• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi 1.1.0 Patch Notes and Changes

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Yes, he was bottom tier. I meant the mashing requirement.

Global change found by dantarion:
Everybody has had their rolls, sidesteps, airdodges(I think? but I know the first two) intangibility frames reduced by 1.
sidestep is spotdodge?

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
64 mashing was perfect. I can do JRC, but I don't know anybody else besides Boss that can do so.
theres quite a few that can. boss, concon, and poke being the top player luigis. Theres also a bunch of non top player luigis that can do it actually :)

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So after a bunch of FG matches, idk if it's just online or my opponents...but I've landed jab to up B a total of 14/15 times. Wow. Characters I've used this against included Jigglypuff, Roy, Zelda, DK, Bowser, Mario, Game and Watch, etc. My only whiff was against a Fox cause they are more difficult to land it on naturally. But wow, I rarely ever landed it. Now I used jab to up B to close games. Not one stock, but both on the same people. I've actually ended 6 games with just jab to up b now. I usually shoot for it around 70%. Been using it so much I forgot about d throw to cyclone [Also pulled off some D throw to up Bs]. My connection was no lag on my end either. Again, could be online or a good day...but this new up B hitbox and power is really, really hype.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
So after a bunch of FG matches, idk if it's just online or my opponents...but I've landed jab to up B a total of 14/15 times. Wow. Characters I've used this against included Jigglypuff, Roy, Zelda, DK, Bowser, Mario, Game and Watch, etc. My only whiff was against a Fox cause they are more difficult to land it on naturally. But wow, I rarely ever landed it. Now I used jab to up B to close games. Not one stock, but both on the same people. I've actually ended 6 games with just jab to up b now. I usually shoot for it around 70%. Been using it so much I forgot about d throw to cyclone [Also pulled off some D throw to up Bs]. My connection was no lag on my end either. Again, could be online or a good day...but this new up B hitbox and power is really, really hype.
First, neat stuff!

Second, it was just a good day for ya. The new Up B only has knockback and hitbox buffs. It doesn't come out any frames faster than before. The main problem with jab to up B was that they could shield between the jab and up b. So since jab ending lags are the same and up b startup is the same, there should be no change to the jab to up b combo

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
First, neat stuff!

Second, it was just a good day for ya. The new Up B only has knockback and hitbox buffs. It doesn't come out any frames faster than before. The main problem with jab to up B was that they could shield between the jab and up b. So since jab ending lags are the same and up b startup is the same, there should be no change to the jab to up b combo
What I believe though is that the new extended hitbox allows Luigi to land the Up B more consistently out of a jab. Before, Luigi had to be hugging/touching distance. So pushing them back with jab one, you could only catch the side of a character's model if they were big enough. Now with the new up b, you can leave a small space between you and the opponent and not be touching bodies. It's a small space, but Jab one pushes them juuuust that distance away while still keep the character's entire model in the sweetspot. From what I've noticed in the buffed up b. I think just landing it this many times can't be just coincidence.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I assume they made aerial Fire Jump Punch stronger as well, huh? Cause I really do like doing down throw to FJP.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Not sure if the aerial one is actually stronger than before, but d-throw > up-b is way way easier now with the bigger hitbox.

The nice thing is it works really well on fastfallers like fox or sheik who normally fall out of down-b.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi's Fireballs feels a lot less smoother now. I have my moments getting punished because of a single wrong Fireball, pre-patch. 3 frames is really huge when it comes on zoning.

IDK. Fireballs feels a lot more clunky now. You thought you can now move at this frame but no.

Maybe it's just me who needs more practice with the new Fireball. I was so used to the pre-patch end lag and often input dash before the Fireball end lag ceased. And F-air's lesser damage affects combos. Now I can't seem to do F-air F-air Jumped F-air out of D-throw against some characters.

IDK if we have to call Luigi buffed... I miss old Fireballs...

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
This is HUGGGEE. thanks a ton. totally gonna test it.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
I think theres a certain technique for it where its less like brutal mashing and more like vibrating your finger on the b button. I wish Boss would come and show us the way to do it, make a video or something. Can't any of you guys contact him? It would be awesome if he can pay us a visit over here and give us some tips on mashing and other stuff.
I saw 1 day in mr con con stream he showing his "mashing" tecnic. Was just "****ing mash!" lol

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Can someone make the comparison in a video or something?
I really don't see the difference in hitbox for Up-B yet. It's doesn't seem to be notably different, I'm not outright saying it is not but I do want to see the direct difference in a comparison video or something.
D-Throw> UP-b in terms of successfully hitting it feels no different, we all still need to be directly underneath otherwise we whiff so I'm not yet seeing how it got easier.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Did they change aerial FJP at all? Because if so, it doesn't seem like anybody's noticed it.
Luigi's Fireballs feels a lot less smoother now. I have my moments getting punished because of a single wrong Fireball, pre-patch. 3 frames is really huge when it comes on zoning.

IDK. Fireballs feels a lot more clunky now. You thought you can now move at this frame but no.

Maybe it's just me who needs more practice with the new Fireball. I was so used to the pre-patch end lag and often input dash before the Fireball end lag ceased. And F-air's lesser damage affects combos. Now I can't seem to do F-air F-air Jumped F-air out of D-throw against some characters.

IDK if we have to call Luigi buffed... I miss old Fireballs...
I don't really notice it. It sounds like you relied on them a bit too much.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Played around with Weegee in FG and fought against one with Falcon. I will say that FJP has a larger hitbox but I don't really rely on it as a KO move so it's more or less for those hard reads. I can't really seem to find a significant problem with his fireballs since they still apply a decent amount of pressure.

I don't know if it's just me but I had a bit of trouble doing Fair-Uair on Pikachu in one match.

TriTails

Smash Lord
So I just found out FJP now can hit behind Luigi if they are hugging him from the back.

And jab -> FJP is evil lol. Unless they are mashing jump then i dunno how they dodge this one other than shield maaaybe?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So I just found out FJP now can hit behind Luigi if they are hugging him from the back.
Giggity.
So after some testing, I can say that aerial Fire Jumo Punch was indeed buffed. Down throw to FJP now KOs at 93%. Without Rage.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Aerial Up B wasn't buffed in Knockback. It just has a bigger hitbox. It's in the data mine that Dantarion extracted.

Also, the new fireball feels the same to me. It has 3 more frames of end lag, but we just have to adjust to the new end lag. It still has the same usage from pre patch IMO. So dont worry guys, yes its a bit more laggy, but we really just have to adjust to its new end lag. Fireball is still amazing. There's no reason to change the way you use it IMO unless you fireballed the entire match before.

and Jab to Up B connects easier now, thanks to those who posted about it above. It's a great find! Unfotunately, players can still shield the up b :c

Cypher94

Smash Rookie
I don't know if any of you feel the same way but since this patch I feel like I'm not connect Dthrow to cyclone as much as I did before, we'll actually I'm missing it a lot more can anyone confirm if anything has been changed to it

Pyr

Smash Lord
I don't know if any of you feel the same way but since this patch I feel like I'm not connect Dthrow to cyclone as much as I did before, we'll actually I'm missing it a lot more can anyone confirm if anything has been changed to it
0 changes to Cyclone and D-Throw, in both the dump and via personal experience.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Aerial Up B wasn't buffed in Knockback. It just has a bigger hitbox. It's in the data mine that Dantarion extracted.

Also, the new fireball feels the same to me. It has 3 more frames of end lag, but we just have to adjust to the new end lag. It still has the same usage from pre patch IMO. So dont worry guys, yes its a bit more laggy, but we really just have to adjust to its new end lag. Fireball is still amazing. There's no reason to change the way you use it IMO unless you fireballed the entire match before.

and Jab to Up B connects easier now, thanks to those who posted about it above. It's a great find! Unfotunately, players can still shield the up b :c
I don't know who this Dantarion dude is, but so far, his so-called "mine" hasn't been that reliable.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
IMO, the fireball nerf really screws over Luigi. While his massive, high damaging combo game has been maintained, he needs to find a way to get in close to the opponent for a grab or jab follow up to pull off these combos. Prepatch, things were much easier since fireballs can convert so easily into grabs. Now that this has been taken away, I feel that Luigi's game will be more defensive overall to focus more on stopping approaches with jab to convert into grab. He can't use his shield the same way as other characters, since the blocked attacks push him away and prevent reliable punishes, so he'll need to rely on fox trots and rolls to bait out attacks, and punish with grabs. I think it'll be a rough future for Luigi mains. Anyone else feel the same way?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
IMO, the fireball nerf really screws over Luigi. While his massive, high damaging combo game has been maintained, he needs to find a way to get in close to the opponent for a grab or jab follow up to pull off these combos. Prepatch, things were much easier since fireballs can convert so easily into grabs. Now that this has been taken away, I feel that Luigi's game will be more defensive overall to focus more on stopping approaches with jab to convert into grab. He can't use his shield the same way as other characters, since the blocked attacks push him away and prevent reliable punishes, so he'll need to rely on fox trots and rolls to bait out attacks, and punish with grabs. I think it'll be a rough future for Luigi mains. Anyone else feel the same way?
Not really. The ending really isn't that noticeable. People are blowing it way out of proportion. Fireballs are still very good tools.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
The endlag is noticeable in my opinion. Pre patch you could be spamming them fireballs without any fear at all but now if you throw one at the wrong time especially against a speedy character you can get punished for it. But the added frames are indeed very few so the worst that could happen is a dash attack or a dash grab if the opponent is Falcon or something maybe. But Luigi still has one amazing fast jab so sometimes if I feel fear someone will punish me I just mash jabs and it usually gets me out of most of everything. #n00btactics

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Don't know guys, I think Luigi was nerfed in this patch xP. I'm the only one that thinks this way? They nerfed 2 importants attack fair and neutral B, and buffed 2 not very important attacks dilt and up B.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Don't know guys, I think Luigi was nerfed in this patch xP. I'm the only one that thinks this way? They nerfed 2 importants attack fair and neutral B, and buffed 2 not very important attacks dilt and up B.
Forward air was actually buffed in some ways, and FJP is a fairly important move.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I think people who says Luigi is nerfed hard because of Fireball change thinks the character name is 'Balls of Flame' and completely forgot about the other aspects of the character.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
I think it just balanced out. While grounded FJP is not fairly important, the aerial version is miles easier to land out of down throw. Dtilt is a move that we don't really use anyway, fireball nerfed by 3 frames, and fair has different usage.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Forward air was actually buffed in some ways, and FJP is a fairly important move.
Fair buff or nerf depends of the situation, in most cases, was nerfed. About the neutral B, yes, I used to use alot this move for the neutral =/. Stop alot of attacks and projects. But now need use just sometimes. The Dilt buff was... no difference, just for some edge tricks, but the Up B hitbox was a good buff. Down Throw to Up B in fast fallers is more solid now.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fair buff or nerf depends of the situation, in most cases, was nerfed. About the neutral B, yes, I used to use alot this move for the neutral =/. Stop alot of attacks and projects. But now need use just sometimes. The Dilt buff was... no difference, just for some edge tricks, but the Up B hitbox was a good buff. Down Throw to Up B in fast fallers is more solid now.
Not so, because of the lower damage, it's easier to chain together. If anything, it's encouraging you to be more diverse with your combos. The Fireball nerf was really only substantial if you relied on them too much. But we also gained another kill throw, which frankly, I love.

Luig

Confused
The up throw buff is actually really nice. I've killed people around 150% with rage now, and it's the best feeling killing somebody with an up throw and them being like,"What the heck that kills?"

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The up throw buff is actually really nice. I've killed people around 150% with rage now, and it's the best feeling killing somebody with an up throw and them being like,"What the heck that kills?"
Yaaas. I didn't think it'd be all that important at first, but it's helpful as **** to be able to KO somebody who's too damaged to combo without fishing for an up smash.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
How much rage did you have when you killed with u throw?

sims796

Smash Cadet
I agree, I can definitely feel the Fireball nerf. If I didn't know about it ahead of time, I'd have thought that it was lag killing me off. I'd use it to automatically reset to neutral at point blank range, now it leaves me wide open as I hit them.

Still, it's no big deal, it's still a cool spacing tool, good for racking up cheap damage, and still useful for setting up combos at mid range.

TriTails

Smash Lord
So uh... I need to ask you guys something before I make a bold statement to the guys who think Fireballs nerf will drop Luigi in the tier list/nerfed Luigi hard.

Has the Fireballs nerf affected your play significantly? Or evn, are you like me, who barely noticed it? Do you think Fireballs nerf was 'huge' and will make a hole on Luigi's tier position?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Nope. I've been abusing the new buffed up B to compensate.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
The fireball nerf only hurts novice Luigi players who rely on it too much. Skilled Luigi players will usually only use it once or twice to zone/approach, but your core gameplay is still there. You should always be mixing up your gameplay anyway so you don't become too predictable. If anything, it'll just incentivize Luigi players to practice more to make up for the nerf. I told my brother that fireballs were nerfed, and he said he couldn't even tell until I told him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom