• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is in the Brawl! - General Discussion

Iggy K

Smash Ace
All I can say is that if they don't re-release a "MOTHER: Trilogy Edition" internationally, whoever is in charge of the decision should be shot.
I'd be able to accept Ness being replaced by Lucas if this happened.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
... Can you read? When did he say in that post that he thought Lucas had no chance at all? All he said was that Ness was one of his favourites.
That's not the point.

Somehow, people think that just because they aren't familar with the character, they don't deserve to be in or replace an older one.

That isn't true, Lucas has every right to be in, and replace Ness, which he most likely will.

dk64

Smash Cadet
the ginyu force of power rangers?

so far, lucas just looks like ness w/ a blonde jimmy neutron hairstyle. and i bet he plays like ness too. so to me, id till be playing as ness, but juz w/ a mini make over, so i don't mind him replacing him. but than again i've never played any earthbound/mother games, and i don't use ness much in smash either. ....btw, luke groundwalker, is the pic in yer sig suposed 2 be the power rangers version of the ginyu force or sumthin?:confused: well looking at it again, it could also be there version of starfox and crew?

GenG

Smash Lord
This is a very good day indeed.

Ness isn't god and MOTHER 2 isn't the only game in the franchise. Sakurai knew that MOTHER should take a step forward Smash-wise.

Prepare for [MOTHER 3 SPOILERS]
New Pork Town as a stage, Ultimate Chimera as an AT, Saturn table as an item.
The party has just started and will be awesome.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
LOL @ all the people who said Ness was confirmed

Florida

イーグランツ
Congratulations all Lucas-supporters!
Who didn't want this guy in? >.>
Now I seriously want a Special Moves, or even a Final Smash update on this guy!

And in other news, I showed my mom Lucas' character profile, and this was her response:

"Jimmy is in your game?". Cracked me up!
... so yeah! Congrats! w00t, w00t and what not.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
also put mother3 in the title since lucas is also the name of the male pokemon trainer in the 4th generation

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I couldn't care less about Ness or Lucas, but you guys are pretty dumb if you don't consider the possibility that they could both be in. It isn't like Sakurai is very limited in the creativity dept....

GenG

Smash Lord
Ness does represent the first Earthbound game in America. It would be stupid to ditch him.
First, only and forgotten.

Ness got in SSB because Japan, not the US. US never said anything about the MOTHER franchise, which BY A CHANCE had the second game released there.

NOA even doesn't acknowledge this game was actually released in the US.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Hey all, all this Earthbound talk has me wondering if I should download a rom for it to try it out. Is it a good game? Do I need to play Mother 1 before I play 2?

Fawriel

Smash Master
1 and 2 are practically unrelated.
It's definitely worth checking out if you like rpgs with good gameplay, innovations and overall quirky style and if you don't demand realistic, super-awesome graphics.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Where is there proof anywhere that Sakurai said that none of the original 12 characters from the first game wouldn't get cut? Opinions such as "they must have the original 12" or "not having the original 12 would be injustice" doesn't change what may already be set in stone. I'm not saying Ness is out, unlike many others who are super quick to jump to conclusions and act like they know more then what we actually learned about the game.

As for Lucas replacing Ness in Melee, that was quite awhile ago. Who's to say Sakurai feels the same way now as he did back in 2001?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't care less about Ness or Lucas, but you guys are pretty dumb if you don't consider the possibility that they could both be in. It isn't like Sakurai is very limited in the creativity dept....
Looks like someone gets it.

I personaly perfer Lucas over Ness.
Ness is a big deal to me because Earthbound was the first RPG I ever played, back in elementary school, and Ness was the character I idolized(and eventually used as my main in N64). It's really no other reason for me than sentimentality.

Sinn

Smash Lord
NOA even doesn't acknowledge this game was actually released in the US.
Well that sure is ignorant of them.

In any case, I think I decided what it is about this whole thing that moderately pisses me off.

When I see a post about a brand new character that's never been in the game before, my first reaction is, "I wonder how they'll play...?" If this kid really does turn out to be nothing more than a clone of Ness (which would be the most likely case for Ness to be cut), then I personally feel that this really cheapens the meaning of having a "new" character in the game. It's NOT a new character. It's an OLD character with a new skin. Whoopdie-**q*in'-doo.

And this whole comparison I've seen a few people make with Ness is to Lucas as OoT Link is to TP Link is NOT even REMOTELY close. For starters, even though it's been established that there is more than one individual Link in the Zelda franchise timeline, it's ALSO been established (over a LARGE number of games, not just three) that most all of these Links are essentially the same character; they have the same name, they have the same destiny, they have the same powers, heck, they even use the same **** weapon (THE Master Sword) to defeat the same **** villain. On top of that, If this comparison is so accurate, why the Hell didn't they stick Lucas in the veteran area (since he IS just the "new Ness" according to them) or put TP Link in the newcomers' area?

Of course, if he IS different enough to be an entirely new character, then this just makes it ridiculous for Sakurai to just throw out Ness's character. But that doesn't seem to be what most people are assuming.

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
Im not gonna read other pages comments, but Lucas uses Nesse`s Nair and Fair in the pictures.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
It looked like they gave Lucas a little more range as opposed to Ness. I hope they make him actually good in this game.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Im not gonna read other pages comments, but Lucas uses Nesse`s Nair and Fair in the pictures.
...So in other words, you're going to be consciously ignorant? :( I hope this doesn't become some sort of disturbing trend among the general posting populace.

His moves don't look to be exact copies, but those two moves look similar-ish to Ness's corresponding moves. It's too early to say yet, though.

courte

Smash Lord
hopes

for a nintendo overload

fox krystal falco wolf
kirdy meta knight dee dee
Samus Ridley ?????
Lucas Ness Poo ??????
Donkey Diddy some ??? team
bring back gw throw in paper mario and give celda link a vaati to kick ***

Snake(raiden in some form, an outfit maybe) one castle vania (between simon and alucard
because while simon has the nintendo exclusive status, alucards just badass and would fit in brawl)
Sonic (team>?????), ...i dunno akira yuki
Megaman original, mmz zero (has been on gba every game)

please send back hate

Igneous42

Smash Ace
since i've never played earthbound i'm pretty much meh on this update. Not that I don't like him, he seems cool a welcomed addition. But at the same time I expected his to get in so not much excitement for me personally.

Even though I have never played earthbound I hope Ness retruns too. I think Mother seems popular enough to deserve two reps. But if Ness must leave then oh well

I don't like lucas... He looks like one of those kids you know are going to be gay they when they grow up... >_>; Although I'd rather him replace ness than them be separate characters cause I don't want them to waste a good character space...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
First off, 'Lucas' is a far better name than 'Ness'.

Second, Lucas looks far cooler than Ness.

Third, I also hope that a perfectly good character slot is not wasted on Ness' return. >_>

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
His hairdo is very suave. I bet he gets all the ladies.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Me on another thread:

Ness is a generic MOTHER hero. If Ninten were the Smash character then everybody would say he is OMG IMPORTANT instead.

Lucas is just the next step in the MOTHER hero stereotype. I wonder why Ness is suddenly so important and vital to the Nintendo story. Zelda fans accepted Twilight Link and Zelda. Why the MOTHER fanbase is being so reticent about a character that is an identical replica of the last one without cap and bag.

Lucas is actually better because he has a personality and gets some real character development in his game.

and his hair is cool.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
Me on another thread:

Ness is a generic MOTHER hero. If Ninten were the Smash character then everybody would say he is OMG IMPORTANT instead.

Lucas is just the next step in the MOTHER hero stereotype. I wonder why Ness is suddenly so important and vital to the Nintendo story. Zelda fans accepted Twilight Link and Zelda. Why the MOTHER fanbase is being so reticent about a character that is an identical replica of the last one without cap and bag.

Lucas is actually better because he has a personality and gets some real character development in his game.

and his hair is cool.
yea i dunno but the way i see it is ice climbers came back and everyone thought they were gone for sure, it just seems like they wont be taking out characters from the melee roster except for a couple and i dont see ness as one of them

Top Bottom