• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
I'm hype that I can play as Lucina in the new smash, but things are looking disappointing in terms of character gameplay.

I've never had a problem with "clones" in the fighting games I've played. If done decently, a clone is sufficiently more different from the character it is based on and the difference between both becomes very interesting. I think Fox/Falco in Melee are one of my favorite examples. The moves were exactly the same, but different properties in moves like Shine, Laser, Dair, or even the lenghts of their traveling moves made it feel somewhat fresh. One small change in properties and the playstyles can really change, making interest in trying a "clone" character higher.

What they are giving us is this concept of the "balanced blade". Not like Marth, not like Roy, but brand new with Lucina. The concept sounds somewhat interesting coming from someone who's been playing Marth throughout the years (casually and competitively), but I don't think it is enough to bring any excitement.

Am I giving up on the character? Of course not, I already mentioned that small changes in properties can make feel characters feel fresh, and I do like Lucina more than Marth as a character, but the fact that I am looking at a character that I've been playing for years without his Tipper mechanic which made him feel fresh throughout hours and hours of play, makes me feel a bit disappointed.

I am hoping she has a cool alt for herself :4lucina:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Lucina seems to be easier to use than Marth with a slightly longer sword, shorter hit box and consistent damage.
She's taken Roy's place as the Beginner friendly Marth.
I think her neutral air has an extra hit and she's got a different Final Smash.

Who knows maybe she'll be like Fox and Falco where I can't tell the damn difference but their differences completely change their playstyle.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
While I do prefer having unique characters, I am not one to misjudge clone characters. They have very little development time and act as a separate character with an alternative playstyle to their original counterpart. Two choices is never a bad thing.

Lucina herself fills this role nicely. It was either her or Chrom. I, frankly, do not see how Lucina could be differientatied from Marth anyway, in terms of attacks themselves; unique animations would be nice though, I mean... her idle animation is exactly the same.
Adding the fact that in Awakening, Marth uses literally the same class model as Lucina.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Lucina seems to be easier to use than Marth with a slightly longer sword, shorter hit box and consistent damage.
She's taken Roy's place as the Beginner friendly Marth.
I think her neutral air has an extra hit and she's got a different Final Smash.

Who knows maybe she'll be like Fox and Falco where I can't tell the damn difference but their differences completely change their playstyle.
God I hope the sword is not really longer. Not because it would be OP or anything, just because it would totally break canon haha

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Today my thoughts on clones completely changed, and I'm not fully re why.
I guess I do now see them as 'have them or have nothing,'
...or maybe I see the properties and not the coding visual,
...or perhaps I've become a true elite gamer.
I think this video today inspired my realization that we may not have had as big of a roster otherwise- apparent to me intrinsically, Of of course I hoped for a bigger roster, the IPs mattering most of all in a game for All stars, and now that we have four for Fire Emblem, it seems, as Chrom supporters would say, or Ellie Goulding, anything can happen.
I'm all for clones now.
Put a sword on Ridley.
Give K Rool a Landmaster.
Make Isaac inflate like a balloon.

I'm free.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
God I hope the sword is not really longer. Not because it would be OP or anything, just because it would totally break canon haha
Make canon sense given the sword was reforged and it has that fancy loop thing added to it.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
New post suggests that she is identical to Marth apart from tippers and size. This not only suggests that Marth's lag is improved, but that Lucina's overall power is reduced to make way for the larger hit boxes. However, she is basically an identical clone D:

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Would be cool of she's and alt but If she's an actual seperate character.. Oh boy I can understand why they are upset.

Just Marth in drag getting a seperate character slot. Might as well add dark pit, daisy, Brittany, mrs. Game and watch while he's at it.

I mean it would be so unfair for fire emblem to get clones while other series get left in the dust.
1) Daisy's not anything like Peach. Bad example.

2) In all honesty, how many other series does Nintendo even have left to "leave out in the dust"? Not that I'm defending Lucina as a choice. I'm just curious. Every major first-party franchise has been represented in the Smash series, usually by more than one character. By my count, the only franchises left that Nintendo holds rights to but have never been represented by a character slot in a Smash game would be Golden Sun, Starfy, Sin & Punishment and those Advance/Batallion Wars games.

Annnnnnnd... that's it. So, if Fire Emblem gets a clone and one of those franchises gets left in the dust, I'm not so certain that that's the end of the world. I try to keep in perspective that just because I personally don't play Fire Emblem games doesn't mean nobody else does.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
For the second picture, her animation isn't as different as you think. Both Ike and Marth have begun falling since they reached their jump's peak, while Lucina is still rising. Marth has that same animation when he first jumps, and it can be seen several times in Marth gameplay videos.
Here's the visual for this in case you guys were curious (my apologies for the poor quality in Lucina's picture, it's not an easy picture to take as it lasts maybe 1-2 frames)

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Here's the visual for this in case you guys were curious (my apologies for the poor quality in Lucina's picture, it's not an easy picture to take as it lasts maybe 1-2 frames)

omfg LMAOOOOOOOOO the blatant cloning :joyful:

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious if Lucina will have a meteor smash for her down air. She probably will, but I doubt it'd be anywhere near as strong as Marth's tipper meteor.

Lucina seems like a weaker, but slightly more reliable Marth if you're having issues connecting tippers. I'd find it funny watching a tournament and seeing a Marth main choke, then... "Lucina!" is all you hear on the character select screen next game.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I hope she's a bit faster and can SHDFair. If so, she'd be better than the current Marth build most likely.

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
Welp, she does have the brand of exalt. Now give her the awakening stance, sakurai, and a few unique moves.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Yeah, her wii u model looks pretty bad. i'd say even the 3ds one is better
I agree,the anime inspired look for Lucina just meshes well with the 3ds graphics.The wii u version,looks like it was going for a more realistic portrayal,which looks odd,give her the black outlines dammit. XD

Raido

Smash Apprentice
I still need to stand by her being a costume because seeing a clone at this point is unjustifiable. Call it denial, but that's because it is. I refuse to believe they'd make a clone after all these unique newcomers and all the effort in Brawl to decline everyone
What's wrong with clones? I never understood this. They almost take no time away. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrom took them more time to implement than Lucina...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reasons:

1: She's Marth's descendant
2: She uses the same sword as Marth
3: She even poses herself as Marth in the story
4: She uses the same attack animations in Awakening as Marth

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, she seems to be a "low-priority, fan-service" veteran. Like "if we have the time to include all the unique moveset we want, we could add those fan favourite characters".

We shouldn't say that some characters won't make the cut because of her. I'm sure that right at the start, they planned X unique characters, and where they couldn't have time to create the X+1, but have time to create some clones : Lucina, Dark Pit...

Just like Melee, when they decided to not add Wario, but 6 or 7 clones. Personally, I prefer the second scenario, because it means that if these clones become popular like Falco, they could have an updated moveset in the next iteration.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
You know, I have always wondered if that messes with her vision in any way...

They'll probably do some model work. Both her and Robin looked a little rough in the trailer so I'd say it's safe to say they're a work in progress.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Medusa as a Palutena clone would be cool.

Brittany
Mrs. Game n Watch
Daisy
Medusa
Dark Pit
Impa

Lucina was added for being female so why not add these fanservice clone ladies. For the people who say so e of those don't fight like the character they are a clone of.... Ganondorf says hi! Plus clones take small time so this would be perfect! :)

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Marth is brighter and has more yellow.

Or look at the tag above the character. Hope you can remember who you picked.

Hong

The Strongest
Generally, I'd say that 6 clones >>> 1 character. For sure.
Yeesh...

To each their own.

That is of course if you subtract the originals from the clones. I would have rather had an original character over Pichu, Dr. Mario, Roy and Young Link any day.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Would it have been better, in your eyes, for Lucina not to have been on the roster at all?
Because that is the alternative.
It would be better if Lucina is unique like Robin is.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Everything we see is a WIP. Nothing will be completely overhauled at this stage, but don't expect what's shown in the trailers to stay the exact same between now and release. :)

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
This won't be a problem unless you have disadvantaged eyesight in general, and even then... heck, I remember playing Melee with 4 Green Jigglypuffs, each one with very little to distinguish themselves besides a slightly darker/lighter model, and not having any problems - and this is far less confusing than that.

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Okay, let's be real guys, they either make her a near complete clone or they add her as a custom skin. Which one would you guys prefer? Making a new character takes resources and time. It was either make her a clone or not have the time to make another new character.

Also, she is also a complete clone. The latest Miiverse post says that she fights almost exactly like mMarth, except
A: She's shorter, and
B: Her attacks are strong at all parts of her blade, while Marth was strongest at the tip.

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
So basically, Lucina is going to be a manly version of Marth? :T
I really hope her custom moves are diferent from Marth's.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Who's Lucina? I can only see he-Marth. Is she hiding behind him?

Looks like we'll get almost complete clones this time. Lucina's different attributes makes her a solid alternative for Marth mains.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It's difficult to know how to interpret "her physical abilities are identical". He could be referring to the animations, the general execution of each move, the physics, knockback and damage or all of the above. Too difficult to say as of yet.

If it's a choice between no Lucina or clone Lucina, give me clone Lucina anyday!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Okay, let's be real guys, they either make her a near complete clone or they add her as a custom skin. Which one would you guys prefer? Making a new character takes resources and time. It was either make her a clone or not have the time to make another new character.

Also, she is also a complete clone. The latest Miiverse post says that she fights almost exactly like mMarth, except
A: She's shorter, and
B: Her attacks are strong at all parts of her blade, while Marth was strongest at the tip.
And Samus is the most powerful character in the game. Let's see Lucina in action first before we trust Sakurai's wording. He might be holding some stuff back.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been looking at the images side by side and Lucina's Falchion seems to be a bit longer than Marth's one.

Could this be another little buff she has to compensate for the lack of the tipper damage?

Or an obvious joke I'm missing?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I personally can't see Sakurai endorsing a full blown copy-pasta-but-without-tipper. Sure, I'm hella hyped for Lucina and won't accept the worst until it's confirmed due to my bias, but it doesn't seem right to me and I expect there to be more to her kit than is being let on.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It could be. Are there are any other images around that could provide another comparison?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It could be. Are there are any other images around that could provide another comparison?
No, that was the only one I could find. All the others have one of the swords obscured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom