• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Given the picture of the day, I think she could be a starter with Marth an easily-unlocked character, under the premise that she seems to be simpler to use than Marth (in terms of skill floor, not necessarily ceiling). Learning a moveset without any fancy things in it like tippers are easier for new players, and when Marth is hypothetically unlocked, those who don't follow smash will naturally wonder 'what is the difference?' They then learn that Marth's sword has some unique functionality, and the unlock makes sense. Just my two cents.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think she will be an unlockable character. I wish Robin was as well, but I think she will be a starter with Marth and Ike.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If the directorial intent beind Lucina's kit is to be a simpler, beginner's version of Marth's, I wouldn't be surprised to see her as a starter and have Marth be unlockable.
That said, I expect the opposite to happen - Marth to be a starter and for Lucina to be unlockable. Not really any conclusive reasoning to this; just a hunch. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Have you considered the fact that most of the really requested characters are antagonists? What if there's a villains only trailer introducing Ridley, King K Rool, and maybe Ganondorf and Ghirahim?
Seenms far-fetched, sure, but so did getting Robin, Lucina and Captain Falcon, especially considering we were highly expecting Shulk.
Thanks for not including Mewtwo with the villains. No, I am not against the 'mon being in Smash again, it just people calling it a villain when it is hardly one that bothers me a bit. :p Anyway, a villains trailer with Ridley and Ghirahim, plus Ganondorf as the veteran would be glorious. I don't believe K. Rool will be in the game, but hopefully I am wrong.
Tell me how Ridley has a chance when he's been confirmed as a boss.
My brain hurts.

Sorry for the off-topic post, lets go back to Luceena

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
and so, there will be a Lucina Amiibo! Just realized that, and all that speculation after the Amiibo trailer was correct.

Also, tried to look for some Lucina gifs on Tumblr. Big mistake.
Looking for any character, especially female, on Tumblr without content filter is always... a bit distrubing even beyond the usually rule 34 materials.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I don't actually expect him to be playable, but Sakurai hasn't revealed Ridley officially for a reason and to dismiss the possibility entirely is a little premature. Sakurai knows very well how much hype it would create if Ridley were playable.

I guess Lucina being in means that people have made the guess that Ridley will be a Charizard clone in a similar fashion to Lucina/Marth? :p

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Not sure what is plan on Sakurai if every character revealed so far will be starter or not. Acording to what I've heard, next month's Coro Coro magazine will show the starter roster.
For now, I think Lucina should be unlockable. No point in having two "Marths" at the beginning. Its a bit funny that Marth now gets to be a starter thanks to the existence of Lucina though.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hi guys and girls I congratulate you yesterday when the hype was at its max, so probably my post got buried among tons of other, so I am hera again today to congratulate you, I am ashamed to say that Lucina's inclusion was like a pipe dream to me so I never bothered coming here to express my sympathy to you all, but Lucina is actually my second most wanted behind Palutena, so I am a really happy guy right now my number 1 and 2 became a reallity.

Congratulations again to all active supporters

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't believe we've had a starting roster with clone characters yet.
Lucas was a starter, although he's only a semi-clone, unlike Lucina.

Personally, I think if he's going to do clones, he ought to make them starters - people are already used to Marth, let them try Lucina first.

But if Marth's on the cover, then Lucina's probably unlockable.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
So, Sakurai says that she is indeed a clone. However, her nair is slightly different than Marth's. Do you think that this just means there will be smaller move changes?
Before anyone says anything, Marth's nair is still 2 strikes in front of him, Lucina's is 3

andimidna

Smash Master
So, Sakurai says that she is indeed a clone. However, her nair is slightly different than Marth's. Do you think that this just means there will be smaller move changes?
Before anyone says anything, Marth's nair is still 2 strikes in front of him, Lucina's is 3
This type of speculation would be easier if there was a complete smash 4 Marth accessible to us. For all we know, in the final game, Marth's nair could be changed to 3 hits.
But I do doubt that. There will 100% certainly be differences. That's why she's not an alt according to Sakurai.

I've said a few things they could do with her. But I have to ask, was her recovery show in the trailer?
Edit: thanks autocorrect.

Last edited:

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai: Alright y'all, I went a-hunting and done got us some 43 character slots straight from the prairie. Hopefully y'all can cook up something good with that.

Smash Team: Oh, Sakurai-san, that's pretty great. You couldn't have gotten a couple more though? If you had, we could've put more unique characters in in the same amount of time! That's how it works.

Sakurai: And I don't give a diddly-darn-damn, if I'm to be honest. Mattafact, I want to put in Lucina as a clone of Marth.

Smash Team: WHAT? BUT SAKURAI-SAN, THE FANS! THEY'LL BE SO UPSET!

Sakurai: Hyuck hyuck hyuck! Ain't I a stinker?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
This type of speculation would be easier if there was a complete smash 4 Marth accessible to us. For all we know, in the final game, Marth's Nairobi could be changed to 3 hits.
But I do doubt that. There will 100% certainly be differences. That's why she's not an alt according to Sakurai.

I've said a few things they could do with her. But I have to ask, was her recovery show in the trailer?
Yeah when she dodges Robin's fire attack on Bowser she follows up with her recovery attack. At least I think that's what it was.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sakurai: Alright y'all, I went a-hunting and done got us some 43 character slots straight from the prairie. Hopefully y'all can cook up something good with that.

Smash Team: Oh, Sakurai-san, that's pretty great. You couldn't have gotten a couple more though? If you had, we could've put more unique characters in in the same amount of time! That's how it works.

Sakurai: And I don't give a diddly-darn-damn, if I'm to be honest. Mattafact, I want to put in Lucina as a clone of Marth.

2.5/10
See me after class

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but (And I hate to bring up the comparison everyone's making) Roy's moves aesthetically were all like Marth's in Melee, not that I think looking back to Melee now will give us any answers, but it really is easy to make the comparison given that they're both Marth clones. I think it could go either way, really, her dair might spike at the center of blade, not spike at all, or be different move altogether.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Could you clarify the point you are making, I unfortunately do not speak cowboy.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
This type of speculation would be easier if there was a complete smash 4 Marth accessible to us. For all we know, in the final game, Marth's nair could be changed to 3 hits.

Edit: thanks autocorrect.
Not sure about the final version, but VGBC has uploaded movesets of all the characters shown at E3

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Was on KCMM, and boy do a bunch of them not like Lucina. I don't understand that though. Unlike Roy, her being a clone makes 100% sense! I love what Sakurai did in adding a clone character, bulking up the roster, and did it with a character that in a way should kind of be a clone. I'm still holding out hope that Roy might be changed and is just waiting to be unlocked, but I think if I had to have a Marth clone, I would probably chose Lucina because it makes perfect sense.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Lucas was a starter, although he's only a semi-clone, unlike Lucina.

Personally, I think if he's going to do clones, he ought to make them starters - people are already used to Marth, let them try Lucina first.

But if Marth's on the cover, then Lucina's probably unlockable.
Honestly, I think Lucas is easier to use that Ness initially; his up-special is much more manageable than Ness's, as it goes slower and passes through people. His PK Freeze is far easier to hit than Ness's neutral b as well. His Smashes have clearer uses than Ness's, with Ness's down and up smashes being less intuitive. Some of the aerials also follow this pattern. This means that a first time player will have a *slightly* easier time with Lucas than Ness, so Lucas makes better sense as a starter. I think if there are going to be a multitude of clones, then in most cases the more complex or tricky version of that clone ought to be an unlock acquired by playing the more standard one in some context.

andimidna

Smash Master
Could you clarify the point you are making, I unfortunately do not speak cowboy.
Sounds like
-adding a clone takes just as long as adding a unique character
-Sakurai went with the clone route because he doesn't care
-clones are bad
-Saki tai doesn't care if fans get upset

I honestly can't agree with any of these

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Marth's nair in brawl strikes in front of him three times.
And I'm pretty sure in Melee too.

Last edited:

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Same point a lot of people are making, just mocking the notion that there's a fixed number of character slots and Lucina is taking up one. Or that she took some great amount of time to make compared to other characters like Robin.

2.5/10
See me after class
Shucky darn, a 2.5? I'm upset, I thought it was funnier than that.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Sounds like
-adding a clone takes just as long as adding a unique character
-Sakurai went with the clone route because he doesn't care
-clones are bad
-Saki tai doesn't care if fans get upset

I honestly can't agree with any of these
Especially the fans part considering that, in the US I think Robin is more popular, but in Japan Lucina is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Please... I literally breathe Marth.

nair-hd.gif

From what I see in the Lucina's nair gif thing, it isn't any different? Unless you're saying that Lucina strikes proper 3 times in front of her and it isn't just a long 360ish rotation like here.

Either way, nair 100% strikes in front of Marth 3 times in Melee and Brawl.

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Please... I literally breathe Marth.

View attachment 18289

From what I see in the Lucina's nair gif thing, it isn't any different? Unless you're saying that Lucina strikes proper 3 times in front of her and it isn't just a long 360ish rotation like here.
Either way, nair 100% strikes in front of Marth 3 times in Melee and Brawl.
http://imgur.com/a/Aad2Y The slash effect makes me think there is a hitbox there, making it different from marth's.

andimidna

Smash Master
This may support the Lucina=Melee/Brawl Marth theory.
I mean, I can't be the only one that heard a large amount of complaints by Marth mains.
Marth getting changed to differentiate from Lucina is one way to look at it. But I think it's possible that while Sakurai wanted to try something new with Marth, he didn't want to isolate the large number of Marth mains. I could see Falco keeping his old recovery instead of getting Fox's needed one. And then they balance them out somewhere else in the moveset. This makes a lot of sense for Fox and Marth especially as they are so popular in tournaments. I could easily see Falco and Lucina getting the same treatment.
This is also why I'm starting to see Dark Pit as an actual possibility now. But Pit isn't as popular in tournaments, and that's where custom moves can't be used. See if custom moves where used everywhere (which would be a bad idea), there wouldn't even be a need for semi clones like Luigi and Wolf (well, if the customization was a bit more extensive than it is, but you see my point, right?)
Iheard people saying they were dumping Marth as their main and were now going to try and master [insert appealing newcomer here]. So this is kind of like Marth getting a second chance ;)
Edit: wow. Lots of posts went by already. Damn I hate writing essays on my phone.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Nah that is exactly the same as Marths.
Draw's the sword back a tad and then starts the second swing.

You could at least say sorry for ignorantly saying something about Marth's neutral air properties rather than shuffling around by changing your argument.

Going by photos:

First 3 are first hit of Nair.
Next 3 are the sword being swung backwards a bit, actually quite far back (further than what it looks like in melee/brawl, so maybe there is a change here), but there's no indication of hitbox from this. Marth does actually hit there slightly before it comes forward again anyway though.
4 is when that second strike comes to the forefront again.
5-7 is hitlag.
8 is still the second swing coming around from behind
9-11 is hitlag again
12-15 is the second strike coming back to the forefront again, just like Marth does in every game he's appeared in thus far.

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Nah that is exactly the same as Marths.
Draw's the sword back a tad and then starts the second swing.

You could at least say sorry for ignorantly saying something about Marth's neutral air properties rather than shuffling around by changing your argument.
Yo dude, I'm just being hopeful for a difference between the two. I think she strikes 3 times(3rd being a hitbox) since the slash effect is still there.
Play nice man, we all just want to speculate together.

andimidna

Smash Master
Maybe there's more ending lag on Marth's? I've seen this get compared to Melee Marth and Brawl Marth but what I'm personally interested in is Smash 4 Marth vs Lucina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom