• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is in the Brawl! - General Discussion

Little Red Corvette

Smash Apprentice
This update is amazing - looks like he might not be a Ness clone.

Which of Ness's moves is that?

Edit: Actually, that might be PK Thunder. ****.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
****it, I hope he doesn't end up replacing Ness.

Not that I hate Lucas or anything... and not that I didn't see it coming, but come on!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
A note about my star rankings: The descriptions are just to give you an idea about what it might contain and shouldn't be considered gospel truth that all sets within have all elements of it. Mostly, consider what the numbers mean. 10 is best, 0 is worst, 5 is average, 6 above average etc

Star Rating Explanation​

- 10 Stars(1 Ranked): Yes, I actually give out ten stars. 10 star represents the best movesets and usually have a strong playstyle, excellent execution, cool concept or the like, and on top of that, usually have something I personally find exceptional, be it from exceptional character (which can easily put a high 9 into 10), exceptional execution of a tough concept, an exceptionally creative concept or so on. These are rare, but I usually put out about 1 a contest.

- 9 Stars (5 Ranked): Nine Star may sit a tier below, but these sets are still quite amazing, and represent the "top" tier below "best". These sets share similar qualities to a 10 star set, tight knit playstyles and/or cool concepts and/or amazing execution or the like, but they usually have a collection of little nagging problems or a single large problem that keep them from the coveted 10 stars, or they lack "exceptionality" that pushes them over the top.

- 8 Stars(8 Ranked): Eight star sets usually contain some greatness, for it is the "Great" tier below "Top", but they have flaws which I cannot overlook, characterization issues, weaker concepts or execution and so on, which keeps them more on the level of great sets that may not be as fondly remembered later on.

- 7 Stars(8 Ranked): Seven star is "good", the sets that you see and think "that's good", but just don't hit the marks of greatness. Maybe it's a lack of expansion of the concept, a shaky execution, no heart in the characterization, or some lackluster sections, but these sets simply stay in the spot of good, not great. Usually, sets with a lot of good and a lot of bad tend to end up here or in 6/5 as well.

- 6 Stars(10 Ranked): Six star is "above average". They're better than your average set, sure, but they don't exactly speak to me, or are heavily flawed, or are simply average sets with just enough enjoyment to them to put them a smidge higher, or what have you.

- 5 Stars(3 Ranked): Five stars is "average". It's hard to describe average, but that's what it is, something in the middle that I don't find especially good or bad, such as a moveset with a little good and a little bad, a general moveset that doesn't do anything offensive, or something with such large drops between good and bad that I can't get behind it either way. Average.

- 4 Stars(3 Ranked): For 4 stars, it is "below average". It isn't horribly bad or anything, but it's getting there, issues are starting to outweigh positives, maybe the characterization is far off your average-ish set, you've got some unavoidable number issues or your execution just wasn't up to snuff, but I can't get behind the set, though these sets fairly often have hidden gem concepts to be shined by later movesets.

- 3 Stars(4 Ranked): Three stars is when we get into "bad". These movesets actively detract from me a good deal and begin to lose redeeming elements, and often contain multiple large issues, such as terrible execution, lacking playstyle and bland or bad characterization, yet they lack the means to be truly, memorably bad.

- 2 Stars(5 Ranked): Two stars is "Bottom", and you've about hit rock bottom and have numerous issues that probably require large scale changing of your moveset, yet you lack the exceptional awfulness characteristic of the truly terrible 1 star movesets, and you usually fail to break the game.

- 1 Star(2 Ranked): At one star, the moveset is LOOOOOOOOATHED ENTIIIIIIIIIIIRELY.

---

Ranked Movesets

Number of MYM19 Sets Ranked: 49

Ghostface
10/10

Doomfist
9/10

Supreme Leader Snoke
9/10

Ziz
9/10

Ribby & Croaks
9/10

Grim Matchsticks (MasterWarlord)
9/10

F.A.N.G.
8/10

Bunny the Honeywhite
8/10

DeGrey
8/10

Werner Werman
8/10

Shallotte Elminus
8/10

Recoome
8/10

Jaina Stormborne
8/10

Burter
8/10

Guldo
7/10

Cuphead
7/10

Pigma Dengar
7/10

Valerie Rose
7/10

Captain Ginyu
7/10

Dr. Kahl
7/10

Anaxa
7/10

Junkrat
7/10

Djimmi the Great
6/10

Bomb King
6/10

Iris
6/10

Baroness von Bon Bon
6/10

Kamen Rider Cronus
6/10

Hockey Man
6/10

Goopy Le Grande
6/10

The Root Pack
6/10

Grim Matchsticks (ProfPeanut)
6/10

Hilda Berg
6/10

Doc To
5/10

Hee-Mo
5/10

Copen v2.0
5/10

Wally Warbles
4/10

Judy Hopps
4/10

Dante v2.0
4/10

Peacock
3/10

The Devil
3/10

Cala Maria
3/10

Captain Metal
3/10

Arthas Menethil
2/10

Blaster-Tron
2/10

Captain Brineybeard
2/10

Don Armage
2/10

Minimalist Jay
2/10

Punch Time Explosion XL Aku
2/10

Rumor Honeybottoms
1/10

Color TV Game-15
1/10

Last edited:

iMichael

Smash Lord
Ness imo looked way cooler lol Ness=backpack, bat, chuck taylors, HAT!...Lucas is a square lol

ReXXXSoprano

Smash Cadet
I guess I have to accept that Ness is gone now. I still think it sucks. But I will except Lucas. And here's hoping we get a release of Mother 3. Welcome to the Smash family, Lucas!!

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
the way sakurai phrased him as maybe being able to surpass ness in power, makes me think that ness will be in the game. as if lucas is "challenging" ness

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Lucas confirmed. Not surprised. Congratulations for those who were hoping for this day to come.

Iggy K

Smash Ace

That looks pretty big for a PK Thunder. There's still hope for Ness!

If Lucas isn't replacing Ness, I'm happy he's in. If he is replacing him... Well, I know who my punching bag in Brawl is going to be.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I guess I have to accept that Ness is gone now. I still think it sucks. But I will except Lucas. And here's hoping we get a release of Mother 3. Welcome to the Smash family, Lucas!!
seriously why do you think this wtf

You can have BOTH NESS AND LUCAS in the game!!!

The disc won't explode if Sakurai decides to put them both in the game!

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice

You're right. The whole Wii will.
I don't know anything about Mother, but do all the main characters wear striped shirts?

EricShiznit

Smash Cadet
Lucas is like a carbon copy of Ness.

I was rooting for Ness over Lucas before, but I hope Ness is gone now. Two little psychic boys with striped clothes is too many for me.

WolfS2

Smash Rookie

That looks more like the Aerial Forward A.

*gulp* But I shall keep hope for Ness's return. (Even though they tried to give him the boot in Melee)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

It'll cause some kind of temporal distortion...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The only reason everyone thinks Ness is gone is because some Earthbound fansite claimed to have an inside source that told them that Lucas would replace Ness. Now they think that this update proves that they were telling the truth. This update doesn't prove anything, except that Lucas is in the game.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
^_^ Lucas, and omg I thought Ness looked young in Melee; Lucas looks like he's three year's old :/

Well as Sakurai said something about Lucas supassing Ness in power leads me to belive that Ness is not returning (as I thought anyway). Ness will be an alt costume most likely.

-Knight

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
'Bout time we got another newcomer I say, since last month lacked any. To me, this was rather unexpected. Not that I ever really supported the character or even known him, but still. I wonder if this could brighten an already large flame in fans wanting Mother 3 to come to America.

I'm sure there are people acting like Ness is already gone. Him and Lucas may have similar connections, but otherwise there's no proof either way. I guess all we can do now is wait for more updates and hopefully seen Lucas in action to see just how similar his moves might be to Ness'.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The only reason everyone thinks Ness is gone is because some Earthbound fansite claimed to have an inside source that told them that Lucas would replace Ness. Now they think that this update proves that they were telling the truth. This update doesn't prove anything, except that Lucas is in the game.
You should check your sources. On the Japanese Nintendo/Melee site Sakurai said that if Mother 3 had come out before Melee Lucas would have replaced Ness.

Top Bottom