• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If they want Lucina to have the same range as Marth, they have to make her sword longer to compensate for her shorter arms.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I don't think so, since it's technically the same sword. It could also be the way how Lucina and Marth are holding their swords: they look different in angles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think so, since it's technically the same sword. It could also be the way how Lucina and Marth are holding their swords: they look different in angles.
Remember the sword was reforged. It didn't have that weird circle hilt in Marth's time.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I expect that her special moves will be where Lucina gets the seperation from Marth. She looks to be much more Air-based, so I tried to remember this in speculation. In terms of how it works with the game, Lucina can end up with a lot of attacking skills due to the parent/child mechanic. I'm not the most creative guy, though...I just expect some homage to the game, what with Robin getting the Duel Strike thing as his final smash.

Galeforce - An air dash that goes at a diagonal, and a gale projectile moves forward.

Astra - Similiar to Sword Rain from most fighters, Lucina lets off a lightning-fast flurry of sword strokes.

Aether - An up-down attack that knocks the opponents into the air, she then jumps after them and bashes them back down.

Lethality - A very focused move that's all about the tipping, but when tipped correctly, has a major meteor spike. It'll have killer ending lag, though, so it's a case of "land the kill or suffer".

Luna - Look at Project M's Quickdraw. That's practically what Luna is. Lucina could do something like that.

Aegis - Lots of characters have shields like this (look at Palutena's reflect) but I imagine it would be a damaging shield of some sort. Anyone who attacks Lucina whilst using Aegis gets recoil and damage or something like that.

Sol - A pierce attack where Lucina regains the damage done. Her animation from the game works fine for this movement. Will only be around 10~%

I like the sounds of all of these. Though from what we've learned about Lucina not having a tipper, I feel like Lethality would be a Marth custom move.

Sol would be beyond awesome.

And I feel like Astra could be a good dancing blades replacement.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Considering Lucina has to be closer to her opponents to do some damage (if you think Lucina has to hit her opponents with the full of her blade to hit someone), then her sword should be longer than Marth's sword.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Considering Lucina has to be closer to her opponents to do some damage (if you think Lucina has to hit her opponents with the full of her blade to hit someone), then her sword should be longer than Marth's sword.
Didn't Sakurai say there is no tipper but her swing does the same damage on any part of the sword?

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Looks like I owe Sakurai and company an apology for saying there was no brand. Good on ya, Sakurai.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Didn't Sakurai say there is no tipper but her swing does the same damage on any part of the sword?
Did he? I am honestly not sure, but that sounds truthful. Hopefully that is the case, meaning that Lucina is a guaranteed hitter, instead of Marth's "Go for the Tip" Blade attacks.

P.S. I am just explaining what I think of it not that I hate Marth's mechanics.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Did he? I am honestly not sure, but that sounds truthful. Hopefully that is the case, meaning that Lucina is a guaranteed hitter, instead of Marth's "Go for the Tip" Blade attacks.

P.S. I am just explaining what I think of it not that I hate Marth's mechanics.
Ah. I'm going to assume Lucy doesn't have much kill mobility but has better chances knocking someone back.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Up air is a different animation.

Pretty sure Lucina has something different he's not showing us.
Sakurai just told us what's different about Lucina... she's one pixel shorter than Marth and her sword hits all over the blade instead of the tip.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
I hate Sakurai for this.

If she's a clone (oh wow, she's a bit faster with a more balanced sword, yipee), she might as well be an alternative costume. God damn it Sakurai.

Give us something else, instead!

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's difficult to know how to interpret "her physical abilities are identical". He could be referring to the animations, the general execution of each move, the physics, knockback and damage or all of the above. Too difficult to say as of yet.

If it's a choice between no Lucina or clone Lucina, give me clone Lucina anyday!
Basically this.

It doesn't even bother me that Lucina might be a Marth clone. Like, who cares? It's Lucina! She's in the game, and looks good!

Marth's moves are fitting on her, for more than one reason. I'm sure they've been rehashed endlessly in this thread and others, already. Sure, wouldn't it be cooler to get a totally unique set of attacks? But at the end of the day, this is just as good, to me.

Lucina isn't going to be an alternate costume of Marth. Sakurai confirmed she has her own character select slot, JUST LIKE ROY. Now I don't even like Roy (because he's Roy, I actually like to play him in Melee), but try telling all the Roy fans out there that Roy shouldn't have existed in Smash!

But if you guys want to play what-ifs, it doesn't even make sense for Lucina to be a costume, since A) Lucina and Marth have different genders, B) They have different faces and hair, C) They have different NAMES, D) they are not the same person.

All the costumes and alts we've seen thus far are either just different clothes that said character wears (Samus, Mario, Little Mac, etc.), or are male/female versions of the same character. Marth and Lucina have different names and are different people.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Reasons:

1: She's Marth's descendant
2: She uses the same sword as Marth
3: She even poses herself as Marth in the story
4: She uses the same attack animations in Awakening as Marth
1 and 2 can be applied to Chrom as well. But he never pretended to be Marth or anyone else. Therefore the real reasons are 3 and 4 only.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Proven by Pic of the Day, but I think this will make her purely worse than Marth overall. The tipper has always been the core of what makes Marth so strong.

The only way I could see her maybe being equally good is if her Dair is always a spike. That could make her a really deadly user of the Ken combo, even if she's a bit weaker in terms of overall damage.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Minimal effort? Number crunching, physics and reactions, completely different hit-box properties and a different model now counts as 'minimal' effort? And they couldn't even go the extra mile to, at least, program different animations? Lazy would be a wrong term to use here, but it's still really terrible. Hell, Lucina doesnt even get much of a different silhoutte, and her animations are so tacked on to the point that her hand touches the huge manchest she isnt supposed to have in her 'marth gasping' animation. She is not just a clone, she is a bad one. Heres hoping they fix that by release. These are supposed to be pros. For crying out loud.

And i never thought id ever refer to marths torso as a manchest. Just to show how baffling this is.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I think that purely depends on whether or not Lucina is getting any more different properties to balance her moves. I don't think Sakurai bothers to get too technical on Miiverse about how each attack might work a bit differently.

I hope Lucina can be to Marth what Falco was to Fox in Melee (Falco, the clone, inheriting more of Fox's original N64 traits that were lost during his transition to Melee).

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I find this tiny distinction very interesting - maybe she'll be worse than Marth if a player's ability to execute tipper hits is perfect, but this also means that she doesn't have to worry about spacing so much. The biggest advantage she seems to have is that her performance may well be that much more consistent given that it doesn't matter what part of the blade you hit with. (The height difference is probably negligible in real terms.)

I say this without knowing the frame (dis)advantages on block of Marth's moves this go around, but I think this may very well allow her to be a touch more aggressive in her attacking, if only a bit, as she doesn't have to worry as much about precision.

Either way, great catch! (I'm also glad Sakurai went and explained the difference ASAP.)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Sakurai confirmed she's a clone of Marth. She's like the male Wii Fit Trainer, but gets her own character slot because she has a different name.

Emitan

Smash Rookie
I hate Sakurai for this.

If she's a clone (oh wow, she's a bit faster with a more balanced sword, yipee), she might as well be an alternative costume. God damn it Sakurai.

Give us something else, instead!
Making a clone is way easier than an original character. We wouldn't get "something else", we'd just have one less character.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Making a clone is way easier than an original character. We wouldn't get "something else", we'd just have one less character.
Ehm, so making a model and stuff doesn't take time? They could have spent that time on something else, either going the extra mile making her unique or refining the gameplay in general. Your logic is flawed.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Not only does she have a different name, but her attacks DO have different properties - just the same animations. No tipper, different %s, likely different knockbacks. And if we are right about her nair and dolphin slash, some moves will even be more different than just that. Shorter also = different hitboxes.

Last edited:

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
I think that purely depends on whether or not Lucina is getting any more different properties to balance her moves. I don't think Sakurai bothers to get too technical on Miiverse about how each attack might work a bit differently.

I hope Lucina can be to Marth what Falco was to Fox in Melee (Falco, the clone, inheriting more of Fox's original N64 traits that were lost during his transition to Melee).
That would definitely be for the best, but I'm slightly concerned it's more likely to be what happened to Fox during his shift from Melee to Brawl as a result of Wolf's introduction. This would leave both characters in a state worse than the their predecessor in prior games.

That, or one character has a clear advantage over the other and the weaker is condemned to the other's shadow. Always a lurking problem when you have cloned characters. We'll just have to see how Sakurai handles it, though.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm actually glad about this, since I never liked the tip mechanic very much because I wasn't the greatest at it. Lucina will be a great character for people that like the style without having to worry as much about spacing. (You always have to worry about spacing, but it's less so.)

I'm genuinely excited after today's PotD. (Not that I wasn't before. Yesterday was a Smash godsend.)

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
This just makes me a bit more comfortable to be up close with Lucina, but we'll still have to space like hell.

Personally, I'm excited. I hope there are other changes to her physics.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Ehm, so making a model and stuff doesn't take time? They could have spent that time on something else, either going the extra mile making her unique or refining the gameplay in general. Your logic is flawed.
Its not like you could create a unique character in the time it took to create Lucina.
Instead of Lucina, it would probably a few extra collectible trophies, or items or something.
They are nice, but I would take a clone over those any day.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Whatever the reason is, Lucina fans should count themselves lucky she's included, even if she is a clone.

It's actually pretty cool that they chose her over other candidates to round up the roster (which is probably why they needed clones, like in Melee).

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
When he says their physical ablities are the same, I hope he means just the appearance of their moves. I kinda hope it is like Fox and Falco in Melee, where they had the same moves by appearance, but things like their speed, jump height, power, and move attributes and knockback were all different.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai confirmed she's a clone of Marth. She's like the male Wii Fit Trainer, but gets her own character slot because she has a different name.
Actually Sakurai said that her moves, while identical, have different properties and she doesn't have a tipper mechanic. That's why she has her own character slot.

EDIT: Never mind this. All of this was already stated earlier.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Marth's moveset, but with different properties and no tipper.

MAYBE a unique Final Smash but seems unlikely

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Reasons:

1: She's Marth's descendant
2: She uses the same sword as Marth
3: She even poses herself as Marth in the story
4: She uses the same attack animations in Awakening as Marth
Good reasons but the fourth one, since DLC characters aren't unique and are based upon existing characters, Marth was basically copied from Lucina's moveset. Plus that Marth isn't canon anyway, and it isn't the Marth SSB4 uses :p

Medusa as a Palutena clone would be cool.

Brittany
Mrs. Game n Watch
Daisy
Medusa
Dark Pit
Impa

Lucina was added for being female so why not add these fanservice clone ladies. For the people who say so e of those don't fight like the character they are a clone of.... Ganondorf says hi! Plus clones take small time so this would be perfect! :)
Lucina was actually added because she's the most popular character of Awakening and IS's top favorite. There's no doubt she's going to have another prime role in the next game, thus it is more beneficial to include her, even as a clone.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I agree that she was probably one of the last characters finalized into the roster - be it Sakurai's decision or IS asking for it. Clones don't take nearly as many resources to create, so they're able to get them finalized much more quickly.

However, I do think that she's going to end up being more different than we believe right now. No tipper, shorter (meaning different hitboxes and such), we already found differences in their dolphin slash and nair unless we're mistaken about how Marth works in this game - etc. etc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
1) Daisy's not anything like Peach. Bad example.
Hey... I think some fandom may be clouding your judgment. Their personalities may be a little bit different, or a lot in fact, but in the grand scheme of Nintendo they have quite a good deal that is pretty similar. Visually, factually, and potentially in terms of playstyle. Far more so than, say, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Probably even more than Falco and Fox. Yet, look at Ness and Lucas, they probably are the best example in this specific scenario. They look similar, act far differently, yet could still be clones.

Medusa as a Palutena clone would be cool.

Brittany
Mrs. Game n Watch
Daisy
Medusa
Dark Pit
Impa

Lucina was added for being female so why not add these fanservice clone ladies. For the people who say so e of those don't fight like the character they are a clone of.... Ganondorf says hi! Plus clones take small time so this would be perfect! :)
The problem I have with this list is that they are mostly arbitrary characters, or for series that should not rightfully get another rep. Fire Emblem is a huge series with a lot of characters, as well as being quite popular. Having four reps is not absurd for it (though it is all a matter of how many others get. This would be- if the big three get at least six each, which now I'm almost set on believing is happening).
Brittany does not stand out from the other pilots- at all. Daisy, Dark Pit, and Medusa, would be overkill for their series (when there are, for the first two options, far more prominent character choices to be added). Impa should just replace Shiek.

The wording of Sakurai's statement really leads me to believe alt characters will be a come to fruition, just not in the case of Lucina. That the truth of the matter is that, Lucina is so damn popular right now, that he wanted to give her a space on the roster, and not the development time. Yet other characters will have alt character costumes who do not need to be seen on the CSS, but will add diversity for fun (such as Daisy, like you mentioned).

Last edited:

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
Hoping we were shown only a few Lucina moves 'cause they're still working on her

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
When he says their physical ablities are the same, I hope he means just the appearance of their moves. I kinda hope it is like Fox and Falco in Melee, where they had the same moves by appearance, but things like their speed, jump height, power, and move attributes and knockback were all different.
in either case, she still has the same animations, and moveset as marth.
to me even a difference of properties is not enough to warrant lucina a unique character. all of those could be changed due to custom moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom