• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi 1.1.0 Patch Notes and Changes

Luig

Confused
When I was testing on Mario at the center of FD with no di, I got 67% pre patch, but I might have been doing something wrong. Either way, it kills at 60 now.

Yes, the jab locking was the main reason we confirmed that. Now dtilt under 70% can lock though.

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Anything that isn't confirmed on the data mine from Dantarion I think can be assumed to be placebo right now.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Going to start updating the OP with the confirmed changes we have. Feel free to continue finding more changes.

I can't promise I will be active this evening since I will be at a party. Good luck fellow Weegees! :4luigi:

Luig

Confused
So we got one nerf, a few buffs, a pointless up special 2 buff, and we still need to test IASA.

Sakurai trolled us all by making us think we'd get nerfed.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
When I tested, down b wasn't able to suck people in as much and was easier to get out of. Can anyone confirm or deconfirm?
I believe that the Cyclone was made easier to DI out of in 1.0.8. The suction effect is unchanged, though.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
To be more specific, dtilit sends at a much lower angle, making it trip more often, better for edgeguarding, has more IASA, and has more kbg.
Fireball ends on frame 44 from 41 pre patch.
FJP has either more bkb or kbg. I'm not sure which one though.
Fair doesn't necessarily have less hitstun, it just has less kb making it have less hitstun than it used to a low% and easier to combo with a high%.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And don't forget up throw. As insignificant as it may be. I wonder what made them change that? I'd rather have back the ability to wall jump.

Luig

Confused
Yeah, and up throw kills earlier, now it's actually good for high platforms.
The wall jump in the E3 demo though.....

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Anyone else playing around with fiery jump punch? D throw to fair to punch is pretty legitimate on Mario for 0 - 29% and normal 0 to 34%.. This is just training though. Overall I really do dislike this patch because the endlag on fireball is really bothering me now. And D tilt is still impossible to land with no range despite being faster. The only saving grace is if fire jump punch's buffs can make up for fireball nerf at all.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Anyone else playing around with fiery jump punch? D throw to fair to punch is pretty legitimate on Mario for 0 - 29% and normal 0 to 34%.. This is just training though. Overall I really do dislike this patch because the endlag on fireball is really bothering me now. And D tilt is still impossible to land with no range despite being faster. The only saving grace is if fire jump punch's buffs can make up for fireball nerf at all.
It is kinda fair.. It was too good of a tool considering that a lot of times hitting with it meant getting a free grab for us, which is kinda ehh considering our down throw is the best thing since.. Idk, probably it is the best thing ever.
We have to be wary about throwing mindless fireballs now since we can legit get punished for them, something that never seemed to happen pre patch unless they were abused in all the wrong ways.

BTW, im throwing this here and I know its the wrong thread but this is the busiest thread and I'm in a real hurry since I'm already in the mall with mom and have no time. Is the GC controller better than the pro one? I have the pro and my combos out of the d throw were decent at best but I could never get the regrabbing down all that much. Is the GC controller any better? I know there might not be a set answer and it vary for each person but I don't care. Do you think the GC controller is better than the Pro one? Will it help me with Luigi combos and chain grabs? Mom will finish shopping and ask me to drive her home soon so help fast please. :cc

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
After more fiddling around with Luigi, D tilt is still insignificant, but Up B...it's hitting some crazy times when I least expect it to.. Up B is legit now.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fiery Jump Punch I find to be overall completely ****ing useless. I mean, it's weaker, it's slower, and it goes nowhere. It's not like you use Fire Jump Punch enough to where you need a hitbox that big. And now that they buffed Fire Jump Punch's hitbox, they're literally no reason to use Fiery over Fire.

Luig

Confused
They made a custom move pointless through buffing. Great job.

I've been fooling around with dtilt and the 361 degree angle is amazing at edgeuarding, moreso than I thought.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
They made a custom move pointless through buffing. Great job.

I've been fooling around with dtilt and the 361 degree angle is amazing at edgeuarding, moreso than I thought.
I mean, it's not like it was very useful before. Unless you really, REALLY loved pressing B.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I've had a chance to really mull over and test Luigi's changes. Here's my analysis:

D-Tilt: The tripping is good (but at a 0.35 rating still), and the edgeguard from the ledge is good, but we lose it as a 50/50 from jab. Well, we still have it, but it doesn't lead into much anymore. People are sent too far away to follow up. Who was using it for edgeguards, anyway? We have several tools better at that then D-Tilt will ever be.

Fireball: The big one. Jab-locking missed techs wasn't a huge deal, since we have a few moves that extend it and we can Up-B after the first, anyway. The 3 frames increase the deadzone where we can't get grab off of a fireball by half a Luigi. Considering that we're either in their face or just close enough to get to the sweetspot zone for fireball, we now need get in slightly more overall to get a grab off of it. It does hurt our approach a bit.

Fair: It combos... The same, save for like 10 matchups at specific ranges. It does let us get an extra up-air at a specific range in all matchups, so that's nice. It REALLY hurts air footsies, though. Now, we either have to Bair to get a decent reward (and stale it, so D-Throw > Bair is less potent), or we go with Fair and lose 1/9 of the damage each session. It MAY lead to a forced grab due to universal landing lag that characters have (2-3 frames of animation), but that will take a lot more testing.

U-Throw: D-Throw > Nair kills well before this kills even still, so I don't see the point to the buff.

Up-B: Ya... It kills 10% earlier, but how often are you getting it? How often do people let you hard-punish with it? It's a definite plus, but one that won't play into our game every game or set.

Overall, he loses a grab option, has a nerfed approach option, worse footsies in the air, a better, but irrelevant, up throw, and a better up-B.

Overall, I think he has the same power level as before. It's just distributed differently.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
U-Throw: D-Throw > Nair kills well before this kills even still, so I don't see the point to the buff.

Up-B: Ya... It kills 10% earlier, but how often are you getting it? How often do people let you hard-punish with it? It's a definite plus, but one that won't play into our game every game or set.
U-throw: Well, if you grab the opponent when theyre at like, 120 at top platform its the best kill option I guess, and whatever they give I think we should gladly take, so I wouldnt call it useless.

Up-B: if your opponent has a big hurtbox and/or you trained enough and have good reflections the up-B will be a much better tool than you say. with enough training you can combo it from D-throw reliably too.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Unfortunately, not everyone is Boss and has fingers granted to them by God himself. I don't get why they nerfed it from Brawl, it was perfect there.
I think theres a certain technique for it where its less like brutal mashing and more like vibrating your finger on the b button. I wish Boss would come and show us the way to do it, make a video or something. Can't any of you guys contact him? It would be awesome if he can pay us a visit over here and give us some tips on mashing and other stuff.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Wait what changed about his up throw? And is there evidence of this?

Also, his up b kills 6 to 7 % earlier, not 10
Do we have proof of fair dealing less hitstun?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I wouldn't know. It's probably been like half a decade since I've played 64. I remember Luigi being at his worst there, though.

Luig

Confused
Yes, he was bottom tier. I meant the mashing requirement.

Global change found by dantarion:
Everybody has had their rolls, sidesteps, airdodges(I think? but I know the first two) intangibility frames reduced by 1.

Luig

Confused
It doesn't directly do less hitstun: it simply does less knockback at a percent where there would have been more knockback and therefore, more hitstun.

Top Bottom