument.... HAAHAHA XD Stop wasting time complaining and find a way to beat WeeGee, maybe try to not suck so hard?

ADHD

Smash Hero
He is a pain in the ***, but really just shield immediately when he feels like jabbing and beat that pimp wit your favorite hoe slap.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is not broken like alaxe said DDD infinate grab to your death and MK can **** u in the air where ur best at, but you cant say luigi is broken because the last tourney i was at no one even played him. that tourney i mained link and i was one of the 2 links there so if ur gonna say luigi is broken and blah blah blah look at it this way quit *****ing kuz ya are not going to see many of us around.

The next tourney i have is on july 26th and i am maining luigi and ill let ya all know if im the only one there maining the Green cuban missile crisis.
I believe its the Luigi Missile Crisis. I was discussing this with a friend earlier before I even saw what you wrote and we both agreed that would be an awesome name for a Luigi combo video.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
He is not a troll he is a frustrated player with a valid argument.... HAAHAHA XD Stop wasting time complaining and find a way to beat WeeGee, maybe try to not suck so hard?
You hit the nail on the head here. Again, I'm the Luigi main he plays against so frequently, and I'm pretty sure its just frustration. I picked up Wolf and won around 10 or so matches in a row last night, and lo and behold he started saying the same things about Wolf. Interesting eh?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Liar liar pants on fire, I did not ever even once say Wolf was broken. I said Wolf was high tier - which he is, a general look around any section on Smashboards can agree to that.

Oh hey, who did your Wolf lose to?
My Captain Falcon. Hmm.

Sup Dawg

Smash Apprentice
I may be an Ike main, but I've defeated many opponents with my Luigi.

While I can't disagree with anyone who says he's broken, and while I agree he's lethal in the hands of a pro, I believe that he's one of those character that constantly trumps and gets trumped by other characters. So while he can be dangerous, he can also be predictable (in my opinion), and (again in my opinion, is) therefore a character who reflects your skill as a brawler.

Think about it. Yes he is capable of long strings of attacks, but not everyone can pull them off, and not everyone will let him perform them. So it all depends on how you look at it...

Killress

Smash Ace
???

****ing rediculuoos man. i'm ****ed up but still knw that you full of crap lo,l/ h's not broken dude. he's got a lot of bad match-up sagainst top tier characters man. dude like seriously wtf lol.
dude seriously wtf lol. i;m ****ed out of my mind right now but i still know that what your syaing is rong.

Illiterate much? :confused:

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
Like someone said, neither Luigi is broken nor MK or snake.
I would call snake maybe broken if he had sheik speed.
Between top and broken are a few steps.
and luigi? broken? no way.
Then I could also say: "Ganondorf is broken. If I get hit from him with 60% with his Falcon Punch of Darkness, or something, I die. thats sooo unfair, that broken!"
But **** man, he's so slow, that in a race against the sandbag, he would lose!(And I would like to point out that the Sandbag does not have legs....)
Luigi might be good but hes beatable.

Oh hey, who did your Wolf lose to?
My Captain Falcon. Hmm.
Probely you won because your perhap just a better player, doesn't have to mean wolf is lower tier than CF.

64supermario

Smash Rookie
Luigi is far from being broken but I don't need to explain almost everyone whos posted has said something I would say already

Wow. This thread is great. I joined the forums recently, and am a Sonic main. I want to get into the tourney scene with my Midwest friends, and was told by my friend (and pretty much SSBM trainer) to go with someone else. I could fair well with Sonic, but if I put as much work into another character as I do Sonic, I could probably win more than one out of fifty (or more) matches.

I decided to go Luigi. Why? Because he has good priority, and the UpB is a darn good move. His recovery can be good, if you can get in place to sweet spot, but he is not THAT great of a character.

Seriously, Pyle, you tried to prove his brokenness by putting up a video of a Luigi against a BAD R.O.B. player?

How about we get a video of me playing MK and my friend playing Sonic? I don't ever play MK, don't know his move set, and am not that great at playing the game. The person playing Sonic would be pretty good at the game, and have practiced enough with Sonic to know the character. When that player beats MK as Sonic, would that make Sonic good?

Nope. That just means I fail at MK and he wins at beating a failed MK player. Congrats. Not that hard.

Also, if Luigi was so **** broken, I should have been able to beat my friends when I first picked up the character. I wasn't. I was able to get the UpB off once, and that was after they screwed up heavily on an attack or just weren't paying attention to what they were doing. All you have to do is powershield or not be stupid. If you're above 50% health and you aren't hopping around, you deserve to get slaughtered by the UpB.

Also, comboing into the UpB is difficult, as you have to time it right, or you'll hit the other player while they are slightly in the air from the hit. They have to be totally grounded to get the instakill. So dude.

Stop johning.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Oh my goodness, we really need to buy ourselves a mod to delete threads like these and start buying people to discover some new AT's and discoveries for the WeeGee. Btw @ CFA poster above, if anything keep Luigi a main or maybe a secondary cus he gots teh sexah taunt spike x]

Oh yeah, I've been wanting to perfect that. I near mastered killing people with Sonic's springboard, it is a humiliation I love to put upon people. But I know if I was spiked by the taunt, I would be honored.

Top Bottom