• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi is broken

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
This is a ridiculous thread. Luigi is far from broken. You're just bad at this game. Deal with it.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Luigi is one of those characters who seem like ****(Like Olimar, DK and to some extent the n00b Wolf players think that Fox/Falco suck) but when used at their full/high potential they kick ***. If you say Luigi should be banned lets ban everyone exept Captain Falcon or Snake. So everybody can win. yay. -_-

I should know this because Luigi was my 2nd best character once I got brawl, but I lost all my skill with him :(

M@v

Subarashii!
his recovery is still poor compare to most characters.
Thats why hes one of the few characters that can hyrule temple jump :dizzy:

Luigi's weaknesses: Good recovery, but its very predictable. Hes light. His projectile isnt the best. But the main problem is his proness to edgeguarding.

Broken characters in brawl: Snake to an extent(ftilt and utilt, super armor frame recovery, too heavy). Hes not completely broken. if he was, hed be unbeatable.
Another broken charcter is Falco, if you play him broken. What I mean by that is if you use all of falco's cheap tricks.Ex. Chaingrab, running attack to Usmash glitch(this glitch lets u laglessely go from falcos running attack to usmash instantly), infinite blaster if you trip some1

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Luigi's weaknesses: Good recovery, but its very predictable. Hes light. His projectile isnt the best. But the main problem is his proness to edgeguarding.
Yes I admit recovery is a bit predictable (that's why one has to work on making it unpredictable). He is light yes but he does not die easily, actually far from that I can survive with my Luigi 150%+ most of the time. Yea his projectile isn't the best that's why you need to work on developing setups with it. His does have a problem with edge guarders but a smart Luigi player knows Luigi has an awesome recovery therefore once he sees and edge guarder come his way hit, dodge him etc. and then proceed to recover after that.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
A good Luigi does not get edgeguarded, ever. Of course his projectile isn't the best, but that's one minor flaw. Metaknight has NO projectiles, and he's widely considered the best in the game.

Talos' Symphony

Smash Rookie
I would say luigi is pretty broken to be honest XD

he has an insane amount of priority considering no sword/psi/small plant people

Eten

Smash Ace
Quoted from a youtube comment:
"That rob plays with items ON"
hahaha.

Seriously though luigi kicks ***. He has great core abilities that leave him without any weaknesses besides the fact he doesn't have a sword for his aerials like Marth, and then it's hard to argue that he's weaker becuase of it instead it is so much as he's different because of his other advantages over any character like that.

Then Luigi has what is something like the "x factor"... I can go play a lot of other character really well- but for some reason, I just don't win to the same degree that I do with Luigi. Why? I think it's a combination of naturally high damage damage building attacks w/ every aerial doing something like 12% to 14% damage apiece, amazing KO power, Luigi's middle weight, strong recovery, and his innate ability to easily escape from comboes and moves. So while say another character gets comboed for 30%, luigi gets "comboed" for 15%, where another character lives to 100%, Luigi lives to 130%... while another character KOs at 100%, Luigi KOs at 80%(average between up-B KO and fsmash anyway)... His fast attacks and constant priority means he makes just that one more hit get in where otherwise you would have gotten hit.

Those little factors really add up. So while I can't point to any particular reason why Luigi should be better than Fox while I play both a really good Luigi AND Fox, when it comes down to it every single time I perform better as Luigi.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Eten I wish you'd been here to watch him read your post. The first thing he said when he saw it was, "Okay, Eten kicks ***, he'll know what's up. You're wrong."

*two minutes later*

"HAHA! HE'S PROVING ME RIGHT!"

RARE King

Smash Cadet
Is every character going to be accused of being broken just because they're good?

mangoose

Smash Rookie
OP: STFU u whining johning narcissistic overf*ckinggrown sh-tforbrains birdfaced ****

Don't just try and escape blame by pointing at MK and saying, "SEE?! HES BROKEN TOO!" That's not the issue. He's more i fap with tweezers because my weiners too small infamous because he's more popular. Luigi is still just as overpowered. If you get spiked during your down+b recovery, then you just used it to close to the stage and are a bad luigi.

If Luigi isn't that great, explain why he's ranked number one in the Washington Power Ranking.
Ok... so... you're implicitly agreeing that MK qualifies as "broken" too since he is "just as overpowered". Your argument, basically then, is that Luigi is ALSO broken which assumes that multiple characters can be broken... hrm. Well, I'd say this seems to resonate with the unmistakable vibes of being a scrub, noob, or overall sh-t player. Here's a sample:

OMFG snake has tilts. BROKEN

OMFG mk won again. BROKEN

SH*T that luigi just ripped my anus. BROKEN

... etc. (see: ROB, D3, wario, pit and others).​

This logic, then, is infinitely regressive - once you face a character with whom you have (seemingly) insurmountable problems in countering their strengths, then you whip out the "broken" stamp. Hey here's a question for all the people who throw this word around:

How can so many characters, or even just more than one character, simultaneously be "broken"?

You see, games tend to work like so: Every character, or at least most of them, have a set of strengths. There are, however, many varied ways of applying those strengths, as we see in tourneys. At the VERY LEAST, a character would simply very powerful - but nothing remotely insurmountable or "broken". Alternative names that fall short of "broken" would be "bad*ss", "hella legit", and "f*cking awesome" (all terms that I use to describe luigi, snake, mk, d3 and many others). Ultimately it still comes down to the PLAYER to win, because it's their job to make the best of their character's strengths - and NOT john throughout four f*cking pages about how it's the game's fault when you lose. Luigi is good. Other characters are good too. So be a good player.

Here's some simple game logic many people go by that generally pans out in competitive activities:

Broken vs Broken = FIXED. (yeah its f*cking magical)

After that, it's down to skills. For a character to truly be "broken", then brawl would have to have become so reductive that there is no way around beating Luigi with a different character, no winnable choice but to go as a ditto luigi, no other reasonable expectation of a fair match.

Don't throw around the word "broken" just because you can't intelligently apply your own character's AT's to counter. STOP using that kind of mindset. It's stupid, annoying, and pointless. It makes the holy f*cking Jesus angry, and if he were in brawl then he'd really be broken.

::edit::

lol sorry again for getting a tad worked up. everything i said is still true though.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Wow...Is all I can think

Sorry but just looking at the title of this thread gave me permission to ignore your ill informed post.
If you knew the definition of broken, than you would understand that no one in brawl is truly broken !

Sure it's easy to get beaten by a higher skilled player than you, then out of anger/jealousy call that character broken, But is it nessecary?

Luigi is FAR from broken.

You say all of this mindless accusations and then give us evidence in the form of an amazing Luigi 0 to deathing a horrible R.O.B. Just because you aren't as good as a player does not give you the right to call it broken.

And I take it as an INSULT that you would show your face around on the Luigi boards. And actually accuse Luigi to be broken?!?

What purpose are you trying to serve? Are you trying to make all the Luigi mains think that the only reason they are good is because they play a broken character? That is completely outrageous !

I personally use Luigi as one of my secondary characters, and can tell you that he has some of the hardest matchups. Any person with Any skill can take advantage of Luigi's so called "godly" recovery and exploit that advantage. Luigi has great combos, but if your smart you can avoid letting him get the combo started in the first place. His primary source of attacks are aerials, which can be shield grabbed.
You call Luigi's unique sliding ability as good as a wavedash, if you actually think that then you never played melee competivelly, because you must not know what a wavedash is...
Not to mention Luigi is bad range on most of his moves, except for his bair really.
And you make it sound like it's a cakewalk trying to use his super jump punch.
Because if you honestly get super jump punched while facing a luigi whenever you miss a grab or make a mistake, than you must be a despicable player.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
Luigi is dope, not broken. Master your character you dumb ****. You deserved to be Falcon Punched...Pce

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
OMFG this thread is so full of win idk what to do with it. First of all, the OP had me dieing laughing. If Luigi is broken, then I'm Bill Clinton. Then LeprechaunLuigi comes in here and outsmarts the OP while totally wasted. Next the OP tries to prove his ill-concieved point with a terrible video. But really people your missing the star of this thread... Its all in the OP.

I seriously, literally, fell out of my chair laughing, I lol'ed so hard I woke my dog up. Luigi sliding is as good as a wavedash??? Thats comical genious. I mean yea, its cool how he slides across the stage, It kinda reminds me of a wavedash, but it doesnt have any of the functionality of one. But, I'm starting to ramble so I'll wrap this up...

Johning about every character you lose to? FIREPUNCH!!!

P.S: I play with Kirby, Meta Knight, Falco, King Dedede, and Toon Link. 3 of those characters are probably considered broken by a lot of people. But you really wanna know who is really broken??? Yoshi. Freaking dinosaur keeps chucking eggs at me that hurt!!

Because this character has unique characteristics it is therefore broken, so lets ban it, along with every character that isnt Capt. Falcon. @OP: Thats what you sound like. Man up, get some practice, and think of some counter-stratagies. Or gtfo.

mangoose

Smash Rookie
Lol noob. You should be banned for getting past the censors
If that's a rule, then I'll change them and you can use your imagination to figure out what the stars mean.

I also take it as a personal achievement that (as somebody who had previously responded extensively to posts) you could only manage to call me a noob and then change the subject.

Either way, I'd like to say that all of the arguments I put out are still true and that you are a dumb*ss.

Catonis

Smash Rookie
Look I'm sorry but... Luigi is a very good character but he's not cheap or stupid or broken. He's fun and he's a luck-based character. Don't like him? That's your problem so don't make it everyone else's problem. Luigi is my favorite and if they even if Sakurai wanted to he couldn't ban Luigi. He's one of the originals and without him there would be an uproar. Take him out then you'd have to take out all the original game veterans. End of discussion.

D. M.

Smash Rookie
As an Ice Climber main.... I concur... >______> He's totally broken. Ban him
and snake
and metaknight
and rob
and Pit
and....
Whoa whoa whoa, those are five of my six favorites you want to ban. Not everyone uses them cheaply or treats them like they are broken.

Luigi's far from broken. Two of his specials are only powerful if done right or random, and if you overuse them then you're just showing that's all you know how to use. His powerful moves are smashes but from my experience (dunno about others here so don't get me wrong) Luigi isn't the best with defense, not like Mario or Peach.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
You need to see swastikapyle when I beat his Zamus, Zelda, and Lucas with Luigi every single time ;) I think he plays characters that can contend plenty well, yet apparently every character he plays is a bad matchup, or on a stage that favors Luigi... etc. Its just frustration at being the worse player that makes him think Luigi is broken, my roommate is now convinced of the same thing because I 2 stock his Lucario every single time. Last time he threw the wavebird across the room he was so mad. I guess I should be flattered ^_^

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Flattered, or scared?

Chances are people will have a bounty on you after so many of these wins =p

EvolveOrDie

Smash Cadet
I think Luigi isn't broken enough, I should be able to fire punch parallel to the stage with automatic sweet spot regardless of the distance.
>_>
<_<
What to broken?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
You need to see swastikapyle when I beat his Zamus, Zelda, and Lucas with Luigi every single time ;) I think he plays characters that can contend plenty well, yet apparently every character he plays is a bad matchup, or on a stage that favors Luigi... etc. Its just frustration at being the worse player that makes him think Luigi is broken, my roommate is now convinced of the same thing because I 2 stock his Lucario every single time. Last time he threw the wavebird across the room he was so mad. I guess I should be flattered ^_^
You pusssy, everyone in the apartment knows you're lucky, the only person who doesn't believe it is you (And that's because you'd HATE the idea of winning because of something besides skill). And I beat you with Zelda, Zamus, Lucas all the time, and you always john, "I'm tired." I two-stocked you with my Zamus just the other night.

Flattered, or scared?

Chances are people will have a bounty on you after so many of these wins =p
Don't believe him, I kick his *** constantly.

Zelda is the only one out of those three that has an almost even matchup with Luigi. You lose every time you pick a character that doesn't have an instant kill up+b at 48%.

Talos' Symphony

Smash Rookie
You pusssy, everyone in the apartment knows you're lucky, the only person who doesn't believe it is you (And that's because you'd HATE the idea of winning because of something besides skill). And I beat you with Zelda, Zamus, Lucas all the time, and you always john, "I'm tired." I two-stocked you with my Zamus just the other night.

Don't believe him, I kick his *** constantly.

Zelda is the only one out of those three that has an almost even matchup with Luigi. You lose every time you pick a character that doesn't have an instant kill up+b at 48%.
this sounds like a hilarious place to live

YOU LIVE IN THE SAME APARTMENT AND ARGUE OVER THE INTERWEBS?!

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
We don't actually live together but I just spend a lot of time over there. We argue about this in real life too, he just doesn't want to believe it because he's scared of the truth.

mangoose

Smash Rookie
lolol omfg what a bunch of scrubs i didnt think it was really this lame

your friend is a luigi main

your friend constantly beats you

hence, it must be luigi! face it pal, he's better than you.

ALSO, how is luigi "broken" if you claim to beat him so much? so many contradictions. obviously luigi can be countered if you manage to beat him with another character... ur such a sh*tforbrains...

mangoose

Smash Rookie
*sigh*

Urbandictionary.com:

Broken:

(Games) A game object or facility that is too good to exist. It is so powerful that it is unbalancing and hence breaks the game. Every winning player has to use this to be competitive.
"BROKEN" is a VERY STRONG WORD. Get this through your head.

Every character has its own strengths, and similarly nearly every character board has a thread about that character being broken - and it's logically impossible for so many characters to be broken at once, or the game would simply be balanced again. Where is your mental cut-off between a character having strengths, and a character being broken?

There is no known luigi move or combo that has "no counter" provided good strat, shielding and dodging. Maybe your ego likes to think you can beat a broken character, but unless your competition is abysmally piss-poor, then chances are that you are not such a god amongst men.

The list of top brawlers is NOT flooded with luigi's, and one would assume that if luigi was really so ridiculously unbalanced, then those top gamers, who PLAY FOR MONEY, would probably all be rushing to main him.

Luigi is not broken. You're just johning.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
not broken, just obvious advantages bro that make him fall somewhat "cheap" in my opinion. Pull out DDD, IC, Meta, ROB and Snake instead.

FYI, luigi may be good, but he's not entirely fitted for the top tier roster, so I wouldn't be complaining about how broken he might be...

mangoose

Smash Rookie
"cheap" I can live with. :)

I generally avoid that word though because it kind of emanates scrubbiness to me... but if there were any word I'd use to describe my experiences against Ike in team battle, "cheap" would be it.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ok honestly if he thinks Luigi is broken that is his opinion, cheap also his opinion I don't care. Here we are all of us defending or unproving if Luigi is or is not broken etc. Look while I don't mind posts like this, this one has gotten a bit far. While other boards are discussing how to improve their character or make new discoveries with that characters here we are at the Luigi boards trying to see if Luigi is broken or not. I don't wanna sound harsh or anything but it is the truth :(.

Top Bottom