• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is in the Brawl! - General Discussion

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
My opinion towards this new character is:
HOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOmGOMGOMGOMG !!!!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ness making it in before Young Link would kill me.

*goes to write will*

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
How this update saddens me so, but it also makes me very happy at the same time.

Good Vibes: Lucas confirmed. We get a better EB rep. He has personality. From the latest game. Change of EB3 coming on to Ameica. He seems better.

Bad Vibes: Pure EB fans feel the pain on what happened. They were with Ness from the start. Who cares if he stunk? He was still the character they knew and loved.

I'm still thinking they'll both be in. Nobody is changing my mind.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
His hairdo is very suave. I bet he gets all the ladies.
All the water fowl is more like it.

My friend noticed that his hair looks strikingly similar to the behind of a duck and its right wing.

Smash Ace
Whoa, I see it too alll of a sudden.

I hope Ness gets in before Young Link.

at least Ness had a KO move

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
This forum disappoints me. They just blow off Ness, one of the coolest character of the series, and say "HEY! WELCOME LUCAS! YOUR COOLER, BETTER MOVES, MORE PERSONALITY! WHAT MORE COULD YOU LOVE?".

Seriously. If Ness still keeps PK Flash, Fire, and Thunder, how much you want to bet that they will be fixed in a way (Except for PK Fire, because that was normal.).

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I don't get the idea of there being "a wasted spot" with a character. How can there be a wasted spot with Sakurai running the show?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm glad they went with more of a 64 take on the Mother style. Melee's Ness was such a fatty.
His useful traits exercise the mind, not the body. What do you expect?

I loved using Ness in 64 and Melee, but since I've never played a Mother game, I have no attachment to him. As far as I'm concerned, Lucas looks to be the same character I know and love, with better hair. Works for me.

P. S. My first thought when looking at Lucas' hair was "Jimmy Neutron". Only, if Jimmy's hair were actually cool.

RWB

Smash Ace
How this update saddens me so, but it also makes me very happy at the same time.

Good Vibes: Lucas confirmed. We get a better EB rep. He has personality. From the latest game. Change of EB3 coming on to Ameica. He seems better.

Bad Vibes: Pure EB fans feel the pain on what happened. They were with Ness from the start. Who cares if he stunk? He was still the character they knew and loved.

I'm still thinking they'll both be in. Nobody is changing my mind.
Um, Ninten was the first Mother/Earthbound hero, not Ness.

D

Deleted member

Now, for some reason, I am having High Doubts about Ness this time. =/ Both would be great and Claus in it along with them would be perfect but, frankly it won't feel the same to me without Ness.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh, believe me, I know exactly what it looks like.

But anything's better than Ness' mop top (except, like, bald spots and such).

Lucas may have duck-shaped/Jimmy Neutron/frozen yogurt hair, but it's still cool.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, probably because it's the thing that differentiates him from Ness the most.
That's right; if Lucas had a hat, the differences between him and Ness would be far fewer.

And because it's glorious.
It's certainly more, ducky.

But it's way better than Jimmy Neutron's at least.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Sure: Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck...

But I'd be concerned for Lucas if he happens to find himself by a pond.

Duck: "Ooh, nice a**.<3"
Awe. That's mean, but hardly arguable.

Too be honest though, I'd be more concerned for that duck.

Lucas: "PK KILL YOU WITH MY MIND, *****"

*duck a'splodes*

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
This update got me so excited! Way to go, Sakurai-san! :bigthumbu

Someone with PhotoShop etc. abilities: can you make a nice little add-on using this picture that says "SSBB" in the upper-right and "Lucas User" in the bottom-left? That would be wonderful.

Now we can get some official add-ons with these awesome renders!

Awe. That's mean, but hardly arguable.

Too be honest though, I'd be more concerned for that duck.

Lucas: "PK KILL YOU WITH MY MIND, *****"

*duck a'splodes*
Isn't lucas supposed to be a shy little timid boy who always cries? He'd probably just cry while the duck ***** his head...

Ness however has a baseball cap so he's manly and he would ***** slap the duck then proceed to **** it with a baseball bat

Sinn

Smash Lord
Me on another thread:

Ness is a generic MOTHER hero. If Ninten were the Smash character then everybody would say he is OMG IMPORTANT instead.

Lucas is just the next step in the MOTHER hero stereotype. I wonder why Ness is suddenly so important and vital to the Nintendo story. Zelda fans accepted Twilight Link and Zelda. Why the MOTHER fanbase is being so reticent about a character that is an identical replica of the last one without cap and bag.

Lucas is actually better because he has a personality and gets some real character development in his game.

and his hair is cool.
Me on this thread:

And this whole comparison I've seen a few people make with Ness is to Lucas as OoT Link is to TP Link is NOT even REMOTELY close. For starters, even though it's been established that there is more than one individual Link in the Zelda franchise timeline, it's ALSO been established (over a LARGE number of games, not just three) that most all of these Links are essentially the same character; they have the same name, they have the same destiny, they have the same powers, heck, they even use the same **** weapon (THE Master Sword) to defeat the same **** villain. On top of that, If this comparison is so accurate, why the Hell didn't they stick Lucas in the veteran area (since he IS just the "new Ness" according to them) or put TP Link in the newcomers' area?

This was the one pick I raised an eyebrow on.

Lucas is set to replace Ness obviously, the thing that would suck is if he were a Ness clone.
Also me on this thread:

Of course, if he IS different enough to be an entirely new character, then this just makes it ridiculous for Sakurai to just throw out Ness's character. But that doesn't seem to be what most people are assuming.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Lol its obviouis Ness will also be in, why would he take out Ness? do yoiu think Sakurai even knows what the best melee characters are, to his eyes fox is just as important as ness or CF, lol its almost certain withou a doubt ness will be in, he might even be the unlockable along with the Captain (CF).

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
And this whole comparison I've seen a few people make with Ness is to Lucas as OoT Link is to TP Link is NOT even REMOTELY close. For starters, even though it's been established that there is more than one individual Link in the Zelda franchise timeline, it's ALSO been established (over a LARGE number of games, not just three) that most all of these Links are essentially the same character; they have the same name, they have the same destiny, they have the same powers, heck, they even use the same **** weapon (THE Master Sword) to defeat the same **** villain.
Exact same thing with Ness and Lucas, point?
On top of that, If this comparison is so accurate, why the Hell didn't they stick Lucas in the veteran area (since he IS just the "new Ness" according to them) or put TP Link in the newcomers' area?
Because Lucas is a different character by name, so he counts as a newcomer, but he'll most likely be the same as Ness like he is in his own game.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
If Lucas' recovery does not depend on a stupid thunder jolt, he will leap up two tiers from Ness' position. XD

Sinn

Smash Lord
Because Lucas is a different character by name, so he counts as a newcomer, but he'll most likely be the same as Ness like he is in his own game.
Do you NOT consider taking an existing moveset and slapping a new skin onto it (as they've done to just about EVERY veteran so far, though some more drastically than others) to be the same character? Every other newcomer has something distinctively NEW about them that separates them from every previously existing character in the game. If they make him play exactly like Ness in Lucas's clothing, how is that even remotely new?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Lucas' recovery does not depend on a stupid thunder jolt, he will leap up two tiers from Ness' position. XD
Well, it can still do that. Maybe Lucas will fire a PK Thunder and the recoil serves as a recovery.

Top Bottom